Type keyword(s) to search

Family Guy - General Discussion

ari333
  • Start Topic

Episode 10:

"Hefty Shades of Gray"

After Peter's hair turns white from a ghost-hunting adventure in his house with the guys, his new look grabs the attention of local news anchor Tom Tucker. Under Tucker's guidance, he learns the ways of reporting fake news, and soon becomes a senior crime analyst on Quahog's Channel 5 News. Meanwhile, Brian and Stewie attempt to help Chris improve his dating game.

Airs January 6, 2019.

I liked "Last Sign Burger."

I clearly remember those bits with Bruce Jenner. They really did see this coming.

I liked the plot with Peter with white hair. Of course he would be a man in a stroke medication commercial, or a problem customer in a Hooters, and a right-wing news contributor. Will next week involve the Griffins joining the Trump administration? Honestly, could be fun if they weren't well aware how behind the times they are with it.

Well, Chris isn't gay, but Dr. Hartman is. That was interesting.

Edited by Galileo908
37 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

I clearly remember that bits with Bruce Jenner. They really did see this coming.

I thought it was a bit because Stewie was wearing that hat. 

How does Joe get in and out of the basement?

They showed Quagmire walking up the stairs and then they cut to the doorway and Joe was rolling ahead of him. 

The whole 'that's so' stamp cracked me up when Joe was asking off camera what the rules are. 

I'm dumbfounded as to how they knew about Jenner. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:26 AM, OnceSane said:

"Hefty Shades of Gray"

After Peter's hair turns white from a ghost-hunting adventure in his house with the guys, his new look grabs the attention of local news anchor Tom Tucker. Under Tucker's guidance, he learns the ways of reporting fake news, and soon becomes a senior crime analyst on Quahog's Channel 5 News. Meanwhile, Brian and Stewie attempt to help Chris improve his dating game.

Good ep, but they were kidding about this being a two-parter, right?

What was the "That's So..." stamp parodying? It reminded me of the "Debunked!" stamp on Ghost Adventures when Scoobie Douche "debunks" something obviously not caused by a ghost.

On 1/8/2019 at 8:24 AM, Ubiquitous said:

Oh yeah, did anyone else notice the newspaper headline below the fold?

Yeah, weird joke implying Chris got killed (then again, we're supposed to accept it as canon I guess that Peter got his head ripped off TWO times in this episode). 

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:50 AM, OnceSane said:

"Trump Guy".

The Griffins move to Washington D.C. where Peter is hired as the new White House Press Secretary.

I remember dreading when they announced a Rush Limbaugh ep and it turned out to be one of my favs, but judging by the previews for the Trump ep I have seen, I'm not going to watch.

Edited by Ubiquitous
40 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I will be skipping this one tonight. Right now I'm so sick of the real Orange Thing that I have no desire to see even a "fictional" version on Family Guy.

I'm sick of him too but, holy crap this is a good episode. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3

Heh, so this was a two-parter after all. 

Was that Alec Baldwin voicing Trump? The credits didn't have him in it, but it sounded like him. It could've been Seth MacFarlane, too.

Of course Brian wrote the liberal jokes. Yeah, for once this show is well behind on the Trump jokes. At least we finally got to see the show finally tell the "Tiffany is the Meg of the Trump family" joke?

Speaking of behind behind the times, remember Sleepy Hollow? That show was definitely still in production when this was made. And yeah, take THAT, Bob's Burgers, the cartoon officially endorsed by President Trump.

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Right now I'm so sick of the real Orange Thing that I have no desire to see even a "fictional" version on Family Guy.

I know they made him look as dumpy as possible, like an orange pile of mashed potatoes (or Jabba The Hutt with Pence as his Salacius Crumb), but I feel like OG Family Guy would've made him look exactly like Peter but with an orange face. Of course this had to end with an overblown chicken fight. (I did enjoy the Chicken's cameo, though)

Technically, Grover Cleveland WAS part of a musical, Disney's The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band from 1968.

Not the Sherman Brother's best work, but I wouldn't put it past the crew not remembering this one.

26 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm sick of him too but, holy crap this is a good episode. 

Yeah, I ended up enjoying this one. 

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 1

Ok I caved and watched the end. Seth made his feelings perfectly clear with that Jabba the Hut tiny-handed, spray painted cartoon. Hee. Very cool. It sure sounded like Alec Baldwin.

And I never thought I'd root for Peter in any kind of fight, but damned if I didn't enjoy him beating the crap out Drumpf. And I appreciated Huckabee Sanders getting struck in the process too.

"We're very frightened." Me too, guys. Me too.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Technically, Grover Cleveland WAS part of a musical, Disney's The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band from 1968.

Not the Sherman Brother's best work, but I wouldn't put it past the crew not remembering this one.

Oh, Benjamin Harrison  /  Far beyond comparison  /  He'll fight just like a garrison

So yeah, that happened ---  Disney back during their "We have NO IDEA what we're doing" age.

"I've got a great idea --- let's make a musical about politics and the 1888 election  ---  that's what the kids want to see!!!!"

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Twilight Man said:

Oh, Benjamin Harrison  /  Far beyond comparison  /  He'll fight just like a garrison

So yeah, that happened ---  Disney back during their "We have NO IDEA what we're doing" age.

"I've got a great idea --- let's make a musical about politics and the 1888 election  ---  that's what the kids want to see!!!!"

1) Based on a true story, as it turns out. It was adapted from a book written by the youngest Bower daughter.

2) Walt had his hand in developing it, but it was released after his death. Yeah, from '66-87-ish Disney had no idea what the hell they were doing without him.

3) The main lesson seems to be "Don't follow a Republican to a second location," and a lot of the bits hold up pretty well.

Edited by Galileo908
19 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Speaking of behind behind the times, remember Sleepy Hollow? That show was definitely still in production when this was made. And yeah, take THAT, Bob's Burgers, the cartoon officially endorsed by President Trump.

It's funny you mentioned Sleepy Hollow, I swear it's been off for ages, yet I looked it up and S5 aired in 2017. Probably because I stopped watching in S3. The clip they aired with the garbled Closed Captioning reminded how great S1 was. The CC had me cracking up.

I don't like Bob's Burgers, so I'm totally OK with that. 

My favorite bit was McConnell ducking his head into his neck, true turtle-style.

How did it end?  I forgot about football making the FOX shows start late.  When my recording cut off, Peter and Trump were coming at each other in airplanes. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

My favorite bit was McConnell ducking his head into his neck, true turtle-style.

How did it end?  I forgot about football making the FOX shows start late.  When my recording cut off, Peter and Trump were coming at each other in airplanes. 

They fought on the Washington Monument and both fell off because of Trump's tiny hands.  They were saved by a Canadian cushion that was put down by Justin Trudeau, who rescues them and then flies back to Canada on the back of 2 Canadian Geese.  Trump/Peter have a discussion and Peter says Justin and a good guy, Trump jumps in and says "you know who's a good guy?  Putin, Putin is a good guy".  Peter agrees that Putin is a good guy and then it cuts to Putin in the Writer's chair saying he wrote that line and bye bye America.  

I think that's how it ended

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

It took me a while to get that joke. 

Bye bye American situational comedy with drawings!

The show ended with everyone back in the living room. Chris said that you could learn more about Trump by reading the Steele dossier, and Meg said she wears a hat. Then Peter said that they were all frightened. 

• Love 4

Morrigan2575 and Ganesh, thank you. 

I had no idea that Jared Kushner's father had a history.  I didn't catch all of what was said in the episode (it went by so fast), so I looked it up.  Apparently he was upset at his brother-in-law for cooperating with federal investigators (campaign contribution violations) so he arranged for a hooker to seduce the guy, had the encounter videotaped, and sent the tape to his sister.  Dang.  Talk about uncomfortable family gatherings!

Edited by AuntiePam

I watched the half that I missed today. Figures that the only reason Brian would be so calm about being in the Trump White House was if he wrote all the jokes.

Wow I did NOT know that about Kushner. What a scummy family. Shouldn't be that shocked but still.

Poor Meg. Even she's not that desperate to want be be near Drumpf. It would have been a fitting tribute to Carrie Fisher if she at least tried to strangle him when he started Jabba  Slobbering all over her. And was that Mike Pence or sessions playing the demon monkey? 

Peter and Lois' first reaction to Meg telling them is the very reason why women don't...well you know the rest. 

Edited by Spartan Girl

Good episode.  A little weak, but not as preachy as I'd expected.  I disagree with Peter's statement "you're the president: we can't turn you off".  Because you kind of can.  You don't have to watch the news or read up on all this stuff if it upsets you.  It's not that hard.

Favorite part was the two sides of Congress alternately applauding Peter and Trump as each landed a punch on the other.

• Love 1

Just re-watched the episode where we find out Stewie fakes his accent. I still can't tell what to make of this 'really' voice, it sounded too much like Quagmire to me. I think it would have been funnier if Seth used his real voice for Stewie's real voice but, maybe that's too on the nose.

So...we just saw a Minion almost get molested by Harvey Weinstein. Not a sentence I expected to write.

And of course Brian is concerned about mortality, he died once. Oh boy, he falls in love with himself, and realize he hates himself, and that says a lot.

"Bri, Robot"

Brian worries about the legacy he's leaving behind, so Stewie makes a robot duplicate as a living biography.

Am I sppsd to know who Allison Janey is (but respect)? 

It appeared that Lois was having an affair, but did anyone else think that's what Quagmire smelled? Gross.

Edited by Ubiquitous

I thought this episode was stinky. I laughed a few times, but it just felt so trite like they don't even care anymore. Of course it has been 20 years (minus the years after the first cancellation) so I don't expect it to feel fresh but I expected more. Peter in the spa could've been fun but it was almost an afterthought. 

That whole bit with the peaches was weird.

Yeah, the first thing they bring up is Quagmire's dad (at least Ida shows up at the end). And then they just push that aside for...all this. Why did I watch this? The last minute Bob's Burgers cameo didn't help, either.

• Love 2