Type keyword(s) to search

Happy! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Sonny: Sex sells. Death sells even better.

Happy: Things Hailey likes - tickle fights, pattycake, tutus, baby dolls, ponies, magic tricks.

Nick: All right, let's do a tutorial here. Uh, see these numbers here? Those are the odds. So you get a horse like, uh, this glistening specimen, Tijuana Trots, who pays 20 to 1. That's a 20-to-1 dog in my book.
Happy: She not a dog. She's a horsey.
Nick: So anyway, you place a bet on Tijuana Trots, she comes in first place, that pays out-
Hailey: $42.
Nick: How'd you know that?
Hailey: Math, dad.

Nick: Do you know what the Sax family crest is? Two iguanas licking the tears of despair out of each other's eyes because they lost it all on a sure thing.

Nick: I can't believe your mom gave you 40 bills.
Hailey: Mom thinks you're broke.
Happy: Wonder where she got that idea.

Meredith: Amanda, what happened up there that night? What happened in Shine Tower?
Amanda: What if I told you I can't remember?
Meredith: I'd say you've been though a lot. I'd say you're in denial.
Amanda: Wow. Cop, fucker of husbands not your own, real estate agent, and now psychotherapist? Is there anything you can't do?

Happy: I don't know what sucks eggs more - your dad game or your partner game.

(edited)

Inside the episode S2.E2

Clip: ponies!

Clip: wine o'clock

S2.E3: Some Girls Need a Lot of Repenting

A simple B&E, they said; introducing the captivating Bebe DeBarge; a very Smoothie Easter egg hunt.

Clip:

Original air date: 4/10/19

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Hailey just learned an important truth (that Nick forgot,apparently): If you do something you like for imaginary money, it's fun.  If you do it for real money, it becomes a job.

• Love 5

Ponies are great...then, like most thing, when money gets involved, things take a turn for the suck. 

That guy being skinned alive was just...ugh. Even by this shows fucked up standards. 

Amanda/Mere is such a great pairing, even with all the history. And watching Nick fumbling attempts to be a father to Haley is both sad and funny.

• Love 2
On 4/9/2019 at 2:31 PM, tennisgurl said:

That guy being skinned alive was just...ugh. Even by this shows fucked up standards. 

I can't stop thinking about it. And what bothers me the most is that the guy was probably conscious while Smoothie was skinning him. 

The skinned man premise was stupid, didn't Smoothie kidnap the guy right before he is about the present. How can he skin the man and hide him in a chocolate bunny in such a short time. How long would that be from the abduction to the reveal?

Every high school horror movie has somebody smushed inside the bleachers. Do better show.

Why didn't we see Blue kill the prisoners, would have been more interesting than watching someone eat a butt-load of candy, then throw it back up.

Musical fight scene was mildly amusing.

• Love 1

Eek, skinned alive guy in the giant bunny! So many kids are going to be scarred for life by the time this show ends! 

The musical number was so random and hilarious, especially the can can dance by taser. 

"I should have been a TV detective." 

11 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Eek, skinned alive guy in the giant bunny! So many kids are going to be scarred for life by the time this show ends! 

That's what bothers me about this show and horror movies with kids in it, especially when they're particularly gruesome. How do they make sure the kids aren't negatively affected? You can tell them it's make-believe,  but even make-believe can be scary. 

• Love 1

Playing catch-up. Ann-Margaret as a faded star who can see Happy, leading to a nice dance number? Good. Nick fighting a bunch of dudes, and all of them getting swept up in the music? Great! Like a lot of things in this show, it felt so random and so natural at the same time.

It's a pity this series won't get hot. We could have lots of Easter tie-in next year . . . like hollow dark chocolate bunnies with a flayed guy inside. He would be made from "gummi" material, so it wouldn't be that gross.

I don't think any amount of therapy can help Amanda or Hailey. Like, ever. Even if it's top-notch and affordable, shit from guys like Sonny and Smoothie will scar you for life.

ETA: Bonus points for two girls getting scarred so badly, their respective imaginary friends poof out of existence. And what school has a BetaMax player?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

ETA: Bonus points for two girls getting scarred so badly, their respective imaginary friends poof out of existence. And what school has a BetaMax player?

I loved when the British Friend said "oh fuck" and then poofed.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

S2.E3 clips:

Bebe sings:

Bebe can see Happy:

Happy feet:

He has risen:

S2.E4: Blitzkrieg!!!

Sonny Shine is calling in his blackmail, and Dayglo Doug is the casualty this week. Sax, Merry and Happy enter a geriatric death trap.

Clip:

Original air date: 4/17/19

Happy: Imagine it! Dayglo Doug was there when Sonny started! What's the word for when you're part of history?
Nic:k: Fossil.
Meredith: Yeah, Sax, I get it. He's old. What's your point?
Nick: I don't know. Let's see. He's senile. He wears leotards. Nah, sounds like a slam dunk witness to build the foundation of your case on. Top flight police work.

Orderly: If you're hungry, there's a vending machine in the restroom.
Nick: The restroom? Fuck this place!

Meredith: I can tell you want to talk to me, Doug. What are you afraid of?
Dayglo Doug: Me? Everything. Heights, spider plants, three legged jeans.

Orcus: You'll have more and more blackouts until life is one long continuous blackout. Now won't that be nice? No more waking up like a Kennedy wondering, "Who did I sodomize? Who did I kill?"

Simon: I was right out of college in Seattle when the first big dot com boom hit. I found myself one of the first employees of a books in the mail startup.
Amanda: Amazon? Wow!
Simon: No, it was encyclopediasinthemail.com - free returns killed us.

Simon: Joseph Campbell said it best - follow your bliss. He should know. He invented fricking Star Wars.

Happy: Why don't more people know about his? How come they never showed it on The Golden Girls?
Nick: Lesbian fairy tale.

Smoothie: Nothing makes you believe in hell like Catholic school.

Nick: Puberty, six year period where you part your hair down the middle and your body gets all awkward and pimply and at the same time wants to get naked with other people.

Dayglo Doug: Sonny use to say the shortest book ever written was the German book of humor.

Meredith: Sax, stop killing people!
Nick: Oh, come on, Mere! They're Nazis!
Happy: Ouch..schwitz!

Nick: Auf wiedersehen, motherfucker! Greatest generation, my ass.

Sonny: Who likes selfies? Everybody say Sonny Shine Easter live bonanza extravaganza with Tony Danza!

Nick: Being a grown up means you gotta learn that heroism comes in a lot of different forms, one of them being not being a hero.

Nick: We have too many freaks in leotards in our lives for my taste.

Orcus: Surely if I can forgive you for sending six of your chums in to kill me, surely you can forgive me for merely drowning them all in the toilet.

I know I probably shouldn't laugh at things like Mere pulling off an old guy's prosthetic leg and then beating him with it, but I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to hell. And like Nick said, they're Nazis!

Sonny telling his penis artist that he wanted more veins made me laugh, but I was also cringing.

Orcus is creepy as fuck!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Once the carnage in the GeriNazi ward was complete, I thought the show had reached this week's quota for hilariously graphic violence. But how silly of me -- along comes OrcusBlue and his mind-control convict dismemberment. I guess the devil can cite Scripture for his own purposes.

BTW, "Orcus" is the name of the ancient Roman god of death, if that has any significance. 

• Useful 1

I have to admit that I really don't understand why I like this show so much, to the point of laughing out loud at pretty much everything ("ouch-witz" cracked me up).  I'm an older, pretty boring not-cool grandma kind of woman, and I have to watch this when my husband's not around, he has a pretty good sense of humor but I guess it goes only so far.

Loved how both the Nazi fight and the toilet scene threw pretty much every trope into the mix.   Find Blue /Orcus pretty boring thou, although I did like the Liam Neeson reference.  Hope to never see the Sonny statute again, too veiny.

• Love 2

I binge-watched Season 1 on Netflix to get caught up for this season and enjoyed it for the most part. But I'm not really feeling Season 2 so far. The first season had a stronger sense of urgency because they needed to find and rescue Hailey. This season just feels sort of scattered, and I don't understand the point of Blue's storyline at all. 

Also, the more I see of Sunny the less plausible it seems that he'd be some kind of children's TV personality superstar. He's just so damn creepy and weird I can't imagine anyone even putting him on TV (unless he blackmailed those people too). Kids aren't that pliable - I think they'd find him creepy too. I think the only way I could buy his popularity would be if his audience was made up of kids about half of Hailey's age, like pre-preschool kids.

• Love 2
On 4/18/2019 at 4:49 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Simon: Joseph Campbell said it best - follow your bliss. He should know. He invented fricking Star Wars.

The thing is that it's (very loosely) true.  Lucas followed Campbell's "Hero Tale" pretty much point-for-point.

• Love 1

I made it to episode 2 and sorry. The flayed alive guy made me hurl and bail.  That and Smoothie dyeing live, screaming rabbits.

Look, show, I get that you want to be dark and dangerous and outrageous. But gross for the sake of gross? Forget it.  There's a limit and between skinning people alive,  organs flying all over the screen, and being knee deep in blood, you have reached it, nay exceeded it a long while back.

Westworld nearly skated up to that same limit this limit during its second season, but fortunately its story sustained it.  Unfortunately, based on what I've been reading here, I don't think Happy can say the same thing.

Pity, because season one, although violent, was fascinating.

• Love 2

Basic lesson learned: little girls are the absolute worst. Also, if I see a name like "Weird Al" Yankovic in the credits, I shouldn't automatically assume it's a live-action role.

I can't see a third season happening. I think we've seen as much as we can get from a cable show based on a comic. Honestly, I would have guessed Garth Ennis was the creator. With Grant Morrison, I'd expect high concept shit and hidden messages to beings on higher planes of existence. Shit, maybe that explains the Fauxtubbies.

22 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I mean, you can do anything awful to Nazis, even when they're old men. They're Nazis!

Only way it could have been better? Vampire Nazis. Then the iota of guilt you might feel vanishes completely.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Only way it could have been better? Vampire Nazis. Then the iota of guilt you might feel vanishes completely.

You ever seen Dead Snow? It features Nazi Zombies! And its sequel, Red Vs Dead, has Nazi Zombies Vs Communist Zombies!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Basic lesson learned: little girls are the absolute worst.

While this is absolutely true, to be fair, the girls were sincere in trying to befriend Hailey. Smoothie was the one who swapped out the original cake for the fruitcake.

9 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

See also: The Originals. I felt absolutely no guilt hoping for the Nazi vampires to be killed.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

While this is absolutely true, to be fair, the girls were sincere in trying to befriend Hailey. Smoothie was the one who swapped out the original cake for the fruitcake.

Wait, so the chorus of "Jingle Bells" was in Hailey's head? Seriously, she needs so much help. If not for the first season, I don't think she would have needed therapy and/or medication until she found out she was -- on a genetic level -- fifty percent shitbag.

50 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Wait, so the chorus of "Jingle Bells" was in Hailey's head? Seriously, she needs so much help. If not for the first season, I don't think she would have needed therapy and/or medication until she found out she was -- on a genetic level -- fifty percent shitbag.

The singing of "Jingle Bells" was real, caused by Smoothie substituting the fruitcake for the birthday cake. The kids have been taunting Hailey about her Santa Claus/Christmas issues since she arrived at the new school.

Yes, the kids singing was real, but what I meant in my previous post is that the popular girls who decided to befriend Hailey after the queen bee got taken out by Smoothie were sincere. They really did want to be friends with her and they ordered her a real birthday cake to be nice to her. If Smoothie hadn't switched out the cake, Hailey would have had new friends and a semi-happy birthday (while she was at school anyway).

It was the rest of the kids who started singing Jingle Bells because they are followers. They take their cues from the popular girls so when they saw the fruitcake, they assumed that the popular girls were just fucking with Hailey again.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I wouldn't have been such a bad idea (TV wise) for the singing to be imaginary, Hailey' journey could have mirrored her mom, dad, and Happy's journey of escaping reality through various means, friendship, empty sex, creating a happy space, voluntary, or involuntary ingestion of mind altering substances, etc. Dayglo Doug has his mind at ease from years of stress after getting his blackmail tape back, showed his bravado and forgot how precarious his situation was. Blue/Orcus literally lives in two realities. Sunny Shines has to pretend every day to be someone he is not. Since this episode was pretty much filler anyway, they could have fillered it up with pointless symbolism/parallelism. The only person not displaying a different state of mind was Merry, who seemed singularly focused on the task at hand.

• Love 2

S2.E5 inside the episode

Clips:

Many happy returns

Sax is tripping

S2.E6: Pervapalooza

Meeting Janet; Happy moves way past the (imaginary) friend zone; Sax and Merry get slimy.

Clip:

Original air date: 5/1/19

Even after seeing Smoothie skin a guy alive, I think this is the thing I am most pissed about. Poor little Hailey might have actually made friends and had a decent birthday, but no, instead she gets manipulated by some piece of shit serial killer for some evil goal. 

The most adorable bar fight ever! It even distracted from all the weird, gross stuff going down, including...whatever the things inside the animal masks are. This episode was extra trippy, even by this shows wold standards/ 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I think this is the thing I am most pissed about. Poor little Hailey might have actually made friends and had a decent birthday, but no, instead she gets manipulated by some piece of shit serial killer for some evil goal.

This doesn't bother me since this show is basically about the daughter getting involved in the dad's bad, weird life so weird, bad things are going to happen to her. What pisses me off is that she's the one who needs somebody to talk to so why did she lose her imaginary friend? Isn't there a more grown-up one she could get?

• Love 2

Wow, that IF "sex" between Happy and Bo Peep was nothing short of a revelation!

Also, I liked seeing Amanda tell off the lady at the "women's clinic." But I am genuinely scared for her. What was in that glass vial? 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, arachne said:

What was in that glass vial? 

The glass vial contained the drug that Sunny Shines gave Amanda when she was locked in a cage at Shines Tower. Sunny Shines said it would answer all her questions about the parts that she couldn't remember. I thought it was stupid not to take it in the safety of her home.

• Love 3

Safe to assume Amanda's pregnancy is from the dude she's currently seeing? I really would hate for it to be connected to the events from S1, that she can't remember.

I can't believe how much I love Mere and the Mere/Sax partnership. I hated her in S1, except for the last few episodes and her standing by Amanda.

I am deeply freaked out by the Smoothie/Haley stuff. I do not want him anywhere near her.

• Love 2

Like, even by this shows standards, sex between Happy and Bo Peep was a...whole lot of something. 

I love Mere and her banter with Sax, they make a weirdly compelling team, murder boards and actual murders and all. God those...things in the costumes are so freaking creepy. 

I hope that at least Amanda's pregnancy is from the guy she has been seeing, and nothing to do with Shine and all of the stuff from last season. She is messed up enough without carrying Rosemary's baby or whatever. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Mer: How the hell did you get this thing out of there?
Sax: Like shoving a cat in a mason jar, Mer.

Sax: I know this may be hard to believe, but I, too, have had occasion to question my sanity as of late.

Mer: So where do you want to start?
Sax: Give me an asshole, a mouth, or something. Get my bearings.

Le Dic: used to be into some weird sexual shit. I ain't too proud to admit it Role-play, getting beat up, whipped, wolf bag, scatty pants.

Warden: Let's talk about this whole Kumbaya thing you got going on. I see what's going on out there - Aryan brotherhood, black gangster disciples, and Nuestra Familia all getting along together like a Waldorf salad. There hasn't been a violent incident or a disciplinary infraction of any kind in over 72 hours.

Sax: I am so happy right now. No, really, I was afraid that you was dead. I mean, getting shot in the face is not exactly a night out at Studio 54 Not to mention the ever-present risk of a catheter infection. For a guy like you, the possibilities are endless. And then I wouldn't be able -
Smoothie: To kill me yourself, yes.

Sax: The only thing I'm thinking about now is how I'm going to rip out your piss tube and shove it into your good eye until I hit brain.

Sax: I know it's been a while.
Sax's mom: Time flies when we're dodging familial responsibilities. Who wants a drink?
Sax: Uh, no. I'm I'm dry-ish.
Sax's mom: One bullshit. How about you?
Sax: Now, ma, come on.
Sax's mom: What? Virgin. It's not. 
Sax: No booze for the kid!
Sax's mom: It's called manners, you ape.

Sax's mom: I'm just glad you got back in time. I got the cancer. The big C. Doctors give me 15, 20 good years left.

Hailey: So then he grabbed the gun and shot Santa Claus right between the eyes. And that's how I met my dad.
Sax's mom: Much better story than how I met my dad. 
Hailey: How? 
Sax's mom: At his funeral.

Sax's mom: So you are a Sax, hmm? From Saxi, in the Nordic. That's Scandinavian. In fact, that's where we get the Sax family crest - two gnomes crossing their itty bitty daggers beneath a flag that reads "size don't matter." You know, us Saxes, sometimes we get the short end of the stick. But we fight back, always. And so what about you, child? Any fight in you?
Hailey: When I have to, but it's hard when you're little.
Sax's mom: That's when you fight dirty. That's the first thing I taught your father. The bigger they are, the more it hurts below the belt.

Julie: I think it's wise that you understand the facts. Cervical cancer spikes post-abortion. You have an 87% chance of becoming sterile, and often, we are unable to remove all the baby's limbs and digits from the womb.
Amanda: What?
Julie: They kind of just float around causing all sorts of medical issues, as you can imagine.
Amanda: What the hell kind of women's health clinic is this?
Julie: The kind that can save your soul. You have an 11-year-old daughter? How would she feel about you killing her little brother or sister?
Amanda: Fuck you, Julie.

Sax: You need to work on your aim! 
Mer: What? 
Sax: Smoothie! He's alive! One eye down, but still with the same sparkling personality.

A+ for this week's music (although I have to admit that Slave to Love always makes me think of 9 1/2 Weeks now, which creeps me out). Samantha Fox!

Ugh, come on, Amanda, why wouldn't you just go to Planned Parenthood instead of one of those faux family planning places that blatantly lie about women's health? The part about how they can't always get the limbs out after an abortion so they just float around inside your body was ridiculous.

• Love 4