Type keyword(s) to search

Trading Spaces Reboot Anticipation

I used to really like the show, then it jumped the shark.  The main issue with me is that I didn't care for most of the designers.  I liked Paige the host and designers Vern and Laurie.  Some of them annoyed me greatly by creating a big hot mess and calling it a great design.  Sorry, but, I don't like actual twigs from my yard serving as decor.  And, crazy off the wall designs that cause me to redo it when you leave......don't insult me.  

Plus, this show will likely continue with the old standard in renovation shows were the designers have a ridiculous, self imposed deadline that they can't possibly meet, so, chaos ensures.  I don't get why the designers don't just take the time that's needed instead of doing a rushed, sorry job.  So unnecessary.  I wish I was excited to see this. 

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:39 AM, auntjess said:

Mike Holmes talked his son into this when they were doing the son's house.
Who want't them there?  Someone who doesn't do the cooking.  And not only do you have to squat to cook, if there are children, or possibly pets, it can be dangerous.

Yep, and his son was so against it.  Especially because it would put the microwave at the same height as his family jewels, and he was concerned.

• Love 1
On 3/15/2018 at 5:48 PM, auntjess said:

Repeats of old Trading Spaces show on the TLC schedule tomorrow, Friday,3/16, from 7pm, with same episodes repeating into the next early AM.

Sweet fancy Moses! I knew I missed this show, but watching these reruns is making me absolutely giddy!

• Love 7

I’m beyond excited to see this new season. I don’t know why though. 99% of the designs were tacky or just outrageous. I get that they only had 1k and a weekend, but the rooms usually looked worse than when they started. These are real designers on the show, why can’t they stretch the dollars to make it at least semi Pinterest worthy? Use estate pieces, clearance finds, even paint can be found on a budget. I’m a Lowe’s/Home Depot/Target addict and have gotten some GREAT deals with decorating items. FB marketplace, Offer Up, etc are a good source as well. If 2k ends up being the budget this time around, they could really stretch that, and use their skills to make a nice room. All that being said, I can’t wait for April 7th. 

On 1/16/2018 at 4:43 PM, Maharincess said:

I don't understand the new trend of putting the microwave under the bottom cabinets. I've seen it in so many different design shows and I hate it. Who wants to have to bend over or squat down to use the microwave? 

Let me please give you my perspective on this. I’m very short. It can be a tip toe reach for me to get something into a microwave. Things slide and spill and the heavier it is, the harder it is for me to lift that weight well over my head and into a box (I can’t reach into even when there’s nothing in my hands). Now when things are hot I run the risk of spillage which results in burns. I have had a whole bowl of something slip off the plate underneath it and yikes what a mess (and some pain from the burn). Yes I have a small step stool but I have one word for it...awkward. 

My daughter installed hers under their counters. It’s easy for the kids. Little risk of burning. I love it. Yes, I sometimes have to bend over but it’s better than tip toes or grabbing a stool. I’m in the minority but that’s why. YMMV

P.S. I tried those previously posted links (Brown room and the fireplace) and couldn’t pull them up. 

• Love 1

Mindthinkr, where on earth is your microwave? Ours is on the counter, I'm 4'11" and I can reach then entire inside of the microwave without difficulty. I wouldn't want it mounted under the upper cabinets, that would be difficult. I frequently have a plate to slide things out of the microwave and onto. I broke my wrist several years ago, it's recovered, except it will never be as strong again and carrying a hot bowl or plate is sometimes a scary job. I'm also older and not exactly steady with everything.

But I'm installing Vue next week in anticipation of seeing this show again. I've looked all over Sling's offerings and do not see TLC, so Vue it is.

• Love 1

@friendperidot My microwave is mounted over my kitchen stove. I’m actually shorter than you and it’s a hard reach. I do use the step stool (ha, it was my daughter’s but she gratefully grew taller and never took it with her when as an adult she moved out). If I ever redo the kitchen under the counter it goes. I saw one that was like a drawer that looked neat. It also wouldn’t require much bending if any at all. 

I’m not familiar  with your viewing options. I have TLC and just have to make sure that I remember when to catch these new episodes. How nostalgic that most of the cast have returned. 

• Love 1

I was really looking forward to this reboot, but I’m watching some old shows tonight, and they haven’t aged well. There’s a lot of joking around, giggling, and Paige comes across as a silly airhead. (I used to love her.) I hope they update more than the design styles, because the stars will look foolish, since they’re so much older, if they don’t. 

• Love 2

Old ones with new date, with Retro put in the title, at least according to the U-verse.
I deleted almost all of them, because they haven't aged well.
This was a new thing back then, but now, there are so many makeover shows, and I've quit almost all of them too.
I may look at the new ones, but I think I've outgrown them.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, auntjess said:

Old ones with new date, with Retro put in the title, at least according to the U-verse.
I deleted almost all of them, because they haven't aged well.
This was a new thing back then, but now, there are so many makeover shows, and I've quit almost all of them too.
I may look at the new ones, but I think I've outgrown them.

Me too, and with a $2000 budget, you can be sure everything will look cheap. Design concept on one of the retro shows last night:  black fringe around the bottom of the sofa. That’s not going to fly after we’ve seen all the upscale shows, Property Bros., Flip or Flop, etc. 

• Love 2

The old shows I've seen, had the room already picked out.  By the time I started watching the show, I was thinking that the designer chose the room, from one of several.  (Although I may be getting this mixed up with something else.)
I would love to see (I think), Buy Me reruns.  I loved the Man in Black.

The earlier episodes are very low key.  The homeowners were regular people trying to get an updated room, there wasn't much mugging, no real gimmicks, the rooms were already picked and the designers (generally) went in with a plan to try and give the homeowner what they wanted.  I didn't watch very many of those originally so it's kind of jarring seeing them in reruns.  In the later seasons, things were amped up with gimmicks like pick from one of 3 rooms, one with a Budget Bonus, kooky neighbors, the carpenters and designers being more "on" and increasingly gimmicky gimmicks like Blind Dates!

• Love 1

I loved the on-screen description of one of the upcoming old ones.
"Laurie uses the intense colors of Henri Matisse in a new way, for a basement playroom."  Or something very close to that.
I cracked up.  

• Love 2
On 3/21/2018 at 12:38 AM, friendperidot said:

But I'm installing Vue next week in anticipation of seeing this show again. I've looked all over Sling's offerings and do not see TLC, so Vue it is.

I've had Vue since it launched nationally and like it but if you are only in it for TLC, you might want to try Philo instead. It's $16 a month.  (No sports, no news channels though.) 

https://help.philo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115013842447-Channel-Packages 

• Love 1

tessaray, thanks, I discovered Philo yesterday morning, did a search for what services had TLC and found it, Looked it over, signed up for the 7 day trial, it meets a lot of my channel needs, DIY, ID, Animal Planet, Travel, Discovery are all there and quite a few others for $16/month. I don't watch sports except for Olympics, so I don't need sports channels. I spent the day exploring and binge watching, intend to do the same for a few days, but I think I'll keep this one for a while. Vue has more channels and maybe someday, but right now, this works well. Can't wait for Trading Spaces, but in the meantime Say Yes To The Dress is back in my life! And new true crime! I'm kind of in hog heaven.

• Love 4
On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:45 PM, auntjess said:

This was a new thing back then, but now, there are so many makeover shows,

And the makeover shows (property brothers, etc.) take the homeowners needs and their style into consideration, and the final rooms are often gorgeous.  It's not just how wacky Hildi or Doug can be or how they can destroy a homeowner's furniture or walls.  If they (Trading Spaces) go back to those wacky concepts that killed the show, I'm out before it's even begun.

• Love 6

I think the $2k budget might be okay and not look cheap if homeowners have nicer things then they often did in the old show.  While I didn’t like some/many of the after rooms, I didn’t like the before either as they were usually so unstyled.  It seems like these days more people are into decorating their homes and not just living in them so the homeowners might have more decent things (like okay furniture that can be painted, etc.) As well, design has moved on to really focus on a “done up” home rather than sort of lived in, so the rooms won’t seem over decorated the way they sometimes did on the old show.  Lot’s of different design aesthetics are in style right now so that gives some flexibility and the rooms won’t be all white and grey.

In the commercials, the rooms shown look decent. 

ETA I always thought the time constraint was the biggest issue as it caused a lot of the poor quality.  Especially for painting, paint takes the time it does to dry, more hands and help behind the scenes cannot always make up for that.  It would be interesting to play the show like a long weekend, Sat, Sun, Mon.

Edited by fountain
  • Love 1
On January 6, 2018 at 8:35 PM, Maverick said:

I remember a Doug/Hildi episode where one of them did the entire room in white and the other did the entire room in black.

Ok, I have always heard of this show but never watched it because back in the day I did not have TLC (of course I now have TLC). I was killing time on the treadmill at the gym yesterday and watched this episode referenced by @Maverick and wow, I  wanted to cry for the homeowners of the white living room, who were crying. Maybe I am in a weird mood, but I thought what Doug had the other guys do to that living room was unconscionable. Is Doug always this mean? At least he covered the floor but he had them paint the window trim, which had just been stripped, the lovely fireplace and fireplace tiles, every freaking thing! I honestly wasn't that crazy about the black room either, but I would have killed everyone involved in that white room fiasco. I don't know if I will give this show a chance. Do any of the designers actually try to design something classy and something fitting for the homeowners? 

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Do any of the designers actually try to design something classy and something fitting for the homeowners? 

Yes, some of them do.  Vern always gave it his best effort, with the results usually head and shoulders above most of the others.  Sometimes Doug gave it a good effort, and other times he was just an asshat who just wanted to stir up shit. 

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Ok, I have always heard of this show but never watched it because back in the day I did not have TLC (of course I now have TLC). I was killing time on the treadmill at the gym yesterday and watched this episode referenced by @Maverick and wow, I  wanted to cry for the homeowners of the white living room, who were crying. Maybe I am in a weird mood, but I thought what Doug had the other guys do to that living room was unconscionable. Is Doug always this mean? At least he covered the floor but he had them paint the window trim, which had just been stripped, the lovely fireplace and fireplace tiles, every freaking thing! I honestly wasn't that crazy about the black room either, but I would have killed everyone involved in that white room fiasco. I don't know if I will give this show a chance. Do any of the designers actually try to design something classy and something fitting for the homeowners? 

This one isn't on Doug and HIlde, but on the producers.  They wanted this (and other) gimmick episodes.  

• Love 2

Well, I'll give it my "two episodes trial" but if the reboot produces this kind of crap, I'll move on. I have too many other shows on my DVR that I need to plow through. It's tough trying to watch everything I record now that baseball is back.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Is Doug always this mean?

Frequently.  You could tell when he disliked the homeowners, and would do things like PAINT antique family pieces, that had been put away and clearly labelled "off limits."
I wished he personally could have been sued.  I grew to hate him after seeing some of his spite work.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, auntjess said:

Frequently.  You could tell when he disliked the homeowners, and would do things like PAINT antique family pieces, that had been put away and clearly labelled "off limits."
I wished he personally could have been sued.  I grew to hate him after seeing some of his spite work.

Thanks for alerting me to this. I will skip his episodes. There are already enough assholes who give me angst.

• Love 1

There is a marathon on Friday up to the premiere and some of the episodes included are Brown Jessie and Crying Pam, for those that are wondering. The reboot premiere is a Doug/Hildi episode, and the carpenters are Carter and Ty. I don't remember there ever being two carpenters before, did that start in the later seasons once they started with all the gimmicks?

There is also a two hour show before the premiere that looks back at all the memorable designs. What I want is an episode where the designers have to defend their work - I'm looking at you, Doug and Hildi. Or an episode where the homeowners show what they did to fix the "redone" rooms.

• Love 3

I thought the ones I saw always had a carpenter for each designer, and I was surprised to see just one.

1 minute ago, LexieLily said:

What I want is an episode where the designers have to defend their work - I'm looking at you, Doug and Hildi. Or an episode where the homeowners show what they did to fix the "redone" rooms.

If the homeowners hate what's done, let them have a shot at their designer's home.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

There is a marathon on Friday up to the premiere and some of the episodes included are Brown Jessie and Crying Pam, for those that are wondering. The reboot premiere is a Doug/Hildi episode, and the carpenters are Carter and Ty. I don't remember there ever being two carpenters before, did that start in the later seasons once they started with all the gimmicks?

I certainly remember Crying Pam, but I don't have a clue about the Brown Jessie episode, so I'll try to catch that one.  I don't know when I quit watching, but I only ever remember one carpenter; two makes a lot more sense, so if they're actually reducing manufactured drama this time around, I'll be happy - stunned, but happy.

4 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

There is also a two hour show before the premiere that looks back at all the memorable designs. What I want is an episode where the designers have to defend their work - I'm looking at you, Doug and Hildi. Or an episode where the homeowners show what they did to fix the "redone" rooms.

I would love that - a "What Does It Look Like Now?" segment on some of the most notorious rooms.  Some of the homeowners have undoubtedly moved out, and many who remain to show today's look/explain the process wouldn't have taken video of the process of fixing the mess the designers left them with, but it would still be feasible.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I certainly remember Crying Pam, but I don't have a clue about the Brown Jessie episode, so I'll try to catch that one.  I don't know when I quit watching, but I only ever remember one carpenter; two makes a lot more sense, so if they're actually reducing manufactured drama this time around, I'll be happy - stunned, but happy.

I would love that - a "What Does It Look Like Now?" segment on some of the most notorious rooms.  Some of the homeowners have undoubtedly moved out, and many who remain to show today's look/explain the process wouldn't have taken video of the process of fixing the mess the designers left them with, but it would still be feasible.

Brown Jessie was from a Laurie episode, oddly enough. The homeowner specifically did not want brown in her room because she hated the color brown for whatever reason, and Laurie painted the room brown. But it had orange accents and other colors. (Why do I remember things like this in detail and not important things?). The homeowner had a screaming meltdown when she saw her room and football-rushed/tackled her friend when they came in at the end).

I only ever remember one carpenter as well. Did we ever see Amy Wynn in the promo? Is she back?

Re: Brown Jessie and Crying Pam. What were the other notorious "I hate this room" reactions? I'm sure there are some we are forgetting besides the infamous ones. I want to hear from Hildi's homeowners that had to help their friends steam off all those wine labels out of their kitchen.

Having two carpenters was introduced around the time Paige left.  I think it was partially to compensate for the fact the designers and carpenter now had to be the defacto hosts of the show.

Amy Wynn is not back., nor is Faber.

The Brown Jessie room wasn't bad, but the homeowner hated brown and stated she wanted anything but.   Laurie had a brown room plan and hell or high water she was going to do it.  Laurie wasn't spiteful like Doug or 'wacky attention seeker' like Hildi, but I don't recall her being one known for taking the homeowner into account.  She came in with a pre-conceived design (invariably based on a piece of fabric she just loved).   Her designs were generally tasteful if unmemorable so while they may not have been exactly what the homeowners wanted they were at least presentable and livable and didn't provoke the extreme reactions.  

55 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Having two carpenters was introduced around the time Paige left.  I think it was partially to compensate for the fact the designers and carpenter now had to be the defacto hosts of the show.

Amy Wynn is not back., nor is Faber.

Faber must have been during the later years because I do not remember him at all. No Amy Wynn makes me sad. I shipped her and Doug together back in the day. Don't make fun of me! ;)

21 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

No Amy Wynn makes me sad. I shipped her and Doug together back in the day. Don't make fun of me! ;)

I would NEVER make fun of you for that!

I'm sad Amy Wynn won't be back too. My favorite Amy Wynn moment was when she had her arm wrapped around a 2x4 and shot a nail in the wood with a nail gun. Then looked at the camera man and said "We gotta cut." The camera man asked why and she calmly said "I just nailed my arm." I mean, what a trooper! And so cute, smart, and personable!

• Love 1
(edited)

I had a feeling she wasn't part of the show when the girl from America's Next Top Model (Joanie, I think) showed up in the lineup as a carpenter for the reboot, but I'm still bummed. 

All in all, though, Trading Spaces did exceptionally well in getting almost all of the original designers and carpenters back. I wasn't sure Ty would agree to it. I'm not sure what it says for all of their current careers or lack thereof, but I'm happy to see all of them back. Even Hildi. 

Edited by LexieLily

A budget of $2000 is not much so I expect to see a very different show in some respects.  They would have to choose homeowners who had good basic pieces in their rooms.  Tossing a piece of fabric over a couch is not going to cut it today.  

I wonder if Frank is still stuck on his corny, country kitch.  That was never in style.  Plenty of people loved it back then but it was never considered good design.  Faux painting is a horror of the past, as well.  

Everyone else had an esthetic that has probably grown with time to remain current.  Doug and Hilde cannot get away with their nonsense today.   I have always thought they were capable of being serious but production didn’t want that. 

I don’t like Ty and never watched his show because of this.  

Wallpaper borders have always been tacky, looking at you Kia.  Jesus, where did they find her?   Didn’t like Faber either so glad to see neither are returning.

i am looking forward to this, big time!  

I just put this on my DVR so I missed the old reruns.  Crying Pam was ridiculous and her cover story that her grandmothers death made her sensitive is BS.   The hay wall women were good sports and I read the crew stayed and helped to take the straw off.  Those are the two I remember clearly. 

My friends and I agreed that Vern was the only one we would allow to touch our house. 

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:56 AM, Nordly Beaumont said:

I would NEVER make fun of you for that!

I'm sad Amy Wynn won't be back too. My favorite Amy Wynn moment was when she had her arm wrapped around a 2x4 and shot a nail in the wood with a nail gun. Then looked at the camera man and said "We gotta cut." The camera man asked why and she calmly said "I just nailed my arm." I mean, what a trooper! And so cute, smart, and personable!

I don't even know WHY I shipped them together. LOL.

Not sure about watching this again.  They made such messes, it wasn't even entertaining.  Don't get me started on Hildi.  These people are professional decorators, after all.  I wonder how their careers went after the first series.

On 3/31/2018 at 10:46 AM, Spunkygal said:

I  wanted to cry for the homeowners of the white living room, who were crying. Maybe I am in a weird mood, but I thought what Doug had the other guys do to that living room was unconscionable. Is Doug always this mean? At least he covered the floor but he had them paint the window trim, which had just been stripped, the lovely fireplace and fireplace tiles, every freaking thing! I honestly wasn't that crazy about the black room either, but I would have killed everyone involved in that white room fiasco.

I had never seen this episode (think I'd given up on TS by that point), but just watched it now, and OMG, how awful for the HOs.  What's infuriating is that both rooms were done with zero consideration for the HOs or their aesthetics, but solely as a gimmick for the amusement of Doug and Hildi.  I got claustrophobic looking at the black room, so I'm glad at least those HOs seemed ok with it, but the white room--fuck, just get a paint sprayer in there and blast the room for all the design that went on.  And destroy a room that had wonderful period architecture.  Poor HOs.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I had never seen this episode (think I'd given up on TS by that point), but just watched it now, and OMG, how awful for the HOs.  What's infuriating is that both rooms were done with zero consideration for the HOs or their aesthetics, but solely as a gimmick for the amusement of Doug and Hildi.  I got claustrophobic looking at the black room, so I'm glad at least those HOs seemed ok with it, but the white room--fuck, just get a paint sprayer in there and blast the room for all the design that went on.  And destroy a room that had wonderful period architecture.  Poor HOs.

Your last sentence hit the nail on the head. Doug had no respect for period architecture. I wonder why the HOs went on the show.

• Love 1
On 3/31/2018 at 12:46 PM, Spunkygal said:

I  wanted to cry for the homeowners of the white living room, who were crying. Maybe I am in a weird mood, but I thought what Doug had the other guys do to that living room was unconscionable. Is Doug always this mean? At least he covered the floor but he had them paint the window trim, which had just been stripped, the lovely fireplace and fireplace tiles, every freaking thing! 

I was reading to see if anyone remembered the white room.  I didn't have a house then, but I felt for those guys. As a homeowner now, and knowing how these shows often treat the owner's property, there's no way I'd sign up. I watched a few of the classics. I always enjoyed Vern and I caught a glimpse of the older gentleman (not Frank), who was also a decent designer and considerate of the owner. I didn't catch his name, though. Does anyone remember? Also, wasn't it TS where the designer wanted to paint an upholstered chair? I forget if it didn't work, or for some reason it got rained on, I dunno. I just remember thinking it was awful for the homeowner.

I actually met Ty on the airport train, I think in Dallas. Several of us noticed him at the same time and said 'hi,' etc., he was a good sport, but he looked tired.

Someone made a good point about the newer decorating shows and what people expect these days. I don't know if I'll watch TS if the designers are going to be cruel (Doug) or just stupid (Kia with her camo wall border for a military family). 

16 minutes ago, aliya said:

I didn't catch his name, though.

Edward?
And wasn't it Kia who painted fabric?  I remember her dyeing a lampshade with paint.
Vern was gone by the time I started watching.  I remember Kristie(?) who liked rustic.

6 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Edward?
And wasn't it Kia who painted fabric?  I remember her dyeing a lampshade with paint.
Vern was gone by the time I started watching.  I remember Kristie(?) who liked rustic.

Yup - I did a search on his name and TS and looked at his picture.  I don't remember if it was Kia and the painted fabric or not. What a disaster. Also - was it Kia who did the apartment in NYC with a Murphy bed? I think there was a n issue with her filling in the space 'beneath ' the bed, so that you'd have to move furniture when you pull the bed down. Idiot, I understand the purpose of a Murphy bed, but I sure wouldn't want to rearrange my living room every night so I could go to bed.  

• Love 2

I don't remember a Murphy bed, but I her painting a piano, and she pasted something on walls too, did she do the straw, or was it plants.
On the other hand I loved her color choices sometimes, because we both liked orange.

12 hours ago, aliya said:

As a homeowner now, and knowing how these shows often treat the owner's property, there's no way I'd sign up.

I would, but I only became a homeowner 4 years ago after living in apartments forever.  I have a generic 70s style ranch with nothing special or architectural about it. More than 1/2 my furniture is Craigslist finds, cast offs from other people or Target/Ikea. I think it could be interesting to see what someone else could do with my space.  I am putting in new flooring in about a month, so my mind may change then. :)

• Love 1
16 hours ago, aliya said:

As a homeowner now, and knowing how these shows often treat the owner's property, there's no way I'd sign up.

I think I read that in some cases, an eager couple talked friends into applying with them, and sort of glossed over the risks, and were all "it'll be fun."

• Love 1
6 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

I would, but I only became a homeowner 4 years ago after living in apartments forever.  I have a generic 70s style ranch with nothing special or architectural about it. More than 1/2 my furniture is Craigslist finds, cast offs from other people or Target/Ikea. I think it could be interesting to see what someone else could do with my space.  I am putting in new flooring in about a month, so my mind may change then. :)

Other than painting and maybe new carpet upstairs, I was actually okay with what I bought. I haven't felt a need to redo anything major yet. If I was dissatisfied and thought TS would give me something nice for the experience, I'd think about it - but I've seen years of their work. They'd have to promise me Edward, Vern, or Laurie, otherwise I'd pass.

• Love 2
On 4/2/2018 at 10:43 PM, aliya said:

Also, wasn't it TS where the designer wanted to paint an upholstered chair?

It was Hildi--the chair had belonged to the homeowner's grandmother and she wanted to keep it the way it was.  The couple helping Hildi tried to step in and save the chair but Hildi refused and painted it anyway.  The homeowner was very upset (and I don't blame her).  Who paints upholstery?

• Love 3

an article in the Times today (you'll have to skim over Jersey Shore first)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/04/arts/television/jersey-shore-family-vacation-trading-spaces-reboot.html

I never watched the original; this doesn't sound appealing to me:

While it may be Michele’s sister’s house, it is Hildi’s show, and she is not one to be outmaneuvered. (She once covered a wall in hay, and another time in flowers.) She returns with a loud geometric-print fabric and announces, “I kind of saw it as a deconstructed penguin.”

It is no such thing. Rather, it is a pretense to force this amiable couple into many hours of painting this awkward pattern on the walls and the ceiling, a task they greet as enthusiastically as you might a mandatory Saturday night at the office, followed by being forced to clean up after a neighbor’s gastrointestinally challenged cat.

• Love 4