Type keyword(s) to search

At Home With Amy Sedaris - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

The show has been a success in regards to viewer ratings. Since the series premiered, the audience has grown 52% among people aged 18 to 49. About a fourth of those people are new viewers to TruTv.[2]

Very good news indeed! Thanks 17wheatthins!

• Love 2

When she's on, she's ON. The first episode I saw was the one about having a dinner party on a budget and I deleted it about halfway through, just seemed a bit more gross than funny IMO. But I decided to give the show another chance, and I'm so glad I did - I've laughed heartily at all the other episodes, the Christmas special and the Murdercide shows in particular. I enjoy watching them more than once too, I find there are a lot of little subtleties I didn't catch or appreciate the first time around. It somehow amuses me how she'll switch the camera she's talking to, for just a word or so, for no real reason at all. Satirical perfection, I am happy to see that the ratings are good and the show will likely be around for another season. Though she'll never top the Christmas show, that will just have to be rerun as a yearly tradition, like It's a Wonderful Life or A Christmas Story, it's that good.

On 11/4/2017 at 3:03 AM, Corgi-ears said:

I think off it as a parody of cooking and entertaining shows, set in the world of Pee-wee's Playhouse.

Get out of my head!  When I was trying to sell this series to my brother,  I told him it's "Martha Stewart meets Pee-Wee's Playhouse."

On 11/8/2017 at 6:15 PM, Morbs said:

its friday night, gunna get drunk, gunna get laid, gunna be late on monday

This song has become a Friday ritual for my husband and me!  You have to do the jaunty little dance to get the full effect.  

Edited by Portia

This is a little off topic, but I recently watched the first episode of Portlandia.  I have never seen any other episode of Portlandia, just to make that clear.

Anyway, the entire time I was watching it, I kept thinking that "This type of humor is very similar to the Amy Sedaris show".  

Especially The Lady Who Lives in the Woods.  She would be equally at home on either show, IMO.

I loved that Stephen Colbert was on the show.  I had forgotten that he and Amy worked together on “Strangers With Candy.”  I also love her recordings on the audios of David’s books. I just found out that their sister, Tiffany passed.  Amy said she did the show to kind of distract her from the grief.  

So glad Amy is coming back for a 2nd season.  There was a 2 minute preview showing some of her guest stars, enemies and friends.  I captured some screen shots of some of the characters (Amy, Patty Hogg, Nutmeg, etc.) - her show is so querky and odd which is why I like it.

amy-1.JPG

amy-2.JPG

amy-3.JPG

On 11/9/2017 at 11:40 AM, marketdoctor said:

It's kind of an American, female-centric version of The Red Green Show, or an off-the-rails spoof of sewing/craft and cooking shows.  Though the comparison to Pee-Wee's Playhouse is awesomely accurate.

I know this is a really old comment to reply to, but I used to LOVE The Red Green Show. Keep your stick on the ice!

Loving this show so much, too. Murdercide is my favorite so far. I've watched it about 3 times now, and it's just as funny on re-watching. But the Amy-sicle mooning over Yves St. Au Jus at the end of the hat show will stay with me for a loooooong time.

• Love 2
On 3/1/2019 at 6:58 PM, carrps said:

But the Amy-sicle mooning over Yves St. Au Jus at the end of the hat show will stay with me for a loooooong time.

“I’m allergic to stuffed” and it just got better from there.

This last episode was a sendoff of The Ghost and Mrs Muir.  I wonder if we'll ever see the Captain again?

It was funny how he was talking about how the body we take into the afterlife is the one we die with, and he let her know that if she lived too long and got too old he wouldn't be interested.

• Love 3

I liked when Amy was pointing with her cigarette, which bowl to put which ingredients into and cigarette ash fell into each bowl as she did it.

I liked that the book that Michael Stipe read his poem from had the title "Tassels" gold embossed on the cover.

• Love 3
On 3/27/2019 at 7:09 PM, AnimeMania said:

I liked when Amy was pointing with her cigarette, which bowl to put which ingredients into and cigarette ash fell into each bowl as she did it.

Amy's sense of humor is so off the wall.  I liked how she was giggling as she was throwing away the cupcakes Susan Sarandon brought in.

I had been thinking this season was a little weak, but the Anniversary show might have been the best episode yet.

I've said too much, I've said too much!

• Love 1

At Home with Amy Sedaris: Season 2: Episode 6: Halloween

I really enjoyed this episode, it was probably the most even of the episodes, with laughs all the way through. Kicking people down the stairs is never not funny. Chassie put the whole eggs into the feetloaf even though there was shelled eggs in the bowl next to the whole ones. Nutmeg rubs her butt on the chair as a trick because she didn't like Amy's treat. Least funny moment was the giant pumpkin crushing the villian, they needed something a little more creative for the climax of a Rube Goldberg device.

• Love 1

Yay, Ann Dowd! Always so great to see her, even though her role on The Handmaid's Tale has been branded so indelibly in my mind that when she pops up in other places, it always seems somehow menacing... Fortunately, that doesn't override my happiness that she's there!

Some good stuff going on in this episode. I agree with the poster upthread who said this season hasn't been quite as strong as the first. There have been enough solid episodes to keep me on board, but I'm a bit disappointed to see the show leaning in to some of the things I liked least about the first season. I know it's just a matter of preference, not quality, but I'm never really a fan of using cruelty as a source of humour. It just never makes me laugh. I think Amy is at her best when she is good-natured, but out of her depth dealing with the absurdity of the wacky characters around her (Like when she's trying desperately to carry on a cheerful, pleasant conversation with the knife guy, and his every response just gets darker and creepier), rather than when she's unfairly berating her underlings or acting nastily egotistical. I'm disappointed to see that Amy's mean streak is getting a bit more play this season - it really kills the comedy for me, and it makes it hard to figure out how we're supposed to feel about Amy as a character. Chassie Tucker's been off this season, too. I simply don't see the humour in having her come in, act openly resentful or hostile about being there, and then leave. What's the joke? I'm glad, though, to see her getting a bit more to do these past few episodes, which will hopefully help to give her character some more clearly defined sense of purpose.

(By the way, am I overthinking things, or is her name a joke on the fact that her character is played by a man? Given that a "chassis" is a sort of undercarriage or foundational structure of a vehicle, does this mean that Chassie Tucker is someone who... tucks? Her... undercarriage?)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, One Imaginary Girl said:

What other show would have tributes to Wait Until Dark AND Million Dollar Baby?  And I LOL'd at the line "I accidentally did most of the drugs."  Best episode yet.

I love the movie references on this show. They're not obscure, but they also aren't films that are frequently referenced in pop culture, so you'd have to be a movie fan to recognize them. My favorite was the Halloween episode tribute to Hush Hush, Sweet Charlotte. I also liked Leslie's dressing in drag and Patti's obliviousness. Who was the singer he was imitating?

Amy also gets some primo guest stars -- Susan Sarandon, Jessica Walter, Juliette Lewis, etc.

Did anyone else notice that the actor who plays Chassie was one of the singers in the Anniversary episode?

• Love 1

That sugar episode was one of my favorite so far, even though it was pretty goofy.  Or maybe because of it.  I liked the part where the Lady who lives in the Woods got stung by the bees that the bear riled up.  I also always get a kick out of how passive aggressive she is with her partner, Esther.

Maybe I could relate to it all because I have a small sugar addiction myself.

On 4/13/2019 at 4:29 PM, Slovenly Muse said:

(By the way, am I overthinking things, or is her name a joke on the fact that her character is played by a man? Given that a "chassis" is a sort of undercarriage or foundational structure of a vehicle, does this mean that Chassie Tucker is someone who... tucks? Her... undercarriage?)

That has definitely always been my take on Chassie's name. 

I've looked in vain for Season 1 on DVD. It would make a great gift for my brother.

My spouse and I have found the second season even funnier than the first. The movie parodies have been amazing.

What is that small beautiful green bowl she has on the counter -- is it Pyrex or Jadeite? Or something else? Does anyone know--I must have it at all costs! Ah've said too much, ah've said too muuuch!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Like the ones in this pic?  Looks like Fire King Jadeite to me.  I thought Martha Stewart had bought up every piece of that in existence (I'm only partly kidding), but there's a bunch of them for sale on Etsy.  Probably worth checking eBay as well.

Act fast.  My whole kitchen is that color.  I may buy up whatever Martha hasn't hogged.  (See what I did there?!)

• Love 1

I found a few on Ebay! When I first saw it on Amy's show, the shape looked so Pyrex, but the color is so Fire King. Coincidentally, I have also been rewatching Buffy, and noticed that Giles has a Jadeite mug!

• Love 1

Love this show. The one where she eats the wrong mushrooms and trips out I busted my gut laughing.

There's an audiobook book Colbert, Sedaris and Dinello wrote and perform, 'Wigfield: The Can-Do Town That Just May Not'  that is very funny, imo

Edited by 100Proof
  • Love 2
On 4/13/2019 at 5:29 PM, Slovenly Muse said:

(By the way, am I overthinking things, or is her name a joke on the fact that her character is played by a man? 

Wow, do I feel stupid.  I had no idea Chassie was played by a man.  Of course, once you see it you can't unsee it.

I still can't believe I didn't realize Chassie Tucker was played by a man.  Of course once you see it, you can't unsee it.  I just thought she was a little odd looking.

• LOL 2

"Babies" – Wednesday, May 20 at 10:00pm ET/PT

In this very special episode of At Home with Amy Sedaris, Amy explains something no one understands: babies! Learn how to pick the perfect baby name, how to get your perfect body back, and how to design the perfect crib mobile from rusty nails! Amy answers all the questions you’ve ever had about the most precious of bundles, but can Amy put her own words into action? Find out on At Home with Amy Sedaris! Guest appearances include Justin Theroux, Laura Benanti, Jane Krakowski, John Early and Josh Hamilton.

Well it definitely was on brand (i.e.: bizarre) so it didn’t disappoint. I liked how she immediately channeled Glenn Close in “Fatal Attraction” with a dash of “Melrose Place” crazy Kimberly from when she stole Joe’s baby, all while trying to be a woman who can have it all.

I get a kick out of the fact that the show never bothers to give Cole Escola’s Chassie Tucker a fake breastplate to give the illusion that she has a womanly frame. 

And it’s nice to see Lesbo getting more screen time with Patty!

• Love 1

"Valentine's Day" – Wednesday, May 27 at 10:00pm ET/PT

In this very special episode of At Home with Amy Sedaris, Amy hosts her first annual, never-to-be-repeated, Valentine’s Day mixer! Amy has long resigned herself that being in a special relationship with that middle-aged lady in the mirror is a relationship that works. But after a local Hammily Waggily delivery has Amy found true love? Can this mismatched pair navigate the speed bumps, hurdles and angry friends and neighbors and make this work? Probably not. Let’s find out! Guest appearances include Michael Cera and James Saito.

Valentine3.thumb.jpg.9c5b9610d56b6a405349ba6898673db4.jpg

I liked the Valentine episode better than the season opener.  Amy as a lonely spinster was fertile ground for comedy.  I liked how she had all those pictures of her ex-boyfriends with their faces scratched out (angrily, from the looks of it).  Also liked how the knife guy broke the supposed storyline by calling Michael Cera by his real name instead of "Travis".  

But I was disappointed that Patty didn't call Leslie Lesbo.

On 5/28/2020 at 12:51 AM, AnimeMania said:

"Amy has long resigned herself that being in a special relationship with that middle-aged lady in the mirror is a relationship that works.

That needs to be on a tee shirt. If I’m ever reincarnated into a fabulous woman, I want that to be my life motto!

"Outdoor Entertaining" - Wednesday, June 3 at 10:00pm ET/PT

In this very special episode of At Home with Amy Sedaris, Amy hosts a Labor Day all-staff, optionally mandatory BBQ in Patty Hogg's backyard. The celebration kicks off when the At Home Charter bus arrives carrying the Sedaris crew, but the festivities take a turn when a mysterious but tantalizing drifter staggers into the yard. When the stranger appears to hold the answers to life's problems he wins the staff over, diverting attention away from Amy. Will Amy ever gain the attention and loyalty of her crew back? Did she ever have it in the first place? Let's find out! Special guests include Darrell Hammond and David Koechner.

"Easter" - Wednesday, June 10 at 10:00pm ET/PT

From butter lambs to Jesus beards, learn how to prepare for the perfect holiday. Amy gives a glimpse into all her Easter traditions. Amy has a surprise guest, her sister who brings Easter cheer as well as a horrible family secret.

650225830_smallat-home-with-amy-sedaris_7.thumb.jpg.bea9045f8411205c7f977a4607a55f8c.jpg

Twin Sisters

The Easter episode was good.  I liked Nutmeg in the Easter egg hunt, and Patty Hogg.  "The wildcat is out of the bag!" 

I guess the choir lady is a new character of Amy's?  I don't remember seeing her before, and her name escapes me.  Started with an "L", I think.  She looked like Amy doing Patty Hogg doing an impersonation of her.

"Travel" – Wednesday, June 17 at 10:00pm ET/PT

In this very special episode of At Home with Amy Sedaris, Amy prepares to set sail on an ad-sponsored cruise to the Fedderland Islands! Before she shoves off, we’ll learn important travel tips from all the experts. How to pack light with Chassie Tucker, explore why sharp things make the best travel companions with Tony Pugnalata, and how to set up a house-sitter with Patty Hogg. All this and more, before climbing aboard the majestic Royal Pompeii! Guest appearances from Jason Sudeikis and Peter Serafinowicz.

Originally supposed to be Episode One of the new season.371517157_smallat-home-with-amy-sedaris_23.thumb.jpg.e100a70830690c7f5883c4b1c28e9795.jpg

Always make sure "all of your affairs are in order" before you head out on your cruise.

• Useful 1