Type keyword(s) to search

Season 19 Spoilers & Speculation

• Start Topic

How do we know Cassidy is back? 

If it's true, I don't look forward to it. I've never liked the character, he's a one dimensional, sleazy, low intellect cop and he has no chemistry with Benson. I sure hope they don't try to revive that romance, I'm so sick of Benson's revolving door of law enforcement boyfriends who she dates for a few months then moves on to another, it adds nothing and has gotten old. 

I am glad Michael S Churnuchin has been named showrunner, he is a great choice. He's never written for SVU, but he wrote for the mothership starting all the way back in Season 1 and wrote numerous great episodes, he wrote a few times for CI and he also wrote the best episodes of the recently cancelled Chicago Justice. He will be a big improvement over Rick Eid and I expect the stories to be more fresh. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

He's never written for SVU, but he wrote for the mothership starting all the way back in Season 1 and wrote numerous great episodes

So he remembers when Lieutenants didn't go out on all the cases and were more administrative.  Any chance Olivia will start spending more time behind her desk?  Nah.  Of course not. 

• Love 1
On 7/26/2017 at 10:15 PM, Xeliou66 said:

How do we know Cassidy is back? 

If it's true, I don't look forward to it. I've never liked the character, he's a one dimensional, sleazy, low intellect cop and he has no chemistry with Benson. I sure hope they don't try to revive that romance, I'm so sick of Benson's revolving door of law enforcement boyfriends who she dates for a few months then moves on to another, it adds nothing and has gotten old. 

The photo Julie Martin tweeted of the script for "Gone Fishin'" shows Brian Cassidy's name (it can be read through the front page of the script).

Dean Winters also posted a photo of himself on set (but has since deleted the photo). While the photo could have been of Dean visiting (as Dean, NOT as Brian), the photo in combination with the script is pretty good evidence that he's back for at least one episode.

What do you want to bet that we will see more of Hargitay's husband on SVU in the future. There have been a few articles put out there about Peter Hermann, Mariska and their family. How they have a happy family life and (by no coincidence) how he has guest starred on SVU numerous times. Is they where Harigtay makes her power play to start using family members as regulars a la Roseanne Barr and her tv series?

• Love 1
On 8/6/2017 at 0:18 PM, dttruman said:

What do you want to bet that we will see more of Hargitay's husband on SVU in the future. There have been a few articles put out there about Peter Hermann, Mariska and their family. How they have a happy family life and (by no coincidence) how he has guest starred on SVU numerous times. Is they where Harigtay makes her power play to start using family members as regulars a la Roseanne Barr and her tv series?

They met on the set of SVU a long time ago (early 2000s?) and have been married for years. He began his role on SVU pre-relationship with Mariska. 

• Love 3

Philip Wincester is joining the cast of SVU in Season 19, reprising his character Peter Stone from Chicago Justice!

I know I am one of the very few people here who really enjoyed CJ, so I am beyond excited by this news. The article says he'll first be appearing about half-way through the season.

Dare I hope this might mean Barba could finally be exciting? (I know, another unpopular opinion in these parts, but I've never quite understood the hype around his character and the show could use a shake-up. Like an ADA who will actually have a backbone when it comes to dealing with Benson.)

• Love 4
On 7/28/2017 at 4:26 PM, amsomething said:

The photo Julie Martin tweeted of the script for "Gone Fishin'" shows Brian Cassidy's name (it can be read through the front page of the script).

Dean Winters also posted a photo of himself on set (but has since deleted the photo). While the photo could have been of Dean visiting (as Dean, NOT as Brian), the photo in combination with the script is pretty good evidence that he's back for at least one episode.

Now a photo has been released of both Mariska Hargitay and Dean Winters in costume (with badges!) together. The photo was taken while filming episode 2-- "Mood," so Brian Cassidy is in at least two episodes.

Julie Martin also tweeted about the addition of the character of Peter Stone in the back half of the season. It sounds like Barba will still be there, and Julie promises "Barba and Stone crossing paths. DA fireworks." This could be interesting if this show decides to emphasize the "Law" side more of this series, because we really haven't seen much conflict among the ADAs. I am hoping this will be some interesting storytelling. 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, ForeverAlone said:

Julie Martin also tweeted about the addition of the character of Peter Stone in the back half of the season. It sounds like Barba will still be there, and Julie promises "Barba and Stone crossing paths. DA fireworks." This could be interesting if this show decides to emphasize the "Law" side more of this series, because we really haven't seen much conflict among the ADAs. I am hoping this will be some interesting storytelling. 

I'm worried about Raul Esparza being involved in another project or possibly even leaving, though.  Philip Winchester's tweet that said something about joining SVU (not guesting, but joining) worries me because I adore Raul Esparza and don't want a new or competing ADA. I know that's ridiculous,  but I am being honest.  ☺ I have nothing against Philip Winchester,  and I did enjoy him on Chicago Justice,  but I don't want him to "threaten" Raul in any way.  ?

• Love 3

Before the beginning of last season Rick Eid said they would be hooking Benson up with possibly an FBI guy. Didn't happen. But CJ bombed and I bet this guy (Stone) is the guy. He's just an ADA not FBI. I'm hoping that Barba isn't going up against this guy or Cassidy for the love of Benson. Cassidy hated Barbas guts because he was jealous of whatever was going on between him and Benson. Now this new guy that is coming on the show (I'm betting) for the sole purpose of hooking up with Benson....something we were promised last year. Many of us wanted less of Benson's unethical love life but instead, here we go again. It would be great to detach Barba from Benson, give him his dick back, and give us the Barba they told us we were getting five years ago...but I fear same old shit....all about Benson and all the men who want to bang her. Primetime soap opera...still.

7 hours ago, QueenMab said:

Now this new guy that is coming on the show (I'm betting) for the sole purpose of hooking up with Benson....something we were promised last year.

Nah. I highly doubt it. While I normally hate age arguments when it comes to shipping, Winchester is only 36 and the character of Stone is that of a fairly young ADA...I doubt they'd be bringing him in solely to "romance" 50 year old Benson.

I really hope they're testing the waters to replace Barba...the character's had a 5-season run or so, that's a long time for an SVU ADA and seriously, a shake-up is long overdue.

• Love 1

Glad to see Julie confirm Raúl is sticking around for the moment, hope it stays that way. It'll be interesting to see the legal side of the show grow, certainly a different approach than they've taken before. Can't say I was very fond of Peter Stone as a character but he might work better when he's not really leading a show.

• Love 1
On 8/9/2017 at 5:45 AM, Grace284 said:

Glad to see Julie confirm Raúl is sticking around for the moment, hope it stays that way. It'll be interesting to see the legal side of the show grow, certainly a different approach than they've taken before. Can't say I was very fond of Peter Stone as a character but he might work better when he's not really leading a show.

When Chicago Justice came on it was a sure sign that Wolf wanted to go back to the original L&O format for story telling. Which would suggest an ADA and an EADA going over the politics of the case and police tactics. However if the other actor is due to leave with the show still up and running it suggest the Criminal Intent alternating detectives or L&O:LA  format of alternating Deputy DA's

Edited by Raja

Barba was a "fairly young" ADA when he came on and that didn't stop Benson from glueing herself to his side....and life. This show tries very hard to make us believe Benson is @40 and can still get pregnant. I fully expect a "dilemma" story line about Benson hooking up with yet another younger ADA , how unethical it is, but sex with Benson can't be denied so...another "relationship" on the down low. And she'll go buy another pregnancy test kit. And I will be laughing my ass off. And Barba will be pissed off that his true love through time and space and all eternity Benson is...once again...banging other guys. This is a primetime soap opera folks. I don't expect anything even closely associated with Law or Order. Just more good looking guys who fall for Erica Kane....ooops!..I mean Olivia Benson. Sorry, but that intolerable cow has pretty much ruined the show...at least for me.

• Love 1

From what I recall, Chicago Justice didn't really bomb. It actually had better ratings than other shows that were renewed, including SVU on many nights, but NBC had more invested in other shows, and Justice suffered for that. It's sad that it didn't catch on. For a freshman show, it was doing a far superior job in telling a story compared to SVU over the last few seasons. I think CJ would have found it's step if given another chance. 

I get what you're saying @QueenMab. I worried that Stone may be sent to SVU just to be either another pet for Benson or a foil for Barba. I hope that won't be the case. I want him to be his own person. He's a good character with a lot of potential on his own without needing to be someone's prop. I took to the character and thought he had great potential. I'm happy that he's returning to TV via SVU. I don't want them to make him another lapdog of St. Benson. I'm kind of thinking that Chernuchin will ensure that Stone is well written. After all, Chernuchin has a history with Stone's father on the original L & O, as well as helping to create Peter's character. So for now, I'm going to remain hopeful. My hope is that Stone will remain true to his established character and not tolerate the crap Benson deals out. I can't wait to see him stand up to her. 

I kind of agree with @sockii in that I think Peter Stone may be a bit too young for Benson. I have no issue with age gaps but Stone is a good 10 years younger than Barba and that may be a little too much of an age gap for SVU. 

Barba has become so boring to me over the last few seasons. He had a spark when he first appeared but eyerolls, snark, and fancy suits can only take a character so far. Yeah, yeah, I hear how he cares about the victims. I don't disbelieve that. However I also believe that all of the main characters, past and present cared, so he's not special in that department. I'm so tired of him kowtowing to Benson's whims that I really don't care what happens to him or if Raul stays or leaves. I still love Raul, but I'd also be fine if he left the show and found a project that challenges him and showcases his talents. He's talented, but he's also being wasted on this show. I think that Philip Winchester is talented as well, which is why I hope the character will be well written. He has the goods to bring some much needed fresh blood to the show.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Raja said:

When Chicago Justice came on it was a sure sign that Wolf wanted to go back to the original L&O format for story telling. Which would suggest an ADA and an EADA going over the politics of the case and police tactics. However if the other actor is due to leave with the show still up and running it suggest the Criminal Intent alternating detectives or L&O:LA  format of alternating ADA's

I'd be all for that. I really enjoy the legal side of the show so more of that would be great.

I disliked Chicago Justice, but not because of Peter Stone, who was a good main character, Justice was just a bad idea because they wanted the show to be L&O 2.0 but it didn't fit in at all with the Chicago shows, which are very soapy, very heavy handed and very black and white, no shades of gray or debates which is what the L&O shows were always about. 

I'm unsure how to feel about Peter Stone appearing on SVU. On one hand, I like the character, I like the legal side of SVU, and I would love to see Stone and Barba interact and work together. On the other hand, I sure hope Raul isn't planning to leave, Barba is one of my favorite characters and I hope they are not setting up his departure by bringing in Stone. Also, I'm getting sick of the constant Chicago connections to the L&O shows, it's getting ridiculous. Having several L&O characters pop up on Chicago Justice was odd, and now having Stone come to NY, I just don't think the franchises mix well together which is why Justice failed. 

Much more concerning though is the Brian Cassidy appearances. I've never liked the character at all, he's a one dimensional douchebag, and I certainly don't want them to hook him and Benson up yet again. I'm so sick of the revolving door of Benson boyfriends. They did a forced break up with Tucker because apparently they were considering having her hook up with an FBI agent, that never happened, I hope they aren't planning to have her hook up with Cassidy again now. I'm so sick of Benson's personal life. 

I trust Churnuchin to write some pretty good episodes, but I don't trust Julie Martin, who I've never liked and whose been on board for some very soapy stories. And what's with the very weird episode titles? I miss the titles of the Leight years

• Love 1

I have this hope/theory that Cassidy is still part of IAB...maybe moving up the ranks towards Tucker's old position. I would love to see him back as the one to bust some b@lls at SVU, given a) his past history with Benson and b) just having worked in SVU himself, at least for a brief while. It could add some interesting complexity...and certainly be more interesting than trying to rekindle any Benson/Cassidy romance.

• Love 3

It would definitely be more interesting to see Cassidy working with IAB on an investigation than it would be to see him hop back into bed with Benson. That pairing has less chemistry than oil and water, they are just incompatible, Cassidy is a one note character, a not very bright, sleazy, cocky cop while Benson is much more refined and cultured than Cassidy. I don't get that relationship, it's been forced from the very start. If they broke up Benson and Tucker for no reason when they actually had chemistry just to have her jump right back in bed with Cassidy, well that's stupid. I'm sick of Benson's love life anyway. 

The way the show has been skimping on a full squad, I don't think they have the budget (or want to pay) for two main actors, i.e., Esparza and Winchester.  I think they might be easing in a replacement for Raul when Barba leaves the DA's office for some reason they will think of and write a story on it.  Barba has been wasted by being St. Benson's yes man for far too long.  He could have been cutting up the courtroom, but that was too limited.  IMHO of course.  I don't have any inside info on Raul Esparza's acting career, that's just how I sense things given SVU's past.  Plus if they're adding Cassidy, well then...

• Love 2

You're so right, @CelticBlackCat about the budget issue. Unless Winchester is coming in a limited number of episodes, then I'm guessing that Raul will be out by the end of the season. They don't need two ADAs, and I doubt they have the budget for it either. I just don't think it makes any sense to resurrect Stone's character just to have him appear in only a few episodes. Maybe, maybe, Barba does get a promotion and will therefore be featured in less episodes and Stone takes over as the main ADA? So hard to say at this point, but if I had to guess I'd say Raul is leaving. Time will tell and all of my speculations could be completely wrong of course, but I really don't think it makes sense to bring Stone in and say that Winchester is "joining" the cast for limited episodes, especially since he's only coming in towards the end of the season. They brought Andy Karl in for a limited time, but he was still featured for nearly an entire season. 

I've noticed some social media buzz from some Chicago fans saying that once Stone makes his appearance they will start tuning in to SVU. Maybe the show will attract some new fans this way?  

Edited by Gigglepuff
  • Love 1

I've had a lot of the same thoughts as @Gigglepuff. If Winchester was just going to appear in a few episodes it would be a guest shot, no more. Even if it were part of a "story arc". I don't see the show having the budget to have two regular ADAs, it just doesn't make sense.

And from a character POV, wouldn't Barba have aspirations to move up the ladder in the DA's office eventually? Five+ years as SVU ADA, that's as long as any of them have lasted (and longer than most). I can see them cautiously testing the waters later this season to see if the Stone character will "click" before making a transition in season 20 (assuming we have one, but I don't see them giving up on the franchise when it's so close to matching the mothership's run.) Barba may move up to EADA, or even be in the running for DA. (We don't even KNOW who the DA is these days, which annoys me to no end. And I can see Chernuchin wanting to show us more of the legal side of things within the DA's office.)

It's all speculation for now of course. But I have to say I'm more excited for this season than I have been for any new batch of SVU episodes in a long, long time.

• Love 1
On 8/9/2017 at 6:10 PM, sockii said:

I have this hope/theory that Cassidy is still part of IAB...maybe moving up the ranks towards Tucker's old position. I would love to see him back as the one to bust some b@lls at SVU, given a) his past history with Benson and b) just having worked in SVU himself, at least for a brief while. It could add some interesting complexity...and certainly be more interesting than trying to rekindle any Benson/Cassidy romance.

That would be interesting! I just don't see it though. More likely if he's still with IAB they'll be working together to nail a rogue cop using his badge to abuse/assault women. Your idea would be interesting, but I'm not sure they want to go down that road as it would require a bit more nuanced portrayal of IAB than they have historically been capable of or making Cassidy a villain/Benson fallible, and could bring up memories of what they've spent the last few years rebooting/retooling.

On 8/8/2017 at 9:55 PM, amsomething said:

I'm worried about Raul Esparza being involved in another project or possibly even leaving, though.  Philip Winchester's tweet that said something about joining SVU (not guesting, but joining) worries me because I adore Raul Esparza and don't want a new or competing ADA. I know that's ridiculous,  but I am being honest.  ☺ I have nothing against Philip Winchester,  and I did enjoy him on Chicago Justice,  but I don't want him to "threaten" Raul in any way.  ?

It appears as if there is a movement to revive Hannibal on Netflix. That could possibly be what could draw Raul Esparza away from SVU (if the "revival" happens). 

As @Raja rightfully pointed out above, Law & Order: Criminal Intent alternated detective teams, so I can easily see the same applying here. New York City has many, many ADAs, so I can see Barba and Stone also taking turns. I think having Peter Stone within the Law & Order franchise is as much a homage to the Mothership and Michael Moriarty's Ben Stone (as Peter is this character's son) as it is a possible foil or replacement for Barba.

Time will certainly tell the tale, but I don't automatically see a threat to Barba with Stone's presence.

• Love 1

IMO the show desperately needs a new detective, not a new ADA. Barba doesn't have enough screentime nor is in every episode. Not every episode needs an ADA to be present and when they will rotate two ADAs, I think Barba's time will go down. It doesn't make any sense to me but clearly somebody just wanted to have that actor working in the Wolf's franchise again. I never watched Chicago Justice so I don't know if he is interesting or not but I'm not happy about less Barba. If it's about Raúl slowly wanting out then so be it but I'm worried that they just want to push him out for a new shinier boy to replace him altogether. 

Again, a new detective would make much more sense. We don't even have two pairs of partners with Benson being a CO. That's ridiculous. 

Plus they brought Cassidy back from a TV grave for no reason. I'm starting to have a bad feeling about upcoming season. 

Edited by devious455
  • Love 2

Just a thought because this show has a habit of just "cheesing" out of situations ( like Tucker's exit). There's reports of Dean Winters showing up for the first episodes and this new ADA Stone "joining" the cast, but do we know if Esparza showed up and is in any of these episodes? What if Barba is already gone and we get some stupid explanation on screen and SVU just has to deal with it until the new ADA Stone shows up to replace him? I fully expect this show to take the tacky, makes no sense road and do just that. Maybe why Cassidy is brought back, to deflect and interact with Benson until her new ADA lover shows up. Just like this soap opera to do this.

19 minutes ago, QueenMab said:

Just a thought because this show has a habit of just "cheesing" out of situations ( like Tucker's exit). There's reports of Dean Winters showing up for the first episodes and this new ADA Stone "joining" the cast, but do we know if Esparza showed up and is in any of these episodes? What if Barba is already gone and we get some stupid explanation on screen and SVU just has to deal with it until the new ADA Stone shows up to replace him? I fully expect this show to take the tacky, makes no sense road and do just that. Maybe why Cassidy is brought back, to deflect and interact with Benson until her new ADA lover shows up. Just like this soap opera to do this.

He's in the first one and was at the read though for the second.

I'm getting a bad feeling about the upcoming season. I don't like Cassidy coming back, he's never been a good character or one who has added anything to the show, and I absolutely don't want to see a Benson/Cassidy romance again. 

And then Peter Stone coming to SVU is a weird move. It's clear that Churnuchin and also Dick Wolf want the original L&O back, that's why they had 3 L&O characters plus an L&O characters son on Chicago Justice. The mothership should never have been cancelled, it was very good when it was cancelled and could've gone on for many more years but NBC made the stupid decision to cancel it, and they can't bring it back now. So instead they are trying different ways to get it back that aren't working, first with Chicago Justice, now bringing Peter Stone on to SVU. I'm just not sure how it will work, it seems like it will be forced so they can either push out Barba and enter Stone in his place, or just an attempt to keep Chicago Justice alive as the second coming of the mothership. 

I was happy when I heard Churnuchin was named showrunner as he has written some great episodes of the mothership and CI and the episodes he wrote were by far the best of Chicago Justice. However I haven't liked much of what I've heard so far, I'm still unsure about Stone but it is forced to have another Chicago-NYC connection, and I don't like Cassidy returning whatsoever. 

• Love 2

Why on Earth they won't address the real problems this show has? Like Benson constantly being in the field because SVU is short-staffed. Like Carisi doing 90% of detective work because Fin's part was reduced and Rollins is busy being Carisi's cheerleader and insecure mother. Why not introduce a new detective who would bring something fresh to the show? The first part of most episodes is weak because characters are flat, boring, there is no excitement or humor. It's stale. 

So what they'll do? They bring the new ADA and some character related to Benson, either as family or she will want custody over Noah or some other BS. What the hell is this?  

• Love 6

Devious...I feel your pain. But, this has been a primetime soap opera for years now. And this is how they go. There is no reality. It bears absolutely no resemblance to how Law or Order actually functions. Its a show about SEX. Hot, dirty, rough, violent SEX. Where the main characters engage in sex with each other and whoever comes along. The stories are weak because they are just an excuse...to give us an hour in primetime about sex. At this point, any new male character is there to have sex....probably with Benson. Cassidy, Barba, Langan, Amauro...a host of others, all there for the express purpose of having sex with the ultimate goddess Benson. That's it. The stories are stale excuses, and the cops and ADA are immoral, unethical, and unprofessional...both in their personal and professional lives. Your all hoping for better but we're not going to get it. Just another season of excuses to shove lots of sex at the public. That's all. What chokes some of us and makes it silly is that the "sex bomb at the center is a big, bulldyke looking menopausal, unattractive biatch that nobody especially a man, would be able to tolerate for five minutes. Because with SVU your in soap opera land. Sorry.

QueenMab, I don't want to offend you or anything but I'm not sure what show you are watching. Clearly not SVU. Because there is literally no sex happening. Definitely anything we can see. Not a lot is implied either. Benson didn't have sex with Barba, Langan or Amaro. And based on lack of excitement she had around Tucker their sex life wasn't very rich. Sure, you hate Benson but be little realistic. Even though her quest to find suitable BF is boring, that's for sure. 

There is no chemistry, spark or tension between most characters on that show. Barba interacts only with Benson, Rollins only with Carisi, Fin is somewhere in the middle doing mostly nothing. They just coexist in the same place without having any meaningful relations. I think the reason is that some characters simply don't fit and they should be replaced.  I wouldn't mind if they fire the blond duo and bring new people. Their stories are repetitive and they are annoying. Too bad they wasting money on guest stars instead of dealing with terrible detective situation. 

• Love 4

Yeah Benson's sex life isn't nearly as wild as Queen Mab makes it out to be. This show isn't about the main characters hooking up, it is rather stuck in an unoriginal, uncreative mode with too much soap though. And I'm not excited at all about season 19 from what I've heard : first the one note Cassidy is coming back yet again, he's never added anything, then where going to have the Brooke Shields character come in and create a soapy story for Benson, I guarantee as some relative of Noah that wants custody, and then Peter Stone is coming in, and while I like the character fine I don't want Barba gone and Churnuchin and Wolf need to accept that Chicago Justice was a failed experiment and the mothership isn't coming back, and I'm sick of the constant Chicago-NYC connections, they are very forced. 

So it appears season 19 will be more Benson soap along with Peter Stone popping up in another attempt to keep Chicago Justice/a mothership feel going despite that it isn't working. 

• Love 1
On 8/11/2017 at 2:00 PM, amsomething said:

Any speculations regarding what the role will be?

Do we know anything about Noah's grandmother(s)? That is, alive/dead/prison, whatever? Since "Benson's world" (outside her work) seems to be Noah, that might shake things up (Brooke fighting for custody/visitation rights). Either that, or she's a half-sister (thanks, rapist dad!).

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Yeah Benson's sex life isn't nearly as wild as Queen Mab makes it out to be. This show isn't about the main characters hooking up, it is rather stuck in an unoriginal, uncreative mode with too much soap though. And I'm not excited at all about season 19 from what I've heard : first the one note Cassidy is coming back yet again, he's never added anything, then where going to have the Brooke Shields character come in and create a soapy story for Benson, I guarantee as some relative of Noah that wants custody, and then Peter Stone is coming in, and while I like the character fine I don't want Barba gone and Churnuchin and Wolf need to accept that Chicago Justice was a failed experiment and the mothership isn't coming back, and I'm sick of the constant Chicago-NYC connections, they are very forced. 

So it appears season 19 will be more Benson soap along with Peter Stone popping up in another attempt to keep Chicago Justice/a mothership feel going despite that it isn't working. 

The Peter Stone Chicago connection, I'm not sure about, though. His dad was quintessentially tied to NYC. Maybe it's a matter of the son also wanting to go home.

Look at Munch: The character lived in Baltimore when he originated on Homicide: Life On The Street, but I believe he was also from NYC. While the Mothership did a crossover with HLOTS pre-SVU, I don't think the fact that Munch originated from another show invaded the SVU narrative all that much. Munch started "fresh" when the character came to SVU.

Could be the same premise here.

26 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Look at Munch: The character lived in Baltimore when he originated on Homicide: Life On The Street, but I believe he was also from NYC.

To be the incredibly anal Munch fan here, that was a continuity screw-up on the SVU writers part that I've never quite understood (nor forgiven!). Munch was most definitely born and raised in the Baltimore area - the (heavily) Jewish suburb of Pikesville, to be exact. There was a  HLOTS episode in season 5 ("Kaddish") with flashbacks to his early teen years after his high school crush was found murdered. And his brother Bernie has a funeral home in the Baltimore area.

I never got why SVU suggested differently in season 2, in "Legacy" and "Manhunt", having mentions of him growing up "on the lower East Side" and working in the fish market. It added nothing to add/change those things. But, eh, they didn't really care much about his continuity, I guess. (I stick with the HLOTS canon myself). SVU Season 1 Munch was a LOT more like the HLOTS version of the character; they did soften up his edges quite a bit after that, but I wouldn't say they started entirely "new" with the character.

Also just a side note here, since Munch was brought up -- everyone is assuming Brooke Shield's character will be possibly Noah's grandmother or a "high ranking" agent or officer or something, if not perhaps a long lost relative of Olivia's. But let's remember that Munch transferred - as detective, no higher rank - to SVU - when the character was supposedly 48. It's possible (though I admit, not likely given the teasing leaks) that she COULD be a new detective for the unit (Shields being 52. Belzer was actually 55 when SVU started.)

I for one am only more and more excited about season 19 the more I hear about things getting shaken up. I always liked Cassidy as a character (if not as a love interest for Benson). I don't feel Chicago Justice was a failure when it was doing quite respectively in the ratings (and now my conspiracy theory is it was cancelled only to bring Chernuchin and Winchester over to SVU to revive it after an almost universally disliked season 18). I look forward to seeing what Shields can add to things, and I daresay casual viewers like my partner are, too (his eyes lit up when I told him the news, when he could barely stay away through an entire episode last season.) But I'm definitely feeling like the lone voice in feeling this way around here...

Edited by sockii
adding picky details
  • Love 4

Add me to the excitement for season 19, @sockii. I'm admittedly a little less intrigued by Cassidy's return or what Brooke Shields' character will be, though I do think it could be a good shake up for the unit and show as a whole. I thought of Shields' character as being some relative of Noah's, but I'm kind of leaning towards her being something else. The Noah situation surrounding his adoption is kind of over, so I'm hoping the show doesn't go cheap and resurrect that drama. Maybe Shields will even be the new captain or another higher up in the NYPD and a foil to Benson? That would be interesting to me as I fully believe that Benson needs a comeuppance. 

I am so looking forward to see what will happen with Stone. I'll admit to hoping that there will be a shake up in the DA's office. Barba's time is up. If he stays, he needs to remember that Benson is not his boss.  However, I wouldn't be all that surprised if he does leave. No other DA stayed on the show for an eternity, and it's time for his character to move on. I do think that Raul is well liked by the cast and crew, so maybe it's him that would like to take on other projects, I'm sure that if he does leave it would be his decision and not the show just getting rid of him. Yes, he's a fan favorite, and he was my favorite once upon a time too, (until he became Benson's lapdog) but the vocal, hard core fans don't dictate ratings or the direction of a show. The viewers that really matter are the millions who tune in that are Nielsen families. I know no one likes to hear that, but most of the time, it's the truth.

Ironically though, Chicago Justice did comparatively fine in ratings compared to SVU, the other Chicago shows, and NBC even renewed shows that did worse in ratings. Odd, unless you consider your suggestion that there's more at play here than what we know. Hmmm....I feel myself turning into Munch here. Let's face it. SVU has got to close to ending. I can't see it going for another three to four seasons. What if they're bringing in Stone for two reasons? Perhaps Raul is going to be done at the end of the season, so they get Stone to step in AND they have a plan to resurrect /reboot the original L&O? I mean, his character could be coming to SVU as a sort of "reverse backdoor"? Maybe Wolf and company got word that a L&O reboot was possible and that's the true reason why Justice ended? It was Chernuchin that created Stone's character, and now they're both over at SVU? I think there's more than meets the eye here. Ratings weren't enough to get Justice cancelled. It was even listed as one of the highest rated freshman dramas to be cancelled PLUS it only had 1/2 a season, really. There really wasn't enough time for it to hit its pace, it was cancelled days after the cancellation deadline, and now suddenly the show-runner and its leading man are over at SVU? 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, sockii said:

To be the incredibly anal Munch fan here, that was a continuity screw-up on the SVU writers part that I've never quite understood (nor forgiven!). Munch was most definitely born and raised in the Baltimore area - the (heavily) Jewish suburb of Pikesville, to be exact. There was a  HLOTS episode in season 5 ("Kaddish") with flashbacks to his early teen years after his high school crush was found murdered. And his brother Bernie has a funeral home in the Baltimore area.

I never got why SVU suggested differently in season 2, in "Legacy" and "Manhunt", having mentions of him growing up "on the lower East Side" and working in the fish market. It added nothing to add/change those things. But, eh, they didn't really care much about his continuity, I guess. (I stick with the HLOTS canon myself).

I always figured it was because they wanted a more "realistic" reason for Munch relocating to NYC than "he's awesome and any show is better with Munch!" And it gave him a reason to be know people and locations if it was needed for exposition and plot mechanics. Was it ever stated on HLOTS that he was born in Baltimore? I don't recall either way and if not is quite possible to fanwank that his family moved from NYC to Baltimore when he was young and he worked in the fish market summers/as underage off the books help. Or maybe he is hiding his true past out of some combination of paranoia and emotional distance?

I for one am only more and more excited about season 19 the more I hear about things getting shaken up. I always liked Cassidy as a character (if not as a love interest for Benson). I don't feel Chicago Justice was a failure when it was doing quite respectively in the ratings (and now my conspiracy theory is it was cancelled only to bring Chernuchin and Winchester over to SVU to revive it after an almost universally disliked season 18). I look forward to seeing what Shields can add to things, and I daresay casual viewers like my partner are, too (his eyes lit up when I told him the news, when he could barely stay away through an entire episode last season.) But I'm definitely feeling like the lone voice in feeling this way around here...

I like Cassidy and am cautiously optimistic overall. I think there is so much negativity because of recent history and because the announced new characters aren't where the show needs help. If they were bringing announcing Shields as an ME, an FBI agent, a consultant, etc. I think we would be happy. A lot of fans assume it's going to be more Noah drama or more focus on Benson's family because that's what TPTB seem to want and have given us lately. And well I like what little I have seen of Winchester I can understand skepticism there as well. I don't want to see Ben Stone's son getting pushed around by Benson any more than Barba. I am hopeful - Chenuchin very well might have the mandate from Wolf and NBC to make the necessary changes and he has a good track record. But until I see it actually happen I can't get excited. Especially since there is nothing explicit in the PR that addresses my biggest concerns with the past season and a half.

• Love 1

There is a story out there on Yahoo, that says Brooke Shield will be making numerous appearances on SVU this season. I wonder what they mean by in this article when "NBC promised there that Shields will shake up Benson’s (Mariska Hargitay) world". Since the show pretty much revolves around the private life of character, Olivia Benson and the investigations of "Special Victims" are small subplots. I have a feeling Olivia becomes bi-curious and Brooke Shields becomes her new love interest.

Comparing the Munch Baltimore-NYC thing to the Stone Chicago-NYC is inaccurate. Homicide and SVU never aired at the same time and Munch was the only character on both. With Chicago Justice, 3 L&O characters, plus an L&O characters son, appeared, and L&O has been off the air for 7 years and the shows were set in cities 800 miles apart! It was very forced, Wolf and Churnuchin want to bring back the mothership and are creating very forced scenarios to keep it alive. It seems like that's all Churnuchin is interested in is bringing on Peter Stone to keep the mothership connection alive while the rest will just be more Benson drama, Cassidy returning and someone trying to take Noah again. It is pretty clear MH is still in control and dicatating the storylines. I'm hoping for some better episodes with a good writer like Churnuchin but unfortunately he seems more interested in keeping the failed Chicago Justice alive than making the necessary changes to SVU.

We need a new detective, not a new ADA. A new detective would get us back to 4 detectives plus a boss which is how SVU has been for most of its run, we need more interaction between all the characters and more teamwork, less of Benson saving the day at the end of the episode by bullying the victim to testify, less PSA like episodes for Mariska's forudnation, and more of Barba. 

On 8/11/2017 at 3:00 PM, amsomething said:

Brooke Shields will have a "major, recurring role" this season, and it will be one that shakes up Benson's world. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/law-order-svu-season-19-brooke-shields-recur-1028874

Any speculations regarding what the role will be?

With (love interest) Cassidy coming back and the addition of Brooke Shield's character that is suppose to shake up "Benson's World". Is it possible we will see two characters vying for the affections  of "You Know Who"?

1 hour ago, dttruman said:

With (love interest) Cassidy coming back and the addition of Brooke Shield's character that is suppose to shake up "Benson's World". Is it possible we will see two characters vying for the affections  of "You Know Who"?

Is this Law & Order: SVU or Days of Our Lives?

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

We need a new detective, not a new ADA. A new detective would get us back to 4 detectives plus a boss which is how SVU has been for most of its run

Let's face it, the "boss" is still playing detective even as she should largely be a paper pusher with a promotion to lieutenant. Apparently, reality took a long vacation from the L&O franchise long ago, never to return.

To be clear, I'm not disagreeing, but early SVU and later SVU just seem like two different shows. I think Wolf has softened over time since he seems to have embraced soap while he seemed to snub it early in the franchise.

With the show going 19 seasons in, I think "adequate" is as good as this show will get now.

• Love 2