Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E19: You Can't Lose Me

OK, so I know I will sound heartless, but am I the only one who doesn't care that Scarlet lost the baby?  She really wears on me! And I really hate the way she dresses like a nun or a 12 year old, depending on the day.

• Love 3
(edited)

I was sure, I mean absolutely convinced, that I would hate this episode because it would just be more of Gunnar putting himself aside in favor of Scarlett, which is what he's been doing all season. Imagine my surprise that they actually got to have a real conversation and that Scarlett, of all people, was the one to call him on his behavior. I loved that scene and everything that was said. 

I used to be a huge fan of them together because they had a real magic about them but this season has killed that for me. I'm not even sure I want them to perform together anymore. I hope this separation is permanent and that they're both able to move on for real. I wouldn't object to them being friends, but that's all. No pining. It ended on a more honest note than they have had since before the end of season 4. Let that be the true end of them.

On a happier note, let me just say how much I absolutely love the Bros taking care of each other, even long distance. "Will told you to call, didn't he?" Love. It. I will be sorely disappointed if we don't get at least some scenes of Gunnar and Avery on the road next week.

Edited by Data Cat
  • Love 10

I could care less that Scarlett lost the baby, cared more about Gunner's reaction. Love his friends helping him.

Also Maddi throwing drinks doesn't make her appealing, looks like a brat.

• Love 5

Ugh. I wish I felt for Scarlett but I don't. She's been a pill for almost the entire last four seasons of this show. She's been miserable. Poor Gunner. He really has deserved better than her for a while. 

I like Jessie. I like her and Deacon.

And I HATE the Juliette steals Maddies song story. Like.. I just hate it. 

Hey you guys Will was in this episode and Avery kind of was and Baby Cadence!!!

• Love 4

Can we go on the road with Avery and Gunnar and have Will and Deacon drop in? And then never come back. 

Jessie did overstep. I can't imagine hearing from a friend that their relative (whom I'd never met) had a misscariage and then taking it upon myself to bring vitamins and iron pills and shit over, in a gift bag, with pink tissue paper! Even if I'd been through it, I would certainly check with my friend FIRST to see if it would be appropriate to reach out.   

Scarlett sounded downright Irish in that last song. 

• Love 3

Well, at least they finally finished the Scarlett baby plot, it was only a matter of time until she lost it.

What do we have to do to stop the Maddie/Daphne plots? Just tell me show, I'll do it.

48 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

I thought she sounded like Kate Bush. Singing a Broadway song because that didn't sound like country to me.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, GaT said:

What do we have to do to stop the Maddie/Daphne plots? Just tell me show, I'll do it.

They basically must end every plot and cancel the show already.  They should stop after Rayna's funeral. 

• Love 1

I have to say, as one who suffered several MC and a very late term stillbirth, a lot of what was said in the episode last nite was really true, particularly the "its not your fault"-it was so true ---

but yeah Scarlett is such a sad sack anyway, but as one who has been there it was very well done. Yes, Jessie overstepped, OMG why cant Will join Avery on the road too? I LOVE their friendship!! These guys are so sweet and supportive. As much as I dislike Maddie, I sort of loved that she threw a drink in Juliettes face LOL.

6 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Can we go on the road with Avery and Gunnar and have Will and Deacon drop in? And then never come back. 

Jessie did overstep. I can't imagine hearing from a friend that their relative (whom I'd never met) had a misscariage and then taking it upon myself to bring vitamins and iron pills and shit over, in a gift bag, with pink tissue paper! Even if I'd been through it, I would certainly check with my friend FIRST to see if it would be appropriate to reach out.   

I thought she was purposely singing in  brogue..

• Love 4

My honey, who doesn't watch this show, was laughing at my heartlessness last nite when Scarlett lost her baby and i just kept saying 'shut the fuck up, Scarlett'. Just don't care. Glad Gunnar finally actually extricated himself. i know Scarlett asked him not to tell anyone, but still surprised Deacon didn't mention it to the girls.

Jessie did overstep, but her motivation was only kindness, so I'm cool with her.

I'm onboard with the Road Adventures of Avery, Will and Gunnar, and if Deacon joined them at some point, even better.

I don't know what the ethics of song 'stealing' are, but I want Juliette to smack Maddie, not grovel.

• Love 4

I'm joining the club of those of y'all who did not care one bit about Scarlett's endless pain and awful hair. I wish she could ever handle anything quietly instead of going into her psycho-cry. Good grief. Thank goodness she and Gunnar seem to finally be truly over, but of course we've thought that before. (I did like her speech at the benefit, though.) 10 collective seconds of Avery and Will should not count as a real episode. I can't stand Maddie, but Juliette -- an adult woman and superstar a thousand times over -- stole a song from a grieving teenager who just lost her mother and whose career is just trying to gain traction. Pretty freakin' low. I'm up for a bit of humble pie on that one.

• Love 5

I did feel sad at Scarlett's story this week having lived through it twice myself. The problem is that she is a weeping, sad sack 100% of the time anyway, so she didn't seem any different than usual. And miscarriages can happen for many reasons but for the doctor to insist that being forcefully slammed belly first into a car and the resulting trauma could not have been a factor is just bullshit. I'm glad Gunnar is taking some time off, but I worry that his part will lessen a lot or disappear since TPTB like to focus on Scarlett and her never ending woes. I don't really mind Jessie, but they are trying to do the rom com thing where a couple bickers a lot and then gets together and it just seems forced here. Deacon doesn't seem like he would care enough to bicker with her and it just doesn't feel natural to me.

Juliette should have realized that Nashville is a small community in the fact that every one knows each other in the music community and it was only a matter of time before Maddie found this out. Chances are good that if she had gone to Maddie and said she really loves the song and would Maddie mind if she recorded it, Maddie would have said yes. I know Juliette is a fan favorite on this board but I often find her to be very immature in how she handles everything; her career, Avery, her friendships with other women. It actually makes for a interesting character, but can't say I really like her. 

Is Hallie gone from the show now? With so many characters, they can't show everyone but I thought she would be at Juliette's party even though they aren't exactly getting along. 

• Love 3

I just can't take anymore of the Scarlett Saga; I finally decided that if the show continues to focus on her "Woe of the Week" that I will have to move on.  Know what sold the sadness of the miscarriage to me?  Deacon's reactions-not hers.  And, it shouldn't be that way.  There's no differentiation in Scarlett's continual woes.  Everything hits here just as hard as everything else.  Deacon though always sells the emotion to me.

I would love to see a road-trip with Avery, Gunner and Will-that would be amazing.  

• Love 4

Add e to don't like the actor, don't like the character, don't like the story.  Wasn't invested in the baby.  I mean it was a depressing story for light entertainment but I wasn't terribly sad.  And while I absolutely agree with many of the points made about it not being your fault, about women not knowing how common loss is and about being able to talk about it?  I didn't care that it was Scarlett and Jessie talking about it.  

Had this been a story with Rayna and Juliette it might have had more resonance.   

Would much, much, much rather watch Avery and Gunner (although I don't care about Gunner much either) on the road and if they brought Will and Deacon around I'd go for the spinoff and never have to see anybody else ever again.

I didn't mind that Maddie threw the drink at Juliette.  It wan't the most mature response but I see how it boiled over with Maddie being insecure about Juliette being weird, and then finding out it was because Juliette betrayed her, and you have the songwriter who didn't seem terribly offended but he does have a wrong impression about her, so I get how that boils over to a moment of drama.  She didn't go to the media, she didn't cry for weeks like Scarlett would have done.  I don't mind.

But I don't think Juliette would grovel about it, either.   I think she'd be like, "sorry Kid, those are the breaks."  Or at least I'd rather watch Juliette do that then grovel.

It isn't like she jacked a song that Maddie had been trying to get herself.   It wasn't like she jacked credit on a song Maddie had written herself.  And it seems like the song writer is more than happy to write other songs with maddie in mind.  Not much harm, not much foul.

• Love 1
(edited)

I am shocked that the baby would have been named Amelia Rose and not Beverly Rayna.

i like Jessy, but wish the writers would stop inducing fights between her and Deacon every freaking week. And she was right to try to help Scarlett (at least, her original plan of quietly leaving a bag) but she should have countered Deacon's initial criticism by explaining that she only did it because she knew Scarlett didn't have her mom or Rayna.

And Daphne should have totally empathized with Juliette's excuse that "she knew it was wrong but she did it anyway." (But then, I think both the homeless teens and Hallie plots have been jettisoned.)

So Gunnar's going to Texas. Am I misremembering, or doesn't his nephew (who was once his "son") live there? Whatever happened to that kid?

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 3

There were some good moments in the show, but it's still too clunky. We could lose a few major cast members and a few minor and I'd be happy. Dump Zach, Rachel "Giggles" Bilson, Maddie, Scarlett, and we've got a show. Feature the guys support group, a bit more of Jessie, not fighting or explaining things to Deacon, and Daphne in small, makeup free doses. And I want Avery to take the baby and leave Juliette. And Gunnar needs to continue to let his pair grow and get a new singing partner. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

I am shocked that the baby would have been named Amelia Rose and not Beverly Rayna.

I so love this.

Scarlet grates but she moved me this week because I've dealt with (early) miscarriages 2 times. And Jessie was out of line but I totally related to wanting to be there. Because it does feel like there is no one you can share it with. It's depressing; you know it makes people uncomfortable and on some level, almost embarrassing--like why does everyone else (it seems) get to join the pregnant club and remain members, while you get kicked out? at least that's how it felt to me and if a female had been able to share some of the experience with me, it would have helped.

I did like Scarlet's speech at the benefit. Well done.

Also agree with people who are puzzled by her clothes. It is so nunnish at times. She picks stuff I can't imagine her really wanting to wear.

Gunnar hunting down his attacker felt like a rehash of an earlier season where he tries to track down his brother's killer while wearing a hoodie that failed to make him look tough.

• Love 4

The problem is I did feel bad about the storyline, it's awful and heartbreaking to everyone who has gone through it. But I don't know. Before this episode, it never seemed like Scarlett was even happy to be pregnant? But maybe that's just me. 

I would like Summer Roberts on this show if they gave her more to do

and a point? So far she's shown up twice to talk about marketing points and watch Scarlett screw up a commercial taping. Maybe they can hook her up with Gunner?

putting aside my person tendency to get moved by MC storylines, I was relieved to be done with the pregnancy on the show. Bad idea and I was tired of Scarlet and her pregnancy of woe, so glad it was done from a show perspective. But l liked the angle of having the Jessie conversation (again though she was out of line)--you just don't normally see that at all when the topic is part of a show.

• Love 2
(edited)

I find it hard to care about Scarlett's sadness because nothing about her baby and relationship drama has engaged me. 

I think it might be because Clare Bowen isn't that great an actress? Or the storyline about her and Gunnar has been worked to death, or both? I liked both characters in season 1, but everything was better in season 1.

Although the PBS type exposition of miscarriage was a little clunky but good - especially the acknowledgement that a late miscarriage means you have to go through labour. 

I am ok with Deacon having a new relationship - he is sexy and this is TV after all - and I like Jessie (although they are bickering too much too soon for a new friendship), but I wish she was older. She is 20 years younger for sure. I like the fact that Deacon's women (Rayna and placeholders) have been closer to his age. And I will never care as much about Deacon with someone else as much as I did about Deacon and Rayna.

I want to stick with Nashville but finding it hard to be bothered about anything that's happening, even to Juliette.  Re the song issue, so what? Zzzzzzzz...

Edited by MisterS
Adding something
  • Love 3

Hey you guys Will was in this episode and Avery kind of was and Baby Cadence!!!

And Glenn and his awful wig!

I wondered about that whole explanation of what can and can't cause a miscarriage. Seems like they were trying to make it an educational moment, but how accurate was that information? Obviously losing a baby due to some physical trauma is frequently used as a plot device in movies in TV, but of course we know that's not an indicator of what happens in real life.

• Love 2

Is what happened to Scarlett sad yes of course. But I never thought that the baby would come to term. It just seemed like a random thing to happen. Unless Claire was pregnant I couldn't see Scarlett with a baby. 

Please let this be the final nail in the Scarlett Gunner relationship. At a certain point on again off again relationships go on to long and I stop caring. I dont want them together again. I don't want them in the same scenes for at least 4 episodes. I'm just so done with them.

I would love to know how much time they spend on Claire's hair because it is awful. A woman can have really cute short hair but she looks like the took a towel and rubbed it all over her head.

This is the third public/ media thing with Maddie. People won't care who her parents are they will hate her. 1. She takes her parents to court and screws over her father. I don't remember if the trial was private but people will wonder what kind of nasty shit she had to of said about parents that the public loves. And then after emancipating herself from her mom she takes her mom's stage name. "Hey I want nothing to do with you but I want to make damn sure people know who I am." 2. The Clay cop thing. 3. Now she is throwing a drink in Juliette's face. Juliette must have a huge fan base where Maddie doesn't. Fans can be rapid and attack with the smallest insult to their celebrity. I feel like Juliette would have those types of fans. The media would be team Juliette now I wonder what Juliette did. She stole a song not pushed her down the steps no one will care about a song. The songwriter might but he's too busy walking to the bank because of Juliette. Maddie doesn't have the stage presence or voice to sing a song like that and make it enjoyable. If it was a sad my life is soooo hard song then sure hand it over to Maddie. Juliette is top 40 Maddie seems more indie. 

Was Will standing with Zack at the party o thought they broke up. Hmm I don't care.

Remember when Gunner and Avery where in a band together can we have that back. Add in Will and it would be a smashing success. 

Moments of the night Deacon walking into Scarlett's house with s WTF look on his face when he seen Jessie there. And Juliette covering cadence's ears and mouthing the word bitch to Glenn. 

• Love 6

Yeah on the Maddie Juliette thing, Glenn said the press didn't know what the fight was about, I agree that Juliette probably has more fans. Plus.. considering she's still coming off a plane accident. Yes of course Maddie has Raynas death to be the catalyst for her behavior but that's the role that now she would be having in the public. People don't really remember that Lindsay Lohan was once a talented actress now they just know her for her incidents of bad behavior and that's the type of star Maddie is slowly becoming. 

• Love 2

Table for one here, but I like Scarlett's hair. Not the butterfly hair clip or earring or whatever the hell she wears that makes her look 6 years old, but I love the cut and style. It's 1000x better than the mop she had before she cut it. 

That said, her hair is about the only thing I like about the character. As others have said, she's a whiny, moping sad sack who is NEVER happy and clearly doesn't have a clue what she wants out of life. And her clothes! What did Claire ever do to make wardrobe hate her so much? 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Table for one here, but I like Scarlett's hair. Not the butterfly hair clip or earring or whatever the hell she wears that makes her look 6 years old, but I love the cut and style. It's 1000x better than the mop she had before she cut it. 

I agree. I think Scarlett looks so much better with the short hair cut. Now if they could do something about her wardrobe...

I admit I felt bad for Scarlett. As crappy as her character has been I wouldn't wish that type of loss on anyone. I liked her speech and song at the benefit. I'm also glad she and Gunnar are taking a break from each other.

I totally laughed out loud at Maddie throwing the drink at Juliette. Did Juliette really think Maddie wouldn't find out?

Count me in as one who'd like to see an episode featuring the adventures of Avery, Gunnar and Will on the road! There's been so much drama lately; this show needs some levity.

• Love 3

I agree that Scarlet's short hair is  better than her long hair but still could be styled better.

I'm on the road adventures of A, G and W as a great story line (if done without tragedy; no bus wrecks where someone dies or almost dies or get paralyzed). Just fun

• Love 1

Scarlett's speech at the end was the only thing that moved me. In fact, when that kid shoved her and she hit the car, my first thought was 'there goes the baby' without an ounce of sympathy. If anything I was relieved. Not sure that's the reaction the writers were going for..

• Love 3

I really do feel sad for Scarlett and Gunnar for losing their baby. Scarlett's speech at the end was really moving, and I really felt Gunnar's helplessness and pain, and how he blamed himself for the miscarriage, even if he knew, in his head, that it wasn't his fault. All that being said, its hard to feel that bad about this when Scarlett has never really seemed happy or excited to have a baby. Or be with Gunnar. Or anything. She's sad and mopey every second of every day about everything, so her sadness about losing her unborn baby just kind of falls into the background of her usual sadness. I hope this is the real, true, official end to Scarlet and Gunnar, at least as a couple. They can sing together, but nothing else.

Please, can we just follow Avery and Gunnar on the road, with appearances by Will? That sounds like an awesome show! Well, I am enjoying Deacon the single dad, and his stuff with Jessie is alright, so at least the show has a few better moments than last season and its Maddie drama.

Speaking of Maddie drama, she apparently just heard she's in a nighttime soap opera, so someone HAS to throw a drink at someone's face at a party. Honestly, Maddie is going to get a rep for being a total mess at this rate. That being said, Maddie had every right to be pissed off at Juliette, as much as I love Juliette. If she had just asked Maddie for the song, she certainly would have given it to her. Instead, she went behind her back and repeatedly lied about it. Maddie has always had a certain amount of hero worship for Juliette, and sees her as a friend and mentor, so I can totally see why she feels betrayed.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Scarlett's speech at the end was the only thing that moved me. In fact, when that kid shoved her and she hit the car, my first thought was 'there goes the baby' without an ounce of sympathy. If anything I was relieved. Not sure that's the reaction the writers were going for..

completely agree. I had the exact same reaction--"oh good, there is the reason to be done with this story line!'

• Love 2

I can't figure out what they are doing with Rachel Bilson's character.  She's only been on screen for a few minutes which seems like a waste for both the actress and the character.  

So glad that Gunnar and Scarlett are done.  While I did like the couple at one time, season five took care of that.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, seewillrun said:

I can't figure out what they are doing with Rachel Bilson's character.  She's only been on screen for a few minutes which seems like a waste for both the actress and the character.  

So glad that Gunnar and Scarlett are done.  While I did like the couple at one time, season five took care of that.

Yeah I don't get what they are doing with Rachel either. Especially given she was hyped up as a new recurring character- along with Jessie. They both got little commercial bits in promos where they talked about their characters briefly. And barley anything has come from her. It's clear Jessie is Deacons new Love Interest. I knew it would be her or Summer Roberts, but now what is Summer doing there? And yes it does seem like a waste of time for her unless Rachel really doesn't have anything else going on, she could probably be doing something else. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I find it hard to care about Scarlett's sadness because nothing about her baby and relationship drama has engaged me. 

I think it might be because Clare Bowen isn't that great an actress? Or the storyline about her and Gunnar has been worked to death, or both? I liked both characters in season 1, but everything was better in season 1.

I've had three miscarriages and one tubal pregnancy. and it never occurred to me that they might have been "my fault." My husband and I really wanted a baby, but we accepted that it wasn't going to happen. Even after all that, I never carried on the way Sad Chipmunk Scarlett did with all the tears and angst.

I really can't stand Clare Bowen because I can't understand what she's saying most of the time. Why on earth was she--an Australian--selected to play a southern country music singer? Her accent is terrible and she mumbles most of her lines. I haven't liked her since the first episode she appeared in.

Edited by CruiseDiva
On 7/25/2017 at 11:45 AM, CruiseDiva said:

I've had three miscarriages and one tubal pregnancy. and it never occurred to me that they might have been "my fault." My husband and I really wanted a baby, but we accepted that it wasn't going to happen. Even after all that, I never carried on the way Sad Chipmunk Scarlett did with all the tears and angst.

I really can't stand Clare Bowen because I can't understand what she's saying most of the time. Why on earth was she--an Australian--selected to play a southern country music singer? Her accent is terrible and she mumbles most of her lines. I haven't liked her since the first episode she appeared in.

Cruise diva, Ive had a tubal and 3 mc also, but I had a stillbirth that occurred a few days after a fall--as much the drs told me it was a horrible coincidence I still feel the fall was part of it--thats why I was one of the few who appreciated the scene-- but I wish it was another character because Scarlett is always miserable for one reason or another.

• Love 1

Thank you for this. I understand it's upsetting to many, but from what they said on the show (I've never been pregnant) it seems like doctors don't prepare women well enough ahead of time. I mean, 15-20 percent of pregnancies in the U.S. end in MC, so it doesn't seem out of the ordinary. Therefore I had a hard time feeling sorry for Scarlett because I was like "this happens a lot." How could she not know that?? (Of course, I wasn't going to feel sorry for her anyway because OMG she's such an annoying character.)

Also, how far along was she? She barely had a bump, but the baby was far enough along to be brought to her in a blanket? (And, far enough along that they could tell the sex?) So she was beyond 12 weeks?

Bet you we'll never see her email what's-his-name the father to let him know.

• Love 1

Also, how far along was she? She barely had a bump, but the baby was far enough along to be brought to her in a blanket? (And, far enough along that they could tell the sex?) So she was beyond 12 weeks?

I thought that "blanket" part was nonsense and wondered if anyone else noticed it. I also wonder if a miscarried baby would be brought to a woman in the hospital... any nurses here who would know?

• Love 1

Not a nurse but I suffered a few miscarriages. Unless it was a stillborn, the baby would not be intact enough to be brought in a blanket. That is assuming she is no more than a few months pregnant. At her early point it is unlikely they would be telling her the sex either. My last miscarriage was at four months and I didn't know the sex or have the ability to hold the the baby.

27 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

Not a nurse but I suffered a few miscarriages. Unless it was a stillborn, the baby would not be intact enough to be brought in a blanket. That is assuming she is no more than a few months pregnant. At her early point it is unlikely they would be telling her the sex either. My last miscarriage was at four months and I didn't know the sex or have the ability to hold the the baby.

Thank you for sharing. I'm so sorry for your loss, but my experience with a three-month tubal pregnancy was similar. No sex determined and when I asked if we needed to arrange a burial they told me no--the hospital took care of 'arrangements' and I didn't ask what they were. It was pretty depressing.

My thought was similar to yours...that unless it was a nearly full term stillborn there was no way for her to hold it in the blanket.

• Love 1

Late to the party but I also had a miscarriage 42 years ago.  Can confirm didn't know the sex and that the baby was not intact.  I ended up having to have a D and C.  I got pregnant about 5 months later and then gave birth to my oldest son.

I can't believe that Maddie and Daphne said "how's the baby?" to Scarlett.  Who says that????

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 1