Type keyword(s) to search

Classic Trading Spaces: 2001-2008 Seasons Discussion

(edited)

Wow.  I hadn't before realized what a contemptuous nasty piece of work Doug Wilson is, both to the home-owners he worked for and to those he worked with. 

Hildy is simply nuts. 

Genevieve thinks she's all that, tight black tee shirts-wise. Never forget her putrid moss on walls. 

Laurie thinks the color spectrum comprises rust/burnt sienna, olive green, and gold,  because she can't see beyond the palette that goes with her own red-headed coloring.

Frank thinks painting designs on the walls is the end-all and be-all of room design. 

A room wouldn't be a Vern room without sconces and candles. 

But all that said, at least Vern,  Laurie,  and to an extent  Frank seriously consider the desires of the "client."

Amy and Ty are aces. 

Two episodes in PA were filmed about four miles from me: "Nazareth," 10/19/02; and "Northampton: James Avenue," more accurately described by Paige as "Moorestown," 10/27/01. Wish I had known then!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 4

I agree about the woman and the sort of Asian theme/one brightly colored wall. I call her one of the beige people. I didn't mind the tent as much on this watching. It's impractical, but I like that Hildi uses bright colors frequently. That may be one of the few things I like about Hildi.

I watched my recording of Brown Jesse, but only the reveal, so I don't know what kind of discussion went on between Laurie and the couple working with her about Jesse's hatred of brown.  Ultimately, though, what Laurie knew and how hard the friends fought against the color scheme is irrelevant - Jesse is ridiculous.  "I'm trying to be a big person right now."  Well, it ain't working, honey; you are literally stomping your foot, and in a couple of minutes you're going to be shoving your friend and stomping out the door.

I understand the underlying sentiment.  If I gave my friends a nice room I knew they'd love, and came home to find they'd given me a pink room despite knowing I was inevitably going to hate it and immediately re-do it because pink is the one color I don't like a single shade of, I'd be very disappointed.  And, while I love brown (and orange), the particular brown Laurie used in that room was rather ugly, at least on camera.  But damn.  She wouldn't admit there was anything in there she'd like if it was a different color, and then she tackled her friend.  Again, I didn't watch the rest of the episode, so I don't know if this ridiculously childish personality is her norm or something she resorts to when upset, but either way - grow up, Brown Jesse.

• Love 2

I watched bits and pieces of the Brown Jessie episode, she was so gun-ho to be on the show and so enthusiastic working on the friend's room, too much so I thought, it didn't feel real, I think she just wanted to be on tv, and she wanted a nice room. I didn't think the room was horrible and I don't care much for brown or orange. I love all shades of pink, sorry Bastet, but it's a good thing we all like different stuff. The thing that would have irritated me if it had been my house was Laurie splitting up that brand new sectional and only using bits of it in the new room. However, that was so fixable, just move them back where you want. The brown walls were fixable, that might have taken a couple of days and a couple or five coats of a lighter color paint but fixable. I don't remember what the fabric looked like that Laurie built the room around, but surely there was another color in it to emphasize and lessen all the brown.

And Laurie almost always works with colors that flatter her hair and her complexion, lots of autumn and sunset kind of colors. I think Geneivive (however her name is spelled) does that too, she uses lots of bold and darker colors.  Even Doug does it to a lesser extent, he seems to be fonder of shades of grey. I only saw one Kristie episode during the marathon, I couldn't remember her at all until that episode, one episode isn't enough to remember how she handled color and I didn't see any Kia episodes but I remember she had a fondness for orange

I vaguely remember that Christie existed when I saw her pop up on one of the marathon episodes and I remember Edward but don't remember a Kia at all. I mean, I remember she existed as a designer and I assume all three of them came around during the later years but I don't remember any of Kia's rooms. Where would we rank her in the lineup?

On 4/7/2018 at 4:09 PM, LexieLily said:

Didn't Crying Pam go viral?

Absolutely.  Back in the day on TWoP, there were Crying Pam banner ads created specifically as site fundraisers (Patreon before Patreon.)  I wonder if anyone still has those...

(edited)

I, too, hate brown, from taupe to cocoa.   And I loathe orange. (I have a large collection of Le Creuset, but not one piece of their signature Flame!)

Decades ago there was a popular style book on how we each are a "season," with colors that are compatible with our physical coloring (skin tone,  hair,  eyes). 

Laurie is aggressively Autumn,  foisting "her" hues on every home-owner she works FOR, emphasis deliberate.

Brown Jessie was not an Autumn! 

I also didn't care for the girl's bedroom by Frank and Ty. The home-owners' hope was for a "young lady"/"growing tween" look,  and Frank made it Little Girl Princess,  while Ty built a Circus Monkey freaky "desk" that didn't even match Frank's wall paintings! The daughter was decidedly  not enchanted but wisely kept mum.

And as a general observation: Look at the cover and inside photos of any home,  design, fashion, or "women's" magazine. Notice how much teal and turquoise are shown? I don't recall seeing these shades on TS!

Finally,  as long as I'm venting,  hee:

Does NONE of these designers own a television?! They have no clue how to position one in order to,  you know, VIEW it!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 3
On ‎03‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:05 PM, Maya said:

I just watched that one too. I remember being appalled the first time I saw it too. I wonder how long that painted floor lasted. Five minutes? 

Usually I liked Frank's designs, but that kitchen was not good.  As a previous poster said, the floor looked nothing like tile, and the backsplash and counter looked nothing like stone.

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:28 AM, Nordly Beaumont said:

The wine label room wasn't brought up. It wasn't a bad reveal IIRC. They just didn't care much for it. I never got the angst over that one. They weren't alcoholics or even teetotalers. Wine labels just don't seem offensive to me, they're just labels and they can be quite pretty (having said that I didn't think the ones used were all that pretty).

If I remember correctly, the homeowners were ministers who didn't drink.  I don't blame them for not wanting wine labels on their walls.

• Love 3
On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 7:46 PM, seacliffsal said:

watched both brown Jessie and crying Pam this afternoon and wondered why in the world did they ever sign up for this show when they were both so set in what they wanted.

Pam was in Season 2, when I don't think people had as much of an idea what could happen.  Trading Spaces didn't really hit big until Pam's episode aired; in fact, that episode got the show a lot of attention it might not have gotten otherwise.

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

If I remember correctly, the homeowners were ministers who didn't drink

He was a minister, he said they did drink but not often. I think the bigger problem was that they were so dark. And just not pretty in any way. I think you could do a neat treatment with wine labels (if you don't find it offensive) but you'd need better labels - and not so many!

Edited by Nordly Beaumont
  • Love 2
(edited)

I watched brown room Jesse last night.  I will say I don’t really consider the colour painted to be brown, it was taupe which is a grey beige and pretty neutral.  If someone hates brown I would think they mean dark brown not just anything with a beige-brown tint.  The room was nice and they could just repaint.  Jesse was a person I personally think has bad taste (I mean look at her hair that was way out of style even then) so I doubt she would have liked anything as she didn’t really like the room she worked on she just faked it better than with her own room.

Edited by fountain
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, fountain said:

Jesse was a person I personally think has bad taste (I mean look at her hair that was way out of style even then)

That's what was killing me as I watched the marathon of old episodes Friday and Saturday -- homeowner after homeowner decorated themselves every bit as badly as they decorated their homes, so they either have no taste or bad taste.  If they have no taste, and know it - that being why they're bringing in a designer, because they don't know how to do it themselves (well, that and free labor plus 15 minutes of fame) - then they should be happy someone at least gave them a starting point and some ideas.  If they have bad taste, meaning they think their room looked pretty good before, and they've seen the show and know no one but Frank is going to do anything remotely close to the countrified crap they have going on, then they never should have signed up because the end result was inevitably not going to be their style.

When a designer gives them a room that's downright bizarre and difficult to undo, I have sympathy before them, even though they knew the risk when they signed up.  But when it's someone who goes apeshit over a cohesive, normal room that simply isn't the style/color they'd have picked and can be easily changed, forget it.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, fountain said:

I watched brown room Jesse last night.  I will say I don’t really consider the colour painted to be brown, it was taupe which is a grey beige and pretty neutral.  If someone hates brown I would think they mean dark brown not just anything with a beige-brown tint.  The room was nice and they could just repaint.  Jesse was a person I personally think has bad taste (I mean look at her hair that was way out of style even then) so I doubt she would have liked anything as she didn’t really like the room she worked on she just faked it better than with her own room.

To me, taupe is the worst kind of brown: a totally nothing color.  I hated the room too, but her reaction was really extreme for something that was mostly just paint.  It's not like Laurie used liquid nails to glue things to the wall, or put thousands of staple holes in them.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

To me, taupe is the worst kind of brown: a totally nothing color.  I hated the room too, but her reaction was really extreme for something that was mostly just paint.  It's not like Laurie used liquid nails to glue things to the wall, or put thousands of staple holes in them.

Yeah I guess that is true but some walls I think need to have a nothing colour or else your house is way too colourful.  These days the colour would be more light grey or putty kind of base colours, back in TS data base colours were slightly warmer.

I have my own hate colour and it is yellow.  I could live with a goldish beige or a greyish yellow but things like canary yellow on walls is awful and while I wouldn’t freak out on TS, I would hate it.  Gen once used a yellow in a kitchen and that was awful.

Jesse has said in the beginning she liked orange but at the end said she disliked orange. Laurie’s room would be out of style today but it was in style then.

• Love 1

I don't remember any room being in style but I don't remember any stylish home owers either!  Stripes and the color red were a big deal to them back then. A friend of mine was talking about painting her dining room red until her daughter ssid, "Mom please run this by Wings before you buy anything."  She did and I said, OMG no! 

Two carpenters will make a difference this season one would think.  

6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

The point was that Laurie knew she didn't want any brown, and did it deliberately.  I'd have been pissed too.

42 minutes ago, auntjess said:

The point was that Laurie knew she didn't want any brown, and did it deliberately.  I'd have been pissed too.

I'd have been pissed, but I don't think I would've attacked my friend on camera, physically or verbally.  That seemed extreme to me just for paint.

6 hours ago, Wings said:

I don't remember any room being in style but I don't remember any stylish home owers either!  Stripes and the color red were a big deal to them back then. A friend of mine was talking about painting her dining room red until her daughter ssid, "Mom please run this by Wings before you buy anything."  She did and I said, OMG no! 

Two carpenters will make a difference this season one would think.  

A lot of the less outlandish designs were in style for the time the show was filmed.  Styles go in and out of fashion all the time.

She didn't do it deliberately though.  There's an article posted somewhere where the home owner in all the prep and interviews for the show never said she didn't like brown.  Paige said the first they (meaning anyone associated with Trading Spaces) heard she didn't like brown was during that introductory video, which was shot the first day, and they were all surprised.  And it was too late then.

• Love 5

That makes sense with the pre-reveal segment where Paige goes over the project with Laurie (that and the reveal was the only part I saw), because Paige mentions the color scheme and Laurie says, "Which I've learned may be an issue." 

• Love 3

Jesse also said in the opening video that she liked and would want orange too.  I probably didn’t notice that the first time I watched but on the recent repeat it stuck out to me.  Then in the reveal she made a comment on the orange and not liking it either.  Anyway she was interesting as I thought her fighting was all a joke. 

It is interesting to take a look back and see all the black.  Black just isn’t that in style right now, if things are really dark they are black-brown not outright black.

Old episodes have been running in the background of my day.  I had forgotten the penchant they all had for dark colors.   So many rooms are terrible.  Laurie is working on peach room #103

• Love 1

Didn't they used to have a part where the designer and one of the team members would go shopping (like to a thrift store) and they took some cash from their budget and bought a few things ? And they even sometimes bargained with the store manager to save some bucks ? Or am I thinking of another show ?

51 minutes ago, Benji said:

Didn't they used to have a part where the designer and one of the team members would go shopping (like to a thrift store) and they took some cash from their budget and bought a few things ? And they even sometimes bargained with the store manager to save some bucks ? Or am I thinking of another show ?

I remember a show doing that, too.  I don't think it was design star

. Now this is bugging me. 

Edited by Wings
29 minutes ago, Wings said:

I remember a show doing that, too.  I don't think it was design star

. Now this is bugging me. 

Sorry about that ! I was pretty sure it wasn't TS, but thought I'd ask the question because it's bugging me that I can't remember ! ?

I never watched Design Star so that can't be it. Aaargh !

• Love 1

I remember that too. Is it possible it was when they started making changes to TS? Like the choices between three rooms, no Paige, lots of sob stories? I only watched sporadically then. I feel like the only other design shows I watched were Surprise by Design and While You Were Out - couldn't have been those!

There was an old episode on recently where Doug needed foam, the homeowners he was working with conveniently knew of a good shop right up the block, and the three of them went in and got what they needed, so there was at least one with staged local shopping, but I don't know if it was a regular/recurring segment at some point in the series.

I saw one today with Laurie and Laura and one team did go to a store (Home Depot).  I only turned on the tv halfway in but I didn’t remember the episode at all so I have no context for the shopping.  I don’t think I paid that much attention in the later seasons.  They shop on Property Brothers and their other show Buying and Selling.

When they went to picking from 3 rooms--with one being the bonus budget room--they introduced shopping segments.  Since the homeowner's were picking the rooms at the start of show, the designer couldn't come in with a pre-determined design and supplies.  I think the story the show was selling was that the designer had a day to plan and source paint and materials.

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure I remember shopping trips on Design Star and I recall David shopping on Color Splash too.  They really don't have time on TS because of all the work they're supposedly doing in two days.  There's no way two people can paint a deconstructed penguin on three walls and a ceiling, blow out a couple hundred eggs, do all the other stuff and still have an hour or two to make a shopping trip.  I know they have an unseen crew working but they're trying to make us believe that the couple and carpenter are doing most of the work.  I won't buy a trip to a store unless I can see that it's right down the street.

• Love 1

I just rewatched Crying Pam from the marathon. I had been firmly in the “eh she knew what she signed up for” camp, and I still am. But at the same time I do feel a little bad because she and her husband were such good sports and hard workers, and they clicked so well with Frank. And I will say her neighbors fought for her fireplace with Doug to the point he was pissed about it.  And the couples themselves seemed to really love and respect each other. You could see Pam’s husband’s heart break for her when she started to cry. So yeah, this show had and has homeowners who are disappointed with the results but thems the breaks. It’s just a bit of a bummer that it was Pam who fell in this category, and not some entitled or lazy homeowner.

It reminds me how they did a celebrity episode with Sara Rue and Andy Dick. Sara and her husband worked with Vern and busted their asses and got a great room for Andy.  Andy, living up to his last name, screwed around and hardly did anything (Genevieve was his designer and she was pulling out her hair to get him to do anything.) Result? Andy got a dynamite room and Sara’s was a half-assed mess. The Trading Spaces gods can be cruel.

• Love 2

I remember loving this show when it was on but looking back these were some ugly rooms. There was one I got a kick out of the other night.  A couple had a kitchen with white cabinets and gray walls and hated how boring it was. Genevieve came in and painted the cabinets lime green and the walls burgundy. The homeowners loved it.  I think every show on HGTV now features the coveted white and gray kitchen,  lol. I personally am over the grey and white trend but I would choose that anyday over that monstrosity. 

Edited by mscav
  • Love 1

Watched an episode with Laurie and blonde designer I don't remember. 

She and Laurie were watching the reveals on closed circuit TV.  They did 2 mobile homes for young women. 

Blonde designer's woman did like her  trailer!! As they watched, Laurie kept insisting....no she likes it...she is just tired.. ..she loves it she is just overwhelmed.....and on and on.  I knew a phoney just like her.  She had the same soft accent and manner of delivery. 

• Love 2

I am watching a 2002 Gen and Hildi and they both did a pretty good job (especially considering the decor style then).  Gen had the painted little wooden boxes of different heights on the wall.  Hildi had a very pretty softly blue bedroom that would still be pretty stylish today and the catch is the walls were fabric but they looked pretty good.

• Love 2

One of the things that bugs about Original Flavor TS is that they always make crap "art" for the rooms. Maybe it's just because I have a small  collection  of actual art but don't come into my house and replace actual art with hotel-room quality crap to "match" the room.

Edited by jcbrown
Because typos
  • Love 1

Just saw Hildi's all black dining room with the obnoxiously-loud yellow table and chairs. Was she always so unconcerned-to-the-point-of-rude whether or not the neighbors' liked the idea of her design/were worried the homeowners would hate it?

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

Just saw Hildi's all black dining room with the obnoxiously-loud yellow table and chairs. Was she always so unconcerned-to-the-point-of-rude whether or not the neighbors' liked the idea of her design/were worried the homeowners would hate it?

OMG! I just this episode!! Hildi was such a stubborn witch about the color!!  (Although I kind of liked what they hung on the walls, even if I would not like them on my wall.)  And eggs!!  What is with the eggs?  Just to put in vases and bowls with flowers?   I got the impression that the couple who had to blow out the eggs felt that they were being punished.  At the reveal, the couple were honest in their reaction but not dramatic about it.  I liked how the wife matter-of-factly  stated that the painters would be there on Monday to repaint.  And the bright yellow table and chairs :(   Their neighbors were honest too, saying that they tried to stand up to Hildi but that she would not budge.

I kind of liked the room Laurie did for the girls.  

The episode that followed - I enjoyed mostly because of Vern.  He listened when he was told that the pregnant wife did NOT want anything black.  He changed his game plan to other colors that would work just fine with the rest of his design.  He even said that he wanted something softer (?) and more comfy in their style.  I liked him for that.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, pinguina said:

OMG! I just this episode!! Hildi was such a stubborn witch about the color!!  (Although I kind of liked what they hung on the walls, even if I would not like them on my wall.)  And eggs!!  What is with the eggs?  Just to put in vases and bowls with flowers?   I got the impression that the couple who had to blow out the eggs felt that they were being punished.  At the reveal, the couple were honest in their reaction but not dramatic about it.  I liked how the wife matter-of-factly  stated that the painters would be there on Monday to repaint.  And the bright yellow table and chairs :(   Their neighbors were honest too, saying that they tried to stand up to Hildi but that she would not budge.

I kind of liked the room Laurie did for the girls.  

The episode that followed - I enjoyed mostly because of Vern.  He listened when he was told that the pregnant wife did NOT want anything black.  He changed his game plan to other colors that would work just fine with the rest of his design.  He even said that he wanted something softer (?) and more comfy in their style.  I liked him for that.

I thought the room for the girls was adorable but my only concern with little children rooms like that is that the girls will grow up and they won't like the pastel color scheme so much. But both of the girls seemed young so at least they've got a few years, if not more.

Yes, Vern was always flexible or at least willing to compromise and listen, and I did like how those tables and furniture turned out.  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Hildi's attitude was about as horrible as the room turned out to be.  And she painted those chairs bright yellow, with more than one coat, then she put polyurethane on them so they would look "laquered."  So, she basically ruined the chairs.  (And I know the homeowners signed up for this - but come on Hildi - you knew they didn't want yellow...at least try to give them a way out when you know going in they're going to hate it.) 

Having said that - I did like the wall art, and I did like the black and white fabric for the chairs.   Isn't this the same house where the owners didn't want the chair rail removed? 

Edited by mwell345
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, mwell345 said:

(And I know the homeowners signed up for this - but come on Hildi - you knew they didn't want yellow...at least try to give them a way out when you know going in they're going to hate it.) 

That is what has me convinced Hildi doesn't give a rats ass about the homeowners at all. I get having your vision and wanting to see it through. That's okay. That's what they signed up for, but don't make it something the poor homeowners are going to have to go through hell to fix. I especially hate it when there is one "off limits" piece in the house and that is the thing the designer zeros in on and says must be painted/changed in some way. 

If you were a decent designer you'd be able to work with the piece without changing it. These, however, are not good designers. They are lunatics who think they are artists. Well, only some of them. I do think Vern is a very good designer. Frank is, but his style is not my cuppa. Gen is hit or miss. I can't quite figure her out. Sometimes she seems to try to give the client what they want and sometimes she seems to just want to do her wacky vision no matter what they say. Doug and Hildi just want to "express their creative vision" no matter what. 

• Love 6

In another episode last night, Vern was able to buy his homeowners a new sectional sofa for roughly 600 dollars and still stay in budget.  If yellow chairs were so freaking important to Hillary, why not purchase 4 chairs from a second hand shop and ruin them?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

If you were a decent designer you'd be able to work with the piece without changing it. These, however, are not good designers. They are lunatics who think they are artists. Well, only some of them. I do think Vern is a very good designer. Frank is, but his style is not my cuppa. Gen is hit or miss. I can't quite figure her out. Sometimes she seems to try to give the client what they want and sometimes she seems to just want to do her wacky vision no matter what they say. Doug and Hildi just want to "express their creative vision" no matter what. 

Very true.  I'm not even sure the "lunatics" think they're artists.  They think it's all a game, and the wilder outcome, the better.  Not caring that people have to live with the end results, or spend money they may not have to correct the results.

Gen gives the client what they want, if yellow and green hippy-dippy-trippy is what they want.  She's less destructive than Doug or Hildi, but yet I think she's less talented.  If her rooms end up looking good, it's almost an accident.  Doug and Hildi are quite capable of doing a good job, but they've thrown that overboard in service of drama and attention.  Hildi's OTT work has brought her way more media attention than if she simply put out pretty rooms.

13 hours ago, jcbrown said:

One of the things that bugs about Original Flavor TS is that they always make crap "art" for the rooms. Maybe it's just because I have a small  collection  of actual art but don't come into my house and replace actual art with hotel-roon quality crap to"match" the room.

I agree.  It's such a waste of budget and time.  Unless one of the HOs is an artist, their work is almost never going to be something their neighbors will want on their walls.  

On 4/10/2018 at 6:09 AM, fountain said:

Laurie’s room would be out of style today but it was in style then.

A lot has been said about how styles have changed since Y2K, but for me, the biggest thing that dates these rooms is the television!  Almost none of the entertainment centers built on this show could hold any of the flatscreen/widescreen TVs everyone has now.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

A lot has been said about how styles have changed since Y2K, but for me, the biggest thing that dates these rooms is the television!  Almost none of the entertainment centers built on this show could hold any of the flatscreen/widescreen TVs everyone has now.

I watched the episode with the porch Doug did last night and laughed out loud when they installed the boxy tv! I imagine a nice flat tv occupies that space now! 

Edited by Nordly Beaumont
  • Love 2

I liked Hildi's black, white, and yellow dining room (I'd have probably ultimately changed the yellow to a less-bright version, or maybe gone red, but I'd have kept it at least a while), but I have so many of these piling up I only watch the reveals, to hear Paige and the designer talk about the process, see the before, see a montage of creating the after, and then see the homeowners' reaction.  I take it they said going in they hated yellow and wanted their chairs left alone?

I thought it was a little over the top to get upset about that room, not because I liked it, but because it was all paint.  I thought she gave them a great idea with the three-color theme, and they could keep the white curtains (and the white with black accent fabric on the chairs) and change the wall color and table color to new different colors of their choice.  They didn't have to remove 6000 staples or scrape hay and glue off their walls.

• Love 2

Re: Doug's Route 66 Car room / Kia's military living room. The idea of Doug's room was cool for a five year old but that boy is not going to be five forever and that room was completely dwarfed by the two car halves and the red half didn't even get the toy box. Where was that boy supposed to play with all of his toys? In a few years he'll be getting homework in school, where is he supposed to do that? It's going to be so hard to take that car out of the room when he inevitably outgrows it.

There's not much to say about the Kia room. The wife was disappointed even though she tried to put on a good face and if it was me, the parachute on the wall would bother me more than the camo cushions and border on the wall. And Kia was so obnoxious to Ty and Paige when Ty said he couldn't build her the wall.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME FIND THIS EPISODE???

My mother and I used to be obsessed with trading spaces and their British sister show, "Changing rooms" and there was a crossover between the two at one point! It was a season that Carter was in if that helps! But finding information on either show online nowadays is almost IMPOSSIBLE!!! 

Does anyone else remember this episode? What season it is? If I can find it online somewhere? 

2 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Re: Doug's Route 66 Car room / Kia's military living room. The idea of Doug's room was cool for a five year old but that boy is not going to be five forever and that room was completely dwarfed by the two car halves and the red half didn't even get the toy box. Where was that boy supposed to play with all of his toys? In a few years he'll be getting homework in school, where is he supposed to do that? It's going to be so hard to take that car out of the room when he inevitably outgrows it.

I don't think the toy box not getting done is an issue at all, because the neighbors knew how to do it and planned to help them complete the project; it just wasn't feasible in two days.  But the cars taking up so much of the floor space is a huge issue, I think, for the reasons you mentioned.  Maybe there's a homework nook somewhere else in the house, but I think he should have a desk in his own room, and he needs room to sprawl out on the floor and play with his toys.

There's not much to say about the Kia room. The wife was disappointed even though she tried to put on a good face and if it was me, the parachute on the wall would bother me more than the camo cushions and border on the wall. And Kia was so obnoxious to Ty and Paige when Ty said he couldn't build her the wall.

At least she used the grey, black, and white camo, but she over-used it.  As fabric it would have been okay, sparingly, but the border was totally out of place.  And the parachute curtains were ugly, and would make an annoying noise every time you rustled the fabric.  The room was just too on the nose - they're in the military, so I'll fill the entire room with military-themed decor.  I didn't get a good look at the shelves the woman was complaining were too contemporary, though.

Two rooms isn't enough to judge, but so far Kia looks like she may challenge Frank for the top slot on my "Do Not Touch My Room" list - I've now seen her make a guest bed look like a grave and a living room look like a military surplus store.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, GCL1998 said:

My mother and I used to be obsessed with trading spaces and their British sister show, "Changing rooms" and there was a crossover between the two at one point!

This doesn't quite sound like what you're looking for, but they just re-ran a season three episode that took place in London, with Andy Kane (from Changing Rooms) as the carpenter and Hildi and Gen as the designers.

Kia is as annoying as Laurie.  A camo room for a couple in the Air Force.  Good god. 

Hildi's dinning black room was grim but there have been worse.  They were going to trash the furniture anyway.  Expensive to hire painters given how many coats are needed to change it though. Nothing compares to Doug's white room.  Those men spent countless hours stripping white paint off off to expose the wood.  And the fireplace as well.  They have to do that all over again.  

Laurie 's girls room was too matchy matchy and uptight just like she is.  It was not a cool room at all.  It is straight out of a Disney cartoon, not in a good wa

• Love 1