Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E10: Who Wants a Pilot?

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Amarsir said:

I assume they meant Jay from 2015. Who if I recall correctly, could present OK but couldn't cook worth a darn.

Hide contents

MOTH_Jay-Ducote.jpg.rend.snigalleryslide

I'd have forgotten him too, but he happened to show up on Cutthroat Kitchen 2-3 weeks ago. His cooking skills were about as I remember.

Jay lives in Baton Rouge and is doing quite well for himself.  

Rusty is also from Baton Rouge.  Not everyone from Louisiana is from New Orleans........

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Surrealist said:

Yes, Cory can cook. He's a bit of a snob, but that also applies to most of the FN celebrity chefs, so I guess he's in excellent company. 

He does give off a snobbish vibe to me as well, almost like he thinks he is too good to be on the show.  But he chose to do this show, knowing full well what is involved with it.   I mean, it was a bit of a farce when they all acted shocked that Guy was directing the pilots.  As a longtime viewer, I thought, here comes Guy!

And as always, Guy did a great job working with everyone.  He had the best  director chemistry with Rusty though, likely due to the fact that they were already acquainted.

• Love 2

So I finally saw the entire episode tonight. When it originally aired, I only watched the first half, before the pilots were "shot." I have decided it is my life's goal to greet everybody that I meet now with the phrase, "well, butter my buns and call me a biscuit!" even though I actually live in NE Ohio. Because, why not?

• Love 2
On 8/9/2017 at 6:00 PM, Lura said:

I don't trust Matthew any further than I could throw him.  I can't believe a word he says.  That's why I questioned his departing words and tears.  Sure, he wanted to win, just like they all did, but he's quite an actor.  I felt that most of the time he was on this show, he was acting the role of arrogant contestant, etc.  As the final decision approached, I felt that Matthew was gearing up for his big scene,  that he'd either scream and yell or dissolve into tears.  Either way, he'd make the most of his moment.  Sure enough.  I have no doubts that he was disappointed -- they all would have been -- but I expected and got a memorable scene from Matthew.  If he had just once settled down and been himself, I'd have had much more respect for him.  As it was, however, HE taught me to dread his appearances.

Thank you, ITA.  How can anyone trust anything that comes out of his mouth?  Besides, there's absolutely NO reason to feel sorry for the guy.  He's riding high and doing quite well in his career for a TWENTY FOUR YEAR OLD.  Jesus, it's not like his life is over because he didn't win this freaking show!  He's already on a show with Scripps in Canada plus he just got a job in June as a Corporate Professional Chef with Nestlé company.  One day he'll get a freaking show somewhere, I'm sure!

7 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I don't find Cory snobby so much as I find him way too good for this show. lol He should be on a show about cooking, not this barnyard explosion.

Exactly!  Besides, you're not a snob if you really are too good for this show.  Just sayin'.

• Love 2

I find it interesting that a number of people find Cory to seem "snobbish."  Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, and it doesn't offend me, but I just don't see it at all.  What I see is a guy who won a state seafood contest, got nominated for an award from the James Beard Foundation, and is scared to death of falling on his face on FNS!  He says that he started out full of confidence, but then he lost it, and he's been trying to get it back ever since.  To have said all this for the world to hear hardly sounds snobbish to me.  He seems well aware of his own drawbacks.  In addition, I don't think there's any other contestant who has said so many nice remarks about and TO his fellow contestants.  He's always cheering them on.  That's hardly the attitude of a snob.  The biggest thing about Cory that he hasn't dwelled on is the fact that he's shy.  So am I, so I can understand how sometimes that comes off as snobbish.  As any shy person knows, you're always trying to cover it up.  He's had to work hard all his life, so maybe that gives him a seriousness that most kids don't have.  I don't know.  I just feel that "snobbish" is a word that doesn't fit with Cory, IMHO.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, smiley13 said:

He does give off a snobbish vibe to me as well, almost like he thinks he is too good to be on the show.  But he chose to do this show, knowing full well what is involved with it.   I mean, it was a bit of a farce when they all acted shocked that Guy was directing the pilots.  As a longtime viewer, I thought, here comes Guy!

And as always, Guy did a great job working with everyone.  He had the best  director chemistry with Rusty though, likely due to the fact that they were already acquainted.

Cory did not radiate snob to me but I get what you are saying.  He is a fine dining guy and quite accomplished (I googled him).  The stuffed Branzino was clearly in his comfort zone but not what people would look at snap chat to see.   I bet he applied for Top Chef but was not chosen.  And that doesn't mean he won't be in the future.  

Many chefs want the recognition TV gives them. He probably didn't care what show cast him.  Top Chef winners and even those who didn't but stayed long enough to be known,  have experienced success that is directly related to exposure.  

I am a Guy fan now and have never liked him before.  He is good.  He did a fabulous job with Jason, too.  He got him off his shtick and I am from Kentucky rap.  I blame that on Bobby harping at them to give some back story.  Sure once but not every damn time?  

Bobby and Giada did a poor job as far as telling them what was expected.  Either replace them or insist they take this show seriously.  Not for the result but for the show itself since we know that is the deal here.  

• Love 2
On 8/8/2017 at 3:01 PM, GaT said:

They definitely mentioned how much booze was in it, but I think they only did that for the drama. They didn't count it against him because he didn't actually make it, Suzanne did & she ignored what he asked her to do. I don't think that they wanted to risk the uproar they had when "she who must not be named" was assigned to Amy Finley & screwed her over & got her eliminated. 

I also think they didn't count it against him because sometimes a very boozy dessert is only a problem for the first bite when there's an unexpected punch.  One gets accustomed to it a bit more in the second bite where it's more of a richness and by the third, it's going down smooth.  I don't drink but I find I really like that kick of alcohol in desserts.  The boozier the better.  There's a reason Bobby couldn't stop eating it.  Feature or flaw?  Probably a very thin line when it comes to alcohol.

At this point, I'm okay with either Cory or Jason winning, although I prefer Jason.  And I see more room for Jason on the current incarnation of TFN since they have so many baking shows.  Maybe they'll stop trying to make Damiano happen and replace him with Jason as a judge.  I think Jason would do well there as the comic relief.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I wonder if Cory's tried out for Top Chef? I don't see why he couldn't pass muster for that cast. 

I don't think he has. He will be the first to admit that the only thing he loves as much as cooking is fishing. I would dearly love for him to get a show where he cooks what he catches. I don't cook nearly enough seafood because I don't know a lot about it. Shrimp and scallops are about as far as I get.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I wonder if Cory's tried out for Top Chef? I don't see why he couldn't pass muster for that cast. 

I know, especially because he was Food and Wine Magazine's "Best New Chef" in 2015.  I actually REMEMBER him from that because I subscribe and I never forget a handsome face like that, LOL.  Which makes me wonder if FN didn't approach him to join the cast for this, because I just can't see him volunteering out of thin air.

http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/meet-peoples-best-new-chef

7 hours ago, Lura said:

I find it interesting that a number of people find Cory to seem "snobbish."  Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, and it doesn't offend me, but I just don't see it at all. 

ITA, and why is it that these days anyone that isn't making embarrassing OTT comments about their buns being buttered called a snob?  I also agree with you that Cory comes off that way because he's shy, but I also think anyone that has any amount of real class these days is often resented for it.  It's no wonder FN is populated by loud mouthed buffoons anymore.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 9
13 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I don't think he has. He will be the first to admit that the only thing he loves as much as cooking is fishing. I would dearly love for him to get a show where he cooks what he catches. I don't cook nearly enough seafood because I don't know a lot about it. Shrimp and scallops are about as far as I get.

O/T....but if you're interested in cooking/chefs/fishing....Tom Colicchio has some  great videos up on YouTube, where he takes fellow chefs out fishing, and they discuss food, fishing, life in general.  Quite amusing.  (Also Eric Ripert did the same sort of thing on YouTube, in his kitchen.  The one with Gail Simmons is spectacular). 

As for seafood, if you have a very reliable source, go for it.  Watch a couple of videos of chefs  you like/trust, and try some simple stuff at first.  I am a native Floridian, so I am a seafood snob, but I'd suggest starting with a nice pelagic (ocean swimming) fish like wahoo or dolphin (mahi mahi, as the tourists know it).  Nice, white firm fish, mild flavored.  Simple, I usually serve with a nice lemon, butter, lime sauce.  I have also found pretty great tuna at Costco, believe it or not, and that is pretty cinchy on the grill.  Just use a super clean grill, brush some olive oil on the tuna steaks, and don't overcook it.  Medium rare at most, cook just like a nice steak, only about 2 - 3 minutes per side, depending on thickness.

Better yet, keep your fingers crossed.....we'll see Cory get his show after he wins on Sunday.  That dish he prepared looked rocking delicious.  I wish they'd put the FNS winner's recipes up on the site.  Jason's boozy nut tarts looked like something I'd like to try as well.  Cheers! 

Edited to add:  Emeril's Florida on Cooking Channel is pretty great, and he gives little S&S demos at the end of each episode, usually seafood.  The first two seasons were better than the third, but definitely worth the watch.

Edited by Blonde Gator
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Many chefs apply and they seek a varied cast.  The "handsome fine dining guy" slot probably had many to choose from.  Doesn't mean he won't get on in the future, if indeed he did apply.  

On 8/6/2017 at 11:01 PM, Gbb said:

As for the pilots, I thought they all did pretty well, and I thought Guy's "Cut!"s were mostly bogus (except for Rusty's intros and the first time he told Cory he was too polished). I'll be perfectly happy if either Jason or Cory win, unlike last year when I was pretty much guaranteed to be unhappy about the winner. I hope and suspect we'll be seeing both Jason and Cory around FN in th coming years, but I could be wrong. Maybe they see something in Rusty that I don't. I was pretty shocked about him getting the 3rd pilot slot, but I've already expounded my theory on that one. 

Oh!! And, EDDIE!!!!!!❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Rusty can bring musicians on his show. I think he's more of a shooin than most up here give him credit. Remember current leadership is bringing in celebrities to host shows. 

2 hours ago, Skyfall said:

Rusty can bring musicians on his show. I think he's more of a shooin than most up here give him credit. Remember current leadership is bringing in celebrities to host shows. 

Everyone said the same thing about Eddie:  "He can bring NFL players on his show!"  Guilty,  I said it, but it hasn't happened.  It doesn't matter because I still love Eddie.

• Love 1

My take on this season ... it played out exactly how I wanted it to play out. I wanted Matthew to stay around until there was no chance of him getting back into the race. There is no "show" for the winner. And at this point, I don't really have a preference for the winner. Rusty? No. Cory and Jason? Equal odds, IMHO. Neither one will get a show (thanks, Lenny), but they will appear somewhere.

2 hours ago, susannot said:

Everyone said the same thing about Eddie:  "He can bring NFL players on his show!"  Guilty,  I said it, but it hasn't happened.  It doesn't matter because I still love Eddie.

If Eddie had a S&S show it would've happened but he's only had comp shows and been judging.

5 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Who was the runner-up to "On Fleek?" Can't remember. And too lazy to look it up. 

Jerard and Daminao. I still think Monterey Salka was the best of that bunch.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Skyfall said:

If Eddie had a S&S show it would've happened but he's only had comp shows and been judging.

Jerard and Daminao. I still think Monterey Salka was the best of that bunch.

Ah yes. How could I forget Domiano?

9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Wasn't Rachael Ray still directing pilots in Eddie's season? 

I think so, but she wasn't on the show last season or this one.  I notice that she has gotten away from some of the FN shows she used to appear on, like this and the "Rachael vs. Guy Kids Cookoff".  I read a rumor on this board once that she got into a conflict with Guy behind the scenes of that show where she accused him of cheating, and refused to work with him again.  Then she suddenly started appearing on "Worst Cooks in America" with Anne Burell where she has been ever since.

I think that if has been renewed, she has taped what morphed from the kids' team cookoff to the one on one format show this summer. I watched a little bit of it last year. It brought back that boy with the funny accent that his parent didn't have. Maybe his other parent was from New Zealand? If he has a speech impediment, I apologize; I never heard of it, and I don't read up on the kids. I don't mean to demean him at all....I rooted for him! 

7 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I think so, but she wasn't on the show last season or this one.  I notice that she has gotten away from some of the FN shows she used to appear on, like this and the "Rachael vs. Guy Kids Cookoff".  I read a rumor on this board once that she got into a conflict with Guy behind the scenes of that show where she accused him of cheating, and refused to work with him again.  Then she suddenly started appearing on "Worst Cooks in America" with Anne Burell where she has been ever since.

Hasn't Food/Cooking stopped showing her reruns too?

17 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Wasn't Rachael Ray still directing pilots in Eddie's season? 

You know, that's a good question. I haven't seen Rachael Ray in a long time, and I missed her even when Anne Burrell walked into the competition 3 weeks ago. 

• Love 1

Re: Matthew. His having a great job or two at 24 and his becoming a famous TV celebrity chef are distinctly different things. 

But speaking of his being on Canadian television: I've been wondering whom Matthew reminded me of, and by buttered buns, Lord honey I've got it!

Scott Thompson from "Kids in the Hall"! 

I'd watch "Matty's Kitchen." Pull up a chair and have a bite!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Re: Matthew. His having a great job or two at 24 and his becoming a famous TV celebrity chef are distinctly different things. 

But speaking of his being on Canadian television: I've been wondering whom Matthew reminded me of, and by buttered buns, Lord honey I've got it!

Scott Thompson from "Kids in the Hall"! 

I'd watch "Matty's Kitchen." Pull up a chair and have a bite!

LOL, now I'd never associate Matthew with Scott Thompson......Only if I squint really hard, pinch my fingers and say "I'm crushing your head", LOL.

Matthew is so young - Rachael Ray didn't even make it to FN until she was 34 already.  He's got plenty of time to grow up and find himself somewhere, even if not on FN.