Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: The After Show, Part 2

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Barb23 said:

What do we think about that all (or most) of  the sibs using "Lovey" as a nickname/endearment?

When I hear "Lovey" all I can think of is Mrs. Howell from Gilligan's Island.

Lovies to me are well loved children's blankets or stuff animals and the like. And now that you mention it - Mr Howell.

Jessa was not happy that Jill started that trend and Jessa is a follower.

• Love 7

My daughter couldn't fall asleep last night so I put on the episode. It's really perfect for my kids...

Anyway, I watched Jessa again.  Wow is she one stressed and tense young woman. So overly concerned about looking foolish, giving all the right answers and having the right image.  I felt sorry for her. Yet another way that Michelle and Jim Bob have messed up a child. 

• Love 12

They did get the ice cream question right. But how hard is it to forget the most boring of all flavors? My husband doesn't really eat sweets, but I marched into the den and asked him if his favorite ice cream was rocky road, which is hard to find these days. He affirmed this, and we didn't even set it up! ?

• Love 8
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Well thank you @humbleopinion for that eye opener! 

Sorry I didn't explain my "nike" snarky comment!  Just got back on the boards today.

Oh yes, lots of discussion over the years on the show about "Nike" women and situations.  When the show was just starting, the older girls all explained how they protect the brothers by yelling "nike".  The whole thing is so freaking disturbing. 

So, it seems to me, that the entire show is completely Nike at this point.  :)  Between the dry humping, side straddling a dick, Jinger wearing pants (which was nike for them), the constant sex talk, not to mention the disgusting Josh situation.  This Duggar modesty is X rated. 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Barb23 said:

What do we think about that all (or most) of  the sibs using "Lovey" as a nickname/endearment?

If they're at a Dugg event and someone yells out "Baaaaabe" or "Lovey", half the place will come running.  (Well, maybe not come running, cuz they don't exert, but look up from their I-phones.)

Now "Babe" and "Lovey" join my hate list along with slouchy cardigans, denim skirts, and infinity scarves.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Barb23 said:

When I hear "Lovey" all I can think of is Mrs. Howell from Gilligan's Island.

I hear Lovey and it makes me think of a book I read years ago about an abused, emotionally unstable child. As a term of endearment between adults it sounds weird to me. (Having said that, I mostly only ever call people by their name, no matter how much I love them, so honeys, babes and loveys are wasted on me).

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

They did get the ice cream question right. But how hard is it to forget the most boring of all flavors? My husband doesn't really eat sweets, but I marched into the den and asked him if his favorite ice cream was rocky road, which is hard to find these days. He affirmed this, and we didn't even set it up! ?

I forgot about the ice cream question.  Didn't Benessa get the question correct, both of them answering vanilla?  I thought at least one of them loved mint chocolate chip (or another flavor) that Sierra had to get for their wedding ice cream. I'm thinking it was Ben.  I think Joe & Kendra answered with mint chocolate chip.  Just thought it weird they made a big thing of having to have their favorite flavors at their wedding & now a few years later they choose vanilla   I could be wrong about the whole thing.

Oh, I just thought of something.  Maybe "vanilla" was one of their prearranged answers & Ben actually remembered & got it correct!  Those sneaky two.....

• Love 4
(edited)

Yeah, that was kind of my point. Vanilla was the only pre-planned answer that they anticipated that  Ben remembered. LOL

JoStin were the mint chocolate chip couple. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

I forgot about the ice cream question.  Didn't Benessa get the question correct, both of them answering vanilla?  I thought at least one of them loved mint chocolate chip (or another flavor) that Sierra had to get for their wedding ice cream. I'm thinking it was Ben.  I think Joe & Kendra answered with mint chocolate chip.  Just thought it weird they made a big thing of having to have their favorite flavors at their wedding & now a few years later they choose vanilla   I could be wrong about the whole thing.

Oh, I just thought of something.  Maybe "vanilla" was one of their prearranged answers & Ben actually remembered & got it correct!  Those sneaky two.....

Great memory - "... and the groom requested mint chocolate-chip ice cream for his sundae (the bride chose chocolate)."

Neither chose vanilla.

http://greatideas.people.com/2014/11/06/jessa-duggar-wedding-dessert-details/

• Love 6

Vanilla is apparently easier to remember when anticipating questions for a matching game. ?

How sad that they don't even remember Ben's preference for his own wedding. As Trump would tweet, #sad!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

Jessa went to the trouble of coaching her man-child, and he still managed to embarrass her. 

I was surprised no one called her out for cheating. I would have. 

• Love 12
(edited)

I don't know why I find it sad that Jessa tried to coordinate her answers with Ben prior to filming the segment. It's just a silly game, but she cane off very tense and nervous that they wouldn't have perfectly aligned answers. I think she was also bothered by the fact that it was implied she got "Lovey" from her own sister - not a big deal, kid. Plus she seemed very embarrassed by the brief weight discussion. I bet that entire segment was very uncomfortable for her.

I don't care about Joy and Austin's PDA. She honestly seems happier now than she has been in a while and that makes me happy for her.

Jinger/Jeremy and Joy/Austin have very natural chemistry.

I thought Jeremy's answer that Jinger doubts herself was delicately handled. I'm not surprised the Duggar girls have self-esteem issues...I doubt they've ever been empowered by their parents. It really shouldn't be left to the spouses to empower them, but it looks like Jeremy and Ben try to do just that.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 14
24 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Vanilla is apparently easier to remember when anticipating questions for a matching game. ?

How sad that they don't even remember Ben's preference for his own wedding. As Trump would tweet, #sad!

Oh, I think he remembered the rehearsed answers. He just decided not to go along with it. Probably figured he was safe if it was being filmed.

Seriously, that reminds me that people are worried about Jeremy controlling Jinger. He seems waaaaaaay less controlling than Jessa. 

• Love 9

Jessa really, really looked very controlling last night.  Jessa did not present well last night at all. She clearly hated all Ben's answers and was so uncomfortable with everything. I bet they had an epic fight over the "weight" answer. 

• Love 9
On 7/25/2017 at 0:06 PM, Genevrier said:

Hey Jim Bob, 19x5=95. 

Ikr? Why do they always make themselves look stupid?  "Well if all of our children have 5 children that will be over a hundred" It's pretty simple math Jim Bob!!

• Love 4
19 hours ago, MissHavisham said:

I heard the dirty diaper comment the same way Jeremy did. I too was wondering why they would change a clean diaper. It's not clean if it's wet.

I heard it as Jeremy did too MissSavisham and noticed how they all jumped on him trying to make him look like a fool  making fun of the fact that he was the youngest so "how would he know about diapers? LOLOLOL." 

It's classic Psychology 101. Jeremy is older, better-looking, and obviously more intelligent so they have to make fun of him at every possible opportunity so they can feel superior.

PS Apparently no one in the Duggar clan could end the statement about changing clean/dirty diapers with such vulgar words as "poopy" or "soiled" or "have solid waste". Pretty consistent with what Marigold said:

The Duggar kidults are lacking creativity and can't even come up with a unique nickname for their spouse. 

...or for poop.

Larado actually may turn out to be too close for comfort for Jeremy and Jing. I'm sure he didn't appreciate being made fun of for responding appropriately to more inappropriate Duggar behavior.

• Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, trimthatfat said:

I don't see anything wrong with the fact that they all use the same pet names. But Jessa bristling about how she may have gotten the name from Jill...girl, have a margarita or two and loosen up. 

Princess Prickly Pear rears her sharp-tounged head (even though she wasn't OPENLY snarky...she's stealth, that one). Motherhood has NOT taken all of the venom out of her sting. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2

When this was filmed, Jessa and Ben had a 19 month old and a 4 month old.  I'm sure they are exhausted and are still adjusting to life being about the boys who depend on them for everything. Jessa is controlling and obviously felt they should know the most about each othe, since they've been married the longest. In reality, the couples with no kids have more time to talk and focus on each other and their relationships. 

I thought Joy and Austin came across as a normal(ish) young couple in love. They and Jeremy/jinger seem to be challenging their spouses to be better versions of themselves, which gives hope for their futures. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Marigold said:

Jessa really, really looked very controlling last night.  Jessa did not present well last night at all. She clearly hated all Ben's answers and was so uncomfortable with everything. I bet they had an epic fight over the "weight" answer. 

This. I was actually started to turn towards Jessa a bit more as the series went and especially after the Henry episode where she came off as human. After these two shows? Nope. I'm back to eye rolling at her. I can't even say hate---I doubt there is anyone on this planet who hates Jessa as much as Jessa herself. It's sad. 

• Love 8

Jessa was also put in the role of family organizer from a very young age. I imagine that small bit of control gave her some self esteem, well, that and her looks, and she's been coasting on being the controlling mean girl ever since. Of course, now her object of control has shifted from Jinger and the younger siblings to Ben, and I guess that's why we don't see as much of it other than these settings in which she doesn't have complete control. 

Ben's such a weak reed that I doubt he even minds being the beta in that relationship as long as he gets laid every now and then. I bet Ben got laid into about mentioning Jessa being hard on herself about her weight. If they hadn't had a good ole knockdown dragout screaming match before, bringing up a woman's weight issues on national television might provoke one. 

• Love 7
(edited)
5 hours ago, trose said:

I heard it as Jeremy did too MissSavisham and noticed how they all jumped on him trying to make him look like a fool  making fun of the fact that he was the youngest so "how would he know about diapers? LOLOLOL." 

It's classic Psychology 101. Jeremy is older, better-looking, and obviously more intelligent so they have to make fun of him at every possible opportunity so they can feel superior.

PS Apparently no one in the Duggar clan could end the statement about changing clean/dirty diapers with such vulgar words as "poopy" or "soiled" or "have solid waste". Pretty consistent with what Marigold said:

...or for poop.

Larado actually may turn out to be too close for comfort for Jeremy and Jing. I'm sure he didn't appreciate being made fun of for responding appropriately to more inappropriate Duggar behavior.

Yeah, that's a familiar one (I, for example, have a big vocabulary and most of the dullards in my hometown, do not.  I would get made fun of for using "fancy" words often, and sometimes even from amongst the fellow students in my advanced classes, some of whom grew up to be lawyers and doctors, so it wasn't wholly a question of them all being stupid.  It apparently just made them insecure that I wasn't afraid to use words like "exegesis" in class discussions, which, hey; I know them, and I know what they mean.  It always struck me as that it would be stupider to run around consciously dumbing down my speech.).

2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jessa was also put in the role of family organizer from a very young age. I imagine that small bit of control gave her some self esteem, well, that and her looks, and she's been coasting on being the controlling mean girl ever since. Of course, now her object of control has shifted from Jinger and the younger siblings to Ben, and I guess that's why we don't see as much of it other than these settings in which she doesn't have complete control. 

Ben's such a weak reed that I doubt he even minds being the beta in that relationship as long as he gets laid every now and then. I bet Ben got laid into about mentioning Jessa being hard on herself about her weight. If they hadn't had a good ole knockdown dragout screaming match before, bringing up a woman's weight issues on national television might provoke one. 

I dunno, I kind of found Jessa being conscientious about her seven pounds, made me think better of her.  It seemed better to me than being one of those "gain ten pounds every year through sheer attrition and don't worry until it turns to fifty" laggards, like me.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 1

I just read this article: https://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2017/03/ben-seewald-net-worth-is-jessa-duggars-husband-broke/

I don't know if it's true or not, but it says Ben doesn't have a job at all.  It goes on to say that Jessa was paid $400,000 for season 3.  I assume Jill got the same and the other Duggars got smaller amounts.

This family is so jacked up.  Jim Bob makes this big production about future sons-in-law being able to provide for his daughters and he ENCOURAGED the relationship between a non-employed 18-year-old kid and his I-wanna-get-married-right-now daughter.  Insane!  It looks like Austin and Jeremy have jobs/careers.  After all, Jeremy was living independently before he met Jinger.  Austin, while probably still living at home but had flipped five or six houses before he proposed.  I don't know what Derek is up to.  He looks like he's too sick to even work and he wants to go back to Central America knowing his fragile wife cannot handle it.  He is so selfish.  And she's an idiot to follow this clown knowing she's terrified of living there.  Let him go for the two years or however he wants to stay.  I don't think your marriage will suffer.  It might it even make it stronger if you only see each other every two or three months for a while.  You're more than a baby-making machine Jill.  You're a woman in your own right.  While he's away, concentrate on raising your boys and maybe take some community college classes.  Who am I kidding?  I know that won't happen but I hope so for her sake.

• Love 9
22 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

I   I don't know what Derek is up to.  He looks like he's too sick to even work and he wants to go back to Central America knowing his fragile wife cannot handle it.  He is so selfish.  And she's an idiot to follow this clown knowing she's terrified of living there.  Let him go for the two years or however he wants to stay.  I don't think your marriage will suffer.  It might it even make it stronger if you only see each other every two or three months for a while.  You're more than a baby-making machine Jill.  You're a woman in your own right.  While he's away, concentrate on raising your boys and maybe take some community college classes.  Who am I kidding?  I know that won't happen but I hope so for her sake.

Nailed it!  Both Derick and Jill are selfish children.  He wants to grift and hang out in Central America and she wants to stay home and have everyone do everything for her.  No united front with these two.   Spoiled children that were no where close to being ready to get married and adult, and now they've dragged 2 innocent children into their nightmare.

• Love 12
55 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

I just read this article: https://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2017/03/ben-seewald-net-worth-is-jessa-duggars-husband-broke/

I don't know if it's true or not, but it says Ben doesn't have a job at all.  It goes on to say that Jessa was paid $400,000 for season 3.  I assume Jill got the same and the other Duggars got smaller amounts.

This family is so jacked up.  Jim Bob makes this big production about future sons-in-law being able to provide for his daughters and he ENCOURAGED the relationship between a non-employed 18-year-old kid and his I-wanna-get-married-right-now daughter.  Insane!  It looks like Austin and Jeremy have jobs/careers.  After all, Jeremy was living independently before he met Jinger.  Austin, while probably still living at home but had flipped five or six houses before he proposed.  I don't know what Derek is up to.  He looks like he's too sick to even work and he wants to go back to Central America knowing his fragile wife cannot handle it.  He is so selfish.  And she's an idiot to follow this clown knowing she's terrified of living there.  Let him go for the two years or however he wants to stay.  I don't think your marriage will suffer.  It might it even make it stronger if you only see each other every two or three months for a while.  You're more than a baby-making machine Jill.  You're a woman in your own right.  While he's away, concentrate on raising your boys and maybe take some community college classes.  Who am I kidding?  I know that won't happen but I hope so for her sake.

I'd much rather she stay home and get some therapy. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Evagirl said:

I still think, not to defend Derrick, that Jill refuses to tell him what she wants.  I still think she answers most questions with, "Whatever you want, dear.". I think it frustrates Derrick to no end.  Doesn't make him less of an ass for not seeing something is wrong, but there you are.

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

I still think, not to defend Derrick, that Jill refuses to tell him what she wants.  I still think she answers most questions with, "Whatever you want, dear.". I think it frustrates Derrick to no end.  Doesn't make him less of an ass for not seeing something is wrong, but there you are.

My mother (as far away from fundie as anyone could get) would say to my father "If I have to tell you, it's no good". Direct quote and she meant it.  And he was far from clairvoyant.  Even as a child I knew this was wacko.  Maybe Jill takes this approach too.He should know without her telling.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

My mother (as far away from fundie as anyone could get) would say to my father "If I have to tell you, it's no good". Direct quote and she meant it.  And he was far from clairvoyant.  Even as a child I knew this was wacko.  Maybe Jill takes this approach too.He should know without her telling.

I also think Jill is a true believer in her father's religion.  I believe she thinks her husband should make all the decisions (With Jim Bob's approval).  I don't think Derrick grew up with a mom who was afraid of making decisions for herself and therefore gets quite frustrated with his wife.

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

• Love 9

Jim Bob found a crunchy, curly hippie man for his hippie daughter.  He found a mild, athletic man for his bossy, cheerleader daughter.  He found a confident man for his low self esteem daughter and he found a man with a strong personality for his headstrong, spirited daughter.  And he didn't bother to look any further.

• Love 5

Do we really think Jessa was paid $400,000 dollars for one season? It seems unlikely and if it were true, why would the pair of them still be living in the tiny house with their babies? 

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, Genevrier said:

Do we really think Jessa was paid $400,000 dollars for one season? It seems unlikely and if it were true, why would the pair of them still be living in the tiny house with their babies? 

Because the tiny little house is free.   After taxes that $400K won't go very far if they sunk it in a nice size house with nice size utilities.  What would they do if the show wasn't renewed?  How would they make the monthly note?  I think Jessa is probably saving most of whatever they make because she's smart enough to know that sooner or later County On will end.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Genevrier said:

TLC counts their seasons differently, but given how much the pie has to be divided, I doubt Jessa gets $400k/season. Maybe half that. Still sizable for the majority of us, given that she gets two of those checks a year. 

• Love 7
(edited)
4 hours ago, Evagirl said:

How can Ben not be paid for appearing on the show? This site is not exactly credible. On the other hand, that filming is their only source of income isn't surprsing. 

Also Joy and Austin seem more together than Ben and Jessa, but they're newlyweds with no small children yet. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1

I finally watched.  The only thing that really struck me was the question where we found out Bin is afraid of GMO's, germs, etc and the story about the peanut butter at TTH with the skull and crossbones he drew to warn people its icky.  I imagine there is a lot of gross food where dirty fingers have been stuck in them and just how gross the whole place must be (plus Josie must have licked it all down).  I imagine he had a hard time living there.  And to eat there?  It must have given him anxiety as well as GI problems.  I get it.  

• Love 12
(edited)

From my experience you can believe the supposed salaries the rags post just as much as you can believe that Jana was dating Tim Tebow. 

Edited by Absolom
Missed a letter.
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, flyingdi said:

Jim Bob found a crunchy, curly hippie man for his hippie daughter.  He found a mild, athletic man for his bossy, cheerleader daughter.  He found a confident man for his low self esteem daughter and he found a man with a strong personality for his headstrong, spirited daughter.  And he didn't bother to look any further.

I don't think JB found any of the husbands. I think they all went after the daughters. Maybe with Derick he steered him toward Jill because of similar day dreams, but Derick initiated the original contact with JB. And even with Austin it appears that Joy spent less time "praying on it" and more time passively pursuing him. I still think JB didn't want Jessa to marry Ben. I think if JB could have actually chose husbands for his daughters they'd be more like the Bates in-laws Chad and Brandon. Austin seems to be, so far, the most like them.

• Love 2

Yeah, that'd be, what... 40K an episode for Jessa alone?  That seems unlikely, to say the least.  These are 2012 prices, for example:

Mariah Carey (American Idol): $17 million per season
Howard Stern (America's Got Talent): $15 million per season
Pauly DelVecchio (Jersey Shore): $175,000 per episode
Betty White (Off Their Rockers): $50,000 per episode
Landry Family (Swamp People): $25,000 per episode

Comparatively, a baby scripted lead (Arrow's Stephen Amell) got $30,000/episode from the WB, and he had to learn lines and actually emote.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/tvs-highest-paid-stars-1051754/

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

I finally watched.  The only thing that really struck me was the question where we found out Bin is afraid of GMO's, germs, etc and the story about the peanut butter at TTH with the skull and crossbones he drew to warn people its icky.  I imagine there is a lot of gross food where dirty fingers have been stuck in them and just how gross the whole place must be (plus Josie must have licked it all down).  I imagine he had a hard time living there.  And to eat there?  It must have given him anxiety as well as GI problems.  I get it.  

Well..I suppose for having had such a tough start, Josie must have the immune system of an ox, or cockroach, or something by now!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't think JB found any of the husbands. I think they all went after the daughters. Maybe with Derick he steered him toward Jill because of similar day dreams, but Derick initiated the original contact with JB. And even with Austin it appears that Joy spent less time "praying on it" and more time passively pursuing him. I still think JB didn't want Jessa to marry Ben. I think if JB could have actually chose husbands for his daughters they'd be more like the Bates in-laws Chad and Brandon. Austin seems to be, so far, the most like them.

You are right.  Perhaps I should have used the words "approved of."

• Love 2
17 hours ago, queenanne said:

Yeah, that's a familiar one (I, for example, have a big vocabulary and most of the dullards in my hometown, do not.  I would get made fun of for using "fancy" words often, and sometimes even from amongst the fellow students in my advanced classes, some of whom grew up to be lawyers and doctors, so it wasn't wholly a question of them all being stupid.  It apparently just made them insecure that I wasn't afraid to use words like "exegesis" in class discussions, which, hey; I know them, and I know what they mean.  It always struck me as that it would be stupider to run around consciously dumbing down my speech.).

I speak from experience too. I disowned my entire fundie, cult-y "religious" family who behaved that way and moved 2000 miles away from their nonsense. After a while, I realized I was participating in my own abuse by continuing to associate with such "dullards". Hopefully some of the Duggars will escape too.

• Love 2

$400,000? God damnit that shit pisses me off. What the hell does she (or any of them???) do to deserve that? Seriously gross ?.

On 7/26/2017 at 6:06 PM, MissHavisham said:

Probably figured he was safe if it was being filmed.

Poor kid. I don't think he had a clue what he was getting into. But I also don't totally feel sorry for him.

• Love 2
(edited)

I read somewhere a while back that it costs around $400,000 to film a reality show episode and that the celebrities made anywhere from $2000 - $5000 per episode. However I also read that the celebrities in Real Housewives of ... started out making around $30,000 per episode and some are making substantially more now and they're often sent goody bags with clothing, pocketbooks and other products that the sellers look at as free advertising if the products appear on the show.

The Outdaughtered TLC family is always crying about financial woes yet he supposedly makes $100,000 at his real job and they're starting up a cycle/exercise gym type thing, live in a beautiful home, send their kids to nursery school and shop in boutiques.

Its crazy if these family's are making $400,000 a year for being filmed a couple of days each week. Shit, I'm looking at retirement in the next decade, maybe its time to throw on a jean skirt, pick up a Bible and sell myself and my soul as a late-in-life Fundy. I'm going to pray on it and see what God has in store for me for this next season in life.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 16
(edited)

Jessa and Ben don't really seem to be behaving like a couple who earnt $400,000 in a year. They're not engaged in conspicuous consumption, and they only recently purchased the $100,000 house they live in. No investments or businesses that we know of. 

Smuggar would never have bothered with that D.C. job if TLC were paying that sort of money. 

If we reverse engineer how much the Teen Moms piss away, we'd almost certainly have the upper limit on what Jessa could finagle. 

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 4

Is the $400,00 the lump check for the entire season and then gets split up between cast members? 

I have no idea how these things work.  ;)  Just thinking the $400,00 might be a real number but who gets all of that is inaccurate. 

• Love 4