Type keyword(s) to search

The Lonely Js Club: Jana, Jason, James, Jackson & Johannah

Message added by Scarlett45,

Discussing the charges against Jana is fine, but do not post any information that reveals her address/contact information- even if said documents are public (i.e. a part of court proceedings.)

Discussing charges against Jana is NOT a jumping off point to speculate on other instances abuse/neglect etc towards the M-children or to elaborate on Josh's conviction and potential victims.  

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

I got the impression that it was for the weekend camp. That's the one he was inspired to start from his trip down under.

Ah,  that moment when you run so many fraudulent Bible study camps people can’t tell them apart. 

• LOL 22
  • Love 2

In further looking into Jed's Thomas Lakeview bible church thing.

Thomas Lakeview Bible church is just at the end of Arbor Acres ave at the corner. less than a mile from the TTH.

from the pics it looks like maybe it is the church building Jana and the Howler construction crew were remodeling a while back

Edited by crazy8s
  • Useful 5
15 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

Thomas Lakeview Bible church is just at the end of Arbor Acres ave at the corner. less than a mile from the TTH.

from the pics it looks like maybe it is the church building Jana and the Howler construction crew were remodeling a while back

Yes, that sounds right. I was trying to check on my phone yesterday--and that map feature on the property records site is not very mobile-friendly--and then I forgot to look when I was on a laptop. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, crazy8s said:

So Jed!'s big selling point for the election is that he's starting a religion. And he's already renovated the church. 

Seems dicey. The "elect your local pastor" thing didn't work out for Paul Caldwell. And (while his looks kind of skeeve me out for some reason...) he doesn't even have Jed!'s supremely punchable face. 

....On a slightly different topic -- it'd be funny if the entire inheritance JB and M end up passing on to the 19 consists of stuff like a badly renovated church building, the big round reno and the unrenovated toxic-swimming-pool house....

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 8
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

So Jed!'s big selling point for the election is that he's starting a religion. And he's already renovated the church. 

Seems dicey. The "elect your local pastor" thing didn't work out for Paul Caldwell. And (while his looks kind of skeeve me out for some reason...) he doesn't even have Jed!'s supremely punchable face. 

....On a slightly different topic -- it'd be funny if the entire inheritance JB and M end up passing on to the 19 consists of stuff like a badly renovated church building, the big round reno and the unrenovated toxic-swimming-pool house....

He’ll start selling indulgences, just watch.

• LOL 7
On 2/8/2020 at 1:22 PM, Tasya said:

Jed! looks 5-10 years older than his twin. Jeremiah really must not tow the line too well for them to have gone with Jed! for the political career. 

And the receding hair line has caught up with Jed.

• LOL 2
Just now, Churchhoney said:

Does this echo the order and timing of their birth, perhaps? 😁

No Jed is older than Jer. @Sew Sumi beat me to it.

Both sets of Duggar twins are alphabetical.

Jana is older than John David. 

Jedidiah is older than Jeremiah.

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of twins were like that and their parents did that consciously or unconsciously.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

the race results site shows the "several kids" who participated were Jed and Jer.

No other duggars listed in any age division - male or female

5 of the Andregg girls were there running though. in the 15-19 group 3 andregg girls placed 1st, 2nd and 3rd. 20yr old sister was 5th in her group

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jed! showing off his connections. (1 vid, 1 pic)

I wonder how much Jed2020 raised for Special Olympics? I'm sure this was just for a photo op & a one & done moment but it would be nice if Jed also volunteered  to be a helper/hugger (not sure what the volunteers are called now) when they have the actual Special Olympics competitions.   

• Love 5
4 hours ago, crazy8s said:

the race results site shows the "several kids" who participated were Jed and Jer.

No other duggars listed in any age division - male or female

5 of the Andregg girls were there running though. in the 15-19 group 3 andregg girls placed 1st, 2nd and 3rd. 20yr old sister was 5th in her group

I misquoted the Duggar page - it was "several of our children participated".

maybe they intentionally didn't name Jed - because if his family thinks of two 20yr olds as children how will that get votes for Jed!

• LOL 5
10 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Guessing Jed! was slow because he was running behind the girls.

10 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Guessing Jed! was slow because he was running behind the girls.

Yeah, the girls kept shouting Nike so he had to keep looking away. 

• LOL 6

how much did the person who supposedly challenged him. Clint Penzo raise for Special Olympics?

when I search I get a whole lot of Jed.

also people aren't happy with Jed! for using the outdated term special needs children

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

how much did the person who supposedly challenged him. Clint Penzo raise for Special Olympics?

when I search I get a whole lot of Jed.

also people aren't happy with Jed! for using the outdated term special needs children

Please help me here..... what is the new term?  Special needs is the one I am familiar with.  And it is Special Olympics. Confused.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, fonfereksglen said:

Please help me here..... what is the new term?  Special needs is the one I am familiar with.  And it is Special Olympics. Confused.

apparently the new term is a re wording Children with special needs. in theory to put the child first and special needs second.

I had never heard such a thing either, but many called out Jed on his outdated language.

In all honesty I would have made the same mistake on that one

• Useful 2
  • Love 12
2 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

apparently the new term is a re wording Children with special needs. in theory to put the child first and special needs second.

I had never heard such a thing either, but many called out Jed on his outdated language.

In all honesty I would have made the same mistake on that one

I think the thought is the same with diagnoses and other differences. Rather than say - he's autistic, it's better to say he has autism or - he's schizophrenic, he has schizophrenia or - homeless folks, folks with housing insecurity, etc.

In other words, folks aren't a diagnosis, difference or problem, they have diagnoses, differences and problems.

• Useful 4
  • Love 15
52 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I think the thought is the same with diagnoses and other differences. Rather than say - he's autistic, it's better to say he has autism or - he's schizophrenic, he has schizophrenia or - homeless folks, folks with housing insecurity, etc.

In other words, folks aren't a diagnosis, difference or problem, they have diagnoses, differences and problems.

yes that is the idea

mrcrazy8s has been involved with our nephew and the special olympics program for years.

nephew is now a 32 yr old, 6' 2 man with autism, his father has passed away and he needs a big guy to take him to bowling, baseball, track and field etc. we have always referred to him as our nephew with autism, if we needed to explain at all.

the special needs wording has not been a big topic so I missed any change there

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
55 minutes ago, SMama said:

I wouldn’t consider it new, I was aware of the terminology 12 years ago. In terms of what is/isn’t offensive, I always listen to the affected individual(s).  

I have heard so many parents still use the term that I was truly confused.  Thank you for that simple guidance.  

• Love 6

Jed's plunge was a photo op for his campaign.  He doesn't give too hoots about the organization he's pretending to support.  One of Mr. Six's principals has a daughter with Down Syndrome.  She is an amazing and accomplished young woman.  Each year, the office supports the Maryland State Police and Special Olympics for the Annual Polar Bear Plunge.  Many guys in the office have done regular donations, but there's an option to sign up as a Super Plunger.  Each person must raise a minimum amount (I want to say it's either $500 or $1000), and they commit to plunging once every hour for 24 hours.  24 plunges into the Chesapeake Bay.  That's a commitment.  (We always make a donation to one of Mr. Six's closest friends who does the Super Plunge).

• Love 15
4 hours ago, SMama said:

I wouldn’t consider it new, I was aware of the terminology 12 years ago. In terms of what is/isn’t offensive, I always listen to the affected individual(s).  

Yes, I learned it over a decade ago as well.  As was mentioned, it's "a child with autism," not "an autistic child," and it's "a child with special needs," not "a special needs child."  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Yes, I learned it over a decade ago as well.  As was mentioned, it's "a child with autism," not "an autistic child," and it's "a child with special needs," not "a special needs child."  

I was reading an article recently, though, which mentioned that people with autism (and presumably those with other issues) are somewhat split on their preferred wording. Some feel, as has been mentioned that "people with autism" brings them as people to the forefront, and the autism secondary, but there are others who prefer to be called "autistic", as they see the autism as an inherent part of what makes them them. I don't remember the reasoning, exactly, but they embraced the label. 

Sorry this is off topic, Going to move it to the prayer closet as well. This is an interesting side-discussion, and I'd hate to see it lost.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

The phrasing of "with" to indicate a condition or disability is not new to me either--I've been encountering variations of this issue while editing for several years. As a general rule, it is what I recommend, though I do think a lot of times people are just unaware of this discussion. I likely wouldn't be if it didn't come up for work. 

However, I agree with @SMama and @Jynnan tonnix on defaulting to the preferences of the person who is affected. As I've explained to a few authors over the years, lecturing people about the terms you think they should be using to describe themselves when you are not in that category is never a good look. 

That being said, I'd say Jed is probably completely unaware this debate exists, and it would never have occurred to him to reconsider the phrasing.

That $100 he donated himself is all he could raise for the event when he challenged supporters to help him reach $5,000 is pretty pathetic. The organization I do charity work for is hardly a fundraising juggernaut, but we can pull in over 10 times that in a single day at an event without soliciting internet donations. You'd think a budding young politician with an internet presence would be able to pull in a little more. 

BTW, Jed's opponent raised $1725 from more than just his own donation. He also donated more to the cause than Jed did. Also I think I know one of the people who donated to him. 😂

https://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/clint-penzo/beaverlakepolarplunge2020

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 3
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, Zella said:

That $100 he donated himself is all he could raise for the event when he challenged supporters to help him reach $5,000 is pretty pathetic. The organization I do charity work for is hardly a fundraising juggernaut, but we can pull in over 10 times that in a single day at an event without soliciting internet donations. You'd think a budding young politician with an internet presence would be able to pull in a little more. 

BTW, Jed's opponent raised $1725 from more than just his own donation. He also donated more to the cause than Jed did. Also I think I know one of the people who donated to him. 😂

Given that Jed! is a Duggar!, I suppose we can attribute his lousy fundraising effort to the facts that a) he doesn't know how to do anything; b) as a Duggar he hardly knows any other humans so it's hard to solicit donations; c) as a Duggar and Gothardite the few humans he does know are mostly grumpy hateful greedy jerks who want to keep everything themselves and also fear their donations might support somebody who has the wrong sex, color, belief system, nationality, gender identity, etc.; d) he doesn't give a crap about anything that's an inch beyond his own nose; and e) he's a lazy bum. 

Also, f) he's an idiot. Because how can you be running for office and not realize that this very very minimal achievement for this unexceptionable cause reflects very very badly on you. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 22
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Given that Jed! is a Duggar!, I suppose we can attribute his lousy fundraising effort to the facts that a) he doesn't know how to do anything; b) as a Duggar he hardly knows any other humans so it's hard to solicit donations; c) as a Duggar and Gothardite the few humans he does know are mostly grumpy hateful greedy jerks who want to keep everything themselves and also fear their donations might support somebody who has the wrong sex, color, belief system, nationality, gender identity, etc.; d) he doesn't give a crap about anything that's an inch beyond his own nose; and e) he's a lazy bum. 

Also, f) he's an idiot. Because how can you be running for office and not realize that this very very minimal achievement for this unexceptionable cause reflects very very badly on you. 

Great points! Especially the one about a limited pool of people they actually know. For all their "fame," they have a fairly small social circle, and it seems like nobody in it even gave Jed a pity donation.

It also lends credence, to me, about the reporting in 2002 about how Jim Bob largely financed his own campaign. This is the Duggar way, and I doubt anyone in the family learned anything from that disaster of a campaign.

Yesterday I also learned from someone on my county election commission that Arkansas law about residency for voter registration is defined as "where you lay your head." (Not in a talk about the Duggars--i was doing training to be a poll worker for the primary.) So, if Jed is not living in that house he is registered in, he is in violation of the law. The reporters I contacted about that a couple of months ago never seemed terribly interested. 😞

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
26 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

I don't think Jed even tried to raise any money. It was a just photo op for his campaign. He was trying to make himself look good. 

Yup. And show off his political connections. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Yup. And show off his political connections. 

Wonder how much this line in his competitor's pitch for donations pulled in money to help the kids and defeat Jed! .... "Many thanks for your support -- and don't forget to forward this to anyone who you think might want to see Jed Duggar get wet!"

😁

He should've posted that here. His total would've soared. 

Also, this guy has something else that the Duggars! lack! 100! percent!! A sense of humor. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 14

I still want the Duggars/Jed! to answer one simple question: Why is now OK for Jed! to be living away from his parents' home while still unmarried? His parents went out of their way on TV to state their unmarried children must continue to live at home- religious/social beliefs? Answer that one, Duggars.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

I still want the Duggars/Jed! to answer one simple question: Why is now OK for Jed! to be living away from his parents' home while still unmarried? His parents went out of their way on TV to state their unmarried children must continue to live at home- religious/social beliefs? Answer that one, Duggars.

Because he has to win the political game so Blob can be his puppet master. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
On 2/14/2020 at 12:04 PM, Zella said:

The phrasing of "with" to indicate a condition or disability is not new to me either--I've been encountering variations of this issue while editing for several years. As a general rule, it is what I recommend, though I do think a lot of times people are just unaware of this discussion. I likely wouldn't be if it didn't come up for work. 

However, I agree with @SMama and @Jynnan tonnix on defaulting to the preferences of the person who is affected. As I've explained to a few authors over the years, lecturing people about the terms you think they should be using to describe themselves when you are not in that category is never a good look. 

That being said, I'd say Jed is probably completely unaware this debate exists, and it would never have occurred to him to reconsider the phrasing.

Jed!’s Internet presence is utterly pathetic, but that Penzo guy’s is worse. I think Jed! basically doesn’t know anyone. Like no actual friends, no real colleagues because he doesn’t have a real job. I think he’s a candidate because no one else thinks it’s worth contesting. 

• Love 9