Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Turbulence

Drew (Brendan Fehr), his mom (guest star Becky Ann Baker), and Rick's (guest star Luke MacFarlane) flight home turns into a medical crisis at 35,000 feet when passengers become sickened one by one. Jordan (Jill Flint), Paul (Robert Bailey Jr.), Shannon (Tanaya Beatty), Kenny (JR Lemon), and Cain (Mark Consuelos) spend their day off at an obstacle course fundraiser for Cystic Fibrosis, hosted by Akbar Gbajabjamila ("American Ninja Warrior"). Scott (Scott Wolf) finds himself on a Tinder date he won't soon forget. Meanwhile, TC (Eoin Macken) puts his own life in danger to operate on a soldier.

Promo:

9 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Drew (Brendan Fehr), his mom (guest star Becky Ann Baker), and Rick's (guest star Luke MacFarlane) flight home turns into a medical crisis at 35,000 feet when passengers become sickened one by one.

Plot sounds absurd.  Not complaining about guest stars.

So, we segue from Airplane! ("It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now") to ER within the span of an hour.  And Drew, your ass looks better in a pair of tight jeans, but you are no Mark Greene.

That said, I really liked that entire subplot, as ridiculous as it was.  Mrs. Allister is right, Drew and Rick are a great team.

Did anything that happened with TC impact the rest of the story.. I kinda ffd anytime he showed up on my screen... Also ppl sure came down on paul... I mean kenny was being a douche to him

• Love 1
(edited)

Amira isn't a drug addict, she's self-medicating for multiple sclerosis.  TC asked her to come back to San Antonio with him for treatment.  She decided to return to London instead, in part because she hadn't seen her husband in a while (TWIST!), even though she basically said she was in love with TC because of course she was.

I didn't hate the San Antonio Ninja Warrior portion of tonight's proceedings.  It was a nice thing to do for Bri.

And no kink-shaming of Scott.  That was a nice surprise.

ETA:  Respect for the male nurse with the Sam Shepard 'stache.

EATA:  There were several points where it seemed like Rick and Drew should have kissed.  Are we back to Brendan Fehr being afraid of catching gay from Luke McFarlane?

Edited by starri
  • Love 1

I was doing other things while this was on so missed Drew in jeans. Rats. And yeah, the unexploded ordinance plot is pretty routine now, ever since the lovely Kyle Chandler got blown up by one in Seattle Grace all those years ago. The pseudo-ANW runs were fun. That is a good way to raise money and do charity. Too funny the obstacles couldn't be called what they are though, salmon ladder, jumping spider. I didn't realize Akbar was hosting. I guess because Matt Isman was busy being on Jane Lynch's show. And shades of "Gerald's Game" with the handcuffed-Scott thing. At least the woman didn't die like in King's book, and good on Scott for finding a "partner." As for TC, all I could think was, don't they have showers or razors in Syria? He looks like he smells to high heaven. And his new squeeze is married ... so what. Makes no difference to anything IMO. I don't find TC the least bit interesting. In fact, he's the opposite IMO.

Leave it to The Night Shift to take three plots that could have carried a whole episode (and have, for the most part, in many other hospital shows), and cram them into the same episode, with another story (Scott) to boot. 

I missed the first five minutes... was it mentioned who was actually working the night shift while all our regulars were in the air/ being Ninja Warriors/ having sex?

And did Jordan not know that Rick was also on the plane? Her comforting Brie with "I'm sure your dad (singular) will be fine" was strange.

I did like TC's Topher moment, and all the random McGyver-ing on the plane, particularly by Rick and his Cooking Channel skills. Other than that, I really wished they hadn't tried to do so many separate stories.

They did say that the catering company mixed it up.  So not on the airline.

I mean, we didn't see any of the passengers beaten and dragged off the plane, so there's that.

• Love 2

What are the odds that the pilots, the rest of the crew, Drew, his husband and the mom didn't have any ice but EVERYONE else on the plane did?! Come.On!! Did I hear right that the flight was coming from Pittsburgh? They couldn't do an emergency landing at any other airport between PA and TX? And how many ERs did they pass so everyone could be admitted to S.A. Memorial? Also, I didn't understand the fundraising for CF - I'm assuming for their daughter, yet Drew and husband didn't attend? 

I FF through every TC/Syria scene.

• Love 2
(edited)

A pregnant woman with pre-eclampsia who needs an emergency C-section, Food poisoning with puking and death,  AND turbulence from flying through a storm,  all on one flight?  

And then there's the guy with an explosive inside his body.  

On top of all that, there's the cliché that any time you do the sexy handcuff thing, your partner will faint, die, or have a heart attack, leaving you cuffed to the headboard.  

this show is too much.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 1

Hoshi!!  Sorry, I mean Linda Park from Star Trek: Enterprise as the lone flight attendant who apparently didn't drink any of the ice!  Great to see you!

All the stuff on the plane was ridiculous, but I'm not against watching Drew get to play the hero for once, along with Rick (yay!) and his mom.  They pretty much made everything better.  Even the cheesy reveal over the mother naming her baby after both of them worked, due to the goofy grin Rick had on his face when he heard that.  I would demand more Rick, but I don't want it to take away from Luke Macfarlane's time on Killjoys either, so hopefully they'll find a right balance to have him pop back in more often?

So, Amira was taking those drugs for MS?  Man, MS sure has become the popular disease lately on television.  Oh, wait, she is also married too, but claims it's "complicated," which, whatever.  Oh, and T.C. claims he's becoming Topher, which, no.

The charity competition was fun, even though it was obvious they would win, especially after Jordan started that bet with the other team.  Which, way to include your team on that decision there, Jordan.

Scott is trying his luck with Tinder.  Hey, for this group, that is actually a normal way to find a relationship.

• Love 2