Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E05: Academy Week #1

• Start Topic

I loved this. I was so bored during the auditions. I am liking the new format with the all stars picking their teams. And the best part was that I didn't have to listen to Vanessa and her little girl squealing once this episode! 

• Love 5
(edited)

GenL, nope Robert got shut out.

I liked how the Academy was structured, with the "You make a team", "You get sent home" (after the Hip Hop, and the rounds to come next week), or "You get to keep going".

Lex & Gaby are going to be beasts. I see no scenario minus a trade or a steal where he isn't the last person standing on her team. Sadly, that probably means the Top 10 will be Tap free...

The show also must like effing around with Ramita the Indian dancer. They made it seem like she was in a back line that was let go after the initial solos but she actually wasn't, and then they made it seem like she was getting let go after Hip Hop when I think she was just getting sent on to Contemporary cause none of the All Stars wanted her on their team after Hip Hop. Or possibly it's the reverse.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

GenL, nope Robert got shut out.

I liked how the Academy was structured, with the "You make a team", "You get send home" (after the Hip Hop, and the rounds to come next week), or "You get to keep going".

Lex & Gaby are going to be beasts. I see no scenario minus a trade or a steal where he isn't the last person standing on her team. Sadly, that probably means the Top 10 will be Tap free...

The also like effing around with Ramita the Indian dancer. They made it seem like she was in a back line that was let go after the initial solos but she actually wasn't, and then they made it seem like she was getting let go after Hip Hop when I think she was just getting sent on to Contemporary cause none of the All Stars wanted her on their team after Hip Hop. Or possibly it's the reverse.

Same with Kaylee. According to that edit, she was cut. I was very surprised but then it was quickly apparent she wasn't cut. I hate that kind of editing. It wasn't even necessary. 

• Love 2
(edited)

GenL, pretty sure she (Kaylee Millis) ended up as Cyrus's only pick of the evening.

Also loving Dassy Lee ending up with Fikshun. I really think she's got a great shot to be the last person standing on his team...

I feel the first hip hop guy (Kevin?) who joined Allison's team is going to regret that choice...

• Love 3
(edited)

I liked that all of the contestants got to dance in a big group dance (however dubious it was as entertainment).

I liked the building.  Where is it?  What's its name?

I feel that a lot of the contestants did not watch the kids' version of the show, because Robert....

Jenna picking a member of the fam is just creepy.  Utterly creepy.

Edited by crowceilidh
typo
  • Love 3

The show was all jacked up at the beginning so I missed the intros, who is the all-star sitting next to Fik-Shun in the brown tank?

Pshaw I don't care who is on that panel if Cyrus called my name I would run to him.

• Love 1

Jenna has no business being an All-Star and how convenient that the first member of her team is apparently a friend of her maybe-boyfriend Val Chmerkovskiy. She had a perpetual dumb look on her face for most of the episode.

• Love 1

I loved the look on Jenna's face.  She was echoing what I was thinking, "why are the all-stars standing up and getting so excited over someone who is just taking their joint out of place".  What an awesome look she had.  I don't get the love for all the lockers, poppers, and other people with stupid names who call themselves dancers.

I didn't recognise half of these all-stars.

Wow, could blondie from Utah have cared less that her partner of almost a decade got cut first???  Those few tears she squeezed out at the end didn't make up for her making it all about her and her excitement at going through.  I felt bad for him.

• Love 17
(edited)
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

Jenna has no business being an All-Star and how convenient that the first member of her team is apparently a friend of her maybe-boyfriend Val Chmerkovskiy. She had a perpetual dumb look on her face for most of the episode.

Kiki is one of the Chmerkovskiy "fam" members.  Maks Chmerkovskiy used to teach him and he's part of their whole little close knit group.  He also was one of the original DWTS troupe members but only lasted one season.  So yes, she picked her boyfriend's super close friend.  I guess when you get those fam marching orders.

Locking and popping is dancing whether people appreciate the art form or not.  I don't subscribe to the theory that contemporary is the be all end all of being a true dancer.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 15

I have a feeling we saw the last one standing for all the All-Stars other than Robert.  These people were their first choices and many of them were fought over.  Besides they were among the best.  If so they have the basics of a very solid group.   Don't know who will be Robert's pick...the top 2 contemporary girls highlighted are already off the board

I'm not sure about the Kiki pick but I wonder if he cruised because he knew Jenna was going to pick him.  Kiki is good at his thing but calling him the best ballroom auditioner ever is more over the top than ever.  I would easily rank Artem, Dmitry, and Pasha ahead of him

• Love 4

I don't think it's surprising that Jenna chose Kiki.  They have 4 people on their team, but only one is going to partner the all-star.  So they need some cannon fodder on their team.

• Love 1
(edited)

Although he blew it in the hip-hop round, I really enjoyed Kiki's NY audition. I often find it hard to pay attention to the guy, but I couldn't tear my eyes from him. Plus he looks so cute in his glasses. :D

I can't remember the name of the breaker (?) who was paired with blue-haired Kaylee, but they were so adorable and great together! I wish I could see them paired again and again.

Dang, so many talented dancers! I cannot imagine making the cuts. 

Edited by Electruck
  • Love 3
53 minutes ago, pally said:

I'm not sure about the Kiki pick but I wonder if he cruised because he knew Jenna was going to pick him.  Kiki is good at his thing but calling him the best ballroom auditioner ever is more over the top than ever.  I would easily rank Artem, Dmitry, and Pasha ahead of him

I couldn't believe it when Jenna said that. I know she was hyping up her pick because her pick had just bombed at his first choreography round (no other All-Star jumped up to argue Jenna for him, I noticed), but calling him the best ballroom auditioner ever on the show is pushing it even for her. Artem, Pasha, Dmitry, Ryan De Lillio, Benji to name a few.

• Love 9
(edited)
15 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Lex played Billy Elliot in the North American Tour.  Tap was one of the requirements for that role.

12 hours ago, spanana said:

Kiki is one of the Chmerkovskiy "fam" members.  Maks Chmerkovskiy used to teach him and he's part of their whole little close knit group.  He also was one of the original DWTS troupe members but only lasted one season.  So yes, she picked her boyfriend's super close friend.  I guess when you get those fam marching orders.

Kiki spent three seasons (12-14) in the DWTS troupe.  Per PureDWTS (famously anti-fam blog), he was dropped due to injury.

12 hours ago, pally said:

Jenna probably had to pick Kiki after the hip hop round, or he'd be sent home due to lack of All-Star votes to continue.

11 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I couldn't believe it when Jenna said that. I know she was hyping up her pick because her pick had just bombed at his first choreography round (no other All-Star jumped up to argue Jenna for him, I noticed), but calling him the best ballroom auditioner ever on the show is pushing it even for her. Artem, Pasha, Dmitry, Ryan De Lillio, Benji to name a few.

FWIW, Kiki and his partner Magda are current U.S. National Champions.  Fair to say that he has an impressive DanceSport record, anyway.

Edited by RomanKat
  • Love 3

I'm not sure about the Kiki pick but I wonder if he cruised because he knew Jenna was going to pick him.  Kiki is good at his thing but calling him the best ballroom auditioner ever is more over the top than ever.  I would easily rank Artem, Dmitry, and Pasha ahead of him.

Not to mention Paul, who was sitting RIGHT THERE in an All Star chair! Rude! 

Jenna has always bugged me. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Kiki spent three seasons (12-14) in the DWTS troupe.  Per PureDWTS (famously anti-fam blog), he was dropped due to injury.

My bad. I didn't fact check that. But apparently he made very little impression if I didn't remember he was there for three entire seasons. However I highly doubt he was dropped only due to injury because what I do remember is Val throwing a hissy fit on social media about Kiki getting getting kicked to the curb.  It was something about how TPTB were going to regret it and how it was the biggest mistake the show ever made.  If he really left solely due to injury, it's doubtful Val would have thrown a fit.

Edited by spanana
(edited)

I've so been looking forward to this week after A) the travesty that was last year's Kids Season and B) how boring I found the audition weeks this year.  Sadly, I was underwhelmed by this first "Academy Week" as well.  I want MORE DANCING.  Way too much talking, way too much of the dancers standing at the microphone while the All-Stars were featured making their pitches.  I'd rather have seen all 16 or 17 groups doing the hip-hop audition (and much more of the actual choreography instruction period) than a pale imitation of The Voice where the All-Stars pitch for why a dancer should be on their team. 

I mean, this is still an Uncle Nigel production, so we know that certain dancers are going to be featured heavily and others virtually ignored, but still...SYTYCD is ostensibly a DANCE show, so please, I beg you, show us more DANCING!

Rant over.  For now. 

Edited by OhTheHumanity
  • Love 13

Count me totally confused about this process.  If anyone can explain or point me in the direction for answers greatly appreciated.  I think this process is modelled after the kids season which I didn't watch. 

How does the team of 4 figure into the top 10?  One of the judges mentioned that they wanted the dancer to be their partner on the show. If that is the case and they "chose" their partner why are they filling a roster of 4?  So at this level the the 4 people on the team are essentially competing against each other to be their All-star's partner, right? 

• Love 5
(edited)

I'm assuming that those who found a home on an All Star's team after the Hip Hop round will still participate in the Contemporary and Ballroom rounds? Or I guess they could get "byes" whIle the All Stars choose the final members for their teams.

But then what comes after that? Each All Star's four person team will do a group routine which will end with some eliminations, and maybe a final solo duel between the last two standing for each All Star? IIRC, I think that's what it ultimately came down to on the kiddie version...

11 hours ago, spanana said:

So yes, she picked her boyfriend's super close friend.  I guess when you get those fam marching orders.

Worse, she did so after he messed up completely in hip hop, justifying her choice by saying he's the best ballroom dancer in the group. Not the point, Jenna!! Or is it possible, as someone asked earlier, that there will be a tour and she wants to be properly paired?

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, NYCNJbear06 said:

One of the judges mentioned that they wanted the dancer to be their partner on the show. 

IMO, that was out of line. She's essentially said whomever else she chooses to be on her team doesn't matter. Not very sporting, Gaby.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, luvthepros said:

I've never done this before but I'm calling it now.......Lex Ishimoto is the winner of this season. I don't think anyone can beat him.

I called it after his audition last week.

Interesting everyone is ripping Jenna for her "nepotism" selection.  Lex had basically an open invitation to almost the entire All Star panel, yet he selected Gaby  -- his company mate in Shaping Sound.

• Love 4

I do not care for this 'new' version of the show so far.  < sigh >  Is this the first year for The Academy?  I don't remember this at all.  Also, I do not like the way the All Stars are picking their teams right now.  They did something similar before, but this smacks too much of The Voice, and I don't like it.  I also think that first guy who picked Allison will regret that.  Cannot believe that none of them chose Robert.  What the heck?  I am surprised at the inclusion of Cyrus as an All Star because if memory serves, he pretty much sucked at everything that wasn't his style during his season, but he kept getting put through anyway.  Don't get me wrong - I loved watching him do his thing, but most of the rest of it was painful to watch.  I am also confused as to how this will work.  The All Stars pick a 'team' of four.  Then what?  How do we get to a Top 10?  And why just a Top 10?  Will the dancers then be partnered with the All Stars instead of each other?  I have no idea how this season is supposed to work, and if they've explained it on the show, I completely missed it.

• Love 9

Most of the people ripping Jenna are likely DWTS fans who are aware of her connections.  Especially those of us who get hit over the head with snark about her connections because we reluctantly read a certain fan site that is constantly backbiting them.  I am not aware of Gaby's connections because I don't watch them on tv or read them in my social media.

I was mystified by Gaby, so thanks for the heads up.

• Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, luvthepros said:

I've never done this before but I'm calling it now.......Lex Ishimoto is the winner of this season. I don't think anyone can beat him.

I called it after his audition! and they seemed to downplay him a little bit during the academy. Yes they showed his audition and everything but they barely showed him during the hip hop round. probably since it was a given he would get selected immediately.

I was hoping Alison would go for him but I'm good with Gaby - with Gaby having danced with Shaping Sound too - there is history there and they will kill it!!! Although I kinda feel that they should have not let all stars pick anyone they have danced with before. 

Edited by slaterain
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, LadyMustang65 said:

I do not care for this 'new' version of the show so far.  < sigh >  Is this the first year for The Academy?  I don't remember this at all.  Also, I do not like the way the All Stars are picking their teams right now.  They did something similar before, but this smacks too much of The Voice, and I don't like it.  I also think that first guy who picked Allison will regret that.  Cannot believe that none of them chose Robert.  What the heck?  I am surprised at the inclusion of Cyrus as an All Star because if memory serves, he pretty much sucked at everything that wasn't his style during his season, but he kept getting put through anyway.  Don't get me wrong - I loved watching him do his thing, but most of the rest of it was painful to watch.  I am also confused as to how this will work.  The All Stars pick a 'team' of four.  Then what?  How do we get to a Top 10?  And why just a Top 10?  Will the dancers then be partnered with the All Stars instead of each other?  I have no idea how this season is supposed to work, and if they've explained it on the show, I completely missed it.

9 minutes ago, Canada said:

I think most people ripping Jenna care more about personality than actual dance ability.  Which is strange on a show about dancing.

What's mostly been missing thus far on this season is heart IMO.  No, they haven't explained the mechanics of the process yet, which is irritating.

Given this week's ep I fear the show is headed into very different reality TV waters, the dark waters where creative editing twists and manipulates what the audience sees -- with a focus on the negative.  Curious that they're giving their All Stars such a heavy handed edit.  Why would they want to give their audience any reason not to watch the show in the future?  Start encouraging segments of your audience to dislike X, Y, Z, etc. and it's tougher to make them tune in because now they "hate" this one and that one -- and if you get to announce season 15 and segments of your audience are predisposed to dislike several of your All Stars they're less likely to tune in. 

Yes, I'm aware production choices have always shaped what we've been shown.  It's simply in the past the editing choices have had a more gentle focus from the audience's perspective.  There's a whole gutter full of reality TV programming already available with the negative focus, no thanks. 

• Love 1

I can only speak for myself, but I know nothing about Gabi so I would have no clue what connections she has or doesn't have.  Whereas with Jenna, it's all played out very publicly in DWTS circles for the last 2-3 years.  

I'm also not going to pretend that personality doesn't play a role on any show that tabulates results based on fan votes.  Yes, it's about dancing.  But if it were solely about dancing on shows like SYTYCD and DWTS then results would be decided by dance professionals, like any regular dance competition.  Performance ability and personality do come into play hence why all these shows frame it as finding America's Favorite as opposed to the best technically.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Mason said:

IMO, that was out of line. She's essentially said whomever else she chooses to be on her team doesn't matter. Not very sporting, Gaby.

I agree, but I am pretty certain Jenna was the one who made that statement. 

Edited by srpturtle80
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Tikichick said:

Lex had basically an open invitation to almost the entire All Star panel, yet he selected Gaby  -- his company mate in Shaping Sound.

Did I miss something? I thought the show skipped over who picked Lex and just showed that he picked Gaby. 

• Love 2

The problem I have with Jenna picking Kiki at this point is that he had a disasterous Hip-hip round that in past years would have gotten him cut or at least made him "dance for his life'     She was always going to pick him and him her so why push it right after the first round when he performed so badly?  

I don't like the picks only after one round.  Make everyone go through every round.  We've seen many first round stand-outs fail in the future rounds.  If they are great they will survive the entire audtion process

• Love 7

I'm not sure how I feel about the current format. I hate that they are already pulling people for teams. I think it does a disservice to the group as a whole. I liked when you had to make it through each round because then everyone hit an area that wasn't a strength. (or at least most everyone!) And I don't remember them doing the team thing with the kids (which I admit to hate-watching and to see the allstars only numbers) or if they did it wasn't the same. They also get a chance to bond more with the other dancers. I don't need another Voice judge battle stuff happening like they did last night - so much time of the short one hour ep was taken up with that. I wanted to see more dancing!!! 

They keep talking about mentoring and helping them grow - so if that happens after the next few rounds of choreo do we have another academy ep where it is the all star working with their group of 4 to determine who gets in? So two more episodes before we get to the top 10? And I assume we will get the 2 hour shows once the competition really kicks in?

I really miss the old start with 20 method and then add all stars in at 10. They could still mentor. I am already digging a couple pairings that would be fun to watch compete together. 

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, srpturtle80 said:

I agree, but I am pretty certain Jenna was the one who made that statement. 

Jenna had a lot to say, I agree; but it was Gaby who said "I don't just want you on my team, I want you as my partner." I'm now wondering if that were at least partially scripted; or else the others who were clamoring for him refused to be that blatant.

I see World of Dance credits a "writer" in the opening credits. I've never thought to see if SYTYCD does the same.

30 minutes ago, Morgan of Hed said:

Did I miss something? I thought the show skipped over who picked Lex and just showed that he picked Gaby. 

Pretty sure they did not show Paul or Fikshun offering Lex a spot on their teams.  Aside from that, I believe the rest of the panel was shown asking(begging) him to be on their team.  There was an abrupt cut of Lex picking Gaby.  I was stunned for about 3 seconds, and then I remembered being recently surprised that Gaby was now a member of Shaping Sound.

I also prefer 20 contestants and then the All-Stars coming in when we get to 10.  However, this is better than nothing.

The way they are picking is a combination of the kids' version and the old way.  For the kids' version, everyone in the Academy does a solo.  After their solos, the All-Stars choose five people to be on their team.  Just like this season, if more than one All-Star wants somebody, then the contestant chooses which All-Star they want.  After each choreography round, the All-Star eliminates somebody on their team.  There were three choreography rounds:  Broadway, Contemporary, and Hip-Hop.  So after Broadway, there were four on each team.  Contemporary brought each down to three and then hip-hop left two people on each team.  The All-Star interviewed the two and then chose who they wanted to mentor.  That's who we got 10 contestants.  One thing that they showed in the kids' version is that the All-Star would mentor their team during the choreography rounds.  Also, the All-Stars mostly chose people in their genre except they could choose one or two outside their genre.  But in the end, all the All-Stars chose somebody in their genre.  I believe Paul was the only one that had somebody outside his genre in his original team of five.  It was Sophia Lucia.  It was between her and Ruby Castro.  He ended up choosing Ruby and I was happy because we got good ballroom routines from them.  That's what I mostly liked about the kids' version.  There was really good tap, ballroom, hip-hop, etc.  However, the kids weren't really tested that much outside their genre.  The only time they did was when they were partnered with each other or with a different All-Star at the end.  Otherwise, they danced in their own genre with their All-Star.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, pally said:

The problem I have with Jenna picking Kiki at this point is that he had a disasterous Hip-hip round that in past years would have gotten him cut or at least made him "dance for his life'     She was always going to pick him and him her so why push it right after the first round when he performed so badly?  

I think that's the problem with Jenna picking Kiki.  Of course, a bunch of All-Stars wanted Lex because he's really good and he's versatile.  It was Lex that decided to go with Gaby.  I think that's o.k. because it was his choice and he feels the most comfortable with her since they dance for the same company.  I believe Allison was previously a member of Shaping Sound but she probably left before he came.

Kiki is a really good ballroom dancer and I enjoyed his audition.  But he blew it during the hip-hop round.  I thought he would have to dance for his life or have to do the other choreography rounds before getting chosen on a team.  However, as somebody else mentioned above, maybe he didn't have enough All-Star votes to advance to the next round.  So Jenna had to choose him to be on her team or else he would get cut.  If she chooses him as a partner, then at least we should get one good ballroom routine out of them.  I don't think ballroom dancers make it very far on this show anyway unless you're charismatic like Benji.

• Love 1
(edited)
23 minutes ago, SarahBeth said:

I just went back to double-check,  and it was definitely Jenna who said she wanted Logan as her partner, not Gaby.

I'm confused. I was talking about Gaby picking Lex!! If I misheard, I apologize.

Edited by Mason

Like others I felt that the inclusion of Cyrus was a joke.  He went way too far in his season and was absurdly pimped by the judges every week.  As I recall when he had to dance other styles, the choreography had to be dumbed down.  Fiction, on the other hand, turned out to be good at most other styles and his partnership with Amy was outstanding.   Comfort, while she didn't necessarily excel at styles other than Hip Hop, nevertheless, did pretty well. Those who make it to the teams have tough choices.  Do they stick with a mentor who works in the same style or go with one who might help them raise their game in "alien" dance styles.  Kevin, in going with Allison, took the latter path. 

• Love 2

Too much talking, not enough dancing. I miss the two-hour shows. We hardly got to see any of the solos, yet we have time to rehash the dancers back stories, replay initial audition moments, and watch the "all-stars" blather on endlessly. We don't need to cut away from a what little dancing we did see, so we can see the all-stars falling out of their chairs in OTT amazement, and we don't need to waste time hearing them "pitch" the dancers with all the same stupid arguments on why they should pick them. This is not the voice, it's not about the coaches. Ugh! 

• Love 14