Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Ambrosia

• Start Topic

With the clock ticking, Desna is scrambling to get out of her worst trouble yet. Determined, she goes searching for the truth with her crew right behind her, save for Jennifer, who is learning how to cope as a Dixie Mafia wife.

Wow, Roller is a hot mess. Gladys raping him really messed him up mentally. Jack Kesy did a great job showing Roller's mental breakdown due to his captivity and the far off glance that showed at times he wasn't fully there. I am wondering if Roller got involved with the Russians to help Desna as he seems very angry that she didn't have his back. Also, his description of being set on fire while in the body bag was rough. I think he does love her, especially in watching their flashback scenes. I am not 100% sold on Desna loving him but I do think she has much deeper feelings for him than she is comfortable with having (esp as it fights with her resentment in being in the laundering business and Uncle Daddy's finger). Her telling him to look out at the end when she could've just let him be killed was interesting. 

I really liked all of the flashback scenes. It was nice to see when things were much more carefree before they went to shit.

The scenes with Quiet Ann and Polly were well done. Between Quiet Ann's desperation about Arlene to Polly's desperation not to go back to jail, that was really riveting work by both actresses. 

Desna's call to Dean in the car was good, I just hate that it was about Virginia and how "awesome" she is. Show, don't tell, Claws

Jen, Jen, Jen... nothing good will come out of the situation with Hank. 

That was quite the cliffhanger and I look forward to the season finale. 

• Love 11

It's interesting to see that Roller did ask Uncle Daddy for Desna's bonus. Had Roller bothered to communicate that to Desna, none of this mess would have happened.

I liked Polly and Quiet Ann calling each other on their shit. Ann might love the detective, but the detective's investigation of the C****' death and Roller's disappearance was going to lead to the pill mill.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

It's interesting to see that Roller did ask Uncle Daddy for Desna's bonus. Had Roller bothered to communicate that to Desna, none of this mess would have happened.

He did. He told her he'd take care of it. A few times, IIRC. She just let her resentment of her situation be her guiding hand [in the pilot.] 

• Love 1

I feel like they did some retconning with Roller because the flashbacks, IMO don't add up to the   Roller in episode one  wanted Desna to "finish him off" after she just caught him sexually assualting Virginia and casually dismissed Desna when it came to her promised bonus. Now, we're seeing a Roller who fought to get Desna her money; showed genuine romantic interest; aggressively courted her and is hurt that another man took his place so quickly.

• Love 13

Isn't that the old Six Flags amusement park that was destroyed by Katrina? Damn, I thought that site would have been developed by now.

I feel like they did some retconning with Roller because the flashbacks, IMO don't add up to the   Roller in episode one  wanted Desna to "finish him off" after she just caught him sexually assualting Virginia and casually dismissed Desna when it came to her promised bonus. Now, we're seeing a Roller who fought to get Desna her money; showed genuine romantic interest; aggressively courted her and is hurt that another man took his place so quickly.

This is why I wasn't feeling this episode too much. Its clear they are trying to retcon Roller's character to make him more palatable to the audience. I guess Jack Kesy/Roller will be around for season 2.  Don't get me wrong.I think Jack and Niecy have good chemistry---and definitely sparkle better together then her and and the doctor.  But I just can't stand retcons.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 3

I guess I don't see it as a retcon cause I never bought their relationship was one-note with Roller as villain and Desna his put upon girlfriend. I always thought there were layers, especially cause Dean would mention things about his friendship with Roller plus how everyone treated Desna as Roller's widow with his funeral because he'd run around telling everyone how great he thought 'his lady' was. And even though we saw Roller & Desna's relationship origins, we also didn't see that happened in the last few months or that lead up to what we saw in the pilot (his cheating, her full on resentment of things). The only hint we saw was Desna telling Polly in jail that she was over the money laundering. I never thought Roller was unpalatable - he's actually more layered and fleshed out than Virginia, who the show keeps telling us is SO AWESOME - and I had been looking forward to this ep in a while cause their relationship is the other main dynamic to this show aside from the relationship of the 4 talented nail artisans. Maybe when we know why Roller was working with the Russians we'll get the final piece of the puzzle. If Roller did go in with the Russians and it has something to do with getting Desna her money, then that would explain why he was so angry she didn't have his back. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

I never thought Roller was unpalatable - he's actually more layered and fleshed out than Virginia, who the show keeps telling us is SO AWESOME

Maybe when we know why Roller was working with the Russians we'll get the final piece of the puzzle. If Roller did go in with the Russians and it has something to do with getting Desna her money, then that would explain why he was so angry she didn't have his back. 

Ummmmmmmmmm.....it has???? I thought the show has been showing us that Virginia is a lying manipulative dumbass who happens to be nice to Dean. The other women are nice to Virginia because she and Desna are bound together in attempting to kill Roller and framing the C****. And during Roller's absence, Virginia has been slightly less objectively awful. She's still a dumbass and terrible. The women love Desna. They tolerate Virginia.

Even if Roller was working with the Russians to get Desna her money, Roller can't be mad at Desna because she didn't know any of this. Is Desna supposed to read his mind? Even in the pilot when Roller is telling Desna that he'll ask Uncle Daddy, he does it in the most insulting and dismissive way. Actually he never discusses the money (in the pilot) with a 10th of the sincerity that he's displayed since coming back. Why would Desna believe anything coming out of Roller's mouth during the pilot? He's irresponsible and neglecting the clinic. He lies to her, disrespects her, and cheats on her. There's no reason that Desna would know that Roller's half-assed dismissive statements to her were the truth. Desna learns at the funeral that Roller told many people that she was his main lady. He sure as shit never shared that with Desna. Roller wasn't sincere, vulnerable, and truly intimate in a way that matters with Desna before he got shot. He showed everyone else this, but not the woman who it mattered to. He's mad that she didn't have his back. That shit is on him. He kept telling her he had her back, but fucking her over at every turn.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 20

I don't like how the women kept reminding Quiet Ann how much Desna had done for her to get her to protect her from Arlene. What they should've reminded her is that Arlene likely didn't have the same feelings as her and that Arlene probably had been playing her to get dirt on Desna. There was never going to be a happily ever after for Ann and Arlene. 

Also, I totally called something would happen between Jen and Hank!

• Love 8

Roller is completely messed up.  I didn't really believe others when they said Roller and Desna's relationship was real, but I sure believe it now.
Those flashbacks were really interesting.  I laughed when Roller mimicked Dean when they first met with the eye window thing.  That rat was nasty, I didn't think Desna's house was that bad.

Dr. Ken and Polly should be entertaining, that is, if he doesn't get "retired" first.  Ann's relationship is strange, they're already taking about having kids together?  How much time has passed since they first met?

Jenn better be careful with her little flame, Bryce has no regrets with killing people that piss him off.

I laugh when they refer to Desna's new man as the doctor, they don't even bother to name him.  I wonder if Roller and Desna will get back together?

1 hour ago, jellybean1231 said:

I don't like how the women kept reminding Quiet Ann how much Desna had done for her to get her to protect her from Arlene. What they should've reminded her is that Arlene likely didn't have the same feelings as her and that Arlene probably had been playing her to get dirt on Desna. There was never going to be a happily ever after for Ann and Arlene. 

That bugged the crap out of me. When Quiet Ann found the files I was expecting  her to be hurt, not conflicted. The  hell is Ann somehow  thinking it's just a coincidence her gf is investigating  Desna? How was it not broached by anyone especially a scammer like Polly that Ann was being used? This show has been a lot of fun but that doesn't  mean  they get to be lazy about stuff. 

Rollers messed up but I couldn't help but really like the flashback where he pretended to get the rat for Dean. 

I was so very excited when Michael Emersons name popped  up  in the credits. Naturally  I  thought his character would  have something  to  do with Polly but I  was just hoping that  his character would be an out there one not some random "normal " one.  I wasn't  disappointed with that get up. Hilarious. Too bad he probably won't  be  coming back (hey Roller did...)

• Love 2

Now, we're seeing a Roller who fought to get Desna her money; showed genuine romantic interest; aggressively courted her and is hurt that another man took his place so quickly.

This is what happens when the writing staff takes a liking to an actor who was supposed to be written out. (See: Hathaway, Carol...) 

Rollers messed up but I couldn't help but really like the flashback where he pretended to get the rat for Dean. 

The one constant to Roller that HASN'T been changed is that he's always been nice to Dean. (And I buy that Roller would let Desna call him). And Perrineau KILLED that phone conversation with Desna when she called him to say goodbye.

As for Bryce, one of the things I like about the writing is that he hasn't changed his pitch going from life coach to drug-addled gangster. It's the SAME PITCH. However Bryce on drugs is not just a loose cannon, he's Kim Jong Un with a warhead. 

Also, one of the last shows I was as fond of as this one is "Person of Interest" and when Michael Emerson appeared, I thought: so the Machine sent Harold to the Deep South to head up a crime ring. Well, it looks like he's NEVER going to get together with Grace (Carrie Preston.)

I really thought this episode was well-structured and filled in a lot of the questions we've been asking all season. And...just from Dean Norris's reaction (the man does not have a subtle move), I think he had something to do with the killing of Bryce & Roller's father. Or, it could just be that Dean Norris has no subtlety.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Ummmmmmmmmm.....it has???? I thought the show has been showing us that Virginia is a lying manipulative dumbass who happens to be nice to Dean. The other women are nice to Virginia because she and Desna are bound together in attempting to kill Roller and framing the C****. And during Roller's absence, Virginia has been slightly less objectively awful. She's still a dumbass and terrible. The women love Desna. They tolerate Virginia.

I think it does. And the official twitter account for the show goes overboard with it as well.

9 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Even if Roller was working with the Russians to get Desna her money, Roller can't be mad at Desna because she didn't know any of this. Is Desna supposed to read his mind? Even in the pilot when Roller is telling Desna that he'll ask Uncle Daddy, he does it in the most insulting and dismissive way. Actually he never discusses the money (in the pilot) with a 10th of the sincerity that he's displayed since coming back. Why would Desna believe anything coming out of Roller's mouth during the pilot? He's irresponsible and neglecting the clinic. He lies to her, disrespects her, and cheats on her. There's no reason that Desna would know that Roller's half-assed dismissive statements to her were the truth. Desna learns at the funeral that Roller told many people that she was his main lady. He sure as shit never shared that with Desna. Roller wasn't sincere, vulnerable, and truly intimate in a way that matters with Desna before he got shot. He showed everyone else this, but not the woman who it mattered to. He's mad that she didn't have his back. That shit is on him. He kept telling her he had her back, but fucking her over at every turn.

Nah. We'll just keep disagreeing on this cause I don't see it as black and white nor do I see Roller is all bad and Desna all good in this situation. 

Communication is everything.

OK, Roller really loves Desna, as much as someone like him can love a woman. I loved the flashbacks, all of them. I died laughing when Jen said something about all penises being black in the dark when the lights go out, LOL. 

I feel like, she never felt claimed by him, it's just a good time, making some money, sex, some caring here and there, but never feeling claimed by him. She didn't see herself going anywhere good with him after a while and that was the main reason she had rejected him at first in the flashbacks. She sounded surprised that he was jealous over that Dr., her reaction was one of  not expecting that he would even care. That tells me that she had no idea that he really, really loved her. You don't really claim a woman, you don't fully communicate that, then she's not going to think that she has much value to you personally. That's the way I see, it, and it ties into the whole lack of communication issue.

Roller was having some serious PTSD, the actor did a good job.

Poor Quiet Ann, but I'd have to give up that love to protect Desna after all the shit she did for me when I had no one. I couldn't forget that.

Uncle Daddy's boss, Mr. Namaste, I died laughing at the way he was beating Bryce, then back to the calm namaste demeanor.

Dean's convo. with Desna, melted my heart. Then I died laughing again, when he said that he knows Desna  thinks Virginia is a stank ho, LOL.  HP really should get an Emmy nom. for playing this role, he's great.

Finally, I cracked up again when the cop told Roller to tell his Uncle hi, and that he and his family are into some crazy shit, WTF? It's not supposed to be funny, but damn I could not help but laugh. 

And I'm putting it out here right now, Uncle Daddy had something to do with killing Roller and Bryce's parents.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, jellybean1231 said:

Exactly.  The fact that Arlene may have been playing Quiet Ann should have been a major part of that conversation.  My husband and I were having that conversation hours earlier about how some people, who blindly support religious leaders and politicians, have difficulty processing that they may have been conned even in the face of overwhelming evidence.   Instead, they will double down, defend the pastor/politician who conned or misled them, and angrily lash out at those who warned them beforehand or have the audacity to state the obvious.  I think on some level, Quiet Ann knew she had been played but didn't want to give up that fantasy of happily ever after with Arlene.  You could see in her eyes and hear the desperation and anger in her voice.  Instead of being pissed with Arlene for skillfully playing with her, Quiet Ann is angry with Polly for stating the obvious about Desna, but she had to have been angry with her self also for being so vulnerable that she got set up.

It's so obvious that Roller is suffering PTSD after being kidnapped and raped by Swamp Woman.  I have to admit that I enjoyed the flashbacks, as well, because I was always curious about how they met and why Desna was considered his main squeeze when he "died."

• Love 3

I don't think I can look at a bag of chicken nuggets without laughing ever again. Lol

I think Roller is as good as dead because there is no way he can get away with killing the twins, plus I suspect Riva is just middle management, so if you kill her, her bosses will want retribution.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, kwnyc said:

This is what happens when the writing staff takes a liking to an actor who was supposed to be written out. (See: Hathaway, Carol...) 

The one constant to Roller that HASN'T been changed is that he's always been nice to Dean. (And I buy that Roller would let Desna call him). And Perrineau KILLED that phone conversation with Desna when she called him to say goodbye.

As for Bryce, one of the things I like about the writing is that he hasn't changed his pitch going from life coach to drug-addled gangster. It's the SAME PITCH. However Bryce on drugs is not just a loose cannon, he's Kim Jong Un with a warhead. 

Also, one of the last shows I was as fond of as this one is "Person of Interest" and when Michael Emerson appeared, I thought: so the Machine sent Harold to the Deep South to head up a crime ring. Well, it looks like he's NEVER going to get together with Grace (Carrie Preston.)

I really thought this episode was well-structured and filled in a lot of the questions we've been asking all season. And...just from Dean Norris's reaction (the man does not have a subtle move), I think he had something to do with the killing of Bryce & Roller's father. Or, it could just be that Dean Norris has no subtlety.

Yes! Jack Kesy was originally hired to appear in the pilot episode ONLY! That's why we saw him being killed off in the pilot episode. TPTB apparently saw potential in him as an actor and character, and the rest is history. I'm glad they saw his potential.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Isn't that the old Six Flags amusement park that was destroyed by Katrina? Damn, I thought that site would have been developed by now.

Yes it is.  A couple of developments have been proposed for the site, but none have ever worked out for whatever reasons. 

It's used a lot for filming locations, so the city at least gets a little benefit out of it.

Yeah. Spike/James Marsters from Buffy too (he was originally suppose to die in the two part "What's My Line" episodes.)

Thing is though, there are so many terrible people on this show I don't think they need to bend over backwards too much for keep Roller. I like Polly a lot, who has scammed seniors which makes her scum, I know that, but I like her ride or die with the girls.  Right now the PTSD angle is enough to write him out of his current behavior with Desna. The flashback with Dean was really the only one that didn't come off as the show "trying" to justify keeping Roller around.

• Love 2

Roller, Desna, Quiet Ann, Polly, Dean - I know this show is part camp, but theirs was some top notch acting. 

True camp isn't easy...it requires commitment to the most ridiculous situations, and the ability to react realistically to them. This group is GOOD. And add Dr. Ken to the mix.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, peridot said:

Dr. Ken and Polly should be entertaining, that is, if he doesn't get "retired" first.  Ann's relationship is strange, they're already taking about having kids together?  How much time has passed since they first met?

I saw that scene as Anne envisioning Arlene saying those words rather than that really being what Arlene was saying.  Anne was seeing the life she hoped she could have with Arlene. 

4 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

Communication is everything.

OK, Roller really loves Desna, as much as someone like him can love a woman. I loved the flashbacks, all of them. I died laughing when Jen said something about all penises being black in the dark when the lights go out, LOL. 

That is when I woke the neighbor by laughing.  I loved the way she said it.  Also, the various "Desna wouldn't say cock" conversations were brilliant. 

• Love 2

Ann's relationship is strange, they're already taking about having kids together?  How much time has passed since they first met?

What I find strange is that the girlfriend is acting like she doesn't know how close Ann is to Desna, that Desna isn't just some boss at the nail salon she works in.We haven't had any quiet, alone moments with her pondering how arresting Desna would affect her girlfriend.  She's getting ready to arrest Desna like she doesn't know of the close connection between Desna and her girlfriend.So, I'm thinking was she just using Ann? I mean what did she think would happen when she arrested Desna? Did she think it would be something that Ann could easily get past?  I mean, she must know something about Desna because Ann said that she knew about her past, all the shit she's done and she still accepts, loves and doesn't judge her. So how can Ann talk about the shit she's been through without bringing up Desna's role in picking her up off the ground and taking care of her? How could the girlfriend not know of this. There's just a strange disconnect, with her acting like Desna would be just another criminal that she could lock up and dust off her hands as if it would have no affect on her personal life with Quiet Ann.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

She's getting ready to arrest Desna like she doesn't know of the close connection between Desna and her girlfriend.So, I'm thinking was she just using Ann?

I'm thinking she's using Ann too. Not that a high IQ has anything to do with falling in love with the wrong person - but wasn't it revealed that Ann has a PhD? (or was married to one)

And how could dumb ass Virginia even know, much less repeat a word like "euphoria?" C'mon, show!

Edited by Jade Foxx
Spelling is important!
  • Love 1

Oh I forgot, I love Dr. Ken, his face in the flashback when Roller was putting that roll of money in Desna's boob area was hilarious. 

I'm rooting for him and Polly.

2 hours ago, Jade Foxx said:

I'm thinking she's using Ann too. Not that a high IQ has anything to do with falling in love with the wrong person - but wasn't it revealed that Ann has a PhD? (or was married to one)

And how could dumb ass Virginia even know, much less repeat a world like "euphoria?" C'mon, show!

I can't remember if she has a PhD, but I could have sworn she said she was married to her linguistics professor, which means she was in college. I'm getting the impression that she's suppose to be pretty smart; but like you said, IQ has nothing to do with falling for the wrong person, it happens to the best and the brightest. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Jade Foxx said:

And how could dumb ass Virginia even know, much less repeat a world like "euphoria?" C'mon, show!

That's a good point. Virginia is a dumbass. It's much more likely that she would have mispronounced ambrosia as something like "and a rose salad" or "Amber Rose salad" which would have led directly into Virginia prattling on and on about Amber Rose which would have led to Virginia talking about Kanye and Kim ad nauseum.

• Love 6

I loved this episode.

Virginia remains stupid and pointless and a "stank ho" I laughed so hard at that.

i agree with the poster who said that Uncle-Daddy was somehow involved in the the deaths of Bryce and Roller's parents -- Mr. Mouth almighty got a little too quiet when Bryce was talking about family loyalty and obligations.  It was interesting to see Uncle-Daddy getting punked by Michael Emerson's character.  I too was hoping he would be a recurring character given his marriage to the actress who plays Polly, but I guess not.

Jenn jumped to kissing that guy a little too quickly, makes me wonder if she wasn't secretly tiring of Bryce and this whole Uncle-Daddy thing is the excuse she needs to cut him loose.

Add me to the list of people who are dumbstruck over the fact that neither Polly nor Quiet Anne seemed to think that the cop was using Anne to get closer to Desna.

I am actually glad that the show is showing how traumatic Roller being held hostage and raped repeatedly has been on him.  To often shows and society as a whole treat male rape as a joke, cause what guy wouldn't love to be forced to provide sexual favors.  I knew he wasn't going to kill Desna and not just because Niecy Nash is the star of the show, but because I am among the viewers who actually believed that Roller loves Desna to the best of his ability to love based on what he thinks love is.  I do think he got involved with the Russians to make sure Desna got the money to get a better shop, home and life for she and Dean after he realized Uncle-Daddy was never going to come through for Desna and the treatment he got from his uncle let him know he couldn't broach the subject again.  Some of his increasing jerky treatment of her is probably rooted in this (the ultimate case of the damage a lack of communication causes).  I'm not saying that they should be an endgame couple, but it was always clear to me that something more than just sex and business was there.  I think Desna keeping Roller from being killed shows that she too cares for him.  Her awareness of that caring might not have been as close to the surface as Roller's feelings are, but they are there.  As another poster noted, if Roller and Desna actually talked to each other honestly, this entire debacle could have been avoided; Desna got frustrated and angry because she felt Roller wasn't coming through and was just using her and Roller getting embittered by the pressure Desna, The Russians and Uncle-Daddy were putting on him.

• Love 7

"You're acting too thirsty, boy." Polly must put it on Dr. Ken something fierce.

Poor Quiet Ann.

Bryce is always making problems worse. He's really not made for the criminal life.

A Persian Escobar in a strip mall. Heh.

A tiny skank ho. OMG. Wonder who Dean heard that from?

And I'm putting it out here right now, Uncle Daddy had something to do with killing Roller and Bryce's parents.

Yep.

For one, it's the name of a perfume/cologne by Calvin Klein that's sold even in drug stores now. She could've seen an ad for it on TV a few years ago.

neither Polly nor Quiet Anne seemed to think that the cop was using Anne to get closer to Desna.

Maybe they just didn't want to state the painfully obvious.

• Love 1

The murder that the cop is investigating Desna for happened after she started dating Quiet Ann, right? I'm trying too remember - I can understand Quiet Ann being in denial if that's the case. You never want to be used, or betrayed by a loved one, but being suckered into what you think is a legit relationship to be used to get to a good friend could seem even worse? So that's why I'm thinking she had so much trouble.

Of course, I could go back and find out that the relationship started right after the murder scene, and then I'd be wrong. Off to check now!

• Love 1

Except for the phone conversation with Dean, which made me laugh, I was really bored by the whole episode. I'll be glad after next week so I can't remove this show from the DVR.

• Love 2
On 8/7/2017 at 1:35 AM, HunterHunted said:

Totally agree.  Every time Virginia opens her mouth she reveals herself to be the conniving, egotistical idiot she is, and everybody in the salon knows it.

• Love 1

neither Polly nor Quiet Anne seemed to think that the cop was using Anne to get closer to Desna.

It's a given for Polly that the cop would use Ann. You remember in their scene, which by the way, was amazing acting by both actresses, but Polly says to Ann, something to the effect of "You're still seeing her?..." So Polly and Desna both expected that Ann had dumped her. 

I believe the first time we see that cop, I thought she and her partner parked in front of Desna's shop and then walked down to the clinic, that's where I thought they were going.  I thought as soon as I saw her that she was investigating the goings on in that clinic. Then I immediate thought that, yes, she must have already done a back ground check on Desna and her crew and had her sights on hooking up with Ann just to use her to take down that entire operation.  Then we saw her in Uncle Daddy's club side eyeing her partner who we know is in Uncle Daddy's pocket. And based on the eighth episode we know she suspect her partner of being dirty because she tells Ann that. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Keepitmoving said:

It's a given for Polly that the cop would use Ann. You remember in their scene, which by the way, was amazing acting by both actresses

It sure was, I'm loving the way this show let's it's actresses shine.

And a crazy one-scene appearance from Michael Emerson, Carrie Preston's hubby, Michael Emerson (not to be confused with Roller's alter ego, Mr. Emerson!).

• Love 2
3 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Totally agree.  Every time Virginia opens her mouth she reveals herself to be the conniving, egotistical idiot she is, and everybody in the salon knows it.

It is now 9 eps of her running in place as a character and it is tired, IMO. And as I said earlier, some of my irritation with her character is based on the official twitter about propping her up as awesome (I assume to rally Karrueche's fan base rather than the character itself being interesting or entertaining).

14 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

am actually glad that the show is showing how traumatic Roller being held hostage and raped repeatedly has been on him.  To often shows and society as a whole treat male rape as a joke, cause what guy wouldn't love to be forced to provide sexual favors.  I knew he wasn't going to kill Desna and not just because Niecy Nash is the star of the show, but because I am among the viewers who actually believed that Roller loves Desna to the best of his ability to love based on what he thinks love is.  I do think he got involved with the Russians to make sure Desna got the money to get a better shop, home and life for she and Dean after he realized Uncle-Daddy was never going to come through for Desna and the treatment he got from his uncle let him know he couldn't broach the subject again.  Some of his increasing jerky treatment of her is probably rooted in this (the ultimate case of the damage a lack of communication causes).  I'm not saying that they should be an endgame couple, but it was always clear to me that something more than just sex and business was there.  I think Desna keeping Roller from being killed shows that she too cares for him.  Her awareness of that caring might not have been as close to the surface as Roller's feelings are, but they are there.  As another poster noted, if Roller and Desna actually talked to each other honestly, this entire debacle could have been avoided; Desna got frustrated and angry because she felt Roller wasn't coming through and was just using her and Roller getting embittered by the pressure Desna, The Russians and Uncle-Daddy were putting on him.

I adore this comment from you. I like the layers you see and it can totally fit from what characters have said on the show, both Roller and Desna themselves as well as their friends and family.

Also, I wonder if Doctor Plot Point is part of the Haitian mob brought up in the ep if only to give him a real purpose. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

It is now 9 eps of her running in place as a character and it is tired, IMO. 

YES. At what point does this girl learn? It's exhausting continually thinking "oh, come ON", during every one of her scenes, she can't do a damn thing right. Desna told her to tell Polly exactly what she said, & she couldn't even get that right, a friggin' parrot has more skill than she does. 

Edited by GaT
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

But that has nothing to do with the show itself.

To me it does. It is the official show account, not a fan account, so on some level, they want to sway / gauge the audience on stories playing out plus drum up excitement. I find their tweets pointed and even leading at times regarding how they expect most viewers are reacting as well as what/who they want to spotlight. Obviously you don't see it that way and that it cool. Mileage varies.

The most interesting thing about this to me is that the show creator seems to like tweets contrary of the official tweets on Roller. 

• Love 1

I think Desna is going to offer up her new shop to those Russians as payment to get them all out this mess.

That being said, how in the hell did Desna afford to get Glint Nails? I can't remember where the money came from and it wasn't the money they won from the nail contest because I could have sworn she signed the deal on the new shop before that contest. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm wondering where the money came from to buy the new shop, I can't remember. Because it's not like she can buy the shop from the sale of the old shop. She didn't sell it.

The only that's "awesome" about Virginia is that she makes you want to slap the stupid right out of her consistently. That's about it. I think that's how I'm suppose to feel even though I can see deeper into why she acts like a jackass. If I'm not supposed to feel like slapping the shit out of her, then the writers need to stop making the other four women look like they want to knock her ass  out every time she speaks.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

To me it does. It is the official show account, not a fan account, so on some level, they want to sway / gauge the audience on stories playing out plus drum up excitement.

Many people consider only what's in the show to be part of the canon. The show portrays her character consistently at least! Not like the terrible inconsistencies with the others. Funny, I only follow their Instagram account, and don't really find it to be editorial comment on the show at all. As far as I can tell, this actress is on the show because she was somehow famous before it, and they are capitalizing on it. So obviously in *promoting* the show they are going to portray the actress positively. Within the story, they don't portray Virginia's behavior positively. They do make her eye candy.

Edited by flotsette
  • Love 1

As far as I can tell, this actress is on the show because she was somehow famous before it, and they are capitalizing on it.

If you're talking about Tran, she's on the show because of Niecy Nash. Niecy Nash has repeatedly given interviews with the other ladies and the show runner, and talks about how she tested with tons of actresses for the role of Virginia when finally she, Niecy, asked the producers if they knew of Karruche Tran, and that they should bring her in for a test. It is solely because of Niecy Nash bringing up Tran to the producers that she even got a chance to read for the part.

Now, on a different note, I'm still not understanding exactly how much money in total did Roller owe the Russians, I know it was more than the 150K. The 150K is supposed to settle him up. I don't get why/how exactly he ended up owing them that money, what was the deal exactly? Did he borrow money from them? Or, was he selling some kind of merchandise for them? I hope the show gives me some answers on this because I actually care about the details on the dirty businesses these folks are in. 

Last, Desna seems to know shady folks, but prior to her working for the clinic, I'm not sure she was ever into doing anything illegal. I want to know after she left the foster care system what did she do to take care of herself? And I'm betting she left before the age of eighteen which is when kids age out of that system. I'm thinking she didn't wait that long to get away from those animals. I think it sounded like she knew Jen from at least when she was in her twenties if not high school. Jen sneaking her into a New Edition concert makes me think they have been friends since high school. So, I totally get her coming to be attracted to Roller, but that not being the type of guy, a hustler, whose goal in life is to do illegal stuff for a living, I get that not being her goal. I get her in the flashback looking at Roller and telling the other ladies that he's not going to take me where I want to go and that it has nothing to do with him being a white guy. It has to do with making an honest living. It doesn't seem like she comes from trying to live a life of doing illegal things as awful as her childhood was. This money laundering in her late thirties/forties seems to be the first time she's done anything like this. I just would like some more background.

Hell, I want to know about Jen and her addiction. When did that start? Did it start even before she met Bryce?

Edited by Keepitmoving
6 hours ago, flotsette said:

Funny, I only follow their Instagram account, and don't really find it to be editorial comment on the show at all

You should check out the official twitter account, especially its live tweets when eps air. It's... interesting (and sometimes too try-hard).

Also, I am kinda side-eyeing the show about Desna's almost non-reaction to Virginia sleeping with Dean in South Beach and continuing to do so. And how much time has passed since Roller's return? Cause Dean's call to Desna in the car made it seem like it's been a while or so ("all the orgasms") yet the other events don't. I am lost on the timeline. 

7 hours ago, flotsette said:

As far as I can tell, this actress is on the show because she was somehow famous before it,

Someone mentioned previously that she'd done some acting prior to Claws but I only knew her as Chris Brown's ex that he cheated on and stalked

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

You should check out the official twitter account, especially its live tweets when eps air. It's... interesting (and sometimes too try-hard).

I'm not a Twitterer.... and frankly from your description of their tweets, not sure I want to start. I don't need anyone to tell me what to think about the show. LOL, the show pisses me off enough ON ITS OWN, some annoying tweets from a social media manager would probably put me over the edge haha.

I am 100% with you on Desna's non reaction to Virginia sleeping with Dean. And as far as the screwey timeline, or the characters doing things that make sense, or even just basic facts about the story making sense.... I have given up. (For instance, nothing about the entire nail salon move makes any sense business wise... what renter gets to decide who the next renter is? Why move your ultra high end business if it's so successful, just open a 2nd location? Why can't you take all your girls? Why wasn't the staff thing negotiated before now? NONE OF IT MAKES SENSE IN THE REAL WORLD.)

It was bothering me for a while, but I realized I was expecting far too much of this show.  I am just "rolling" with it now.

Ah ok. Tran is famous for having been the GF of someone famous. Explains why she is perfectly hot but can't act for shit.  Thanks, both of you, for explaining. Not sure why Niecy Nash wanted her on the show, but, it's true I can't take my eyes off her hotness. So there's that.

Edited by flotsette
  • Love 1

I don't get how Ann's girlfriend finding one of Desna's broken nails on Roller's dock being some kind of evidence against her.  Seems like any half decent lawyer could get that particular piece of "evidence" thrown out.  Even if it was supposed to be evidence that she was involved in Roller's death (which is "moo" now that he's not dead), it was sketchy at best.  I'm sure there are plenty of my broken nails and shed hairs (among other things) at my boyfriend's house.  

The line of the night for me was Dean telling Desna on the phone that he knew Desna thought Virginia was a tiny skank ho!  LMAO!  Speaking of Dean, he reminds me SO much of my nephew, who has Asperger's Syndrome, that it's scary.  The way of speaking, the mannerisms, the little ticks, even that little thing he does holding his fingers up to his eye that Roller copied this episode...Harold Perrineau is killing it.

• Love 8

150K is supposed to settle him up. I don't get why/how exactly he ended up owing them that money, what was the deal exactly? 

We've found out that he was funneling them about 25K a week, right? Through his "tigel" company. They seem to be asking for him to make up the payments he missed while he was "dead'/kidnapped. But I don't think we've found out why he was paying them off. And yeah, Uncle Daddy is going to be burned up when he finds out. Which is why in next week's dead pool (and you know at least one major character is going to be killed), I have Roller pretty high on the list.

50 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

We've found out that he was funneling them about 25K a week, right? Through his "tigel" company. They seem to be asking for him to make up the payments he missed while he was "dead'/kidnapped. But I don't think we've found out why he was paying them off. And yeah, Uncle Daddy is going to be burned up when he finds out. Which is why in next week's dead pool (and you know at least one major character is going to be killed), I have Roller pretty high on the list.

Really, is this a spoiler or something you just think will happen? I'll take my spoiler comment to that thread. 

And if someone is going to die, I don't put money on Roller, the producers love the Roller and Desna dynamic. The show runner said that the flashbacks in this episode told the love story between Desna and Roller, she specifically used the word "twisted" to describe that love, but it's supposed to be love nonetheless. I mean, originally he was supposed to stay dead, but they liked him so much they kept him. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 1

And to answer your question, I'm speculating. I'm not spoiled, but based on many, many years of watching TV shows, including end-of-season finales, someone gonna die! (Though of course they may make it a cliffhanger that's not revealed until next season.)

• Love 1