Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: The Dubrovnik Wedgie

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, ShawnaLanne said:

Bugs is an ugly person because she isn't trying to rise on her own merits, but has,  since she first came on board,  tried to rise through trying to knock Hannah down. She's fugly inside. 

As far as the device goes, there are surely cybersecurity rules,  what she did, scrolling through and sharing his personal accounts was a breach of security and. unethical at best.  In many places I've worked it would have been an offense that got her immediately fired. She should have been. She us a crap shipmate and a crap human. I would not trust her if I were a guest,  after seeing this. 

In my opinion. 

This (bolded part) is exactly what I dislike about "Bugs". And why would someone with teeth like Bugs Bunny, go by the nickname Bugsy? 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I'll agree that Hannah has a smoking body, but she's far from self-confident.  She's very insecure and just postures as a bad ass to cover her insecurities.  This can be seen in various ways across her two seasons.  There's the way she manages -- often throwing her number of stripes around ("whoa, I've got 2 stripes, buddy") and forming gossipy cliques with her subordinates to ostracize her other subordinate  instad of just dealign with issues head-on (been done both seasons and often flip flops depending on who has upset her last).  She just doesn't have the self-confidence needed to be a good leader.  There's also the pathetic way she's thrown herself at multiple coworkers and in at least one instance got all butt hurt when he preferred someone else or just lashed out at them unprofessionally when they rejected her advances.  There's other examples, but I'm busy today and shouldn't even be on here.

I agree. Hannah is deeply insecure and it is obvious to everyone around her. She threw herself at Ben and he opted for Tiffany. Even odious Bryan went for Tiffany. Tiffany is OK looking, but she self-assured and confident. On basic attractiveness, I thought that Tiffany was dead last among the season 1 women.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

This (bolded part) is exactly what I dislike about "Bugs". And why would someone with teeth like Bugs Bunny, go by the nickname Bugsy? 

That is the question. It would be nice if she were poking fun at herself, but she doesn't appear to have a sense of humor. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, MrSmith said:

@LucyHoneychrrch That's a very good explanation as to why all the men on the boat want Malia. Thanks!

It could be that she's letting her dye job go because she doesn't have the stuff she needs to take proper care or may not have the time and space to take proper care of it. Bleached hair requires special conditioning and cannot be exposed to high heat, such as from hair dryers. Otherwise, it gets brittle and will eventually fall out if you continue to bleach it and don't care for it properly. My wife's oldest sister is going through this right now. The professional salon she's been going to for years has, it turns out, been bleaching her hair without telling her and without giving her any guidance on proper care to avoid long-term damage. She only discovered this because she went to a beauty school for her latest dye job and they could tell by the damage that her hair has been being bleached. It's going to take about four years for her hair to grow out to the point where the damaged hair is all gone and she can once again have it bleached if she wants. (My wife doesn't understand how her sister didn't smell the bleach, but that's another story!)

I have been bleaching my hair for years - like over 30 years.  It is highly damaging, yes, but all you need to take care of it is some deep conditioner.  Bleached hair will always break easier than un-bleached hair, but you can still be in the sun and blow dry it.  I do that every day.  You just need to get a good deep conditioner and use good shampoo meant for bleached hair.  Most high end salons use bleach (or a high-lift color which does the same damage).  

Tell your sister-in-law not to worry, the beauty school is scaring her.  I almost fell for this myself.  They then charge extra money to "fix" your hair, which is basically a deep conditioning treatment.   Tell her not to fall for it.  

Hannah gets highlights, it is obvious - but she just needs a touch-up.  I am sure there is a salon in Split that can do it.  

Add me to the list of people who find Malia kind of ho-hum.  She's pretty enough, but not hot.

Also, Wes is weird looking.  He is good looking from afar, but up close, something funny about his face.  

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Hockeymom said:

And can you imagine how pissed you'd be if you were the one paying for the charter and Samantha decided to bail?

Wasn't Sam the primary as in the one paying?

I think out of all the girls, Lauren looks best, but I guess I'm biased as a brunette. 

I'll refrain from trashing their bodies. Always bums me out, as a really thin person with hardly any curves and small boobs, to hear or read that curvy women are so much more attractive. We get it. "Real women have curves." ?

Hannah's roots definitely bug the crap out of me. And I hate to admit this, but her accent is annoying. Maybe it's because she's the one speaking. If a hot guy spoke the same way, I might find it appealing, ha!

• Love 9
On 7/18/2017 at 10:10 PM, tinaw said:

I doubt bobby did that much extra around the boat. I don't really believe Malia did either. I really don't know which person earned the job

With the editing on this show, it's impossible to tell who really does what and how much they really do.

On 7/19/2017 at 0:43 PM, Hockeymom said:

And Samantha the charter guest!

I wanted to slap her. "It's not what we were promised. This is so unprofessional!" What do you want them to do about the weather?!?!

I wanted Sandy to say:  "Fine, let's go." head out and see how long it took for somebody to get seasick and turn back to port.

Apologize profusely while letting everybody know Samantha insisted.  It's chilly and a howling gale.  Not exactly prime watersports conditions.

Boat rides are no fun in rough weather.

I have no use for Bugsy.  When she found that tablet, she should have told no one, immediately given it to Hannah and reminded her to be more careful.  Then Hannah would have owed her one.

I just wonder how much production eggs this stuff on.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I think out of all the girls, Lauren looks best, but I guess I'm biased as a brunette. 

I'll refrain from trashing their bodies. Always bums me out, as a really thin person with hardly any curves and small boobs, to hear or read that curvy women are so much more attractive. We get it. "Real women have curves." ?

Hannah's roots definitely bug the crap out of me. And I hate to admit this, but her accent is annoying. Maybe it's because she's the one speaking. If a hot guy spoke the same way, I might find it appealing, ha!

Her accent doesn't bother me but I like an Aussie accent.  I do agree with you though on the body shaming and "real women have curves" comment. Even after kids, I have no boobs. For some reason, our society recognizes that fat shaming is not ok but haven't extended the same courtesy to skinny shaming.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

As a fellow brunette who lusts after the dark hair, I would normally agree. But Lauren always has this perma-scowl on her face like she just caught a whiff of something fowl. To be fair, they all can clean up good when they try but most of the time they look a little wonky. This crew's got nothing on Julia Pusey.

13 hours ago, MrSmith said:

@LucyHoneychrrch That's a very good explanation as to why all the men on the boat want Malia. Thanks!

It could be that she's letting her dye job go because she doesn't have the stuff she needs to take proper care or may not have the time and space to take proper care of it. Bleached hair requires special conditioning and cannot be exposed to high heat, such as from hair dryers. Otherwise, it gets brittle and will eventually fall out if you continue to bleach it and don't care for it properly. My wife's oldest sister is going through this right now. The professional salon she's been going to for years has, it turns out, been bleaching her hair without telling her and without giving her any guidance on proper care to avoid long-term damage. She only discovered this because she went to a beauty school for her latest dye job and they could tell by the damage that her hair has been being bleached. It's going to take about four years for her hair to grow out to the point where the damaged hair is all gone and she can once again have it bleached if she wants. (My wife doesn't understand how her sister didn't smell the bleach, but that's another story!)

Ok, so she could still dye it dark like her original hair color and not have horrendous looking hair.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

You shouldn't feel this way. There are plenty of men who like women with your figure. I generally prefer women who have more curves, but I have dated (and found very beautiful and alluring) several women with hardly any curves and small boobs. (In fact, the only other woman I would have married before my wife was very athletic and had the build to match. Until I met my wife, she was the one that got away.) For me, it's more important that a woman look good as a whole, rather than "big boobs" or any other singular feature being supremely important. I've even dated women who didn't have particularly pretty faces, yet altogether they looked great. I don't find attractive women who have chosen to get implants that are too large for their frame.

So, I'm sorry that you felt inferior after reading my earlier post. It really is (for me, anyway) a much too complicated subject to really discuss thoroughly, especially in text.

5 hours ago, rho said:

As a fellow brunette who lusts after the dark hair, I would normally agree. But Lauren always has this perma-scowl on her face like she just caught a whiff of something fowl. To be fair, they all can clean up good when they try but most of the time they look a little wonky. This crew's got nothing on Julia Pusey.

Yeah! Those damned birds! :D (Sorry. I just could not help myself!)

• Love 4
21 hours ago, sasha206 said:

I'm a woman and I'd kill for Hannah's body! And when her makeup and hair is right, her face can look very pretty.

They showed her in a bra one time in her cabin, and if a plastic surgeon could give me those breasts, I'd empty my 401 today.

(edited)
10 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

Her accent doesn't bother me but I like an Aussie accent.  I do agree with you though on the body shaming and "real women have curves" comment. Even after kids, I have no boobs. For some reason, our society recognizes that fat shaming is not ok but haven't extended the same courtesy to skinny shaming.

I have edited my previous post. Body shaming was not my intent and I can see how part of what I said could be construed as such. Though, in fairness, I never said anything that "real women have curves". I simply expressed my preference and I made a comparison of Malia against that preference. While that comparison was designed as a dig at Malia, it was supposed to be specific to Malia. Since it wasn't specific enough, I've removed it.

Edited by MrSmith
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, MrSmith said:

I have edited my previous post. Body shaming was not my intent and I can see how part of what I said could be construed as such. Though, in fairness, I never said anything that "real women have curves". I simply expressed my preference and I made a comparison of Malia against that preference. While that comparison was designed as a dig at Malia, it was supposed to be specific to Malia. Since it wasn't specific enough, I've removed it.

Oh, I'm sorry that you thought I was calling you out!  I wasn't!  It was a general comment because it is so pervasive in today's society and I made a similar comment in another show's threads here on PTV. Women are horrible to each other. If you are skinny then you need to eat. If you are overweight then you need to stop eating. If you are pregnant or have kids, nothing you can do is right. 

• Love 4
On 7/19/2017 at 9:01 PM, Avon.Blakes7 said:

What will Bobby do when it all disappears? He has no real looks, is dumb as a bag of hair, and is as gossipy as any old woman! I wouldn't want to shake his hand! ;-(

Walmart Stocker

• Love 5
On 7/19/2017 at 11:01 PM, Avon.Blakes7 said:

What will Bobby do when it all disappears? He has no real looks, is dumb as a bag of hair, and is as gossipy as any old woman! I wouldn't want to shake his hand! ;-(

Can opener. Nevermind, he's got braces now.

1 hour ago, Giselle said:

Walmart Stocker

I agree with Giselle.

7 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

Oh, I'm sorry that you thought I was calling you out!  I wasn't!  It was a general comment because it is so pervasive in today's society and I made a similar comment in another show's threads here on PTV. Women are horrible to each other. If you are skinny then you need to eat. If you are overweight then you need to stop eating. If you are pregnant or have kids, nothing you can do is right. 

Thanks for letting me know. I'm still ok with having removed it because it actually was not specific enough to only insult Malia and could have been taken as insulting all women of that body type. I can (usually) admit when I've made a mistake. This is one of those times, imo.

5 hours ago, Giselle said:

Walmart Stocker

Nuh-uh! Target would hire him! :D

• Love 4

I guess I'm a little confused over the whole lead deckhand thing. I don't really get the big deal in relation to Bobby. Is he trying to be a real yachtie , or a TV yachtie?

If it's a real yachtie, then ok. I see. It would be helpful in moving his career along. But so would memorizing the shackle lengths. 

If it's a TV yachtie, I would imagine the job requirements are vastly different. He seems to have had work done since last season, so I'm guessing it's a TV job he's after. In that case, why does it matter? Someone was kind enough to post a link to yacht salaries. The difference between deckhand salaries was negligible, especially this late in the season. It would only be a raise for a few weeks. 

I would imagine (and I'm just guessing) Bravo salaries are not based on position - except maybe for the captain. That position may be a bit harder to cast. While having boating experience is part of the equation, looking good in the uniform is up there as well. So I imagine an entertaining 4th Stew earns as much as the Chief from the production standpoint.

And I'm sure returning fan favorites get favorable treatment as well. I would watch anything with Kate. Anything. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Can opener. Nevermind, he's got braces now.

I agree with Giselle.

9 hours ago, Giselle said:

Walmart Stocker

That might be too challenging! Sorry guys, the only thing he's destined to be totally qualified for is a specimen on an examination table; unable to think, move, or speak! "There you go Bobby! You found your calling!" ;-)

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Hockeymom said:

I guess I'm a little confused over the whole lead deckhand thing. I don't really get the big deal in relation to Bobby. Is he trying to be a real yachtie , or a TV yachtie?

I noticed, too, that it didn't appear to be about money. I think it may have been all about ego.

2 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Samantha was not the primary. A gentleman was. 

Who was fighting in the back of the screen at the end- my dvr cut off?

Adam and Wes. More specifically, Adam instigating a fight with Wes.

8 hours ago, Hockeymom said:

If it's a real yachtie, then ok. I see. It would be helpful in moving his career along. But so would memorizing the shackle lengths. 

If it's a TV yachtie, I would imagine the job requirements are vastly different. He seems to have had work done since last season, so I'm guessing it's a TV job he's after. In that case, why does it matter? Someone was kind enough to post a link to yacht salaries. The difference between deckhand salaries was negligible, especially this late in the season. It would only be a raise for a few weeks. 

I would imagine (and I'm just guessing) Bravo salaries are not based on position - except maybe for the captain. That position may be a bit harder to cast. While having boating experience is part of the equation, looking good in the uniform is up there as well. So I imagine an entertaining 4th Stew earns as much as the Chief from the production standpoint.

And I'm sure returning fan favorites get favorable treatment as well. I would watch anything with Kate. Anything. 

I can't imagine that he really wants to get into yachting. He's 33. I imagine he's been a firefighter long enough to vest into city or municipal pension. He's friends with Ariana from Vanderpump Rules and Kate from Below Deck: The Mothership. Kate recommended him to casting. Bobby has a reality TV show agent and is hanging out with Aleks and his ship of the damned.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Bobby has a reality TV show agent and is hanging out with Aleks and his ship of the damned.

Wow! You know so much! Tell me more about Aleks and his ship (please).

(edited)
2 hours ago, Hockeymom said:

Wow! You know so much! Tell me more about Aleks and his ship (please).

Aleks does charters out of L.A. His ship of the damned is one of our running jokes* because he was dating Kristen Doute from Vanderpump Rules and he hired Rocky Dakota from Below Deck: The Mothership season 3 as a chef/stew. Bobby now works for Elite Yacht Management, which is owned by Aleks.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/briennewalsh/2017/05/01/bobby-and-hannah-from-below-deck-mediterranean-share-secrets-from-season-two/#6bc7388c30fb

*We joke about Aleks staffing a crew of cast that we hated.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 1

ON 7/20/2017 AT 0:30 PM, MVFROSTSMYPIE SAID:

-Ugh. I hear you. But, speaking as someone with a classic "model" frame, ie, thin, tall, small boobs, slim hips, etc., I honestly wouldn't trade! I can wear anything and go sans bra if I feel like it ;-). Besides, those big, heavy boobs don't hold up very well ;-).

• Love 3
3 hours ago, kitten59 said:

-Ugh. I hear you. But, speaking as someone with a classic "model" frame, ie, thin, tall, small boobs, slim hips, etc., I honestly wouldn't trade! I can wear anything and go sans bra if I feel like it ;-). Besides, those big, heavy boobs don't hold up very well ;-).

I always joke that my boobs can't droop because there isn't anything there to droop.  LOL. 

• Love 3

Oohhhh, I wonder what Hannah's beef is with Sandy?

My guess is that she made a pass at her.

So Bobby's living in LA, working with Aleks & Rocky?  Figures.  We'll probably see him pop up on Vanderpump too.

I don't think Sandy is that dumb. I'm sure she had to fight and work hard to get her own command. I doubt she'd throw it away so easily. Yachting is full of pretty young people. If she were the type to be tempted by her crew, I would imagine it would have been an issue before. Why wait until the cameras show up?

Sandy surely has her quirks. I thought she was a little cringy with the charter broker. 

And Initially, I did sort of get a weird vibe when she was mentoring the girls. I thought it might get interesting. But then I got used to her mannerisms and  it became a non-issue.

Compared to the captain from last season, Sandy has spunk, personality, and knowledge. I like her. 

I don't know enough about the mechanics of boating and anchors and mooring to understand if the tangled anchor debacle from earlier in the season was her fault or not. I hope not!

• Love 6

I have gotten the impression that Sandy is a bit socially awkward. She seems to be fine with anything job related, but in other social situations she seems a bit awkward. I do not think she would put her career at risk just to hit on Hannah, especially when there are cameras involved. I kind of dislike that was the first thing that was thought of as to why Hannah might not like her. I thought Hannah might not of liked getting called out on the deflecting her kiss with a charter guest by Sandy. Sandy was pretty diplomatic about the whole thing, but Hannah seems to hold on to those things. 

I like Sandy. I find that I prefer her to the much loved Captain Lee. I have been over Captain Lee the past couple of seasons now.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Misslindsey said:

I have gotten the impression that Sandy is a bit socially awkward. She seems to be fine with anything job related, but in other social situations she seems a bit awkward. I do not think she would put her career at risk just to hit on Hannah, especially when there are cameras involved. I kind of dislike that was the first thing that was thought of as to why Hannah might not like her. I thought Hannah might not of liked getting called out on the deflecting her kiss with a charter guest by Sandy. Sandy was pretty diplomatic about the whole thing, but Hannah seems to hold on to those things. 

I like Sandy. I find that I prefer her to the much loved Captain Lee. I have been over Captain Lee the past couple of seasons now.

I just figured Hannah probably didn't like the micromanaging that Sandy was doing. Granted, she didn't do it all the time, but they started out the season that way and you know what they say about first impressions. I very much doubt that any of these professional captains would jeopardize their careers over a pretty crew member. Of course, there are exceptions, such as the captain that Malia was banging before coming on this show. Still, the ones that are actually on TV? Not so much.

• Love 5

I can't get on the Malia hate train. I don't find her particularly likeable, but it's not like she invited one guy on a date and showed up with two other guys in tow, or whined at a guy until he hooked up with her and then eased away from him, or cheated on her partner with a crew member while failing to tell the crew member she had a partner. We know a few things for sure. She's shared a few kisses with both Wes and Adam, none of which she initiated. She sent suggestive texts to Adam, maybe shortly before or after kissing Wes. She had some kind of relationship with Adam prior to arriving on the boat, but we don't know the nature of it. She said she wasn't going to be with either guy and then she (gasp!) changed her mind. She's not always sensitive to other people's feelings, you know, the way Bobby, Kelley and Eddie were. I don't see a lot to be horrified about here. She's far from being the evilest evil who ever eviled and since she's not once dropped her pants that we've seen there's absolutely no justification for slut shaming her.

Yes, she's involved with two guys who live and work together. You know who's making it messy? The two guys. Malia can only lead them on or hurt them or disappoint them if they let her. All that has to happen to end this is that one of them takes his ball(s) and goes home. They need to stop whining and pouting about how wronged they are. There's been no deception; Malia has never tried to hide the fact that she's attracted to both of them. They're not victims, they're volunteers.

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, Passing Strange said:

I can't get on the Malia hate train. I don't find her particularly likeable, but it's not like she invited one guy on a date and showed up with two other guys in tow, or whined at a guy until he hooked up with her and then eased away from him, or cheated on her partner with a crew member while failing to tell the crew member she had a partner. We know a few things for sure. She's shared a few kisses with both Wes and Adam, none of which she initiated. She sent suggestive texts to Adam, maybe shortly before or after kissing Wes. She had some kind of relationship with Adam prior to arriving on the boat, but we don't know the nature of it. She said she wasn't going to be with either guy and then she (gasp!) changed her mind. She's not always sensitive to other people's feelings, you know, the way Bobby, Kelley and Eddie were. I don't see a lot to be horrified about here. She's far from being the evilest evil who ever eviled and since she's not once dropped her pants that we've seen there's absolutely no justification for slut shaming her.

Yes, she's involved with two guys who live and work together. You know who's making it messy? The two guys. Malia can only lead them on or hurt them or disappoint them if they let her. All that has to happen to end this is that one of them takes his ball(s) and goes home. They need to stop whining and pouting about how wronged they are. There's been no deception; Malia has never tried to hide the fact that she's attracted to both of them. They're not victims, they're volunteers.

YES!!!!!!

Thats what I was trying to say!!!! I think you just said it better!

On 7/20/2017 at 3:30 PM, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I'll refrain from trashing their bodies. Always bums me out, as a really thin person with hardly any curves and small boobs, to hear or read that curvy women are so much more attractive. We get it. "Real women have curves." 

I like an Australian accent, but Hannah is like nails on a chalkboard for me with the way she talks.  I think he words are too round or her mouth is open too wide as she's forming the words or something.  Yes, I have thought about this.

4 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I think you might have it the nail on the head.  Hannah seems like exactly the type to hold a grudge over that even though she was being called to the floor for something she did wrong and Sandy was very gentle and matter of fact about it.  I really like the way Sandy was just matter of fact about the whole thing.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Passing Strange said:

Except for the times there has been deception, such as when she's telling each of them that she's not interested in the other one.

• Love 3
On 7/22/2017 at 2:34 PM, tvfanatic13 said:

Samantha was not the primary. A gentleman was. 

My bad.  He didn't get much airtime.  I wonder how much Samantha whined to him and how he took it.  I would be pretty ticked if one of my invited guests bailed like that.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

Except for the times there has been deception, such as when she's telling each of them that she's not interested in the other one.

I wish I could remember the exact instances of her saying that, but I can't. When this first started I'm thinking she implied to Adam that she preferred him. If so, she herself told us in a TH that originally she liked Adam, but then she fell for Wes. As it stands now, if she said that to Adam all that happened is that things changed. If she said it to Wes, it's the truth.

(edited)

This is the only episode where I have disagreed with one of Sandy's decisions.  Having managed many employees myself, if there's a supervisory or management position open (even a crappy, unpaid one like "Lead Deckhand"), better to let everyone in the department know and let them voice their interest.  Hire whomever is best, but let your staff feel like you at least considered their skills and that they are valued.

From an employee POV, it probably doesn't feel very good to hear there was a position opened up in your department to move up, but hey it's been filled!  Too bad, so sad.

That said, I do really like Captain Sandy.

Edited by PumpkinPK
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Passing Strange said:

There's been no deception; M

Except Wes has no idea that she and Adam knew each other and had already had a thing.

2 hours ago, Passing Strange said:

As it stands now, if she said that to Adam all that happened is that things changed. If she said it to Wes, it's the truth.

Except she was apparently texting Adam after she said things had changed. I mean Adam is a douche but that is pretty shady.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Except Wes has no idea that she and Adam knew each other and had already had a thing.

Except she was apparently texting Adam after she said things had changed. I mean Adam is a douche but that is pretty shady.

I'm thinking I'd probably wait until the relationship had grown beyond two kisses before I'd start sharing about my past, but that's me and this is a reality show. I imagine it will come out in a big dramatic blow up.

I'm not saying Malia is a paragon of virtue. She's handled this situation very poorly, most likely from lack of skills, and I don't see her as the vicious Jezebel that others see. If she kisses Wes and later he gets all stupid and promotes her, then she's using her sexuality to get ahead. If she kisses two guys in the same night, she's the village bicycle. If she prefers not to be forced into making a choice between two besotted idiots, she's sexually manipulative. I'm just not seeing that, so I don't agree.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Passing Strange said:

thinking I'd probably wait until the relationship had grown beyond two kisses before I'd start sharing about my past,

It was more her present given that they met five weeks previously, my point was that I doubt Wes would have gone there if he knew they already had a thing going on and her texts indicates it was still on going.

8 minutes ago, Passing Strange said:

most likely from lack of skills,

She is 26 already talked about having a prior relationship with her boss, I just don't see her as some naive woman with no game. I don't think she is a Jezebel I just think she is being an asshole and being shady and that she knows exactly what she is doing.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It was more her present given that they met five weeks previously, my point was that I doubt Wes would have gone there if he knew they already had a thing going on and her texts indicates it was still on going.

She is 26 already talked about having a prior relationship with her boss, I just don't see her as some naive woman with no game. I don't think she is a Jezebel I just think she is being an asshole and being shady and that she knows exactly what she is doing.

I always struggle with resolving slut shaming vs holding someone responsible for their actions--at what point do you cross the line?

I don't see any of us slut shaming Malia. It is just smart to not get in a messy, romantic triangle when you are on a boat with others for only around 5-6 weeks. Also, you have to look at her history. She admitted to sleeping with the captain of her previous boat. She comes on with this secret relationship with Adam, she makes out with Wes, she sends conflicting texts to Adam about Wes. All the while, there is this opening for lead deckhand. She is getting more attention and time with Wes because of the relationship which puts her in a better position to get noticed for the "promotion." He is talking her up to Sandy more than the others because of those factors. Then you add in the texts to Adam where she is saying she doesn't want to be with Wes, etc. That's great. Why are you hanging out/making out with Wes (while she knows he has to choose a lead deckhand) if she doesn't want to be with Wes?  Logical conclusion is that she is doing it to get ahead. 

It is crap like what Malia is doing that give women a bad name in the workplace. It is crap like that which makes it suspect when we get a promotion or make bosses think it is ok to sexually harass us/ask for sexual favors to move ahead in the company. 

• Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

We have no way of knowing what Wes would have done, though. I thought he would back off when he found out about the kiss with Adam, but he didn't. How he might behave is just a guess and I'm not drawing conclusions based on it.

I don't think Malia is naive. I think she doesn't have the experience/skills to handle herself or the situation well. Like I said, no paragon of virtue, but not deserving of some of the things she's been called, either.

1 hour ago, diadochokinesis said:

I always struggle with resolving slut shaming vs holding someone responsible for their actions--at what point do you cross the line?

I don't see any of us slut shaming Malia. It is just smart to not get in a messy, romantic triangle when you are on a boat with others for only around 5-6 weeks. Also, you have to look at her history. She admitted to sleeping with the captain of her previous boat. She comes on with this secret relationship with Adam, she makes out with Wes, she sends conflicting texts to Adam about Wes. All the while, there is this opening for lead deckhand. She is getting more attention and time with Wes because of the relationship which puts her in a better position to get noticed for the "promotion." He is talking her up to Sandy more than the others because of those factors. Then you add in the texts to Adam where she is saying she doesn't want to be with Wes, etc. That's great. Why are you hanging out/making out with Wes (while she knows he has to choose a lead deckhand) if she doesn't want to be with Wes?  Logical conclusion is that she is doing it to get ahead. 

It is crap like what Malia is doing that give women a bad name in the workplace. It is crap like that which makes it suspect when we get a promotion or make bosses think it is ok to sexually harass us/ask for sexual favors to move ahead in the company. 

I guess I don't see any similarity between slut shaming and holding someone responsible for her actions. Take the  Hannah and Jason kiss. People criticized Hannah for being unprofessional and told her that she needed to meet a certain standard. That's holding her responsible for her actions. If they had said she was cheap whore, not only would that have been slut shaming, it wouldn't have dealt with the real problem.

Malia has been called a twat, the village bicycle, a douche and it was suggested that she has "other talents" that attract men. That's not holding her responsible for inappropriate behavior; that's demeaning her because she's a woman. If Malia was a plain girl who bonded with Wes over a mutual hobby and earned herself more training and eventually more recognition and responsibility because of it, no one would be calling her any of those things, yet the two behaviors are equally manipulative. If it turns out that she took advantage of Wes for personal gain, the offense is what she did, not how she did it. So, you cross the line when you criticize someone for her sexuality rather than her work ethic.

Edited by Passing Strange
  • Love 4
Just now, Passing Strange said:

thought he would back off when he found about the kiss with Adam, but he didn't

Given that they happened on the same night I don't know why he would be the one to back off. If Adam and Malia came on telling everyone that they were dating there is literally no way Wes would have gone there because that would be messy as fuck. It wasn't just that they had hooked up its clear from her texts that they had an ongoing relationship that was not in the past.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Given that they happened on the same night I don't know why he would be the one to back off. If Adam and Malia came on telling everyone that they were dating there is literally no way Wes would have gone there because that would be messy as fuck. It wasn't just that they had hooked up its clear from her texts that they had an ongoing relationship that was not in the past.

I've said I can't get on the Malia hate train and why, so I think we've reached the point of agreeing to disagree.

55 minutes ago, Passing Strange said:

We have no way of knowing what Wes would have done, though. I thought he would back off when he found out about the kiss with Adam, but he didn't. How he might behave is just a guess and I'm not drawing conclusions based on it.

I don't think Malia is naive. I think she doesn't have the experience/skills to handle herself or the situation well. Like I said, no paragon of virtue, but not deserving of some of the things she's been called, either.

I guess I don't see any similarity between slut shaming and holding someone responsible for her actions. Take the  Hannah and Jason kiss. People criticized Hannah for being unprofessional and told her that she needed to meet a certain standard. That's holding her responsible for her actions. If they had said she was cheap whore, not only would that have been slut shaming, it wouldn't have dealt with the real problem.

Malia has been called a twat, the village bicycle, a douche and it was suggested that she has "other talents" that attract men. That's not holding her responsible for inappropriate behavior; that's demeaning her because she's a woman. If Malia was a plain girl who bonded with Wes over a mutual hobby and earned herself more training and eventually more recognition and responsibility because of it, no one would be calling her any of those things, yet the two behaviors are equally manipulative. If it turns out that she took advantage of Wes for personal gain, the offense is what she did, not how she did it. So, you cross the line when you criticize someone for her sexuality rather than her work ethic.

I haven't seen where Malia has been called a twat, village bicycle, etc. I do recall the post where they insinuated that she must have other talents. However, I think the majority of posters are just saying that her behavior was irresponsible due to the work environment. If she wanted to do it in her private life then that is one thing. But to do it on the yacht with two guys that share a room and also conveniently at a time when she is up for a promotion...  It isn't a good look. People are calling her out on that. 

• Love 4
(edited)
55 minutes ago, diadochokinesis said:

I haven't seen where Malia has been called a twat, village bicycle, etc. I do recall the post where they insinuated that she must have other talents. However, I think the majority of posters are just saying that her behavior was irresponsible due to the work environment. If she wanted to do it in her private life then that is one thing. But to do it on the yacht with two guys that share a room and also conveniently at a time when she is up for a promotion...  It isn't a good look. People are calling her out on that. 

All of those examples came from the first two pages of this thread. I think you're right about intentions, and twat and douche were likely just opinions, similar to calling Bobby a douche or a prick. The others are something people only say about women and only when they want to discredit us. I'm not big on censorship, so I believe they get to say that. And others get to say that's not exactly a logical argument.

Edited by Passing Strange
It turned out I did have something more to say.
(edited)
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

All of this. Also, the bolded part, especially.

6 hours ago, Passing Strange said:

All of those examples came from the first two pages of this thread. I think you're right about intentions, and twat and douche were likely just opinions, similar to calling Bobby a douche or a prick. The others are something people only say about women and only when they want to discredit us. I'm not big on censorship, so I believe they get to say that. And others get to say that's not exactly a logical argument.

I don't only call women the village bicycle. Bobby's the male version of Malia, except that he isn't using his sexuality to get ahead. (Of course, maybe that's just because he hasn't had the opportunity to do so.) Ben is basically a man-whore. Ben is funny and so if he's ever on this show again, I'd still watch. He's definitely not someone I would want to be friends with in real life or would bother to go meet and get a picture with, even if he was only 20 feet from me. So, I don't have a double standard when it comes to men and women.

Edited by MrSmith
  • Love 2