Type keyword(s) to search

Girls' Trip (2017)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

This is the thread for Girls' Trip, the comedy about four girlfriends who go on a trip to the annual Essence Festival in New Orleans that somehow goes horribly wrong.

The movie stars Queen Latifah, Jada Pinkett Smith, Regina Hall & Tiffany Haddish.

On 7/18/2017 at 10:44 AM, announcergirl said:

Well I'm going cause I wish I could go on a fun horny woman girls trip. Living life through the movies!

16 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'll see it Friday and let you guys know what I think.  I don't see how it's possible I won't have some fun, though!!

I'll be there because I love Regina Hall, and the actress/comedian Tiffany Haddish has had an incredible life journey. If anyone is interested, here is her interview on The Champs podcast. 

I hope it's funny. Any movie about people of color just living life always piques my interest. I'll still watch quality films about slavery or the Civil Rights movement, but please don't make me sit through another movie about a woman who gets HIV and an AIDS limp all because she wanted to open her own business.

But why don't I have a group of girls to hang with for a girls' trip movie? Would it be pathetic if I saw it alone (during the day, in a small suburban theater?)

• Love 6

I watch movies alone.  I'm the opposite, every time a woman's movie like this comes up, I have people to go with.  It's my OTHER favourite kinds of movies that I want to see that I have trouble getting accompaniment.  I went to see The House with Will Ferrell alone and I had a blast.

• Love 1
(edited)

Saw this tonight, and LOVED it. Jada Pinkett-Smith, Queen Latifah and Regina Hall were all great, but Tiffany Hadish really stood out (I loved her in Keanu, so I'm not surprised that I also loved her here). I thought the 4 women really sold the bond between their characters. I cannot remember the last time I laughed that much in a theater. Also loved all the celebrity cameos at Essence Fest.

Finally, this movie brought the man candy (hey Larenz Tate, Kofi Siriboe and Mike Colter!) This movie was just good old-fashioned fun.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 13
(edited)

The movie is getting crazy good reviews, and making a lot of money.  So that's good.

I wish that there was MORE man candy, to be honest.  Very little male sexuality and no POSITIVE male nudity that the poster seems to hint at.  That disappointed me.

Much like Bridesmaids there was one really gross part that disappointed me.  The rest, was fine.

It was like 10 movies in one.  A LOT happened and it was overwhelming, not in a bad way.

I had a great time, like I thought I would.  The movie "Rough Night" makes Girls Trip look like The Godfather.

Regina Hall is so amazingly stunning.  Everyone is already going nuts over Haddish who I couldn't help but notice seems or is 15 years younger than her counterparts in the film even though they were all supposed to have gone to college together.  Jada has had serious work done but all the other women look GORGEOUS- Latifah looks as great as always.  Not much different than she did in the 90s.  

I'm CRAZY about the wardrobe they put Tiffany Hadish in.  It is to die for.  All wild colourful prints and bodycon.  I also really loved the dance sequences and the soundtrack.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

Saw this last night with my best friends of over 20 years, and absolutely loved it!!!! Tiffany Haddish was awesome, everyone needs a friend like her! All of the ladies did great and it definitely makes me want to back to New Orleans. Larenz Tate is still fine and Kofi Siriboe is everything!!!!! That's one sexy chocolate man with bright white teeth and a perfect body!!!!! I just love looking at him!!!! The absinthe scene was hilarious, but we honestly were laughing most of the movie. Definitely a must see, I can't wait to see it again!

• Love 3
(edited)

Loved it! I thought Dina was going to about the hell out of me but she didn't. She had the best lines.  Now whenever I see someone in an ugly outfit, I know what to say. I laughed throughout the whole thing. Even teared up at the end. With as predictable as the movie is, it was well done. It's nice to see black women on screen having fun, making it thru life and that life isn't so damn hard. It's "normal".

They all did a great job and looked good. Regina and Larenz do not age. Really. 

There better  be a sequel because movies not even half as good get sequels nobody asks for. 

Edited by nicepebbles
Mispelled name
  • Love 7

When I saw the trailer, I knew I had to see this movie in the first weekend.  This was so much fun.  I am such a fan of Regina Hall and Queen, Jada and Larenz took me back to the great work of the '90s.  I have seen Tiffany Haddish in a couple of TV series so I am glad she is getting all of this love and attention from this movie.

As for the movie, it was definitely laugh out loud funny in my theater.  I was so invested in the story from their weekend together to why they hadn't seen each other in years and why Sasha was struggling.  The dance-off and fight in the club were so awesome.  Kofi Siribae was every bit of the tasty young chocolate that he is supposed to be.  

Also, seeing all of the cameos from last year's Essence Fest was fun as well.  I always say that I want to attend one year and this 2 hour commercial has me strongly considering it.

Lastly, I have never requested a sequel but when this movie ended, I immediately wanted more.  This definitely needs to have a sequel or two. 

• Love 4

This was so much fun! That scene in the club with the dance battle had me rolling from start to finish. From the "Set It Off" nod to the dance battle (which, if I'd been watching it on DVD, I'd have rewound like 75 times) to Jada clocking the mistress first, I fell out.

Tiffany Haddish's clip on Jimmy Kimmel had become my go-to clip to watch when I'm having a bad day, and she didn't disappoint here. I loved the dress she wore on the plane. 

My theater was full of women from their teens to their 70s, and we all laughed through the whole thing (except the speech at end, where I MAY have wiped away a tear or two). It was just so much fun to watch.

• Love 4

Holy shit! Went to this movie with the bar set low (Bad Moms, Rough Night were not funny) -- and I laughed my ass off. The entire theater was howling. We are taking another friend with us and seeing it again on Friday.

Tiffany Haddish stole the show. Golden Globe nomination, I bet. 

• Love 3

Saw this twice already. Haven't had that much FUN at the movies in a long time. Laugh out loud funny....some people in the theater truly could not stop LOL. The commercials before this came out definitely didn't do it justice. I'm glad I went to see it because just seeing the commercials before, I wasn't too interested.

• Love 2

I was in a bad mood when I went to see it by myself and was thinking I probably wouldn't find it as hilarious as everybody said it would be. I did, and I laughed out loud several times.

I also loved the absurdity of some of it, like the absinthe and the dance off. So often in our movies the directors can't tell the difference between hilarious absurdity and buffoonery but they nailed it.

I'm going again this weekend.

• Love 1

I liked it too but I really wish I would have seen it with more people.  Comedies work better that way. Shared laughter and all that jazz. Plus, I took my mom because it was "girl power" but she doesn't like raunchy movies.  So I ended up uncomfortable.

I was really surprised that the part I laughed loudest at was the scene I dreaded the most--the zip line scene. 

Edited by Irlandesa

I've seen this movie twice, too. I think I was increasingly bored during some of the serious moments - I love Regina Hall, but her character's more earnest scenes with Stewart almost put me to sleep the second time around - but the funny bits made me laugh just as hard. Tiffany Haddish is a treasure. "I'm just going over to say hello... hold my earrings..." 

• Love 1

Larenz Tate is STILL fine...with his tiny self lol

This reminded me how SHORT the man is.  Still can get it though!

I had a fun time with this movie.  Jada doesn't scream bawdy comedy but she did her thing.  I'm convinced Tiffany just improved some her rants because I sat there slack jawed at the things coming out of her mouth while taking notes of her dresses!

That all said, I can't look at grapefruit ever again.

• Love 1

‘Girls Trip’ Crosses $100 Million at Domestic Box Office

Universal Pictures’ “Girls Trip” has crossed the $100 million mark at the domestic box office after four weeks, to become the studio’s sixth film to reach that milestone this year.

“Girls Trip” has also taken in $9.9 million internationally as it starts its foreign rollout. Australia and Romania will release the film on Aug. 31, with additional markets launching the film through the end of the year.

Edited by Dee

Finally saw it last night (it was a choice between this and Atomic Blonde), oh jeez, this movie was hysterical. And Jada looks incredible (I mean they all looked amazing, but damn). I kept trying to figure out who played Julian, because he looked so familiar and Larenz Tate looks seriously good. Coincidentally, I watched Menace II Society last weekend, Him and Jada do not loo 24 years older! Wow! 

I covet that black jumpsuit Ryan had on. And the orange dress Lisa had. 

I'm happy that it's done so well at the box office.  I (finally) saw it today and it just went down so easy and was a nice bit of summer fun.  Predictable, yes, but no less enjoyable.  And the eye candy did not disappoint.  I agree that the bar scene/dance off/fight scene was a highlight and I loved the little Set It Off nod.  I'll also cosign the Tiffany Haddish love.  Too funny but also really sweet.  I loved Dina crossing pictures of a pug and Stewart to see what his baby with his mistress would look like.  There was this one little bit when she was angrily walking from Sasha(?) at the hotel and she rolled over her heel twice.  Just out of curiosity I wonder it that was scripted or a happy accident.  

On August 11, 2017 at 4:10 PM, galax-arena said:

"I'm just going over to say hello... hold my earrings..."

Ha!  That moment made me laugh harder than it should have.

Edited by kiddo82

I finally went to go see this with some girlfriends -- we all wanted to see it together and our crazy schedules!!--  but we LOVED it.  and I am not surprised this is doing well, I mean this is wheat the fifth week? and our theatre was pretty full.  And it was across color lines and everyone was laughing out loud.

And yeah, Tiffany Haddish really was the star of this.  Not surprising, I read an interview with the four of them in Essence magazine before the movie was released and even in that print interview she stood out.  I love that she really committed to her role as the crazy friend but didn't go over the top to caricature. 

Some other observations:

- Tiffany's clothes were great

-Queen Latifah's hair was great, I couldn't wait to see what style she's have it in next

- Honestly, I thought Jada was the weakest link in the ensemble.  Her performance kind of made me think of Tiffany Haddish's Groupon Swamp Tour story.  She seems so above it all.

- Loved the sight gag of Dena riding on the lap of the guy who was their bike taxi.  It was funny because both her and his expression was telling how much they were both enjoying it.  And then his smile at her when she got off his lap.  LOL,

- The little cheeky nod to Set It Off, the movie that Queen Latifah and Jada were in together about 20 years ago.  BTW, LOVED that movie.

- All the cameos of the performers at Essence Fest and the idea to set it at Essence fest in the first place.

- Larenz Tate, man he looks like he is aging backward!

• Love 3

I went to see this on a whim with a friend. Hilarious! I cannot get over how funny this was. I have an odd sense of humor so I didn't think that I would be into it but I was laughing like a lunatic throughout. It was a late show, the movie theater was maybe 1/6 full. I t was loud and raucous with people chiming in and commenting throughout. I usually don't like that, but it set the atmosphere and it was fun.

Dina was hysterical. I loved her brand of crazy. Her refusal to accept she was fired and when the guy sold her absinthe and after he told her it should last 5 years, then she said, you said 5 months, oh 5 days. I was rolling. I will never forget the grapefruit. Bwah! I had never heard of Tiffany Haddish or seen her in anything before. She is fantastic. I hope this is her break out role. She is a comedic star, comet...

There were lots of fun moments like the dance off, the fight, and then drunk on absinthe. On a serious note, I had half a shot glass of absinthe once and it took me down. I could barely walk so kudos to the Flossy Posse for being able to go out partying.

The men were gorgeous. Good to see that Mike Colter doing something other than Luke Cage. It has been years since I have seen Lorenzo Tate. Glad that he is still working.

I loved all the acts at the Essence Fest (except P Diddy). They brought back memories of my college years, especially New Edition. 

Jada Pinkett Smith's cosmetic surgery is just too much. I hate the pressure that Hollywood puts on women.

• Love 1

I just got around to seeing this, and I thought the best parts were in the previews.  The movie dragged on too long. 

I did not like Dina, didn't think she was funny at all. 

The best parts were seeing the acts on stage, and Larenz Tate.    

I finally got to see this and it's a genuinely funny movie. I liked it. My hubby liked it too.

Although I felt like it derived some notable scenes from Jada's other recent mostly-girls movie, Bad Moms. The two notable scenes to me are when Jada was going through guys trying to talk to them and she just ended up icking them out with all of the mom and children stuff, very similar to Mila Kunis' first night at the bar where she was trying to pick up a man and they all just ended up walking away from her.

The second one, and probably the most famous one, for both movies, was when Tiffany Haddish simulated a blow job with a grapefruit. Similar to Kathryn Hahn's play on an uncircumcised penis using Kristen Bell and her sweater. But Kathryn's (and Kristen's, since she was essentially the prop) take was way funnier. 

I didn’t know there was a thread for this. I’m so  late to the party. I saw this movie with my friends, way back on opening weekend. 

The funniest scene for me was when the ladies got in an argument with each other back at the hotel. All the actresses’ respective regional accents came out. Tiffany’s L.A, Latifah’s Jersey, Regina’s DC, and Jada’s Bmore accents were strong as hell in that scene.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, charmed1 said:

I didn’t know there was a thread for this. I’m so  late to the party. I saw this movie with my friends, way back on opening weekend. 

The funniest scene for me was when the ladies got in an argument with each other back at the hotel. All the actresses’ respective regional accents came out. Tiffany’s L.A, Latifah’s Jersey, Regina’s DC, and Jada’s Bmore accents were strong as hell in that scene.

I never noticed that. Will have to rewatch and listen for their accents in that scene. Thanks. 

• Love 1

I read all the good reviews and am not surprised that I enjoyed it.  Regina Hall is so damn gorgeous.

I was absolutely ROLLING when they were tripping at the club and Queen Latifah brought her boyfriend, the lamp, over to meet everyone at the table.

I could have done with less Kate Walsh.  None would have been a-ok.

• Love 3