Type keyword(s) to search

The Thirteenth Doctor: Jodie Whittaker

Chip
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, andipandi said:

Next series avail as DVD already? Does that mean it's doomed? Or they are hoping anxious fans buy it on the spot?

Series 11 is available for pre-order. It won't be released until after it airs on TV.

On 7/25/2017 at 8:48 AM, starri said:

As an aside, River Song confessed to being bisexual at one point.

She does have a wife now...

River had already mentioned that she had a wife...or two.

I'm watching Shada on BBCA, and the commercial bumper where they show all of the girls reacting to the announcement that Jodie was going to be 13 warms my cold, dead, heart.

• Love 2

I am trying to like her but find myself...unimpressed. She bugged me on Broadchurch and haven't seen her in anything else. I feel like she is trying too hard. Way too hard. And the strain is showing.

I wasn't wasn't a huge Matt Smith fan but he rolled into the role with a very loose vibe. It must have been hard to step into Tennant's sneakers but he didn't seem nervous at all. Jody seems all nerves.

• Love 2

Jodi also has a lot more eyes on her, watching, waiting, some waiting for her to fail, some waiting for her to succeed, because she's the first female. That's a LOT of pressure for a show that has run as long as this one and has a fan base as dedicated as this one. I don't blame her one bit for being nervous. It was easy for Matt, he was just a younger version of 10. 13 is something totally unexplored. I can't wait to see what she does with the Doctor, but I anticipate a bit of awkwardness as she and the writers get adjusted to the new Doctor, as always. 

• Love 3
On 6/16/2018 at 10:53 AM, Lantern7 said:

I tell myself “real” fans wouldn’t be toxic. Converts from 2005 and beyond would be open to a leading woman, old schoolers would remember speculation in the mid-Eighties. “Surely,” I say aloud to no one, “this fandom wouldn’t protest in droves based on the actress’s gender.” Naive AF, right?

Hey. I'm one of those "old" fans who have been protesting the sex change.

I've watched the Doctor since the 70's. (Jon Pertwee regenerated into Tom Baker) Male Time Lords regenerated into new male Time Lords and females regenerated into new female Time Lords.

Now gender is fluid? It seemed more like the new writers/producers/creators have ret-conned the old Time Lord lore to make it new and exciting for the 21st century. Make it hip and happening.  Making all past history meaningless.

Ah. But then...I said to myself-- self? why not? Out with the old way of thinking and in with the new.

The closer we get to the new season the more I want to watch it! I know!

Edited by taanja
  • Love 2
Just now, taanja said:

Hey. I'm one of those "old" fans who have been protesting the sex change.

I've watched the Doctor since the 70's. (Jon Pertwee regenerated into Tom Baker) Male Time Lords regenerated into new male Time Lords and females regenerated into new female Time Lords.

Now gender is fluid? It seemed more like the new writers/producers/creators have re-conned the old Time Lord lore to make it new and exciting for the 21st century. Make it hip and happening.  Making all past history meaningless.

Ah. But then...I said to myself-- self? why not? Out with the old way of thinking and in with the new.

The closer we get to the new season the more I want to watch it! I know!

I tell myself that not all folks resisting the transition are necessarily “bad.” In my head, it’s a gimmick, and it was one that was going to happen sooner or later.

• Love 1

Latern7 -- I'm going to give it a try. 

BBCA is airing the 13 Days of The Doctor and after catching some eps-- I am reminded how I do love this show-- timey whimey nonsense and all.

So the Doctor who has been a male for thousands and thousands of years .. is suddenly becoming a female?

so be it.

• Love 1

It helps that there's been so long in between the last one and the new one. Gives everyone a chance to cleanse their collective palates and remember why we love this show in the first place.

I'll give the newbie a shot - I always do after all. New showrunner, new music (Man am I gonna miss Murray Gold!), new everything. I'll have to wait and get context cause right now I am not crazy about the new sonic...maybe in context I'll like it. Right now? Seems they made it girly simply because the new doctor's a girl.

But she's not. Not really. Only the OUTSIDE is a girl. The INSIDE is 2,000 plus years of DUDE thinking. You're not getting rid of that in a year or so.

11 hours ago, hnygrl said:

But she's not. Not really. Only the OUTSIDE is a girl. The INSIDE is 2,000 plus years of DUDE thinking. You're not getting rid of that in a year or so.

Honest question:  What’s different in the way a woman thinks?

• Love 4
On 9/26/2018 at 8:55 PM, hnygrl said:

On 9/27/2018 at 8:22 AM, starri said:

But essentially The Doctor will be the same person as a male or a female just like Tge Master.  They are Time Lords I don’t think gender is relevant in the same way it is to us lowly humans.

• Love 5

Watched Jodie Whittaker on the Graham Norton show this weekend. Two things: One, it requires a special kind of quirkiness to talk about warty cow udders and remain utterly charming. Two, kudos to Jodie (or her stylist) she was holding her own next to Lady Gaga in full red carpet regalia - that's no easy feat but she rocked that suit.

• Love 5
On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:22 AM, starri said:

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:43 AM, Chaos Theory said:

But essentially The Doctor will be the same person as a male or a female just like Tge Master.  They are Time Lords I don’t think gender is relevant in the same way it is to us lowly humans.

Men's and women's brains are different in many ways and are wired differently.  Women and men process and perceive things differently.  Men's brains can focus on singular tasks better, while women's are better at multitasking.  Men's brains are more task oriented and better for abstract thinking, women's are better at complex social navigation.  Just a couple of the many differences.  This isn't just about gender either, we have seen that when the Doctor regenerates, he physiologically changes entirely and that includes his brain.  The Peter Capaldi Doctor was completely different from the Matt Smith Doctor in both his personality and the way he processed things, for example.  So not only is gender relevant but basically everything.  Aside from memories, the Doctor is an entirely different person.  Otherwise, why would the Doctor be so upset about regenerating every time it is about to occur?  If it was a simple cosmetic change, the Doctor wouldn't really care.  he might even be excited about it.  "Hey, maybe I'll get to be a woman this time!" or whatever.  But he makes clear that when he regenerates he ceases to exist and a new Doctor is born, and it might be someone he doesn't want to be.  It's unsettling.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 3

It may also be the way The Doctor is perceived.  The preview I have seen is a dude asking why JW is in charge and the rest of the group shout “because we say so”.    A male Doctor would never have to fight for control.  It would be interesting to see a female Doctor gain it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

It may also be the way The Doctor is perceived.  The preview I have seen is a dude asking why JW is in charge and the rest of the group shout “because we say so”.    A male Doctor would never have to fight for control.  It would be interesting to see a female Doctor gain it.

I think that is going to be the biggest issue with gender. Maybe not so much when they go to the future, but when they go to the past. I can see the Doctor running into "Well, well, little lady, why don't you go back to your needlepoint and let the men folk do the real work" And that could be interesting, if they tackle it properly.

• Love 4

So BBCA is airing all the eps (and seasons) leading up to the new Doctor this Sunday Oct 7th. 

We are in the Matt Smith years right now-- I have no problem with him-- it's Amy Pond (and by extension Rory) I have never warmed up to. I kind of forgot my irritation of that character. The first time around I could barely make it through the Amy Pond years. I am reminded why. Oy!

But to keep this on topic-- the new Doctor-- # 13 -- how many companions will she have? The commercials look like half a dozen! (OK maybe I'm exaggerating) but if I have to see that blip of --- who says she's in charge -- WE DO! -- I'm gonna puke. Maybe I'm just annoyed because that scene is being played over and over and over again.

23 hours ago, starri said:

Three.

Well... OK then. I am trying to keep an open mind. That sounds a little crowded. and like they don't have confidence in the new Doctor to carry the show?

39 minutes ago, taanja said:

That sounds a little crowded. and like they don't have confidence in the new Doctor to carry the show?

Would you have said the same of any of the other Doctors who had more than one companion?

I think it is more likely to dissipate any potential romantic tension between the Doctor and any of them.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, starri said:

Would you have said the same of any of the other Doctors who had more than one companion?

I think I am most looking forward to the return of multiple companions.  

I think it is more likely to dissipate any potential romantic tension between the Doctor and any of them.

It will be a welcome change.  I'm not saying that Thirteen shouldn't have a romance but enough with the "companion with a crush on the Doctor".   Hopefully, they will stay away from the super-extraordinary magical human character arc too.

• Love 8
On 05/10/2018 at 2:30 AM, Dobian said:

Men's and women's brains are different in many ways and are wired differently.

That's, frankly, complete nonsense.

Sincerely, a hopeless female multi-tasker.

• Love 10

Is this going to be "Kindergarten Cop" again - "boys have penises and girls have vaginas"?

(and remember: penis means "tail" and vagina means "sword sheath" or "scabbard")

• Love 1
On 9/26/2018 at 2:18 PM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I really___ enjoyed Matt Smith's Doctor run along with Amy Pond and Rory. I also loved Rose Tyler and Tennant's  Doctor. Loved Clara but couldn't get into Capaldi's Doctor. I'm open to give this new Doctor a try.  

Yes, to everything you said.   I pretty much hated Capaldi on his first season.  He was such a cranky pants after Matt Smith.  And unlike a lot of people I loved Clara, too, although more so with Matt.   I'm not sure how I'll feel about a female Doctor.   Missy turned out to be a fun version of The Master, so we'll see.

• Love 4

Clara and #11 (Matt Smith)  ended up being a wonderful pair.  I was sad when Clara left, there was never that spark between her and #12 ( Capaldi)  that existed before  between the previous 3 Doctors and their companions.  Being a sentimental fool, I like the idea of having  a little romantic spark thrown in to warm the heart. 

• Love 3

Count me in as yet another Clara-lover!  What a nice treat to find others like me.  I thought everyone on this forum detested her.  I really adored Matt Smith, too, so it was hard to get used to Capaldi.  He just seemed so grumpy, especially after Smith's quirky charm.

I'm excited to see Jodie Whittaker, although it's airing in the middle of the night here.  I'll wait to see it air tomorrow evening

• Love 4

Oh, that would be nice!

I loved Jodie Whittaker in today's broadcast, took a shine to her as the Doctor immediately. (Of course, I have for all the modern era Doctor actors except Matt Smith, but given how much I wanted Capaldi to stay I'm glad to feel the role is in excellent hands.) She was delightful, and I'm looking forward to seeing where she takes the character in upcoming episodes.

• Love 4
On 10/5/2018 at 4:22 PM, starri said:

Oh yes absolutely. I personally like the sexual tension between the Doctor and some of "his" companions. Always been one of my favorite aspects of the show-- going way back. The wondering... what are they doing in the TARDIS when we (the audience) doesn't see them? I mean c'mon! Leelah and her furs! Tom Baker's doctor always had a bit of a leer when he looked at her. Haha!

And I also adore the super special companions! Not just any schlub gets to travel in the TARDIS with the Doctor. One has to be more than special-- one has to be impossible!

• Love 1

I think Alex Kingston's reaction was a resounding yes upon hearing the casting news. Though it becomes narratively problematic in that River was unaware of regenerations beyond Eleven in her last appearance, with precious little room in her subjective timeline for more encounters.

17 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I think Alex Kingston's reaction was a resounding yes upon hearing the casting news. Though it becomes narratively problematic in that River was unaware of regenerations beyond Eleven in her last appearance, with precious little room in her subjective timeline for more encounters.

Plus the actress continues to age...but the character is supposed to be ageless. It becomes more and more apparent as the years go by.

• Love 1
On 9/30/2018 at 4:57 PM, MissLucas said:

Watched Jodie Whittaker on the Graham Norton show this weekend. Two things: One, it requires a special kind of quirkiness to talk about warty cow udders and remain utterly charming. Two, kudos to Jodie (or her stylist) she was holding her own next to Lady Gaga in full red carpet regalia - that's no easy feat but she rocked that suit.

She was by far the best thing about a great Norton show with a lot of star power. She was lively, funny, and engaging and she did look great in that outfit. I am so jealous of her husband. 

I'm not familiar with her earlier work so she is new to me but between this show and the first episode of Dr Who I am looking forward to seeing more of her as the Dr.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Kite said:

why should gender be THE most important attribute to them?

For me, it should only really matter in the way she is treated by others, particularly when they travel to the past. It would be much easier for someone who appears to be a white male to take charge and get things done through much of human history. It will be interesting to see the next ep in which they go back to the 50s, not the worst time for women as far as not being respected or treated like people who can think and function on their own, but still a time when most men are going to brush the Doctor off as a "little woman" who should be home cooking or taking care of her family. 

But for the Doctor herself, it shouldn't really make much difference, beyond having to get a bra instead of y-fronts. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

For me, it should only really matter in the way she is treated by others, particularly when they travel to the past.

I really hope they address this! I think they will, although probably not in depth. It sounds like from the way things were created backstage (like writers assuming male Dr until last minute) that they're not focusing too heavily on that aspect (I'm fine with just a bit). Hopefully though the Doctor gets some specifically sexist treatment at some stage, because it's a reality for people who ding the "woman shaped" alert no matter what they think like or feel like inside, and apart from that shitty "just walk around like you own the place, I always do" advice from an apparently white dude to a black woman in Shakespearean England, the show of late has sometimes acknowledged (rather than ignored, or silently been complicit in accepting) that it might be difficult for some companions more than others to get around by dint of identity. The trailer for next week has a line where Ryan is having to take a few deep breaths, eeeep. 

I guess my only fear is that sometimes pseudo-feminism (known as exceptionalism/level playing field wrt to race, class) puts all the responsibility for being oppressed into women's hands, such as if we get the Doctor written to tell the audience: "well if you just act coded male, that's always enough to get respect!" ("Walk around like you own the place!") Usually it isn't enough at all, though for the purposes of the stories, it's going to have to be somewhat; I doubt she gonna do drag.

Edited by Kite
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Kite said:

"well if you just act coded male, that's always enough to get respect!" ("Walk around like you own the place!") Usually it isn't enough at all, though for the purposes of the stories, it's going to have to be somewhat; I doubt she gonna do drag.

Ha, that's the shit that got women burned for witchcraft back in the day. Or labeled as a lesbian, which mean sick and depraved and locked up in the not so far back in the day. I hope they don't go that root, that all the Doctor has to do is act like a man and everyone will just accept her because that's just not the way the world ever worked. I do have some hope based on that promo that shows someone all "who put you in charge" that they will at least address that it's going to be harder for the Doctor to just walk in and take charge now that she's not a white dude. 

• Love 4
On 9/30/2018 at 4:57 PM, MissLucas said:

Did not like/enjoy "A Star is Born" (again!).  Any way we can retire this tired old chestnut? No more remakes, please? Streisand/ Kristofferson jumped the shark with this one ages ago. Gaga/Cooper had nothing to add.

Gaga over-dressed, much?

I love JW as Doctor Who. 

Edited by Skycatcher

I am loving Thirteen! I don't know exactly what I was expecting, but she is hitting all the right notes for me. I get a Nine vibe from her, an innocence (might not be the right word, but it's close) and sense of fun and adventure that has been missing for a while. Ten will always be my Doctor and Nine was my first. I think Thirteen is going to round out my top three nicely!

Loving the companions, too.

• Love 3