Type keyword(s) to search

The Goldbergs in the Media: That's Incredible!

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, nelroy78 said:

That was a difficult read and ABC is a bunch of morons, pun intended, for slinging him through the mud, just trying to dig up dirt. 

ABC isn’t dragging him through the mud trying to dig up dirt. He’s had multiple complaints about him to HR over the past three years. I would much rather an HR of a company, any company, do their due diligence regarding complaints of misbehavior or uncomfortable working conditions than ignore them.

I thought it was an illuminating interview - tense at times, but very evenhanded. It was interesting to read Garlin’s perspective and I appreciated him being so forthright, even when Maureen was asking difficult questions. 

• Love 8

He admits he’s done and said the things in the complaint, and this is the 3rd time HR has come to him about his behavior. He said he won’t hug anyone any more, but the rest of it is just his normal onset behavior, no one has ever complained on other sets, and if they don’t like it that’s their problem.

He’s not giving them much wiggle room, and at what point do the people who made charges have a case against the show that they allowed three sets of complaints? What do you bet it comes down to a cost-benefit analysis, which is cheaper: Pay off the people who made complaints and pretend it’s all love and rainbows for viewers and advertisers, or fire Garlin?

• Love 1

Deadline's reporting that Jeff and ABC have reached a settlemt with him exiting the show immediately (sounds like they were most of the way through the season)

https://deadline.com/2021/12/jeff-garlin-exit-the-goldbergs-hr-investigations-season-9-1234892030/

That's probably the death knell for the show. We know the real Murray has passed, so maybe they'll work that in for a 13 episode final season, but similar to "American Housewife" last year, I could see this just being too many things piling up and them deciding to pull the plug altogether this year.

I'm completely ambivalent about either of those outcomes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I wonder if he is like this on the Curb Your Enthusiasm set.  Odd that nothing has been brought up about him on that set.  I mean I obviously believe what is said against him because he even admits to doing it.  I just wonder why nothing has been brought up about him on the Curb set.

• Love 5

I’ve felt the show has been recycling plots for years so if it ends this season I’m ok with it. But Garlin looks like he’s been phoning it in. More to the point, he seemed pretty blasé that he’s been told by HR a few times to quit it and seems that he hasn’t. Deadline reported he humiliated a married stand in couple that is loved by the crew and cast. 

1 hour ago, BK1978 said:

I wonder if he is like this on the Curb Your Enthusiasm set.  Odd that nothing has been brought up about him on that set.  I mean I obviously believe what is said against him because he even admits to doing it.  I just wonder why nothing has been brought up about him on the Curb set.

I think he’s one of the producers there so can possibly get away with more adult “humour.” 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

Deadline's reporting that Jeff and ABC have reached a settlemt with him exiting the show immediately (sounds like they were most of the way through the season)

https://deadline.com/2021/12/jeff-garlin-exit-the-goldbergs-hr-investigations-season-9-1234892030/

That's probably the death knell for the show. We know the real Murray has passed, so maybe they'll work that in for a 13 episode final season, but similar to "American Housewife" last year, I could see this just being too many things piling up and them deciding to pull the plug altogether this year.

I'm completely ambivalent about either of those outcomes.

Yeah this is probably it. I felt the show should've ended last season. I saw the first episode of season 9 but the rest has become background noise. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, BK1978 said:

Curb is an improvisational set which might allow for more leeway in shouting out random words like "vagina" as part of the "process".  There's only one cast member who is a woman who regularly works with him.  Most of the show's regular players are men.  And while there was maybe one incident with a man, it seems like the people he directs most of his comments to were women.

There are other things too.  He's a producer on Curb.  However, he's also not "the star" of CYE.  That's Larry David.  Even though he's not a producer on The Goldbergs, he might have felt more powerful as the adult star.  Or Curb, given that it has been around since 2000, might have curated a crew that doesn't push back against a certain culture that won't fly on a family sitcom for Disney.

• Love 3

Jeff Garlin sounds like a jerk, but as Murray he was one of the best parts of the series.  Also this show recycles the same plot every single week and Erica as Bridezilla-lite isn’t terribly interesting, so this may finally be what I need to kick the habit of this terrible show.

Wonder if this will impact syndication?

• Love 8

Wendi replied to someone on Twitter who asked if they believe Jeff should be terminated.

Wendi McLendon-Covey

We are all tired of picking up the slack for one person. The fact that few people have noticed how little he's been in the episodes for the past few seasons is a testament to how good we are at our jobs.

• Love 6

I quit watching after season 8 but have been following the Garlin story. Him walking Erica down the aisle would’ve been a big moment, but put a schlubby person in a tux and film them from the back and you’ve got the church scene and Father/Daughter dance. This investigation has been going on for a couple months, so they could’ve pre-filmed it even.

With Wendi’s comment: I think lots of people noticed Murray’s lack of screen time, but everyone was an ancillary character circling Bev’s (toxic) presence. And the cast is huge — if anything this seems like more of a problem for the writers. And how many actors complain about having more screen time? What slack?

• Love 5
12 hours ago, BK1978 said:

1 hour ago, Madtown said:

Wendi McLendon-Covey

We are all tired of picking up the slack for one person. The fact that few people have noticed how little he's been in the episodes for the past few seasons is a testament to how good we are at our jobs.

Jeff hasn't been shy about discussing the differences between Curb and the Goldbergs in the past. The Curb production is pretty hands off from network interference. HBO lets them do their own thing on their own schedule. There's no way a network sitcom is managed like that. So I'm sure the production team and crew at Curb Your Enthusiasm are people that have worked together for a long time, or know the environment as what constitutes humor. When there's greater buy-in from that angle there's less opportunity for imbalance. Likely a "give as good as you get" approach. Also it seems that with Curb the show is the byproduct of the creative process.

A network sitcom is not that. Everyone is out to make as much money as possible. Therefore there's far more people involved including numerous people who aren't comedians or there because they love comedy. From the sounds of things, Jeff was trying to treat the Goldbergs set like the Curb set, and wielding his power to do so.

Wendi's comments would indicate he's also been emotionally checked out of the process for the past few years, which would line up with the season already having its 5 season run for syndication, and also his divorce. It's not inconceivable that he just gave up caring then and enjoyed cashing the paycheck so long as they'd let him

• Love 4

In recent years, Murray has come across as a slob and slacker. At least in the beginning he had the store. He plays such a small role that I could see them easily writing him out. Won’t miss the “Where’s my pants?” scenes. Surprised me to see the show renewed for its current season because I figured last season would be the last. It’s like they don’t know what to do with these characters…like some have said, too many recycled storylines. Not sure what’s been going on behind the scenes, but the only couple that seems to be a good fit is maybe the Schwartzes.

• Love 6

Interesting info in the update to the Deadline article:

According to sources, the show used [Garlin's] double for what was supposed to be the actor’s last day, and his face will be superimposed using CGI in post-production for the episode, designed to wrap his character’s storyline. 

Additionally, I hear The Goldbergs has received an additional four-episode order, bringing its ninth season to 22 episodes.

It's hard to believe they added episodes to this dying show, but there it is.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
17 hours ago, Madtown said:

Wendi replied to someone on Twitter who asked if they believe Jeff should be terminated.

Wendi McLendon-Covey

The situation must have been bad for Wendi to say something like this. Actors in general are pretty tight lipped and/or diplomatic when it comes to issues with their co-stars.

• Love 9

They've been beating a dead horse for quite a while now.  Last season would've been the perfect opportunity to end The Goldbergs with the death of George Segal.

But, ABC doesn't know when to quit, like how they renewed Modern Family for an 11th season when it was as clear as day the 10th should've served as the finale.

• Love 16

This doesn't really surprise me. An actress I like, who has directed for The Goldbergs a few times, mentioned on her podcast once that a situation had happened one time she was directing where one of the cast members stood there and screamed at her for a pretty long time, and how humiliating it was, and how difficult to keep her composure...the point of the story being that, in order to maintain her professional authority, she couldn't just break down in that moment. She had to act unfazed and just continue to do her job.

I remember at the time thinking about who it could be, and the only possibility was Jeff Garlin. There was just literally no one else in the cast it could be, based on the really warm and lovely things she'd said at various times about legitimately every single other person in the cast. LOL.

• Love 2

There was some discussion in the season 9 thread about the Barry Goldberg actor being so over the top, so I looked up what else he's been in.  I was rather shocked to see he was in one of my favorite movies, Nacho Libre, playing "Young Nacho".  I certainly didn't recognize him.  And he was much more paunchy.   He also played a young version of Jack Black in Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny.

• Useful 3

This show has to be expensive to produce after so many years. How many times have decent shows been canceled because salaries are so high that new shows are better risks? ABC development execs should be fired if The Goldbergs is the most cost efficient show they have.

• Love 7
On 3/28/2022 at 3:53 PM, nora1992 said:

Which ABC executive are the show runners blackmailing, and what do they have?  

Maybe the real Beverly Goldberg is browbeating the execs like she does on the show?  "Don't you dare think about cancelling my schmoos".

On 3/28/2022 at 8:45 PM, incandescent said:

Ten seasons!? I swear this show has been running on fumes for the past five. Can't believe it's gonna last longer than The Middle, Black-ish, and Fresh Off The Boat. Might even have a longer run than Modern Family!

I would trade 10 seasons of the Goldbergs for one more season of The Middle.

Edited by rmontro
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12
On 4/18/2022 at 9:57 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I’ll raise you, one more season of The Kids Are Alright. 

I'm still mad they canceled that show!

Maybe I missed it but is it a full season or a reduced season like the last year of Blackish?

Edited by Arcadiasw
  • Love 4
47 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Oh, dear god, why?  Never mind the Jeff Garlin mess, this show has pretty much exhausted itself.  Adam graduating at the end of this season would be a logical point at which to end the show, so why extend it beyond that?

I find this a lot with American tv. Once they find something that is popular they milk it until the cow has well & truly been milked and died of exhaustion. There have been quite a few programs that I've grown tired of because they became stale and I stopped watching, the Goldbergs just being the latest in a long line.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

I find this a lot with American tv. Once they find something that is popular they milk it until the cow has well & truly been milked and died of exhaustion. There have been quite a few programs that I've grown tired of because they became stale and I stopped watching, the Goldbergs just being the latest in a long line.

I don't think it's just an American tv thing.  There are definitely shows from other countries where I've thought they should've ended them seasons earlier than they did.  Of course, I tend to think that with shows I've stopped enjoying; if I still like something, it can go on forever.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Oh, dear god, why?  Never mind the Jeff Garlin mess, this show has pretty much exhausted itself. 

Note:  Murray died on the way back to his home planet.

• LOL 7

I can’t sit through this show anymore.  With George Segal gone and having to write out Garlin they should call it a day.

IMO the Beverly show is not at all entertaining or funny.

• Love 11

I meana I guess the numbers are fine but I can't figure out why they renewed this show.  It isn't going to grow viewers and it has to be hella expensive (although I guess since they won't have to pay Garlin for season 10...)

• Love 1

I don't know how anyone thought this show needed another season. It hasn't been good since season 6. With the whole Jeff Garlin mess, they should've ended it this season. I've watched 3 episodes and was done. Erica and Geoff's wedding was awful and you could totally tell that Murray was "ghosted" in.

We can't even watch the older seasons that we loved because in every episode we wonder if they felt the way they did about Jeff Garlin then. So the whole show is ruined for us. Don't know if we'll ever go back and watch again. Until Garlin was fired, we had watched season 1-6 about 10 times.

• Love 5

Sigh. This show (for me) hasn't been good since the 2nd and 3rd seasons. Seeing the last George Segal episodes reminded me why I quit watching years ago. Wendi is comically gifted but she needs a new role.

Edited by januaryman
  • Love 11

I thought the beginning of the end was them moving Erica away for college and trying to work her college life into the show…and Bev still had 2 at home. Now 1 is married, 1 is in a LTR and trying to get into med school, Adam is going to be a few hours away, and The Mur Man is permanently otherwise occupied. Will next season be 30% Adam at NYU, 20% Erica and Barry, and 50% Beverly terrorizing the neighborhood?

On 4/28/2022 at 1:46 AM, Kiddvideo said:

Will next season be 30% Adam at NYU, 20% Erica and Barry, and 50% Beverly terrorizing the neighborhood?

Maybe Beverly will go to NYU since Murray is nowhere to be seen.  That way they can stick her into storylines with Adam, and Erica, Barry, Geoff, and Joanne can go on their own escapades.  That works well since Adam on his own is about as interesting as water.

I recently found out there was another show called The Goldbergs in the '50s, about a Jewish family in the Bronx.

• Useful 1

The actress that plays Erica came in second place on the Masked Singer.  I think all of the judges were kind of surprised, and she wasn't on their radar at all.  It was kind of a funny reaction they had, lol!  

• Love 1
On 4/18/2022 at 8:53 PM, rmontro said:

I would trade 10 seasons of the Goldbergs for one more season of The Middle.

I don't know. I didn't want another season if the Goldbergs but I thought The Middle ended in a good place. I liked how they did it. There were rumors of there being a Sue spinoff but it never happened. I would've watched that.

• Love 2

I’m so furious that Jeff Garlin is apparently such a shit, because this show is just DOA without him.  Between Real Adam and Jeff leaving, the rest of the cast is not really up to carrying this show.

And yet, I’ll still watch to the finale, whenever that is, because I’ve put in too much time to stop now.  Also, will Barry really still look like a 20 year old college student?

• Like 1
  • Love 1