Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Hooked

Drogo
  • Start Topic

The three remaining teams scramble for a long-term advantage. One pair runs themselves ragged with an elaborate shelter build, while another hazards the freezing Pacific waters on their own small craft.

(edited)

The Butt Brothers are gonna be the first Alone death(s).  Let's take a bets on starvation, infection, or murder.

And next week it looks like the boat sinks.  Really none of the boats ever produced on this show led to catching (we missed S3, so I'm only basing my supposition on Mitch, Lucas, Jose & Mike).  Now Mitch's leaf boat was only to go from place A to place B, and the SS Barbara was strictly for fun,

Can we just award both Brooke/Dave and Pete/Sam co-winners for being all kinds of adorable?

That cabin was very impressive for one week's work, but I'm concerned abt expending so much energy, when I can't see this going much longer than 6 weeks.  Esp since I thought I saw a preview early in the season of Brooke collapsing.

Go Pete!  Though I coulda swore Sam had caught a few fish.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 6
(edited)

The B Brothers:

I guess I'm mean, but I wanted their boat to sink.

They could use a better shelter.  That thing is pathetic.  No fire to dry out the socks.  Dumb.

This trotline deployment is hilarious.  There will be a fight eventually.  Don't they have a first aid kit and some neosporin or something?

Brooke and Dave:

The cabin is amazing.  I guess we will see if the gamble pays off.

That fireplace is insanely huge!

"Nuts in danger!"  LOL

Now they can turn their full attention to finding some food.  It's in the bag if they can do that.

Pete and Sam:

I don't think that sea lion is going to attack them.  Dude has a degree in fisheries?  He seems pretty clueless.

Yet another lost fish.....  I'm glad dad is enjoying his son and they are getting along so well.  Cool, then he scores a nice fish.

Not sure they have a lot of staying power.  Pete is getting weak.  Shelter looks flimsy.

eta:  Where are the gill nets people?

Edited by PaperTree
  • Love 9
(edited)

Hey!! History.com finally listed the items each team chose.  Just click on the pair and scroll to the bottom.  

ie:  Brooke and Dave:

http://www.history.com/shows/alone/cast/brooke-and-dave-whipple

Interesting.  Looks like Brooke and Dave chose only hooks and line from the hunting items.  By contrast, Ted and Jim chose hooks and line, a gillnet, a bow and arrows AND trapping wire.  No wonder they could only choose one ration and one tarp.    

Edited by MostlyContent
  • Love 3

Well heck.  Might as well just list them.  lol!  

Here are the ten items Brooke and Dave selected to bring on their survival journey to Vancouver Island:

Bow saw

Pot – vintage aluminum coffee pot, 2 quarts

Tarp – 12′ x 12′

Bar of Soap

Rations

Ax – full-sized felling ax

Tarp – 12′ x 12′

Fishing line and hooks

Pan

Rations

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are the ten items Pete and Sam selected to bring on their survival journey to Vancouver Island:

Tarp – 12′ x 12′

Fishing line and hooks – 50 yards of 40 lb. test and 250 yards of 20 lb. test

Gillnet – 12′ x 4′

Trapping wire – 3.5 lb. gauge

Rations

Tarp – 12′ x 12′

Paracord – 500 lb. Rated

Saw – folding saw, 14″ blade

Ax – 26″ all-steel ax

Pot – 2 quarts, stainless steel

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are the ten items Ted and Jim selected to bring on their survival journey to Vancouver Island:

Saw – crosscut teeth

Bow and arrows – recurve bow, 50+ lb. draw

Gillnet

Tarp – 12′ x 12′

Trapping wire

Fishing line and hooks

Pot – titanium

Multitool

Rations

Ax – painted orange

• Love 2
(edited)

Bow and arrows have turned out to be useless on this show.

That cabin is freakin' awesome. I can't believe the other two teams have such sh*tty shelters. They've done nothing to improve them from what I can see.

Everytime I see the brothers, I think of SCTV's McKenzie Bros. I do the Great White North "Koo-oook-oook-oook-oook-oook-ooo-ooo"  theme when they appear.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

The Butt Brothers are gonna be the first Alone death(s).  Let's take a bets on starvation, infection, or murder.

And next week it looks like the boat sinks.  Really none of the boats ever produced on this show led to catching (we missed S3, so I'm only basing my supposition on Mitch, Lucas, Jose & Mike).  Now Mitch's leaf boat was only to go from place A to place B, and the SS Barbara was strictly for fun,

Can we just award both Brooke/Dave and Pete/Sam co-winners for being all kinds of adorable?

That cabin was very impressive for one week's work, but I'm concerned abt expending so much energy, when I can't see this going much longer than 6 weeks.  Esp since I thought I saw a preview early in the season of Brooke collapsing.

Lucas' boat worked fine he was taking it to another spot and getting clams and things. He wan't trying to fish from it. 

next week will require some new design of the cabin.

also have 2 ferro rods and two knives and two sets of camera tarps, unless that was taken when they merged. . 

as far as what they scavanged the whipples and the bairds both got net. the bairds used it for a crab trap and the whipples are possibly building a gill net or fishing somethings with floats. .

Edited by holly4755
  • Love 2

The stupid Baird Bros bickering makes for terrible TV... listening to them act so juvenile really kills the spirit of the show.

Pete and Sam talking and chuckling in their sleeping bags was the right tone, in contrast, are the 2 butt heads brothers arguing about the hooks.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Everytime I see the brothers, I think of SCTV's McKenzie Bros. I do the Great White North "Koo-oook-oook-oook-oook-oook-ooo-ooo"  theme when they appear.

Ya hoser!  ;-)

OK - we finally have a freakin' cabin!

• Love 8

I was hoping that they would fall through the floor of the boat...

I don't like them. I don't like how they interact and I don't think they have a clue about what they are doing. I get it, they are brothers and they fight. But it grates and I really don't want to watch them fight. I don't watch this show for this type of idiocy.

Brooke and Dave built an impressive shelter, complete with chinking and a fire place. Awesome. I like that they both discussed how risky a move this was and why it was risky. They knew why they were doing it and seemed to enjoy the process even if it was exhausting. And I guess the soap isn't for fun time because they each have their own beds. They were pretty realistic about what they were doing. And they did catch some fish while building but not a lot. I will be interested to see what their next project is. I like how they interact. They are worried about each other and they are not afraid to say that but they back off when the other one tells them to.

Pete and Sam are fun to watch. They interact nicely but I wish they would build a better shelter. They don't need a cabin but something nicer then what they have. Hell, aim for Brooke's first shelter, it would be a massive improvement.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

I was hoping that they would fall through the floor of the boat...

I don't like them. I don't like how they interact and I don't think they have a clue about what they are doing. I get it, they are brothers and they fight. But it grates and I really don't want to watch them fight. I don't watch this show for this type of idiocy.

I recently posted something on Facebook, and my two kids (ages 52 and 50!!!) got into a name-calling contest in the responses ("butthead" and "asswipe").  It was embarrassing to me that they still behave that way towards each other - so much so that I deleted my original post and then sent a private message addressed to both of them, letting them know that I found their comments neither charming or amusing, and instructed them that they were not to continue to behave like little junior-high-aged kids on MY Facebook page.  Daughter apologized; son is still miffed with me.  

I fear the brothers on this show are not ever going to grow up and have an adult sibling relationship, based on personal observation.  And if I don't want to watch my kids behave this way, I sure don't want to watch strangers do it.

• Love 9

Can someone please explain to me why Tweedledee and Tweedledum couldn't use their BOAT to set the trot line? Lord almighty. It's too bad they couldn't select "half a friggin' brain" as one of their ten survival items.

• Love 23

seems like a huge waste of energy by brooke and dave to build the cabin when the first shelter was perfect,all that time could have gone to fishing and food search

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, DNOMAD said:

seems like a huge waste of energy by brooke and dave to build the cabin when the first shelter was perfect,all that time could have gone to fishing and food search

I think it's more of a psychological boost than anything. Having a room to stand in, a bed up off the ground. Makes a world of differerence to your attitude. And as Dave said, they've been doing this sort of thing for years, so I guess it's second-nature to them, where it wouldn't be for others.

• Love 11
9 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Can someone please explain to me why Tweedledee and Tweedledum couldn't use their BOAT to set the trot line? Lord almighty. It's too bad they couldn't select "half a friggin' brain" as one of their ten survival items.

LOL!  I had to remind myself last night - several times - that these guys weren't picked at random to be out there but actually "made the cut" and had apparently shown a high level of bushcraft skills.  It certainly wasn't on display last night.  It's now 3 weeks in and they're still living under a freaking tarp thrown over a pole with 4 open sides!  And why weren't some of those dozen fish they caught earlier dried for later?  Surely you would do that, right?

5 minutes ago, DNOMAD said:

Brooke and Dave are planning to be (and assuming they will need to be) out there several months, and I agree with Dave that having 4 solid walls around you is as much a psychological boost as it is a safety/comfort issue.  (cooksdelight beat me to it!)

• Love 14

I'm REALLY hoping this "fishing episode" is the bottom of the barrel for this season.... my wife and I both mentioned how boring it is to fish...but waaaay more boring to watch someone fish, esp when they're not catching anything (apologies to lovers of fishing).

What we DID witness in this ep was the building of the best shelter in all Alone seasons and one of the best boats built as far as being sea-worthy.

As much as this isn't my fav season....there are 3 very distinctive teams going about the game in their own distinct way. 

The Baird Bros were my pick last week after catching so many fish....but they're façade cracked this week when they talked about the experience approaching "torture".  That's the beginning of Tap Talk...

Should the father/son consider moving camp to where the fish are?  Moves like that are gambles but it could resolve their high tide issue and provide them with the desperately needed food.

Finally...  Do we agree that Brooke and Dave are the best prepped contestants going in that we've ever seen?  The fact that they've built and lived in several cabins over their 18 years together.....in very rustic conditions for years....leads me to believe that food is the only thing keeping them from being their for months, something the others won't be able to manage when it gets cold/snowy in the shelters they currently have.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

You got their names wrong.  It's Tweedledumb and Tweedledumber.  Not sure which is which.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

You got their names wrong.  It's Tweedledumb and Tweedledumber.  Not sure which is which.

Is the moron who hooked himself the same moron who cut himself whittling? Because that one is probably -dumber ;)

• Love 7
(edited)
3 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Is the moron who hooked himself the same moron who cut himself whittling? Because that one is probably -dumber ;)

Is there a target for the number of self-inflicted injuries that will qualify them for an automatic tap???  Maybe he's smarter than we think.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 4

Having grown up with brothers, the brothers don't seem that bad to me. Sure, they can be assholes, but when the one got injured the other one cut the bullshit and shifted into concern right away. If they travel that much together, they must actually like each other. 

Brooke, I can't believe I am saying this but... "Listen to your husband!" I will give her the benefit of the doubt though, with her background, and trust she knows her limits.

Also, what were their rations? Wheaties? Cuz they are still powering through some major hard labor and were not shown eating much. They totally must be going through their rations. They never show contestants eating rations. 

Pete and Sam, too cute. I'm jealous. I never once giggled with my dad.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ethalfrida said:

Do you all think the Bros were selected because of their dysfunction?

Absolutely. The producers probably rubbed their hands together with glee when they got their application, because somewhere it probably said "we argue a lot and call each other asshole all the time."

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Absolutely. The producers probably rubbed their hands together with glee when they got their application, because somewhere it probably said "we argue a lot and call each other asshole all the time."

Exactly, because they FORGOT the premise of this show and what made it appointment TV during Season 1. Two people means that they talk extensively, constantly about their hunger. When people were alone, they talked about hunger, but they also talked about a lot of other things. 

• Love 10
(edited)
2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Having grown up with brothers, the brothers don't seem that bad to me.

I grew up with a bunch of brothers and boy cousins. To this day (many, many years later) we annoy the crap out of each other and bicker BUT we don't talk to each other the way the Baird boys do. It doesn't even seem like they like each other very much.

The Sam & Dad giggling was very cute. (I miss my dad {making a sad face})

Last night's show was pretty boring. Way too much time spent on people standing around and NOT catching fish. Oh wow, that's so riveting. Please Alone Producers, give us more of the scenes of NOT catching fish.

Edited by zibnchy
remembered some stuff i wanted to say.
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, roamyn said:

There used to be an old cartoon of two guys stranded on a desert island and they both start looking at each other like food.  One starts looking like a hot dog and the other starts looking like a hamburger.   Well, for some reason I see the butt bros eating each other before tapping out, because they seem just that bright.  When they were setting the line I almost felt like the music from the Three Stooges was playing in the background.

16 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

The stupid Baird Bros bickering makes for terrible TV... listening to them act so juvenile really kills the spirit of the show.

Pete and Sam talking and chuckling in their sleeping bags was the right tone, in contrast, are the 2 butt heads brothers arguing about the hooks.

9 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I recently posted something on Facebook, and my two kids (ages 52 and 50!!!) got into a name-calling contest in the responses ("butthead" and "asswipe").  It was embarrassing to me that they still behave that way towards each other - so much so that I deleted my original post and then sent a private message addressed to both of them, letting them know that I found their comments neither charming or amusing, and instructed them that they were not to continue to behave like little junior-high-aged kids on MY Facebook page.  Daughter apologized; son is still miffed with me.  

I fear the brothers on this show are not ever going to grow up and have an adult sibling relationship, based on personal observation.  And if I don't want to watch my kids behave this way, I sure don't want to watch strangers do it.

I can hardly believe I am listening to a couple of grown ass men in their thirties.  There are 12 year olds with more maturity.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, PaperTree said:

I don't think that sea lion is going to attack them.  Dude has a degree in fisheries?  He seems pretty clueless.

VERY clueless! The Seal lion is curious and that is his hunting group - THAT is why there are no fish!!!

Morons

• Love 7

I rewatched with my fiance tonight, and I noticed the big net that Ted has in the boat for part of the seat. IN THE BOAT!!! Not out in the water, being useful. Sometimes I wonder about people, especially those two. My better half fishes a lot, and he rolled laughing when Ted hooked himself. He pronounced them dumb and I told him he should come read in here.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Can someone please explain to me why Tweedledee and Tweedledum couldn't use their BOAT to set the trot line?

I didn't understand this at all.  It only made complete sense to tie one end of the line off at the shore, take the boat out and drop the end with the rock overboard.   I can't stand those two lummoxes and every time I see their  half-assed tarp propped on sticks "shelter" it pisses me off even more.  My husband and were chanting "Sink, sink, sink!" the whole time they were in the boat.

• Love 13
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Mocking Bird said:

those two lummoxes 

Rolling on the floor laughing.. (still rolling on the floor laughing)... fits them so perfectly!

Edited by ethalfrida
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, DNOMAD said:

I don't think it was a waste of energy. They intend to stay for a while.

• Love 5
(edited)

I am SO ready for the Fart Twins to go home (they're giant farts made flesh so that's what I call them). Really I was ready for them to go home weeks ago.  I was hoping Sneaky the sea lion would swim over and flip their boat.

So Brooke and Dave, who had an awesome shelter, make an even more awesome shelter.  Nice work.  Now stock up on the food before the fish all go away to their winter hidey holes, as they're already starting to do.

Hope pop and cub last a while longer, they're cute together.  I'd be happy with either them or B&D winning, just as long as the winners aren't giant farts.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

I'd be happy with either them or B&D winning, just as long as the winners aren't giant farts.

Yeah, the Bairds definitely look like the villains for this season.  I'm personally rooting for the Whipples, but I'd be cool with the father/son duo winning also.

The Bairds' boat has already floated more than I thought it would.

I'm concerned about the Whipples comment that building the cabin was a gamble.  Usually when someone takes a gamble on this show, it doesn't end well - Jose's boat, for example.  In the previews next week they show them having a chimney fire, and Dave talking about quitting.  I hope they don't lose their cabin.

• Love 3
(edited)
14 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I rewatched with my fiance tonight, and I noticed the big net that Ted has in the boat for part of the seat. IN THE BOAT!!! Not out in the water, being useful. Sometimes I wonder about people, especially those two. My better half fishes a lot, and he rolled laughing when Ted hooked himself. He pronounced them dumb and I told him he should come read in here.

14 hours ago, Mocking Bird said:

I didn't understand this at all.  It only made complete sense to tie one end of the line off at the shore, take the boat out and drop the end with the rock overboard.   I can't stand those two lummoxes and every time I see their  half-assed tarp propped on sticks "shelter" it pisses me off even more.  My husband and were chanting "Sink, sink, sink!" the whole time they were in the boat.

Usually when people make stupid mistakes on this show, I blame it on the starvation.  However, I have a feeling this is just the way these guys roll, regardless of anything else.  If these two beat the other two comparatively much more competent teams, I think we hear loud screams of "NOOOOOOOOO!" across the country.

Brook and Dave are the type of couple that just glow around each other.  This is really theirs to lose, though they probably have no idea about that at this time.  They have it in their head that all the other teams of big strong guys are going to be there for months, so they need to hunker down for the long haul.  I wish they both had come to this with more fat on their frames, but it is probably hard for people to get fat living the subsistence lifestyle they do in Alaska.

Brook and Dave could probably be on "Life below Zero", after this show is over.  If they do win, it will be interesting to see what they do with the money (my guess is buying land and putting aside money for kid's college funds.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 9
(edited)

The show sucks this season, but the threads are on fire! Reading the snark is the best part of the season for me.

Tarp Brothers are just clueless. Wet socks, open shelter. Is their idea of "roughing it" no wireless?

Pete and Sam are so much fun to watch. Pete saying he was thrilled to get this time with his son? That made the show for me, well that and Sneaky the Sea lion.

Brooke and Dave for the win. Carving the hearth? Mic drop. They tore down a shelter that Tarp Bros could only dream of.

Edited by dbell1
Typing on a Kindle sucks.
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

Brook and Dave are the type of couple that just glow around each other.  This is really theirs to lose, though they probably have no idea about that at this time

I admire Brook's tenacity, but she seems intent on burning a lot of calories out there.  If she loses too much weight the medics will pull her.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, rmontro said:

I admire Brook's tenacity, but she seems intent on burning a lot of calories out there.  If she loses too much weight the medics will pull her.

47 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

And once again, we'll have someone who busts their ass to build a home...then leave before winning.

The irony is that if the couple loses it will because Brooke beat herself, not because another team outperformed them.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, dbell1 said:

Tarp Brothers are just clueless. Wet socks, open shelter. Is their idea of "roughing it" no wireless?

Talk about not being able to think yourself out of a paper bag! Here's any idea: Why not put some sticks near the fire and hang your socks and your boots upside down so they will dry out? Yeah, too complicated for the Ginger Bros., eh? Did they ever resolve the baiting of the crab trap? Guess it didn't matter because they lost it the trap anyway. A couple of maroons.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Did they ever resolve the baiting of the crab trap?

Or as I hear it, their "crob trop".

On 7/28/2017 at 9:46 AM, AZChristian said:

AKA Beavis and Butthead. *snicker*

• Love 3

Does anybody know how many episodes this is supposed to run?

13 seems to be the usual number, so we would be just over halfway.

Just thought!  No appearance of Brooke's wolf this week (or I missed it).

• Love 1
10 hours ago, rmontro said:

That pissed me off so much last season! Better not happen again.

• Love 3