Type keyword(s) to search

The Lowe Files - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I enjoyed this very much. The fact that they are family lends this a really comfortable, genuine feeling, like Ghost Brothers. They're all very likeable, and I loved how the one son asked the question many of us who watch paranormal shows may have thought: How do you know it's not just programmed to spit out random words at random intervals? Nothing much must happen in that town for there to be a news crew sent to a donut shop they had left hours and hours earlier. That was hilarious.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ananayel said:

I enjoyed this very much. The fact that they are family lends this a really comfortable, genuine feeling, like Ghost Brothers. They're all very likeable, and I loved how the one son asked the question many of us who watch paranormal shows may have thought: How do you know it's not just programmed to spit out random words at random intervals? Nothing much must happen in that town for there to be a news crew sent to a donut shop they had left hours and hours earlier. That was hilarious.

I liked this a lot, too.  Though Rob Lowe is so handsome and charming, I'd watch him do just about anything.  I also liked that John Owen was the skeptic of the bunch; I think he was *really* freaked out when they seemed to get intelligent responses via the lights.  The donut thing was indeed hilarious--I found it most funny that the news report made such a big deal over "Which delicious variety did Rob Lowe choose??" all the while showing a fully-stocked display case, when in reality, the selection was pretty poor at the time he was actually there.  Talk about your fake news ;)

• Love 3

Rob Lowe is so damn charming . I've always been impressed with the fact that he's so totally into his sons.  If nothing else watching them interact with one another is pleasant so if they never find any ghosts or other paranormal activity, I'm content to just watch 3 good looking guys having fun.

• Love 6

I'd been looking forward to this show when Rob first announced it on Twitter.  I knew it would be well done, and I wasn't disappointed.  Like others have said, I would be happy watching the 3 Lowe men just traveling around the country seeing the sights and having fun with each other.  Rob is such a wonderful father and his sons are his everything.  With Matthew now in law school and Johnny making his own way in college, times like these will soon be few and far between.

That said, this show was spooky!  I don't watch paranormal shows because they creep me out, and this was no exception.  But watching these animated and personable guys made it much easier.  I love how Johnny, especially, is always so quick to make fun of his dad and Rob takes it so well.

So I'll be watching again and again and hoping that when this has run it's course, they find something else to do so we can all get a glimpse into the lovely, loving relationship that is Rob Lowe & Sons.

• Love 3

I am enjoying this show too.  Loved how, in episode 1, we learn that the selection of donuts was depleted because it was 2 pm.  Very funny.  Fell asleep during episode 2 and damn it I love the topic.  Underwater bases?  I am all in.

• Love 2

I thought after I posted that maybe the premier was also only 30 minutes and I didn't notice, but it seemed an hour to me, lol. Anyway, I checked next week's description and it is also only 30 minutes. Hmm. Maybe only the first episode was an hour and the rest will be 30 minutes. Strange.

The next episode is also just 30 minutes. That is too short for a paranormal show in my opinion.

Also, holy batman, that was a lot of vomit, heh.

I wanted to learn more about that underwater cavern. What we saw was just a tease. They need to go down there in a submarine, heh.

• Love 2

While I was disappointed that the 2nd episode was only a half an hour long, I liked the episode. Watching Rob start to feel queasy on the boat was funny, especially his bleeped out cursing right before he hurled over the side. 

• Love 2

I actually forgot this was on the other night, but I've seen reruns on History, and another set of reruns coming up on some channel you wouldn't think of. Knowing it's only half an hour, I am thinking of it like it's a fun father/son road trip travel show, not a paranormal show. I think it works better that way. Also, there is the old show biz saying, "always leave them wanting more!"

• Love 3

Okay, whichever Lowe child it was who couldn't contain his laughter when Moneymaker did his "call" has become my favorite person. I mean, everyone knows Bobo is the "expert field caller." Sheesh. I remain convinced that any knocks or whoops or other strange noises in the night on these hunts (that aren't clearly owls or coyotes) are other bigfoot hunters, and they're just whooping and knocking at each other.

• Love 3

I'm enjoying this much more than I thought I would.  I haven't seen tonight's episode yet, but last week's, when Rob mentioned growing up in Malibu and hearing rumors about subs going under LA, and OMG I remember hearing those rumors too, growing up in San Diego around the same time.  So that was a fun episode for me.  And then when Rob was posing on the boat, my son mentioned it, only to have one of Rob's sons tell him to stop posing because they had a lot of stuff to do...LOL  This is exactly the kind of thing I would have loved to have done with my kids when they were growing up if we had had the money.  We actually did, just on a much more local level, going to all the haunted places we could find.

• Love 2

I love the  chemistry and humor with just the right amount of snark.  The posing line did crack me up.  And Shaman John scaring them in the first ep, rolling the ball down the stairs LMAO!  Too dam funny. This show has all the right elements.  Please make more eps. Does Rob have any new shows happening that he will just have to quit to shoot this one :)  kidding, really, not really :)

• Love 5

I think he said in his AMA that they shot this when the boys could get weekends away from school or other commitments, it wasn't a continuous shoot. So with John Owen at Stanford, and Matt headed to law school, it may be a while. It's a fun thing for them to do and for me to watch, so if they can continue to make more episodes when time permits, I'll still watch.

Still laughing about how Rob somehow never has his wallet on him....

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Tammee said:

I love the  chemistry and humor with just the right amount of snark.  The posing line did crack me up.  And Shaman John scaring them in the first ep, rolling the ball down the stairs LMAO!  Too dam funny. This show has all the right elements.  Please make more eps. Does Rob have any new shows happening that he will just have to quit to shoot this one :)  kidding, really, not really :)

Besides The Lowe Files, Rob's starting his second season, this year, as a cast member on CBS' Code Black. He plays Dr. Ethan Willis, a former combat surgeon, in that show.

• Love 1

Love the show too, mostly because of the 3 Lowe boys.  Lots of love between them.  It's heartwarming.  And what a great choice of song for the show's theme.  Fits perfectly.  This song has a sunny road trip vibe, for me anyway.  

• Love 3
19 hours ago, sisterspoon said:

Love the show too, mostly because of the 3 Lowe boys.  Lots of love between them.  It's heartwarming.  And what a great choice of song for the show's theme.  Fits perfectly.  This song has a sunny road trip vibe, for me anyway.  

I will never forget the best miniseries ever by Stephen King, The Stand. It starts with that rockin BOC song while it cuts to a small town where a virus got out and killed everyone....dont fear the reaper, youll be able to fly, dont fear the reaper..la la la

• Love 3

The song reminds me of Supernatural and makes me think of Sam and Dean on the road hunting supernatural beings.

I'm disappointed this show only has four episodes in the works. So next week is the finale?

• Love 1
On 8/19/2017 at 10:19 PM, jewel21 said:

The song reminds me of Supernatural and makes me think of Sam and Dean on the road hunting supernatural beings.

I'm disappointed this show only has four episodes in the works. So next week is the finale?

Right!  I love the soundtrack of that show.  In fact dont they have 1 cd out of the music from show. Old, from way back like 3rd or 4th season. Great music though!

On August 19, 2017 at 7:13 PM, Tammee said:

I will never forget the best miniseries ever by Stephen King, The Stand. It starts with that rockin BOC song while it cuts to a small town where a virus got out and killed everyone....dont fear the reaper, youll be able to fly, dont fear the reaper..la la la

Fun fact: Rob Lowe was in that miniseries. He played Nick Andros.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Lovecat said:

Thats right!  I totally forgot that tie in!  He was a pivotal character and I remember seeing him interviewed about that role, saying it was one of the hardest roles of his career because he never spoke a line, he played someone who was deaf mute and had to portray everything by his facial movements.  Good Call Lovecat!  Do you remember Rob in 'Salems Lot?  He rocked that role too.  One degree of separation of Stephen King heehee

On 8/16/2017 at 9:58 PM, Ananayel said:

Okay, whichever Lowe child it was who couldn't contain his laughter when Moneymaker did his "call" has become my favorite person. 

That would be Johnny, who Rob has always likened to Ferris Bueller.

• Love 3

The lady who was struck by lightening 11 times was ... odd. Although I guess lightening strikes will do that to a person. Also, her telling Rob to put that mineral on his 'root' still cracks me up.

• Love 4
On 8/24/2017 at 7:58 AM, Lovecat said:

That's right!  I'd forgotten that.  It was the best done work of Stephen King on television, for sure.  His version of The Shine that ABC was stellar as well, much better than the abomination Kubrick made (King reportedly hates that version, as do I).  I thought they also did an excellent job with It.  But the Stand was the most well done. IMH

Now on to this show.  When I saw the first ad I thought poor Lowe's career must be in the dumpster.  But, I had to watch.  And what a delight this show is!  It's sweet and goofy and just tons of fun!  Rob Lowe is a genius to have thought of a way to take fun trips with his kids and have A&E pay for them.

I love that you can see the affection they have for each other in every scene.  I love that it showcases Lowe's goofy sense of humor (something I think we didn't get to see a lot of before Parks and Recreation and the much lamented The Grinder).  I love that he never carries money so he looks like a mooch.  

It's a delightful confection and I hope it never goes away.

Is there a season 2 in the works?

• Love 3

Last night's episode (Area 51 thingy) was my favorite.  I put myself in the truck and on the dune buggy with them and could feel the excitement and adrenaline and wished so much I would be there with them!

I loved it when the car pulled up beside them and Rob immediately blurted out, "We were looking at the stars!"  Yeah, right by the fence.  Oh, Rob, you're so smooth.

Doughnut me!!

• Love 5

I love this show!! Rob is so charming and his kids are awesome! The apples don't fall far from the tree! I like that they always have to stop and eat before they start any "hunt". It's great that Rob pokes fun at himself and so do the boys, but not in a mean way. 

This last episode where Rob said he was going to try to talk his way onto the restricted military base and one of his sons says "you're not as smooth as you think you are!" Lol! 

I hope they continue this show...it's entertaining and to see the real love, respect and fun the three of them have for each other is refreshing to see on a "reality" show.

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I love this show!! Rob is so charming and his kids are awesome! The apples don't fall far from the tree! I like that they always have to stop and eat before they start any "hunt". It's great that Rob pokes fun at himself and so do the boys, but not in a mean way. 

This last episode where Rob said he was going to try to talk his way onto the restricted military base and one of his sons says "you're not as smooth as you think you are!" Lol! 

I hope they continue this show...it's entertaining and to see the real love, respect and fun the three of them have for each other is refreshing to see on a "reality" show.

I loved how he equated talking his way onto the football field at the Super Bowl with talking his way onto a top secret military base.  Yeah, Rob.  They're totally the same.  

I love this show.  I look forward to each one and watch them several times.  This is good reality tv.

I loved it when Rob and John Owen were at the prison and Rob was being lowered into the ground for his solitary time in Solitary.  John Owen said, "Don't fear the Reaper, bro".  It was just delightful.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, smorbie said:

I loved how he equated talking his way onto the football field at the Super Bowl with talking his way onto a top secret military base.  Yeah, Rob.  They're totally the same.  

I love this show.  I look forward to each one and watch them several times.  This is good reality tv.

I loved it when Rob and John Owen were at the prison and Rob was being lowered into the ground for his solitary time in Solitary.  John Owen said, "Don't fear the Reaper, bro".  It was just delightful.

If you meant the comment about Rob talking his way onto the field at the Super Bowl as a dig at him, or something negative towards him, I have to say I'm not sure Rob wasn't actually invited onto wherever he was on the field. At least if you're talking about when Peyton Manning played in & won his last Super Bowl with the Denver Broncos. If you weren't aware, Rob is actually friends with a lot of current & former NFL players, including Peyton Manning going back to when Peyton was an Indianapolis Colt, as well as at least the owner of the Colts, Bob Irsay, if not other team owners/management; also, former NFL player Marcus Allen is a close enough friend of Rob & his family that he's actually the Godfather to 1 of Rob's sons--I think it's the youngest son, JohnOwen (aka Johnny).

1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

If you meant the comment about Rob talking his way onto the field at the Super Bowl as a dig at him, or something negative towards him, I have to say I'm not sure Rob wasn't actually invited onto wherever he was on the field. At least if you're talking about when Peyton Manning played in & won his last Super Bowl with the Denver Broncos. If you weren't aware, Rob is actually friends with a lot of current & former NFL players, including Peyton Manning going back to when Peyton was an Indianapolis Colt, as well as at least the owner of the Colts, Bob Irsay, if not other team owners/management; also, former NFL player Marcus Allen is a close enough friend of Rob & his family that he's actually the Godfather to 1 of Rob's sons--I think it's the youngest son, JohnOwen (aka Johnny).

I don't think anyone was taking a shot at Rob; they were just pointing out that talking one's way onto the field at the Super Bowl (particularly since he knows so many present and former players) is not comparable to talking one's way onto a top secret military base surrounded with signs saying trespassers will be shot.  The degree of difficulty/risk to life and limb is not the same.  I think Rob was probably joking when he compared the two things.

• Love 3
On 9/11/2017 at 1:58 PM, BW Manilowe said:

totes meant no disrespect.  I just thought it was funny that he equated the two.  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I watched the most recent eppy where they're were like remote viewing stuff or reading minds... I don't know, it was weird but still an interesting episode. Anyone else catch it?

I saw it and thought it was great!  One of the things about remote viewing is that it purportedly really does work, as seen in this ep.  I've heard people say they've taken courses in it, and it's not hard to learn.

Edited by smorbie
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, smorbie said:

I saw it and thought it was great!  One of the things about remote viewing is that it purportedly really does work, as seen in this ep.  I've heard people say they've taken courses in it, and it's not hard to learn.

I agree, this was the most interesting episode in the series to me because it was based on something that's actually got some scientific underpinnings and it's also the first time in the series that they've come close to 'proving' the mystery they were investigating.  I've really enjoyed this series in general though, mainly due to the genial vibes of the Lowe boys.

• Love 5

I loved this last episode.  The Outsiders stuff gave me all the feels, as the kids say (I think? LOL).  That movie and Fast Times defined my teen years.  Poor Sheryl...what she has to put up with with those three...LOL  That woman must have the patience of a saint.  The Wood Ape stuff was good, although I liked the remote viewing episode last week better from a pure phenomena standpoint.  Was this the last episode of the season?  I've really enjoyed it and I hope they continue it, it's been so much fun.  

Oh, and I'm kind of ashamed to say I only just noticed my picture in the opening of the show...LOL

• Love 2

I enjoyed this very much. I hope it isn't the last episode. Also, I feel so sorry for Rob Lowe's wife having to put up with his antics, hee. That whole scene where they're talking about ticks, medical experts and ticks falling from the trees just cracked me up.

• Love 1