Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Swing Shift

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, beesknees said:

Dip shit Adam.  He played it wrong and blew it.  The crew would have been talking about Adam and Hannah for days on end  if he would not have felt the uber-insecure need to broadcast  all the deets to the crew.

Alcohol.  Drunk brainstorms usually aren't the best strategies  :)

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, beesknees said:

Adam is the most insecure, cringe-worthy douche ever, I mean EVER.  That scene at the bar when he was gesturing about, telling Malia that he and Hannah were gonna go back to the boat so "he and Hannah could get it in" or get it on or whatever the hell he was trying to convey... OY.  I felt true second-hand embarrassment for him.  I wish I had one of those foam bricks that one can throw at the TV!  I need one of those.

He said "poke it out".  I remember because it is the grossest thing I have heard this week.

• Love 13

While Adam is douchey, I did think his reply that they were going back to the boat to "poke it out" was said sarcastically.  He was responding to Malia's question of whether he was planning to hook up with Hannah.  Definitely a crude euphemism but he wasn't implying that was actually going to happen.  

• Love 7
(edited)
15 minutes ago, snarts said:

While Adam is douchey, I did think his reply that they were going back to the boat to "poke it out" was said sarcastically.  He was responding to Malia's question of whether he was planning to hook up with Hannah.  Definitely a crude euphemism but he wasn't implying that was actually going to happen.  

...and have little idea why Malia would care? Why is it Bugs and Malia were throwing "shade" from afar, just watching Adam & Hannah's every move? I know Malia got misty thinking of how she's coming off to the rest of the crew! Her deflecting this way makes her look desperate and hypocritical ! Hasn't she caused enough drama for the season? ;-)

Edited by Avon.Blakes7
  • Love 2
(edited)
56 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

He said "poke it out".  I remember because it is the grossest thing I have heard this week.

NOOOOOOO.  Poke it out?  I don't even know what that means.  The grossest thing up until this was when Adam asked Malia if he could smear that butter-like or frosting like substance between her butt cheeks an episode or two ago.  I usually fold laundry or do other mundane chores while watching reality TV so I'm not exactly sure.  I'm usually numbed out when watching reality TV.

In addition to that, Malia's got some nerve getting all verklempt and teary-eyed when she talks about what the rest of the crew thinks of her.  Yeah, they think you're a ho.  Oh, and Malia - you told fellow co-workers you fucked your boss on your last boat.  Well, if you fucked the captain wouldn't that be fucking your boss's boss?

Maybe it's just me, but if you're a deckhand and you screw your boss wouldn't you be effing the bosun?  The captain is the boss of the bosun, no?  Therefore your boss's boss.  

Edited by beesknees
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

She aims high.  Cut out the middleman :)

And then Malia lies trying to minimize the damage by saying her "boss" which makes everyone go "Oh".  Now if I was a crew member and someone told me they had sex with the captain I'd be like "HUH? WHAT?"

Edited by beesknees
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, ExplainItAgain said:

@Avon.Blakes7, @Mindthinkr, @Hockeymom and others, yes! there will be a reunion this season :) Here's Lauren's tweet.

I guess the show finally got popular enough or there is more scandalous stuff to come!

Thanks @Passing Strange for quoting.

Also, Adam is a psycho. The end.

Thank you @ExplainItAgain  That is indeed good news. A reunion for them to hash it out on and/or more dirty laundry to be hung. 

(edited)
9 hours ago, Hockeymom said:
9 hours ago, ShawnaLanne said:

She complains about early duty,  she complains about late duty,  she lied about texts to make Hannah look worse,  she asks for more responsibility and then complains about it. She's envious, petty and jealous. 

She's a disgruntled employee. That's how they behave. Bad management causes bad attitudes.

True, however, she started this during the first charter. She didn't give Hannah a chance to be a decent manager before she was telling anyone who would listen about how she would have handled the cleaning and setting up of the boat and how Hannah's way was inferior. That's far beyond disgruntled. She's pissed with casting that she wasn't picked to be chief stew.

Also, I caught the original iPad-gate episode last night as a rerun. Bugs said to the camera originally that the texts started after charter. It was only after she showed the iPad to Bobby (who agreed with her that they started after charter), that they magically were occurring during charter.

Edited by MegD
Forgot to add my second paragraph.
  • Love 9

I get that Malia thinks her promotion came from Sandy because that's what Wes told her, but it came from Wes because Sandy told him to pick ANY of the three.  He chose the one hems been making out with and the one with no experience.  If I were Bobby I'd be going to Sandy about it because it does affect his career.  Malia really thinks she's a better deckhand than Bobby?

Adam and Hannah were just messing around.  She was trying to help him make Malia jealous and it seemed to be working.

Bugsy bugs.  There's one charter left, get off the "I'm the hardest worker here line". If she's so hardworking, how does she know what the others are up to?

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

Bugsy bugs.  There's one charter left, get off the "I'm the hardest worker here line". If she's so hardworking, how does she know what the others are up to?

Good point. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, beesknees said:

Maybe it's just me, but if you're a deckhand and you screw your boss wouldn't you be effing the bosun?  The captain is the boss of the bosun, no?  Therefore your boss's boss

She wasn't a deck hand on her last boat she was a Dive master on a Dive boat, so her boss was most likely the captain.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Hockeymom said:

So I guess I'm defending Bugs. I think in the beginning she was there to do a good job. Remember when her grandmother died, she just put her head down and pushed through it. 

To me, she lost respect for Hannah early on. While I do like Hannah, she shoots herself in the foot on a regular basis. Getting sloppy drunk with the crew just diminishes her authority. Sure, rank has its privileges. But, if you are going to be the boss, then be the boss. It might take a little self control. You can't party with your staff, let them see you staggering, and then claim rank while you nurse a hangover. If they see you as weak, they will start questioning your competence. As we see, it creates resentment.

I guess Wes shouldn't go out with the crew either.

The Captain is higher than the Chief Stew, I believe.  

Bugs signed up to be on the show.  She probably knew that on this show, Hannah is the Chief Stew.  If Bugs didn't agree then she shouldn't have signed up for the show.  

Resentments are expectation waiting to happen.  Bugs expects Hannah to act a certain way, because she doesn't, Bugs gets a resentment, that's not Hannah's problem, that's Bugs'.  

• Love 6
(edited)

The thing is, I've had bosses I've disliked, I've had bosses I haven't respected, and I've had them much longer than a couple of weeks and yet, somehow,I've still TREATED them with respect and I've still been a good employee. Bugs' attitude and behavior are her own. Just like how Bugs responded to the iPad saga has NOTHING to do with Hannah's behavior or whether or not we agree with Hannah's behavior, Bugs can decide to treat and act respectfully towards her superior or she can spend her time complaining and eating bittercakes and drinking bitter tea.

Confronting Hannah next week to tell her she doesn't think she's doing a good job? Um, congratulations on finally using your words to say what you've proudly been passive-aggressively implying for weeks now. I hope Bugs feels gratified because I doubt anyone else is going to care. 

I'm glad there's going to be a reunion. I don't think they planned to have one, but this season has drawn a lot more drama and attention and that is Andy Cohen's crack. I wonder if Adam will come after his Twitter disappearance.  Considering how the crew is STILL divided on Twitter and is rather gross about it all(especially Bobby), I'd actually like seeing Adam there,

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

Confronting Hannah next week to tell her she doesn't think she's doing a good job? Um, congratulations on finally using your words to say what you've proudly been passive-aggressively implying for weeks now. I hope Bugs feels gratified because I doubt anyone else is going to care. 

Bugs seems to really think she is very important and everyone should follow her profound words of wisdom.  She's in for a surprise  :)

• Love 5

I don't feel like we've seen Hannah doing less work than we usually see Kate doing when she's Chief Stew on Below Deck.  The one thing that Kate seems to enjoy more is putting together the "tablescapes", and Hannah has delegated that to Bugs.  But Hannah is a manager, and more of her work is going to be behind the scenes.  That's WHY they have other stewardesses that can do the hands-on stuff!

• Love 8

I can only speak for myself, but I'd rather sling plates for a thirteen-course dinner with wine pairings than have to book travel "to somewhere warm" for an entire group.  

Oyyyy, Malia.  Not a good look.  I can't handle any more of this, between her pouting at being ignored and her instagram comments about "haters."  Criiiiiiiiiiinge.  

I feel bad for Adam, but also?  Calling someone disgusting is pretty low.  Still, I have to award points for his comment about the guests looking like the cast of the game Clue, because I literally laughed out loud at that. 

On another note, until Max called out Malia, I'd almost forgotten he was on this show.  You're aces, Max!  Speak up more!

• Love 6
1 minute ago, LucyHoneychrrch said:

Still, I have to award points for his comment about the guests looking like the cast of the game Clue, because I literally laughed out loud at that. 

Oh lol that is funny! 

• Love 7
20 hours ago, PumpkinPK said:

Hannah's quite a bit taller and bigger than I am, but even so, as a woman I would never physically place myself between two fighting guys (especially if one was drunk).  Anything could happen.

It cracked me up that Hannah got between the guys, and big ole dumb Bobby just stood there gaping.  If anyone should be breaking up a fight, it's that big lug.

20 hours ago, beesknees said:

I did this once in a bar between a relative and some drunk stranger and I got knocked the eff out.  I was on the floor seeing stars.  Swirling stars just like in the cartoons!

I love this!  I mean, not that you got hit but, you know!!

• Love 5
7 hours ago, slaterain said:

For the life of me I cannot figure out how Wes got cast for this show. His tweets were variations of "don't be mean" and "if can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." He's like a normal half decent person. Whereas, Lauren, Bugs, Malia, Adam, and Max are fairly typical reality show people.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

For the life of me I cannot figure out how Wes got cast for this show. His tweets were variations of "don't be mean" and "if can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." He's like a normal half decent person. Whereas, Lauren, Bugs, Malia, Adam, and Max are fairly typical reality show people.

I don't know, Wes has shown and proven that he's capable of getting right in the middle of the petty bullshit when it suits him.  He likes to act as if he's so mature and above it all, but he's not innocent.  Promoting Malia based on his personal like of her and trying to repeatedly pass it off as Sandy's decision when that is a bald faced lie is one example.  And then trying to be all "it's over, let it go" when anyone calls him out on it.  He's also an idiot for trying to say that Hannah is "unprofessional" for kissing Jason while absolving himself of any impropriety for the Malia shit.  Hannah was totally wrong, but Wes sweetie?  Which situation has caused more drama and discord among the crew?  Hannah kissing a long gone guest or your continued triangle with Malia.  Wes likes to pat himself on the back way too much for someone who's had their fair share of petty drama.  He's not as innocent as he obviously believes himself to be.  

• Love 6
On 7/26/2017 at 9:20 PM, Neurochick said:

I guess Wes shouldn't go out with the crew either.

The Captain is higher than the Chief Stew, I believe.  

Bugs signed up to be on the show.  She probably knew that on this show, Hannah is the Chief Stew.  If Bugs didn't agree then she shouldn't have signed up for the show.  

Resentments are expectation waiting to happen.  Bugs expects Hannah to act a certain way, because she doesn't, Bugs gets a resentment, that's not Hannah's problem, that's Bugs'.  

I'm not a fan of Bugs, but I can understand her issues with Hannah as a boss.

Bugs takes this profession  seriously- which was covered earlier in the season when she was talking about how she knew Wes, and the respect she had for him bc yachting was a real career for him, as it is with her.  So taking that into consideration, it must be very hard to have a manager who is not as overtly serious career-wise, and may not be helping her juniors elevate their skills.  Personally speaking, I have had great bosses who have served as mentors- either by leading by example, or by teaching me how to improve my weaker points and encouraging me to acknowledge/utilize my stronger points.  On the flip side,  I have also had bosses who only care about getting themselves further up the ladder and don't care about developing their team.  When you deal with the latter, it's difficult not to have a bit of resentment.  And from what I've seen, Hannah is definitely the latter.

So, in that sense, I cans ee why Bugs is hard on Hannah in her talking heads.  Hannah is a bad manager who only knows how to manage up (to her superiors and guests/clients), but has no idea how to manage down. (juniors or with colleagues).

• Love 7

Malia is young and cute and she knows how to capitalize on both.  Those crocodile tears during her confessional were case in point, IMO.  Aaah, poor maligned Malia.  

What's wierd is that I often think she doesn't even know she does it.  She's probably lived off the cute factor most of her life and may not know to do anything different.  She'll either marry rich or find that her tears don't go very far past a certain age or up against certain circumstances.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, KBrownie said:

I don't know, Wes has shown and proven that he's capable of getting right in the middle of the petty bullshit when it suits him.  He likes to act as if he's so mature and above it all, but he's not innocent.  Promoting Malia based on his personal like of her and trying to repeatedly pass it off as Sandy's decision when that is a bald faced lie is one example.  And then trying to be all "it's over, let it go" when anyone calls him out on it.  He's also an idiot for trying to say that Hannah is "unprofessional" for kissing Jason while absolving himself of any impropriety for the Malia shit.  Hannah was totally wrong, but Wes sweetie?  Which situation has caused more drama and discord among the crew?  Hannah kissing a long gone guest or your continued triangle with Malia.  Wes likes to pat himself on the back way too much for someone who's had their fair share of petty drama.  He's not as innocent as he obviously believes himself to be.  

Agree with all of this. When you have guys like Adam and Bobby around, the bar isn't too high to be considered the nice guy. And he is, I'm not saying he's bad or anything, but I think my favorite thing that Wes posted in response to a negative remark on Twitter regarding him choosing Malia was that he thought it was a shame that people were judging thing only by what they saw on TV.

...I mean, what a shocking turnaround. Viewers of a reality TV show are judging things by what they see on TV. /sarcasm

Of course, there are editing monkeys and all that, but I just found it such a naive remark for Wes to make. I don't think he's as innocent as he thinks he is and I really don't think he's as smart as he thinks he is either. Own the fact that you, the superior, hooked up with your subordinate and then promoted her. Fact is, that looks bad. Whether Malia's work deserved it or not, this backstory casts a negative light on things. If he could simply see that perspective, I'd have more respect for him. Ditto, Malia.

But they're just the victims of all the meanies instead...

• Love 4

Malia, you just got promoted not due to your skill, or work ethic but because of intimacies you shared with your boss.  You've been on the job for, what 2 days?  And you are lecturing someone about why they, unlike you, are not promotable?  Well, I'll say this...that takes guts to make yourself look that foolish on television.

• Love 8
On 7/25/2017 at 9:03 PM, Michichick said:

Sweet baby Jesus, what a train wreck. Hannah wants Adam? Ugh, he's gross. And Malia is no prize. I laughed when she got all stompy at the end when both Adam and Wes weren't paying attention to her.

I thought he told Bobby not to talk, because they DID want to hear accents.

It's funny how we all look at things differently.  I thought he told them to stop talking because their ladies loved men with accents and I do too!

• Love 1
On 7/28/2017 at 0:27 AM, VagueDisclaimer said:

Agree with all of this. When you have guys like Adam and Bobby around, the bar isn't too high to be considered the nice guy. And he is, I'm not saying he's bad or anything, but I think my favorite thing that Wes posted in response to a negative remark on Twitter regarding him choosing Malia was that he thought it was a shame that people were judging thing only by what they saw on TV.

...I mean, what a shocking turnaround. Viewers of a reality TV show are judging things by what they see on TV. /sarcasm

Of course, there are editing monkeys and all that, but I just found it such a naive remark for Wes to make. I don't think he's as innocent as he thinks he is and I really don't think he's as smart as he thinks he is either. Own the fact that you, the superior, hooked up with your subordinate and then promoted her. Fact is, that looks bad. Whether Malia's work deserved it or not, this backstory casts a negative light on things. If he could simply see that perspective, I'd have more respect for him. Ditto, Malia.

But they're just the victims of all the meanies instead...

Oh sweet Jesus. He's dumber than a rock. 

.... Reality T. V. viewers judge based on what is shown? Well,  hit damn! Who would have thought?

Also,  Malia,  needs to stop spouting this you aren't a feminist if you don't support me bull. I'm not judging her because she's expressing her sexuality,  get it girl. I'm judging her because for the second time in a row she's having a relationship with her boss, and that isn't how you prove your competence in any professional. Also,  she's nasty for messing with bunkmates and clearly getting off on the drama until it turned sour. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I've watched these crew members from week to week and enjoyed the crazy!  It has never been dull.  Most of them made mistakes and used bad judgement in both their personal and professional lives.  With  the exception of Max.  Love him, very funny appealing guy.  He came through pretty much unscathed.

I know this won't be a popular opinion but... I think that even though Bobby came into the season with a fat head due to his 15 minutes of fame he ended looking much better as the season moved on.  He handled the promotion of Malia really well and he was completely on point about the lack of opportunity to learn.  We didn't see much if anything in the way of training with Bobby or Max.   Being the boson he should not have been playing favorites.  Wes clearly showed favoritism that affected both Bobby and Max.  

I can't wait to see what Captian Sandy has to say about the Malia situation now that she has seen it all.  Maybe Wes and Sandy were both thinking with the wrong head.  A girl with no white boat experience at all.  Kissing the boson during anchor watch.  Where was Malia during the anchor debacle, taking a swim, really, she's a deck hand even if she was useless.  Although she was on anchor watch until early morning the day of that mess, hmmmm.  Sandy could not see Malia's signals during anchoring and then mocking the captian.  Oh Lordy, I'm sorry I could go on and on, I'm sorry.

Edited by Emmeline
26 minutes ago, Emmeline said:

He handled the promotion of Malia really well

What? Compared to what? He had a point but like usual, imo, he acted like a dipshit. Dude literally assumed he was already lead deckhand.

• Love 2
(edited)
33 minutes ago, Emmeline said:

I know this won't be a popular opinion but... I think that even though Bobby came into the season with a fat head due to his 15 minutes of fame he ended looking much better as the season moved on.  

I can't believe I have some nice things to say about Bobby.  I guess he just set the bar so low for himself that I am easily impressed by normal behavior from him.

When Malia made the comment that her promotion was just a pat on the back, and he commented that it was a stab in the back to him, I was pleasantly shocked that came out of his mouth.  That was clever for him.

Also, on two separate occassions when he was confronted (the only one I specifically remember is Malia calling him a d*ck), instead of getting into a pointless argument, he said something to the effect of, "Fine.  I'm going to another part of the ship."  I laughed both times and thought it was great behavior on his part.

Maybe there's hope for him yet.  The brain cells may be breaking even with the rocks up there before we know it.  Too bad it didn't happen before he ruined his arm with that awful tattoo.

Edited by PumpkinPK
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, PumpkinPK said:

Also, on two separate occassions when he was confronted (the only one I specifically remember is Malia calling him a d*ck), instead of getting into a pointless argument, he said something to the effect of, "Fine.  I'm going to another part of the ship."

Isn't that a reallyyyyy low bar to set for a 32 year old man?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Rebecca said:

Isn't that a reallyyyyy low bar to set for a 32 year old man?

I wouldn't know, because I would never even think of setting the bar for anyone based on age or gender.   However, I do know that calling a subordinate a "dick" is inappropriate and will result in a toxic relationship for all involved.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Rebecca said:

What? Compared to what? He had a point but like usual, imo, he acted like a dipshit. Dude literally assumed he was already lead deckhand.

I hate defending Bobby,  because he sleeves me out,  he comes across as a date rapist,  but,  ...considering he is the only one with experience as a deckhand, it makes sense. I don't know if Malia is the more qualified or not because she decided to get with her boss, knowing there was a promotion at hand. 

• Love 2
On 7/27/2017 at 2:16 PM, dosodog said:

Hannah, Hannah, Hannah.  You tweet like you told Captain Sandy the truth about your encounter with the primary.

Sigh.  Politicians and reality TV people.  They act like video doesn't exist. ......

I wish everyone else on board ship weren't so awful because that is so unprofessional. I've been defending her in comparison to the turds.

• Love 2
On 7/30/2017 at 11:04 PM, ShawnaLanne said:

I hate defending Bobby,  because he sleeves me out,  he comes across as a date rapist,  but,  ...considering he is the only one with experience as a deckhand, it makes sense. I don't know if Malia is the more qualified or not because she decided to get with her boss, knowing there was a promotion at hand. 

To be fair, when she first got involved with Wes, there was no promotion even hinted as being available. So, she couldn't really have planned to get him interested in order to secure the promotion. That doesn't make her decision to get involved with her boss yet again any better of a decision. It's just not as malicious and cunning as it would have been had she known about the possibility of a promotion going into the "affair".

• Love 4
6 hours ago, MrSmith said:

To be fair, when she first got involved with Wes, there was no promotion even hinted as being available. So, she couldn't really have planned to get him interested in order to secure the promotion. That doesn't make her decision to get involved with her boss yet again any better of a decision. It's just not as malicious and cunning as it would have been had she known about the possibility of a promotion going into the "affair".

It's hard to tell because they mess with the timeline,  bit it seems to me that everyone knew that there would need to be a lead deckhand from the start. 

• Love 1
On 7/26/2017 at 5:21 PM, ExplainItAgain said:

@Avon.Blakes7, @Mindthinkr, @Hockeymom and others, yes! there will be a reunion this season :) Here's Lauren's tweet.

I guess the show finally got popular enough or there is more scandalous stuff to come!

Thanks @Passing Strange for quoting.

Also, Adam is a psycho. The end.

I hope they read tweets and let Bugs know that a good many people think she snooped and give reasons why and show clips of her constant bitching.

• Love 2

I found the "swingers" very interesting.  Not that I'm into that but as Adam and some of you here agreed, my mind went to the crazy characters in a clue game.  What a bunch of characters!  I tried searching for Dr "Q" and didn't come up with an appropriate match.  Did anyone else find anything on him or the others?  You have to wonder why a wealthy physician would go on a television show implying that he, his wife and friends are having group sex.

Edited by Emmeline
On 7/26/2017 at 1:48 PM, PumpkinPK said:

The only item I have been impressed by of his was that gorgeous citrus cake at the beginning of the season.

The rest of his food is pretty unremarkable.  In fact, I can't remember one specific dish he made.  I  only remember the food from this charter because I just saw it.

You know, I half wonder if that cake came from a mix.  It was very yellow, it had a lot of food coloring in it.  Even if it were all orange flavored, that would take a lot of orange juice to make it that color.   Orange extract would have been used for flavor and that is clear. I've made strawberry cake that had nearly three cups of pureed strawberries in it.  Frozen berries, so there was a lot of liquid from the berries and even still the cake was just a pale, pale pink.  It's almost like he just made different flavors of frosting for the layers to hide that it was a mix.

• Love 1