Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Joy Gets Engaged

• Start Topic

Deena's Facebook under "About Deena"

First off I love God with all my heart!! He's brought me through some of the hardest trials of my life and for that I could never thank him enough! I've played soccer since I was about five. I've also been in theater since I was about ten. Those are my first loves. lol! I have one sister and two brothers. I love my family very much! I love to hang out with friends and play games. I love to do missions work and live in other countries. I taught English in Mexico for over 9 months and loved learning about the culture, traditions, and language. Even more importantly I loved sharing the gospel and making some very special friends. I see myself doing missions in the future wherever the Lord leads me. If there is any life lesson that I've learned these past few years it is to completely rely on the Lord and desperately seek HIS will for my life and not my own selfish desires. Faith is not meant to be easy but it is so very rewarding. I will seek HIM in all that I do.

From Dan's Instagram, they are a bit different than the Duggars

that's all I've got, lol

• Love 2
(edited)

Have to admit - the proposal made me smile.  Yes it was simply and sort of silly but for that moment they both seemed really happy not keep sweet happy or play for the camera's happy.  She's young and it would be better for their relationship if they waited but from the TH's and the way she was interacting with Henry I suspect Joy will have an announcement before Jinger does.

The worst part was the kids tearing into those boxes from Laredo.  Do they never get gifts or do they have no manners (I suspect both).  Jinger packed it so nicely and even labeled things and here's one of the boys just yanking the stuff out and tossing it on the counter barely looking at it while another is into a different box and everyone is yelling and grabbing at once.  Michelle made a barely there effort but it was mostly a free for all, I sort of feel sorry for Jinger if she watches and saw how her boxes were really handled.

Next week looks interesting - although I don't see Daphne Oz as an obvious hostess and I wonder if they'll ask the questions we really want to know about or if it'll all be cutesy soft-ball stuff.

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 9
(edited)

If my blindfold was removed and I saw that we were that close to a steep cliff........I wouldn't be happy, I'd be ticked off.  Still, no accidents or injuries, so I suppose all is well.  I was kind of on board until Joy has to say that she and Austin want AS MANY KIDS AS GOD wants to give them.  I know what that means.  

I wonder if the older sisters ever really think about the feasibility of their family continuing to be close.  Their family is likely to grow further apart, as more and more kids are married and have their own large families. With so many cousins, can they be close to more than a few?  With all the new people in a growing extended family, eventually, they won't know their family members all that well.  I suppose that they can communicate with modern technology, but, even that may not be enough for people who don't really know each other that well.  I wonder how long before the concept of quality over quantity will take hold.  

When I see Derik and Jill taking Israel to SA and away from Cathy, who clearly adores him, it makes me sick.  Maybe, it wouldn't, if I believed in their mission or that they even wanted to do it.  Just stop torturing your family.  Is this some kind of marytr thing?  

Maybe, I'm rude, but, if anyone serves me a steak on a paper plate....I'd likely ask if I could have a regular one, if I promise to wash it.  lol To me, you just don't serve steak on paper.  And if you must, get the super sturdy kind. But, Jill may never have heard that concept.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4

after watching last nights episode I was snooping on some instagrams and found Deena just to see if she had posted anything about the new baby, she hadn't. But I did see that her brother proposed to his wife the exact same way that Joe did to Kendra, during the flower toss. Nothing earth shattering, just that Joy did the it just like she did, turned around with the flowers and walked over & handed them to his girl. Just found it interesting, thats all ;) lol

• Love 2
(edited)

Mr.Ron (Cathy's husband looked like he stepped in a pile of cow sh!t when walked in the door and every shot of him has the same sour expression or him looking at the metaphorical poop on his shoes).

Betting he pulled his pocket knife to cut his tough steak instead of the plastic knife nonsense.

Can green beans? Frozen are too much trouble, Jill?

Kendrab's dad looked like he would rather to lay his head on the engine block and slam the hood shut than consent to Joe courting Kendrab but she wants to be a TV star with the spotlight on her for a whole season and gotta get all she can while TLC is willing to foot the bill of an Ozark celeb wedding.

Joy finally gets sincere parental PDA with the kiss on the forehead from her future FIL, not the usual awkward grab and side press.

Am sappy enough to believe that Austoon sees Joy as his partner in life.

For Joy...sure, why not... he's as good as any...compared to Joy's BILs,  Austoon's the grand prize at the county fair...

The best part  at the proposal  was no Chelle or JBlob for miles.

But too much of them at the gift grab.

Djerick says growing hair is hard work...breathing is such a task...blinking makes him tired...sucking off the teat of TLC exhausts him...

What a turd.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 14
(edited)

Kendra' s pastor dad looks like he was about 26 years old!  OMG....I almost laughed at the part about God is leading these kids to court.  With all the talking they are doing......Jesus is leading the way forward.  So, if you talk to a girl a lot and you don't like it, does that mean that God is not in it or are you just not compatible?  It must be nice to never accept personal responsibility, logical thinking, individual personality tastes, etc.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Kendra' s pastor dad looks like he was about 26 years old!  OMG....I almost laughed at the part about God is leading these kids to court.  With all the talking they are doing......Jesus is leading the way forward.  So, if you talk to a girl a lot and you don't like it, does that mean that God is not in it or are you just not compatible?  It must be nice to never accept personal responsibility, logical thinking, individual personality tastes, etc.  

I thought the same thing!  I was only half watching and it didn't dawn on me that Joe was talking to Kendra's father until later in the conversation.  Joe seems like a sweet kid.  I like him.  Kendra's dad doesn't look a day over 25!  Good genes I guess.  We've not seen a lot of Kendra, but she appears to be a sweet person as well.  I think they make a good couple.  I can see innocence and hopefulness all in Joe's face.  I hope they'll be happy. The world is sour enough.

After the proposal at Joy's wedding, I would swear they almost kissed until some idiot yelled, "NO KISSING!" And Joe responded, "We'll keep it clean."  Man, what did JB & Michelle do to these children?!!!

• Love 7
12 hours ago, floridamom said:

Jessa admitted she can't handle two small children and her house is a disorganized mess. It was more than gross to have a couch stained with snot, spit up, and diaper overloads. So, she has two small children. Be very organized and do your errands around their nap times. That's what I did and it worked out well.

God Jessa. Stfu. I've got twins who are 14 months old, and my husband has been deployed twice in their lifetimes. He is currently deployed and has been since March and probably won't be back until September. My house is immaculate, and my girls are clean, happy and healthy. It can be done. It's not easy, but it can be done. 

• Love 15

I had to hand it to Austin's dad when he said he was tempted to joke that he'd forgotten the ring, but he considered how Austin would react and decided against it. Imagine it: valuing the person above the "joke." Quite a concept, eh, Duggar men?

• Love 19

It was worth sitting through the episode just for seeing Derick's stepfather scowling at his meat and refusing to acknowledge anyone else. It just made me laugh. I don't think he enjoys the Duggar circus.  Also worthwhile for seeing little Jennifer smile for once, up on the hill where Joy got engaged. 

• Love 11
(edited)
29 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

God Jessa. Stfu. I've got twins who are 14 months old, and my husband has been deployed twice in their lifetimes. He is currently deployed and has been since March and probably won't be back until September. My house is immaculate, and my girls are clean, happy and healthy. It can be done. It's not easy, but it can be done. 

I think Jessa and Jill are just lazy and want others to do their scut work. Even before Henry, I saw pictures on Jessa's Instagram that showed her house to be a mess with laundry and other crap piled up in the corners. Her bed is rarely, if ever, made and that takes all of what, thirty seconds when you get up in the morning? I think she just uses the kids as an excuse.

Regarding Cathy's husband, I can see why he would have such a disdain for Derick and Jill. He watched his wife nearly die from cancer, and then her idiot son takes her only grandchild away. Cathy clearly stresses out about their safety, and that's not good for her health. I know adults have to lead their own lives, but Derick isn't even doing anything significant down there. It's not worth all the grief their missioncationing causes for Cathy.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

Heck, it was a dinner for SIX people, Jill. Izzy had his own dish, etc...but plastic plates and silverware? I'm sure that kitchen was stocked with some real dishes. Use them, girl. Put them in the dishwasher if you don't have time to wash them by hand. I, too, was shocked to see Mr. Byrum show up and yes, he did look like his usual stone face. Can't help but wonder what his relationship is like with Cathy when there are no cameras around. Derick was uncomfortable around him, an awkward handshake 'hello' with him.  It was nice to see some normal people, though. The Dillards, minus Derelict, are normal people. They should include them more. I enjoyed their TH segments. In the future, I'd like to hear from Dan and Dena (?) as to what their religious beliefs are, ie, are they like the Duggars too, are they wanting to have lots of babies, etc....I'd like for Cathy to explain her position on those things also.

Didn't they ask for and receive a shit ton of wedding gifts?  Plastic plates are outdoor eating plates.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

Heck, it was a dinner for SIX people, Jill. Izzy had his own dish, etc...but plastic plates and silverware? I'm sure that kitchen was stocked with some real dishes. Use them, girl. Put them in the dishwasher if you don't have time to wash them by hand. 

But...but......Didn't they explain this; I mean they're packing for an important trip, they don't have "stuff" available, it's all going to DA or stored away because you know being poor missionaries they don't have a permanent home where they can keep nice things (wink, wink).  They have no money or room for real possessions, they can barely afford those steaks from the last of their donation money and might have to wash and re-use those paper plates.  But all is not lost, if you give now they'll be able to upgrade to plastic plates and maybe even ship those to DA so Izzy doesn't have to eat off the floor AND for just a little extra Jill might be able to make banana bread twice a week this time.

By the way - the Southern Baptist Convention supposedly recently denied the Dillards retro-active recognition as "missionaries" because they don't meet the education requirements.....huge surprise there.

https://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2017/07/jill-duggar-and-derick-dillard-rejected-by-their-own-church/

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, Portia said:

I had to hand it to Austin's dad when he said he was tempted to joke that he'd forgotten the ring, but he considered how Austin would react and decided against it. Imagine it: valuing the person above the "joke." Quite a concept, eh, Duggar men?

It's rather telling how displays of basic human decency, thoughtfulness and respect shown on this show (usually by outsiders) receive such accolades from us. Says a lot about the Duggars as a whole, in contrast.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Evagirl said:

I thought the same thing!  I was only half watching and it didn't dawn on me that Joe was talking to Kendra's father until later in the conversation.  Joe seems like a sweet kid.  I like him.  Kendra's dad doesn't look a day over 25!  Good genes I guess.  We've not seen a lot of Kendra, but she appears to be a sweet person as well.  I think they make a good couple.  I can see innocence and hopefulness all in Joe's face.  I hope they'll be happy. The world is sour enough.

After the proposal at Joy's wedding, I would swear they almost kissed until some idiot yelled, "NO KISSING!" And Joe responded, "We'll keep it clean."  Man, what did JB & Michelle do to these children?!!!

I finally know who Kendra reminds me of (apologies if already said).  Miranda Lambert minus the bleached hair and extra make up.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, kalamac said:

However does she manage to not be tempted by Satan in the aisles of Walmart if she doesn't have an accountability partner. I'm shocked.

tenor.gif

• Love 5
(edited)
40 minutes ago, Genevrier said:

It was worth sitting through the episode just for seeing Derick's stepfather scowling at his meat and refusing to acknowledge anyone else. It just made me laugh. I don't think he enjoys the Duggar circus.  Also worthwhile for seeing little Jennifer smile for once, up on the hill where Joy got engaged. 

I agree & boy that was an awkward scene with Derick greeting him or almost not greeting him.

As others have said -- try working an outside job Jessa along with keeping house & taking care of little ones.

Maybe I just had a neat son but I don't remember having to wipe up snot or drool, or other bodily fluids from our furniture in the amounts Joy had to clean up after Spurge. That was just gross. Like others have suggested, a slipcover is easy or just clean it up after it happens.  Maybe Spurge is already having sinus problems (like his Dad) from living in the Mold House, thus the never ending snot on the furniture.

I thought the engagement was kind of boring.  I wish these guys would put more into their words than into the locale or the game to get there.  Even a simple "I love you so much & want to share the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?"  is better than just spewing out "will you marry me?"  Put a little thought into it guys. 

ETA- that was just gross that Joy had to change Jessa & Ben's scuzzy sheets.  

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 7

When Austin was proposing, for whatever reason, my eyes got teary. Doggone dust mites. I noticed that Joy was very protective of her sisters.  She kept telling Austin to be careful with Jenny.  I honestly believe these kids love and care for each other. 

I just can’t get over how happy and content Jinger appears to be in Laredo.  Given how close she seemed to be with the Seewalds, I was surprised to hear that Henry was a month old and she still hadn’t made time to go and see him.  I think Jinger and Alyssa Bates are cut from the same cloth, in that they love their family, but enjoy the distance between them. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Adeejay said:

I think Jinger and Alyssa Bates are cut from the same cloth, in that they love their family, but enjoy the distance between them. 

Definitely agree with you there.  

Jinger is really coming into her own being married and away from home.  I think Jeremy is good for her and good to her.  He's at least 8 years older than Jinger and I think that's what made the difference in her marriage and the marriages of her sisters.  Plus Jeremy is mainstream.  He has traveled and lived a "normal" life.  When I say "normal", I just mean not Fundie.  He was so open with the cuddling on their honeymoon.  There is definitely chemistry between the two that I've not seen with the other married siblings.  

• Love 17

So, I thought it was Tuesday (Chopped and Law and Order) only to find out that it was Monday and the only thing appealing to watch while doing mindless work was Tiny House Hunters (my patience only goes so far), so I had this going in the background.  Lord, why is this show on?  I mean seriously?

Random Thoughts

She asked that that the proposal be a surprise, isn't that already taking away from the surprise? 

Beans from a can?  Just get the frozen stuff and microwave it.  That dinner looked sorta gross.

Those kids were simultaneously feral and rude with that candy. 

Why is there snot all over Jessa's house?  My toddler likes to stick her finger up her nose, but she doesn't leave boogers everywhere.  Maybe it's Ben?  Also, slip covers.  

• Love 7
(edited)

At the end of the episode I was like did not know that was a two hr episode , oh it wasn't . Ack.

Wait they have an after show next week? Have they done this before?

Edited by Gyproselee
Got new information
  • Love 2

Austoon:The diamond has been in the family for 5 generations.

Joy: wow

Austoon: Great great  great Grandpappy ordered it for great great great MeeMaw out of the Sears and Roebuck catalog.

Joy: I'll cherish it forever...

Austoon : Don't get too attached you may have to cough it up for our grand kid to give to his fiance in about 30 years or so...

• Love 6
(edited)
51 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Austoon : Don't get too attached you may have to cough it up for our grand kid to give to his fiance in about 30 years or so...

Lulz! I know Austin didn't mean to come off badly, but yeah, no newly engaged woman wants to think about parting with her diamond ring an hour after she receives it.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

By the way, Austin didn't say, "Will you marry me?", he said "Would you marry me?" Home schoolin' at it's finest!

He also said, "we've even "rid" horses up here before." Sheesh!

• Love 5
(edited)

That got an eye roll from me....But what do you expect when you never hear learn-ed  speak-a-fying...

Joy hand over mouth fake feigned shock...TLC thespian.

Snot  and barf on the couch...yank it outside to the lawn and power wash that festering pile of ick...

Or unzip the cushion covers and take them to the dry cleaners ...for crap's sake...

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 7
15 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

That got an eye roll from me....But what do you expect when you never hear learn-ed  speak-a-fying...

Joy hand over mouth fake feigned shock...TLC thespian.

Snot  and barf on the couch...yank it outside to the lawn and power wash that festering pile of ick...

Or unzip the cushion covers and take them to the dry cleaners ...for crap's sake...

The thread that keeps on givin'.

At what point is the show no longer 'reality'? 

• Love 1

A few thoughts on this ep:

---

Can't stand the way the Duggar girls repeatedly parakeet trite phrases, cliches, and "nothing burgers".

The episode starts with Captain Obvious Jessa (worst of the bunch imo) exclaiming:

"I kind of expect it to be a challenge going from one to two kids."

and

"Now he has to share mommy's lap with another baby."

Seriously, do any of them ever have an original thought?

----

Re: Joy's words about her upcoming "surprise" proposal were "I was trying just to talk myself out of it. Like, 'No this is not happening. This is not happening.'"

Specifically what did you not want to happen Joy?

Plus, the girls act like they're completely shocked when they're ready to walk down the aisle as if someone/something else is forcing them to get married. I'm not going to go back and quote them all verbatim but during each wedding, especially Jinger's, the girls all behaved as if they simply could not believe they were getting married.

TLC never cuts it out and the Duggers don't insist they cut out such telling words from the kids showing the world how brainwashed they all are afraid to go against the cult for fear of ostracization. I don't blame them. It's not as if any of them could cut off their entire family and strike out on their own at the age of 18.  

• Love 5

I'm so over everything having to be a 'super' this or 'super that' experience. Please, Duggar girls, learn another adjective; perhaps open a thesaurus. Such juvenile vocabulary.

Old Austin wanted to make sure Joy knew that 'her' engagement ring was 'HIS'.

• Love 6

So, she much as it irks me to hear Joy say "we want as many as the lord will bless us with" when it comes to children--I still firmly believe that it's just one of those "easier said than done" moments--she's 19, she's entering into a whole new world with Austin and I think that they won't be the crazy rabbit-reproducers. I think once they settle into life and pop out the first and maybe 2nd one, reality will set in with the cost of living and lifestyle and they will rethink that whole plan. Austins family is a sensible size (whether it was intended that way or not) so I think right now I'm just taking that statement as it is--from a naive, young woman. I think they will have a happy marriage and I sincerely hope they both enjoy and utilize the outdoors so they have hobbies outside of perpetual pregnancy. I think Joy is marrying into a kinder fundie family than the one she was born into.

laughed at the subtle shade about Josiah putting the wrestling mask on and the duggar brother commenting on it at least having hair.

Jill and Derrick suck.

Jessa won't be getting pregnant again for awhile methinks--she's overwhelmed and I think she thought it would be easier not realizing that without the sister mom's--parenting is HARD WORK. 

Glad to see Jinger doesnt need her husband around in order to explore life. Maybe we will even see if she has her own friends!

42 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Aw, come on, cut her some slack! They were probably on the fourth or fifth take!

Don't forget the fact that she had a manicure recently. Those was French tips scream close up ring shots for some engagement photos.

• Love 8
59 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

I love how Jessa had no idea what was going on with the proposal.  Girl had no shits to give.

Hey now, Jessa was focused on what was really important to her: getting as much housework as possible out of Joy.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, PinkyCupcake said:

LOL! That's Christine Sydelko. Iconic video, anyway :D

I had never heard of her and I thank you for introducing her to me!  Of course I headed over to twitter.  I need her on my twitter feed.

• Love 2

Doing the math...

Joy has a kid this year...a girl...who gets married at 17 years old (hard to keep 'em pure...of heart) who has a son immediately, who then gets ready to propose  because he will flip 5 houses before he turns 18 years old...

Joy gets to wear the diamond for 35years....before it gets pried off of her finger...

30 years or so...was an exaggeration but not too far off the realm of possibility

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

A grand kid in 30 years??

yes. that is possible .  these two horny bunnies will be parents , I give them 18 months. then 18-19 years later that little love-bundle will be "courting" and the grand within 2 years.

So that is : Parents in 2019, that one married in 2038 and grand-baby 2040.  2040 minus 2017 is only 23 years. And the ring pass-down goes in the will , as soon as grand-baby has a name.

That why I said earlier, if Austin is 5th generation ring stone owner, that means the owner probably was about 80 years ago (4 generations times 20).  2017-80 yrs is 1937 - near the end of the great depression.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Ratings are in:  1.340 M viewers and a .36 rating.

Damn. They've held steady since the drop off after Joy's wedding. However, I hold out hope that the clipshows will tank, unless one week was being reserved for the Jilly Muffin VSE. But will that even happen now? It's pretty clear that poor Sammy is in the NICU. If Jill had a routine c-section, shouldn't she be released today? We haven't seen her at all, and they've certainly taken pictures of her in the NICU with her baby and scrubbed down spouse. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Deena's Facebook under "About Deena"

First off I love God with all my heart!! He's brought me through some of the hardest trials of my life and for that I could never thank him enough! I've played soccer since I was about five. I've also been in theater since I was about ten. Those are my first loves. lol! I have one sister and two brothers. I love my family very much! I love to hang out with friends and play games. I love to do missions work and live in other countries. I taught English in Mexico for over 9 months and loved learning about the culture, traditions, and language. Even more importantly I loved sharing the gospel and making some very special friends. I see myself doing missions in the future wherever the Lord leads me. If there is any life lesson that I've learned these past few years it is to completely rely on the Lord and desperately seek HIS will for my life and not my own selfish desires. Faith is not meant to be easy but it is so very rewarding. I will seek HIM in all that I do.

From Dan's Instagram, they are a bit different than the Duggars

that's all I've got, lol

She now needs to teach proper English to Jill. Yes, I am heading to the Prayer Closet.

(edited)

I just looked at Deena's Instagram and there's a couple cute pics of her with Jill at the sprinkle, and another really sweet one of her cuddling with Izzy. Maybe Jill would benefit from spending time with Dan and Deena. The Dullards almost came off as likable in that dinner scene. Imagine the strides they could make if they hung out with normal people. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

By the way, Austin didn't say, "Will you marry me?", he said "Would you marry me?" Home schoolin' at it's finest!

Well I would but... lol

1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Damn. They've held steady since the drop off after Joy's wedding. However, I hold out hope that the clipshows will tank, unless one week was being reserved for the Jilly Muffin VSE. But will that even happen now? It's pretty clear that poor Sammy is in the NICU. If Jill had a routine c-section, shouldn't she be released today? We haven't seen her at all, and they've certainly taken pictures of her in the NICU with her baby and scrubbed down spouse. 

If she were gone she would be released today. We shall see.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Annb67 said:

Well I would but... lol

If she were gone she would be released today. We shall see.

There is a federal law that guarantees up to 4 days in the hospital for a cesarean, 2 for a vaginal birth.  Presuming Samuel isn't ready to be released today, I wouldn't expect Jill to be discharged until tomorrow.  Most NICU moms want to stay with their baby as long as possible and I am sure Jill is no exception.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

There is a federal law that guarantees up to 4 days in the hospital for a cesarean, 2 for a vaginal birth.  Presuming Samuel isn't ready to be released today, I wouldn't expect Jill to be discharged until tomorrow.  Most NICU moms want to stay with their baby as long as possible and I am sure Jill is no exception.

Well see, that's what happens when you haven't had a baby in 20 years. They go and change things lol. Thanks for the info.

• Love 2