Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: The After Show Part 1

• Start Topic

(edited)

Daphne Oz can sure prattle on. She's the perfect TV host.

Do you think the Duggars know her dad is of Turkish Muslim descent? 

Which Duggar has won the teeth whitening arms race?

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 3

So they're going to rehash footage and play an exciting round of "If Joe were a cruciferous vegetable, which one would he be? Yeah, I'll pass, but I'll be here to read the snark. It's way more entertaining than the actual show.

• Love 7

I guess I'll post TLC's preview for NEXT season here, since we've seen this all anyway. They're going even FURTHER back in time, if that's possible. I mean, Joe's going to ask Kendra to court. We'll see that after they get married (likely...wedding in late August/early September, season premieres 9/11). 

Prepare to be bored out of your skulls. 

https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/counting-on/videos/sneak-peek-of-counting-on-season-three

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I guess I'll post TLC's preview for NEXT season here, since we've seen this all anyway. They're going even FURTHER back in time, if that's possible. I mean, Joe's going to ask Kendra to court. We'll see that after they get married (likely...wedding in late August/early September, season premieres 9/11). 

https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/counting-on/videos/sneak-peek-of-counting-on-season-three

Ridiculous, freaking ridiculous.

• Love 5

Okay, so if I had never heard of these people and tuned in I would think they were a bunch of rich kids.  Swiss, French and Australian honeymoons, four bedroom starter homes, private planes.  A Rembrandt, it must be an original.  No I would never believe they lived in squalor and handouts.

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

Wild guess here-no mention of the lawsuit huh?

No way their lawyers would allow them to discuss it. Anything they say, even the most offhand, innocent remark, could be used by the defense at trial.

If this was my first time watching the show, I would think that Jinger was a stranger who wandered in off the street and into this session.  Based on the way she was clinging to her husband, it’s clear that she is over her family, especially Jessa.  How magnanimous of Jess to tell Jinger it’s okay for her to get an epidural when giving birth.   

• Love 17

Jinger escaping to Laredo is awesome. Now if only Jana could escape. I declare an FU internet moment re Tater Tot casserole. So they really all disliked it all along? And stupid host claiming "Mom's cooking is best." Obviously she never watched the show. MEchelle never cooked. 

• Love 15

I loved that Jinger and Jeremy didn't say anything during the courting and that Jeremy kept looking on his phone. They so want as little to do with this circus as possible.

And wow Jessa way to take overr an interview. I mean I know she's a take charge person but dang.

• Love 12

OMG WTF. I dont understand why they are going back in time! That literally makes no sense. So disorganized. An OCD persons worst nightmare. And is it me or did Austin have more chemistry and more excitement when he was flirting with Laura during the wedding? Not one clip of him was he smiling. Ugh. 

• Love 2

I didn't notice Jeremy and the phone. I did notice Jinger hanging on his arm for dear life. I also noticed Joy sitting on Austin's lap towards the back of the room before they gathered them all together.  I was amused by the ' each couple  sets their own courtship rules ' and 'Ben had trouble following the rules'How could he have trouble -  they were never left alone to he able to break  any rules. 

I like how Jinger doesn't see the need to rush right out and decorate a nursery since she's not pregnant. Why didn't this hostess ask Jinger about her clothing choices? Was it because that's not been televised? 

• Love 8
(edited)

Was this taped before Samuel was born?

ETA: I confess, I didn't - and don't intend to - watch this episode, and am curious about how recently it was taped.

I can't believe TLC needs two recap shows after only five new episodes. But after seeing the ratings for the last five new episodes, it seems that whatever dreck TLC puts out there, there's a base of about 1.3 million viewers who will tune in. Duggars + TLC = forever and ever. Amen.  

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 5

What a waste of time.  I'm sure we could come up with a list of 100 questions that would be interesting.  And Jessa can shut up once in a while and cool it with the fake laugh.

• Love 9
(edited)

I didn't know that JinJer had bought a house.  It's pretty nice for newlyweds and what they need at the moment.  I'm glad that neither one of them has plans for a nursery, just an office and a guest room! 

Joy leaving subliminal (would she even know that word) messages around is kind of hilarious and kind of creepy.  So much for letting the Lord lead you. Although it would have been even more amazing if she'd printed out every Bible verse referring to "joy."  THAT'S how you land a man with the Lord in mind. ;)

I don't think Jeremy could have rolled his eyes further back in his head during the courtship talk.

JD's humor is nice. "He's asking ME for relationship advice, a guy who's never been in one." Very self deprecating.

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 13

Sounds like JoStin came home to tape this between Switzerland and Israel. This would have been about the time that Jerick were on their #babymoon. Joy and Austin went back to Isreal around June 23 (returned home 7/3, which is more than 23 days after the wedding). 

If Jill was healthy enough to go to Branson, why didn't she show up to tape this hot mess? Duggars don't turn down paychecks. Jeremy may be over it, but he knows who bought that nice house in Laredo. And it wasn't him. 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

The title of this thread says season 4 and the promo is for season 3? I'm confused.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, realitytvbitch980 said:

OMG WTF. I dont understand why they are going back in time! That literally makes no sense. So disorganized. An OCD persons worst nightmare. And is it me or did Austin have more chemistry and more excitement when he was flirting with Laura during the wedding? Not one clip of him was he smiling. Ugh. 

It was so all over the place. Maybe to trick the viewers into thinking they were watching something substantial? 

Why were Jessa and Ben even there? We don't need to hear anything more about their 3 year old courtship. Poor Ben was a hormonal teenager with no outlet, glad God was able to help the dude out. But Jessa did need to slip in her PTV FU about how Jinger supposedly sets Jessa up to be be the bitch.

Jing & Jer can manage a 4 bedroom home on a Pastor's salary and TLC income, yet Jill & Derick need donations to live in 2 free homes?

Joy squirmed about the baby question. I'm predicting a Forsyth baby in less than 9 months.

Shocked that the unmarrieds were allowed in the same segment with the married couples. And why Jana, JD & Josiah, but no Jed & Jer?

• Love 12

This episode confused me - not the Q&A, that was easy but the relationships.   

Yay for Jinger and Jer buying a house, is it wrong to say I'd actually look forward to any house hunting/moving coverage they want to add to next season?  But DO NOT look forward to any scenes of the Duggar clan descending on said house to decorate.  Also bonus points for Jinger for her clothes - it might have been a dress but it was nearly sleeveless when the other three all had long sleeve sweaters.  Jinger doesn't care about her "defrauding shoulders" (as she shouldn't).

Daphne actually said something "sucks" - quite the swear word in the Dugger-verse.

But the relationships.  At the start it looked like Joy and Austin on one end where he talked and she deferred and Jessa/Ben on the far other side where she ran the show.  With Jinger and Jer in the middle.  As the show went on Jinger and Jer didn't change from center but the others did.  Jessa does run the show but it seemed to be because Ben just wasn't interested in talking or even reacting - does he not know where to look when he has nothing to say so he just puts on a thousand yard stare?  Was he high on allergy meds?  Was he just completely checked out of the interview and that was his "the contract says I have to be here" face?

On the opposite side Joy started to show personality - I got the feeling she has a wicked sense of humor or sarcasm and a stronger will than we realized.  She doesn't say much so it comes across as submissive or no personality but when she does talk she seems able to bring the zingers.  You wouldn't think that was in her based on the way she acted at the wedding, especially right before the ceremony but maybe this is her real personality and the things she did/said before the ceremony was just not caring about the pageantry and nerves?  I hope she does actually have that spark in her and that Austin isn't as much of a tool as he seems.

Please Duggars and TLC - if you want to truly have an FU Internet show stop asking Jinger about babies (and don't bug Joy about it either even if we do think she'll make an announcement soon) and stop asking Jana about courting.  It may be important in Duggar-land but it's not ALL they are; it's also very obvious they're not comfortable with the questions and doing their best to deflect so considering it's been asked multiple times in recent episodes isn't it time to just drop it and wait.

• Love 13

Since Jim Bob already had that 100 page questionnaire returned to him by Jeremy, he already knew what Jeremy's financial status was. No need to ask those unfortunate financial questions about affording Jinger's thrift store shopping habit...Having said that, since JB was so worried about that, how is it that the Vuolos purchased on 6/5 a 4 bedroom very nice house, built in 1999 which they paid $160,400 for? We all know they don't accumulate debt, so how could they have paid CASH for it? I looked up the sale on the county property records out there, but since it's a different state, there are different avenues in to the public records so I don't know if a mortgage was recorded or not. If someone knows about Webb County, TX, please check in to their public recorded records. If there is a mortgage on the house, it will be recorded there.

These kids are NOT poor in the least. I agree that they all sounded like children who had a very wealthy upbringing..."we'll just get John to fly us out there'...etc...how is it that they lived like sardines on public and private food donations?

Daphne Oz was awful. She needed to shut up and quit talking herself. She was to ASK the questions, not carry on about herself, etc. I wanted to give her a barette for that hair all over the place. I also notice HOW MODEST she was dressed. They needed someone who would ask real question, not embarrassing or inappropriate ones, but the REAL questions.  Too much chatter and talking over one another that I couldn't follow the response. Of course, we ALL KNOW that with anything public, Jim Bob and Michelle aren't far away. Next week, we have to see their awful faces. They were sitting off camera making sure nothing 'real' happened.

Jana is doing nothing but a garden? Perhaps those adult children will REGRET living out their youth as old people with such narrow parameters with no real life experience...experience that does NOT have to include sin. How will they handle THAT regret, I wonder. TIME and YOUTH cannot be redeemed, even for the Duggars. This, I believe, is a sin of their parents.

Jessa needs to shut up.

Ben needs to appear sober.

Jeremy and Jinger needed to answer the courtship rule breaking question directly and with SILENCE around them.

The Vuolos needed to explain how it is that they afforded a $160,000+ house so quickly on a modest pastor's salary and why they needed to begin with a 4 bedroom one.

So much more disgust to add, but I'll look forward to reading all of your astute observations now.

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, floridamom said:

The Vuolos needed to explain how it is that they afforded a $160,000+ house so quickly on a modest pastor's salary and why they needed to begin with a 4 bedroom one.

It looks like Jinger and Jeremy have an owner-financed "mortgage".  Basically instead of taking a mortgage through the bank, they are paying the mortgage back to the previous owners.  As long as they make payments according to whatever structure they set up, they'll own the house at the end of it.  Owner-financing can be very predatory in Texas, so hopefully they hired a real estate lawyer to protect themselves.

$160,400 is not the purchase price, just the county-assigned property value.  As far as I can tell, the property was never listed on the MLS.  Again, common with owner-financing.  Texas is a non-disclosure state as far as purchase prices.  They could have paid $50,000 for the house, they could have paid $200,000.  

• Love 5

DAFTnee Oz was an odd choice for hosting this show...did she draw the short straw among the stable of generic show hosts?

Coming dressed with a pile of sheer tablecloths for a skirt, a jacket she got from a production crew member because she forgot about the "no bearing arms" rule, she looked a mess.

DAFTnee inserted herself into the convo too often and tickled herself with her own stories. You have nothing in common with these people. Stop reaching.

JD to host the next reunion...he won't talk over his sisters.

• Love 10

Of course, we ALL KNOW that with anything public, Jim Bob and Michelle aren't far away. Next week, we have to see their awful faces. They were sitting off camera making sure nothing 'real' happened.

This.

Once I watched the older Duggar girls on Utube giving some speech in front of a church congregation.  As the girls recited their memorized lines, the camera panned to the front row where Michelle was seated. She was mouthing the words, making sure the girls didn't go off script.

Now, I always picture JB and Michelle just off camera during all TH's.

• Love 7
(edited)

I started watching a little bit of the show this morning before I had to leave for work.  

Some things just jumped out at me.  1) Ben is miserable.  2) Jinger is very happy.  3) I loved Jinger & Jeremy's body language (his hand on her knee, her hands wrapped around his arm). 4) I don't think Jana will ever leave home.  Even if she ever marries, I'd be surprised if they didn't live at the compound.

I don't know if Jana's situation is "contentment" or "acceptance".  Either way, I feel for her.  I think she would do great living out on her own, but I don't know if she has any marketable skills to offer an employer.  I wish Jeremy would hook her up with one of his single friends.  Most of his friends are his age and I think that would be a plus.

Even though this show is call Jill and Jessa whatever, I like those two least of all the sisters.  IMO, Jessa is a phony as a $3 dollar bill.  Jill, poor thing, has just gone down hill mentally since living in Central America.  Joy is still a child in my eyes.  The brothers are sooooo boring!  Jinger and Jeremy are my favorite couple (can't you tell?)  They're pacing their lives.  They're getting used to being a couple.  They're waiting until they're more established to have children.  I wish the producers would stop bringing up babies to them.  The producers (and the Duggar clan) act like you gotta have a baby nine months after marriage or something's wrong with you.  Crazy!

Edited by Evagirl
typos
  • Love 13
9 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

I started watching a little bit of the show this I had to leave for work.  

Some things just jumped out at me.  1) Ben is miserable.  2) Jinger is very happy.  3) I loved Jinger & Jeremy's body language (his hand on her knee, her hands wrapped around his arm). 4) I don't think Jana will ever leave home.  Even if she ever marries, I'd be surprised if they didn't live at the compound.

I don't know if Jana's situation is "contentment" or "acceptance".  Either way, I feel for her.  I think she would do great living out on her own, but I don't know if she has any marketable skills to offer an employer.  I wish Jeremy would hook her up with one of his single friends.  Most of his friends are his age and I think that would be a plus.

Even though this show is call Jill and Jessa whatever, I like those two least of all the sisters.  IMO, Jessa is a phony as a $3 dollar bill.  Jill, poor thing, has just gone down hill mentally since living in Central America.  Joy is still a child in my eyes.  The brothers are sooooo boring!  Jinger and Jeremy are my favorite couple (can't you tell?)  They're pacing their lives.  They're getting used to being a couple.  They're waiting until they're more established to have children.  I wish the producers would stop bringing up babies to them.  The producers (and the Duggar clan) act like you gotta have a baby nine months after marriage or something's wrong with you.  Crazy!

In their world something is wrong with you. And they are crazy.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Annb67 said:

I can almost see Jinj and Jer bristling every time that baby question is asked. It's rude and intrusive. Btw Boob, that little question you asked Jer about providing for his wife. They just bought a house...more than you could do until TCL came along...shove it.

Jeremy might have some money invested or saved up (although people have dug around and said he didn't make much as a soccer player) but a TLC paycheck helped pay for the Vuolo house. 

The entire clan on the couches is getting some TLC bucks.  Jinger and Jeremy can pretend to distance themselves but I'm sure they are pretty darn eager to get a TLC check.  

• Love 3

One thing that I noticed about the sibling dynamic was how much they interrupted one another!  Perhaps that comes as a survival mechanism from being one of a brood of 19, but it came across as very rude, and also difficult for the viewer to follow the conversation.  The moderator did little to help the situation.

• Love 10

saylubee: I thought that might be the appraised value of the property as per the assessor's office after I posted it. Thank you for the Texas info on that. Each state is a bit different.

So, you think they're paying the seller and have a private mortgage with him or are they paying Jim Bob? Perhaps he fronted the money. We know how they all feel about debt to strangers. They don't believe in renting UNLESS it's a Duggar collecting the rent.

• Love 1