Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Hella Great

• Start Topic

Welcome to season 2!

I don't think Molly has any real intentions of sharing anything with these therapists.  I'm not sure what she's expecting them to do if she doesn't open up.  But she is right about the cultural issues that POC can face when they go to therapy.

I hated that last scene.  Whether it was just a booty call or something more, it felt really cheap.  It's been two months, and Lawrence is sleeping with Bank Teller on the regular.  They need to move on.

Man, those kids were bold, running off with the snacks like that.  I wouldn't go back there, either.  Are Habanero Oreos actually real?

The party was hilarious.  Kelli was wonderful as always.  Issa's brother was a cutie.

Hi, Regina Hall!  Not sure if that "show" is going to be a running gag or what, but I like her and I'm glad she's getting so much work.

• Love 6

Come through, Season 2! I laughed so much in this episode.

I didn't like the Lawrence scene either. I was like, "Issa, want more for yourself!" But damn it if I couldn't relate, LOL.

I'm here for Molly and her therapy issues, I feel like I'd be going through the same thing. 

Really not feeling Lawrence and Tasha. Actually, I'm not feeling Lawrence at all. And yea~, Issa's starting to date! Love that "Niggas" shirt she had on, found out it's by Omondi but I don't know that I have $220 worth of love for it.

Looks like both seasons have a show-within-a-show, I like this quirky little common thread. "Bitch, let the bitch read!"

• Love 4
(edited)
14 hours ago, link417 said:

I didn't like the Lawrence scene either. I was like, "Issa, want more for yourself!" But damn it if I couldn't relate, LOL.

Yeah, same. I was actually pretty sad for her while it was happening, because I knew the high she was probably feeling during it, was going to be a lousy low 2 minutes after.  

No judgment, though. Totally been there. 

Edited by LADreamr
  • Love 6
(edited)

I didn't watch the entire show yet, but I did see, "Bitch, let the bitch read!" and I died laughing. I saw the kids run off with the snacks, and yes, you gotta know when to let it go.  I'm thinking Issa needs to transfer that thinking onto her and Lawrence and let it go, because the sex scene between she and Lawrence at the end felt HELLA cheap. I was like girl, wipe that little smile/smirk off your face and don't live in denial that, that wasn't cheap and you aren't selling yourself way short. That damn scene looked as if they had never been in a meaningful relationship. By they way, how long were they together?

Oh, and that was Regina Hall in that, "Bitch, let the bitch read!" scene right? Always good to see her. I wonder if they'll continue to show that pretend show, like Defamation on Dear White People, LOL. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 5

Yep. Even though she cheated, Issa deserved way better than a pump and dump from Lawrence.  He's being a shit to Tasha, too. Is he sucking the life out of her, because she looks hella drained! 

High school kids are horrible! I felt for Frieda and Issa; however, they should have figured out how to engage them better. Or maybe they are just awful with children period!

• Love 4

For a second, I thought Issa was imagining it like all the imagined exchanges which were running in her head when she was prepping in front of the mirror -- she has a very active inner life.

I think the scene is meant to indicate that things are still not finished, in both their minds.  As opposed to him taking advantage of her in the moment and her wanting him back so much that she put up with it.  Quite a contrast from last season, in fact in the pilot, where Lawrence and Issa are talking about Molly's romantic difficulties and Issa makes a crack that maybe Molly should lower her standards (in men) like she did.

Not too much about Molly's love life in the season 2 premiere, other than her dick meter being all the way on E.  Is that better or worse than the Broken Pussy from last season?  Wonder if they'll delve more into her professional life, especially the pay disparity issue.

Their mocking of therapist lingo was funny, talking about how they wanted to "unpack" things in he therapy sessions.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Keepitmoving said:

I didn't watch the entire show yet, but I did see, "Bitch, let the bitch read!" and I died laughing. I saw the kids run off with the snacks, and yes, you gotta know when to let it go.  I'm thinking Issa needs to transfer that thinking onto her and Lawrence and let it go, because the sex scene between she and Lawrence at the end felt HELLA cheap. I was like girl, wipe that little smile/smirk off your face and don't live in denial that, that wasn't cheap and you aren't selling yourself way short. That damn scene looked as if they had never been in a meaningful relationship. By they way, how long were they together?

Oh, and that was Regina Hall in that, "Bitch, let the bitch read!" scene right? Always good to see her. I wonder if they'll continue to show that pretend show, like Defamation on Dear White People, LOL. 

Five years-plus. In the pilot she says she's been with him five years.

Tasha is going to do that thing where she is monogamous AT Lawrence in the hope that he'll figure it out and commit to her. He won't, and shouldn't - he just got out of a long relationship that ended badly, he doesn't need to be anybody's boyfriend - but he should tell her that. It sounds like right now he's just using her for sex and a place to stay on weekends, and that's shitty.

Black Twitter is coming at Lawrence's stroke game. "Why's she smiling after 12 dry pumps?" I can't.

11 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Welcome to season 2!

I don't think Molly has any real intentions of sharing anything with these therapists.  I'm not sure what she's expecting them to do if she doesn't open up.  But she is right about the cultural issues that POC can face when they go to therapy.

I hated that last scene.  Whether it was just a booty call or something more, it felt really cheap.  It's been two months, and Lawrence is sleeping with Bank Teller on the regular.  They need to move on.

Man, those kids were bold, running off with the snacks like that.  I wouldn't go back there, either.  Are Habanero Oreos actually real?

The party was hilarious.  Kelli was wonderful as always.  Issa's brother was a cutie.

Hi, Regina Hall!  Not sure if that "show" is going to be a running gag or what, but I like her and I'm glad she's getting so much work.

She is right. I'm in therapy; my therapist is a Black woman like I am (she's older than I). I'm so happy I'm in therapy, even when it's hard, but there's this narrative that Black people are supposed to be strong all the time, and it's really damaging. No one can be strong all the time; it's OK to be like "I need some help." Molly is getting in her own way, and she needs to figure out why and how to stop. Nothing wrong with that. And I know Molly makes good money (although not as good as White Josh from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend), but it's dumb to waste money on therapy if you aren't going to put the work in.

• Love 8
(edited)

I am thrilled this show is back. It's like visiting myself in my late 20s/early 30s. 

The Lawrence + Issa hook up is why I send folks their stuff via fedex once a relationship is over.  Sending stuff fed-ex guards against "let me come pick up my stuff" sex. 

I think Kelly is the show's secret weapon. Her lack of fucks is hilarious.

I'm glad Molly is getting therapy I just hope she eventually finds the therapist that will really help her with her self-esteem.

Edited by Drumpf1737
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Five years-plus. In the pilot she says she's been with him five years.

Tasha is going to do that thing where she is monogamous AT Lawrence in the hope that he'll figure it out and commit to her. He won't, and shouldn't - he just got out of a long relationship that ended badly, he doesn't need to be anybody's boyfriend - but he should tell her that. It sounds like right now he's just using her for sex and a place to stay on weekends, and that's shitty.

Black Twitter is coming at Lawrence's stroke game. "Why's she smiling after 12 dry pumps?" I can't.

She is right. I'm in therapy; my therapist is a Black woman like I am (she's older than I). I'm so happy I'm in therapy, even when it's hard, but there's this narrative that Black people are supposed to be strong all the time, and it's really damaging. No one can be strong all the time; it's OK to be like "I need some help." Molly is getting in her own way, and she needs to figure out why and how to stop. Nothing wrong with that. And I know Molly makes good money (although not as good as White Josh from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend), but it's dumb to waste money on therapy if you aren't going to put the work in.

I mean, but seriously. For all intents and purposes, those were negative pumps Lawrence did. 

Tasha is about to get her feelings all the way hurt. Lawrence is blatantly staying at her place on the weekends then leaving. They weren't even going out for meals until Chad (Chad! He and his ain't shit self!) pointed it out to Lawrence. She's going to conjure a relationship out of those scraps and Lawrence is going to have no problems letting that happen. He needs to be upfront with her because that really ain't cool. 

Over all, I liked the premiere. Between Issa's exasperation at her rotation of dates (plus that rap. LOL) to the moment when she and Molly were talking about their entire lives being on E (and Issa trying to get Molly's attention at grey sweatpants at two o'clock; no, nine o'clock; no, three-fifteen) to that whole mess with Thug Yoda and his brew rolling through the party, it was all a gem for me. 

• Love 14
5 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

The minute I saw them all watching the show I thought of Defamation.  Very curious where she takes that.

I love how Issa's dates deteriorated both in her dress and her attitude.  Cute clothes, hair make up & smile with the first guy and then just a sweathsirt & disinterest with the third guy.

Also, Issa's little party was both kinda sad and hysterical with their Ross in a jug and the Bloods showing up.

For real tho, Lawrence if you are gonna really bounce then you get a PO box and have your mail forwarded.  It feels like last season conceded that Issa was at fault for cheating on Lawrence and thus deserve his anger and resentment, but this season with his treatment of Tasha & now his angry fuck with Issa it feels like the show is saying "ok wayment, not so fast...Lawrence isn't going to be able to dine out out o the righteous meal of his victim hood for too much longer." 

Molly girl...  The scene of her seeing that paycheck of White Josh's and then seeing him with his do-less attitude in person + the party of the female associate who is being "punished" by going to Chicago  is yet another reaffirmation of the 'mediocre white male getting cookies' while women who work hard barely get rewarded.  Makes me feel some type of way.  We just had a new hire in my dept.  His starting salary is $7,000 more than the woman he replaced. And she was only in the posititoin 5 years.  Same exact jon description and equitable qualifications.  No way that job appreciated that much in 5 years.

"Put some lotion on those ankles!" Said by everyone's aunt/mother/grandmother/every old lady in the neighborhood.  Those pants Issa wore in that scene super cute.

• Love 7

i *loved* this episode and am so glad this show is back.  in addition to the parts y'all have already pointed out, the montage of issa imagining what she was going to wear and say to lawrence when he came over was hilarious (and also poignant underneath, which is common for this show).  there were a lot of moments throughout the ep that made me laugh, both montages especially.

also another thing this show does well is have embedded social commentary on structural dynamics that are hella depressing but all too real, such as in this episode when the high school has the art teacher covering geometry, despite her having no knowledge of the subject.  

• Love 6
On 7/24/2017 at 9:52 AM, Keepitmoving said:

I think they will since Issa kept watching that fake women-in-lockup show last season. I love little touches like that! And I want Regina Hall to get her own show instead of popping up in my Black TV Faves every now and then.

On 7/24/2017 at 2:30 PM, Mozelle said:

that whole mess with Thug Yoda and his brew rolling through the party 

HAHAHA! You win everything with that line, bongratulations.

• Love 9

My brain didn't even sympathize about the dry pumps. I was too worried about protection. In this day and age, can we not insert conversations or shots of condoms into sex scenes please? It's about the only thing Being Mary Jane gets right. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, link417 said:

I think they will since Issa kept watching that fake women-in-lockup show last season. I love little touches like that! And I want Regina Hall to get her own show instead of popping up in my Black TV Faves every now and then.

HAHAHA! You win everything with that line, bongratulations.

I've been waiting for someone to catch it! Anytime anyone on the show replaces a "c" word with "b," I die laughing. Like when Tiffany's husband spotted Thug Yoda and crew and said, "Look, we got bompany." Or when Thug Yoda said about Kelli, "Aye! You bute and you thick." Or the other dude who said he needed to "bonnect" the aux cord.

OMG! I'm simultaneously laughing and typing.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, Mozelle said:

I've been waiting for someone to catch it! Anytime anyone on the show replaces a "c" word with "b," I die laughing. Like when Tiffany's husband spotted Thug Yoda and crew and said, "Look, we got bompany." Or when Thug Yoda said about Kelli, "Aye! You bute and you thick." Or the other dude who said he needed to "bonnect" the aux cord.

OMG! I'm simultaneously laughing and typing.

See, and I thought the dance the guy was doing looked like a Crip Walk, so I was wondering if there's also a Blood Walk or of there's some other proper dance term.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, sarkygal said:

My brain didn't even sympathize about the dry pumps. I was too worried about protection. In this day and age, can we not insert conversations or shots of condoms into sex scenes please? It's about the only thing Being Mary Jane gets right. 

You and I both. I don't know where that girl has been that he's messing with. Hell, did Issa use any protection with that itch she scratched last season with what's his name? Seriously, I forgot the name of the guy she cheated on Lawrence with. All this popping in and out, I have no idea how people in this day and age, can continue to play Russian roulette when it comes to their sexual activity, nasty. 

3 hours ago, MCMLXXVII said:

See, and I thought the dance the guy was doing looked like a Crip Walk, so I was wondering if there's also a Blood Walk or of there's some other proper dance term.

Oh that's what it was, I died laughing when Issa mouthed something to the effect of "Did he choreograph that?"

This show is the best.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

You and I both. I don't know where that girl has been that he's messing with. Hell, did Issa use any protection with that itch she scratched last season with what's his name? Seriously, I forgot the name of the guy she cheated on Lawrence with. All this popping in and out, I have no idea how people in this day and age, can continue to play Russian roulette when it comes to their sexual activity, nasty. 

Oh that's what it was, I died laughing when Issa mouthed something to the effect of "Did he choreograph that?"

This show is the best.

Yeah, the series really needs to do better about at least showing either an open box of condoms on a nightstand or having one partner stop to reach for a condom from under a pillow or in between a couch cushion or from a nightstand drawer. 

I watch a lot of Black & Sexy TV shows, and they're really good about having their characters reach for condoms before the act is fully started.

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, scrb said:

Black & Sexy TV shows?

Yep. They're web-based programming. They got their start by posting a number of series on YouTube, many of which you can still find on there (like The Couple, which was my intro to them) as "mini-sodes." They transferred most of the series to the digital platform, VHX--Black&SexyTV--for monthly subscription.

Edited by Mozelle
  • Love 1

Thanks.  I guess Insecure was itself a web show.

I've seen some show on Cinemax featuring mostly a black cast and it was pretty much soft core.

But I gather these Black & Sexy shows have more substance.

Oh, Issa. I totally understand that feeling of wanting to see your ex again, hoping that he will forgive you but she mistook his momentary urge to fuck her as way more than it really was and she is going to beat herself up for letting it happen.

Love the tv show they were watching. It reminded me of the faux Twilight movie on Huge which was hilariously bad.

• Love 1
On 7/26/2017 at 4:38 PM, MCMLXXVII said:

• Love 1
On 7/23/2017 at 10:50 PM, Amethyst said:

Welcome to season 2!

I know I'm late on this (finally catching up!), but they weren't Habanero Oreos, they were Halloween Oreos (which is why they were orange).