Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Cry Havoc

• Start Topic

I bet Pope is going to set that church on fire. Seeing the heavy duty crime scene team arrive may have unnerved him.

Looks like Deran walked up on what appears to be a protection racket. "Nice bar you got here. Hate to see anything bad happen to it."

Craig's father?! That explains a lot. Smurf's crafty genes apparently weren't strong enough to overcome the baby daddy's stupidity genes.

Is hijacking someone's bodily fluids in order to pass a medical check for your job a thing on TV now? This was the second show this week where I've seen that used as a plot point.

Nicky is like a case of lice that keeps getting passed back and forth between J and Craig.

Oh it's on now. Smurf is gonna kill Javi so hard he'll die from it.

• Love 3

Was it the angle or my imagination, but didn't it look like Pope was about to kiss Smurf when he was releasing her from the TV mount in the motel room? He got right up in her face - I actually said "what is going on here?" out loud.

I was so hoping that Nikki was going to end up as a murder victim, but no such luck.  Let's see how long Craig can keep it together on the new job before drugs or his own stupidity get in the way.

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Artsda said:

I was hoping that Javi was keeping Nikki or was going to kill her.  But then nope, nothing.

I actually liked Nikki for the first time this episode.  She acted semi reasonable considering that she knew where the guns where and that these aren't the people who call the cops ever. 

Its interesting that Deran is taking such a stand on keeping his bar legitimate even against his brother's who all but figured he was just using it as a front for money laundering.  I don't think Baz or Pope even considered that Deran would do anything else.

It will be interesting to see Deran go up against the guy running the protection racket.

Baz is a douche.  Yeah Pope picked the exact wrong girl to have a relationship with but he could have handled it better.  I don't think Baz respects any of his brothers.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Raja said:

Javi puts pressure on Smurf so she enlists J for help. Baz faces a secret that was kept hidden by Catherine.

What was the secret Catherine kept hidden?

I'm kind of perplexed on how Smurf wasn't able to free her self from the wall mount. He tied one arm only and if she pulled hard enough, I'm sure she could have yanked the tv off the wall.  Also, do tv cables make that tight of a grip?

All in all, great episode. Finn Cole did an excellent acting job.

• Love 2
(edited)

Maybe I missed something but Smurf said the street where Nikki was dumped is where they buried Javi's father, but wasn't the funeral her and J went to for Javi's father?

No, the funeral was for Manny - the guy who apparently took Smurf in and taught her everything he knew about pulling jobs. Javi and his father worked with them. 

This episode turned really dark really fast. At this point, J's an idiot if he doesn't get as far away from these people as his hobbled leg will carry him. Take his cut and run, put himself through school and never look back.

It will be interesting to see Deran go up against the guy really naming the protection racket.

I think Deran will be able to handle this. That guy looked pretty white collar, he has no idea the kind of family Deran is from. Don't forget how easily Deran took care of Adrian's new boyfriend. Hope that neighborhood association guy knows how to swim!

Was it the angle or my imagination, but didn't it look like Pope was about to kiss Smurf when he was releasing her from the TV mount in the motel room? He got right up in her face - I actually said "what is going on here?" out loud.

I know - that was weird. They do that a lot with Smurf and her sons though.

Is hijacking someone's bodily fluids in order to pass a medical check for your job a thing on TV now?

I don't know but that cracked me up. "Don't be a dick, I'll give you 20 bucks." LOL.

Craig's father?! That explains a lot. 

So that was the guy she met with back in Season 1. I raised that question during the funeral episode, but the actor playing Jake isn't listed for any Season 1 episodes, so now I'm wondering if it's a different actor than the one who met with Smurf on the beach back in Season 1. 

What was the secret Catherine kept hidden?

She had 22 grand hidden away, meaning she was preparing to skip town. And her friend the cop knew about it, whereas Baz did not. I don't know if this will convince him she just skipped town, or it will clue him into the idea someone in his family might have offed her after finding out she was talking to this cop and getting ready to leave.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 3

Holy crap, that got intense super fast! Poor J, he needs to get out as fast as he possibly can. I don't think he will though, he's so starved for affection he will just stay with his awful, crazy family as long as they keep giving him the occasional moment of validation. I have to say, I'm no fan of Nikki, but she did at least show a bit of sense in going for the hidden guns, and she did at least TRY to help J instead of hiding or trying to run. Granted, it didn't go very well, but I give her credit for at least making an attempt. For all she thinks the criminal lifestyle is exciting and cool and clearly has a thing for bad boys, this life is actually pretty freaking dangerous and scary, and she just got a mouthful of it.

I don't think the protection racket guy has any idea whos he's screwing with, trying to squeeze Deran out of more money. Deran might be trying to inch towards being legit with his bar, but he's still a lifelong career criminal, going up against this white collar looking guy who I'm pretty sure would fold with a few good hits to the face. I assume white collar guy just assumes Deran is a dumb surfer bum taking on a bar with money he's saved up to supplement his sports stuff, and has no clue who he or his family is, or what they get up to. He might be a pain, but his biggest threat could be drawing unwanted attention to the family's actual crimes.

I give Craig three days before he screws up his new job. The guy is like a constant Darwin Award Contender.

I so thought Pope and Smurf were going to kiss for a second. This family...

• Love 6
4 hours ago, patty1h said:

I was so hoping that Nikki was going to end up as a murder victim, but no such luck.  Let's see how long Craig can keep it together on the new job before drugs or his own stupidity get in the way.

The way that the conversation was going before Smurf shut down when hearing the address made me feel that Nikki was raped by Javier's boys.

Seeing that Craig's job is on the yacht that was passed on in favor of the church job makes me think that the professional thief in him keeps him working until the real job is set up.

I don't think the show would introduce the collection guy if it was going to be that easy to get rid of him.  My guess is he will be a pest for Deran who will continue to play it straight but his brother's or Smurf will use it as an excuse to infringe on his business.  Either that or the stress coming at him from all directions will eventually have Deran act out and do something he can't take back and ruin his chance at legitimacy in the most violent and messy way possible. 

• Love 2

Poor J, he needs to get out as fast as he possibly can. I don't think he will though, he's so starved for affection he will just stay with his awful, crazy family as long as they keep giving him the occasional moment of validation. 

He is constantly seeking approval, from both "the boys" and from Smurf. It's odd. I don't know what it is about him - maybe just that he's never had anybody because his mother was a drug addict. He keeps telling Baz and Smurf he can do more. You'd think between the leg injury and now this serious beat-down he'd get a clue, but more likely he'll just double down on a Cody-type response to all of this.

• Love 2

Last season it seemed as though J was just going along with the family for his own survival.  He may have felt a certain family loyalty, as he said on the last episode of the first season, but he also must have realized that he would be implicated and possibly charged with felonies in the last two of the family crimes and that he could not trust either the cops or the teacher.  Now this season it seems as though he may in fact be tempted to become a part of the family business.  Having grown up without anything, the cars, house and toys of the Codys must be appealing and Smurf promises to let him in where she did not let in the uncles.  He certainly is expected to miss a lot of school, though he is still doing his endless math/science homework around the house. He seems to share the recklessness of his uncles.

In this episode, however, he learns the downside to the lifestyle.  An injury for which he cannot seek medical attention is bad enough, but now he finds himself beaten and nearly drowned by Javi and the gang. He (mostly) held up to the beatings until Nicki is discovered, telling only about the "small" amounts in the shoebox and behind the dryer   Ahh! but then Nicki is found;  he still cares about her, still wants to protect her from the crime world she actually wanted to join.  I think Nicki may now have sobered up about the world she thought she wanted...Jay I think has known all along that his life was on the line.

The protection racket run by the white collar guy...an interesting new plot device.  Maybe Mr. Nice Guy is not really so nice, though he is probably unaware of Deran's potential resources.  Surprise! Craig sets his own favored job in motion...at a really terrible moment for everyone else.

Now that Baz realizes that the cop both knew Catherine and knew about her bank accoun, will this lead him to suspect Smurf of her murder?  If Baz knows that Pope burned Catherine's parents' house to the ground, he is likely to move from Smurf on to Pope as a suspect.  However, he may also wonder where the money came from....maybe he will suspect her of being a snitch.

It looks as though the focus of the family is now badly divided:  Jay, (maybe Nicki,) Smurf and Pope will be seearching for Javi and his boys, Craig and Deran will be working on Deran's bar and Craig's caper, and Baz is now worried about potenially being charged with Ctherine's murder.  

This show has me riveted...

• Love 4

So the cell was left there for her to call Smurf? 

On a side note,  how is Craig a product of Smurf and that guy?  I would think maybe Deran would be more believable.  Not that anyone of them are less or more attractive since it's all a matter of opinion but just saying the physical features are different.

I wish more people watched this show.  I only know one other person who has heard of it.

I don't see why J can't seek medical attention for his wound.  He doesn't have to be truthful about it; there's a multitude of excuses he could use.  Clinics don't keep DNA samples; he wouldn't be traced.  He could even go far out of town.  It's far more important to get it properly treated rather than gamble on sepsis and gangrene.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

I don't see why J can't seek medical attention for his wound.  He doesn't have to be truthful about it; there's a multitude of excuses he could use.  Clinics don't keep DNA samples; he wouldn't be traced.  He could even go far out of town.  It's far more important to get it properly treated rather than gamble on sepsis and gangrene.

Agree.  But on the show they keep saying he cannot go to an urgent care.  I feel sure he could come  with a good cover story.

12 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Craig's father?! That explains a lot. Smurf's crafty genes apparently weren't strong enough to overcome the baby daddy's stupidity genes.

Craig is hot as hell but dumber than a rock!  Wonder where he gets his looks from since Daddy is no eye candy even in his younger days.  

• Love 4

Smurf KNEW that Javi and his gang had tortured her ex, that they knew where she lived, that she no longer had the money, and that she had two kids living there (three if Baz had bailed and dropped Lena off, which is not unlike him at this point), and she did not bother giving at least J a head's up! I know she was suffering some memory issues in the first episode, but I am not seeing where she has ever had the smarts to lead her misfit brood into such a semi-successful lifestyle.

13 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think Deran will be able to handle this. That guy looked pretty white collar, he has no idea the kind of family Deran is from. Don't forget how easily Deran took care of Adrian's new boyfriend. Hope that neighborhood association guy knows how to swim!

I'm actually looking forward to that. This show needs a little fun.

12 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I have to say, I'm no fan of Nikki, but she did at least show a bit of sense in going for the hidden guns, and she did at least TRY to help J instead of hiding or trying to run. Granted, it didn't go very well, but I give her credit for at least making an attempt. For all she thinks the criminal lifestyle is exciting and cool and clearly has a thing for bad boys, this life is actually pretty freaking dangerous and scary, and she just got a mouthful of it.

I know, but GEEZ, you don't make a stand against two armed men! You shoot them in the back and apologize later for breaking the rules. She made the worst use of her freedom of movement that she could have.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Its interesting that Deran is taking such a stand on keeping his bar legitimate even against his brother's who all but figured he was just using it as a front for money laundering.  I don't think Baz or Pope even considered that Deran would do anything else.

If someone had told me last year that Deran would be the most interesting character in Season 2, I would've laughed my ass off.  But that is exactly what happened.  This is a very interesting character arc, how much will he change, what old behaviors can he carry with him to go forward?

Baz and Pope do not have Smurf's sense of big picture.  They can plot a job, but assuming Deran would launder money through his new bar was a really stupid move.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Gabrielle Tracy said:

You know, before this episode I would have agreed with you 100% as far as what you said about J.  But after this week, I think he's seriously pissed off.  It's like the incident with Javi's guys flipped a switch or something.  I think he could potentially be the most dangerous Cody since it's been broadly hinted that he's the smartest.  Pissed off and smart can be a lethal combination.

You're spot on about Nikki.  I actually liked her this episode.  I think Smurf is going to turn on her eventually, though.

Eventually, probably if someone else doesn't take her out while she is fighting for the Cody clan. But in the short term new girl Nikki will probably get the weapons training off screen that J just went through

This show is sooo good, that was such an intense episode! I also liked Nikki this episode, especially in the beginning when she kicked Craig out of the car after bailing him out.

I loved how Craig asked the guy if he did drugs AFTER he got his urine. Craig, you sexy fool.

I kinda liked how passive aggresive Smurf was when giving Baz instructions on what time Lena gets out of school.

So a few weeks ago I was bored on a Friday night and was flipping through the channels and stumbled upon Twilight: New Moon (don't judge). I started watching right at the part where Bella was mad at Jacob because she didn't like his new friends and felt that he was keeping secrets. So she goes to his house and finds him sleeping. She then sees his new wolf buddies outside, of course at this point she doesn't know they are wolves. She goes to confront them, one gives her attitude and she smacks him. He then gets angry and they can't control their wolf powers just yet, so he turns. Bella starts running away and that's when Jacob runs out of the house and he turns into a wolf. The reason I am telling this story is because the one wolf that gets smacked by Bella looked familiar to me, so I looked him up. He is portrayed by Alex Meraz, who is none other than our friend Javi. He had hair in Twilight.

• Love 5

Last season it seemed as though J was just going along with the family for his own survival.  He may have felt a certain family loyalty, as he said on the last episode of the first season, but he also must have realized that he would be implicated and possibly charged with felonies in the last two of the family crimes and that he could not trust either the cops or the teacher.  Now this season it seems as though he may in fact be tempted to become a part of the family business. 

I think last season he was torn between the Codys and the teacher. Once he realized the teacher was just using him, all he had left was the Codys. I wish he were strong enough to just go it alone and leave them behind but he doesn't seem to be. Clearly he wants very badly to belong.

And when in the hell is he ever going to go to school? They keep making him skip school to go to meetings or go on runs. How can he not have been kicked out by now?

• Love 4
21 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think last season he was torn between the Codys and the teacher. Once he realized the teacher was just using him, all he had left was the Codys. I wish he were strong enough to just go it alone and leave them behind but he doesn't seem to be. Clearly he wants very badly to belong.

And when in the hell is he ever going to go to school? They keep making him skip school to go to meetings or go on runs. How can he not have been kicked out by now?

I keep changing my mind about J.  I think he is torn between wanting a family and needing a place to live and to belong, hating Smurf and fearing his uncles, wanting to be successful and respected ...in school, in the "family", in life.  He knows he has to be alert and self-contained.  I think his internal conflict makes the show powerful.

Now, in addition to J, we see Deran struggling to free himself from his family.  If he has managed to walk away from Smurf, at least for the time being, we see him beset on every side with pressures from Craig, from the need to conform to the law to maintain his bar, and now, from the protection racket.  Another powerful internal and external conflict.

Craig is struggling to get back into the family, Baz is coping with a new problem with the cop, Pope is trying to live with his conscience, create a real relationship against family wisdom, and Smurf is confronting her past.  She now has to deal with Javi.

Everyone here has a compelling problem.  

• Love 4
On 7/12/2017 at 0:27 PM, iMonrey said:

s hijacking someone's bodily fluids in order to pass a medical check for your job a thing on TV now?

No, this has been shown in other movies, or tv...just don't remember the title..so its nothing new.

On 7/12/2017 at 1:06 PM, Chaos Theory said:

I don't think the show would introduce the collection guy if it was going to be that easy to get rid of him.  My guess is he will be a pest for Deran who will continue to play it straight but his brother's or Smurf will use it as an excuse to infringe on his business.  Either that or the stress coming at him from all directions will eventually have Deran act out and do something he can't take back and ruin his chance at legitimacy in the most violent and messy way possible. 

Agreed but initially I got the vibe he's going to be a new love interest for Deran...or maybe I'm reading too much into it. More likely, if he's extorting all the neighborhood businesses, I wonder if that will make him the next mark for the Codys.

On 7/12/2017 at 5:49 PM, lazylou said:

Agree.  But on the show they keep saying he cannot go to an urgent care.  I feel sure he could come  with a good cover story.

He can probably go to urgent care now, but it would be a giveaway if the long lost Cody shows up injured only minutes after a 6-figure robbery. 

• Love 1

No, this has been shown in other movies, or tv...just don't remember the title..so its nothing new.

Oh I didn't think it was new, I just wondered why it seems to have gotten popular as a plot point again. And on both shows where I saw it used, the hijacking took place in an office restroom. Seemed like an odd coincidence to me.

On 7/12/2017 at 7:34 PM, Dowel Jones said:

Nope! No doctors!

For example, if one were to be bitten by her house cat while trying to wash off grease the cat encountered in her garage, and, theoretically,  go to a doctor for a shot for a swollen hand the next morning,  one might find ARMED animal control officers on one's porch demanding either the cat (for immediate euthanasia), or a rabies certificate.  

Theoretically,  one should always keep her rabies certificate in a manila folder in the top drawer of her filing cabinet.

Is hijacking someone's bodily fluids in order to pass a medical check for your job a thing on TV now?

It was just such a typically dumb way to go about it because all the guy had to do was walk out of there and tell everyone some guy just threatened him for his urine. I mean, he was right there where Craig was applying. Not to mention Craig put a freaking gun to his head.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Swim mom said:

Nope! No doctors!

For example, if one were to be bitten by her house cat while trying to wash off grease the cat encountered in her garage, and, theoretically,  go to a doctor for a shot for a swollen hand the next morning,  one might find ARMED animal control officers on one's porch demanding either the cat (for immediate euthanasia), or a rabies certificate.  

Theoretically,  one should always keep her rabies certificate in a manila folder in the top drawer of her filing cabinet.

You'd think so, but I've been to urgent care clinics twice  - in the very same area this show is set - for animal bites (dog and cat).  No animal cops, no request for rabies certificates.  For that matter, they could have gone to a clinic in TJ - it's only about an hour away.

On 7/19/2017 at 10:02 AM, walnutqueen said:

You'd think so, but I've been to urgent care clinics twice  - in the very same area this show is set - for animal bites (dog and cat).  No animal cops, no request for rabies certificates.  For that matter, they could have gone to a clinic in TJ - it's only about an hour away.

I did a google search for my county and couldn't find a law requiring clinics to report cat or dog bites. I found it for other counties in my state, though.  I live in a one bite and you're dead state for dogs, but I couldn't find it applying to cats. Surprisingly, I was in a Kohls dressing room and heard a woman hysterical on a phone call to her hubby about this same issue after I posted that. Note to moderator,  I don't know how to move something, so I just replied here.

California state law requires first responders, and, I assume, medical providers, to report incidences of dog bites.  Cat bites, I'm not sure of.  So that excuse is out, and besides, the nature of the wound would not indicate an animal bite.  He could just say he fell off a mountain bike and they would stitch him right up, minimal questions asked.  Personal experience, there.

• Love 1
On 7/16/2017 at 9:26 PM, rho said:

Agreed but initially I got the vibe he's going to be a new love interest for Deran...or maybe I'm reading too much into it. More likely, if he's extorting all the neighborhood businesses, I wonder if that will make him the next mark for the Codys.

He can probably go to urgent care now, but it would be a giveaway if the long lost Cody shows up injured only minutes after a 6-figure robbery. 

Very prescient of you, as it tuns out!

8 hours ago, lazylou said:

Very prescient of you, as it tuns out!

Lazylou, would you please pm me and tell me how you moved a quote to a different episode? Thank you.

On 7/12/2017 at 12:27 PM, iMonrey said:

So that was the guy she met with back in Season 1. I raised that question during the funeral episode, but the actor playing Jake isn't listed for any Season 1 episodes, so now I'm wondering if it's a different actor than the one who met with Smurf on the beach back in Season 1. 

I looked back at season 1 this exact episode and looked at season 2 where she meets up with him again and he ties her to the TV and steals the money. Same guy. But in season 1 they have him as Isaiah and season 2 as Jake... confusing. Idk if he was meant to be two different people or the same with different names??? 

On 7/12/2017 at 10:09 AM, Laurie4H said:

Maybe I missed something but Smurf said the street where Nikki was dumped is where they buried Javi's father, but wasn't the funeral her and J went to for Javi's father?

On 7/12/2017 at 10:09 AM, Laurie4H said:

Manny wasn’t javis dad , he just took javi in