Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Escape

• Start Topic

(edited)

Way too much going on.

I knew Virginia was going to boink Dean when she saw his package.   That whole "I want your first time to be special" was bullshit; she just wanted to fuck him for herself.  Unfortunately, there's not much Desna can do about it when she finds out because Dean is an adult.  However, I hope Desna knocks her out cold.  

Edited by Ohwell
typos
  • Love 12
9 minutes ago, Syndicate said:

I think this episode marked the end of crazy lady, which should please many of you who couldn't stomach the storyline. 

I sure as hell hope so.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Syndicate said:

I'm calling it now: Virginia learns she's pregnant via Dean in the finale.

That loud crash y'all heard was me falling to the floor in a dead faint.  Lord, I hope this doesn't happen.  Dean is a sweet man, and Virginia is simply too stupid to live.  I wouldn't trust her to feed a goldfish, much less take care of a human baby.

Desna's life can be summed up with this theme:  the law of unintended consequences.

• Love 20

When Dean mentioned he was going to South Beach, I thought it was for a body-building competition, not an audition to be living art.  The art show was crazy.

I'm surprised Jen actually got to the point of bringing a man to the house.  She was a coward for lying to Desna about being sick and having her husband deliver the keys to Desna.  I couldn't believe she was going to tell Uncle Daddy about Desna, how spiteful.  I'm glad Quiet Ann choked her out when she tried to attack Desna.

Virginia is unbelievable - she was giving way too much attitude to Desna in the beginning like she knew what was best for Dean, and she broke her promise and slept with Dean anyway.  What a low down character, I hope she's done away with in the finale or something. 

So now the crazy artist has escalated to drugging Roller and threatening him at gun point, I was hoping the Russians would kill her at the end. 
I wonder how they found Roller so easily. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, peridot said:

When Dean mentioned he was going to South Beach, I thought it was for a body-building competition, not an audition to be living art.  The art show was crazy.

I thought he said bodybuilding too.  Maybe he was just mistaken and didn't realize exactly what it was.

• Love 2

I know she's a dum dum but I still like Virginia. At the very least she knew enough from jump to want to be in with Desna's crew because they're smart and take care of each other. She craves a place to belong and acceptance. She also has a twisted logic that is short sighted and yet has kernels -very small kernels of a decent idea. But yeah most actions are still in self preservation first mode which I think she still has a hard habit to shake except when she shot Roller. Which was as much for her revenge as to save Desna and get in good with her.

I do buy that she cares for Dean and yeah she wanted to hit that package but also Dean liked her for her and she also responded to that. And in her twisted logic she rationalized that he was a nice guy who deserved to have sex with someone who cares for him -which she does or believes she does. He actually likes seeing her and acknowledges her unlike everyone else around her. 

I'd worry about Dean getting an STD before Virginia got pregnant. That may be how Desna finds out!

Toby and Desna sit down was great. 

Jen and Desna both looked smashing at Uncle Daddy's party.

Bryce and Jen imploding is sad. They're a rootable couple allowing a lot of external crap rip them apart.

Hope Crazy lady is done. The only good thing about that storyline is that he did look fine as hell in that suit.

• Love 6
(edited)

Why is Virginia so stupid? Why would she think it was a good idea to screw Dean THEN tell him that they should stay just friends? I can't with her. She stays thinking she knows best and making stupid decisions. She screwed Desna's man behind her back with zero remorse and now she's screwed Desna's brother behind her back with no remorse. She is so tiresome. 

I like the drama with Desna and Jen. It feels genuine from both sides how they feel and I appreciated it wasn't a quick fix. I like that Quiet Anne firmly has Desna's back. 

I don't think Uncle Daddy is letting Desna out. Not really. He's not that type. I think for him, you're in for life... however long that life may be.  

Happy the story with Roller and his rapist is over but the twist with the Russians, though. 

I still don't trust Desna's gynecologist boo but I am also not invested in that story.

Dr. Ken is a mess but I am enjoying his appreciation for Polly. 

Toby has layers. Nice to see that. 

Edited by Chick2Chic
adding more trash in Virginia's lap.
  • Love 8

Speaking of Quiet Ann -- that scene with Officer Hottie...  Where were you born? Any brothers or sisters?  Damn, you really are Quiet Ann!

1 hour ago, TobinAlbers said:

I know she's a dum dum but I still like Virginia. At the very least she knew enough from jump to want to be in with Desna's crew because they're smart and take care of each other. She craves a place to belong and acceptance.

This is the actresses first role and I like that they're letting her ease into the character and starting to give her at least a little depth.  She may be selfish but when Dean tells her she doesn't need to look for a boyfriend because he is her boyfriend, she just mouths "Shit" and lets Dean believe he is her boyfriend (and holds his hand like a girlfriend at the exhibit).

• Love 3

Only in Virginia's dumb, fucked up mind is sleeping with Dean to segway into breaking up with him a good idea.  She's so infuriating!  I don't think deep down, she's a terrible person, but Virginia seems to look at her options for making a decision and flips the table to see what's under the floor.  Get your shit together, girl.

Jenn really upset me tonight.  Your husband is a sucker who was always going to do bad things for Uncle Daddy, but, yeah, totally all Desna's fault.  Cry me a river while you spend your money in your massive house getting cozy with the square dance guy while all your friends struggle.  I was all about Ann choking her out.

Uncle Daddy's aside about how new businesses fail was, IMO, a warning.  He isn't going to let her walk.  He saw how those ridiculous Georgia guys reacted to her.  She's a big part of his money making and one of the few competent ppl in his circle, so he won't really let her go.   That said, I'd really like Toby to succeed in the business; something about that actor is endearing.

Desna's dude continues to be fine, but fairly forgettable.  

I'm hoping we never have to see the crazy artist lady ever again, but interesting that the Russians have Roller.  I'm sure Bryce isn't going to be happy Roller is back since he is clearly overshadowed by him.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, TrininisaScorp said:

Uncle Daddy's aside about how new businesses fail was, IMO, a warning.  

I thought it was a threat. I think he's going to let her get her new place going, then he's going to burn it down or something. Just like he was behind the robbery at the clinic to get Bryce to continue working for him.

• Love 13
(edited)
15 hours ago, peridot said:

15 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I thought he said bodybuilding too.  Maybe he was just mistaken and didn't realize exactly what it was.

Virginia is unbelievable - she was giving way too much attitude to Desna in the beginning like she knew what was best for Dean, and she broke her promise and slept with Dean anyway.  What a low down character, I hope she's done away with in the finale or something. 

Dean kept saying he was going to Art South Beach, which is clearly their off-brand generic equivalent of Art Basel: Miami. 

Virginia is a dumbass. It's completely in character for her to sleep with Dean because it was the dumbest solution for a problem.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 4

Eh, I can see Jenn's point. Her life has been seriously affected by choices Desna made and if they're "family" then why is she keeping her out of the loop.And Desna has been kind of short sighted in a lot of this. Thinking she could frame two people with Shit she got from Rollers house and ask that would happen is they got arrested?? Really?? You think Clay is just going to be satisfied with that? And thinking she's "out"? Mmhmm, let me know how that works out for you.

• Love 6

Maybe it was Desna who said something about bodybuilding?  I could have sworn I heard somebody say it as it relates to Dean.

I'm sorry but Quiet Ann brings nothing to the table as far as I'm concerned.  It's ok to have few lines to say as long as you can emote, but she fails at even that.  I wonder if the actress gets paid as much as the actresses who play Polly and Jen, or some of the other characters like Dean and Bryce.  Even Virginia's dumb ass can play dumb convincingly enough. 

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I'm sorry but Quiet Ann brings nothing to the table as far as I'm concerned.  It's ok to have few lines to say as long as you can emote, but she fails at even that.  I wonder if the actress gets paid as much as the actresses who play Polly and Jen, or some of the other characters like Dean and Bryce.  Even Virginia's dumb ass can play dumb convincingly enough. 

I wonder if she's supposed to be like the character Snoop from The Wire, except she doesn't come across as hard as Snoop did.  Plus, the actress who portrayed Snoop was actually playing herself.

My B.S. detector went into overdrive when Detective Hottie started probing [no pun intended] Quiet Ann to tell her something about herself.  Maybe this is one of those instances where Quiet Ann's silence works to her advantage.  I could totally see Shit-for-Brains Virginia spilling her life story with little prompting.

• Love 2

I don't think Uncle Daddy is letting Desna out. Not really. He's not that type. I think for him, you're in for life... however long that life may be.

Oh yeah. I was rather hoping that crazy lady would ACTUALLY kill Roller, because then it would be? He's dead? He's not dead? He's dead again?

Georgia guys are also going to play a role in the season's endgame. Like they're just going to pay Uncle Daddy a piece of what they make once they figure out how to do it themselves?

Also, did we know that Jen was also in recovery? I figured it when she pulled out the cough syrup and the cold remedies. Did she meet Bryce in rehab/a meeting? I'll bet she did.

Though square dancing as a coping mechanism (rather than smoking or too much coffee) is original.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Maybe it was Desna who said something about bodybuilding?  I could have sworn I heard somebody say it as it relates to Dean.

In terms of characters not bringing anything to the table, I'm kinda beginning to feel that way about Polly myself, and it shouldn't be that way for a character like her. She's an ex-con. They can work nicely with that storywise, but instead she seems to exist only to be a supporter, which is fine, but she can and should be more. They'll introduce characters for her to interact with and then they're nowhere to be found come the next episode. Her little neighbor we met this week will probably not be seen anywhere next week. Polly needs a long-term subplot.

• Love 1
(edited)

One thing I learned that I didn't know, is that Jen also has a substance abuse problem, I didn't know that until I saw Desna's reaction to seeing her drink. I thought it was only Bryce who was an addict.  

Yep, that was too easy, something is going to happen to that Desna's dream shop because Uncle Daddy isn't letting her go. His business partners salivating over Desna was gross.

I hope that's it with swam lady, and I wish they would stop type casting the actress who played swamp lady in roles where the woman is pathetic, desperate and undesirable. But she keeps taking those roles so...

Virgina is annoying, but what else is new. She better not get pregnant. The entire time I was thinking pregnancy if not transmittal of an STD. Poor Dean. You want to be closer to Desna, yet you keep fucking her over. She asked you not to mess with her brother in a sexual manner, and that's exactly what you do. Give him a friendly hug for standing up for you in an honorable way, but have some fucking self control and stay away from his package.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I believe it was his trainer, when they were working out on the beach a few episodes back. I thought idea of him going to the art show was a new thing introduced in this episode.

• Love 3

...also meant to add the "Gone With the Wind" theme? The casual racism was barely remarked upon, except by Desna (whose throwaway "birthin' no babies" was a bitter acceptance.) They didn't draw attention to it in any other manner, but it stood there as an ugly relief, if you cared to pay attention.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, mrsbagnet said:

I believe it was his trainer, when they were working out on the beach a few episodes back. I thought idea of him going to the art show was a new thing introduced in this episode.

Thanks, it's comforting to know that I wasn't the only one who heard that. : )

18 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

...also meant to add the "Gone With the Wind" theme? The casual racism was barely remarked upon, except by Desna (whose throwaway "birthin' no babies" was a bitter acceptance.) They didn't draw attention to it in any other manner, but it stood there as an ugly relief, if you cared to pay attention.

I think I had blocked it out of my mind because that whole setup made me very uncomfortable and, frankly, I don't even know why the writers went with that theme for a party.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, kwnyc said:

Thanks for mentioning that.  One of my friends mentioned not too long ago that this is the part of Florida that reminds people that they are, indeed, in the Deep South.

My heart practically sank when Uncle Daddy made it clear that he expected Desna and her crew to be there to serve.  I already knew that shit wasn't going to go well especially when those Georgia "gentlemen" reacted to Desna the way they did.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, MulletorHater said:

Thanks for mentioning that.  One of my friends mentioned not too long ago that this is the part of Florida that reminds people that they are, indeed, in the Deep South.

My heart practically sank when Uncle Daddy made it clear that he expected Desna and her crew to be there to serve.  I already knew that shit wasn't going to go well especially when those Georgia "gentlemen" reacted to Desna the way they did.

Well the show is doing a good job of keeping it real, because I don't know squat about any particular part of Florida, but I'm sure clear on what vibe Uncle Daddy and his ilk have given me from day one. So basically, the theme of his party sounded about right to me. And I already commented in my previous post how grossed out I was at those men and how they were looking at Desna, icky. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, peridot said:

When Dean mentioned he was going to South Beach, I thought it was for a body-building competition, not an audition to be living art.  

4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Dean had been saying he wanted to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger, and drew a picture of Arnold from his body-builder days.  The art show thing is new. 

3 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

You want to be closer to Desna, yet you keep fucking her over. She asked you not to mess with her brother in a sexual manner, and that's exactly what you do

This is what frustrates me the most with Virginia aside from her general belief that she thinks she is much smarter than she really is. Virginia keeps screwing Desna over and doesn't even blink about doing so, instead getting belligerent and behaving as if she's smarter than Desna. I don't find it cute nor entertaining, especially when we see on occasion that Desna has reached out to help Virginia and Virginia either ignores Desna or does the opposite to then throw it in Desna's face as being "better" than Desna. I know Claws tried to lay the groundwork in an earlier ep that Desna sees herself in Virginia but I can't see Desna ever being as self-absorbed and consistently stupid as Virginia.  

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I think I had blocked it out of my mind because that whole setup made me very uncomfortable and, frankly, I don't even know why the writers went with that theme for a party.  

I think that was the show's way of "showing, not telling" Basically, Desna is a slave to Uncle Daddy, she does what he tells her, if he says come now, she does, he decides what business she can be in, he owns her, just like he owns Bryce.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, GaT said:

I think that was the show's way of "showing, not telling" Basically, Desna is a slave to Uncle Daddy, she does what he tells her, if he says come now, she does, he decides what business she can be in, he owns her, just like he owns Bryce.

Yes, I get that but we, the viewers, already know that Desna is a slave to Uncle Daddy and that he has no intention of letting her go.  I just thought that the writers didn't have to be so heavy-handed in getting the point across by having a party with that theme. 

I'm surprised at all the Jenn hate. I totally understand why Jenn is mad at and feels betrayed by Desna. Yeah, she has a nice big house and a lot of "things" due to Bryce getting involved, but it was very clear that no amount of "stuff" is going to make her happy. If a big house and a lot of material things was so important to her, I'm sure she'd have talked Bryce into joining Uncle Daddy a long time ago. She just wants her husband back.

Also, I'm not totally sold on the idea that Bryce was going to work for Uncle Daddy eventually - he made it far enough without joining (well into his 30's I suppose? I'm bad with ages).

• Love 5

From episode one to episode three, I really enjoyed this show and thought it was working on getting some footing. Uncle Daddy was the only major downfall for me. But since then, I'm struggling to like it. They have a group of women for main characters and yet, none of them are very fleshed out. We know the most about Desna and a little about the others from the salon, but then we are treated to Roller and his crazy kidnapper, Uncle Daddy and his wife and lover, a tiny bit about the neurotic doctor, and even Dean is wearing thin for me.

The advertising for this show had my expectations too high, I think. Niecy Nash in Getting On was the first time I saw her act in a drama, and thought she was excellent. Desna is whiny and annoying and I don't think that is what they are going for with the character. She's constantly behind and rushing to catch up, which is what is being used to keep her under the thumb of Uncle Daddy, but it is either rushed or dragged and has very little effective pacing, so she comes across as whiny to me. Desna will always carry the weight on her shoulders because if she started making good money and not needing Uncle Daddy, the story would be over, so I expected that from the get go, and don't know why it's driving me nuts to watch now. Actually, I don't think that is what is bothering me, it's more the whining about her lot in life. Jenn hurt her thumb and Desna had a breakdown about how it affected her and the trade competition. Jenn gets a house from Uncle Daddy and Desna deserved it for her and Dean.

Then some of the storylines themselves have been awful irritating to watch. I know TPTB decided that they liked Jack Kesy, but that entire storyline of him being found by the crazy woman, kept as her prisoner, escaped at the art show only to be kidnapped by the Russians, ugggg, what's next? The crazy kidnapper wasn't even funny to me, if that is what I was supposed to take from it, and seems completely pointless in a way that won't come around to any type of conclusion, or if it does, it won't be worth watching, either.

I think I was supposed to take something from the Gone with the Wind party, but it was only an eyeroll, because Uncle Daddy being a vile person who would enjoy such a thing has been clear since he first appeared on screen. Oh, Dean Norris, how I loved you so. If your character could die in the most gruesome way possible before the end of the season, I promise to not bitch about this show again this year.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Christina said:

From episode one to episode three, I really enjoyed this show and thought it was working on getting some footing. Uncle Daddy was the only major downfall for me. But since then, I'm struggling to like it. They have a group of women for main characters and yet, none of them are very fleshed out. We know the most about Desna and a little about the others from the salon, but then we are treated to Roller and his crazy kidnapper, Uncle Daddy and his wife and lover, a tiny bit about the neurotic doctor, and even Dean is wearing thin for me.

I thought the show was going to be about the nail salon and the women working and running it.  I don't know why they're wasting time on Roller/Uncle Daddy and the Dixie Mafia.  I want to know about Desna and her crew.  Everybody else can take several seats.  

• Love 11
21 hours ago, MulletorHater said:

That loud crash y'all heard was me falling to the floor in a dead faint.  Lord, I hope this doesn't happen.  Dean is a sweet man, and Virginia is simply too stupid to live.  I wouldn't trust her to feed a goldfish, much less take care of a human baby.

Desna's life can be summed up with this theme:  the law of unintended consequences.

My exact thoughts.  Virginia needs to be gone by season's end.

I hope never to see the raping, crazy lady ever again.

All things being Desna, the minute she was celebrating being free from Uncle-Daddy, I knew the walls were going to come crashing down.  Desna is the definition of the "One step forward, two steps back" adage.

I love Desna, but I have to admit that I would like to see a scene (I know it will go on longer than that) where Roller is just goading her.  Yes, Virginia "killed" Roller, but that was only because Desna didn't know factor in Roller's auto-asphyxiation kink and that he enjoys and has conditioned himself to be unconscious for extended periods of time when deciding to choke him to death.

Poor Bryce.  I feel bad for what he has lost of himself in defense of his "dead brother."  How is he going to cope when Roller is revealed to be alive?

1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

I thought the show was going to be about the nail salon and the women working and running it.  I don't know why they're wasting time on Roller/Uncle Daddy and the Dixie Mafia.  I want to know about Desna and her crew.  Everybody else can take several seats.  

From what I understand, CLAWS was initially supposed to be only about the nail salon and the women working there. This was what it was to be when it was thrown at HBO. For reasons known only to HBO, they turned it down. TNT apparently had an interest in it with stipulations. I think TNT's stipulations were clear.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Syndicate said:

From what I understand, CLAWS was initially supposed to be only about the nail salon and the women working there. This was what it was to be when it was thrown at HBO. For reasons known only to HBO, they turned it down. TNT apparently had an interest in it with stipulations. I think TNT's stipulations were clear.

Article from March 2016.

First line:

Written by Eliot Laurence (Welcome to Me), Claws is a dark, wickedly funny meditation on female badness that follows the rise of five diverse and treacherous Florida manicurists in the traditionally male world of organized crime. 

• Love 1
On 7/24/2017 at 8:48 AM, Ohwell said:

I'm sorry but Quiet Ann brings nothing to the table as far as I'm concerned.  It's ok to have few lines to say as long as you can emote, but she fails at even that.

Totally disagree with that one, Reyes can say more with a glare than most actresses with five pages of dialogue.

23 hours ago, kwnyc said:

The casual racism was barely remarked upon, except by Desna (whose throwaway "birthin' no babies" was a bitter acceptance.)

And Quiet Ann's (to a man dressed as a confederate soldier)  "You lost."

• Love 11
(edited)

Roller cleans up nice. I like the hipster look on him better than the Riff Raff thing he was doing on his own.

It doesn't seem to me that Dean's capable of giving true consent so theoretically Virginia might be setting herself up for prosecution if Desna wanted to be vindictive about it. She'd be dumb to do it though since Virginia has plenty of dirt on her.

Virginia could be pregnant now but I don't see her having a baby. She wouldn't want to risk messing up her tight little body since it's her stock in trade. Plus, it's possible she's already knocked up by Roller. A Husser baby might be a more valuable proposition for her though it's questionable whether Uncle Daddy would be happy about a part-Asian heir.

Dr. Ken looked gallant in his costume.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Totally disagree with that one, Reyes can say more with a glare than most actresses with five pages of dialogue.

Fine.  Mileage varies.

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Roller cleans up nice. I like the hipster look on him better than the Riff Raff thing he was doing on his own.

Yes. The fedora worked too. 

5 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Virginia could be pregnant now but I don't see her having a baby. She wouldn't want to risk messing up her tight little body since it's her stock in trade. Plus, it's possible she's already knocked up by Roller

I am throwing holy water in the direction of this. I don't want that evil out there. Nope nope nope. Virginia doesn't need a child. She is a child... and a dumb one at that. I either want the character to grow in some manner cause her running in place is tedious or find her way off the show at the end of S1. 

Edited by Chick2Chic
grammar
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

I either want the character to grow in some manner cause her running in place is tedious or find her way off the show at the end of S1. 

I would like a way for her to take the fall for what happened to Roller and either leave or be killed off (no offense to the actress), and Roller to forgive and get back together with Desna. Because I kind of think Desna and Roller are hot as a couple, haha. Plus Dean loves him.

I know that's not likely to happen, but I want Virginia gone and for Desna to be safe from any Uncle Daddy retribution.

• Love 3
On 7/24/2017 at 0:45 AM, jhlipton said:

Speaking of Quiet Ann -- that scene with Officer Hottie...  Where were you born? Any brothers or sisters?  Damn, you really are Quiet Ann!

This is the actresses first role and I like that they're letting her ease into the character and starting to give her at least a little depth.  She may be selfish but when Dean tells her she doesn't need to look for a boyfriend because he is her boyfriend, she just mouths "Shit" and lets Dean believe he is her boyfriend (and holds his hand like a girlfriend at the exhibit).

This is not her first acting role.

15 hours ago, ThisOne said:

I would like a way for her to take the fall for what happened to Roller and either leave or be killed off (no offense to the actress), and Roller to forgive and get back together with Desna. Because I kind of think Desna and Roller are hot as a couple, haha. Plus Dean loves him.

I know that's not likely to happen, but I want Virginia gone and for Desna to be safe from any Uncle Daddy retribution.

I support this but then I've believed from the pilot that those two actors' chemistry complement each other and I wanted to see more of the dynamic of those two characters, even as tangled as it is.  Plus the added bonus of Virginia gone I will take if the show continues to keep her character void of any growth. I so want Desna to snatch Virginia bald when she finds out Virginia had sex with Dean and then tried to "break up" with him.

• Love 4