Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Teatro

• Start Topic

(edited)

Arghhh! I feel like so much opportunity has been neutralized. Dean spilled the beans and I'm very surprised to see Desna didn't instantly go for the jugular with Virginia. I still think a pregnancy aspect can go either way though. Desna, so far, seems to have glossed over Dean's and Virginia's tryst, but how might she feel if a pregnancy was the result? Perhaps we'll see.  This episode was SUCH a soap opera and I was OK with that actually. Personally, I think this show's dramatic element is better than it's comedic, but I continue to appreciate the combination of the two. Good dramatic episode, this one!

Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 3

Ok, I'm tired of these trashy ass people and the Florida shtick has grown old.  I like interesting criminals, but there's not an interesting or competent one in this bunch.  And Polly did confirm that she stole Social Security checks so I hope she gets eaten by a gator.  

I thought I'd stick it out until the end of the season but I'm done.  

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Ok, I'm tired of these trashy ass people and the Florida shtick has grown old.  I like interesting criminals, but there's not an interesting or competent one in this bunch.  And Polly did confirm that she stole Social Security checks so I hope she gets eaten by a gator.  

I thought I'd stick it out until the end of the season but I'm done.  

Wait! You've presumably tolerated this show this far but you can't make to the last two episodes? I have a hunch you'll be back next week.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Syndicate said:

Arghhh! I feel like so much opportunity has been neutralized. Dean spilled the beans and I'm very surprised to see Desna didn't instantly go for the jugular with Virginia. I still think a pregnancy aspect can go either way though. Desna, so far, seems to have glossed over Dean's and Virginia's tryst, but how might she feel if a pregnancy was the result? Perhaps we'll see.  This episode was SUCH a soap opera and I was OK with that actually. Personally, I think this show's dramatic element is better than it's comedic, but I continue to appreciate the combining of the two. Good dramatic episode, this one!

I think she's still reeling over the fact that Roller has shown up alive and was anxious that he would remember whodunnit.  If she survives, she'll deal with Virginia's treacherous dumb ass in due time.

• Love 6

Quite noticeable that there was no preview for next week. We know that there are two episodes left, so me thinks that the final two are so good, that they don't want to spill a thing. Here's hoping at least.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Syndicate said:

Wait! You've presumably tolerated this show this far but you can't make to the last two episodes? I have a hunch you'll be back next week.

Nah.  I'll be watching Breaking Bad reruns instead.  Up until now, I had been switching back and forth between the two shows but now I'll just concentrate on BB.  At least the criminals are more interesting. 

I was laughing my ass off when Uncle Daddy saw Roller floating up the stairs and glowing.  I also laughed when Dean went into detail about Virginia's orgasm and her lack of one before.  This damn show.

I can't believe Roller was faking the amnesia, and still demanded that Desna sleep with him again.  It was good to see the girls worried about what Roller would do.  Was this the first time we've seen Virginia hanging out with the others?

Jenn needs to take her girls and go.  Bryce tasted power, and he won't give it up.  I would be afraid to live with him, especially since he didn't have any remorse about killing the realtors. 

They didn't show any previews, the next episode must be good.

• Love 9
(edited)

Desna is stupid for meeting Roller alone. How could she possibly think he wouldn't get violent with her at the very least? We all know Des  will ultimately be safe, since Niecy is the star and all, but I'm still interested to see where this is going. And once this Roller BS is through, I hope she kicks Virginia's ass. I was surprised she let her "crazy men know how to hit it just right" comment slide.                                      

ETA:Niecy looked fucking gorgeous in that white summer dress. I don't blame Roller for wanting to get with Desna one last time.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

Desna is stupid for meeting Roller alone. How could she possibly think he wouldn't get violent with her at the very least? We all know Des  is ultimately be safe, since Niecy is the star and all, but I'm still interested to see where this is going. And once this Roller BS is through, I hope she kicks Virginia's ass. I was surprised she let her "crazy men know how to hit it just right" comment slide. 

True story!!  One of my issues with this show is that they mess with the characterizations some of their folks, especially Desna.  She isn't dumb.  Why, WHY would she go alone?  She knows he is playing them and lying, and that he knows what she (and Virginia's stupid ass) did to him.

I hate myself for finding Roller kind of cute.  He is the worse and I am ashamed.  

Dr. Ken and Polly...oh, man.  I was with Quiet Ann cackling all the way.

I love the theme parties these trashy people have.  So ghetto fabulous.  

Harold Perineau (sp?) is the best as Dean.  Him explaining orgasms to Desna, Roller, and Virginia was the best part of the episode for me.

• Love 3

I think Roller is quite cute myself, and I find it unfortunate that so many viewers hate him. He's skeevy, and you get the impression that he does really dirty things in bed that can give you pure ecstasy. LOL. But I think he's a great addition to the show, and his character can do and be lots of interesting things storywise.

• Love 9

This ep was such a.. er, roller coaster. 

Roller played Desna that he forgot but it was weird too. Like I'm not sure what to believe, though it's interesting he tried to do the same things to The Russians that Desna has done to The Coonses. Desna and Roller have me so confused cause they play the game so well with each other that I sometimes I wonder if they're fooling themselves. I think Desna wasn't wrong at the end that Roller meant some of what he said to her after his return but at the same time, he's cornered and Desna should know what that is like. She's tougher to read as she says she wants him gone too but her response to him when he had her on top wasn't exactly immune to his words nor actions. Hmmm. I will have to dig around to see if I can find that preview for next week online. 

So Quiet Ann's girlfriend cannot be trusted. That's too bad. 

Why is Doctor boo still around? He is so forgettable and a square peg. When he showed up in the morning, I was like "Oh, you're still here?" I thought it was cute that Dean made pancakes and had Bryce, Jen, and the girls over for a 'family breakfast.'

LOL at Dr. Ken filling up Polly's voicemail with his own rendition of "When Doves Cry."

Jen is right that a ring won't fix what is fracturing her marriage. What also won't help her marriage is her do-si-doing with Hank. Also, Bryce seems to be acclimating to running the clinic so the Bryce vs Roller stuff was intriguing to me.  

Dean spilling that he and Virginia had sex... Desna's response was overwhelming so I hope it's cause she's too focused on figuring out the Roller situation to properly snatch Virginia's wig over screwing Dean. Roller apologizing to Desna for stepping out with Virginia, even if 100% fake, is still more than Virginia has ever offered in remorse to Desna. 

17 minutes ago, Syndicate said:

I think Roller is quite cute myself, and I find it unfortunate that so many viewers hate him.

I disagree. My IRL buddies and my twitter feed are full of folks who don't hate him. They think he's an asshole but they want him to stay around for S2. They enjoy him. 

• Love 1

What were the two beefy guys in tank tops doing at the nail salon?  Manicures? 

So QA's squeeze found a broken nail on Roller's dock.  But I don't recall either Des or VA saying they'd broke a nail, and you'd think that'd be something they'd say right away.  Whose is it?

I don't understand the "Roller working for the Russians" thing.

(edited)
11 minutes ago, LekoBoy said:

But I don't recall either Des or VA saying they'd broke a nail, and you'd think that'd be something they'd say right away.  Whose is it?

Desna lost a nail. In a scene shortly after that, she could be seen filing where the missing nail had been.

Edited by Chick2Chic
spelling
  • Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

This ep was such a.. er, roller coaster. 

Roller played Desna that he forgot but it was weird too. Like I'm not sure what to believe, though it's interesting he tried to do the same things to The Russians that Desna has done to The Coonses. Desna and Roller have me so confused cause they play the game so well with each other that I sometimes I wonder if they're fooling themselves. I think Desna wasn't wrong at the end that Roller meant some of what he said to her after his return but at the same time, he's cornered and Desna should know what that is like. She's tougher to read as she says she wants him gone too but her response to him when he had her on top wasn't exactly immune to his words nor actions. Hmmm. I will have to dig around to see if I can find that preview for next week online. 

So Quiet Ann's girlfriend cannot be trusted. That's too bad. 

Why is Doctor boo still around? He is so forgettable and a square peg. When he showed up in the morning, I was like "Oh, you're still here?" I thought it was cute that Dean made pancakes and had Bryce, Jen, and the girls over for a 'family breakfast.'

LOL at Dr. Ken filling up Polly's voicemail with his own rendition of "When Doves Cry."

Jen is right that a ring won't fix what is fracturing her marriage. What also won't help her marriage is her do-si-doing with Hank. Also, Bryce seems to be acclimating to running the clinic so the Bryce vs Roller stuff was intriguing to me.  

Dean spilling that he and Virginia had sex... Desna's response was overwhelming so I hope it's cause she's too focused on figuring out the Roller situation to properly snatch Virginia's wig over screwing Dean. Roller apologizing to Desna for stepping out with Virginia, even if 100% fake, is still more than Virginia has ever offered in remorse to Desna. 

I disagree. My IRL buddies and my twitter feed are full of folks who don't hate him. They think he's an asshole but they want him to stay around for S2. They enjoy him. 

Oh it's 50/50 at least. Facebook has plenty who hate that he survived Virginia's shooting, and can't seem to stop questioning how he survived that and being burned on the boat. I suspect they won't get any answers of specificity.

Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Syndicate said:

I think Roller is quite cute myself, and I find it unfortunate that so many viewers hate him. He's skeevy, and you get the impression that he does really dirty things in bed that can give you pure ecstasy. LOL. But I think he's a great addition to the show, and his character can do and be lots of interesting things storywise.

I think a lot of people mentioned finding Roller hot in the first episode. True story: a couple of days after the first episode aired, I was shopping in Walmart and there was this dude who looked exactly like Roller. I gave him a glance or two before I remembered that this dude was probably Roller in real life. I quickly purchased my arugula and grapefruit juice and went home.

• Love 14

I have a distant by marriage relative that looks and acts just like Roller. He seems to be successful (throws around a lot of money), kinda hot, but dresses like a minor gangster and uses a lot of early 00's slang: "off the chain", "fo-shizzle". Kinda like an extra tacky Eminem/Vanilla Ice crossover. And yes I live in Florida. These characters are real!

Hilarious. 

• Love 11

Desna is stupid for meeting Roller alone. How could she possibly think he wouldn't get violent with her at the very least?

It will not surprise me if Quiet Anne is just around the corner. 

(Also, the fingernail doesn't bother me. If it belongs to Desna, she could say that she and Roller had sex on the dock. Duh.

As for Roller, the actor just has a "villain" look. In previews for some other show that's premiering soon, he's shown as a skeevy guy being tracked by crowd-sourced detective work.

So what do the Russians have on Roller that he'd been siphoning off funds from the clinic every month? And why didn't they go right to Bryce? Who is turning into a cutthroat (literally) businessman.

It did not surprise me that Desna immediately confessed to the Russian woman that she'd tried to kill Roller. I think the Russians might be the team to bet on here, and they're the only OTHER player with a powerful woman.

I'm getting the popcorn ready for the next 2 weeks.

• Love 1
(edited)

Bwaaah, Dean's orgasm speech was the best scene this episode, I laughed and laughed. HP does a fabulous job in this role, fabulous. Then Roller's face when Dean said that Virginia claimed to never have, had an orgasm, LOL. You know, I don't hate Roller, I simply pointed out that he was in fact at one point raping Virginia, that swamp lady was in fact raping him repeatedly and that I couldn't summon up any empathy for him. I really don't hate nor dislike any character on this show. I came in on this show and quickly came to the conclusion that I wasn't really going to expect character growth, nor good well meaning characters for the most part. I was never expecting these folks to lead safer and healthier lives any time soon, if ever at all. So I don't have a desire to see any character gone, they're all pretty gross because they're living in gross circumstances. Although some, like Desna and Jenn aren't OK with the lifestyle and are constantly trying to reach for something better. 

Uncle Daddy quoting from the bible along with his wife at another  Sodom and Gomorrah party was the second hilarious scene for me.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Desna is stupid for meeting Roller alone. How could she possibly think he wouldn't get violent with her at the very least? We all know Des  will ultimately be safe, since Niecy is the star and all, but I'm still interested to see where this is going. And once this Roller BS is through, I hope she kicks Virginia's ass. I was surprised she let her "crazy men know how to hit it just right" comment slide.                                      

ETA:Niecy looked fucking gorgeous in that white summer dress. I don't blame Roller for wanting to get with Desna one last time.

I wondered about the gynecologist and still think he's an undercover agent.  I was a little shocked at how he turned up at Desna's doorstep during the "family breakfast."  Now, I have to wonder if he is keeping tabs on Desna and will show up at the 11th hour to get her away from Roller before he kills her.

And, I sooooo want Desna to whoop Virginia's ass.  By the time Desna is done, Virginia should spend the next 365 days looking for all 32 of her teeth on every continent.  And, no, Virginia.  The fact that you are a Millennial does not account for your being selfish and trifling.

I so agree about Niecy, whose body is simply amazing.  I have to admit that Roller cleans up pretty well also.

This bunch of trash with money simply slays me with their theme parties.  It's as if Uncle Daddy looked at some pictures in Vanity Fair and figured that rich folks have "white parties," so goddammit, he was going to have one, too, to show how "classy" they are.  What's next?  A rip-off of the Met Gala, where everybody shows up in outrageous costumes?  Although, based on what I've seen so far, that could be any given day of the week.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Keepitmoving said:

I simply pointed out that he was in fact at one point raping Virginia, that swamp lady was in fact raping him repeatedly and that I couldn't summon up any empathy for him. I

I remember there was disagreement on this topic due to the asphyxiation factor being an unknown line for some, so I wouldn't call it a fact but I know there are some opinions it was rape, which mileage varies. Then again, one could also call Virginia a rapist when it comes to Dean since he's special needs and can't truly consent. I am still hoping that Desna goes after Virginia for that when the Roller return situation calms down cause Virginia's "me first" and constant untrustworthy behavior isn't at all cute, no matter how much the show and the official twitter account try to sell it as such. I have a feeling the show will disappointment me there since her screwing over Desna seems to be glossed over post pilot episode. Le sigh. I'd say Desna better hide her Doctor boo from Virginia but I forget he's even there really. I hope he serves some real purpose on the show soon cause I'm still in "why are you here?" status with him in Desna's life.

Toby's padded top and pencil skirt look was interesting. I know he, Juanda, and Clay have a unique relationship. I was a bit surprised he stepped into the hostess role so literally. I like the little bits of Toby that the audience has seen... like an onion peeling as the show goes on and that Claws isn't using him as a punchline. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I remember there was disagreement on this topic due to the asphyxiation factor being an unknown line for some, so I wouldn't call it a fact but I know there are some opinions it was rape, which mileage varies. 

It was rape because she was screaming for him to stop. When she was asphyxiating him the first time Desna caught them , which was at night, when Desna rolled up on his place and saw them on the couch, she had her hand around his throat like he always likes it and was riding him. But then the day he turned a consensual encounter into rape, he had his hand around Virginia's throat, was on top of her, which as far as I'm concerned is not something she was into for herself. He's the one who like to be asphyxiated but when he started to do it to her, she started to scream for him to stop and he didn't until Desna interrupted. That is rape, when someone is asking you to stop and you don't then you are raping them. That wasn't role play, if it was, then Virginia would not have run off the way she did, she would have stood there a lot calmer and not act like Desna had just saved her from role playing a rape. 

I'm still weighing whether what Virginia did with Dean is rape. I think my issue is that he does have a very high IQ, his disability is in his ability to socialize, he has certain ticks and takes things very literally. But he is of age, and he does know what sex is and he does know he wants it. He's not a grown man with the IQ of a third grader, that would be a clear case of rape for me. So, I'm trying to decide whether he's any more vulnerable than your average nerdy, prudish, introverted guy who found himself under  the spell of a Virginia type woman.

On another note, why is Desna's Dr. man still around? I don't get him still being around unless he's undercover or just not a nice guy.  He sure is boring.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

Then again, one could also call Virginia a rapist when it comes to Dean since he's special needs and can't truly consent. 

That doesn't appear to be true. Dean doesn't appear to have a diminished IQ. Dean seems to be on the autism spectrum. However, he's pretty independent. He cooks and cleans. He can bathe himself and handle his ADLs. He takes the bus to home, Desna's nail salon, and the beach. He works out on the beach with his friend/trainer. He got involved with the artist in Art South Beach. He has social processing issues, but by and large they aren't so extreme that a court would give Desna a guardianship over Dean. He doesn't know Hank, the Jewish square dancer, but when Hank said the ladies wanted to discuss women's issues, Dean knew to leave. That's actually a fairly astute reading of social cues. All of this is to say that absent a guardianship, Virginia can have sex with Dean and it wouldn't be rape. Contrarily, Virginia has demonstrated such poor decision-making and self care skills that one could make an argument that she needs a guardian.

• Love 13
46 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

He doesn't know Hank, the Jewish square dancer, but when Hank said the ladies wanted to discuss women's issues, Dean knew to leave.

Are you sure Hank didn't know Dean? I thought all the folks at Nail Artisans knew Hank since he works at a business nearby. I got the feeling Dean knew who Hank was and vice versa by the way Hank cued Dean in on the social cue. I don't see Desna casually sending Dean off with a stranger. I don't think he read the coffee cue at all but only got it when Hank told him point blank. I think Dean has been told in the past when they want to talk women's stuff to leave the room (probably to Desna's office). 

We'll have to disagree on Dean's level. I don't think he's severely limited but considering what he considers a relationship and who he thinks his girlfriend is after a few conversations (pre-sex), he can physically function as a grown man but his emotional level is more like child/teen. I do agree with you about Virginia needing a guardian as there's nothing like watching her think she's the smartest person in the room while being one of the dumbest. I like that Polly looked at her like she was a fool re: The Russians running the Liberian check cashing place and Jen made a comment about it always being about Virginia to Virginia when she made another self-centered comment. 

The 1x09 promo has been uploaded so I will post in the spoilers and spec thread. It didn't air last night when my 9pm ET recording finished so I am glad it was uploaded today. 

• Love 1

I loved Desna chastising Polly for showing off when Polly said Roller didn't "know a Kandinsky from a Kehinde." Polly is very knowledgeable, which is why she's a conwoman. However, she also has a propensity to be showy, flashy, and fabulist, which is why she gets caught. Quiet Ann is the exact opposite. She's obviously very smart and knowledgeable too, but so silent about her past that when she speaks up you're completely caught off guard.

• Love 9

She's obviously very smart and knowledgeable too, but so silent about her past that when she speaks up you're completely caught off guard.

She's edumacated. ;-)

• Love 8

@Mirmommy I think 10-13 episodes is the norm nowadays because shows are more expensive to produce in the past.  Even though Niecy Nash and Dean Norris are considered C-D level celebs, I'm sure there salaries don't run cheap. Also, summer series tend to run shorter and especially a 1st season run. No one wants to risk the cost of producing 22 episodes and have the series get cancelled 3 episodes in. "Claws" was a risky premise, I could see how TNT would only go with 10 eps.

Ok, I'm tired of these trashy ass people and the Florida shtick has grown old

Try living down here LOL. Seriously though, I knew Claws was going to be the TV equivalent to a trashy summer novel. I wasn't expecting layered, high-brow television. I like it for what it is (maybe because all these characters are exaggerated versions of people I've actually known or encountered living here)  and I am going to be back for Season 2.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 6

I knew Roller was lying about the amnesia. I wonder how long he would have played his little game had the Russians not backed him into a corner.  Strangely, I think Roller does love Desna.  His love is toxic and dysfunctional, but it is the love he is capable of. Even knowing he was faking, I actually felt bad for him when Doctor Cause a Coma appeared.  When Roller looked as Desna and said, "Booed up already" he really did seem to be hurt that Desna found someone else.  

I also think that Desna cares more for Roller than she is allowing herself to admit. This is undoubtedly partly due to the nature of their relationship; he clearly wasn't faithful and the relationship likely started as some sort of business deal; and partly because of the nature of what was previouutheir last encounter and the abject terror Desna feels as a result.

i'm on the fence about Desna telling the Russians she was the one who tried to kill Roller.  The truthful story of Roller laying his attempted murder at their feet would have sufficed.  The more people who know the truth, the more Desna people will be beholden to to remain out of jail and Uncle-Daddy's radar.

Bryce has entered the slippery slope of no return and things will not end well for him.  I just hope he doesn't take Jennifer and the kids down with him.

Virginia remiains the absolute worst and she needs to go post haste.

Forgot to add that I love the reveal that Uncle-Daddy's baby boy was betraying him

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 5
On 7/30/2017 at 8:00 PM, AgentRXS said:

Desna is stupid for meeting Roller alone. How could she possibly think he wouldn't get violent with her at the very least? me.

On 7/30/2017 at 8:19 PM, TrininisaScorp said:

One of my issues with this show is that they mess with the characterizations some of their folks, especially Desna.  She isn't dumb.  Why, WHY would she go alone?  She knows he is playing them and lying, and that he knows what she (and Virginia's stupid ass) did to him.

I think it's a setup, she knows exactly what Roller will do in that situation & she's got some kind of plan going. That's why no preview, it would give too much away. 

• Love 2

There is a promo for 1x09 in the spoilers and speculation thread.

@Happytobehere, you and I think very similarly on them. I was talking with some friends about the Roller & Desna scenes, esp the shrimp shack and house moments. That it isn't all pretend between them as neither character is that good an actor. Their relationship is highly dysfunctional but I believe there are legitimate feelings there as you do. Even at the end when Roller took her hostage, his face did crack for a moment when she said to him that their reunion had been real at times before his resolve kicked in. I think it is interesting that Roller attempted to pull with the Russians what Desna pulled with the Coonses. Also found it odd that Desna spilled the beans about trying to kill Roller to Riva so quickly. A friend of mine wondered if Roller got into bed with the Russians for Desna. Guess we'll find out in the next 2 eps why Roller betrayed Uncle Daddy.

And I really need the doctor boo to have a purpose cause the actor is being wasted in an otherwise highly forgettable role. 

• Love 1

Another party! More slow-mo shots!

It would seem that Roller is not the only one with amnesia (or not). Jen thought about killing Desna last episode, by exposing her to Uncle Daddy, but things are fine now; Dr Ken happily works with Bryce even though he tried to execute him not that long ago. Just because the show lampshaded both moments doesn't mean that I'm not getting character whiplash. Also, Quiet Anne and the cop are saying their I-love-yous? 

Desna: "Meet me right now, Roller. But only after I change into another outfit."

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, Corgi-ears said:

Jen thought about killing Desna last episode, by exposing her to Uncle Daddy, but things are fine now;

But wasn't Jen fucked up on drugs and alcohol then?

47 minutes ago, Corgi-ears said:

Also, Quiet Anne and the cop are saying their I-love-yous?

I know!  It's so unlikely that a lesbian couple would fall in love so quickly!  :)

• Love 2
10 hours ago, GaT said:

I think it's a setup, she knows exactly what Roller will do in that situation & she's got some kind of plan going. That's why no preview, it would give too much away. 

I saw the preview for the next show. I saw it at the end of the 10 PM showing.

I enjoyed this episode, but I think my favorite part was looking at all the outfits in the background at the white party. I especially like how gender (and sexuality - maybe) norms get bucked even with Uncle Daddy being rather hypermasculinized. 

Roller looks mighty fine for someone who was bashed in the head, shot  multiple times, left to drown, and given a Viking burial. That body does not lie. He and Desna would have such beautiful children.

Awkward moments: when your formerly dead gangster ex doing the walk of shame meets your current doctor boyfriend who luckily isn't jealous.

Heh, Polly got  Dr. Ken sprung.

Uncle Daddy quoting from the bible along with his wife at another  Sodom and Gomorrah party was the second hilarious scene for me.

Right? I was amazed he didn't get struck by lightning right then and there.

On 7/30/2017 at 11:35 PM, Syndicate said:

You think so?  Judging from that scene of him and Desna in this ep, they went from horizontal to penetration in seconds with absolutely NO foreplay.  Not my idea of a good time, even though she seemed to enjoy it.  We could blame it on his eagerness for her after being apart for so long, but every time we've seen Roller in an intimate scene, he's been all about himself.  He does clean up well, though, especially without the grill (I hate those things).

I have to ask, where in Florida is this set?  Is it 1986 there?  Because that look Roller was sporting (faded denim jacket, white high tops) while having shrimp with Desna was straight out of a mid-80's Bon Jovi video, minus the hair.  Or am I just hopelessly behind the times and that look is back?  (Wouldn't be the first time I've been accused of not being "with it", usually by my children.)

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Nessie said:
On 7/30/2017 at 11:35 PM, Syndicate said:

You think so?  Judging from that scene of him and Desna in this ep, they went from horizontal to penetration in seconds with absolutely NO foreplay.  Not my idea of a good time, even though she seemed to enjoy it.  We could blame it on his eagerness for her after being apart for so long, but every time we've seen Roller in an intimate scene, he's been all about himself.  He does clean up well, though, especially without the grill (I hate those things).

How much foreplay can TNT show, though? Other than showing a couple kissing, it seems to go right to penetration. I watch Animal Kingdom on TNT & the love/sex scenes are similar in little foreplay - usually kissing - then BAM or a fade away. And maybe with Roller Desna doesn't need so much initial stimulation? Some women are like that. I'm sure if he wasn't hitting it right, she'd say something to him. Unlike Virginia, Desna doesn't strike me as coy on the subject of not orgasming, esp after some of her comments during the Bachelorette party. But obviously mileage varies but those are my three cents. 

3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Awkward moments: when your formerly dead gangster ex doing the walk of shame meets your current doctor boyfriend who luckily isn't jealous.

I do wonder if whatshisname would've been jealous if Desna hadn't lied to him and if he knew she & Roller had been screwing the night before. I really do hope whatshisname serves a purpose other than cute Black doctor who also seems to be a blank slate personality. I'm pulling for him working with the Russians just to give him a reason to be. 

3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Heh, Polly got  Dr. Ken sprung.

I am really curious about his rendition of "When Doves Cry" that he left Polly on her voicemail. 

On 8/1/2017 at 10:41 AM, Corgi-ears said:

Also, Quiet Anne and the cop are saying their I-love-yous? 

IA with you on the whiplash there. Like their relationship is cute from the moments I've seen but I feel like a lot of it has happened quickly offscreen so I'm mostly left with thinking "okay" as a reaction to their scenes. Also, I can't recall but what happened with Quiet Ann's stalker?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

How much foreplay can TNT show, though? Other than showing a couple kissing, it seems to go right to penetration. I watch Animal Kingdom on TNT & the love/sex scenes are similar in little foreplay - usually kissing - then BAM or a fade away. And maybe with Roller Desna doesn't need so much initial stimulation? Some women are like that. I'm sure if he wasn't hitting it right, she'd say something to him. Unlike Virginia, Desna doesn't strike me as coy on the subject of not orgasming, esp after some of her comments during the Bachelorette party. But obviously mileage varies but those are my three cents. 

There's a lot they can show - kissing her neck, chest, working his way down her stomach - especially with the amount of nudity they seem to be comfortable showing.  I wasn't specifically talking about whether or not Desna enjoyed it, she obviously seemed to, but to the original poster saying she thought Roller was the type to do dirty stuff in bed that leads to ecstasy.  I disagreed, based on what we had been shown so far.  To me he comes off as selfish in bed.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, FlowerofCarnage said:

Forget the lack of foreplay, what about all the unprotected sex? I doubt Roller was faithful prior to his dalliance with Virginia and here in the first ep, we see them go right at it and then again in this ep. 

LOL, I just love when I see posts about unprotected sex with these shows that I watch, because we are on the same wave length. It never escapes my mind how NASTY the nasty is that these characters are engaging in, gross. He was up in Virginia, and lord knows how many of those  women who crying at his funeral. Then the swamp lady was riding him, that of course was no fault of his, he was raped repeatedly, but still, where's the rubber Desna? Did she use one with Dr. guy even?

I mean when Desna caught Roller raping/strangling Virginia she said something about get,get we have enough herpes around here, something like that. So it's not like STD's have never crossed her mind.

I said the same thing when Virginia slept with Dean, forget a pregnancy, did she give him an STD? That's all I kept thinking. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 3

Uncle Daddy's horrid White Trash with Money parties are freaking amazing. You know he thinks he is just classy as hell, even if, in reality, the guy couldn't find class on a map.

Desna meeting up with Roller seemed out of character, as she's supposed to be a pretty smart woman, but that was a super stupid move. I really do like this show, but the characterization is a little all over the place from time to time.

I'm going to put a pin on whether or not Roller coming back is a good thing or a bad thing. I think there are some decent story possibilities with him being alive, and he and Desna getting back together (or him screwing her over), but I'm also worried that he might take up too much screen time (from what we`ve seen of him, a little Roller goes a long way) and there is more drama with the murder than the fake amnesia stuff.

I still dig the show so far, especially now that the weirdo tree lady is gone. Its a trashy beachside novel made manifest into a TV show. Like cheap red wine you get at your local convenience story. Its not the best for you, or super classy, but sometimes it really hits the spot.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Desna meeting up with Roller seemed out of character, as she's supposed to be a pretty smart woman, but that was a super stupid move. I really do like this show, but the characterization is a little all over the place from time to time.

Isn't it possible that Desna met with Roller because it's part of a plan?

I have to ask, where in Florida is this set?  Is it 1986 there?  Because that look Roller was sporting (faded denim jacket, white high tops) while having shrimp with Desna was straight out of a mid-80's Bon Jovi video, minus the hair.  Or am I just hopelessly behind the times and that look is back?  (Wouldn't be the first time I've been accused of not being "with it", usually by my children.)

Its set on the west coast of Florida. I've seen hipsters sporting the late '80s fashion but not so called wannabe gangstas like Roller. But then again, all bets are of when it comes to Florida fashion....believe me.

• Love 3

You know I think there is a lot between Desna and Roller; it's a sick circle of a deeper connection or something, but it exist. His hand was shaking when he was pointing that gun at her. The shaking of his hand got me and then there was a pause after she questioned whether or not he meant all the loving stuff he said before.  Who knows maybe he was going to come through with the money for Desna off of whatever he had going on with the Russians. He kept telling her don't worry, he'd take care of it. Obviously, he felt that Uncle Daddy wasn't paying him what he was worth so he stepped outside the family.  That shaking of his hands got me, he's no stranger to using guns, his hand doesn't shake when holding a gun. I think he was hurt, that's why he asked her if she was sad/missed him even a little. 

And we're all clear that he did NOT have amnesia right? He was faking the entire time. I don't know how long he would have kept it up, but I feel that things got desperate after he met with the Russians at the party. After the meeting he decides he has to come out of his amnesia and use Uncle Daddy to get rid of them. Hey, something else he and his lady Desna have in common, using Uncle Daddy to get rid of a threat.

• Love 2
On 7/31/2017 at 8:10 AM, Keepitmoving said:

Uncle Daddy quoting from the bible along with his wife at another  Sodom and Gomorrah party was the second hilarious scene for me.

That was a hoot and went with the Saint Roller vision earlier.

On 7/31/2017 at 8:37 AM, MulletorHater said:

And, no, Virginia.  The fact that you are a Millennial does not account for your being selfish and trifling.lthough, based on what I've seen so far, that could be any given day of the week.

I thought that was funny.  "Why does it always have to be about you?"  "I'm a Millennial, duh!" (all the more fun since the Millennials I know aren't selfish at all!)

On 7/31/2017 at 8:47 AM, Keepitmoving said:

I'm still weighing whether what Virginia did with Dean is rape.

On 7/31/2017 at 10:29 AM, Chick2Chic said:

Are We'll have to disagree on Dean's level. I don't think he's severely limited but considering what he considers a relationship and who he thinks his girlfriend is after a few conversations (pre-sex), he can physically function as a grown man but his emotional level is more like child/teen.

I'd say no.  There are grown people who think that when someone is nice to them that makes them boyfriend/girlfriend. That doesn't make sex "rape".  

• Love 2