Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Reckoning

That was an outstanding episode. I've read extensively about the Revolution and and the people involved. I wish the entire series had been like this instead of focusing on Woodhull. 

I loved when Rochambeau indicated that Cornwallis's sword should be surrendered to Washington. Cornwallis was such a punk ass for pretending to be sick.

Why couldn't they have made Simcoe a fictional character so he could have been killed? Hewlett's forebearance of killing that monster was a huge disappointment. Simcoe surviving an infection like that is ridiculous anyway.

• Love 5

I guess the French naval commander never saw Spaceballs.  He kyped that line about firing over the bow like it was his own.  I read a bit more about the naval engagement in the Wiki article The Battle of the Chesapeake.  Shooting at each other was just as complicated back then, under sail, as it is now, under power.  So many things to consider.  The British commander of the ship who misunderstood the orders was named Hood; probably the HMS Hood was named after him.  Bummer.  And so the battle may have turned on the loss of the gunpowder that Benedict Arnold dumped so that he might profit from stolen tobacco.  I wonder if that ever got back to the upper levels of the Royal Army.

Fun fact:  When the French stormed Redoubt #10, the Hessian sentries were not expecting an attack, and at their sound went to the line and shouted "Who's there?"  (Landshark!)

I loved the look on Simcoe's face when  Hewlett revealed that the apple wasn't poisonous after all. 

So Peggy is going to name her son Edward.  Eddie Arnold? (Just keep Manhattan and give me that countryside).

• Love 5

Just read on line how the actual surrender ceremony took place after the battle of Yorktown.  AMC did a pretty accurate rendition even down to the furled flags that the British color guard carried.

Well, that was a quick end to the war.  Good thing Washington had Abe, Caleb, and Ben to win it for him.  And Anna there to play Molly Pitcher.  I know the characters needed something to do once the Culper thing was over, but this was ridiculous.  

However the Hewlett/Simcoe confrontation was exceptional.  So tense!

On 8/7/2017 at 11:46 AM, Haleth said:

However the Hewlett/Simcoe confrontation was exceptional.  So tense!

Yes - I guess Simcoe's heart grew three times too big laying in bed.  I guess that's how they will explain him going forward, having an epiphany of goodness and go on to become a beloved Canadian...

• Love 1
On 8/6/2017 at 3:05 AM, Dowel Jones said:

So Peggy is going to name her son Edward.  Eddie Arnold? (Just keep Manhattan and give me that countryside).

General Clinton: "New York is where I'd rather stay!"

Good episode.  Made me sorry the series is ending.   I never cottoned to Jamie Bell or the actress who plays his wife but everyone else in the cast has been outstanding.   True actors.  You never got any sense they were in this to become rich or famous or to do anything but bring their characters to life.  

I cringed at the heavy-handed suggestion that Anna Strong was the basis for Molly Pitcher, but since I am hopelessly infatuated with Anna Strong I will let it pass without further dispute.