Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: Stew the Right Thing

• Start Topic

29 minutes ago, Swim mom said:

My 21 year old calls them milkshakes.  Whst else could they be?

I'm 45 and I still call them milk shakes. After all, they're MADE using milk. So why wouldn't they be called milk shakes? I don't understand the poster who decided to criticize everyone who calls them milk shakes. And what does that poster call them? A shake? If so, here's a newsflash: That's short for "milk shake"!

• Love 9

I'm in my late 40s and I also call them milkshakes.  Always have, always will.  I don't know what else you can call them.  Other than at DQ, they are called milkshakes everywhere.  Unless it's a malted, which is a different drink. 

I have to admit, I'm dying of curiosity for the OP to respond and explain the deal with "milkshake."   

• Love 7
1 minute ago, psychoticstate said:

I'm in my late 40s and I also call them milkshakes.  Always have, always will.  I don't know what else you can call them.  Other than at DQ, they are called milkshakes everywhere.  Unless it's a malted, which is a different drink. 

I have to admit, I'm dying of curiosity for the OP to respond and explain the deal with "milkshake."   

Gawd, I can't remember the last time I even ordered a milk shake! After I found out how many calories, I gave them up saying I'd rather have something more substantial like CAKE! A shake is a meal and a half depending on how big and how much extra ice cream is asked to be included! My family always did the extra scoop, but I'm pretty sure it's been well over 30 years since I've had a sniff of that much creaminess! Same for pastas like Alfredo! Deadly! Been years even though I love pasta; I stick with red sauces!  ;-)

Gee. Just got to thinking that the primary wanted a shot of Baileys in his. I might change to a coffee milkshake with a shot of Baileys. 

(Good thing I got upset over on the RHONY thread and ate some chocolate or else I'd be in my kitchen to make one lol) (

• Love 1

Gee. Just got to thinking that the primary wanted a shot of Baileys in his. I might change to a coffee milkshake with a shot of Baileys

I thought he told Hannah to put the shot of Bailey's in the already drunk lady's milkshake (she ordered chocolate...he ordered strawberry. I don't see putting Bailey's in strawberry)? I thought it was him showcasing what a sick pig he is. 

46 minutes ago, CaliforniaLove said:

I thought he told Hannah to put the shot of Bailey's in the already drunk lady's milkshake (she ordered chocolate...he ordered strawberry. I don't see putting Bailey's in strawberry)? I thought it was him showcasing what a sick pig he is. 

I saw that the other way around. That she got strawberry and he got the shot in his. 

1 hour ago, psychoticstate said:

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I googled and they can also be called a frappe. Oddly in Massachusetts they don't have to contain ice cream to be called a milkshake. 

1 hour ago, sadie said:

Maybe the milkshake poster meant the way the guy emphasized the word MILK? It's the only thing I can come up with?

I'm so curious about this now.  In the 1950s milkshakes were also called "frappes", "velvets," "frosted [drinks]", or "cabinets" in different parts of the U.S. A specialty style of milkshake, the "concrete," was "...a milk shake so thick that the server hands it out the order window upside down, demonstrating that not a drop will drip." I've also heard ice milks. There are branded names like Blizzard and McFlurry.

1 hour ago, CaliforniaLove said:

I think he actually ordered Bailey's in a strawberry milkshake, which gross.

• Love 2

I'm going to have to disagree on a McFlurry being a milkshake.  It doesn't come with a straw and there's a separate shakes menu.  Not that I go to McDonalds all that often.  I always feel stressed out and stupid because I don't go often enough to know what's on the menu and I feel like everyone in line behind me is annoyed because I'm taking too long to order, so I usually just end up with a McFlurry.  Story of my life at fast food places (except Del Taco) and Starbucks.  I have to go when there is not a line.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I'm going to have to disagree on a McFlurry being a milkshake.  It doesn't come with a straw and there's a separate shakes menu.

Same with Blizzards from Dairy Queen. At least, they don't contain milk (it's basically soft serve with mix-ins) and aren't served with a straw. And I think DQ has a separate milkshake menu, too.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Avon.Blakes7 said:

Gawd, I can't remember the last time I even ordered a milk shake! After I found out how many calories, I gave them up saying I'd rather have something more substantial like CAKE! A shake is a meal and a half depending on how big and how much extra ice cream is asked to be included! My family always did the extra scoop, but I'm pretty sure it's been well over 30 years since I've had a sniff of that much creaminess! Same for pastas like Alfredo! Deadly! Been years even though I love pasta; I stick with red sauces!  ;-)

They can pry my milkshakes, steaks, burgers, and bacon from my cold, dead hands. "You'll never get me, copper!" heh. There's a particular place we go when we visit family in Milwaukee (Kopp's, if anyone is interested) and I always get a large chocolate milkshake made with chocolate custard (actual custard, not that shitty ice cream that Culver's likes to claim is custard - there is a difference), extra chocolate syrup, and hot fudge. If it kills me, it'll have been worth it. I don't get alfredo very often because it's not often on the menu. :) Otherwise, I'd be like a moth to a flame there, too.

14 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I'm so curious about this now.  In the 1950s milkshakes were also called "frappes", "velvets," "frosted [drinks]", or "cabinets" in different parts of the U.S. A specialty style of milkshake, the "concrete," was "...a milk shake so thick that the server hands it out the order window upside down, demonstrating that not a drop will drip." I've also heard ice milks. There are branded names like Blizzard and McFlurry.

I think he actually ordered Bailey's in a strawberry milkshake, which gross.

The bolded part annoys the crap out of me when DQ employees try to do this. I usually tell them not to do it and, mercifully, they usually cooperate.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Avon.Blakes7 said:

Wild Blackberry milkshake at Fat Smittys.

Life is too short to not occasionally forgo healthy eating in exchange for a drink even God wouldn't turn down. 

• Love 9
18 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

Someone just upthread of the OP called them "ice cream shakes." Maybe that's what she meant. But I've never heard them called that. Count me in with those who know them as milkshakes.

That one part where the guy wanted to see the two women drinking out of straws together....eeeeew.

And, for what it's worth, plenty of people like that fake, surgically enhanced look. Woman...and the men who date them.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, sleepyjean said:

Someone just upthread of the OP called them "ice cream shakes." Maybe that's what she meant. But I've never heard them called that. Count me in with those who know them as milkshakes.

That one part where the guy wanted to see the two women drinking out of straws together....eeeeew.

And, for what it's worth, plenty of people like that fake, surgically enhanced look. Woman...and the men who date them.

Yes, yes they do. It both mystifies me and always reminds me of Number Twelve Looks Just Like You. My mystification stems partly from the second part of the previous sentence.

One summer in the 70s I got orange/pineapple milkshakes every morning from a little shack next to where I had an early dance class. They were divine.

I think after this season ends I am done with this series. It's like watching middle schoolers and they are all in on the scripted storylines, even Captain Sandy. You can see them walk into a scene and deliver their lines meant to keep the drama going.

• Love 2

I think after this season ends I am done with this series. It's like watching middle schoolers and they are all in on the scripted storylines, even Captain Sandy. You can see them walk into a scene and deliver their lines meant to keep the drama going.

I know that's what keeps these series running, but they really could have showcased a bit more of Croatia. What a wasted opportunity!

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, CaliforniaLove said:

I know that's what keeps these series running, but they really could have showcased a bit more of Croatia. What a wasted opportunity!

Even with the little they've shown, it has now moved way up on my "dream places to visit" list.  But not on a yacht.  I could probably figure out how to find a place to jetski not too far from Philly.  And eat good food where I can avoid onions in it not too far from Philly either.  I want to go to that fort, and those waterfalls, etc.!

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Jobiska said:

I want to go to that fort, and those waterfalls, etc.!

Yeah if I were Croatia I'd be a bit peeved that it came out looking like a place for 20-somethings to get hammered. Unless that's exactly the clientele they are after.

I've decided I'm not a "yacht" type. I don't want to eat just what other people eat, give me a menu. I don't want to be at the mercy of a childish chef.  don't want to waste my time in a foreign country riding a jet ski, I want to sightsee. I don't want to have to wait for everyone to get up in order to have breakfast.  I don't want to have to stay at the dock if it gets nautical.  I've cruised big ships a lot, and I believe that's the trip for me.

8 minutes ago, Swim mom said:

I've decided I'm not a "yacht" type. I don't want to eat just what other people eat, give me a menu. I don't want to be at the mercy of a childish chef.  don't want to waste my time in a foreign country riding a jet ski, I want to sightsee. I don't want to have to wait for everyone to get up in order to have breakfast.  I don't want to have to stay at the dock if it gets nautical.  I've cruised big ships a lot, and I believe that's the trip for me.

Which is why, even if someone was paying for it, I'd say "got other things to do; laundry, grocery shopping!" I've only done quick dinner cruises; something within land that I can dive overboard and make it back! I don't like being at the mercy of a staff like that on a yacht or on a liner with all their bad press the last couple years being stranded for days out in the middle of nowhere; toilets backing up and putrid water supplies! PASS!! ;-(

@Swim mom I agree with you: I want to sight-see. Especially if I'm in a foreign country because who knows when I'd ever get back there? Also, I'm into history and architecture, and I enjoy just being out in natural settings. I wouldn't mind yachting if I could use the yacht as more of a floating and movable hotel. It would be nice to go back to my "room" at the end of the day and just have dinner either ready or being prepared for me. I wouldn't mind staying on the yacht for a day or two provided the yacht is going somewhere that will be of interest to me; if we're going to just sit in the water, that's a big no.

Edited to add: I think I would very much enjoy a European river cruise, though. It takes you places and you get to get off and sight-see. And if something goes wrong, we can disembark quickly, rather than putting up with half the ship being inhabited by norovirus-stricken tourists.

Edited by MrSmith
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, Swim mom said:

See, I think I am the yacht type. I figure I'd be chartering with people I love, not strangers. I wouldn't want to be at the mercy of a childish chef either. But unlike the guy with the onions (Kenny?) I would never put up with that attitude. I'd make my wishes clear on the preference sheet. We're pretty adventurous eaters, but there are some things I just don't care for.  It's not a long list, so if he/she gave me something I specifically asked them not to, I would bring it up with the captain immediately. Then she can explain to the crew why the primary is spending their tip either having food delivered or eating out.

I also wouldn't want to wait for everyone to get up for breakfast. So I wouldn't! I'd wake those sleepyheads up! I am super annoying on vacation - up at the crack of dawn, cheerful, hungry, and ready to go!

I agree about the sightseeing. I can ride a jet ski anywhere!

Edited by Hockeymom
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, MrSmith said:

@Swim mom I agree with you: I want to sight-see. Especially if I'm in a foreign country because who knows when I'd ever get back there? Also, I'm into history and architecture, and I enjoy just being out in natural settings. 

Check out Oceania Cruise Line, if you're over 50.

On 8/2/2017 at 9:10 AM, psychoticstate said:

Malia is THE. WORST.  The absolute worst.  Okay, you're going to go for the nice guy this time because he deserves it?  How does your fucking head even fit through those doorways, girl?  I would say you're the worst insult to women but . . . 

Wes was already accused of nepotism and then he goes and climbs into bed with Malia?  Sorry, Wes, but that proves beyond a doubt that you should not be in charge.  Bad enough that you might do it in a hotel but to do it on the damn boat, where everyone will know?  Yeah, you suck.  

Whatever happened to Adam's being over Malia?  Why isn't he over Malia?  Does she shoot rainbows and gold chips out of her hooha?  Seriously, I don't get it.  There have been other women onboard, including guests, who are more attractive than Malia and yet he's hung up on and quasi-stalking this hobbit?  I'm at a loss.  He should consider counseling.  Of course, she makes it worse by claiming she's done with him and five minutes later, she'd going into the galley to flirt and suggest they be friends (with a Croatian hotel room?)  Yeah, like I said.  She's the worst.

Hannah is a messy, sloppy drunk.  She should be embarrassed.  Actually, they all should be embarrassed by this shit show but that's another story.

I continue to like Max and Captain Sandy.

Bring on the reunion! 

Every episode this season has been a "FIGHT IT FIGHT IT" /ht Jerri Blank/ internal battle for me but I give up: I see HR nightmares. Ok I can't stand Malia. As a person. But Wes is so much worse. First, he's just a ding dong, if he thinks his previous ability to not date a subordinate is admirable. It's the MINIMUM for the job. "Well, I've always been really strict about not lighting my team members on fire. I've really believed I shouldn't mix business with pleasure."

Kadooz, Wes. You have made it impossible for me to talk the kind of smack I want to about Malia and Bobby because I have to be fair: Whatever craptastic stuff they pull is always going to be less egregious than the schmuck who's schtupping his subordinate and then promoting her. That makes you -- categorically -- The Worst.

It's not nepotism (right?) unless Wes and Malia are related. Which would be an AWESOME reveal at the reunion. "We're cousins!" 

Hannah is not as bad as Wes but she's got the same incredible lack of job boundaries as he does. All that middle school triangulating BS with the women who report to her just sucks and her drinking makes it way worse.  

• Love 7

Bravo clearly didn't send a memo on the dress code.  I can't tell if anyone is dressed appropriately with the girls (Hannah and Malia in particular) going for a trampier version of Real Housewives reunion and the guys going casual.  But the cumulative result is one of the more terrible wardrobe fails that I have seen.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 5

Wow, I don't think I would have recognized any of the women except Sandy and Lauren.  It took me a long time to realize that Hannah is the one at the end, what the hell happened to her?!  Bugs doesn't look bad at all but she doesn't look anything like what she looked like on the show.  Adam also looks different, it looks like his upper lip disappeared. 

Crazy. When does it air? 

7 hours ago, Lopethina said:

OMG!  Hannah's hair!  

Hannah's hair might not look so bad on the reunion because as shown on her IG it's actually a high messy ponytail, so this might just be a bad angle.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, heavysnaxx said:

It's not nepotism (right?) unless Wes and Malia are related. Which would be an AWESOME reveal at the reunion. "We're cousins!" 

That's true. It's not nepotism. Instead, it's cronyism.

14 hours ago, Nancypants said:

If Malia and Wes were Relatives, I think the word is Incest

Actually, incest only applies to close relatives. So, if they were distant enough cousins, it actually wouldn't be.

• Love 2

I'm not sure what message Malia is trying to send with that outfit.

• This is why all the boys want me!
  • See! I AM a pretty girl. It's not my fault I'm so hot!
  • If people are going to call me slutty I might as well have my cleavage and crotch showing!
  • Hey Adam and Wes, look what nether one of you is getting! 

In any case, she looks like she is trying waaaaay too hard. Hannah is trying hard too, but it doesn't feel as desperate to me.

Wes and Adam should've shaved. Max's pants are an interesting statement. Lauren's dress looks frumpy. I think it's the clashing color combination. It makes her look like she has no taste.

Capt Sandy looks amazing.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, heavysnaxx said:

Wes is so much worse. First, he's just a ding dong, if he thinks his previous ability to not date a subordinate is admirable. It's the MINIMUM for the job. "Well, I've always been really strict about not lighting my team members on fire. I've really believed I shouldn't mix business with pleasure."

*dead*  Thank you for this.

16 hours ago, snarts said:

Why does Malia look so different at the reunion?  and why can I see her cootchie?

1.Too much spray tan. 2. Malia is showing off her "lead deckhand".

• Love 5
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Hannah's hair might not look so bad on the reunion because as shown on her IG it's actually a high messy ponytail, so this might just be a bad angle.

Oh, thank goodness.  I thought she'd pulled a Katy Perry.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

I'm not sure what message Malia is trying to send with that outfit.

• This is why all the boys want me!
  • See! I AM a pretty girl. It's not my fault I'm so hot!
  • If people are going to call me slutty I might as well have my cleavage and crotch showing!
  • Hey Adam and Wes, look what nether one of you is getting! 

In any case, she looks like she is trying waaaaay too hard. Hannah is trying hard too, but it doesn't feel as desperate to me.

Wes and Adam should've shaved. Max's pants are an interesting statement. Lauren's dress looks frumpy. I think it's the clashing color combination. It makes her look like she has no taste.

Capt Sandy looks amazing.

Of all the women, Sandy really does look the best, but I don't think Lauren looks so bad. The hair and dress colors have a bit of a retro vibe, the dress fits her well, and she doesn't look like she's trying to prove anything. For that alone, I give her points.

Malia's dress is too much for a million reasons and it's like she thought she was going somewhere that wasn't the WWHL studio and that she was actually part of the Real Housewives reunion level of "glam".

Other than Bugsy's awkward posing in that group shot, her dress is a pretty color and is fine. 

I don't feel likeHannah is trying too hard, as I've seen other photos and this goes along with her style. I liked the jewelry she was wearing, find the makeup and hair to be too harsh for her and I'd like the dress if it was a couple inches longer. 

Adam looks decent, scruffy and like he's been smoking up in that van down by the river since the finale. 

Bobby just always looks like he's waiting to be punched in the throat. Or is that just me? ;)

The combination of those pants, that vest, and the big collar on Max, I can't decide if it's oddly charming or just bad. 

Wes remains bland, which I think might be his preferred state, despite his action on board this season. 

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 4

yeah! The pic looks terrible as they are not rock star divas. I think they should have be in their uniforms. It would have looked much better. The heavy makeup is just yuck. The women resemble a gaze of raccoons. None of them are attractive. Laurens muumuu dress makes her look huge.

I looked at Hannah's instagram,  and this photo just has really horrible lighting. She looks good in the instagram shots.