Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

I always love to watch the Hotch/Reid portion of this, the interplay between them being the epitome of character canon to me. It's true Hotch is going through the extreme situation of Haley suing him for divorce, but he is so very Hotch here. And Reid is as in character as I've ever seen him; he's competent and professional, even though he was flattered by the asst. warden on the way in. The situation with Chester Hardwicke is well drawn, and has a nice twist in that the already angry Hotch finds a potential outlet for his anger in the bully who thinks he has the upper hand. The twist being that the one who has the upper hand is Reid, who diffuses the potentially catastrophic situation by psychological manipulation. Through the scenes, both men are as gorgeous as they've ever been. Speaking shallowly, each man's hair is perfectly suited to him, Reid with his soft pageboy, Hotch with his bristly close cut and his cowlicks sticking out everywhere. The angelic swallowing terror on Reid's face, the Hotchalanche scowl on Hotch's. 

When they get back, there's that cute Reid-is-clueless scene, and the resigned Hotch-signing-his-marriage-away. And on the form he signs there's a signature for an official witness - who is not there - and the signature is Andy Swan.

• Love 5

And I love the scene as they're driving back, because Hotch shares something intimate and personal with Reid, who is obviously surprised, a little bit flattered, and concerned.  To me, it's always seemed like a turning point in their relationship, a coming-of-age for Reid, who is being related to as a mature equal, and not as a mentored subordinate.  He has the respect of his superior, and it engenders an even deeper respect for his superior.  

• Love 6

This is my favorite Rossi-centered episode, and one of my favorite episodes of the show in general. I love seeing him caring so much about this case, and these kids. The ending with him giving them back their house and them agreeing to keep in touch and all that always gets me a little choked up. 

(Newbie here, so hello, all :p!)

• Love 5
12 hours ago, JMO said:

And I love the scene as they're driving back, because Hotch shares something intimate and personal with Reid, who is obviously surprised, a little bit flattered, and concerned.  To me, it's always seemed like a turning point in their relationship, a coming-of-age for Reid, who is being related to as a mature equal, and not as a mentored subordinate.  He has the respect of his superior, and it engenders an even deeper respect for his superior.  

And then 3 or 4 episodes later, Hotch is schooling him again and telling him he should fire him for his behavior! Ah, the circle of life!

• Love 4

I like this episode because the team shows Rossi that they consider him part of the team and they will go to lengths for him, notwithstanding he's been kind of a smug asshole so far (I really dislike how he forced Morgan to interview the priest in Lucky when Morgan specifically indicated he didn't want to) and he doesn't think he needs them. 

I also liked that they were working on different cases. It seems unbelievable that the entire team would up and spend days on one single case when there are no doubt a lot of other cases that need attention. 

The ending with Hotch signing the papers makes me sad ... and also wonder what financial settlement they reached. I assume with Haley got the house and spousal support and child maintenance, and a good chunk of the marital assets (50%?). But admittedly I know nothing about the law in Virginia. 

• Love 3

This episode has Reid/Hotch relationship at its best. I usually fast forward the Rossi parts in this episode and skip to the Hotch and Reid moments. 

Normasm and JMO you both described perfectly why I love this episode so much.

Welcome to CM forum Annber!!!

• Love 3

idiot, I liked the different cases tack on this one as well, even though I didn't like the Rossi part at all. I find it revealing the few times they have done that, because it shows how different combinations of the teams approach things differently. I just thought the Rossi part was a bit sappy, as though the smart and taut writing on the Hotch-Reid section was written by a different person altogether.

• Love 3

To my knowledge, the only other time the show has had two cases being worked on at once was "The Crossing". I would agree, though, that the show should go to this well more often- it's interesting seeing different approaches to cases and it gives more people in the cast things to do.

As for this episodes, it's one of my all-time favourites, mostly because of the character interactions. It was great that Rossi finally learned he had people he could trust and rely on, and his interactions with the family were heartwarming.

Then of course was Chester Hardwick. I thought it was a bit slow until that climatic scene, which Reid totally stole. Still, Hotch declaring "unfortunately for you, I'm not a five-foot, hundred pound girl" and getting ready for a beat down was a thing of rare beauty.

• Love 4
(edited)

Agreed on liking the whole "working different cases" aspect, and another thing about that that I especially like is that it allows us to see the team doing aspects of the job we don't normally get to see them do. Like with this case, they were interviewing Hardwick for research purposes. It's a good reminder of just how much extensive work these guys really do. 

I also like this exchange from Reid and Hotch's interview with Hardwick:

Chester: Is is true I never really had a chance?

Reid (still a little unnerved by the tense encounter): I dunno, maybe. *Quickly exits the room*

Also, every time I watch this episode I keep thinking that Hardwick, looks-wise, reminds me a bit of the real life killer John List. So that makes him even creepier to me. 

(And thanks, ReidGirl, for the welcome!)

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 3

Watching Birthright. Enjoying the Hotch/JJ interaction and his acknowledgement that she has to go through the horror of seeing hundreds of victims across her desk, many of whom are her age.

Also enjoying:

JJ’s shiny hair

Prentiss wearing red

Reid’s sweater vest 

The elderly detective on the original case kind of looking a real-life version of Jasper from The Simpsons. 

• Love 4

That is a good episode, yeah. I too liked how they touched on how tough looking at some of those victims would be for JJ-it adds an interesting angle to her difficulty over deciding what cases the team should take. Obviously they go with the ones that need the most immediate attention, but I have no problem believing the ones that subconsciously struck a personal nerve also got priority as well. 

I also like the way the episode continues to foreshadow the case Rossi will work in "Damaged", though if I recall rightly, the details he shares in "Birthright" don't quite match up to what we learn in "Damaged". 

And the ending is bittersweet, too, with the team making plans to get drinks only for Hotch to get served with divorce papers.

4 hours ago, idiotwaltz said:

JJ’s shiny hair

She has such beautiful hair. I wish I could figure out how to make mine as shiny and soft as hers is. 

Prentiss wearing red

I seem to remember that on the commentary for "Revelations", MGG commented at one point on how she looked good in red :D. No argument there. 

• Love 3

3rd Life rewatch today. It continues to make zero sense to me why Lindsey got so pissed off at Reid that in 10 years she frames him for murder and kidnaps his mom. But I enjoyed Green Light and Red Light so I’ll live with it. The ending to 3rd Life makes me a little sad now, poor girl never had a chance. I guess your options are limited when you’re the offspring of the Yellow Eyed Demon. 

I find the mid-00s flip phones endearing in a time when cellphones no longer have buttons. 

Prentiss wears dark purple tonight, also a flattering color on her. I’m not gonna lie, S3 is my favorite season purely based on Prentiss’ hair and wardrobe alone. 

• Love 2

They didn't really go into too  much detail as to Lindsey's motivations for the whole Reid in prison thing, but I suspect we're supposed to think it's all about her luuuuuuuuuuuuuuurve for Cat Adams. Gia did play it for the hurt/devastation when she heard the truth on the phone. Or at least, I thought she did. She'd been so coolly smug before that, holding up her phone and that blasé "Waiting for a phone call" while sitting with the detonator in her hands.

• Love 2

I didn't like Rossi's part of the episode, I edited a video with Hotch and Reid's scenes only xD

Anyway, I like the two cases in one episode thing, the same way I like it when someone is left behind or sent to another place. What about "Rock Creek Park", "Entropy", "Lessons Learned" or "Riding the Lightning". They are great episodes. But there are others like "A Place at the Table" (love Gibson and Asner here), "Internal Affairs" which are pretty interesting too (aside of the episode itself) because this structure could have saved us of  huge character absences and big plot holes. Looking at you, season 11!!

I would have been good if writers had used this resource more often and wisely.

Edited by smoker
  • Love 3

WE TV is running their new weekly Saturday marathon.  Just watched Elephant's Memory.  I love this episode from top to bottom.  The exposition on Reid and Morgan, Reid's determination to save Owen, at all costs, the relationship between Hotch and Reid---love, love, love.  It's one of a handful of episodes where they use the team member's identification with some aspect of the situation to reveal more about the team member, without being heavy-handed or concrete.  Love.

• Love 5

I was just watching that episode, too :). I love it so much. It's definitely in my top 5 episodes list, for all the very reasons you note. 

I also like the stuff with Jordan and Eileen. Jordan's so adorable and sweet and I feel for her being unwittingly caught up in this whole mess, and I like the idea that she has somebody else besides Owen there to support her, so that even after they've caught Owen, she's still not completely alone. It's fitting that Emily and JJ team up to deal with the Eileen and Jordan side of things-I can see some similarities between both friendships, with the loyalty and support and all that. 

And you can't go wrong with bringing in a bit of Johnny Cash. Love the songs of his they use in this episode. 

• Love 2

An absolute favourite of mine too!! It's one of those episodes in which I can "read-along" the lines of many (most?) scenes. 

I love Reid in it (no surprises there), the mix of vulnerability and determination is well written and so well acted. The relationship with Morgan and Hotch through the whole episode... I think it's one of the few times Hotch almost yells at Reid (!I'm using you" scene). 

Last time I rewatched it (and it's been a few ) I had this idea: Reid identifies with Owen so much that he starts somehow behaving like a teenager himself, he is rude to the school principal, he thinks he is being punished by Hotch, ... it's difficult to explain but I felt it very clearly. 

I think no one has mentioned another favourite scene of mine, the final one with Hotch in the plane , they are both so good in it!!

I feel like rewatching it ...again!!

• Love 6