Type keyword(s) to search

I'm Sorry - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

I'm liking this show so far. The writing is smart and funny. I don't know Andrea Savage as a comedian, but she's been the comedy world for a while, according to IMDB. 

And I love Jason Mantzoukas. He's basically playing himself, but he's still funny. 

They actually called the latest episode 'Ass Cubes.' Hilarious. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 2

Andrea Savage is HITG for me, but I can't remember exactly what I've seen her in.  I am enjoying this show though.  Did they ever say what Andrea does for a living in the show?  I know that she said in episode one that Kyle was her writing partner.  I just don't recall if they said what they are writing for.  A show?  Her stand-up material?

19 hours ago, GenL said:

I can't remember exactly what I've seen her in. 

She's currently President Montez on VEEP but has been in a million things. 

I need to check this show out because if it wasn't for his deadly allergy to eggs Jason is my perfect man.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

She's currently President Montez on VEEP but has been in a million things. 

I need to check this show out because if it wasn't for his deadly allergy to eggs Jason is my perfect man.

I don't watch Veep so I had to imdb her. It was iZombie I saw her in most recently lol. 

• Love 1

Show reminds me a ton of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Just with a younger focus, female voice, and more sex jokes. But I like it so far. It's cringeworthy at times similar to CYE which can be hit or miss for me because of that in particular, but so far, it's a level I can take and I like the rest. Great cast and for once, Jason (Rafi from the League) isn't annoying me with every other breath he takes, so that's a welcome surprise.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, blackwing said:

I've never heard of this show.  But it has to be a Canadian show, right?

I'll see myself out.

It's on the ever-irritating and obnoxious truTV channel. Although, they've taken a step in the right direction with this show. It's very very funny.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Syd said:

It's on the ever-irritating and obnoxious truTV channel. Although, they've taken a step in the right direction with this show. It's very very funny.

I rarely know what channel a show comes on anymore. I TiVo everything I watch. And forget about knowing the day and time.  

--I don't know how I stumbled upon this one. I think my son had been watching one of those "real science" shows. (As opposed to those fake science shows). 

Streaming shows are a whole other beast. Here's me trying to find The Handmaid's Tale: "Is it on Netflix? Dammit! Amazon Video? Dammit! Hulu? Finally...

20 hours ago, blackwing said:

I've never heard of this show.  But it has to be a Canadian show, right?

I'll see myself out.

I'm not sure if you were being serious or sarcastic, but I (seriously) have no idea where the show is supposed to be set. It looks L.A.-ish. Is it?

Edited by topanga
  • Love 2

Good show.  Andrea is legitimately very funny.  It seems odd that a channel called "TruTV" would air a scripted show.

It was an unpleasant surprise when I saw an ad for that stupid, douchey "Adam Ruins Everything" show come on.

• Love 1
On 7/31/2017 at 4:42 AM, bref said:

@topanga, I think the joke is supposed to be that Canadians say "I'm sorry" a lot. :) 

Oh. I'll show myself out. 

ETA: On my  DirecTV DVR, they changed the name of the Ass Cubes episode to "A... Cubes." Dammit, who complained? That was such a great title. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1

I hated the commercials for this show in the lead-up to the first episode.  I skipped the first episode, very confident that I would hate the show just as much.  I was too lazy to reach five additional inches to get the remote when a rerun of the first episode came on tonight after Impractical Jokers (my brand-new guiltiest of pleasures).  I'm trying so. very. hard. to not like this show, but I'm kind of loving it.  I like her husband's role as the bemused straight man and her dynamic with her bearded friend.  I'm in for the rest of the season, dammit.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
44 minutes ago, 17wheatthins said:

I didn't really *get* the awkwardness at the swim party, I don't know why they felt so uncomfortable while their kids were there...or if the were uncomfortable, why not tell the girls they wanted to wait for the other parents to come? The butt bump was funny,

Yeah that was so confusing to me. I would have understood it slightly more if they had never interacted before but they had and had a good rapport and seemed comfortable in a way that was not dependent on their spouses. And she was so crazy uncomfortable in her bikini it made me wonder why she chose it and what sort of magic their spouses have that she would have been totally comfortable if they were there. And since she knew she was going to be uncomfortable why didn't she just lie and say she forgot her bathing suit because both of them didn't have to be in the pool. Hell the girls were fine with their noodles neither had to actually get into the pool just be present and able to jump in if something happened.

I am fairly reserved but I have never felt uncomfortable changing behind a locked door, so that also made me go WTF. It just seemed to take a really heightened/conservative view of men and women can't be friends and take it to men and women can't be together without their spouse/partners alone or not. 

The only reactions I understood were Mike's who didn't think it was a big deal and the wife who seemed most upset that he hadn't shared the story with her and that everyone else knew it.

• Love 1

I wasnt sure about this show at first.. like i like her filthy humor but didnt like the mom jokes but now its all hilarious to me. The shorts guy killed me after she said something he was wearing pants! Like she crushed the guy!

The daughter is pretty funny and a good actress her trying to check her moms handwriting against santas, when she told the other mom that was not enough and also her just trying to enjoy her show while her mom is trying to counterprogram her killed me too.

I like how they keep adding to jokes from the beginning like the blind perv and the "garbage person" too funny! I wish more people watched but got a season 2 so hopefully it picks up steam by then.

• Love 1

I really like this show a lot, too.

The daughter isn't a typical sitcom kid, tossing off one-liners and smarter than her parents.  She's just a real kid, which ends up being much funnier.  And I love the character of the husband (and the very cute actor who plays him!).  He's not the stock sitcom dad/husband who's too stupid to work the toaster.  Just a smart, tolerant, bemused grown-up who's happy to let his loudmouth wife take center stage but isn't a fool because of it.  And I'm very happy to see Kathy Baker and Martin Mull getting to use their talents again.  Not to mention Andrea's friend, played by Alison Tolman--if there were any sense in the TV world, she'd still be starring in her terrific show Downward Dog, which I'll miss a great deal.

Eventually we're going to find out that the "blind" perv isn't really blind.  Someone is going to notice that he only asks for help from women and never men because he can see them.  I'm so glad this was renewed.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, 17wheatthins said:

This past episode was hilarious! When the nextdoor (?) coordinator checked in and we found out Andrea posted under her husband's name? Paraphrasing: "you sounded terrified". 

And Andrea stripping off her pants as soon as she was alone LOL

Her overreaction at the party starting at 9:30pm XD

Really this is the funniest scripted show I've seen in ages. The cast is phenomenal. The continuity is the best!

Yes! Another thing that made me laugh was the oh ya moment i had putting it together that "he" recommended the gynaecologist. Im gonna have to rewatch when the season is done to catch some more stuff (maybe i didnt find it funny but will knowing what layers they add) it sucks only one more episode this season!

• Love 1

Andrea was on the Nerdist and mentioned the shorts guy was a real thing that happened when she lived in an apartment building and she would sometimes hide in her apartment or pretend to be talking on her phone to not do the bit, it only ended when she moved! One thing that range false to me is that she didn't know his name when they basically share a driveway and but it made a little more sense knowing it was based on living in an apartment complex. 

The Nerdist interview is good with the added element that she and Chris used to date, they broke up because of his drinking and helped lead him to his sobriety. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I kept hoping the shorts guy would return her key that he found on the driveway, making her feel like even more of an ass :) 

I loved the "Nextdoor" thing. I think there's a dog serial killer in my neighborhood too! 

Edited by Maya
  • Love 1

I donno the finale was funny but not as funny as the most of the rest. Shouldnt have been the season finale last weeks would have been better i think.

There were some great moments though like the husband saying please dont engage the room and realizing she had that pic as her signature but a bunch of jokes i just didnt laugh at. Reminded me of the first few episodes when i was unsure of this show.

• Love 1

I started watching this show by mistake, I think I thought it was something else so I left the TV on.  But it held my interest and I keep coming back to it so it must be doing something right.

I'm not familiar with Andrea Savage but I gathered pretty quickly that she was a comedienne who had been given her own show.  I like the jokes about her bad acting (similar to how Jerry Seinfeld used to make fun of his acting skills), because she's not the best.  I'm surprised to hear on this board that she's had so many roles.  She has a couple of quirks that kind of bother me, but not too badly.  First off, she seems to do that "shimmy her shoulders" sexy move once or more in every episode.  Reminds me of how Penny from Big Bang Theory used to always do the duck face.  Secondly, she seems to be one of these people who try to show every tooth in her mouth when she talks.  Looks like she's spent a lot of money there so I guess I can't blame her.

One of the things that interested me was how she has this close male friend that she spends a lot of time with, although there is no suggestion that her husband has a close female friend that he spends a lot of time with.  I kind of wonder how that works, even though yeah it's Hollywood.

• Love 2

Just started watching the show.  The promo for it did not do it justice.  This show is hilarious!! I am happy to see it will have a second season! 

We were cracking up in the episode where they talk about Sound of music and Nazi's. The daughter comes out of her room because she can't sleep, because she thinks Hitler is in her closet.  The way she said it was perfect.  Too funny!!

Lots of laughs in all the episodes I have watched so far. Also another one was....Andrea says to Mike, our therapist told you to rape me? Just the way she delivered that was hilarious.  

Great cast.  I think Mike is a perfect calm compared to Andrea.  I also like her writing partner.  

• Love 3

This show is amazing. I want to be faux Andrea's BFF. The guest stars are amazing, and well used. The relationship with the husband, and the daughter, is fantastic. I just love, LOVE it. It doesn't fill the much sweeter Playing House-sized hole in my heart, but it's the best thing I've stumbled across in forever. I read it was renewed, so I hope it's coming back soon-ish.

Savage's wit is just that and I am here for that. Big time. 

• Love 1

Binged this for the first time last month and had no idea it wasn't a one-and-done streaming season. Lo and behold two days ago I saw a big poster in the subway station for last night's season premiere! Hasn't lost a bit of its humor or edge. "HE SAID MENSES" (I about died)

• Love 1

I thought it was hilarious that she got into an argument with her six-year old whether or not daddy had pubic hair. Then told Mike she was going to need a picture.

Tom Everett Scott is the perfect partner for Andrea Savage. When she's doing scenes with Jason Mantzoukas it's like they're just volleying back and forth at the same level. Whereas with Scott it's like he's reacting and absorbing and playing. She can be a little too "on" with the quip, quip, quip every time she opens her mouth and Scott is just perfect in playing with that.

I'm not sure I understand what the deal is with her friend Brian. Is he a stay-at-home dad? She referenced his wife in this episode and I don't think we've ever seen her, that I can remember.

• Love 3

Is Brian the dad she talks to while waiting for their kids to get out of school? If so, I love him. I don't think he needs a backstory any more than the other parents she interacts with while dropping off or picking up at school. But he's by far the funniest one.

• Love 1

Yes, he's the black guy she told "I don't enjoy you, as a friend." I'd love to have more of a backstory for him. I spent most of last season wondering if he was in a same-sex relationship because he seemed to be one of the "moms." I think this was the first time I ever heard anyone mention him having a wife.

Adam Scott! But why was his hair plastered to his head like that? Otherwise, another great episode. I love all the trouble Andrea got into because her daughter had learned how to read. I knew something was going to come of the text she was sending but the camera didn't really linger on it long enough to read it. 

Yeah I'm not sure how far two straight dudes would go on a "suck my dick" bit, and I'm not sure I want to know either. I do enjoy all the recognizable comedians this show employs as friends and co-workers of Andrea. I'm not sure I understand the dynamic with her new writing partner, i.e. what are they writing and is it a different project than the one she writes with Kyle.

• Love 1

Barbara T. Warren is an amazing fish name. I'm a huge fan of "people names" for pets, and all of my pets in my adulthood (four cats) have had people names. It's just dignified, really.

Absolutely zero straight men in real life would ever put another man's penis in their mouths. They're all "no homo!!!” so much that they must leave a seat between them when they go see a movie in the theater.

• Love 1

Barbara T. Warren is an amazing fish name. 

I loved the riff she went on about how Barbara used to have a salon in Sherman Oaks. But sometimes I feel like Andrea is a little too "on" 100% of the time, like the entire episode is one long stand-up bit. I've heard Andrea Savage on podcasts (she's good friends with Chris Hardwick) and that's pretty much how she talks all the time, like every conversation is a potential bit. I think eventually it would be exhausting to be around her.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I think eventually it would be exhausting to be around her.

Verbatim what I was thinking while I watched the most recent episode.  Was she like this all the time during the first season?  I don't remember it that way, but maybe I just blocked it out.  If they don't dial her back a little, she's gonna wind up being pretty unlikable.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Verbatim what I was thinking while I watched the most recent episode.  Was she like this all the time during the first season?  I don't remember it that way, but maybe I just blocked it out.  If they don't dial her back a little, she's gonna wind up being pretty unlikable.

My thoughts too.  She has a very high energy that would be exhausting and it is totally amped up this year.  

• Love 2

I'm super confused about Andrea's work at the moment. Did I just miss an explanation for why Jason Mantzoukas is MIA since the first episode this season and he's been suddenly replaced as her writing partner by Scott Aukerman with seemingly no explanation whatsoever as if it's almost the same guy? Because they are writing this like Scott has been introduced to us before now, as if that's who she's been writing with all along. But it isn't and he wasn't in the first season at all.

14 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

I think that it's just that Andrea and Rob (Scott Ackerman) are working on a different project from Andrea and Kyle (Jason Mantzoukas). In one episode this season, Andrea's husband asked her if Kyle was jealous she was working with Rob. It may just be a case of scheduling problems for Jason to appear...

Maybe that's all it is. I've found the switch off rather offputting given the type of jokes in the last few episodes. It was still funny, but I've paused multiple times at the familiarity. Rob is really brand new on the show unlike Kyle and she's making fisting jokes and sharing the party bj scene with him and to me it's like, with THIS guy? Definitely could've used more backstory on their friendship/relationship before jumping into all of that.

• Love 1

I'm super confused about Andrea's work at the moment. Did I just miss an explanation for why Jason Mantzoukas is MIA since the first episode this season and he's been suddenly replaced as her writing partner by Scott Aukerman with seemingly no explanation whatsoever as if it's almost the same guy? Because they are writing this like Scott has been introduced to us before now, as if that's who she's been writing with all along. But it isn't and he wasn't in the first season at all.

I agree the show has not explained this very well. What I know from her interviews is that this is based on her real life, so I'm guessing she's working on a specific project with Rob for Sony and works on some other, perhaps more regular project, with Kyle normally. What those projects are is anyone's guess - in real life she'd be writing this TV show. She has apparently written a lot of TV pilots for various networks, most of which never saw the light of day. And she wrote short comedy sketches, which she starred in, for Funny or Die.

• Love 2