Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E11: The Newest Food Network Star

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, wings707 said:

Addie is so square. No one wears clothes like that when pregnant anymore.  I didn't in the 70s either!

11 hours ago, srpturtle80 said:

Why was Addie wearing a nightgown that my 90 year old Grandmother would wear?

I'd usually agree with both of you, but she was so big it was probably the only thing she could get to fit her!

17 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

I'd usually agree with both of you, but she was so big it was probably the only thing she could get to fit her!

A black or navy dress is always available.  Covering your ponderous bulk with flowers is never good.  

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, wings707 said:

A black or navy dress is always available.  Covering your ponderous bulk with flowers is never good.  

She was probably big because of her baby boy!

easyelegantentertaining.com/baby/

Edited by Simon47
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, spiderpig said:

With this episode, Giada's teeth officially became bigger than her entire head.

Funniest thing ever.  Now that the season is over, not sure what I'll do with my "Mystery Science Theater" commentary on her each episode.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, Simon47 said:

She was probably big because of her baby boy!

easyelegantentertaining.com/baby/

Yes we are talking about maternity dress choices.  It was announced she is pregnant if you couldn't see for yourself.  lol

7 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

I definitely think there's something to the theory of Bobby being jealous Cory might steal his thunder. Because he would.

Nah.  Bobby is not threatened by any of these contestants! 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4

How does the person with the worst pilot win? Oh right predetermined winner...Corey should've won based on pilots along (which is should be given that's the final product of the "mentoring")

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Skyfall said:

How does the person with the worst pilot win? Oh right predetermined winner...

I'm pretty sure this is the reason behind Matthew's non-plussed face in this ep. When they started off with "Whee, look at the Great Southern Star face-off!", he must have known he'd never had a chance in hell against the opportunity to make a bullshit themed finale.

• Love 4

I liked Corey enough that I even gave him a pass for not stepping up right away and admitting that he'd added peppers to his team's dish in the beat Bobby Flay episode. I wanted him to win FNS, in hopes that someone in production might screw up and give us some actual cooking on the Food Network. But I want to slap him for the crowing over beating Bobby Flay. He was cooking his signature dish in one hour, while Bobby Flay was cooking three somewhat familiar dishes in the same amount of time. Winning that wasn't exactly a huge accomplishment for a professional chef.

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, Passing Strange said:

I liked Corey enough that I even gave him a pass for not stepping up right away and admitting that he'd added peppers to his team's dish in the beat Bobby Flay episode. I wanted him to win FNS, in hopes that someone in production might screw up and give us some actual cooking on the Food Network. But I want to slap him for the crowing over beating Bobby Flay. He was cooking his signature dish in one hour, while Bobby Flay was cooking three somewhat familiar dishes in the same amount of time. Winning that wasn't exactly a huge accomplishment for a professional chef.

I certainly can't agree more. I didn't think that was funny, nor did I like it one bit.

None of these past Star winners have given me a COOKING show. It's weird. Where do I find Justin? Lenny? Damaris? Melissa? Ugh. They're all unwatchable anyway.

JTLYK, I am posting a new topic that gives congrats to Jason, our newest addition to the Food Network.

• Love 3

Thank goodness that's over. The entire season felt to me like it was completely scripted, including Jason winning, and including Matthew returning as the "comeback kid" and then getting eliminated just before he finally got to shoot his beloved pilot.

Whatever you think of Matthew, the only think he did wrong that got him eliminated was not mentioning a "personal story." Which Cory did, but he failed to even mention what fish he was cooking, and Rusty did, but he froze up and stammered through his presentation. That someone so unable to speak on camera can be the runner-up shows how ridiculous this show has become.

Did anyone else notice that, probably because of legal reasons, FN Star is no longer even saying that the winner gets a show?  They're using some kind of weasel language like, "the winner gets to join the Food Network family." At least with Jason they can utilize his baking expertise and have him be a judge on any of their multiple baking competition shows.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 6

I'd watch a stand and stir baking show with Jason. I watched him on Holiday Baking and he knows desserts.  Like others, he could replace Damiano in judging food competitions and I'd be happy.  I suspect we'll also see Corey back again. It isn't like many of these folks ever really go away. 

Apparently I was not paying attention to this show so much I had no idea that Addie was pregnant until I came here. 

• Love 3

The judges were trying to tell us that they know better than we do.  When Cory was eliminated first, I knew the fix was in.  No way was he worse than Rusty!  Bobby's ego couldn't take a defeat to Cory, and Giada was grinning in Jason's pocket from the start.  Next stop for Cory: Top Chef, where cooking counts for something.

• Love 9

FROM TWITTER:

ChefCoryBahr@ chefcorybahr   14 HRS

Beat @bflay. He also said I cooked the best dish he's had in a long time and best food in 13 seasons of #Food Network Star.  I'm happy.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 3

I did feel bad for Cory. His pilot was great. Why in the world would they get rid of the best chef in a competition supposedly looking for people with food authority? Were they afraid he'd be nipping at Bobby's heels? They both have the same "stoic white guy who knows his shit" vibe. 

That's a good point! Bobby does seem more natural with his efforts at humor, but he has had loads more time in front of the camera. Cory would have loosened up over time.

For a moment, at the end (and remembering how Rusty shockingly, to me at least, beat out the two most recently departed contestants), I worried that Rusty had pictures of someone at FN fornicating with a goat. Whew.

Jason is fine. And I don't think he's fake, just an amped up version of himself. The other contestants seemed to genuinely like him.

And Lord, honey, I felt for Addie being 206 months pregnant (I had twins) for the final show and being newly probably yucky-feeling pregnant during her run on the show. While I don't think she was going to win, I wonder if some of the subdued nature of her personality came from feeling sick as shit all day long.

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, Gardencrown said:

While I don't think she was going to win, I wonder if some of the subdued nature of her personality came from feeling sick as shit all day

I wondered that too.

I liked her. She was calm. I knew she wouldn't win, but I wouldn't mind her, or someone like her.  All the frenetic hand gestures and big expressions can get tiresome. 

A woman once asked me to explain some information to her like she was a toddler. At the time,  I thought it was funny, but odd. And then I thought about it. That's exactly what I want too! Just break it down and make it simple. 

Someone like Addie would be great for that. I liked that about Ina Garten as well. 

• Love 3

Addie is a very great contender, I thought. She is a certified chef for Martha Stewart - I mean, really! And she's having a baby. I guess she's on maternity leave.

34 minutes ago, Gardencrown said:

And Lord, honey, I felt for Addie being 206 months pregnant (I had twins) for the final show and being newly probably yucky-feeling pregnant during her run on the show. While I don't think she was going to win, I wonder if some of the subdued nature of her personality came from feeling sick as shit all day long.

Oh @Gardencrown, LOL! She was not 206 months pregnant! My wife got pregnant in 2005 and then she had Hotel Diva in 2006. She ain't no Addie.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, joanne3482 said:

I'd watch a stand and stir baking show with Jason. I watched him on Holiday Baking and he knows desserts.  Like others, he could replace Damiano in judging food competitions and I'd be happy.  I suspect we'll also see Corey back again. It isn't like many of these folks ever really go away. 

Apparently I was not paying attention to this show so much I had no idea that Addie was pregnant until I came here. 

No one knew during the show, she kept that to herself.  She showed up so far along it could not be denied!  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Anyway, the pilots used to be a vehicle for the contestants (I can't call them cheftestants here) to showcase their points of view, and now it's just three guys being told where to go, to watch someone else cook and then gush over what they're eating.  That's FN now, I guess. 

Exactly. They keep pushing POV & "stories", but it makes absolutely no difference because FN is just going to stick the winner into whatever show they have waiting. Eddie Jackson started with a POV of "cheat day" then suddenly switched to "healthy" eating, so of course they gave him a BBQ show when he won. 

• Love 6

Ah'll betcha Jason knew all along that he was gonna win this thang.  The tothers practiced in front uh mirrors, while Jason was busy keepin' lists uh funny sayin's.  Lahk the one about the biskits gettin' buttered, or were they buns?  Anyhoo, you know what ah mean.  Jason has ta be as ex-sahted as a hen layin' uh pahl uh double-yolk eggs!  All uh them people who bullied him when he wuz a youngun' are gittin' their payback.  He's the new king uh Podunk County.  Jist imagine the wear he's gonna git outta them fancy duds! 

Jason is a mahty fine winnuh, but ah'm pourin' tears lahk Meryl Streep ovah "mah Cory" goin' back ta Loo'sianna without so much as a smooch on the cheek (on mah face).  Sometahms lahf jist ain't explainable.                                                    

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Passing Strange said:

I liked Corey enough that I even gave him a pass for not stepping up right away and admitting that he'd added peppers to his team's dish in the beat Bobby Flay episode

Initially, he wasn't sure that David didn't also add peppers, thereby doubling up what he thought was only his peppers.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Hockeymom said:

. I just long for the days when I could tune in and get a recipe, maybe learn something. Remember when MTV played music? Five years from now, FN will just be a relic with screaming hosts and obstacle courses - maybe even a "Love at First Bite" dating show thrown in for good measure.

Is it wrong that I want to watch this show?  Three cheftestant daters are chosen.  The featured bachelor/bachelorette describes their ideal meal.  The cheftestantants then have a limited amount of time to cook a meal they think will impress him/her. There is a blind taste testing and the winner gets a date.

• Love 10
25 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Initially, he wasn't sure that David didn't also add peppers, thereby doubling up what he thought was only his peppers.

You're nicer than I am. It did appear that he waited for David to confirm that he, David, had used dried tomatoes and not peppers. But after that Cory still didn't own up to the peppers until Anne asked point blank.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Psychobunny said:

Is it wrong that I want to watch this show?  Three cheftestant daters are chosen.  The featured bachelor/bachelorette describes their ideal meal.  The cheftestantants then have a limited amount of time to cook a meal they think will impress him/her. There is a blind taste testing and the winner gets a date.

Oh shit! That's brilliant! Count me in!

19 hours ago, Whimsy said:

Who else FF'd about 95% of this? I started watching it about 50 minutes after it started and just finished watching.  I only watched the "pilots" and the results.  I thought all the pilots had cringeworthy moments. Why do all of these pilots have to be modeled after DDD?

I'd say I was closer to 98% with the FF button. Once Giana flashed those ginormous choppers,  I sped thru up to the point where Corey got his thanks but no thanks send off, then just kept zooming to the 57.44 mark.  Yay for Jason.  I bet Corey &/or Rusty will be back on this network or its sister channel.  I also wouldn't be surprised if Matthew pops up again like the world's most annoying Whack-a-Mole denizen.

See you all around for the next reincarnation of Halloween Wars or Holiday Baking!

37 minutes ago, Passing Strange said:

You're nicer than I am. It did appear that he waited for David to confirm that he, David, had used dried tomatoes and not peppers. But after that Cory still didn't own up to the peppers until Anne asked point blank.

This show is heavily edited. Believe me, he wasn't sure what happened. Trust me on this one. :)

• Love 3

The most I liked Jason was during the bloopers when he was talking to the crew and wasn't "on". I know they want the contestants to ALWAYS BE CRANKED TO 11 and maybe that's what sells, but I will slink back to the BBC/OZ cooking shows and enjoy the silence! 

Giada's smile looks like she is wearing those dental wideners they put in your mouth when they clean your teeth.

I was half-assed watching, did they feature Matthew at all?  

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

I was half-assed watching, did they feature Matthew at all?  

No, he wasn't "featured."  He was shown in the group shots, of course, and there were a couple of quick shots of him smiling.  He wore his "I'm a good sport" face.

• Love 1

I was trying to figure out if having a thick accent would affect your pronunciation of foreign words--and I decided it shouldn't.  So Jason and his "Bone JURE!" was just giving us another heapin' helpin' of his Kentucky-fried hick schtick.  I thought it was a little embarrassing.

That's all I have.  ::shrug::

• Love 5

So in the most anti climatic finale since Guy FEE-Etti won, the Lexington Liberace of the Trailer Park Set was this years predetermined winner. This choice will ensure a steady diet of Lord, Honeys and Sweet Baby Jesus' along with  head scratching sayin's on whatever shows he pops up on. As previously mentioned, when they showed him behind the scenes acting somewhat normal he is much easier to digest. But his cornpone B List Hee Haw act gets tiresome real quick and in my mind at least, makes him seem anything BUT an authority. BTW, that fondued potatoes (or should I say taters), looked disgusting. 

Cory getting the (needlessly cruel) early boot was a shock. He blew away the Screamin' Cajun and his idiotic Harya Dern's. The Mexican in the kitchen with loud Rusty seemed extremely uncomfortable, almost as bad as we have felt this season. 

The scenes with Bobby and Giada were weird. The eyebrow thing and then the mustache joke seemed out of place, and somewhat cruel on Flays part. Hard to be sympathetic to the phony Giada, but that called for some. 

Glad Matt was reduced to being a smirking jerk in the background for a change. 

Once again, a pathetic crew of characters and really just one decent chef in the bunch. Who unfortunately was terrible in front of a live camera.

• Love 11
10 hours ago, wings707 said:

I agree with you, it's never good, but she probably didn't own anything that would fit and was so uncomfortable she couldn't deal with going shopping and just took the dress her mother dragged down from the attic.  She was probably beyond the point of caring how it looked.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

I agree with you, it's never good, but she probably didn't own anything that would fit and was so uncomfortable she couldn't deal with going shopping and just took the dress her mother dragged down from the attic.  She was probably beyond the point of caring how it looked.

I thought her dress was pretty on trend. It looked like a lot of those D&G and Gucci "whimsical" prints and embroidered dresses from last season. For my money, I couldn't believe they made her sit up on those stools the rest were perched on! 

I had a few minutes of panic when they inexplicably eliminated Cory and kept that Coronary Waiting to Happen with his meat spanking and hulking and spittaling all over that poor Mexican fellow. That was just awful. I mean, of course, I'm not at all that invested in this but it's the principle of the thing! 

Anyway, I'm ok with Jason - particularly given the alternative we were left with. I think comparisons to Paula are OTT. He's not nearly as awful as Paula and he does know his desserts, as someone noted, so I would watch him.  Also, I think I remember him being more varied in his ingredients and flavors - not all maple/bourbon/nuts - in any case, his stuff shows some sophistication (you know, like I said, varied ingredients/flavors and techniques).

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Hockeymom said:

A woman once asked me to explain some information to her like she was a toddler. At the time,  I thought it was funny, but odd. And then I thought about it. That's exactly what I want too! Just break it down and make it simple. 

Reddit adopts this approach so often they've turned it into a saying. ELI5: Explain Like I'm Five.

• Love 3

I fell asleep and missed half of it, including Jason's pilot. I woke up in time to see him win.  I'm not inclined to go back and watch what I missed, but if Jason's pilot didn't convey that the cheese fondue at Monsieur Marcel's is one of the best things you will eat in your life, he failed -- and from reading these comments, it sounds like he failed.  Their cheese fondue is so good, and they serve it with delicious fresh bread.  Doesn't even compare to The Melting Pot.  Monsieur Marcel's is really in a different league from everywhere else at the Farmer's Market.   It also happens to be the same place where they had to go grocery shopping in the Beauty and the Beast episode.  

• Love 2

I don't get the Food Network Facebook page.  There's nothing but recipes posted every 5 minutes, and not one peep from the network on the FNS finale or Jason's win.  I saw a few posts by viewers congratulating him in the "community" section but other than that, crickets.  I don't get why all the changes with Facebook and now the fans don't have a good opportunity to post and see what others have to say.  It used to be much different.  I know the FN site has posts on the Food Network Star "blog" where people have posted to congratulate Jason, but even that is very low key now.  No more having a past star write blog posts.  It's all very ho-hum now.  Some sections of the site were not even updated this year at all!  Bummer!

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

I don't get the Food Network Facebook page.  There's nothing but recipes posted every 5 minutes, and not one peep from the network on the FNS finale or Jason's win.  I saw a few posts by viewers congratulating him in the "community" section but other than that, crickets.  I don't get why all the changes with Facebook and now the fans don't have a good opportunity to post and see what others have to say.  It used to be much different.  I know the FN site has posts on the Food Network Star "blog" where people have posted to congratulate Jason, but even that is very low key now.  No more having a past star write blog posts.  It's all very ho-hum now.  Some sections of the site were not even updated this year at all!  Bummer!

You know, having nothing better to do in my life I kick back and over-analyze this type of show.  Like - if they put it out of its misery, what would they replace it with?  We know under current network management it would be 1000x more irritating and not even have our wonderful snark factor.  Undoubtedly "Junior Food Network Star", for which we'd all have to order hemlock in mass quantities.

I'll keep watching, just like I keep eating those lousy crumbs at the bottom of a bag of chips.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

I'll keep watching, just like I keep eating those lousy crumbs at the bottom of a bag of chips.

It's almost like they're doing this show in spite of themselves anymore.  Like they hate it but they do it just because it's a cash cow and nothing else.  They don't even push it or encourage the fans anymore.  It's as if they want it to die a slow meaningless death.

But of course, they're pushing Hannah Hart like no tomorrow, meanwhile all the comments continue to be from people that say they're tired of the Guy F. travel/eat format and would rather watch real cooking shows.  It's unbelievable.  That's all I ever see people post on that site and yet all they give us is competitions and travel/eat shows.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, spiderpig said:

Undoubtedly "Junior Food Network Star", for which we'd all have to order hemlock in mass quantities.

"HAH YAH DERN? I'm Rusty and welcome to Kids' Hollerin' Hoedown! Which kid'll get a chance to host the next season of Hometown Hootenanny? Join me and my cohosts Pah Stahl and The Guy From Smashmouth for the most hootin', hollerin', and decibel-bustin' kids' show since Double Dare, y'all! Ooooo-weee!"

• Love 13
1 minute ago, ivygirl said:

"HAH YAH DERN? I'm Rusty and welcome to Kids' Hollerin' Hoedown! Which kid'll get a chance to host the next season of Hometown Hootenanny? Join me and my cohosts Pah Stahl and The Guy From Smashmouth for the most hootin', hollerin', and decibel-bustin' kids' show since Double Dare, y'all! Ooooo-weee!"

Ivygirl, you've nailed FN's target audience!

Now where do the rest of us go?  Cooking Channel offers about 4 shows that we've seen a hundred times.  Maybe we should start "PreviouslyTV Nummies Network" (except we'd probably get sued for copyright infringement).

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

But of course, they're pushing Hannah Hart like no tomorrow, meanwhile all the comments continue to be from people that say they're tired of the Guy F. travel/eat format and would rather watch real cooking shows.  

Very accurate. When I see the promos for Guy's new family vacation show, it reminds me of the jokes about watching someone elses home movies. I just don't get the hype, especially on a channel purportedly devoted to food. 

• Love 7