Type keyword(s) to search

Flip Or Flop Atlanta - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was okay with the stepping stones, but there should have been more of them. As they were installed, you'd have to walk single file to get to the porch.

I honestly didn't even notice that until it was pointed out here but yeah . . . they spent 4 grand on a new driveway, so how much more would it have cost to pour a little more concrete and make a sidewalk leading to the front door? The stepping stones were way too impractical. 

• Love 5
On 11/14/2018 at 2:57 PM, iMonrey said:

I honestly didn't even notice that until it was pointed out here but yeah . . . they spent 4 grand on a new driveway, so how much more would it have cost to pour a little more concrete and make a sidewalk leading to the front door? The stepping stones were way too impractical. 

I love when I think I only notice this stuff but don’t want to mention it. LOL!!! Yeah, you spend all that money on a new driveway but then add dollhouse stepping stones. It wasn’t very practical and pretty cheap looking. I guess she (they) thought it was cute or a way to save money but a new sidewalk wouldn’t have cost that much, right? 

• Love 2

In the last episode they flip-flopped the location of the kitchen and dining room because of a load bearing wall and didn't show the dining room in the reveal. What they did show looked good, but the living room was tiny next to the ginormous kitchen. I hate it that the reveal in these shows is so rushed.

• Love 3

What they did show looked good, but the living room was tiny next to the ginormous kitchen.

And that seems to be pretty typical. The prevailing rule in real estate seems to be "kitchens sell houses," but that's only because the consumer has been carefully trained to think that by watching all of these shows! Even young, first-time buyers are convinced they need all the trappings of open concept, hardwood floors and stainless steel appliances. 

It's nice to have a big, roomy kitchen if you have a big enough house but if you have a small house and the kitchen is the biggest room, are you going to live in the kitchen?

• Love 2

When I lived in Colorado, a lot of the new builds had tiny living rooms, just off the front door, then you went back through the open hall to the huge kitchen, with a breakfast nook usually, then a big formal dining room, and a huge great room or family room, open from the kitchen.   I guess the living room was just a tiny one for the adults, and the back open concept kitchen/great room, dining, was for normal use.     They usually also had a second floor with all of the bedrooms, with a huge loft/office space, next to the huge master, usually with a sitting room, and huge master bath.   However, the secondary bedrooms were small, and only big enough for a small desk, maybe a small chest, and a bunk bed with the wider bottom bunk.    Many people I knew with the small kids room put the dresser in the closet.     

I can see having the family/great room open with the kitchen and main dining, but I don't like the split between the living room, and a great/family room, because I don't know anyone that uses the separate formal living rooms.     What I really hate on older houses is when they have a big formal living room, and the family room right behind it with a wall in between.     So many times the living rooms are a big cave, and so dark.     

On 11/19/2018 at 8:36 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

When I lived in Colorado, a lot of the new builds had tiny living rooms, just off the front door, then you went back through the open hall to the huge kitchen, with a breakfast nook usually, then a big formal dining room, and a huge great room or family room, open from the kitchen.   I guess the living room was just a tiny one for the adults, and the back open concept kitchen/great room, dining, was for normal use.   

In the Midwest we call that room the "Front Room" or the "Frunchroom" (http://www.upout.com/blog/chicago-2/18-words-phrases-youll-only-understand-if-youre-from-chicago).  The room usually doesn't have a TV and has the "fancy" furniture in it. It's kind of like the fancy area of the house for the "company." LOL

Most houses then have a "family room" that has the TV and the comfy couch. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Glory said:

In the Midwest we call that room the "Front Room" or the "Frunchroom" (http://www.upout.com/blog/chicago-2/18-words-phrases-youll-only-understand-if-youre-from-chicago).  The room usually doesn't have a TV and has the "fancy" furniture in it. It's kind of like the fancy area of the house for the "company." LOL

Most houses then have a "family room" that has the TV and the comfy couch. 

I've also heard it called a "formal living room". My parents have one in Colorado and just like you say, it has the more 'fancy' furniture. Basically the stuff that isn't comfortable and is meant to just be a place to sit and chat. Never gets used. ha

• Love 1

I really liked both houses tonight. I'm usually not one for painting brick but in this case, it made the  house stand out from all the rest. One thing I will say is that I am glad we don't have "smell-o-vision". Just looking at those walls, you know the mold smelled so I can imagine what the carpeting smelled like. Even though I couldn't smell the odor, I could imagine it, so I crinkled my nose up in disgust right along with Ken and Anita. Bet the neighbors were glad to see that particular house rehabbed!!!!! I really like this couple, they seem so real and comfortable with each other unlike certain other couples I will not name!

• Love 3

I wish they had specified why that first home was designated historic. Was it simply because of the area it was in? Or because it was old?

The second house had to be the most disgusting one I've ever seen on this show or any other iteration of ForF. That back bathroom - OMG. And honestly, I didn't really care for the converted master bedroom. I thought it looked kind of odd the way it was laid out. It was weirdly long and narrow. 

44 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I wish they had specified why that first home was designated historic. Was it simply because of the area it was in?

I wondered about that also since they said it was built in the '30s but I did find this about the area.

The city center is part of the College Park Historic District, a 606 acre historic district listed with the National Register of Historic Places.[8] According to the federal agency, the district contains 853 recognized historical resources constructed in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

The majority of the 852 historic structures are homes of the Queen Anne style, various Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals, and bungalows of the American Craftsman style, all dating from 1882 to 1946. Other major historical structures include:[8] The College Park Woman's Clubhouse at Camellia Hall (1927); the College Park First United Methodist Church (1904); a United States Postal Service Office (1937); four schools (constructed between 1914 and 1942); and the College Park Depot (pre-1900), part of the Atlanta & West Point Railroad.

• Love 1

My wife and I both didn't like the grey windows and trim on the brick house. It looked better when it was white. Just needed to be freshened up. Also surprised how much they were allowed to do considering the historic designation. Guess that town only cares about the exterior which is better from a flipper's standpoint. 

Ditto to the bowling alley shaped master. That was odd and even more oddly staged.

They made some good profits on these. I wish they would say how long each took. We do get an update of like "Day 40" but it is always in the middle of the work and then nothing after that.

So once all of the Atlanta episodes are aired is next up Vegas flippers?

• Love 2
13 hours ago, lynxfx said:

If it is, I will watch anything but that! I did see an advertisement for the Chicago flipper that we saw a way back. I think it said it was starting in January. Personally, I am waiting for Season 3 of Home Town. I love that show and since I have gotten a chance to see Laurel, I love that town!

Edited to add: (Windy City flipper? Starts on January 1st. Saw the promo again last night during the Lottery show with David, the tattooed one!)

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, lynxfx said:

Nashville is up next. I liked them so I'm okay with that.

Sadly, Vegas has already been renewed for another season and Atlanta has not. The Fort Worth one didn't even get a second season I hope Atlanta gets another because I'm not fond of the Vegas guys at all and I like Ken and Anita best of the flippers.

• Love 6
On 11/30/2018 at 4:17 PM, lynxfx said:

My wife and I both didn't like the grey windows and trim on the brick house. It looked better when it was white. Just needed to be freshened up. Also surprised how much they were allowed to do considering the historic designation. Guess that town only cares about the exterior which is better from a flipper's standpoint. 

Ditto to the bowling alley shaped master. That was odd and even more oddly staged.

They made some good profits on these. I wish they would say how long each took. We do get an update of like "Day 40" but it is always in the middle of the work and then nothing after that.

I thought so too. The gray was dull whereas the white made the brick more interesting.

• Love 1

Sadly, Vegas has already been renewed for another season and Atlanta has not. 

Ugh. I hate that HGTV is looking for "showy" hosts like Tarek and Christina or Bristol and Aubrey. They're just so phony. I much prefer Ken and Anita, but alas I guess they're not Hollywood enough for HGTV.

Although I must say . . . a little bit of their charm wore off with this last reveal that they've got this new office building, and a full shot of their yard that showed that immense swimming pool. They must really be rolling in it. I liked the idea that they were working out of their little home office while the dog looked on. Seeing them in some conference room with a ginormous flat screen to look at real estate put me off, somehow.

• Love 1

I like the Vegas couple only because their flips are pure entertainment. You never know what crazy "Vegas glam" design Aubrey is going to do. Will we see more master bedrooms with the ceiling covered in mirrors? How about more pink kitchens? Think of it as the "what not to do" flipping shows.

If the profits of each flip this season are to be trusted, then Ken and Anita are surely rolling in it. More than any other flipping couple HGTV airs. They consistently show $70k-100k+ per flip while others tend to be around $30-60k. I just wonder how many flips they have going at a time, or how many they do a year.

• Love 1

Just watched the first one from yesterday. When they were talking about going from $350k to $450k listing price, the look that Ken gave Anita looked like he was about to swipe the counter clean and go to town with her right on that island. lol 

I liked what they did on the inside but the outside view was off. With that porch and the siding, the house looked exactly like a trailer home. Maybe some fake shutters on the windows would have helped?

• Love 1

Just saw the first episode and the house looked great. It was very Joanna Gaines-esq. They did a great inside & out. Although, I would have made the front porch bigger. At least, past each of the first set of windows. 

• Love 1

When they do the walkthrough, are the estimates they’re quoting for reno, inclusive of labor costs or just materials?  I didn’t know you could put in new flooring for an entire house for 5K, or that a gut job in a new kitchen was only 15K (complete with rewiring, plumbing, custom cabinets, vaulted ceilings, new island, countertops, expensive fixtures and fancy tile backsplash).  He quoted 10K to completely re-do 2 bathrooms.  

I’m guessing they have an ongoing crew of workers.  So are the labor expenses taken out after the “profit?”  I just can’t figure it all out.  If it only costs 5K to completely gut and re-do a bathroom, then I know what to ask for this Christmas!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, LoveIsJoy said:

I’m guessing they have an ongoing crew of workers.  So are the labor expenses taken out after the “profit?”  I just can’t figure it all out.  If it only costs 5K to completely gut and re-do a bathroom, then I know what to ask for this Christmas!

yeah I've redone several rooms in my house and I give a side eye to those quotes. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

yeah I've redone several rooms in my house and I give a side eye to those quotes. 

Me too. The replacement counter tops and flooring in our kitchen cost almost as much as they (and other flippers) estimate for an entire kitchen remodel, including appliances. My master bath is currently undergoing a remodel and the final tally of expenses will be close to $20K and, while my choices were well above builder-grade, I didn't opt for the highest end materials.

• Love 4

When they do the walkthrough, are the estimates they’re quoting for reno, inclusive of labor costs or just materials?  I didn’t know you could put in new flooring for an entire house for 5K, or that a gut job in a new kitchen was only 15K (complete with rewiring, plumbing, custom cabinets, vaulted ceilings, new island, countertops, expensive fixtures and fancy tile backsplash).  He quoted 10K to completely re-do 2 bathrooms. 

They must be quoting materials only. It's very misleading, and I suspect deliberately so. The network wants everyone to run out to Home Depot and start planning their remodels. Anyone who does think these quotes are accurate are in for a nasty case of sticker shock when they finally get an estimate from a contractor. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

They must be quoting materials only. It's very misleading, and I suspect deliberately so. The network wants everyone to run out to Home Depot and start planning their remodels. Anyone who does think these quotes are accurate are in for a nasty case of sticker shock when they finally get an estimate from a contractor. 

And, even if they're just quoting materials and ignoring labor costs, we also know that they buy a lot of their stuff in bulk to get a better price and store it in warehouses.  Tarek and Christina have talked about that.  So, even the material costs they quote are discounted.  When they give the final total in the end  tallying up their profit, it is also misleading because there are no labor costs figured into the cost. Even if the homeowner is incredibly handy and does all the work themselves, there is a price that needs to be figured to account for the time spent renovating that could've been spent elsewhere.

• Love 4

Contractors get discounted prices at places like Home Depot. A homeowner can't get the prices they do. The first time we had a screen porch added our contractor told us to go to Home Depot and see what ceiling fan we wanted, and he would buy it because he could get it cheaper.

• Love 4

I liked what they did on the inside but the outside view was off. With that porch and the siding, the house looked exactly like a trailer home. Maybe some fake shutters on the windows would have helped?

I thought the place looked like a trailer home, too.

The two seating areas in the living room looked dumb to me. It looked like exactly what it was, rooms missing walls that now just stand out like sore thumbs. Reminded me of a furniture store. 

• Love 3

I just watched an episode (don't know if it's the newest) where they redid a very small brick house (they wanted to go up but couldn't). It looked really cute, but I noticed the buyers walking up to the (adorable) front porch across the grass. Really? No sidewalk? I don't think I have ever in my life seen a house without a sidewalk to the front door, whether from the street or the driveway.

• Love 1
On 12/7/2018 at 7:56 PM, lynxfx said:

Just watched the first one from yesterday. When they were talking about going from $350k to $450k listing price, the look that Ken gave Anita looked like he was about to swipe the counter clean and go to town with her right on that island. lol 

My issue with that was that 2 minutes earlier they were freaking out about $5k for the septic tank, which made them shrink the front porch to basically a "front step" to save money (leaving NO "outdoor room" like they originally talked about). Then they upped the price by $100k????? Do they expect us to believe they do the comps AFTER they're done???

• Love 4
On 11/30/2018 at 11:53 AM, iMonrey said:

And honestly, I didn't really care for the converted master bedroom. I thought it looked kind of odd the way it was laid out. It was weirdly long and narrow. 

yeah-- it was like you almost had to walk sideways to get past the end of the bed. The navy backsplash *did* look nice, but it is not *my* neutral so wouldn't work with my design tendencies.

On 12/1/2018 at 8:47 AM, Percysowner said:

Nashville is up next. I liked them so I'm okay with that.

Sadly, Vegas has already been renewed for another season and Atlanta has not. The Fort Worth one didn't even get a second season I hope Atlanta gets another because I'm not fond of the Vegas guys at all and I like Ken and Anita best of the flippers.

I cannot abide Scott and Amy Yancy. And their shows have become so formulaic. Scott sets an unrealistic budget and timeline. Amy says screw your budget, I'll do it my way. They fight. Amy is right, and they get full ask. Yawn.

On 12/9/2018 at 6:13 PM, mojito said:

I thought the place looked like a trailer home, too.

The two seating areas in the living room looked dumb to me. It looked like exactly what it was, rooms missing walls that now just stand out like sore thumbs. Reminded me of a furniture store. 

I just got around to watching this episode and you nailed it - it really does look like a furniture store,

I sometimes wonder if the new owners of all these flips aren't a little disappointed when they take possession of the home after it's stripped of the staging and decorations and they realize it's just one big empty room.

• Love 4

I watched a few episodes this morning. They do a nice job, but I couldn't live with the kitchens. Not enough cabinetry! I wouldn't have enough room for my stuff. I have a U shaped kitchen with uppers and lowers plus a pantry. And they are full of stuff I use.

29 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I watched a few episodes this morning. They do a nice job, but I couldn't live with the kitchens. Not enough cabinetry! I wouldn't have enough room for my stuff. I have a U shaped kitchen with uppers and lowers plus a pantry. And they are full of stuff I use.

I have seen more of these shows go with floating shelves mixed in with the cabinets in the kitchen which removes 2-4 cabinets worth of space. I could see that working if you already have a huge kitchen and are more upscale with some nice items you want to showcase but for a flip property it probably isn't that functional. Kind of the same with see through cabinets, which look nice as long as you keep everything inside nice and organized.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, carolibra said:

Well, crap. This was by far my favorite of the Flip or Flop series.

Me, too! I also like the Nashville edition ...hope at least that one is safe. Cannot understand how the ratings for Atlanta were that bad...they are a fun couple and easy to watch unlike the couple from Vegas which I refuse to watch!

• Love 3

I really enjoyed the variety of their flips, and how they worked all over the Atlanta area.   

I recall Anita saying that the requirement that they film a certain number of flips for the show was a big problem for them.     I know they do multiple flips at a time, but they probably don't have them on the exact schedule a TV production requires.    I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't go forward for that reason.   And I'm sure endless scenes they filmed delayed everything on the flips, and took up their very valuable time.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

Any body else notice the scarcity of cupboards in their kitchens? Looks like a few open shelves, a couple of overhead cabinets that might hold one set of dishes and a few glasses, and the dry goods would all have to be stored In lower cabinets so you would be doing a lot of bending over and crawling around. No one who really cooks would go through those houses and not comment on that problem.  The only exception I have seen was in the duplex made into a single family residence, and there the dining space seemed minimum and the living room weird.

But one thing I like about their show is that they are realistic about making structural changes.  So many of the others think nothing of installing 15 foot steel beams, etc., in order to eliminate walls. And I am not wild about having my kitchen mess visible to the world when guests enter the house...but then I really cook...and I often miss my old house where the kitchen was not totally visible from the dining area.

• Love 1

Is anyone watching their new show, Flipping Showdown? I didn’t see a thread for it so I dug up this one.

I’m intrigued by the structure of the show: three teams and three rounds of flipping different types of homes. Based on the first episode, I find all three teams at least tolerable. (Actually, I quite like two teams; the third might start grating on me.)

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, netlyon2 said:

Is anyone watching their new show, Flipping Showdown? I didn’t see a thread for it so I dug up this one.

I’m intrigued by the structure of the show: three teams and three rounds of flipping different types of homes. Based on the first episode, I find all three teams at least tolerable. (Actually, I quite like two teams; the third might start grating on me.)

I watched the first episode and liked it. I've always liked Ken and Anita because they seem down-to-earth. The team with the two guys need to stop putzing around and make quicker decisions.

• Love 3

I thought this episode 5 was the finale, but there's one listed for next week.  My cable guide doesn't call it New or anything else, but it's episode 6 and the real season finale.         I liked the idea of the winners getting a Red Barn franchise.    However, I only like the two brothers.    Apparently, this Wednesday is the final episode and they'll declare a  winner, who gets a Red Barn franchise of their own.    

The other two couples really don't strike me as experienced flippers.    The Nashville and Ohio (Cincinnati?) couples seem like they do cosmetic flips, and the brothers seem better at doing the big restoration work.    I also was stunned at how far over budget some of the flippers went.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

They actually had the sixth and final episode of the Flipping Showdown, or whatever it's called.    I hated who they picked as the winner.   A big factor was that the homes were judged by improvement in appraised value over the purchase price, and rehab work.   One house was appraised way under value, and that knocked my favorites out.     

So, a couple I didn't like, and disliked their flips won.      If this gets turned into a limited series, I'm not watching it.     The winner gets a franchise, but I don't know if it's in Atlanta, or my guess, in  their home city.   I don't think Atlanta flips will translate to where the winners are from.   

Also, if there's a season two I'm out.     The houses were too unequal to be fair, and some needed so much more structural work than others.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2