Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Line Of Our Elders

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, mrsbagnet said:

I might be able to muster some outrage over Hollywood pushing Vi if it weren't for the fact that Vi does the exact same thing to her nieces and nephew. She and Hollywood are both bossy and interfering.

That is too true! Maybe that's why they get along so well (when they aren't fighting). lol

(edited)

I really do try to root for RA, I really do, because I don't think he's an intrinsically a bad person, but oh my GOD he's such an asshole. The only shock I found was him deciding to tell everyone about the letter wasn't just in the middle of an argument with his sisters about how they need to listen him or some shit. Who drops a bombshell like that during family dinner, while saying grace?!?! If RA had any sense, he would have burned that letter and pretended he never saw it. But, we`ve established that he has zero sense, so here we are. What an absolute train wreck that dinner scene was.

I feel like one of the reasons Nova was so pissed off (beyond the obvious) is that she spends her time working with and advocating for black people who have been imprisoned and screwed over by the system, who had no resources and struggled their whole lives, while RA had every advantage that those people could have dreamed of (stable home, loving family, family farm), and he still ended up as another young black man in prison. I think she's always had that frustration with RA, and this is just the moment it boiled over. Finding out that their dad was cleaning toilets and working himself to the bone, even as an old man, to provide for Blue while RA was robbing convenience stores for a few bucks couldn't have helped either.

Side note: That store owner or manager or whatever was a real dick for firing that woman for giving money to RA when he robbed the store. He had a gun and was threatening her with it! I'm pretty positive that RA wouldn't have actually hurt anyone, but she didn't know that. I almost hope that she IDs him and his ass gets sent back to prison. Like I said, I am rooting for the guy, so I don't really want that, but I wouldn't be surprised.

If anyone in the world needs a spa day, its Charlie.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 8
On July 22, 2017 at 9:43 PM, Dee said:

And when Vi wanted to quit after a particularly bad day, he doesn't tell her it would be perfectly fine if she wants to quit. He simply continues pressuring her, however well meaning, to do more.

I think people see things differently and milage varies.  If I had a boyfriend who, after I had a hard day and wanted to quit told me, "that's find if you want to quit baby."  WTF!! Get out of my house with that shit.  The last thing I need is for a lover or a friend to enable my dysfunction.  

But that's why milage varies.

• Love 2
(edited)

I could understand that feeling if the business was primarily Vi's idea, but it wasn't.

If Vi wanted to stop after a particularly bad day of pursuing the business, Wood, as her supposed lifemate, should've let her know he was amenable to her decision; but because the business wasn't really about her, he had no problem ignoring her feelings in order to placate his own.

Edited by Dee
On 7/19/2017 at 11:29 PM, mrsbagnet said:

Blue's a pretty cool kid. I'm surprised it took him this long to spot NotKenya, but he handled it very maturely. It was nice of RA to not throw Darla under the bus.

I'm impressed that as much as RA and Davis are assholes, the show does show them as being fairly decent fathers. His explanation to Blue was truthful, but not full disclosure. He didn't damage Blue's relationship with Darla. RA is so frustrating - he can be so sensitive with Blue and with his trans friend, but so insensitive with Darla and his sisters. And the man thinks way too highly of himself given his track record.

On 7/20/2017 at 5:29 AM, peridot said:

That reporter was such an asshole.  If you're trying to get the truth about things, don't be antagonistic towards your interviewee.  I can tell nothing good will come from him, especially since Charley told him she was getting a divorce.  Her mom really messed her up, I was surprised to see her go crazy over the jam.

I agree. I was astonished that someone as savvy as Charley's supposed to be didn't just shut down that reporter when it came to her and Davis, or even seem suspicious of him. His tone was pretty clear from the start. I thought she was going to give him something else - maybe the Landrys threats and such. The divorce surprised me.

On 7/20/2017 at 4:22 PM, Arcadiasw said:

Even though it was a serious moment I did laugh at Hollywood telling Darla to stay out it.  Darla needs to get confidence in herself and realize she can do better. 

I thought Hollywood was talking to Vi - he'd mentioned staying out of it to her earlier in the episode, if I recall correctly. So that's the way I took it. Though I can see Darla as the target of the comment as well.

• Love 1