Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Escape

• Start Topic

The whole "Dean goes to Miami" thing seemed unrealistic to me. He's clearly not functional enough to go on his own, so if Virginia hadn't accompanied him, was Desna planning to take him? Of course letting him go with Virginia was as foolish a decision as letting him go alone would have been.

Juanda looked like a drag queen in her GWTW outfit.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, J-Man said:

He's clearly not functional enough to go on his own, so if Virginia hadn't accompanied him, was Desna planning to take him? 

I think Dean mentioned to Desna that she doesn't have to take him because his girlfriend is going to.

Dr. Ken sure cleans up nice, doesn't he?

Is this finally the end of crazy lady/Roller and whatever the hell that plot was? Please let that be the end! It was only for two episodes, but it felt like a hundred. I will take Russian mobsters over crazy art lady any day of any week. At least with them, you kind of know what your in for. Crazy lady is just random and deeply uncomfortable.

I can see why Jen is upset, but she is being ridiculously petty and cowardly when it comes to dealing with what Desna did. Its not like Desna was trying to mess her life up, it was messed up by her husbands crazy family and his connections to them. I hope they make up, and Jen doesn't go full on dark side.

I admit, Virginia is a short sighted, self centered idiot, but I kind of have a soft spot for her. I think she could grow to be a better person (if not a super intelligent one) if she would just stop doing things without thinking them through. Like, sleeping with Dean is a horrible idea for MANY reasons, both from a moral and practical standpoint, but she does seem to like Dean (she probably sees him as being super sweet and respectful towards her, where most guys treat her like a piece of ass), and to her, showing a guy she likes him is sleeping with them. From what I've gathered anyway. Being his "first" is something she's doing as a favor to him after he defended her. Its an awful idea that will surly end horribly, but I can follow what she was thinking. Also, did Desna really know what this art show was? I find it sort of questionable that she would be cool with her seriously autistic brother going off to pose nude with only Virginia to watch out for him.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, GaT said:

Yes, she acted like Chris Brown was a good guy for a long time.

That was a good one.

She has 15 acting credits already. I've watched a couple of them. Just saying this isn't her first go round. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I just can't work up any energy over Virginia. The actress is on the show because, eye candy. This is the maddest I've been at her character, and I'm still like, meh. Whatever.

What does bother the hell out of me about this show is the total lack of realism about mundane business stuff. I just watched the last couple episodes. A major plot point of the season has been Desna wanting to rent (rent, right, not buy??) the salon that's being vacated by Mrs. Whatshername. It doesn't even make sense that Mrs. is moving her salon; why isn't she just opening another location? Well never mind that. Even more ridiculously, she's all up in the business of who the next tenant will be. Now I rent both an apartment and an office for my business. I don't expect to have any control of who rents these things once I leave. (And if I've misinterpreted and Mrs. Whatever is selling the salon, their behavior is also unrealistic. Why would one be adversarial to a prospective buyer?)  Finally, it makes no sense that Mrs. Salon Owner would not be taking her entire staff, and if there were to be some kind of staff transfer of some kind, it would have been worked out during the transaction, not afterwards. It's like the entire plot was devised to lead up to the slo-mo power walk and confrontation scene between Desna's crew and the Mrs. Lady crew. Which... why? Why was that so great anyway?

Don't even get me started on HOW HAS ROLLER NOT DIED. It is unrealistic that he did not die of a gunshot wound to the chest because of blood loss. But if somehow he survived that and being launched into the swamp on a burning boat... Then how has he not died of infection? Was crazy lady giving him antibiotics? She did seem to have a lot of pills. They could have written in a line about that I suppose, to throw a bone to realism, but didn't even bother.

I thought the over the top and ridiculous nature of this show was best showcased in Roller's funeral. I watched that and said, "wow." Or when Polly was totally playing that golddigger, that was amazing! But more and more with each episode, I am taken out of each scene by how much it doesn't make sense, and how obviously the scene was written to acheive some hamfisted plot goal. It seems like they are writing the story to go to certain destinations rather than asking themselves, "what would naturally happen next?" I guess I have just watched too much Vince Gilligan and I expect too much.

Edited by flotsette
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, flotsette said:

and an office for my business. I don't expect to have any control of who rents these things once I leave. (And if I've misinterpreted and Mrs. Whatever is selling the salon, their behavior is also unrealistic. Why would one be adversarial to a prospective buyer?)  Finally, it makes no sense that Mrs. Salon Owner would not be taking her entire staff, and if there were to be some kind of staff transfer of some kind, it would have been worked out during the transaction, not afterwards. It's like the entire plot was devised to lead up to the slo-mo power walk and confrontation scene between Desna's crew and the Mrs. Lady crew. Which... why? Why was that so great anyway?

Now that you mention it, I don't even remember if Desna is renting or buying the salon.  

And I am totally over the whole "slo-mo power walk" trope.  It needs to stop. 

• Love 1
On 7/30/2017 at 1:21 PM, Ohwell said:

Now that you mention it, I don't even remember if Desna is renting or buying the salon.  

And I am totally over the whole "slo-mo power walk" trope.  It needs to stop. 

I am not sure they ever made it clear. However I have assumed it is renting, because they talked about monthly amounts (with the nicer salon being 5 times the cost of the moderate one). I guess they could have also been talking about mortgage payments, but that would be extremely unusual for a business like hers, and also inconsistent with Desna's money problems.

I don't mind a slo mo power walk sometimes, but every show? And having the story be WRITTEN AROUND THEM?  No.

The tightness of this crew and their complete loyalty to Desna makes me really want an episode devoted to how they all got together. I would especially like to know more about Quiet Ann. She is very protective of Desna. Two moments stuck out for me this episode: When she grabbed Jenn by the throat and slammed her against the wall after Jenn threatened to tell on Desna at the party--while obviously feeling bad about it and talking about how much they all love each other; and her telling Desna she should have told her about the Coombs and let her take care of them, as that was her job. Quiet Ann, who are you? And just what exactly is your skill set?