Type keyword(s) to search

Family Guy - General Discussion

ari333
  • Start Topic

Meg being a secret XMan and using Quicksilver speed to unleash some much-deserved payback on the family for all their abuse was brilliant. Though why she didn't dodge the sneeze is beyond me.

The Giant Chicken being an antivaxxer was pretty timely. I agree that they should have just let him die to end that stupid gag once and for all. But of course Peter realized he needed the grudge to feel alive (and to escape culpability for all the damage of the fights).

Edited by Spartan Girl

I love the chicken fights. I think the animation is fantastic and all the scenarios are brilliant. They actually haven't really beaten that joke into the ground either. I enjoyed the retrospective of their fights. 

The joke about the family not knowing/caring was the perfect context for it. 

• Love 2

"Fecal Matters". After he makes it through (Wuhan) flu season without getting sick, the hospital asks Peter to volunteer as a nurse, but he finds himself at a crossroads when the giant chicken, his mortal enemy is a patient.

Wow, that was dull.

On 1/18/2021 at 12:01 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I love the chicken fights. I think the animation is fantastic and all the scenarios are brilliant. They actually haven't really beaten that joke into the ground either. I enjoyed the retrospective of their fights. 

The joke about the family not knowing/caring was the perfect context for it.

Honestly the Giant Chicken fights are among my favorite parts of this show. They are awesome fights and very well done, not to mention so over the top it is hilarious. If anything if they should've killed off the Chicken it's simply because at this point it's hard to imagine how they could outdo the previous fights short of having Peter and Ernie's fights start blowing up planets.

On 1/18/2021 at 4:54 PM, cpcathy said:

As a cat person, I laugh at cat satire very easily. Knowing Seth McFarlane has cats makes it even funnier.

I found it pretty predictable. I can buy Brian who as a dog doesn't know anything about cats acting as stereotypical as possible, but as someone who does have 3 cats everybody else also being as ignorant about cats as possible was just cringeworthy. For instance, I have never had a cat in my life who has bitten me under any circumstances and definitely not out of the blue when they seem to enjoy being petted. If they have enough, they simply leave.

It was just a series of tired, ancient gags about cats that have been done a million times before and never were true in the least.

Edited by immortalfrieza

So here's an episode devoted to crapping on Brian and I'm okay with that. His girlfriend not telling him she had a kid was the first red flag that the relationship wasn't gonna end well. And oh yeah, Brian had a son that was somehow older than he was.

I liked the plot with the classic car.

10 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

So here's an episode devoted to crapping on Brian and I'm okay with that. His girlfriend not telling him she had a kid was the first red flag that the relationship wasn't gonna end well. And oh yeah, Brian had a son that was somehow older than he was.

I liked the plot with the classic car.

I kept waiting for the inevitable Ferris Bueller shot and was surprised they didn't do it.  Have they already used that gag?

14 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

I kept waiting for the inevitable Ferris Bueller shot and was surprised they didn't do it.  Have they already used that gag?

I thought Joe thinking the Fast Times misdirect was a Ferris Bueller reference was their take on that?

• Love 2

and, of course, "Family Guy" makes a joke at the end of the episode pointing out how

their crass humor is now part of the Disney Corporation.............

you know, several months after Bart Simpson mooned everyone dressed as Mickey Mouse.

Stan Smith:    Classic Family Guy.

...What exactly did Meg do for people to make sure she doesn't wander off?

It took them twenty years, but they finally managed to incorporate the Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Show opening. That's one hell of an in-joke. Seth MacFarlane mentioned in interviews years and years ago that he watches the opening of the Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Show to get creative inspiration. Yeah, it ate up a bunch of time, but this isn't like Conway Twitty, you NEED to see the entire thing. It's that crazy, and it kept getting crazier the longer it went on for.

Stewie with a facelift was truly weird to look at. 

I loved how long they stuck with the Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle show clip, could have watched that for the rest of the show.  

Didn't need the reference back to it at the end though.

I laughed just at reading the episode description about Stewie getting plastic surgery.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Ubiquit0us said:

I have no specific memories of them, but there was something familiar about the Razzle Dazzle show. Was it prime time or Saturday morning?  

Saturday morning.  The old cartoon guy in the intro who lights the rocket even mumbles something like "take away my Saturday mornings... I'll show them a thing or two".

• Useful 1
On 2/28/2021 at 10:18 PM, Galileo908 said:

Does Meg still murder people while wearing a wedding dress? 

14 hours ago, rmontro said:

Saturday morning.  The old cartoon guy in the intro who lights the rocket even mumbles something like "take away my Saturday mornings... I'll show them a thing or two".

I wasn't sure if that's what he mumbled, but I have contradicting memories of the show.

On 2/28/2021 at 10:18 PM, Galileo908 said:

It would be funny if continuity worked on this show.  She'd go through the rest of the run with a prosthetic foot.  And she'd likely be off the show for a while as she serves time for breaking her parole or whatever that was.

• Love 1

So they finally did a Terminator parody. And honestly? It was pretty cool. Not gonna lie, really liked the intro.

Interesting to see Rick's portal gun. "They've borrowed plenty from us."

Liked that we got terminators of minor characters, too, like the lone Ostrich in the audience got one.

• Love 4
(edited)

"PeTerminator".

Stewie designs a "Terminator" Peter robot to destroy Lois for trying to feed him broccoli, but when things don't go according to plan, Stewie and Brian must go on a Terminator-esque mission to save Stewie's life.

I liked the intro and there were a couple amusing gags, but I was bored and found myself looking at the clock.

Edited by Ubiquit0us
On 3/7/2021 at 9:59 PM, Galileo908 said:

Liked that we got terminators of minor characters, too, like the lone Ostrich in the audience got one.

I was disappointed that we didn't get a "No" from the Consuela terminator.

Okay, I'll appreciate any show that uses the Muppet Show theme as often as possible. Luckily they're both by Disney now so they could use it. 

It was nice to see a plot about something covid killed: taking advantage of free continental breakfast. I miss those.

I was honestly uncomfortable with the mail order bride plot. My dad's cousin has one, and the relationship is just as creepy as it was shown here.

• Love 1

"The Marrying Kind". Stewie gets a mail order bride from Ukraine and experiences domestic life. Meanwhile, Peter and Chris become addicted to free hotel breakfast buffets.

I always thought about the ease with which one could sneak into a hotel breakfast buffet. It seems pretty easy. LOL

I cannot help but wonder now just how many times do people vomit in rental cars now...

Edited by Ubiquit0us
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

My favorite hotel asks for your room number at breakfast. I suppose you can lie but it seems easy to check. 

The ones I have seen are open from various directions,  so you don't have to pass the front desk for access. 

Oh! I laughed my arse off at the Buns of Steel gag! I cannot believe I forgot ob that! 

I never think to visit this thread even though I'm a huge Family Guy fan.  (And I'm a 64-year-old female, so I'm guessing I'm not the usual demographic.) 

I think my favorite episode is Send in Stewie, Please where Stewie visits the school psychologist.  That's a masterpiece of writing.  (I would have left out the green runny nose during the Hamilton song,  though.  That's why I never eat while watching this episode.)  Also among my favorites are the two-parter Married With Cancer/Dead Dog Walking, where Brian realizes his marriage was a huge mistake; Blue Harvest (Star Wars) for obvious reasons; Bri-Robot, where Stewie builds Robot Brian; and Con Heiress, where Stewie and Brian con elderly rich women.  Hearing them recite (three times) the 80-something names of the richest woman (Pip!) is worth the price of admission.  And there are many others I love--like the one where Brian and Stewie are locked in a bank vault, and Peter and Death arrange for Peter Frampton to serenade Lois, but I can't think of the names of those. 

Eta:  I used to be obsessed with the Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Show, mainly because I was madly in love with Bill Hudson, the oldest brother.  He was my major celebrity crush for a year or two.  They not only had their TV show but also a few Top 40 hits like Rendezvous and So You Are a Star.  It was so nice to see the opening of the Razzle Dazzle Show--I hadn't seen it in years.  As you may know, Bill Hudson is the father of Kate Hudson and her actor brother Oliver.  They are estranged from Bill and I always thought Goldie Hawn poisoned their minds against Bill since Bill and Goldie broke up when they were very young.  Bill went on to marry Cindy Williams (Shirley from Laverne and Shirley) and had kids.  Bill and Cindy later broke up, but their kids are still very close to Bill.  So I blame Goldie for the estrangement.  But then I'm biased as I still have a soft spot in my heart for Bill. 

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

This was just an excuse to crap on Lois for half an hour. The family sucks, yeah, and she's terrible, too. Attempted murder and several kidnappings all over being denied a Customer of The Week award. I liked the excuse for her story was to give Seth's voice a rest this week. Cue all of Seth's characters silently nodding.

I liked the family arguing over who the best Spider-Man was. Stewie is a fan of one of the animated ones. Good taste. 

That image wth Stewie having pinkeye is gonna haunt me.

• Love 3

I do wonder if my dogs remember where they were before I got them. 

Yeah no. I saw the picture of puppy Brian tied up outside. Fuuuuck you Hendersons.

This is the guy that took months to buy a couch so the dog would like it. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 1

"Come see where your kid gets sick!" Yeah, that's preschool for ya.

We get it, we Millennials suck. But at least these were actual millennials. They work, they have kids, they rent overpriced apartments. Peter and Lois are Gen Xers, Baby Boomers they're not young anymore. Chris and Meg? Yeah, technically they'd be millennials. It was nice seeing those two in a plot.

Yeah, it wouldn't be Family Guy unless all those Millennials' kids ended up dead.

Edited by Galileo908
Peter and Lois are baby boomers, not Gen X

I didn't realize that Peter and Lois were Gen X because I'm am too. They kind of aren't because when the show started, I was about 18 years younger, now I'm about 7 years older than them. Techically, they were boomers at the start. 

The Richard Marx gag was worth it. 

I take it back. That was a loooooong walk for the knee joke. 

I can't remember when Chris and Meg interacted directly. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 1
On 4/19/2021 at 2:59 AM, Galileo908 said:

We get it, we Millennials suck. But at least these were actual millennials. They work, they have kids, they rent overpriced apartments. Peter and Lois are Gen Xers, Baby Boomers they're not young anymore. Chris and Meg? Yeah, technically they'd be millennials. It was nice seeing those two in a plot.

Yeah, it wouldn't be Family Guy unless all those Millennials' kids ended up dead.

The show has had a Millennial in the main cast for two decades at this point (the 1983 born Mila Kunis) so I'd expect them to realise they aren't teens and that the oldest Millennials are pushing forty.

It's weirder seeing Millennial jokes on The Simpsons, which still uses a 'sliding timescale' but is a bit more realistic. Homer and Marge might have begun as Baby Boomers but they are rapidly entering Millennial territory.

• Love 1
On 4/18/2021 at 9:59 PM, Galileo908 said:

What are you basing their generations on? The characters have aged up some over the years but are still on a sliding timeline.

Currently in the timeline of the show Chris and Meg are still teenagers, so they're Gen Z and Peter and Lois are in their mid 40s, so they'd be Gen X.