Type keyword(s) to search

Family Guy - General Discussion

ari333
  • Start Topic

"And now The Last Man on Earth and 16 other characters with more showing up each day." So true.

The bit with Fivel was so random and dark, but I laughed.

If there were more bits of Cleveland having all the leftovers of Peter's various plots he loses interest in, his show would've been better. That Cleveland Copter gag was great, but man what a missed opportunity to end that with Cleveland somehow in his tub and sliding out of the house again.

Really liked Peter and Lois's trip to the cabin. This is why I don't like going to the woods. Yeah, why are Peter and Lois still together?

I ended up enjoying the Nanny plot more than I expected to. Oh, Brian died again. I hope. Nope, he lived. Damn.

• Love 2

I wondered how they were going to explain Brian getting shot in the head and killed.

Nope. They ignored it.

I expected them to use the bathtub sliding out of the house gag after the "Cleveland 'Copter" crashed into a familiar house, too.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

"And now The Last Man on Earth and 16 other characters with more showing up each day."

Since this show airs after FG im now expecting some type of full-on crossover between the two..

36 minutes ago, Doyounot said:

My favourite joke was peter saying lois this is family guy... u know we only do the guy side of the joke ha! also the breadstick was jokes: this is what u want, this is what ur gonna get lol

How about some marinara dipping sauce with that breadstick?

• Love 1

The first segment of the episode was absolutely brilliant however the rest for me went downhill quickly.  That said, the Top Gun bit using public domain music was one of the funniest thing they've done in a while and a fantastic call back to it a few minutes later.  Also, the Amber alert bit with Stewie abducted by a goat and then showing the couple discounting it because the model year of the car was off was amazing.

• Love 1
On 10/15/2017 at 7:45 PM, Ubiquitous said:

I expected them to use the bathtub sliding out of the house gag after the "Cleveland 'Copter" crashed into a familiar house, too.

I was hoping they'd go with it too.

The nanny plot was better, but it was ok overall. Good joke with the Top Gun music and the callback. 

Although Lois and Peter bickering was pretty good. "How's the piano lessons coming?"

Edited by ganesh

So this was Family Guy's version of 22 Short Films About Springfield? I enjoyed it. Lots of characters that we haven't seen in ages finally get some screen time, like Carl, Cleveland Junior, Neil Goldman, Ida, and Ernie The Chicken's Wife. Hell, the guy with the really long arms hasn't been seen since the early days and he was there! Always good to see Adam West again, too.

Carter was actually nice to Meg? He wasn't necessarily MEAN to Meg, just mad that she wasn't listening.

A spoof of the Ellen Oscar Selfie and Kylo Ren's freakout from TFA? Yeah, this show goes for timely jokes.

• Love 1

I was so excited when I realized that they were about to do a riff on my favorite movie scene ever, the Boogie Nights drug deal and while I loved Cleveland Jr as the bouncer, the random appearance of Todd (I was hoping that they would get Thomas Jane to reprise his role), Cosmo throwing the firecrackers, etc...it wasn't that funny.  It was more just a recreation of that scene using the Family Guy characters....sigh

When Neil visited his mom's memorial bench, I went "Awww" thinking it was sweet and then they had to switch it up. Didn't realize Muriel was such a tyrant.

On 10/22/2017 at 9:57 PM, Ubiquitous said:

In the opening credits, what was on the dollar bill during Meg's segment?

It just said "United States of AmeGica"

• Love 1
On 10/22/2017 at 9:28 PM, Galileo908 said:

A spoof of the Ellen Oscar Selfie and Kylo Ren's freakout from TFA? Yeah, this show goes for timely jokes.

They wanted to be more timely and up to date with a live show but it's a terrible strain on the animators' wrists...

• Love 4
20 hours ago, xander874 said:

When Neil visited his mom's memorial bench, I went "Awww" thinking it was sweet and then they had to switch it up. Didn't realize Muriel was such a tyrant.

It just said "United States of AmeGica"

How sad is it that I still didn't get it for a few seconds? :-D

I enjoyed all the Easter eggs in this ep.

• Love 2

On Thanksgiving weekend, Peter discovers an alternate ending in the Russian version of one of his favorite films and writes to Vladimir Putin, who comes to Quahog. Meanwhile, a strapped-for-cash Brian gets a job at a suicide hotline center and attempts to strike up a romance with a co-worker

Well, this was an interesting sendoff for Carrie Fischer. Was this her last one?

Quentin Tarantino: Of course reference-heavy Quentin Tarantino is up first. In place of Bruce Lee's Enter The Dragon Suit, Peter is dressed up like Ronald McDonald and holding Lion-O's sword. It's classic him, really. 

Wes Anderson: This was perfect, they completely nailed Wes Anderson's style. I need to see this again, I think Fantastic Mr. Fox was the only one of his movies that wasn't referenced. I got a laugh at the boat being named the SS Smugchuckle.

Michael Bay: They got Carrie Fischer to tongue kiss Peter, I loved that. And the president being Adam West was a great detail. They really get Michael Bay, everything is overly muscular and sexual and patriotic. I actually liked that this was basically Armageddon mixed with Transformers. Makes as much sense as either of those two movies.

• Love 3

R.I.P Carrie..neither FG or the Star Wars universe will be the same without you :(

Havent seen any of Wes Anderson's films myself,but the "Tarantino" and "Michael Bay" segments were spot on,especially the latter with all the confusing and random jump cuts lol

• Love 3

Well, this was an interesting sendoff for Carrie Fischer. Was this her last one?

EW said it was "one of her final guest appearances" so she might have a few more.

Edited by M. Darcy
16 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Quentin Tarantino: Of course reference-heavy Quentin Tarantino is up first. In place of Bruce Lee's Enter The Dragon Suit, Peter is dressed up like Ronald McDonald and holding Lion-O's sword. It's classic him, really. 

I thought the yellow suit Peter didn't choose was from Kill Bill.

TBH, I didn't like first and last directors and have no clue who the middle one is or has done. He may as well have been Tim Burton.

I didn't watch all the way; was there a tribute to Carrie Fischer at the end?

Edited by Ubiquitous
Corrected Carrie's last name.
17 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Fisher

Darnit! I did have it correct the first time!

13 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Which was Bruce Lee's suit from Enter The Dragon. Quentin loves his references.

Ahhh, now I get it. :-)

I watched the last segment and agree with Lois.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:
18 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Which was Bruce Lee's suit from Enter The Dragon. Quentin loves his references.

Ahhh, now I get it. :-)

It's from Game of Death, the movie they made years after he died using footage from an uncompleted movie of his and a double.

Out of the three segments I think the Wes Anderson one hit the closest to the mark because his is the easiest visual style to parody. Also the very mannered way his characters speak. Yes Quentin Tarantino films are very violent but it's the long scenes of dialogue for ten minutes THEN violence erupts that really are his signature and they can't really parody that in the time they had. Also Michael Bay, while they did get a lot of his tropes: the hypermacho military infatuation, the slow mo shots looking up at sweaty people, the incoherent fast editing and over the top action, his most defining trademark to me is the constant asinine humor and jokes that are sexist, borderline racist and outright homophobic(yes I'm aware Family Guy does that too, but Bey's is 3rd grade level while FG is 7th!)

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
On 11/6/2017 at 0:13 PM, Ubiquitous said:

I thought the yellow suit Peter didn't choose was from Kill Bill.

That's where is was from in Kill Bill iirc. The Bride wore the Bruce Lee suit. 

I think I've maybe seen one Wes Anderson movie about some hotel, but this reminded me exactly of that. All of it was ridiculously silly and it's fun to do once and a while. 

On 11/7/2017 at 10:02 AM, VCRTracking said:

Yes Quentin Tarantino films are very violent but it's the long scenes of dialogue for ten minutes THEN violence erupts that really are his signature and they can't really parody that in the time they had.

Dialogue about really weird stuff too. They tried in this episode with Peter asking where the pizza came from. 

• Love 2

Brian posts a racist tweet and gets publicly shamed. Yep, sure is 2017.

"Remember when we did Star Wars?" Yeah, the first two episodes were great.

Loved seeing Meg & Chris just go to town on all those guys in the cafeteria. They could hold their own when they want to. And Brian's sad bachelor life was incredibly relatable, I was honestly sad for him. And the episode just ends there. Sometimes I wish he would just stay exiled from the show.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 2

While Brian had a point about SJW going apeshit over nothing, that tweet WAS racist. And as sad as Brian lonely bachelor pad was, I feel like he deserved it. His whole smug demeanor in the first two acts, acting like he's God's gift to Twitter, was just too much. "I'm the smug liberal, not you!"

Quadmire: "I warned you about Brian." Hee.

The Kingsman reference of Chris and Meg going Freebird on the cafeteria was the best thing on this show in a long time.

So Brian getting kicked out will be an ongoing storyline? Wow. But I have a feeling that just like his "death", he'll be back home for Christmas.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

Didn't Brian basically tweet the same thing someone did several years ago?

Yeah, his tweet was referencing someone who tweeted "Going to Africa, hope I don't get AIDS. Just kidding, I'm white" before getting on a plane and found herself publicly shamed not unlike Brian.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Yeah, his tweet was referencing someone who tweeted "Going to Africa, hope I don't get AIDS. Just kidding, I'm white" before getting on a plane and found herself publicly shamed not unlike Brian.

Ugh, seriously? Sounds like that person deserved it too. But it really is unfair that some people get shamed for certain tweets while others continue to get away with it...

I bet this won't stick..Brian will be back with the Griffins next episode with no explanation,or there will be a one-sentence throwaway line by him saying"Okay so i apologized to everyone again for last week,and now i'm back home. And???"

Edited by TDT
11 hours ago, TDT said:

I bet this won't stick..Brian will be back with the Griffins next episode with no explanation,or there will be a one-sentence throwaway line by him saying"Okay so i apologized to everyone again for last week,and now i'm back home. And???"

It looks like it doesn't change next week, according to next week's synopsis:

On Thanksgiving weekend, Peter discovers an alternate ending in the Russian version of one of his favorite films and writes to Vladimir Putin, who comes to Quahog. Meanwhile, a strapped-for-cash Brian gets a job at a suicide hotline center and attempts to strike up a romance with a co-worker

On 11/12/2017 at 7:42 PM, Spartan Girl said:

While Brian had a point about SJW going apeshit over nothing, that tweet WAS racist. And as sad as Brian lonely bachelor pad was, I feel like he deserved it.

On 11/12/2017 at 8:08 PM, Galileo908 said:

Seth read the ensuing book about this and wrote one of the episodes of The Orville based on the concept. 

I don't think "it's just a joke" is justifiable in this case. But the ironic thing is, just saying "Just kidding, I went to college" probably would have been a good joke. 

I take their point about the SJW response, but I think they set it up with the wrong tweet, even though it's based on real life. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1
On 11/12/2017 at 8:19 PM, Spartan Girl said:

But it really is unfair that some people get shamed for certain tweets while others continue to get away with it...

I think that was the point of the book: who decides who gets shamed? How far does it go? The backlash was so bad, I think she was fired from her job before the plane landed. 

Even though it was a racist tweet for sure, who decides whether he's made proper restitution or even what it is? 

Although, I agree he'll probably be back next episode, the internet does have a short memory, and with Brian being off social media for a few weeks or so, it's going to be forgotten. 

• Love 2

I forgot about that one. I was thinking of when Stewie entered a children's beauty pageant as a little girl. I think there was a running gag about "Super Satan", who was like Satan but had bigger horns on his head and rode a motorcycle.

5 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

I was thinking of when Stewie entered a children's beauty pageant as a little girl. I think there was a running gag about "Super Satan", who was like Satan but had bigger horns on his head and rode a motorcycle.

That was the episode where Stewie threw up in church after he chugged some Communion wine…and they ran away to Texas.

• Love 1

Yep, Brian still lives in the crappy apartment. And once again he reminds us why he sucks.

Heh, a reference to an old jelly commercial...which Peter then ruined by explaining the joke. I appreciated the callback, but still not worth it.

So Peter, Cleveland and Joe all skipped Thanksgiving to watch Rocky IV? I'll admit, I laughed at the Brigitte Nielsen joke.

"'A Million Ways to Die in The West?' No thank you." Ha.

"You have Simpsons?"
"We have Family Guy."

I like the Putin stuff, but this whole episode reminded me of the Liam Neeson episode.

• Love 2

Cool of the show to continue the Brian plot. I hope they keep to it. 

2 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Heh, a reference to an old jelly commercial...which Peter then ruined by explaining the joke. I appreciated the callback, but still not worth it.

I wouldn't say it was ruined, since Peter correctly pointed out that most people wouldn't get it (I did), and they worked the joke all the way to the end with the meat jelly. That's been the show for a long time. And actually including the original commercial was funny. I mean, fanning an old woman with a platter. 

This was really funny all around. 

2 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

'A Million Ways to Die in The West?' No thank you." Ha.

Another good joke, but I actually liked the movie. 

I went to youtube to watch the Rocky-Drago fight, and the movie did the thing with the PA3 floating through the screen like they did here, which I figured. The actual Rocky-Drago fight was terrible in terms of boxing, which I think they pointed out here. I bring it up because I watch the Rocky-Mr T fight right after, and they were actually boxing. So just whatever. 

I was hoping they'd do Putin Chicken fight. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 3

In this special holiday episode, a selfish Peter loses his Christmas spirit and is visited by ghosts of Christmas past, present and future who take him on a journey around Quahog in the style of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol."