Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E02: Stormborn

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis:

Daenerys receives an unexpected visitor. Jon faces a revolt. Tyrion plans the conquest of Westeros.

Reminder: There is open air book talk here. If you are just watching the TV show and you don't want to stumble into any book talk you should leave now. Book Talk assumes you have read all the books to date. Any information from unpublished books, such as preview chapters should be in spoiler tags.

Arya hearing about Jon and going home! Nymeria not going with her :(

Maisie Williams is an amazing actress. She just expresses so much without saying anything.

Sam and Jorah, OW!

I miss Ghost. Where is he?

Dany hears about the KITN!

Tyrion's plan failed.  Dany, go be a Dragon!

• Love 20
(edited)

Dany's war strategy seems like it's being done on the fly and is just dumb.  First she has no plan ready to invade even before they come within sight of Westeros, and then her plan is to send her humungous army to take one castle while leaving her allies to do the hard work (take King's Landing).  So of course Cersei has time to learn of her position and plan a counter-assault.  If I were Olena, I'd be rolling my eyes at her, too.

Edited by Brn2bwild
  • Love 15
(edited)

Good riddance, Sand Snakes. After what they did to Myrcella and Trystane, Cersei can have them.

Littlefinger better watch his back. The last guy that knew Sansa in the biblical sense wound up dog chow.  Oh Ghost...

When Dany and Jon meet, I think she's going to want him to bend something other than his knee, if you know what I mean ;D

At least we got to see Nymeria again.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 12
(edited)
8 minutes ago, doram said:

In the "Inside the Episode", the show-runner makes a point of patting himself on the back that Daenerys’s War Council scene is dominated by four women. Which was nice and everything but he also completely overlooked how in the end it’s the man’s strategy that is followed. SMH.

Not only that, the plan doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The Westeros lords need to be scared of Daenerys so that they bend a knee and stay out of the fight between Daenerys and Cercei.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3
(edited)

Well, that was a little more meaty, if not prime roast.

Sam, you just met the guy, isn't it just a little bit fast to be cutting his greyscale off, already? And with so little Daddy Mormont talk?

Arya to Nymeria: "That's not you." Nice echo to "That's not me," when Ned predicted she's marry a high lord, etc., etc. I almost cried at this long-awaited reunion. Geez, please, MORE of this. I was a little disturbed at how cold she was towards Hotpie though.

I'm going to love Randall Tarly's bad end.

Jamie would convince others a lot easier if he could convince himself, they're doing the right thing.

Jon / LF. Would rather LF have not been in that scene, and let the two spar elsewhere.

Theon: I'm actually okay with his dive. He was in a lose-lose situation, and now he'll have a second chance.

<3 Dany and Olenna

Edited by FemmyV
to fix minor details
  • Love 18
(edited)

Tyrion is SO going to end up on the wrong side of Euron's tongue knife.  I really, really, really hate you GRRM.  That being said, I teared up about 3 times tonight.   Brief glimpses of happiness I suppose.

Edited by areca
  • Love 5

Wow!  So much to love.  

The conversation between Dany & Varys was EPIC. I loved his resolve. You need people around who will speak truth to power.

Arya & Hotpie was made of win.  I was SO happy when he told her about Winterfell.  And SO happy when Arya found Nymeria.  But now I'm confused.  What was the last thing Arya said after Nymeria turned away?  "That's not you?"  Did she mean that was not Nymeria?  I'm confused.

Holy shit that fight at sea.  I really didn't know how it was going to end but alas it went the way I feared.  So all the sand snakes are dead and the woman who killed Myrcella is on her way to Cersie.  Well, that's going to end gruesomely.

Alas poor Theon.  He's so broken.  I really hope he gets a chance to redeem himself -- preferably by rescuing his sister.

And now Jon is headed for Dragonstone.  That's good from a plot advancement point of view but I REALLY wish he had taken Balish with him because you do not want to leave that weasel alone in a castle with Sansa.  Please please PLEASE let Sansa not be hoodwinked by him.  Briennne PLEASE keep an eye on him.

And Doctor Sam to the rescue!  So now we know why we all (Sam and the audience) had to endure the never-ending gross-out montage last week.  It was to give Sam the stomach he needed to perform an even more disgusting task.  Okay -- based on that I'll be able to forgive the writers for putting us through that.

• Love 20

Wow, that Nymeria scene was sad. But it made sense. Arya is so different from when Nymeria knew her. I think it's just symbolic of how maybe Arya really CAN'T go home anymore. Her journey has been too dark. I hope I'm wrong.

Theon will always be a little shit. 

I wish Jon had killed LF right then and there. He is so gross. 

And Sam cutting off Jorah's greyscale was gross. But Sam is banging gilly so all is not bad in his life.

• Love 7

Really good episode that finished big.  I admit the show has done a good job evening the odds on Cersei side.  The weapon and Euron's victory.  Full scale chaos and action at the end.  Euron's ship coming out of the darkness was pretty cool.  Disappointed but can't say I'm surprised at all that Theon had a full-blown PTSD episode.

We owe Euron our thanks for killing two of the three Sand Snakes (at least one of them is Colleen Wing on Iron FIst) but we were treated to another god awful line with Ellaria's "southern invasion" quip.

Getting Tarly's support is a good play and the actor does a great job with the character although it's hard to take him seriously after he allowed his fat son to steal his sword.

Speaking of that son, like how he risked his life to try to help Jorah.  Even though I'm disappointed we never got Jeor's last words to Sam, I'm glad this connection is finally being shown.

Maisie did a terrific job with her scene in the tavern and it was very good to see Hot Pie again.  Glad she is heading back North.

Strong stuff on the Jon front with him becoming a stronger leader every week.  Though I fear Sansa being in charge is going to be a disaster for the North.  Especially if you she takes her eyes off of things happening at the Wall.

Freaking exciting as hell to see Dany and Jon so close to each other.  I'm looking forward to their meeting more than anything.

• Love 9

Arya broke my heart. Both with Hot Pie and with Nymeria. Her lack of manners, wiping her hand over her mouth constantly, shows she is becoming as wild as Nymeria is.  I fear that Winterfell is not going to feel like home to her.

Euron is a crazy MF and this season's big bad. But he took out the two most annoying sand snakes. I'm so conflicted.  No wait, I'm not. I'm happy those sand snakes are gone.  Live by the whip, die by ... 

Tyrion's catty aside to Ellaria was underwhelming. Tyrion, you sent Myrcella to Dorne. You bear some of the responsibility for her death.  But you're just going to snipe at the woman who killed her?  The least you can do is have Dany sic a dragon on her. 

Loved seeing Diana Rigg. 

The rest was blah. Other than the last seven minutes, the season really starts next week. 

• Love 1

So with only five episodes left this season, precious time was allotted to eunuch sex and amateur home surgery with Sam, now with more pus.

I don't care how many women or dwarves or purple unicorns are in on the planning when the plan seems to be well, there isn't one but I'll let you, my allies, get your men killed for me while I wait back here.  Olenna's not wrong to question why she bothered to bring an army she knew wouldn't be well received in Westeros if she didn't intend to use it.

I still can't get over how much I'm actually enjoying this version of Euron.  I despise the book character but that sea battle was fantastic.  And bonus points that he managed to take out two of the three Sand Snakes.  You can't say the man doesn't know how to make a great pirate entrance.

• Love 13

I did not like the Sand Snakes but think I dislike Euron more. Basically, everything and everyone involved in this battle irked me. This includes Yara and Ellaria. Both ships should have sank.

Jon laying hands on Littlefinger was orgasmic. I am so glad that Sam is trying to cure Jorah. That was disgusting though. Dany and Varys finding their footing was also very interesting to watch.

NYMERIA! YAY! 

All in all, this episode left me feeling uneasy. I don't know why though.

• Love 7

Egads that Jorah scene. That ooze...barf. Wonder if Sam will get all,the disgusting scenes this season? But I am happy someone is trying to save my fav!

Yara, why weren't your men paying attention? Jesus. But I was on the edge of my seat. 

Hot Pie and Nymeria! I hope Arya will at least see Sansa.

• Love 1

Good riddance Sand Snakes, you guys were a waste.

Alot more subtle Tyrion and Sansa action. Just saying

Interesting that Tyrion knows of the Marcella poisoning but not of Jon being King of the North. WTF is going on with Varys and his birds.

I blame failure less on the plan and more on the suckiness of the iron born/ sand snakes. If the iron born and sand snakes suck that much at fighting that they couldn't even repel an iron born attack, what makes people think that Dany would've been able to hold King's landing? 

So Jorah went to the citadel to die?  I get  that it's a hard disease, but he just seemed resigned to it.

Oleanna talks alot of shit for somebody who accomplished nothing in her period as a matriarch.  Hell, Pycelle survived a long time too. Should we praise him too for that?

This is the first time I legit felt sorry for Theon.

Sansa as QOTN. Will they listen? That'll be the interesting thing going forward.

• Love 9
(edited)

What a wonderful episode with so many great moments! 

The iron born vs iron born war! I'd been really hoping that Theon could get his moment to shine, but alas he is still too damaged from the psychological damage caused by Ramsey. 

- Sansa as temporary warden of the North! Hell, yes! 

- Jon Snow choking Little Finger next to the statue of Ned Stark. Poetic.

- Ollena advising Dany to be a dragon - perfect! You unleash your inner dragon Daenarys. 

- Arya and Nymeria reuniting! Random, but damn Maisie William really sells that scene. 

- Hot Pie - YESSSSSS. But I'd been hoping to see Gendry too! 

- Arya heading back home to Jon. I always adored the bond between those two in season one ❤️❤️❤️

Why isnt it next Sunday night already?

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Love 15

I got what I wanted and I suppose the answer to my question. Grey Worn is in fact a eunuch. He's also a good sport since he made sure Missandei got hers, so to speak. That was beautifully done by the actors.

Man, that fight scene was brutal, and the fact that "Reek" couldn't save his sister was heart breaking.

Is Arya seriously gonna miss seeing Jon again?! Damn. It was nice seeing her friend again though.

And kudos to Sam for helping Jorah. That was gross and interesting like YouTube. 

• Love 11

Two Sand Snakes dead!  It's not a trifecta, but we shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.  I'm guessing that Yara and Ellaria are the "gift" Euron is going to give to Cercei.  Good choice, considering Ellaria poisoned Myrcella.

I was hoping Bran would arrive in Winterfell before Jon headed south.  "Hello Queen Danerys, or should I call you Auntie?"  Guess not, so now we get to see more of Wormtongue Littlefinger whispering poison in Sansa's ear.  I'm bored of Littlefinger and wish they'd kill him already.

Nymeria's cameo was (sorry to say) very fan-servicey.  Though really cool, glad she's got a pack to run with.  I'm also glad Arya turned around to head back to Winterfell, though I wonder if she'll catch up to the Hound and company.  Everyone on this show seems to be travelling at the speed of the plot.

I could have done without the loooooong sex scene and the even looooonger Samwell of York, Medieval Barber scene.

• Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, doram said:

Exactly. I understand the need not to be a Queen of Ashes, but the idea is to strike King's Landing with enough force that the battle is over quickly before it spreads across the Kingdom.

Still, Dany opting for a not-shock-and-awe approach at first is consistent with all her previous military strategy. Let's hope those who accuse Dany of being mad and cruel and having all the hallmarks of her father are paying attention. ? 

Nah, they will just complain about something else. You are right that this is consistent with Daenerys' unwillingness to take the slaughter first approach. I remember when Daario told her to kill all the masters, but she refused because she said that she was "a queen not a butcher." Of course, look how that turned out, they created "Sons of the Harpy" and slaughtered hundreds if not thousands.

I think that she should have take her dragons and burn down some of the lords' holds. That would have scared them into staying out of the way.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 14
(edited)

YES!!  My man Hot Pie doing the lord's work!  Thank god Arya heard about Jon and is going back to Winterfell.  Unfortunately, I knew that she would miss Jon (of course) because he'll be visiting Dany.  But at least she'll be home and see Sansa!

Nymeria!  Wish she could stay with Arya :(

I was gagging during Jorah's procedure.  Knew Sam would try and save him.

Did not care about seeing the sand snakes die (was that all of them?)  Hated them in the show.  But also dislike Euron so, eh.

THEON, wth dude.  Totally ruining your redemption.

Could have done without the pointless sex scene.  With less episodes, we totally do not need to waste precious time on that stuff.

Edited by alaynestone
  • Love 4
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

Tyrion is no Ulysses S Grant

Olenna was right.  Daenerys should be a dragon, and give Cersei less time to respond

Thing is they still would've been intercepted on the sea since they were going to pick up Oleana's men . So that battle would've happened the way it did anyway.

Edited by Oscirus
(edited)
11 minutes ago, SeanC said:

The Jon/Littlefinger scene.  Much as we all enjoy seeing Littlefinger get choked again, this scene doesn't make sense.  First, what is Littlefinger trying to accomplish here?  Jon is leaving, his goal is to manipulate Sansa.  Second, I'm sorry, but are we to believe that Jon has never had a real conversation with Littlefinger before this point?  They've been in the same place for what must be months, and Littlefinger, as the Lord Protector of the Vale, is the most valuable ally King Jon has (as Sansa pointed out to Brienne last episode).  Said ally being the person he slams against the wall, which is not how one goes about managing such relationships, given that Jon's whole mission of late is bringing everybody together in a huge alliance to overcome grudges and beat the White Walkers.

At this point LF makes no sense.  He's just there for fanservice, so that Sansa can make witty remarks at him and Jon can manhandle him.  I mean, Sansa knows how dangerous he is, but she seems to have no issues snarking at him and giving him free reign in Winterfell. Royce seems to be giving his own opinions during council , so I am not even clear on what LF's relationship with the Vale is.

Also, Sansa in charge of the North? The North is in trouble! But I guess there is no one else as Jon put it. If only Bran had got there. By the way what's taking Bran so long to get there?

Edited by anamika
  • Love 6
(edited)

Jorah's cure seems rather nonsensical. The disease is clearly not confined to the skin...it does brain damage also, so peeling off the crust is unlikely to do a whole lot. Even if you assume the salve spread on the wounds afterwards penetrates well enough to affect the germs internally, how likely is it to kill every microorganism of a disease so virulent that a touch can cause contagion?

As to that - if one touch can cause the disease, does it make a whole lot of sense to hand your patient a jug - and then take it back and DRINK out of it, Sam? Ew.

It was ridiculous of Dany to allow her forces to be split on two sides of the continent. Yeah, yeah, you don't want to be queen of ashes, whatever. If it's too dreadful to attack KL with foreigners and kill thousands of civilians, why is it better to attack Casterly Rock, which IIRC has its own population of civilians? Are those civilians more worthy of rapine? It was dumb, but it did get annoying Ellaria and the tiresome Sand Snakes taken down,  so I guess it was worth it for me, if not for Dany.

Edited by screamin
  • Love 13
Just now, anamika said:

At this point LF makes no sense.  He's just there for fanservice, so that Sansa can make witty remarks at him and Jon can manhandle him.  I mean Sansa knows how dangerous he is, but she seems to have no issues snarking at him and giving him free reign in Winterfell. Royce seems to be giving his own opinions during council , so I am not even clear on what LF's relationship with the Vale is.

Yea that story line would've made more sense if they  ended it on Littlefinger's smile. I guess they had to have Little finger do slimy stuff just to make fans hate him more.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Oscirus said:

Thing is they still would've been intercepted on the sea since they were going to pick up Oleana's men anyway. So that battle would've happened the way it did anyway.

Not if they used the ships to ferry the Dothraki and Unsullied to King's Landing

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/23/2017 at 9:12 PM, benteen said:

I fear Sansa being in charge is going to be a disaster for the North.  Especially if you she takes her eyes off of things happening at the Wall.

Thank goodness the Night's Watch and the Wildlings and presumably the flighting men of the two kids that swore allegiance last week (the Umbers and the Karstarks, right?) are standing between Winterfell and the Army of the Dead.

On 7/23/2017 at 9:13 PM, nodorothyparker said:

I don't care how many women or dwarves or purple unicorns are in on the planning when the plan seems to be well, there isn't one but I'll let you, my allies, get your men killed for me while I wait back here.  Olenna's not wrong to question why she bothered to bring an army she knew wouldn't be well received in Westeros.

My take on that was that the news that Dany was sending the unsullied to take Casterly Rock was sufficient motivation to motivate Dorne and the Tyrells to lay siege to Kings Landing.  Because if Dany can actually TAKE Casterly Rock (which I think no one has ever done) that alone might be enough to end the war.  Plus everyone in that room just LOVED the idea of the Lannister stronghold being taken down.  Well, Tyrion may not have LOVED the idea -- presumably there are a few people there that he still likes -- but I'm sure he's in favor of the plan.  I wonder if that in-depth knowledge of the drains of Casterly Rock that he acquired in his youth will come into play?  We know the unsullied like sneaking in via drains.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 5

I like that we got more then snark from Lady Olenna.  You can see how she's been changed by what Cersei did last season. Her outlook that might is right is a far cry from where she was when we met her and how she's lived her life.  The strategy Tyrion was recommending is much more in line with how she use to think but it's clear Westeros as a whole means very little to her after all that she's lost.   Also loved her saying to Dany's face that the most loved Queen she's ever heard of was her Grand Daughter.  And for all that love, all that's left is ashes.  I was surprised by how much Dany seemed to feel for Olenna, considering that were Margaery alive, Olenna would be working to make sure her Granddaughter stayed Queen.  

If I were Olena, I'd be rolling my eyes at her, too.

You could tell it sticks in her craw that she's got to tolerate this nonsense.  She did not seem at all impressed with Dany, but she's the best weapon against Cersei so she's going to work with her.  But I picture Olenna thinking my Granddaughter had better hairstyles, better dresses and could work a room better too.

I'm sorry about what befell Ellaria and the Sand Snakes, mainly because it's going to please Cersei so much.  Though I did like that Ellaria showed neither regret or remorse about what she did to Myrcella.  The Lannister's have been brutalizing everyone since the show began, Jaimie and Cersei especially, eventually people reach a point where they see brutality and horror, and are more then willing to answer in kind.

I liked that Sansa doesn't like the idea of the North bending the knee to a Targaryen.  She clearly loathed them when talking to LF about Rhaegar.  And in her perfect world, Dany and Cersei would probably kill each other.

Jon, Dany and Tyrion are wrong, Cersei is far from done and is more dangerous then ever, despite her perceived disadvantage.  The Forces that are rallied against her have now been cut in half.  Minus the Dany's half of the Iron Born, Dorne and possibly the Tyrell forces, I don't think anyone should be confident about how this is all going to shake out.

• Love 16
1 minute ago, Constantinople said:

Not if they used the ships to ferry the Dothraki and Unsullied to King's Landing

Yea but they still needed the tyrell and dornish army. If they could've just used Dothraki and Unsullied then what was the point of Dany even aligning with those two?

4 minutes ago, doram said:

Oh, on a very superficial note: Missandei has a lovely backside. 

As does Grey Worm.

2 minutes ago, Oscirus said:

Thing is they still would've been intercepted on the sea since they were going to pick up Oleana's men . So that battle would've happened the way it did anyway.

I don't really understand this strategy, other than to set up the at-sea ambush for plot reasons.  The Dornish forces can move to King's Landing by land.

Another thing -- Qyburn was hinting at some great new weapon to use against the dragons, and I thought "oh shit, he's got some voodoo black magic up his sleeve".  Nope, he's just invented the  ballista.  Which books readers will know is nothing new -- the Dornish kiled Meraxes (and Queen Rhaenys) with a scorpion bolt through the eye 300 years ago.  I also scoffed at the lack of physics the writers displayed - Cercei shot the ballista at the dragon skull from about 30 feet away on a flat tragectory, and it barely penetrated.  That weapon isn't going to do shit when shooting 100 feet, UP, at a living dragon that has armor.  Of course, the show will have something stupid, like a dragon will land and just the right place for Cercei to unleash a shitload of those weapons at close range.

• Love 20

Any chance Nymeria might make another appearance and realize that Arya needs her?   I just don't want that to be the last encounter.( what are these wet things in my eyes?).

Also , where is a Ghost?

• Love 10
1 minute ago, SeanC said:

Hey, nobody in Daenerys' council had heard anything about it either, somehow.  If I were Dany, I'd be questioning Varys' competence as an information-gatherer.

Also, master politician Olenna seems not to have noticed that all her vassals wandered off to King's Landing to meet with the enemy.  Shouldn't she be keeping an eye on that?

So fucking true! So much incompetence for the writers to give Cersei a win:

1. No one knew that Euron had completed this fleet and was sailing to King's Landing.

2. Yara's watch was asleep and let Euron's fleet creep up on them. That is so impossible.

3. Randall Tarly waltzed off to King's Landing and none of Olenna's thousands of vassals said a word.

4. Tyrion comes up with the dumbest battle plan ever.

1 minute ago, mac123x said:

As does Grey Worm.

Beautiful man. He is the most underappreciated male hottie in the cast.

• Love 23
1 hour ago, SeanC said:

- The Jon/Littlefinger scene.  Much as we all enjoy seeing Littlefinger get choked again, this scene doesn't make sense.  First, what is Littlefinger trying to accomplish here?  Jon is leaving, his goal is to manipulate Sansa.  Second, I'm sorry, but are we to believe that Jon has never had a real conversation with Littlefinger before this point?  They've been in the same place for what must be months, and Littlefinger, as the Lord Protector of the Vale, is the most valuable ally King Jon has (as Sansa pointed out to Brienne last episode).  Said ally being the person he slams against the wall, which is not how one goes about managing such relationships, given that Jon's whole mission of late is bringing everybody together in a huge alliance to overcome grudges and beat the White Walkers.

Littlefinger this season seems to have no purpose but to lurk and smirk so we know he's still plotting.  I don't buy either that however long it's been since the Battle of the Bastards (which per Hot Pie is now apparently part of the popular lexicon) that Jon hasn't spoken at all to his primary ally with the only reasonably intact army in that part of the world.   But oh, since he's announced he's heading south the next day and leaving Littlefinger unfettered to whisper in Sansa's ear, now he throws him around and threatens him.  Nothing bad will surely come of that.

• Love 19

I just hope yara survives.. And that arya and Jon see each other alive at least once this season... That's it.. I don't really get the sand snake hate... Was sad to see them die.. But I get dany had to suffer some setbacks.. My God Missandei.... Cant wait for grey worm and dem to go to casterly rock.. I think things will be picking up from now

• Love 10