Type keyword(s) to search

At Home With Amy Sedaris - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I have two questions, second one first.

I thought Amy's camel toe-infested exercising would be the highlight of Ep 2 until she busted out her Greek dance at the end.

The guest stars were delightful, but Cole Escola as Chassie Tucker was hysterical, and had the cutest dress.

Also, cheese will work with you if you let it.

• Love 6

I thought Chassie was the highlight too.  I've never heard of Cole before but on his Twitter he has a very funny video of him making fun of people interviewed in true crime docs that cracked me up.

I thought the show was pretty funny.   I wondered if they were running two episodes at a time to burn through them since they have no confidence in the show lasting.  I don't either really, it's too weird but I have no idea what TruTV wants in numbers.

• Love 1
On 10/26/2017 at 10:54 AM, Corgi-ears said:

I thought Amy's camel toe-infested exercising would be the highlight of Ep 2 until she busted out her Greek dance at the end.

iTunes/AppleTV indicated this was Episode 1, but now that I realize Tru showed two episodes on opening week, I can see how Apple made that mistake.

In any case the episode with the camel toe-infested exercising, Chassie, and Greek dancing was the only one I've seen so far, and I thought it was hilarious. I love Amy, but for some reason didn't have high expectations for this particular project. I was wrong.

• Love 2

This show definitely does not disappoint.  I've been a Sedaris fan from the early 90's when her brother, David, did brief monologues on NPR and then started releasing books that I bought the day they were released.  I bought Amy's books in the early 2000's purely on the strength of Strangers with Candy.  This show is irreverent and quirky, with plenty of gags that sneak up on you.  I'm generally not one to "LOL," but this show manages it.  I like the fact that there are running gags from show to show (the lady who lives in the woods and the creepy ex-boyfriend!).  I'm in for the duration.

• Love 5

Were those the Rooster's kids? The little girl looked like a mini David but the recording cut out before the credits so I couldn' check. 

I want Nick and Martin Starr to play long haired bearded brothers.

I vote for one thread.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, DiabLOL said:

I absolutely love this show. I really don't think I'd be able to describe it to anyone, though? Anyone?

I think off it as a parody of cooking and entertaining shows, set in the world of Pee-wee's Playhouse.

On 10/27/2017 at 8:33 AM, Morbs said:

I thought Chassie was the highlight too.  I've never heard of Cole before

Cole Escola is a semi-regular (and consultant) on Difficult People, where I find him hilarious, though some viewers seem to think that his character is a little much. 

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

Do you guys think episode-specific threads would be a better idea, or do you like the all episodes thread? I’m leaving it up to you all to decide; there’s not a lot of traffic, but I’ll do whatever is more popular. :-)

My own vote goes the other way from @SuzyLee's, although I'm fine with whatever. My reason is that when all episodes are lumped together, I can't look at the topic without being "spoiled" for episodes I haven't seen yet. (Or, to put it another way, I have to make sure I'm completely caught up on episodes before it's safe for me to look at the topic.) Not that big a deal I guess.

7 hours ago, Corgi-ears said:

I think off it as a parody of cooking and entertaining shows, set in the world of Pee-wee's Playhouse.

YES!  I knew this show reminded me of something.  

I love clever, off-the-wall humor, especially when done by a Sedaris, but I also realize that it can be a hard-sell to most people (see: the original 2003-2006 run of Arrested Development).  I have an uneasy feeling that we should enjoy this one while it lasts.  I hope I’m wrong!

• Love 1

I think TruTV looks at both the cost/ratings ratio and the ratings of whatever would replace it, which gives me hope.  The production company probably is hoping for cult-status DVD sales, which I also hope for.

It's kind of an American, female-centric version of The Red Green Show, or an off-the-rails spoof of sewing/craft and cooking shows.  Though the comparison to Pee-Wee's Playhouse is awesomely accurate.

I'm OK with a catch-all, but we should reference which show first, so someone who doesn't want to be spoiled can skip over.  For instance, in episode 4, where Amy prepares for her rich uncle, I loved the ending reveal (and how she was cleaning the hat at the very end, and her denial).  I've only seen two episodes (the most recent two), but both had brilliant use of the guest cast.  In that same episode, I also loved the idea of everlasting candlesticks that sounded like they'd cost more than real candlesticks.  Maybe you save money on the re-use.

i don't get this show, it's too weird for me. i was hoping there was going to be comedy mixed in with actual crafts. i love the 50's look of the set but i can't watch this anymore. it's too strange. i can't figure out what they are going for. i have too many other things to watch and not enough time as it is, so as much as i was looking forward to this, have to delete it.

On 11/3/2017 at 2:48 PM, DiabLOL said:

I absolutely love this show. I really don't think I'd be able to describe it to anyone, though? Anyone?

It's so original and bizarre and brilliant, therefore, yeah, it won't last. 

I'll admit I've never seen an entire episode of this, but I think I'm going to start watching.  I've caught the first 5-10 minutes of several shows and went away thinking "What...?".  I only know Amy Sedaris because I recognized her as the motivational speaker in one episode of The Middle.  I guess it's a parody of a Martha Stewart type cooking and craft show?

I have to agree it is original, and it has definitely made me laugh.  I've never seen anything else quite like it.

• Love 2

After really liking the first couple of episodes, I'm starting to cool on this show. Don't know what it is. Maybe the "shtick" doesn't have enough legs? Anyway, the dinner-for-peanuts episode was more gross than funny, IMO. Maybe just a one-off? I'll tune in next week.

Edited by Milburn Stone
18 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

After really liking the first couple of episodes, I'm starting to cool on this show. Don't know what it is. Maybe the "shtick" doesn't have enough legs? Anyway, the dinner-for-peanuts episode was more gross than funny, IMO. Maybe just a one-off? I'll tune in next week.

I just watched "dinner for peanuts", and I had many of the same thoughts.  I have to agree it was a weak episode, the first three in the series seemed a lot better.  I don't know if it was just a bad week, or if they're running out of ideas.  Hopefully the episode on grief that aired tonight was better.

LOVE this show!! I also had noticed a similarity to Pee-Wee's Playhouse so I'm glad somebody else pointed that out!

I always love self-deprecating humor, which both Sedarises have made their trademark, and I also love the heavy dollop of passive-aggressive put-downs we get both between "The Lady Who Lives in the Woods" and her 'companion', and also Amy with her various "assistants" doing crafts.

Being in/from Raleigh, NC, where the Sedarises grew up, I especially love the subtle references she throws in about local place-names, and the Patty Hogg character is clearly a direct spoof of a "home show" hostess from this area in the 70s named Peggy Mann (even the names are Cryptoquotes of each other)--the "Southern belle" accent and everything! Actually even the "At Home with..." name comes from here:

• Love 5

Thanks for the video, Francois.  You don't get to see stuff like that everyday.  I could hear some Patty Hogg in Peggy, it's subtle, but it's there.  I didn't see Nutmeg though  :)

They keep showing that clip or commercial of Amy pouring the pancake mix into the toaster, and then giggling when the square pancakes pop out.  I love that scene, but I haven't seen it in an episode yet.  I don't know if it's a deleted scene, a scene just for a commercial, or if it will be coming up in a future episode.  I guess we'll find out.

• Love 1

Well, after raving over the first few episodes, I have to say--last night's (11/21) was a REAL letdown. Other than the nude exercise at the beginning, nothing was funny about it at all. Even the "Lady Who Lives in the Woods" was completely out of character and there was no passive-aggression between her and Esther, which is the funniest thing about those two. The male guests were quirky but not funny, and that bear... ? ? ?

I certainly hope this show hasn't already Jumped the Shark in just 6 episodes :( Bring back the INDOOR shows, the crafting, and Patty Hogg!

• Love 2

Recently finished watching the 'Grieving' episode - it was a riot!  That Patty Hogg and her sidekick 'Nutmeg' were just too funny.  I got that Nutmeg was 'special' and required constant supervision based on the brief scenes she was in.  Of course Amy plays all three characters in addition to a singer during the services for her fish.  Some of the episodes are kinda flat but overall it's a very different kind of show that appeals to someone like me as I have a rather quirky sense of humor.  There is so much going on and the script is packed with things I think go over most peoples heads.  One thing I noticed were the letters (SMEG) on the refrigerator door.  There is a word that has those first four letters and I was wondering if it's a reference to 'that' word.

I looked ahead in the guide and there is at least an eighth episode but no reference to a 'finale'.

I've seen Amy on many of the late night talk shows and she is wired to the max which explains her broad yet intense activity on her At Home show.  It is good to have something creative/different and refreshing to watch.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, mickiemac said:

One thing I noticed were the letters (SMEG) on the refrigerator door.  There is a word that has those first four letters and I was wondering if it's a reference to 'that' word.

SMEG is an actual appliance brand.  I think they haven't been sold in the US till fairly recently, but I've been aware of the brand for a long time, 'cause I've always wanted a colored fridge, and the other things they sell are always beautifully designed.  I wouldn't be surprised if the "smegma" connection played a part in the choice of that brand for the show, though.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

SMEG is an actual appliance brand.  I think they haven't been sold in the US till fairly recently, but I've been aware of the brand for a long time, 'cause I've always wanted a colored fridge, and the other things they sell are always beautifully designed.  I wouldn't be surprised if the "smegma" connection played a part in the choice of that brand for the show, though.

Thanks so much for clarifying the SMEG refrigerator - I will check their website as I too really like the cool styling and unique colors.  As you noted, they may have chosen that brand just for the impact of what might be meant by "that" word.  That Amy is always thinking!

On 11/22/2017 at 4:32 PM, Francois40 said:

Well, after raving over the first few episodes, I have to say--last night's (11/21) was a REAL letdown. Other than the nude exercise at the beginning, nothing was funny about it at all. Even the "Lady Who Lives in the Woods" was completely out of character and there was no passive-aggression between her and Esther, which is the funniest thing about those two. The male guests were quirky but not funny, and that bear... ? ? ?

It was a mixed bag for me.  I loved Amy's trip out dance with the bear after eating the magic mushroom.  Probably my single favorite scene in the series so far, but I've always been fond of/nostalgic for the '60s.  

I agree that the Lady Who Lives in the Woods seemed out of character, though, and I didn't care for the male guests this week.

• Love 1

Thought I'd provide some images of the elusive Nutmeg that was briefly seen on episode 5 (Grieving) in 3 scenes.  I've attached the images in the order in which Nutmeg appeared.  The first is when she darted into the house, the 2nd was when she was cutting the cord to the lamp (I'm surprised she wasn't electrocuted!) and finally when she was showing Patty Hogg how she made the tissue ghosts.  A very odd character indeed!

nutmeg-1.JPG

nutmeg-2.JPG

nutmeg-3.JPG

• Love 1

Nutmeg was in the Christmas special also.

I liked the part where they did the takeoff on the old "Trilogy of Terror" story with the killer Zuni doll.  The contrast between that and the idea of a Christmas special was fantastic.

I don't know if I would say this show is good exactly, but it's so odd it's refreshing.  I certainly enjoy it, or at least parts of it.

• Love 1

Okay, that was the single funniest thing I think I've ever seen. I laughed until I cried, I literally couldn't breath when Amy shoved that tiki into the turkey. Oh my God, the best holiday special ever, a classic. She took every holiday trope and turned it inside out, an absolute riot from beginning to end. A definite keeper. Off to recover now

• Love 3

I love this show--I love Li'l Zuni tribute, I love Christopher Meloni (always!), I love it all--even her horrific glue techniques that make my neat and orderly self cringe! And I have no idea why, but "YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH ABOUT THAT VANILLA!" made me laugh for an hour! And I love, love, love Patty Hogg so much, especially when she abruptly repeats a phrase. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

I love this show--I love Li'l Zuni tribute, I love Christopher Meloni (always!), I love it all--even her horrific glue techniques that make my neat and orderly self cringe! And I have no idea why, but "YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH ABOUT THAT VANILLA!" made me laugh for an hour! And I love, love, love Patty Hogg so much, especially when she abruptly repeats a phrase. 

I've said too much!

• Love 4

I can't find it online now, but the police officer was the woman from Exit 57 who was in the "Office Crazy" sketch and is the producer/writer of this show too!  Anyways, that sketch was hilarious, "I'm so high I can't get out of this chair."

Murdercide was another funny episode.  The best word I can think of to describe this show is "surreal".  

I had no idea before watching this show how brilliant Amy Sedaris was.

I"ve said too much!  I've said too much!

• Love 3

Still loving this show hope it gets renewed.

I could watch entire hour long episodes of the lady who lives in the woods seething passive aggressively at her quiet companion. Seeing Esther's delight over the older visitor's insults was sublime then there's a seamless transition to how they bond when the old lady hits a tree! 

Edited by DiabLOL
  • Love 1

This is my new favorite show, and I hope it stays around.  I watch the episodes multiple times because there is so much to catch.  When I've shown it to my friends, they. . . didn't seem to get it.  *sad*

My perspective on it is Amy is doing a surreal version of Martha Stewart, Peggy Mann, and any and all PBS cooking and craft shows with a healthy dose of contemporary internet trends mixed in.  All the drawers under her stairs is such an unrealistic Pinterest gimmick!

I find it to be absolutely brilliant.  The set design is wonderful with Amy's bright and airy kitchen.  Her wardrobe is quirky, nostalgic, and fun.   The best is when she scotch tapes on fake fingernails to make the crafts more difficult.  lol  The crafts!  The crafts are all so stupid and unnecessary which is brilliant.  Sometimes I think with the crafts she is more spoofing on the trendy Nifty videos (which I 99% of the time find to be pointless crafts).

• Love 4
3 hours ago, AirQuotes said:

This is my new favorite show, and I hope it stays around.  I watch the episodes multiple times because there is so much to catch.  When I've shown it to my friends, they. . . didn't seem to get it.  *sad*

My perspective on it is Amy is doing a surreal version of Martha Stewart, Peggy Mann, and any and all PBS cooking and craft shows with a healthy dose of contemporary internet trends mixed in.  All the drawers under her stairs is such an unrealistic Pinterest gimmick!

I find it to be absolutely brilliant.  The set design is wonderful with Amy's bright and airy kitchen.  Her wardrobe is quirky, nostalgic, and fun.   The best is when she scotch tapes on fake fingernails to make the crafts more difficult.  lol  The crafts!  The crafts are all so stupid and unnecessary which is brilliant.  Sometimes I think with the crafts she is more spoofing on the trendy Nifty videos (which I 99% of the time find to be pointless crafts).

I'll never forget my shock and awe when I  realized she was using globs of Elmer's glue on those cheese sail appetizers!

• Love 2
19 hours ago, AirQuotes said:

Amy Sedaris was on the Tonight Show the other night, and she showed the clip with the Zuni doll from the Christmas special.  When I first saw that I was on the floor.  But it seemed to me the audience here didn't get it either.  Jimmy Fallon called the show "Odd and wonderful", which I thought was a pretty good description.

• Love 2

Do people realize just how subversively funny the "I've said too much! I've said too much!" line can be taken? HA!  I don't know if comes from some other show or if it's something Amy picked up from someone else. If she came up with it for the character of Patty Hogg, god..Amy is a comic genius.  I absolutely love this show and I so hope it gets renewed.  It's hard for me to understand why there would be people who don't get the humor, but maybe they just aren't into Amy Sedaris.

This show has become a very welcomed funny refuge for me at this time and even the episodes that miss a little bit still have enough "Amy" to keep me laughing. In the episode where Jane Krakowski (sp) did the Craft section with Amy, well..it just about killed me.  Only because Amy ends up smiling at Jane's goodbye and calls her a "not so nice" name just outta nowhere. It caught me so off guard I laughed until I dangerously choked. Ehhh. It was scary. But...very, very funny.

I'm not optimistic, though.  I think I'm going to lose Amy like I lost Martin on Downward Dog.  I still tear up from that one.

• Love 1