Type keyword(s) to search

Deadliest Media: News, Interviews, and Other Media

• Start Topic

They have to already have known -- when I saw him in a scene a couple of weeks ago I remember thinking "wow - that's the first time they've shown Edgar -- I didn't even know he was on the boat!"  Or it seemed like it, anyway.

They've got plenty of Mandy stuff to use, but at this point Sean is the only person I can think of who's squeaky clean (and I don't want to hear different!)

• Love 3

I’m still stunned they haven’t said anything. I assume the plan is to just ignore it at this point. 

I got kicked off a Facebook group for suggesting it was a relevant topic of discussion and being critical of Edgar. Most of the comments blamed the victim. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, kassa said:

They have to already have known -- when I saw him in a scene a couple of weeks ago I remember thinking "wow - that's the first time they've shown Edgar -- I didn't even know he was on the boat!"  Or it seemed like it, anyway.

Yes, in previous years he would have been crying to the camera that Mandy is up at the helm while he, Edgar, was working on deck.   Now he knows that pedophiles aren't fodder for the camera.

So where is this going to leave the Northwestern on the show? Edgar molested a 16 year old - not a headliner anymore. He's an embarrassment for the boat, family, and show. Norman doesn't want to be on camera. So much for the old time, Norwegian fishing family with the old time fishing music. Can Sig carry the allusion alone with Nick, Matt, and the son-in-law? Mandy won't work. Women on the show really don't fly.

I think that we will absolutely see the Time Bandit back next season. YAY!

I forgot it was Shark Week too. Ugh, don't really care about Shark Week whether Shaq is in danger from a shark or not. phooey. yeah, don't know what's going to happen with Edgar and how that's going to be spun. Why oh why couldn't it have been Josh.

• Love 2

Did anyone read the article on the previous page?   What gets me is this:

Hansen’s guilty plea comes less than two weeks after his older brother received a one-year deferred sentence and

probation for assaulting an Uber driver after a night of drinking last year. As part of his plea arrangement, Sig Hansen was ordered to stop drinking and undergo alcohol treatment.

Sig Hansen is also now awaiting a decision from the state Court of Appeals over a King County judge’s ruling that would allow a sexual-abuse lawsuit brought by his estranged daughter, Melissa Eckstrom, to proceed to trial.

Eckstrom claims her father sexually abused her as a toddler, while her parents were divorcing about three decades

ago. Hansen has vehemently denied the claims as false, calling Eckstrom’s suit “an old-fashioned shakedown.”

I *do* believe that Edgar did what he did.  No question.  

But do I believe that Sig molested his daughter as a toddler?  No.  I do not.  

Am I missing something?

• Love 4
On 7/26/2018 at 10:49 AM, MostlyContent said:

Did anyone read the article on the previous page?   What gets me is this:

I *do* believe that Edgar did what he did.  No question.  

But do I believe that Sig molested his daughter as a toddler?  No.  I do not.  

Am I missing something?

Same. As I recall, the therapist/social workers felt it was unfounded at the time and triggered by his ex (The kid may well believe it's true.) And, frankly, with this sort of thing I always wait for the next shoe to drop. Because nobody commits that kind of atrocity ONCE.  And nothing has surfaced that I'm aware of. 

Edgar's confession to me indicates that at the very least, there's a reason denial wouldn't fly. So either conscience or an awareness that there are reasons his family would believe the accusation.

Both situations are tragic.

• Love 2

I could get past Sig's bout with the uber driver last year.  It was disappointing, but, ok, I could maybe understand that he was way too drunk and he was remorseful.  But this with Edgar?  Nope.  It's just too much.  

Plus, tonight on The Bait Sig just dumped vodka into his cup and it seems like something you should maybe not do when you're not supposed to be drinking and in trouble publicly for drinking?

• Love 3
14 hours ago, smores said:

Plus, tonight on The Bait Sig just dumped vodka into his cup and it seems like something you should maybe not do when you're not supposed to be drinking and in trouble publicly for drinking?

It was a clear liquid that came out of a vodka bottle.  If Sig was smart, it would have all been for show and the fluid was just water

Early in the series when they were first all getting attention/reported on, the word on Sig was that he was a really nasty, angry drunk.  They laughingly shared stories of predicaments his drunken temper got him into on shore in his younger days.  And we saw glimpses of his temper for sure those early years with his crew.  Seemed like he had mellowed, but he wouldn't be the first person to up his drinking under stress, and the last few years have been really stressful (even good stresses like a new grandchild and wedding).

• Love 2
On 7/19/2018 at 1:47 PM, eskimo said:

The Northwestern was my favorite boat and crew for a long time (tied with PHIL Harris, when he was alive), but Sig has turned into an asshole-and now this!?  I've never been a fan of Keith, the CM (Phil Harris was the CM, imo) and the Time Bandit are now gone, and Jake is a petulant man-child (I had high hopes for him when he was younger).  I just have had a very hard time maintaining interest in this show.  It bums me out. 

In a strange way, that's what I like about this show and reality TV in general.  In scripted TV, nothing changes unless the showrunners decide to change things.  That's not what happens in real life.  In real life people change, people go through shit and for me, it's been interesting to see all the changes in this show, the good and the bad. 

• Love 2

So... is it done? They can't have Edgar back. Sig seems tempted to retire (at least from winter fishing). Time Bandit is gone. Cornelia Marie hard to watch. Wizard REALLY hard to watch. Jake stresses me out. Only bright spot is Sean. 

Seems to me that by airing the Wild Bill/son dirty laundry and the psychotic Keith stuff they made a pretty clear decision that they weren't going for the feel-good working class guys brave all odds to bring home the big paycheck stuff any more.  Even Keith's lighthearted look back at his greenhorns was made weird by the Edgar thing. Har har, Mike Rowe pokes fun at bank robber who goes on national television  - stupid criminal! But Edgar is paraded out to be included without actually participating much, so they don't have to address the downfall of arguably the most popular/best liked guy in the entire series.

Sig is back on Evine tonight selling seafood (may have missed earlier airings).  I notice they've changed the name of the program from Deadliest Catch Collection to Captain Sig's Seafood.

ETA: apparently this is the first anniversary of "Captain Sig's Seafood", so the break from Deadliest Catch must've happened some time ago.  They now show a cartoon Sig rather than clips from Deadliest Catch, and he is careful not to mention the show, except for briefly acknowledging the host's mention of Jake A.  Interesting ...

And still the most expensive seafood on the planet.  

Edited by walnutqueen

and apparently Josh Harris has a new show, ugh.  I was watching Smithsonian Channel and I think they showed a commercial for it at every commercial break.  He supposedly found a map of his father's (of course) with some mysterious something or other 🙄.  And at least part of it takes place in the ocean around Hawaii.  Yeah, not too interested in the least. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Linderhill said:

and apparently Josh Harris has a new show, ugh.  I was watching Smithsonian Channel and I think they showed a commercial for it at every commercial break.  He supposedly found a map of his father's (of course) with some mysterious something or other 🙄.  And at least part of it takes place in the ocean around Hawaii.  Yeah, not too interested in the least. 

I know right.   I was watching the "After the Catch" Before the Catch special last night and saw every single ad for that damn thing.   Ugh.    WHY is Disco still trying to make Josh Harris happen?   

With luck it will go the same way as the Hillstrand special about looking for mythical monsters in Alaska.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I know right.   I was watching the "After the Catch" Before the Catch special last night and saw every single ad for that damn thing.   Ugh.    WHY is Disco still trying to make Josh Harris happen?   

With luck it will go the same way as the Hillstrand special about looking for mythical monsters in Alaska.

Best I can figure is that Josh gets so much bashing from fans of the show that we/they will all "hate watch" his new show.

No thanks.  How many different ways can he point to the sky and say, "That's for you, old man"?

When we saw those commercials last night, I commented to Mr. AZC about how sad it was that this guy is in his 30s, refers to himself as a "young gun" and is only famous for being the son of someone who wasn't all that nice himself.

• Love 4

I had forgotten about Harley. Wish THEY had. If they wanted a villain, why not bring back Elliott? Sure we hated him, but he at least brought actual drama, not just a sour disposition. 

Read about Josh's new show a couple of weeks ago and had forgotten that, too. No, thank you. Maybe one day Phil will be able to rest in peace.

• Love 4
On 4/8/2020 at 9:49 AM, AZChristian said:

When we saw those commercials last night, I commented to Mr. AZC about how sad it was that this guy is in his 30s, refers to himself as a "young gun" and is only famous for being the son of someone who wasn't all that nice himself.

I don't know, I mean the Kardashians are still on TV and none of them have really "done" anything. 

Do all websites bash Josh?  I've seen a few on Reddit that weren't bashing him. 

Why do people hate watch anyway?  If I don't like someone on TV I just don't watch.  What a concept!

As far as Josh...well he's not a dope fiend and he's never raped a child so there is that.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Said he was recovering from a torn achilles suffered while crabbing.   But then said he was on the Cape Caution and the Seabrooke.   Which ship had the torn achilles this year?

Mahlon was the guy who injured his Achilles tendon on the Summer Bay (Bill's boat).  He had a heart attack at 38 . . . probably NOT related to the tendon injury, which would have happened many months ago.

Very sad.