Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E08: Week 8: Hometown Dates

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

He brought Rachel to play dominoes with some old men, they did some salsa dancing and walked around a local street. The only person from his family who really said anything from what we were shown was his mother who yes, she seemed the overly invested and clingy parent but she also I thought, gave both him and Rachel good and reasonable advice about the reality of marriage. Am I missing something? Sleazy, icky and strange? Okay then.

I´ve never seen Bryan as sleazy and strange (although I´m grossed out by their constant kissing), until he met her for their date this week. I´m basing this opinion mostly on the way he creeped me out, he just seemed like such a loser. I don´t know what the change was, it was just something I saw. All my senses have been way off during this whole season, so maybe he was charming her ass off and looked really good, but I just felt like he had turned from a suave, sexy guy into a really sad, weird dude... Almost all the dates Rachel goes on seem really fun, and the particular activities you mentioned were not the reason for my dislike of their date.

• Love 1

I'm a huge Peter fan but I don't dislike Bryan. I don't find him attractive and for some reason I have zero sense of his personality. Maybe it's all the kissing ? IDK. He should have brought to his chiropractic clinic or something to show his personality. And as someone who has been married for 22 years and has a MIL from hell-move far away! I have been a devoted daughter in law since day one and my MIL has never said a nice word about or to me. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, waving feather said:

"You have gone out with so many girls; and you go to a show, and you fall in love, with the girl of the show?!" was the line of the episode and she nailed the whole premise of the Bachelor franchise. I would watch Bryan's mom on TV.

Don't some bachelors and bachelorettes do reality shows with their partners after the show has ended?  If Rachel picks Bryan and they do a show, mama has to be a part of it.  Real Mothers In Law of Miami.

• Love 2
Just now, Madding crowd said:

I'm a huge Peter fan but I don't dislike Bryan. I don't find him attractive and for some reason I have zero sense of his personality. Maybe it's all the kissing ? IDK. He should have brought to his chiropractic clinic or something to show his personality. And as someone who has been married for 22 years and has a MIL from hell-move far away! I have been a devoted daughter in law since day one and my MIL has never said a nice word about or to me. 

godbless!!  20 years of marriage here ,but my MIL resided in India unfortunately she passed away. I did however have a friend with a MIL who thought she was going to rule the roost, and what shut her down was my friends husband. He told his Mom that he will not disrespect his wife and backed it up. They are doing great! They've been married 16 years and have 4 beautiful girls.  If Bryan does not step up to his Mom (or move as you did) it is not going to work. Not that it would work anyway, in this manufactured 90 day fiance' set up......

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Pachengala said:

I want to root for Eric for Rachel, I really do, but the problem is, he's just not cute. He looks exactly like She's All That-era Dulé Hill and I can't get there for it. Mileage varies, obviously, but that is not a handsome man

Ok. So Dulé Hill elwas a just about perfect analogy.  And I tend to agree with you on Eric.  Then I heard he is hotter with a beard so I went to Instagram to check it out.  https://instagram.com/p/BVF5pAZjy4a/

He still wont be everyone's cup if tea, but Damn.  I think Bearded Eric is HOT.  

IMG_2387.PNG

• Love 8
14 hours ago, Pachengala said:

I want to root for Eric for Rachel, I really do, but the problem is, he's just not cute. He looks exactly like She's All That-era Dulé Hill and I can't get there for it. Mileage varies, obviously, but that is not a handsome man (to me! Don't @ me!), especially since he's up against Peter, who a) looks like my man-crush Sebastian Stan and b) might be the best looking man ever to live in my television. 

(Not even going to speak to Chip n' Dale Cheeks and his mommy issues because NO.) 

Everything's been said about the awful bit of exploitation that was young Dean's hometown date so I'll just say this; Rachel acquitted herself terribly and showed Dean through her actions that she wouldn't be on his team when shit got real. He's better off. Godspeed, little guy.

Sebastian Stan is my man!  I'm right there with you.  But I do think Dule Hill is cute too.  Just not as cute as Seb's older and night quite as handsome brother Peter.  lol

• Love 1
3 hours ago, fib said:

Ok. So Dulé Hill elwas a just about perfect analogy.  And I tend to agree with you on Eric.  Then I heard he is hotter with a beard so I went to Instagram to check it out.  https://instagram.com/p/BVF5pAZjy4a/

He still wont be everyone's cup if tea, but Damn.  I think Bearded Eric is HOT.  

IMG_2387.PNG

Yeah, I'm such a cliche but you put a beard on someone and I'm automatically here for it. Add in that he's apparently a feminist? Apologies Eric, apologies! 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, halkatla said:

I´ve never seen Bryan as sleazy and strange (although I´m grossed out by their constant kissing), until he met her for their date this week. I´m basing this opinion mostly on the way he creeped me out, he just seemed like such a loser. I don´t know what the change was, it was just something I saw. All my senses have been way off during this whole season, so maybe he was charming her ass off and looked really good, but I just felt like he had turned from a suave, sexy guy into a really sad, weird dude... 

It was that weird creepy old man nylon-look shirt, I think. Made the hairs on my neck stand up!

• Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, deSchenke said:

Emily didn't have family there for the hometown date.  Melissa didn't either.  I can't figure out how or why Dean was forced to.  He obviously didn't want any part of reuniting with his dad.  Couldn't he have just gotten together with his siblings?

I'm not sure about Emily's parents, but Melissa's flat-out refused to appear - there was nothing the show could have done there. But if a contestant's family is willing to appear and TPTB think there's drama to be mined, they're going to feature the family whether or not the contestant wants them to. 

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I believe the OP was just referring to Eric's pink hat that says "women over everything".

Exactly! Obviously I'm inferring from limited info, but it's as good a guess as anything given the hat.

On 7/19/2017 at 2:25 PM, JenMcSnark said:

Hey now, I love me some Morris Day!! lol

Morris??/....not to date!!  Billy Ocean..well I do like an older man, especially one that can spit a ballad, but that was a little much.  You guys are hilarious.  Clearly my type is the "tortured souls" who have issues....(like Prince).  I also have a penchant for bad boys....and like a little pretty.  Prince always struck me as the type that would rock my world so much that we wouldn't leave the house for days......

On 7/21/2017 at 0:29 AM, Pachengala said:

I want to root for Eric for Rachel, I really do, but the problem is, he's just not cute. He looks exactly like She's All That-era Dulé Hill and I can't get there for it. Mileage varies, obviously, but that is not a handsome man (to me! Don't @ me!), especially since he's up against Peter, who a) looks like my man-crush Sebastian Stan and b) might be the best looking man ever to live in my television. 

(Not even going to speak to Chip n' Dale Cheeks and his mommy issues because NO.) 

Everything's been said about the awful bit of exploitation that was young Dean's hometown date so I'll just say this; Rachel acquitted herself terribly and showed Dean through her actions that she wouldn't be on his team when shit got real. He's better off. Godspeed, little guy.

Peter is equivalent to Jack Stone to me in that he looks better in still photos than he does when he is actually live.   He doesn't, however, creep me out like Jack did and he still doesn't look as bad live as Jack did....and is slightly more attractive than Sebastian Stan, but hey, Sebastian speaks another language, so he earns points for that. 

Ha, ha, Dule Hill, but sooo accurate!!  I see it clearly now!  Eric looks much better with a beard, but still like a baby. 

Bryan perplexes me because I love men with dark hair and who speak another language, but he leaves me cold.  His hair , his face, and something about the way he cocks his head (the haircut)  and is always running his tongue across his lips grosses me out.  I can't figure out why he is not appealing to me. 

Dean is angelic looking, but I can't get past the teeth.  He talks while smiling, and it is a little creepy to me.  Although I agree he has issues and needs growth, he also showed a lot of maturity. 

Don't know who said it, but  I agree with the Oprah-Rachel.  I get that Oprah interviewing vibe when she is talking  to the men and  that she has to force herself or drink too much to have let loose and have  "fun."  I honestly to not get "romance" when I am watching her with any of the guys..but then again I typically skip the Bryan parts, so who knows?  

On 7/21/2017 at 10:25 AM, deSchenke said:

"I must be a pretty great dad because look how you turned out!" was something the dad also said that rubbed me the wrong way.  It seemed that Dean, his siblings, and the father stated that they all withdrew from each other and then for dad to take credit for how Dean turned out seemed ludicrous.

I did think it sweet and genuine when the feathers were presented to Dean and Rachel in honor of his mother.  So there was that.

Emily didn't have family there for the hometown date.  Melissa didn't either.  I can't figure out how or why Dean was forced to.  He obviously didn't want any part of reuniting with his dad.  Couldn't he have just gotten together with his siblings?

Because they knew it was going to be a train wreck and wanted to show that for ratings.   I have been told that Dean was on some show giving and interview and said that they did go and meet some of his close friends and spent time with them, but for ABC that was going to be explosive enough in a season that has already exploited so many things, so they chose to focus on the family drama instead. 

1 hour ago, catrice2 said:

Morris??/....not to date!!  Billy Ocean..well I do like an older man, especially one that can spit a ballad, but that was a little much.  You guys are hilarious.  Clearly my type is the "tortured souls" who have issues....(like Prince).  I also have a penchant for bad boys....and like a little pretty.  Prince always struck me as the type that would rock my world so much that we wouldn't leave the house for days......

El DeBarge?  I give up.  LOL

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

El DeBarge?  I give up.  LOL

@Catrice2, I too liked a little bad boy mixed with pretty in the 80s, so my secret crush of shame is *whispers* Duran Duran. All of them. Except Andy. Is that it?

Edited by JoBeth70
Oops
  • Love 2
(edited)
18 hours ago, JoBeth70 said:

@Catrice2, I too liked a little bad boy mixed with pretty in the 80s, so my secret crush of shame is *whispers* Duran Duran. All of them. Except Andy. Is that it?

They had charisma and they were one of my favorite bands....but I was never attracted to any of them physically, although back then I think Andy is the only one I thought was somewhat attractive.   I did, however, love Robert Palmer in a suit!  He had one of those "lived in" faces....know what I mean? 

It may have been John Taylor...which one was in Power Station 

Edited by catrice2
Add info
7 hours ago, catrice2 said:

They had charisma and they were one of my favorite bands....but I was never attracted to any of them physically, although back then I think Andy is the only one I thought was somewhat attractive.   I did, however, love Robert Palmer in a suit!  He had one of those "lived in" faces....know what I mean? 

It may have been John Taylor...which one was in Power Station 

John Taylor was in Power Station, as was Andy Taylor, I think.

35 minutes ago, JoBeth70 said:

John Taylor was in Power Station, as was Andy Taylor, I think.

A quick Google search shows that it was John that I thought was sort of attractive.  I was all over the place in the 80's, but let me stress that they were all 

WAY older than me! 

El Debarge--- Um NO!! Wayyyy too skinny!   

On 7/21/2017 at 9:46 AM, Madding crowd said:

Mine has never said anything nice either. I tried, but at my age I dont care anymore. I'm a strong woman, something my MIL hated( hates) so  my husband comes first. My family knows that, and loves him

I think Rach has three very different men. Peter cant commit, sweet Eric, who has never been in love and Bryan. I think Bryan tried really hard tonight, and I can see why, if you are falling in love with someone, you wantt everyone to love him, or her

Funny, Peters parents only knew one another for 4 weeks, and married. ( shrug)

• Love 1
On 7/19/2017 at 6:49 PM, JenMcSnark said:

I have to weigh in on Bryan's mom a little bit.  Both my niece and a good friend have MIL similar to Bryan's mom to varying degrees.  

My niece's husband is wonderful.  They bought property next door to his parents which is about 45 minutes from my brother and his wife.  They hae been married for almost 17 years and only recently has her husband started to stand up to his mother about sharing "family time" such as Sunday dinners and holidays with my niece's parents.  His mom demanded that almost all holidays be spent with them (even before they moved into the home they built on the property).  Her parents get Easter.  No lie. My niece argued about this at first as she is extremely close to her family (her husband loves her family as well) but it just wasn't worth the trouble between them in her mind.  Because it was a lot of ugly drama in the early days. 

My good friend got married very quickly (within 5 months) to a complete mama's boy who spoke of her son just like Bryan's mom.  They were divorced after a very ugly 2 years as there was no room for compromise in his mom's mind and he could not/would not argue against his beloved mother.  

"Sam" is a really, really nice guy, but he just can not stand up to his mother and, frankly, doesn't see why he should.  He always said that she knew how his mother felt when they got married, so she shouldn't expect him to compromise.  Mama is THE most important thing. 

So to me, it is a huge red flag the way that Bryan's mom and sister (?) were talking and acting.  I would not want that for myself or my daughter unless there were clear boundaries set up and agreed to by all at the get go.  Maybe Bryan and Rachel can do this, but I personally don't think it's going to change how Bryan's mom will react to the boundaries.  

She will  more than likely be like my niece's MIL who fights to have her son with her instead of recognizing that any compromise could be had especially with the families living so close.  She will not even allow a Christmas Eve/Christmas Day split.  My nephew-IL and his children MUST be at her house.  And don't even think about both families getting together at my nephew-IL/niece's house!  My niece's family must not come to their house on holidays since she expects everyone to be at her house.  

She is friendly with my brother and his wife.  My family invites them to things and they do hang out together informally from time to time such as at the kid's events.  Just not on holidays and Sunday evenings. 

In my opinion, Bryan's mother is "lethal" to any marriage he may have except to a really submissive, low-wattage woman who simply wants a "husband."  Also, Bryan's mother doesn't know anything about "boundaries" and, in fact, I don't believe she can even conceptualize such a thing!  She simply wants her devoted son attached to her hip and if he has the right "type" of wife who bears him children, so she can create future Bryan's, that would be ideal to Olga.  Not sure how Rachel can overcome this obstacle and hope she doesn't pick him in the end.

• Love 5