Type keyword(s) to search

This Is the Awards Thread

• Start Topic

Yes! I sent all the good Juju and my man WON! My Randall won, yo! I told all y'all! 

I screamed so loud my neighbors likely thought I was being murdered. But it was worth it.

On 9/15/2017 at 6:27 AM, JudyObscure said:

I would rather have my teen age daughter see Kim on "Better Call Saul," as a role model over any woman I've seen on Network TV, "This is Us," included.

Including Beth?

• Love 2

Well, I made the horrendous decision to watch the Packers game instead of the Emmys, but I'm glad to see that Sterling won and....that's it for this show.  (And I'm happy for The Handmaid's Tale's wins and ecstatic for John Lithgow's win....)

• Love 1

Yay for Sterling, but how f'ing rude to play him off.  Seriously Emmys?

Anyway.......

awesome speech (what we were allowed to hear), his wife was adorable, and judging by the audience reaction, Sterling is really well liked.  

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Yay for Sterling, but how f'ing rude to play him off.  Seriously Emmys?

Especially since they let Nicole Kidman go on and on while she pretended she only has two children.

I've made no secret that I wanted Matthew Rhys to win, but I'm not mad about Sterling winning. He's by far the best actor on the show.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:
On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:27 AM, JudyObscure said:

I would rather have my teen age daughter see Kim on "Better Call Saul," as a role model over any woman I've seen on Network TV, "This is Us," included.

Including Beth?

Yes.  I really like Beth, although I think she can be a little too much sometime, like calling her mother-in-law and telling her off, but really they're both good role models.  Kim, however, had been put through quite a few hard situations and tough moral decisions that she's had to handle without any friends or family around to support her. Usually strong women on TV are played as outspoken, bold, maybe a little bossy or even a touch ruthless.  Kim plays, "strong woman," on a deeper, quieter level, having to reach inside herself for strength. 

7 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Especially since they let Nicole Kidman go on and on while she pretended she only has two children.

I wasn't sure I even heard that right.  She didn't mention the older ones who are with Tom?   Doesn't she know they'll be watching and that nothing is their fault? How awful!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I wasn't sure I even heard that right.  She didn't mention the older ones who are with Tom?   Doesn't she know they'll be watching and that nothing is their fault? How awful!

My understanding is that her children have disconnected with her due to their involvement in Scientology and were basically conditioned to hate their mother since the divorce. It's very sad and I'm not going to begin to throw stones at Nicole for not mentioning them in her speech. I'm sure it's been incredibly hard for her over the years. Unfortunately getting out of Scientology comes with a price, and for many it is the loss of any family members still involved with it, as they are not supposed to interact with "suppressive people". 

Thrilled for Sterling's win! So well deserved. I wish that they hadn't played him off - it's one thing when someone is just droning on and on and doing the "laundry list" of thanks, but when someone truly has something to say - for god's sake let them say it!

• Love 9
49 minutes ago, MsNewsradio said:

Unfortunately getting out of Scientology comes with a price, and for many it is the loss of any family members still involved with it, as they are not supposed to interact with "suppressive people". 

I understand that Scientology explains why her children have quit communicating with her, but not why she has quit reaching out to them. Surely she is free to say their names and it would be an ideal moment to send her love.

57 minutes ago, MsNewsradio said:

Thrilled for Sterling's win! So well deserved. I wish that they hadn't played him off - it's one thing when someone is just droning on and on and doing the "laundry list" of thanks, but when someone truly has something to say - for god's sake let them say it!

They almost always save the biggest moment, in this case, "Best Actor in a Drama" for last, which means that person might be cut short because the show's air time is up.  It's the price he pays for winning the top award.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I understand that Scientology explains why her children have quit communicating with her, but not why she has quit reaching out to them. Surely she is free to say their names and it would be an ideal moment to send her love.

They almost always save the biggest moment, in this case, "Best Actor in a Drama" for last, which means that person might be cut short because the show's air time is up.  It's the price he pays for winning the top award.

Re Nicole Kidman: Her speech was to thank those who gave her the award.  If her children have disowned ("disconnected" in Scientology Speak) her, it's hardly surprising that they didn't feature in her inspiration and support to have done the acting she did to receive the Emmy.  The Cult of Scientology had probably forbidden them to watch their mother anyway, or they are so full of hate and disdain for her that they wouldn't want to watch, so that message would not have reached them anyway.

I just wanted to say that because unless you've been in that situation, you may not understand the number it does on your mind to be disowned by your own parents or children.

Anyway, I'm glad Sterling K. Brown won an Emmy for his part in TIU!  Congratulations!

• Love 8

Not to derail the topic, but I thought Nicole's point was that she hasn't been home to tuck her kids into bed and now they know why.  Since the older two are grown, they don't have that issue.  Also, they are old enough now to decide whether to re-engage so no more "it wasn't their fault."  No, it wasn't then but now it is their choice.  Finally, she ended her speech talking about domestic abuse.  No one wants to be the one who plays off that topic.  

Sterling's speech was sweet, but he started it off with jokes (e.g., Webster reference) so they were probably ready to shut it down before he got to the good stuff.

Edited by Crs97
  • Love 4
On 9/15/2017 at 4:27 AM, JudyObscure said:

That's definitely not why I've watched the cable shows that I've loved like ,"Better call Saul," or "Mad Men," in fact neither of those shows had much if any of that.  I agree with you, the violence and nudity is one of the reasons I haven't followed some of the cable shows that have received high ratings.  I'm not a prude but I do have limits of what I'm comfortable with.  Many of the network shows are  wholesome entertainment, though, regardless of the amount of language or violence. Many of their sit-coms are one stupid sexual innuendo after another and the reality shows like Big Brother show bad behavior rewarded over and over. Cable is certainly not all bad though and the writing is often far superior.  I would rather have my teen age daughter see Kim on "Better Call Saul," as a role model over any woman I've seen on Network TV, "This is Us," included.

Maybe the  best writers are drawn to cable because they don't have the restrictions broadcast has.  So it's not that they're dying to write graphic violence, sex and language, but they prefer to not be censored.  I would prefer it.  And I assume cable pays better.  I think the networks must hire interns to write or pay peanuts or something, given the crap that's churned out.  Though I guess they're just writing to the masses, who would rather watch 'housewives' fake-fight than actually think about something deeper like in The Handmaid's Tale or any good cable drama.

On 9/17/2017 at 9:02 PM, chocolatine said:

I've made no secret that I wanted Matthew Rhys to win, but I'm not mad about Sterling winning. He's by far the best actor on the show.

She bugs me.  Though I'm glad she finally wore a bright colored dress instead of those awful, colorless gowns she's usually so enamored of, that make her look like a jellyfish.

I think Sterling is the only one who deserved even a nom from the main cast.  I thought BT Henry was brilliant, too, given how non-Paper Boi he was.  And I think teen Randall is a star.  

48 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Maybe the  best writers are drawn to cable because they don't have the restrictions broadcast has.  So it's not that they're dying to write graphic violence, sex and language, but they prefer to not be censored.  I would prefer it.  And I assume cable pays better.  I think the networks must hire interns to write or pay peanuts or something, given the crap that's churned out.  Though I guess they're just writing to the masses, who would rather watch 'housewives' fake-fight than actually think about something deeper like in The Handmaid's Tale or any good cable drama.

Taking this to the small talk thread

So, here are the Emmy nominations for the show this year, including:

• This Is Us for Best Drama
  • Milo Ventimiglia and Sterling Brown for Best Actor
  • Mandy Moore for Best Actress
  • Chris Sullivan for Best Supporting Actor
  • Michael Angarana and Ron Cephas Jones for Best Guest Actor
  • Phylicia Rashad for Best Guest Actress

And none for Justin Hartley (AGAIN).

• Love 3
(edited)

Or for Watson. She was crowded out by all of those Games of Thrones actresses. 

It is too bad Griffin Dunne missed out on the Guest Actor list. 

I am THRILLED for Mandy. 

Edited by memememe76
  • Love 6
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

It's been so long I forget which episode Ron Cephas was in and his performance. I remember Michael Anagarana and Phylicia Rashad's. Justin Hartley should have received a nomination, too.

Edited by Arcadiasw
  • Love 6
46 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

Or for Watson. She was crowded out by all of those Games of Thrones actresses. 

So true. I guess it's probably better for her (and Hartley, I guess) to miss out this year. GOT won't be eligible next year, so that will give them more of a fighting chance.

• Love 3

It's only been a few months, but I honestly can't recall an episode that Ron Cephas Jones was in, let alone that deserved an Emmy-nomination. The apartment painting of the woman, maybe? I love him, & think he's stellar every second on-screen, but no way should he have been nominated for an episode/s that I can't even recall, when Griffin Dunne was a standout in several, & wasn't nominated, & to me, he was the co-MVP this season, next to JH's Kevin. I also thought SKB wasn't "on" this year, as much as I love him, & I'm struggling to remember very many episodes that showcased Milo. JH should've been nominated. Also, Susan's Beth finally got an episode, & finally got more of a storyline, & she was snubbed, too. I'm not very impressed with the nominations this year. 

• Love 3
On 7/16/2019 at 12:14 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I am happy for those who are nominated, but I am disappointed that Justin Hartley got over-looked, he had strong scenes and good inter-actions with other actors.  

• Love 6

It's great that the show got so many noms. Very few of the regular network ahows/actors did. There honestly isn't much reason to watch this year - I haven't seen the majority of the shows. Jeez, I haven't even heard of a few of them. 

• Love 3

Critics' Choice Award nominations!

Best Drama Series

Best Actor in a Drama Series – Sterling K. Brown

Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series – Asante Blackk

Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series – Justin Hartley

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series – Susan Kelechi Watson

• Love 2

I don't understand why Sterling K Brown is up for "Best Actor," and Justin Hartley, "Best Supporting Actor."  I think Sterling deserved his win in the past, but this seemed like Justin's year to me and his part seemed just as "starring" a role.

• Love 5
On 12/12/2019 at 8:08 AM, JudyObscure said:

I don't understand why Sterling K Brown is up for "Best Actor," and Justin Hartley, "Best Supporting Actor."  I think Sterling deserved his win in the past, but this seemed like Justin's year to me and his part seemed just as "starring" a role.

Shows seem to nominate characters in the categories where they have the greatest chance of winning. I agree that there is no logic to these nominations. 

As for the critics, I don't understand how Asante Black (though I do think he has promise) should have been nominated.

Also, surprising that the show did not even get a nomination for the SAG awards after winning it two years in a row. I do understand that the competition is tougher this year. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

As I've said before, actors are nominated in categories where they have the best chance to win. Thus, SKB in best actor, JH in best supporting actor, even though they seem to have equal screen time and storylines. I think it is unfair, but this is a business decision, not necessarily logical. 

SKB is nominated every year in most awards shows even though, IMO, he doesn't always deserve it. Justin has been doing stellar work the past couple of years and really should be recognized. 

They both did get Critic Choice nominations this month, again SKB in best actor and JH in supporting.

• Love 2