Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E10: Who Wants a Pilot?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Psychobunny said:

That led to me wondering if TFN has any out gay hosts, and the only one I could think of was Ron Ben-Israel.

The new host Hannah Hart is gay and out.  Per her Wiki page, she has a partner named Ella. 

I really felt for Matthew.  It does seem like TFN used him for heightened drama and that is terrible, especially for someone so clearly invested in this.  I'm hoping they find a way to use him in a positive role and let him mature as he goes along.  He'd be the most loyal member of FN ever.  I suppose I'd watch Jason but I do wish he would tone down his colloquialisms -- they're fun in very small doses.  Cory is my favorite of the three.  Rusty is super cool in his Zac Brown Band chef role -- why in the world does he want this?  My daughter went to one of the amazing ZBB eat-and-greets -- it had delicious food and a terrific atmosphere and the fans looooved it. 

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Psychobunny said:

This got me wondering if any of the finalists were married and if Jason is gay or just Southern.

Jason is out and has a partner.  I read it in a story about him after he won the Holiday Baking Championship.  ETA:  I can't find the story or any other mention of a partner, so I could be wrong. 

Edited by Thalia
I can't find original article.
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, candall said:

Naturally, Cory "fought his way back!" and the mustache-twirler villain is out.  They kept the unremarkable Rusty for the early elimination spot in the finale and the only question is whether they've decided to go with 'folksy eccentricity' or something more standard.

Could this show POSSIBLY be more engineered?  Pffft.

And he's still as dull as dishwater, but he can cook.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Thalia said:

Jason is out and has a partner.  I read it in a story about him after he won the Holiday Baking Championship.  

And because I like stirring the pot. I don't recall Bobby or Giada ever pushing for him to share that detail...

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Pallida said:

And because I like stirring the pot. I don't recall Bobby or Giada ever pushing for him to share that detail...

Okay, I just went searching, and I was sure I read this somewhere after he won.  And yes, it isn't anything that makes a lot of news.  But I am going to retract my statement, because I can't find it.  But I could have sworn I read that after he won HBC. 

That led to me wondering if TFN has any out gay hosts, and the only one I could think of was Ron Ben-Israel.

Ted Allen.  Anne Burrell.  Now departed Bob Tuschman.  I don't think FN has any bias against gay personnel.

I adore Ron Ben-Israel and wish we'd see more of him.  He and Jason together would be a hoot.

• Love 9

I totally forgot Ted Allen, Ann Burell and Cat Cora. FWIW, I don't see any bias at all on TFN. I just think Jason and Ron would be a hoot. Can't you just imagine Ron trying to figure out what Jason is trying to say?

• Love 3

Back to the episode, I felt badly for Matthew. Then I couldn't remember one single thing he ever cooked that looked like something I'd like to try. I am pissed that FN used the boy for fodder, but I just can't get on board with him ever having a show. 

• Love 5

My favorite part was when Matthew got sent home. Finally, the Elitist Emilia-contagious, smirking ego has gone. However, I do have to agree with everyone else. Matthew should have made it to the finale. I don't know why they kept Mr. New Orleans #2 over Matthew the ego. I thought he did his personal best when Reese was helping him in the first challenge. Glad Cory's back, though.

Speaking of Matthew and Emilia, there has been a noticeable decline in FNS since Tregaye Fraser Day. There have been less talented contestants, less likeable contestants, and more Guy Fieri type people, people who give a rat's hoot about being on here, obnoxious contestants. The resolution: Fogelson. Fogelson was very kind, nice, and less full of ego. Was she in Matthew's season? Everyone obeyed more with Fogelson and Tuschman. Gilda needs a replacement. Fogelson would be the best replacement.

18 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Will I be shot for saying I like Guy Fieri on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives? He really seems to be enjoying himself. I love seeing all of those awesome establishments.

Nope.  I think he does a great job explaining the food tastes, heat, textures, tenderness, bite and he shows appreciation and respect for the chef/cook even though I suspect sometimes the food isn't exactly his thing. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Psychobunny said:

That article linked upthread made me like Jason a little more.  I always was a little confused about how "home baker" reconciled with somebody who cooked for a living in a school.  The story now makes sense.  I also agree that they are inconsistent about how much or what kind of personal information they want you to share.  Apparently, you always need to talk about grandparents and children but not spouses.  This got me wondering if any of the finalists were married and if Jason is gay or just Southern.  That led to me wondering if TFN has any out gay hosts, and the only one I could think of was Ron Ben-Israel.  That is when I realized that I would pay good money for a show-any show-featuring Jason and Ron interacting.  I would watch them cook.  I would watch them travel to bakeries and talk about them. I would especially watch them in a modern version of Green Acres where they get married, move to Kentucky and open a bakery while living on Jason's farm.  How do I make this happen?????? (And if it does happen and is successful I want a cut of the syndication rights).

Ann Burrell. 

Cat Cora, Iron Chef. 

I'm sure others, but I don't see how any hosts sexuality is germane to their cooking skills.

• Love 2

I knew Matthew was history when Addie commented that his dish had way too many ingredients. Lord, honey, even I could tell that from sitting right there in my livin' room. I know we've discussed this before, but Bobby's parting comments to Matthew made me think that Bobby saw a younger version of himself in "Chef" Grunwald. If Bobby had to jump through the hoops that contestants have to today, I don't think he would have made it. He was very uptight and unwatchable in his early shows. FN even paired him with a comedian and that still didn't help overcome the shyness/smugness/ill at ease camera presence.

However, that said ... I will say it ... Rusty is the one who deserved to be sent home. His presentations were terrible and he screwed up his boudin (sp?) ball by filling it out with bread crumbs. Matthew's food seemed edible just had too many ingredients. I would argue that at this stage of the game that presentation skills trump poorly executed food.

I wondered about Jason's personal life myself. I've mentioned in earlier posts that G & B never pressed him in the slightest to tell stories about his personal life. I just assumed Jason is gay. It doesn't matter to me one whit. He just reminds me very much of a close friend of mine who is a gay male from the south and he talks a lot like Jason. I held my breath for Jason when P**** 2.0 first couldn't local a vanilla bean if her life depended on it and kept freaking out over the flaming bourbon.  As well as when the judges said they could taste the heavy alcohol flavor.  Which begs the question, practically every single thing Jason has prepared included a bourbon/nut/bacon/maple flavor profile. The judges have never said a word to him about that. Didn't Cao get dinged because she kept using the same basic Vietnamese flavor base for many of her dishes? That' why B & G are such poor excuses for judges. They are so inconsistent and subjective in their assessments.

I didn't think Cory was much better even after going through "Star Salvation."  He was still uptight and boring. I don't think he's going to win and if he (by some fluke) wins, I believe it will be a huge disservice to a person of his skill level. His roasted fish looked scrumptious and I just can't picture him showing up on FN for stuff like bantering with Katie Lee on "The Kitchen," or guest judging on "Battle of the Grandmas: Thanksgiving Edition." (Don't laugh. Eddie Jackson got saddled into doing exactly that the year that he won. I think he was back for the second season.)

Despite all, I'm pulling for Jason. That would be quite a feat to win both "Holiday Baking Championship" AND FNS. Those are significant contributions for a home cook. GO JASON!

• Love 8

In defense of Suzanne - he didn't send her in search of a vanilla bean, but in search of vanilla bean paste.  Now, she still should have been able to find it, given that he told her where to look,  but having only used vanilla extract and actual vanilla beans, I know I would have been surprised to discover that it came in a narrow-necked bottle, as it did.  I would have been looking for maybe a tube (tomato paste, marzipan, anchovy paste), block (tamarind paste, shrimp paste), or at least some sort of more opened-neck jar like a condiment, something you could dip a spoon into. I looked up vanilla paste online afterwards, and that is how it comes - although more often in a wider-necked bottle than what we saw - but I can imagine just looking right past containers that didn't seem like a reasonable thing to put a paste into.

Edited by akr
punctuation
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, grisgris said:

That' why B & G are such poor excuses for judges. They are so inconsistent and subjective in their assessments

The winner is pre-ordained from the first day, from what I've seen. Whoever it is, they can do no wrong. My actress friend who's been a diner several times told me they were urged as to what to say on their critiques of the food. She was in that freaky dining room with the forest, desert, etc.

• Love 1

Okay well I am not going to pretend like I didn't rewind it just so I could rewatch Matthew's face as he was booted again, but I think those were real tears and they should stop playing with the dude. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

Okay well I am not going to pretend like I didn't rewind it just so I could rewatch Matthew's face as he was booted again, but I think those were real tears and they should stop playing with the dude. 

That's funny, I watched it again a day later just to see if I would change my mind and I still think his reaction was fake.

Even if it wasn't, I wouldn't feel sorry for him.  He already works for Scripps and is on a show aired in Canada, so he is already a Food Network Star, just not in the US.  Either way he's winning.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

The kid isn't going to stop until he has a show, somewhere. Hopefully in the middle of the night.

Or in Canada, like the show he's already on.  Or he'll turn up in a year or two somewhere like Kelsey Nixon did. 

Kid = Matthew.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, grisgris said:

I wondered about Jason's personal life myself. I've mentioned in earlier posts that G & B never pressed him in the slightest to tell stories about his personal life. I just assumed Jason is gay. It doesn't matter to me one whit. He just reminds me very much of a close friend of mine who is a gay male from the south and he talks a lot like Jason. I held my breath for Jason when P**** 2.0 first couldn't local a vanilla bean if her life depended on it and kept freaking out over the flaming bourbon.  As well as when the judges said they could taste the heavy alcohol flavor.  Which begs the question, practically every single thing Jason has prepared included a bourbon/nut/bacon/maple flavor profile. The judges have never said a word to him about that. Didn't Cao get dinged because she kept using the same basic Vietnamese flavor base for many of her dishes? That' why B & G are such poor excuses for judges. They are so inconsistent and subjective in their assessments.

I noticed that myself about Jason, that the judges never make him tell stories about his family, etc.  He has parents, perhaps brothers and sisters he can talk about if he doesn't want to talk about his partner for some reason.  Why wouldn't they expect him to tell stories like the rest of them?  It's seriously irking me that there are double standards on this show.  I also noticed that everything he cooks has maple/bourbon/bacon/nut in it.  EVERYTHING.  And the judges say nothing to that either!  That plus his over-the-top southern accent and mannerisms seem put on to me.  Like Paula Deen after she turned into a "cartoon southern chef" like it was said upthread.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

My actress friend who's been a diner several times told me they were urged as to what to say on their critiques of the food. She was in that freaky dining room with the forest, desert, etc.

I want to be a VIP.  :-(

18 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

I also noticed that everything he cooks has maple/bourbon/bacon/nut in it.  EVERYTHING.  And the judges say nothing to that either! 

I don't mind nuts because I eat them as snacks and in certain dishes. However, I don't care much for the other items. 

The judges don't criticize him for those ingredients because that's what they expect him, as someone from Kentucky, to use.  If he were to cook French or Mexican or Asian, no matter how good he was at it they would ding him for not being 'authentic'.  This show has always put people in a box based on their looks/accent.  Whether he's doing it intentionally or not, he's playing the game right.  I think he's amped u his personality some on this show--especially in the beginning--but I think what we saw on the baking show was him for the most part.  

There was some weird vibe Guy was giving off with Jason.  He seemed colder to him than he was to the other two.  I assume because Jason isn't someone he can see as having the dude-bro frat mentality Guy does.   

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, Maverick said:

There was some weird vibe Guy was giving off with Jason.  He seemed colder to him than he was to the other two.  I assume because Jason isn't someone he can see as having the dude-bro frat mentality Guy does.   

Maybe he was "weirded out" - Guy reportedly said that about gay people about 6 years ago.  Although his own late sister was gay and he reportedly officiated in a massive gay wedding a couple of years ago as described in this article, which explains everything:

http://www.afterellen.com/tv/417129-guy-fieri-speaks-late-gay-sister-marrying-sex-couples-florida

• Love 2

Sorry,  but if Canadian TV meant great success we wouldn't have known of Michael J.  Fox,  Jim Carrey,  Mike Myers,  etc.!

IMO,  Matthew wasn't faking his choked-back tears.  He must have been shocked at being ousted over the rough-hewn Rusty.

Did Rusty ever offer anything to the viewer, other than that he was "stuck with" some ingredient? 

I think our glimpse of Jason's orchard was a clue not only of his eventual victory, but also a hint of what his show will include:  "Farm- and orchard-fresh." Maybe visits to local Farmers Markets (given that the network currently promotes only grocery stores), artisan cheese-mongers, etc.

Mention the websites where we might order the offerings and Lord,  honey, I'd watch that!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Maybe visits to local Farmers Markets (given that the network currently promotes only grocery stores), artisan cheese-mongers, etc

Damaris did that on her show. In Kentucky.

8 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Why wouldn't they expect him to tell stories like the rest of them

He's this season's golden boy, he can get away with food murder -- and he has, with some of his dishes.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I really felt for Matthew.  It does seem like TFN used him for heightened drama and that is terrible, especially for someone so clearly invested in this.

Matthew is a veteran of reality TV. He knows how the sausage is made. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Maverick said:

I'm pretty far from a dudebro myself, but if the first thing someone ever says to me is "butter my butt and call me a biscuit", I might be a little awkward around him too.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Matthew is a veteran of reality TV. He knows how the sausage is made. 

Yes, I agree,  which means he couldn't possibly have been completely blindsided by his elimination.  It's interesting how he suddenly made people feel sympathy for him.  The guy has been nothing but an ass and fake from the first day he stepped in front of the camera 2 seasons ago, and suddenly now his tears are "real"?  Puhleeeze! <eye roll>  If anything, he's a master of manipulation, that's for sure.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Amarsir said:

I'm pretty far from a dudebro myself, but if the first thing someone ever says to me is "butter my butt and call me a biscuit", I might be a little awkward around him too.

I'm a woman. Jason's over-the-top cliches and comments make me cringe. I'd be put off if he said the same around me. 

Those comments might work well when he's at home, but not so much when he's on camera and his audience is broader based. 

• Love 3

I'm wondering if the bar wasn't set higher for Matthew because he'd been through NFS once before and I don't believe FN was toying with him except the PTB know Matthew -- like Penny -- would bring out extreme viewer responses.  And I was sad for him when he said getting a FN show was his life.  Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I think he said something like, "I have no life,  This is it."  Rusty should have gone home, but Matthew sometimes shot himself in the foot by parading all his skills, knowledge, and tv experience,, then not quite delivering.

• Love 2

There have been multiple weeks when Matt deserved to be sent packing. There is a lot to say for the argument that Matt should never have been a contestant on this show this season, or even his first go round. But this week, he clearly did better than The Screamin' Cajun, in every aspect.

Rusty was awful, and the fact that he repeatedly screwed up the name of the place he was supposedly there to talk about, was reason enough to chop him. When you couple that with his stammering and poor presentation , along wit his over the top loud style, he was the clear loser.

I am glad Matt is gone, but this decision this episode was completely wrong, and screams of producer fix.

I am also sick of Honeychile Hayseed Goober and his over the top character. 

The next few seasons of GGG are going to be rough with this crew of future guest judges.

• Love 3

I firmly believe they pick the winner from the get-go, and keep some annoying people around for their snark. I totally agree that Rusty should have been axed, but since they had to let Amy go, there was no one left for the finale, I guess. Matthew must know how this all works by now. Still doesn't make it right, by any means.

• Love 1

I don't trust Matthew any further than I could throw him.  I can't believe a word he says.  That's why I questioned his departing words and tears.  Sure, he wanted to win, just like they all did, but he's quite an actor.  I felt that most of the time he was on this show, he was acting the role of arrogant contestant, etc.  As the final decision approached, I felt that Matthew was gearing up for his big scene,  that he'd either scream and yell or dissolve into tears.  Either way, he'd make the most of his moment.  Sure enough.  I have no doubts that he was disappointed -- they all would have been -- but I expected and got a memorable scene from Matthew.  If he had just once settled down and been himself, I'd have had much more respect for him.  As it was, however, HE taught me to dread his appearances.

Rusty belongs to my "nice guy" club.  He wanted that spot badly.  He was so nervous he forgot his words.  But Rusty was Rusty, and I loved him for it.  I think he must have a heart of gold, and I think that most people would enjoy being around him.  He doesn't yell in conversation.

Cory strikes me as being sincere.  He admits his faults and tries to overcome them, including his lack of self-confidence.  He seems like another member of the good guys club.  So does Jason.  I'd like for Cory to win, but I could live with Jason.  Jason plays the down-home act, but he's a determined man.  Anyone who can keep his cool with a sous chef like Suzanne has to be stronger than I would have been!  I'd have blown sky high, I'm afraid.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 6
17 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

I remembered what I said a few weeks ago.... Cory will come back in and slay Matthew. I can write their scripts for them.

And Cory is still forgettable and wooden.

There isn't a great contestant left. 

Come to think of it, there were no great ones this season. I continue to watch this show because of the comments here. 

• Love 4

I have several problems with Rusty. First and foremost, he YELLS at us! Second, he looks like an unmade bed all the time! Thirdly he almost always looks like he needs a shower. Lastly, I worry that he is going to drop dead from high blood pressure. He is always red in the face(and not from the heat in the kitchen.)

Cory is boring!

That leaves Jason. 'Nuff said.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, MajorWoody said:

There have been multiple weeks when Matt deserved to be sent packing. There is a lot to say for the argument that Matt should never have been a contestant on this show this season, or even his first go round. But this week, he clearly did better than The Screamin' Cajun, in every aspect.

Rusty was awful, and the fact that he repeatedly screwed up the name of the place he was supposedly there to talk about, was reason enough to chop him. When you couple that with his stammering and poor presentation , along wit his over the top loud style, he was the clear loser.

I am glad Matt is gone, but this decision this episode was completely wrong, and screams of producer fix.

I am also sick of Honeychile Hayseed Goober and his over the top character. 

The next few seasons of GGG are going to be rough with this crew of future guest judges.

I would rather watch the same re-run of Good Eats for the 95th time than watch either "Honey Chile Hayseed Goober" (LOL!) or "Hey Guys, Biongorno" Rusty.  As for GGG, I refuse to watch the "game show" idiocy on this network, other than Chopped..  So I won't have to worry about seeing any of the FNS rejects.  Once was enough.  And I swear, every year I am disgusted, and tell myself I'll never watch it again, but this summer was awful!  Game of Thrones was horribly delayed, and McSteamy wigged out and The Last Ship was also delayed.  So FNS was the only new programming around.  I have high hopes for Summer 2018, however, and may be able to abstain from this abortion of a "cooking" contest.

3 hours ago, Surrealist said:

And Cory is still forgettable and wooden.

There isn't a great contestant left. 

Come to think of it, there were no great ones this season. I continue to watch this show because of the comments here. 

But Cory can cook.  And he has "authority" about food, too.  I think once he gets comfortable, even if it's only as a judge, I think he'd do quite well.  Plus, he's got a rather pleasing visage.  

LOL, I have an internet cooking buddy (she turned me on to this site) who stuck to her guns this year and hasn't watched an episode.  But she e-mailed me a few weeks ago for the link...I'd imagine she's lurking around here somewhere, enjoying the fact that she outsmarted us, while still enjoying the snark. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Blonde Gator said:

But Cory can cook.  And he has "authority" about food, too.  I think once he gets comfortable, even if it's only as a judge, I think he'd do quite well.  Plus, he's got a rather pleasing visage.  

Yes, Cory can cook. He's a bit of a snob, but that also applies to most of the FN celebrity chefs, so I guess he's in excellent company. 

• Love 1

I don't know why they kept Mr. New Orleans #2 over Matthew the ego.

Who is Mr. New Orleans #1?

I would especially watch them in a modern version of Green Acres where they get married, move to Kentucky and open a bakery while living on Jason's farm.

Kim Davis says "Over my dead body!"

The three remaining finalists are in for a shock when they learn that a previously eliminated finalist is reentering the competition after winning Star Salvation on FoodNetwork.com.

So ridiculous. We're supposed to assume that they've never watched the show before? Matthew was ON the show before. Why do they insist on treating us like idiots?

• Love 4
8 hours ago, J-Man said:

So ridiculous. We're supposed to assume that they've never watched the show before? Matthew was ON the show before. Why do they insist on treating us like idiots?

It's more of the producer manipulation, and the acting job these folks have to do.

I don't see Cory as wooden or a snob, maybe because I've known him for a few years now. He's getting ready to open another new restaurant soon. 

• Love 1

I think Jason would be a good host for an after school kid's cooking show. He'd be like Mr. Rogers. Call it "Jason's Farm" - he can demo how to make simple things for kids, walk around the farm, have friends show up. Can't you imagine kids going to school and saying "Lord, honey!" and yelling at each other, "Butter my butt and call me a biscuit!"  To liven things up he could show how to cook something kids consider gross, like liver or tongue. It would be easy enough to find sponsors, I'd think - think of the toy, fast food and cereal commercials they could have!

• Love 6
9 hours ago, J-Man said:

Who is Mr. New Orleans #1?

I assume they meant Jay from 2015. Who if I recall correctly, could present OK but couldn't cook worth a darn.

Spoiler

MOTH_Jay-Ducote.jpg.rend.snigalleryslide

I'd have forgotten him too, but he happened to show up on Cutthroat Kitchen 2-3 weeks ago. His cooking skills were about as I remember.

On 8/7/2017 at 0:59 PM, spiderpig said:

This.  I wonder how many takes are required to make it look like Giada is actually putting food in her mouth.

Not that we get to see her chew and swallow.

They got shot of her fork close to her mouth when tasting Jason's tart.   The fork was empty but she was holding it, a step in the right direction.   She is so obviously anorexic, it cannot be hidden. 

I don't like Guy but I found my self warming to him here.   He did a good job coaching.  Jason said it well when he mentioned that Guy erased everything in his brain.  That was Guy's goal.   He was able to pull out a more natural delivery from all of them. 

Rusty made it to the pilot episode by default.  He is not comfortable to watch and part of that is his weight and unhealthy pallor.  And he yells.  He is a heart attack in waiting.  

Jason is the obvious winner and I am good with that.  I like him.  He is comfortable to watch and I don't mind his little sayings for the most part.  I wish he would just shave his head though. 

Suzanne, oh good god.  

I was not surprised to see Matt go.  Bobby and Giada never liked him. 

• Love 2

Cory brings proven cooking skills and can be taught to be more comfortable.  Whenever I hear Giada criticize someone for a lack of camera readiness, I flash back to seeing her very first outing -- she was so bad she makes everybody else look professional from the get-go.  I think this was covered in her Chefography special where she admitted to her awfulness and said she had to be coached on how to be comfortable and natural in front of the camera.  

• Love 3

I don't find Cory snobby so much as I find him way too good for this show. lol He should be on a show about cooking, not this barnyard explosion.

This is the place for your Rusty's your Jason's your Matthews, those willing to sell their integrity and soul to be on the teevee! Those who are willing to play whatever moron, hayseed or loud obnoxious guy the show wants them to be. I just think once Cory got there he realized he didn't want to be a cartoon character so they didn't know what to do with him. Of the final three, he is the one who should have a show about actual cooking. The other two would have entertainment shows that have some food in them.

Go Cory! And I don't mean go and win, I mean go, run, while you still can. SAVE YOURSELF!!!!! GOOOOO!!!!!!

• Love 11