Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: Feeling Conflicted

*sigh* I've grown tired of all of the people at the tv station.  I'm actually looking forward to Niecy coming to NY to hook up with the Tinder dude because we all know that's a trainwreck waiting to happen.

Kara still bugs.  I want to like her but she's too hyper or something, and I do not like how she gets all up in your face when she's speaking to you.  I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop with the baseball guy because he's too laid back and he's going to reach a tipping point with her and just pop off.     

(edited)

Maybe I'm just too far along to remember accurately, but I don't think I ever blew up everything in my life because I was a giant bag of irrepressible hormones.  But definitely not for five freaking years.

Mary Jane sitting in her (glass!) office and nuzzling her face a couple inches from Justin's groin made my eyes roll so far back in my head I could see my brain.

ETA:  Sure, let's have Niecy drive that train into NYC and derail it over Tinderdick.  Why not?  At least she has the excuse of being young and stupid.

Edited by candall
Never thought I'd be asking for more Niecy.
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, candall said:

ETA:  Sure, let's have Niecy drive that train into NYC and derail it over Tinderdick.  Why not?  At least she has the excuse of being young and stupid.

Tinderdick.  Love it!

• Love 2

Also, I don't understand why Kara expects Mary Jane to tell her all her business.  Why does Kara need to know that MJ broke up with Lee, and why should MJ feel guilty for not telling her the truth right away?  I don't see MJ getting all up in Kara's relationship with the baseball player.  I swear, sometimes MJ acts like she's afraid of disappointing Kara.  It just doesn't seem like a "balanced" friendship.  

• Love 4

I don't understand why Helen is so keen to get all up in Mary Jane's business. As long as MJ is happy and healthy mama should mind her business!

19 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I'm actually looking forward to Niecy coming to NY to hook up with the Tinder dude because we all know that's a trainwreck waiting to happen.

THIS! I'm a horrible human being because I cannot wait to see this play out.

Whatever happened to PJ and Patrick?

30 minutes ago, woodstock said:

I don't understand why Helen is so keen to get all up in Mary Jane's business. As long as MJ is happy and healthy mama should mind her business!

Well, Helen was actually planning MJ's and Lee's wedding when she was on the phone talking about the Mississippi house, so assuming that MJ knew about this, I can at least understand Helen's concern.  It's Kara who needs to butt out. 

• Love 1
On 7/26/2017 at 0:42 PM, candall said:

Maybe I'm just too far along to remember accurately, but I don't think I ever blew up everything in my life because I was a giant bag of irrepressible hormones.  But definitely not for five freaking years.

Mary Jane sitting in her (glass!) office and nuzzling her face a couple inches from Justin's groin made my eyes roll so far back in my head I could see my brain.

No, you kind of lose the excuse of being young and stupid when you have two kids that depend upon you.  That should make you grow up and start making some different decisions.  Oh well, another episode of Dumb and Dumber....

i really enjoyed this episode, it was breezy and made me laugh and moved along nicely.  surprisingly, i even enjoyed seeing justin's more tender side, but that's probably because in my younger days i was only attracted to men like him (which my roommate and i called 'charming unattainable dickheads'). (a habit i did manage to eschew, finally, after a lot of therapy, which, i do acknowledge, mary jane so desperately needs!).

i actually love the friendship between mary jane and kara.  it seems raw and real, like they've been through the trenches together, had each other's backs more than once, and also have had times where they've butted heads and fallen out with one another.  i think why mary jane felt she had to lie to kara, and felt bad about it, and why kara also was peeved about it, is because they are very close friends with a lot of history.  i also like that both characters are not one-dimensionally good and have struggles in some areas of their lives (mary jane with relationships and kara with her children/former marriage).

i did want to punch the blond racist girl MJ was interviewing, so i have mixed feelings about the storyline of her being hired as the new correspondent.  it's unfortunately pretty realistic and garrett's explanation is probably close to the kinds of logic many newsrooms and televisions producers are applying in the current climate.  yet if the show provides some opportunities for this alt-right woman to get called out on her racism and other oppressive views, then i'll probably find that pleasurable, if not outright cathartic. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, veronicalodge44 said:

i actually love the friendship between mary jane and kara.  it seems raw and real, like they've been through the trenches together, had each other's backs more than once, and also have had times where they've butted heads and fallen out with one another.  i think why mary jane felt she had to lie to kara, and felt bad about it, and why kara also was peeved about it, is because they are very close friends with a lot of history.  i also like that both characters are not one-dimensionally good and have struggles in some areas of their lives (mary jane with relationships and kara with her children/former marriage).

But these are not teenagers, or even twenty-somethings; they are grown women.  True, they've been through thick and thin together, but they are separate people who live separate lives and not every detail of their lives needs to be shared between them.     

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/28/2017 at 0:26 AM, veronicalodge44 said:

i really enjoyed this episode, it was breezy and made me laugh and moved along nicely.  surprisingly, i even enjoyed seeing justin's more tender side, but that's probably because in my younger days i was only attracted to men like him (which my roommate and i called 'charming unattainable dickheads'). (a habit i did manage to eschew, finally, after a lot of therapy, which, i do acknowledge, mary jane so desperately needs!).

With every Jason-MJ scene, my mind is screaming, Danger! Danger! Mary Jane, you in danger, girl! I just don't see how MJ quickly became so blindly trusting of Justin, considering the recent pattern of betrayals from Ronda and even Justin himself. Is his dick that good??? I must admit that the love scenes between Justin and MJ are tender and hot as hell! Am I as bad as MJ because I didn't get this tingly and excited about the love scenes with Lee? I really liked Lee and thought he was good for MJ, but I guess Justin has that "charming dickhead" vibe that turns her on. Thanks for your transparency, veronicalodge44. I was never attracted to that kind of guy, so I don't think that's why I'm enjoying their love scenes. They're just well-choreographed, and the lighting is perfect. Oh yeah, and Michael Ealy is fine AF. I loved the stylist's description of Justin. I can't recall his exact words, but they cracked me up. 

And I've always liked Kara, too. But I don't like what the show is doing with her character this season. Or not doing. Her only storylines have been the baseball player boyfriend and her troubles at work. We got a few mentions of her kids and ex-husband in earlier episodes, but they have largely been forgotten. Has she even said that this firing might give her the opportunity to move closer to her kids again? Does she still have career prospects in Atlanta? 

And screw you, MJ, for hijacking Kara's preparation for her arbitration hearing and turning it into a BS grief session. I did find it funny that she recited her stylist's break-up story as her own. 

ETA: Minor nitpick: I know I'm a grammar snob, but a broadcast journalist should not tell her man to "Lay down" on her bed. (It's "Lie down"). Yes, MJ was not on the air and doesn't have to speak with 100% correct grammar at home, but as a journalist, the Lie/Lay thing should be ingrained in her brain. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, topanga said:

And I've always liked Kara, too. But I don't like what the show is doing with her character this season. Or not doing. Her only storylines have been the baseball player boyfriend and her troubles at work. We got a few mentions of her kids and ex-husband in earlier episodes, but they have largely been forgotten. Has she even said that this firing might give her the opportunity to move closer to her kids again? Does she still have career prospects in Atlanta? 

Honestly, I guess that's been my main issue with Kara--that she has always seemed to be much more interested in Mary Jane's life than her own life, and even her kids' lives.  I would even go so far as to say that she's obsessed with Mary Jane.  Mary Jane isn't the only one who could use some therapy.   

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 4

Sometimes I think everyone on this show needs therapy!

On 7/28/2017 at 0:26 AM, veronicalodge44 said:

i did want to punch the blond racist girl MJ was interviewing, so i have mixed feelings about the storyline of her being hired as the new correspondent.  it's unfortunately pretty realistic and garrett's explanation is probably close to the kinds of logic many newsrooms and televisions producers are applying in the current climate.  yet if the show provides some opportunities for this alt-right woman to get called out on her racism and other oppressive views, then i'll probably find that pleasurable, if not outright cathartic. 

I had forgotten about this new development. The blonde girl looked like someone you'd see on Fox News. I'm actually curious to see how this plays out.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, woodstock said:

Sometimes I think everyone on this show needs therapy!

I had forgotten about this new development. The blonde girl looked like someone you'd see on Fox News. I'm actually curious to see how this plays out.

I think she's supposed to be like Tomi Lahren

And yes, please send MJ, Kara, Ronda, Garrett, and even Justin's ass to therapy. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, topanga said:

I think she's supposed to be like Tomi Lahren

And yes, please send MJ, Kara, Ronda, Garrett, and even Justin's ass to therapy. 

Please, please include Niecy! 

• Love 5