Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E18: The Night Before (Life Goes On)

Javery lives!  Thank you Avery for recognizing what you have and Juliette for recognizing Avery needs a life of his own.  Now, can we have a love scene?  Please???

Deacon, it's too soon.  Step away from the singer.

Scarlett, stop whining all the time.  Gunnar, run far, far away.  

• Love 7

Damn this show got dark. Gunner and Scarlett being mugged at gun point. The second Scarlett hit the ground my first though was kid your going to do big boy time when she miscarriages from this. Don't know if thats what going to happen but the writing seems to be on the wall with the baby. If it does happen there were better ways to wrap the story up. It make me want the baby to be ok and this be a wake up call to Scarlett that she really does love  Gunner. And I'm so over  there stupid relationship. You ruined them CMT. The people at the commercial shot looking at Scarlett like she had mental problems for crying. She's pregnant and hormonal give the girl a break you ambushed her. 

Aw Juliette growing up. Understand that her body has limits and being ok with it. Knowing that Avery needs to finish the tour or else they would be repeating past mistakes. Not mad at her for giving Avery attitude after creepy bartender snatched his phone and later talked to her in a bathroom like a weirdo.

loved Deacon's teenagers are crazy look when M&D almost started to cry at the thought of giving something of Rayna's away be when the learned it was some ugly jacket they didn't care. Kind of like how I don't care about Daphne's first make out party. Loved the minimum Maddy but she looks to be in full swing next week. 

Are we done with orphan Annie and Hallie? Not that Im complaining. But where in the world is Will? Did Zack kidnap him?

i like the friendship between Deacon and Jessie but I dont.want to deal with her evil ex. Girl you are to new for me to be any kind of invested in your crazy. 

• Love 4

Charles Esten is continuing to rock my world on a weekly basis. I love that song, and when he started singing, I just teared up. For a Whose Line is it Anyway alum, he's a revelation. And I didn't mind Jessie this week. She's like the female Deacon, but with a slimy ex just begging to get punched.

Cliche teen drinking scene annoyed. Glad Daph and Flynn went out to the swings. 

So, why didn't angry teen just go rob the store instead of pointing a gun at people in a lit parking lot on a busy street?  Poor Gunner. And old sad Scarlett.

Rachel Bilson's giggly acting choices are annoying me. Can she leave? Soon? Someone tell me she's better than this? As for the character, she reminds me of my company's social media director, annoying, worthless, and full of jargon.

Avery, stop flirting with bartenders. Baby Cadence would be sad. Side note, that's the second time this year I've heard a favorite artist in a background scene. Never thought I'd hear Jason Isbell on this show!

Loved how we saw Rayna's fans bidding on the ugly jacket and tearing up over Deacon singing. It was a nice touch to show that her family might find the coat ugly, but her fans will still spend fat stacks for a tacky sequined piece of our departed queen. And great callback to last year when Rayna did a benefit for them. 

• Love 3

Not that I'm sad to see her gone, but, we get a scene with some woman we've never seen before talking to Deacon about how Liv is with a good family now, & that's it? They subjected us to how many episodes with this girl, & she just disappears now? What was the point of her? Why did they have her move in with them?

I am so over this baby plot & oh-so-sensitive & pliable Scarlett.  

• Love 2

Hey now, don't go messin' up pretty Gunnar's face. 

Liked Deacon and Avery's songs. Thank God they didn't go down drunken groupie street with Avery. I would have been so lit!

The girls' were written better again, although we were trapped at the make-out party too long. 

Scarlett is truly the sad Zoloft blob.

hqdefault.jpg 

• Love 17
(edited)

They lost me with this episode - and the promo for the next one.

If Scarlett loses the baby and then suddenly rediscoveres her eternal love for Gunnar we are exactly back where we were at the start of the season. Except that the exes will have a harder time finding a director for their next video when word of Scarletts break downs on sets spreads.

There would have been nothing wrong with keeping them happy as a couple during the season - in fact one storyline with a positive vibe would do the show good. But no, everything has to be repetitive drama.

I was ok with everything else that went on, however for me the Daphne stuff is not in balance with the rest of the show. How can the writers give Avery and Deacon such heartbreakingly great scences and then go on and write the sub-par crap for Scunnar and Maddie. I'm annoyed.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, dbell1 said:

Charles Esten is continuing to rock my world on a weekly basis. I love that song, and when he started singing, I just teared up. For a Whose Line is it Anyway alum, he's a revelation. And I didn't mind Jessie this week. She's like the female Deacon, but with a slimy ex just begging to get punched.

Jeffrey Nordling has made a small career out of playing slimy, punchable exes--he played one on Zwick and Herskovitz's Once and Again--but I kind of love him for it. Deacon is so...touching as the grieving widower.

Rachel Bilson's giggly acting choices are annoying me. Can she leave? Soon? Someone tell me she's better than this? As for the character, she reminds me of my company's social media director, annoying, worthless, and full of jargon.

I haven't seen her in too many things but I thought I liked her..but so far, she IS kind of annoying and pointless on here.

that's the second time this year I've heard a favorite artist in a background scene. Never thought I'd hear Jason Isbell on this show!

I know!! I was so excited.

Loved how we saw Rayna's fans bidding on the ugly jacket and tearing up over Deacon singing. It was a nice touch to show that her family might find the coat ugly, but her fans will still spend fat stacks for a tacky sequined piece of our departed queen. And great callback to last year when Rayna did a benefit for them.

6 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Scarlett is truly the sad Zoloft blob.

hqdefault.jpg 

baha.

I didn't actually think they'd have Avery cheat, but it was nice to see him cut loose, and then realize for sure that nope, he's a devoted guy now. Loved his scene with Deacon too. Pretty, pretty men.

Jonathan Jackson is coming to my town soon to perform in a little club...has anyone ever been to one of his shows? My BFF is all, like, 'we have to go see Lucky!!'....I know nothing about his music, aside from Nashville...is is religious based or anything? Cuz I'm not going to that. Who is his fanbase? Teens, or a lotta middleaged chicks like me who remember when he was a beautiful preteen on General Hospital and feel only moderately squicky to be crushing on him now?

• Love 5

I can't believe there's been only one comment about the best scene of the entire episode: Deacon and Avery! That's the Nashville I fell in love with, which had tons of friendships and extended family and everyone's interconnections with everyone in addition to the soapy, dramatic, romantic goodness. Deacon and Avery had a friendship that was independent of both Scarlett and Juliette and it was great to see the writers actually remember that for once.

My second favorite part of the episode was Gunnar finally growing a spine and confronting Scarlett. I regret immensely that we will never get the second half of that conversation, which is the only reason that it's downgraded from first place. I've been wanting that to happen for many, many episodes now and it was good to see it, no matter how brief. The writers finally had a chance for them to have a real conversation and as usual, they blew it. They've never known what to do with Gunnar and Scarlett as a couple or as individuals and so they've just thrown fake obstacles and drama at them for no good reason. Such a waste.

Does anyone else worry that Gunnar is going to jail for beating up the mugger (who looks all of 15, btw)? Because I'm very concerned about that. I don't trust these writers and EP's at all. That's not what I meant when I said I wanted Gunnar to be away from Scarlett. I will say that despite everything, I'm looking forward to seeing Sam's performance next week, even if I wind up hating the episode.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

Jeffrey Nordling has made a small career out of playing slimy, punchable exes--he played one on Zwick and Herskovitz's Once and Again--but I kind of love him for it. Deacon is so...touching as the grieving widower.

I haven't seen her in too many things but I thought I liked her..but so far, she IS kind of annoying and pointless on here.

I know!! I was so excited.

baha.

I didn't actually think they'd have Avery cheat, but it was nice to see him cut loose, and then realize for sure that nope, he's a devoted guy now. Loved his scene with Deacon too. Pretty, pretty men.

Jonathan Jackson is coming to my town soon to perform in a little club...has anyone ever been to one of his shows? My BFF is all, like, 'we have to go see Lucky!!'....I know nothing about his music, aside from Nashville...is is religious based or anything? Cuz I'm not going to that. Who is his fanbase? Teens, or a lotta middleaged chicks like me who remember when he was a beautiful preteen on General Hospital and feel only moderately squicky to be crushing on him now?

I saw his band perform two years ago and got to meet Jonathan and get a picture too! They are not religious , more like bluesy rock. This episode made me tear up-Deacon looked so sad throughout. Hope Scarlett's baby is OK and she realizes life is precious and stops acting so depressing.

• Love 1
(edited)

I enjoyed a lot of this episode, probably because it was a good Javery ep. I thought Avery was adorable throughout. I loved how he didn't want to leave but then once he was gone he got super drunk-- like a lot of guys do when they go to an out-of-town convention for valves or HVAC or whatever. LOL But he learned his lesson, and so did Juliette: they have to be the person they are now, not who they wish they could be, or think they should be. This show isn't heavy on theme, so I appreciated the way Juliette and Avery's storylines revolved around the same theme. I just thought J&A were acting as cute as they were in Season 2 and parts of Season 3, and that was very enjoyable.

I also liked Deacon's storyline. It was hard to watch the auction and see people joking about what, to them, was an expensive piece of country music history, but to Deacon, was so much more personal. It was kind of cold, but, also realistic. The scene with him and Avery was really good and very touching.

I hated the Scarlett and Gunnar story. First of all, she needed to stand up to that directory (are all directors jerks on Nashville?) and say a crib is NOT what they agreed to. And that stupid media person from Highway 65 was totally useless. I do not like her character. She should be looking out for her artist, not the other way around. And while I liked Gunnar finally standing up for himself, this feels like Groundhog Day. I am just so over the two of them arguing about whether or not they should be in a relationship. Just break up already. And the confrontation at the end? I just rolled my eyes. It came out of the blue and felt random just like that random car that hit Rayna. 

How can the same writers write a lovely scene between Avery and Deacon and then writer crap like the hold-up outside the convenience store?

Last but not least, Daphne. Ugh. It was fine. She didn't annoy me. But why are we at a teen party?! Why don't her scenes every involve music? And where is Will? I personally think the writers would get rid of him except it would look anti-gay, so they keep him around just to claim they're diverse.

ETA: The funniest scene was when Juliette said Avery was in the bathroom and he just looked around at the tile and bathroom fixtures like, how in the world? LOL

Edited by CrystalMoon
  • Love 3

Mixed bag. I loved the Deacon stuff, the Avery scenes, and the Daphne bit was okay. But then we have Scarlett, once again having a woe-is-me breakdown in front of an audience. Sure, she has the pregnancy excuse this time but she never needed an excuse before. She needs to be in treatment, not just running around expecting people to read her mind. Here's an idea: instead of blinking a lot and hoping that someone feels sorry for you and fixed everything to suit you in advance, just occasionally be a flippin' grownup and say "NO" to something instead of being a high-maintenance nightmare later. And now of course the assault/gun trauma will bring Gunnar and Scarlett closer together and we will just never be rid of that union.

• Love 5

The Deacon stuff was great - sad, but great.  It's so spot on with respect to how people move through their grieving.  I just constantly want to give that man a big, old hug.  And I cringed at the auction, for him.  How hard that must have been.  I loved, though, when he got on stage, that he changed the song he performed and dedicated it to Rayna.

I was glad to see the reference to FosterMore.  I actually wondered, when Liv was staying with them, if the reason Deacon gave in so easily had to do with Rayna's affiliation with the charity.  I like how they made a full circle moment out of that and it was great to see a call back to show history.

Loved all the Juliette/Avery stuff.  The lesson is that promos are always misdirections.  I loved that "I'm with someone" turned out to be the TV repairman.  And the sweetness between the two of them on the phone was great to hear.

I didn't mind the Daphne storyline, because I really felt like it was supposed to lead us to the sweet moment between her and Maddie after she got home.  I loved that Maddie sort of acted like a motherly big sister and even called out their mom as she was helping Daphne through it.

My absolute favorite scene was the Deacon/Avery scene.  It goes back to how spot on the writers are at dealing with the aftermath of death.  Deacon is feeling exactly how most people do as they go through that grieving process - feeling like they should be farther along, a little embarrassed at not being able to get past it all - and Avery was perfect as the outside person whose life has gone on as normal, who realizes he needs to offer a sympathetic word when he sees his friend's in trouble.  Just a beautifully written and performed scene.  Chip and Jonathan hit it out of the park!

I don't know what to say about Gunnar and Scarlett though, sadly.

• Love 1

Deacons stuff was good as were  Javery of course. But I have so much to say on Scarlett and Gunner.

One, I hate those stupid kids for ruining the conversation that has been needed for a while. Finally Gunner says some important things and then stupid kids who probably didn't even know how to fire that gun for interrupting. Because we didn't need that scene. No one got shot anyway, it was clearly done for the promos. 

So, that certainly escalated quickly, did it? We go from typical Gunnar/Scarlett drama, to getting held up at gunpoint by some bratty 15 year old in front of a grocery store. What the hell? I guess maybe this will bring them closer together or something, but I'm totally over it. Using the crib in the commercial was a weird and questionable thing to do, and she's pregnant and hormonal right now, but oh my GOD Scarlett really does come across as rather emotionally unstable, or at least in a constant state of emotional frailty. How many public breakdowns has she had at this point? I honestly don't think Scarlett should even try to be famous. She's talented, sure, but she seems super uncomfortable in the spot light, she freaks out at getting bad press, hates when people pay attention to her, doesn't understand why fans like her, and generally acts more like a wilting flower than a music star. She's basically Droopy Dog personified.

Other than that, I thought it was a good episode, mainly because of the Avery/Juliette and Deacon stories. I loved Deacon at the auction, it was so sad, but understandable. For what is a cool piece of music history for everyone else, is something deeply personal for him, and he isn't sure how to really deal with that. I just want to give the poor guy a hug, he just has the saddest eyes, even as he tries to stay strong and move on with his life. I especially liked his interactions with the girls in the kitchen. He seemed so baffled by how quickly the girls changed their minds about the dress why they realized it was an "ugly" dress. Oh Deacon. His song to Rayna was also lovely. Chip is just such a star.

Avery and Juliette had a good story, where Avery realized that he wanted to stay loyal to his family, and he wants to be the older, more mature guy that he's become. Juliette has hopefully learned her lesson about Avery being a good guy worthy of her truth, and this is the end of "Green Eyed Monster Juliette". His song sounded great as well.

• Love 1

What on earth were they thinking doing an ad for flat box furniture?  Will gets Budweiser and they get schlock?  Considering last week's episode about empowering women, Scarlett really should have stood up for herself.

2 hours ago, Brookside said:

What on earth were they thinking doing an ad for flat box furniture?  Will gets Budweiser and they get schlock?  Considering last week's episode about empowering women, Scarlett really should have stood up for herself.

They can't break their tradition as "most schizophrenic show about Feminist messaging on television."

• Love 2
9 hours ago, luna1122 said:

Jonathan Jackson is coming to my town soon to perform in a little club...has anyone ever been to one of his shows? My BFF is all, like, 'we have to go see Lucky!!'....I know nothing about his music, aside from Nashville...is is religious based or anything? Cuz I'm not going to that. Who is his fanbase? Teens, or a lotta middleaged chicks like me who remember when he was a beautiful preteen on General Hospital and feel only moderately squicky to be crushing on him now?

I live in Nashville and have seen Jonathan Jackson perform several times ... including FREE in Centennial Park on occasion.  I also work as a background actor on "Nashville" and have been lucky (see what I did there?) to see him lots of times during filming.

It's rock.  Nothing religious about it.  EXTREMELY GOOD!  EXTREMELY!  Very high energy with him all over the stage.  His brother, cutie Richard, plays drums for him.  In fact, he was the drummer behind Avery during Avery's show.

His fan base is widely varied.  My aunt is 63 and she can't get enough of his music.  My nephew is 15 and he's also a big Avery fan.

Absolutely not-squicky to be crushing on him.  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, slasherboy said:

His brother, cutie Richard, plays drums for him.  In fact, he was the drummer behind Avery during Avery's show.

Richard Lee Jackson! Thanks for the heads up. I am old enough that I remember him from Saved By the Bell: the New Class, and always wondered what happened to him. Now I have to go back and watch that scene!

I love Avery's music, but I've never been a country fan, and that may be why.

Two weeks in a row: WTF with Rachel Bilson's character?! So she's a marketing/social media whiz well-versed in cleaning up PR disasters. But she doesn't ix-nay her clients putting together a CRIB after they have been publicly shamed for paternity issues!? I totally agree that Scarlett and Gunnar should have said hell no to the crib idea too, but how does the REP who's tasked with smoothing over the controversy not stop this? She's worse than useless at this point.

Glad that the Daphne party storyline didn't revolve around the underage drinking issue (i.e, cops, Deacon finding out). Unpredictability is good.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Moxie Cat said:

Glad that the Daphne party storyline didn't revolve around the underage drinking issue (i.e, cops, Deacon finding out). Unpredictability is good.

Yes, I was so happy that it turned out the way it did.  I also liked the scenes way more than I thought I would.  That mortified look on Daphne and her friend's face when everyone was making out was hilarious.  Also, what 8th graders drink wine... they would so have been going for the liquor.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I honestly don't think Scarlett should even try to be famous. She's talented, sure, but she seems super uncomfortable in the spot light, she freaks out at getting bad press, hates when people pay attention to her, doesn't understand why fans like her, and generally acts more like a wilting flower than a music star.

This. So very much this. I don't understand why she wants to be famous (which her actions indicate that she does) if she's going to an emotional breakdown every single time something doesn't go her way.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

Richard Lee Jackson! Thanks for the heads up. I am old enough that I remember him from Saved By the Bell: the New Class, and always wondered what happened to him. Now I have to go back and watch that scene!

I love Avery's music, but I've never been a country fan, and that may be why.

Actually, Richard is in more than one scene.  He's shown playing drums behind J several times and again when they're in the bar.  I believe he has a line or two; I'll have to go back and watch again too.  What a shame. HaHa!

Avery's music away from the show isn't country ..... it's rock.  Someone else described it as bluesy rock and that's a good description.  So don't expect country if you see him in person or buy his CDs.

Speaking of which ..... yesterday Jonathan and Richard were at one of our local Barnes & Noble bookdstores signing their new CD and meeting everybody.  I chose not to go because I knew it would be pretty crowded. Have I mentioned I've also run into him at his restaurant "Jack and Jamesons" just outside of Nashville?  I love this town.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, slasherboy said:

Actually, Richard is in more than one scene.  He's shown playing drums behind J several times and again when they're in the bar.  I believe he has a line or two; I'll have to go back and watch again too.  What a shame. HaHa!

Yeah! He's the guy who tells Avery he's hitting the wrong color in darts. Once I knew to look for him, I spotted him in that scene right away. He looks good - less blond!

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 6:09 PM, slasherboy said:

I live in Nashville and have seen Jonathan Jackson perform several times ... including FREE in Centennial Park on occasion.  I also work as a background actor on "Nashville" and have been lucky (see what I did there?) to see him lots of times during filming.

It's rock.  Nothing religious about it.  EXTREMELY GOOD!  EXTREMELY!  Very high energy with him all over the stage.  His brother, cutie Richard, plays drums for him.  In fact, he was the drummer behind Avery during Avery's show.

His fan base is widely varied.  My aunt is 63 and she can't get enough of his music.  My nephew is 15 and he's also a big Avery fan.

Cool, thanks. We just might have to go. he's so pretty. My significant other is just a couple years older than JJ (i'm 10+ years older than both) so I don't really feel squicky about crushing on him, except when I recall him as that adorable little boy on GH. 

I actually think, tho I understood why Scarlett and Gunnar would find it initially a bad idea, that the crib idea for the commercial is a little bit genius. A way to mitigate the 'scandal' of the baby not being Gunnar's in a really open way, to invite the fans into the enlightenment that Gunnar is still in her life even tho he's not the baby daddy. But it's Scarlett, so  I also don't care. She needs meds and counseling and to  stay out of the spotlight, she is the biggest saddo/emo around, and she's boring on top of it. 

On 7/14/2017 at 6:09 PM, slasherboy said:

You were on set? How cool is that! What was JJ like on set? Did you get a sense of his personality or work-style? Did you get a chance to talk to him?

BTW, Richard was in a third scene at the very end where Avery is talking to the bartender after last call. You can see Richard walk past with an arm around a girl, clearly headed up to his hotel room.

• Love 1

Yes, I've been on set many times working as a background actor.  Yes, I've talked with Jonathan quite a few times and each time was better than before.  No, I didn't get a sense of his personality or work-style other than to say he's quiet and is more likely to stay off to himself than get involved with others when he's not in a scene.  Soft-spoken for the most part.  Very gracious and polite, and that smile.  Not that he was stand-off-ish.  It wasn't that at all.  I got the sense there was a lot of his mind.  Each time we met I got a hug.

Richard is great too.  I talked to him several times as well.  Lovely men, both.

• Love 5

I met Jonathan at a meet and greet and he gave me a hug too! Nice guy, but very tiny. I'm 5'6 and he was shorter than me. As far as the show: the parts with Deacon were so well written and acted. You could see his grief and his confusion at what do to and how to feel at the auction. I also loved the song he dedicated to Rayna. I can't deal with Scarlett too much longer. When the show started she was smiling and mostly cheerful with the occasional break down. Now she is glum and frowning all the time. I honestly don't see why Gunnar would want a relationship with her, especially since she is likely to run back to baby daddy at the first opportunity.

I also cannot stand the media girl. I guess she is known to other people but I haven't seen her before. I have seen this on other TV shows: A young person is hired to bring in media ideas/exposure and immediately starts running the company. This would never happen in real life. In real life she propose ideas, not demand them ad she would not have the final word on how successful country artists run their business. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I met Jonathan at a meet and greet and he gave me a hug too! Nice guy, but very tiny. I'm 5'6 and he was shorter than me. As far as the show: the parts with Deacon were so well written and acted. You could see his grief and his confusion at what do to and how to feel at the auction. I also loved the song he dedicated to Rayna. I can't deal with Scarlett too much longer. When the show started she was smiling and mostly cheerful with the occasional break down. Now she is glum and frowning all the time. I honestly don't see why Gunnar would want a relationship with her, especially since she is likely to run back to baby daddy at the first opportunity.

I also cannot stand the media girl. I guess she is known to other people but I haven't seen her before. I have seen this on other TV shows: A young person is hired to bring in media ideas/exposure and immediately starts running the company. This would never happen in real life. In real life she propose ideas, not demand them ad she would not have the final word on how successful country artists run their business. 

That's one reason why I liked Avery with Juliette so much--they both looked like they went together in terms of size and cuteness. I didn't know he was that short, though!

I agree with you about the media girl. She seems pretty clueless about people in a non-endearing way.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Dreaming My Dreams with You - Deacon Claybourne

No One Cares About Your Dreams - Avery Jackson

I can't help it - I had to laugh at the juxtaposition of these two songs in this post. :)

• Love 8