Type keyword(s) to search

The Thirteenth Doctor: Jodie Whittaker

Chip
  • Start Topic

(edited)

If I remember correctly, I don't think Series 11 is going to debut until the Fall of 2018.  So it's going to be quite a while before we truly see JW as The Doctor.

Edited by benteen
4 hours ago, benteen said:

I thought she captured the excitement of getting the Tardis brilliantly as someone often says.

I thought so too. It might only have been less than a minute but she felt Doctor-y to me, so I'm definitely excited so see what's coming.

May I also just give props to the BBC for the A+ trolling contained in this trailer for her new mini-series Trust Me. I'm sure the editors had a field day with this one!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=lmELIRcuuXY

• Love 2

Interview! It's somewhere after the 90 minute mark. She mainly talks about Trust Me. When she does talk about Dr Who, it's all very much about her feelings and emotions, no actual news of substance. I suppose it's too early for that. Understandable, but I did want some details.

Yorkshire, near where Christopher Eccleston is from.  Lots of places have a North.

She prompted his first positive comments about the franchise in a long time, saying "She's working class, she's northern, what could go wrong?"

Based on that video, I think I'm really going to like her.

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, ketose said:

I just saw this video. Where is Jodie Whittaker from anyway? She has a very, um, working class accent.

IMDB lists her birthplace as being in West Yorkshire. Nothing further about where Jodie grew up. 

• Love 1

Jodie gets her look. The reaction I've seen has been mixed so far. Also, I think it's a balance of "Women never dress the same way that often" and "An incarnation of the Doctor sticks with the template." Also, both versions of Romana had different outfits . . . but she wasn't the main character.

I heard the new season would run in Fall 2018. Too damn long for me.

12 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Jodie gets her look. The reaction I've seen has been mixed so far. Also, I think it's a balance of "Women never dress the same way that often" and "An incarnation of the Doctor sticks with the template." Also, both versions of Romana had different outfits . . . but she wasn't the main character.

Doctor Who has always been weird about costumes and costume changes, both for the Doctor and for companions. Some have had a single outfit throughout their run, others have had a few subtle variations from season to season, and others have been allowed to change clothes on a fairly regular basis - and that statement applies to both Doctors and companions! Although the companions who were allowed to change clothes got to really mix and match, whereas Doctors who've changed clothes (I'm thinking primarily of the Third Doctor here) always stuck to variations on the same basic style.

Mainly, it is traditional that the Doctor's outfit should be quirky, standing out from the crowd even while aping human fashion - this costume certainly fits that brief.

• Love 3

Have to admit, I don't love it. It looks too much like a mishmash of bits of previous Doctors' looks, rather than letting her have a distinct look of her own. But maybe it'll evolve over time.

Edited by TheOtherOne
13 hours ago, starri said:

The whole package reminds me of Six, which is I hope not the kind of characterization they’re leaning into. 

They just did a very Six-ish Doctor with Twelve, so hopefully wouldn't repeat a similar characterisation two Doctors running. Although, that said, I do love Six - after a dodgy beginning, he settled to become absolutely lovely.

On 11/9/2017 at 10:46 AM, Llywela said:

Mainly, it is traditional that the Doctor's outfit should be quirky, standing out from the crowd even while aping human fashion - this costume certainly fits that brief.

It's definitely quirky and it looks right on Jodie Whittaker. I like it.

I wasn't convinced when Jodie was cast, but, with the addition of three companions and the new look, I'm going to like the show.

Edited by DJG1122
add statement

I wasn't too sure at first, but it's grown on me.  It's good that it gives a nod to previous Doctors to help to remind us that she, and not the men around her, is the Doctor.   However, I'd like to see her change into something more stylish, but still quirky, as the series progresses.

• Love 1

I think I preferred the hoodie look from the promo. But if the Doctor's new outfit is the only thing about the casting decision that gives me reservations, I'd say we're in a pretty good place. I have every confidence Ms. Whittaker is going to make a superb Doctor.

• Love 5

Review: One line, two words, a freefall from an out-of-control TARDIS. I think this was Chibnall poking fun at RTD and Moffat having their new Doctors blurt out weird stuff before crashing the TARDIS.

Two things:

1. Several years ago, Clare Moseley and Kevin Bolk put out a webcomic: Ensign Sue Must Die! Basically, a Mary Sue-type runs amok on the rebooted Enterprise. Two more "volumes" came, with lots of genre characters popping in . . . including the Doctor. Soon, the running gag was that any time we saw a "new" classic form, he'd get "killed" and regenerate again. In the denouement, Kirk meets a female Doctor. This was three years ago today. I know the concept of a lady Doctor had been around longer, but I just fit it funny in retrospect, especially since that Doctor was presented as a blonde woman.

2. In case you didn't see it, here's a cartoon speculating on Jodie's post-regeneration scene, originally posted in August.

• Love 7

This a random question that's been bugging me for a while.

How are we going to handle pronouns?  Obviously, 13 will be "her" and the individual previous 12 will be "him," but what do we do when talking about the Doctor as a gestalt, what do we do?  "They" and "them?"  It hasn't been keeping me up at night, but I have thought about it.

I'll probably still go with him when speaking of the Doctor in any way beyond just 13. I don't care enough about equality in pronouns. The Doctor has been a male more often than not, so I'm sticking with that. If I am talking about 13 however, it's "her". It will be weird, but it makes sense to me. I supposed we could always go with "it" lol.

• Love 1

Personally, I don’t know if I really talk about The Doctor in a way that pronouns would be an issue. For me, there’s the current Doctor, 13, who is  a “she.” All previous Doctors, while individually “he”s, are collectively a “they.” When we eventually get to 14, regardless of that Doctor’s gender, 13 will become part of the “they”s.

• Love 2

Nine, Ten, Eleven and Twelve had outfits that were a little different, but nothing you wouldn't see walking down the street in NYC. Thirteen's outfit is a costume, which, since she is different from the previous doctors, should be different. It seems to me that she is saying "I'm different, my clothes are different. Let's go have fun". Works for me. 

• Love 2
On 16/01/2018 at 10:33 PM, DJG1122 said:

Nine, Ten, Eleven and Twelve had outfits that were a little different, but nothing you wouldn't see walking down the street in NYC. Thirteen's outfit is a costume, which, since she is different from the previous doctors, should be different. It seems to me that she is saying "I'm different, my clothes are different. Let's go have fun". Works for me. 

I just don't like a Doctor wearing a costume. It's as contrived as Colin Bakers clown suit.

• Love 2

Ouch.  I don't see Colin Baker.  I think it is more in line with the fashions of 3-5 and the color scheme is a bit like Tom Baker's.  I think it is great and hope it means we won't always have episodes written in ALL CAPS because they are the most significant and angsty ever!

• Love 1
On 1/14/2018 at 1:17 PM, HauntedBathroom said:

Oh dear. Still, it seems it was mostly the colour of her trousers she came up with, not the 'Mork from Ork' vibes.

Mork is all I see there. I don't really care about what the Doctor wears, but that has cheesy references to my childhood. Will take some getting used to. 

• Love 1

Last weekend, I saw Simon Fraser at the MoCCA Arts Festival. He does art on one of the DW books, he did two sketches in the past for me (Delgado-era Master, Susan), and I decided not to wait until the new season airs. What do you guys think?

doctor-13.jpg.493f6e4c2c7db8e1beac46acd44e4238.jpg

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 4

Eh. The stories centering on Ten and Eleven were good, and we get Seven and Ace in the run-up to the upcoming miniseries.

Seriously, has production begun on the next season?

I tell myself “real” fans wouldn’t be toxic. Converts from 2005 and beyond would be open to a leading woman, old schoolers would remember speculation in the mid-Eighties. “Surely,” I say aloud to no one, “this fandom wouldn’t protest in droves based on the actress’s gender.” Naive AF, right?

• Love 3