Type keyword(s) to search

The Lonely Js Club: Jana, Jason, James, Jackson & Johannah

Message added by Scarlett45,

Discussing the charges against Jana is fine, but do not post any information that reveals her address/contact information- even if said documents are public (i.e. a part of court proceedings.)

Discussing charges against Jana is NOT a jumping off point to speculate on other instances abuse/neglect etc towards the M-children or to elaborate on Josh's conviction and potential victims.  

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Loves2Dance said:

Nah. Jana I'm iffy about on whether or not staying is her choice. I lean more towards her choice because Lord knows what would happen to the youngers if she did. But JD---I think JD is absolutely by choice. I think he likes and wants the idea of marriage, but I don't think he's found the 'her' yet and when he does, even JB won't stop him. 

I don't think they have to be mutually exclusive actually. Jana probably has a say and JB and Michelle recognize the TTH would fall apart if she did leave so they haven't pushed the issue.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Genevrier said:

Is there a ‘None of the Above’ option? Because if those were my only choices, I’d kill myself. 

That could probably be arranged...I'm sure Satan would be spicier than all 3 Duggar boys combined. 

• Love 3
On 06/03/2018 at 11:44 AM, Sew Sumi said:

The Bontrager retreat is much cheaper than Journey to the Heart. And depending on when Lauren went, she may or may not have had a face-to-face with Gothard, which was part of the deal before he was deposed. 

Here's the Bontrager's advert for their latest retreat. 

Allison Bontrager, speaking from the twenties via time machine? Or will it be her ghost?

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Loves2Dance said:

That could probably be arranged...I'm sure Satan would be spicier than all 3 Duggar boys combined. 

Satan would be more fun and interesting than the Duggar men boys. Of course, in Smuggar's case, the devil made him do it!

On 3/5/2018 at 3:54 PM, DragonFaerie said:

In the People article he says:  I can definitely say I have found a great friend.  FRIEND???!!!  No mention of love or wanting to spend the rest of his life with her, sigh.

http://people.com/tv/josiah-duggar-engaged-lauren-swanson/

I wonder if they will move to Georgia to be close to her family.  Looks like her dad owns a construction biz and a lawn care one as well.  Maybe Josiah can work for him to support his soon to be family?

Bahahahahaha.  A Duggar boy work??? No way. 

They only "work" for TLC/daddy. 

• Love 7

And less sentient than Joy. I didn't think that was possible, but look at the example TFDW married. 

I also see Josiah becoming a similarly controlling ass as the years go by. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I also see Josiah becoming a similarly controlling ass as the years go by. 

I don't see Josiah as controlling, but you may know about him than I do.  Why do you think he'll become controlling?

• Love 4

I can't forget all that time he spent at ALERT. And if he's closeted, he may become a Waller clone. I don't think anything gets done in the Waller house without David's approval. I can see Josiah becoming similar. 

• Love 1

If I were JD or Jana and my potential mates were the likes of Derick, Kendra, Austin, etc. I think I would stay single forever.

That said, the two of them courting/getting married would be the ONLY way I would tune in to the show.  Otherwise I'll get my scoops from Twitter and you wonderful people.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

I don't see Josiah as controlling, but you may know about him than I do.  Why do you think he'll become controlling?

I can see him being controlling in that he's always trying to prove what we all think we know to be wrong. I'm not sure it'll be the same passive aggressive Waller style or Narcassist Big Brother Josh-ey, but he'll definitely fall into it. Kendra got lucky with Joe---as long as she puts out, he'll smiley like doofus and do anything she says. 

• Love 2

I don't know if Josiah will end up being controlling or not -- I know very little about him.

I do think, though, that they all have only their parents as role models. Parents serve as the primary role models for most people, but Josiah has literally never been exposed to other couples for more than a short stretch at a time. JB is an ass, but he does seem to love J'chelle, and I think that he's  as good a husband as he can be given his own personal limitations.

That having been said, they don't seem to be that into each other, and if Josiah is gay, that's not going to change just because he went to ALERT over and over and over again.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, SoupyShoes said:

This made me think of a case we're studying in Business Law right now where a man sued Satan for making him do bad things. Maybe there's hope for Josh yet!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_ex_rel._Gerald_Mayo_v._Satan_and_His_Staff

"Ultimately, though, the Court refused the request to proceed in forma pauperis because the plaintiff had not included written instructions for how the U.S. Marshal could serve process on Satan."

I guess the court didn't have Josh's address because Satan lives in the fortress he built in Josh's heart.

• Love 23

Okay, serving Satan court papers made me laugh really hard.

Weirdly enough, it also reminds me of something I was recently reading: a book about the Manson Family. It said Manson was once booked into jail as "Manson, Charles M. aka Jesus Christ, God." I read a lot of true crime but couldn't remember coming across an alias that made me do a double-take quite like that one. 

• Love 5
On 3/7/2018 at 2:52 PM, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

Bahahahahaha.  A Duggar boy work??? No way. 

They only "work" for TLC/daddy. 

According to Derrick, they don't work for TLC, they VOLUNTEER for TLC.

Also, is anyone else getting a 502 Bad Gateway error on the Josiah topic name poll? The thread opens fine when I'm not logged in, but after I login and then try to open it, I get that error message. It's been a few weeks since I've been able to spend time here, so not sure if there's something I'm doing wrong I don't know about.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, Booey said:

According to Derrick, they don't work for TLC, they VOLUNTEER for TLC.

Also, is anyone else getting a 502 Bad Gateway error on the Josiah topic name poll? The thread opens fine when I'm not logged in, but after I login and then try to open it, I get that error message. It's been a few weeks since I've been able to spend time here, so not sure if there's something I'm doing wrong I don't know about.

Yes I am too.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, Booey said:

The 502 Bad Gateway message is because two servers on the Internet cannot communicate with each other.  It's an omen.  This engagement is doomed. 

• Love 16
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

There is a notice about the poll being wonky.  It's being worked.

Thanks! Sorry about that, I didn't scroll down far enough and didn't see the topic, my bad! I agree, it's a bad omen.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Mollie said:

The 502 Bad Gateway message is because two servers on the Internet cannot communicate with each other.  It's an omen.  This engagement is doomed. 

I wonder if even now, Lauren's dad is on the phone with JB.  With words along the lines of - If Josiah isn't paid directly by TLC so that I know he can support my daughter and my future grandkids, then the engagement is off!  

• Love 13

Good grief, that video.  

"Is it a snapper"?  No, numbnuts, it's a box turtle.  I had 3 adults and 1 baby that looked exactly like that one.  Fred, Barney, and Charlie (I cannot remember the baby's name, oops).  They were low-maintenance and loved spaghetti with sauce.

Yep, I'm sure most 17-year-old young men have not bought their first house.  Know why?  Cause they are finishing up high school, going to football games, and learning how to undo a woman's bra one handed.  

Something positive.  Hmm?  It does look like they live in a beautiful area.  

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

I find it hard to believe that he bought that house without daddy’s help. I don’t think mowing lawns for a few summers pays that much. I also would not want to buy a house or car from them.

It just occurred to me, but I don't think that any of them are getting "paid" in any sense that we would recognize. I think that they're paid on paper in some sort of chit or point system. Why would JB pay them? He'd have to have an accountant, and write them checks; they'd have to pay taxes on the money they earned, etc. And,most importantly, they'd have their own money and some autonomy from JB.

I bet they earn points every week, and JB docks their points for rent, utilities, and spending money. Maybe Ben earned enough points to "buy" Grandma Mary's house. Maybe j-boy has enough Duggar Dollars to buy some run-down house. Saving $30,000 Duggar Dollars when you don't go to school, and you don't pay taxes is a lot easier than earning $30,000 real dollars.

• Love 13
9 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Did anyone else notice that friend Elijah called JB "Uncle" Jim Bob?  What's with that? I rewound it to make sure I heard correctly. 

Yeah, I wondered about that, too.

Maybe it's some Gothardite prescription to avoid being "disrespectful" by calling him Jizm Bob (since Jizm Bob is such an important adult umbrella of protection and all)? While not going all the way to "formal" and calling him "Mr. Duggar"?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Yeah, I wondered about that, too.

Maybe it's some Gothardite prescription to avoid being "disrespectful" by calling him Jizm Bob (since Jizm Bob is such an important adult umbrella of protection and all)? While not going all the way to "formal" and calling him "Mr. Duggar"?

Maybe he should go with Uncle Jizm? Or Uncle Boob? I find them more endearing than straight up Uncle Jim Bob.

• Love 7

I know some people do that with family friends (have the kids call them "Aunt" or "Uncle"), but it always made me uncomfortable and I'm glad my parents didn't do this. 

Edited to add: Have any other kids featured on the show called JB or Michelle "Uncle" or Aunt"?

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Did anyone else notice that friend Elijah called JB "Uncle" Jim Bob?  What's with that? I rewound it to make sure I heard correctly. 

This is pretty common in the South. Adults are always addressed with some sort of honorific. The relationship is close and informal, so he doesn't call JB "Mr. Duggar" but "Uncle Jim Bob." Jill refers to her MIL as "Miss Cathy." 

I grew up in the south and have many friends who are older --  closer in age to my parents. I refer to them as Mr SoAndSo and Mrs. WhatsHerName; I would never call them by their given names.

• Love 11

i can't recall any non-family member even addressing Mere and/or Pere Duggar. Heck, I don't even know what Kendra, Lauren, Ben, Derelict, or Austin call them (Anna's been all over the map through the years). I think Jeremy called Boob by his first name, but I don't ever recall him addressing Mechelle. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3

I am from the South, too, but we didn't do the uncle/aunt thing unless you were family. Actually, we don't even do that all that much with family. I always associated it more with the Deep South than the Upper South. It's probably more dependent on family tradition than anything. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Zella said:

I know some people do that with family friends (have the kids call them "Aunt" or "Uncle"), but it always made me uncomfortable and I'm glad my parents didn't do this. 

Edited to add: Have any other kids featured on the show called JB or Michelle "Uncle" or Aunt"?

9 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

This is pretty common in the South. Adults are always addressed with some sort of honorific. The relationship is close and informal, so he doesn't call JB "Mr. Duggar" but "Uncle Jim Bob." Jill refers to her MIL as "Miss Cathy." 

I grew up in the south and have many friends who are older --  closer in age to my parents. I refer to them as Mr SoAndSo and Mrs. WhatsHerName; I would never call them by their given names.

Yes that’s very common in the south, among Black Americans across the country and many Asian/Asian American cultures. It’s a way of showing a familiar relationship but still showing respect to your elders. I grew up doing it so it sounds very natural to me. 

• Love 7

It isn't exclusively southern though. My mother was from the east coast of Canada (Newfoundland) and she had us call family friends or distant relatives "Uncle Fred" and such. I stopped doing it very young when I realized how weird it was. I even remember one relative, some cousin of my mother's, snapping at me, "I'm not your aunt!" So not everyone was on board with it.

Edited by momofsquid
added embarrassing moment
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, momofsquid said:

It isn't exclusively southern though. My mother was from the east coast of Canada (Newfoundland) and she had us call family friends or distant relatives "Uncle Fred" and such. I stopped doing it very young when I realized how weird it was. I even remember one relative, some cousin of my mother's, snapping at me, "I'm not your aunt!" So not everyone was on board with it.

I’m sorry your relative snapped at you when you were a child when you were just trying to show them respect and familiarity. I also have cousins much older than me I refer to as Aunt/Uncle (actually the uncles are dead now) as a sign of respect. 

Interesting how different attitudes are about things across North America- before these boards I would have never thought it was “weird” or “odd” to do such a thing. In my world it meant your parents raised you to have courtesy. 

So far all the Duggars oddities Jill calling her mother in law “Miss Cathy” and the like shows a respect with a friendliness but not an intimacy. A good medium in my book. But I’m someone who thinks calling people who did not raise you “Mom/Dad”(or a variety there of) is odd. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 15

i am teaching my grandkids to address people as 'miss so and so' or mister 'so and so'.  it comes naturally now. i wasn't raised that way but as an older adult i thought it was more respectful.  wish i had done that with my own kids. 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, zoomama said:

i am teaching my grandkids to address people as 'miss so and so' or mister 'so and so'.  it comes naturally now. i wasn't raised that way but as an older adult i thought it was more respectful.  wish i had done that with my own kids. 

I do that with my kiddo when he first meets someone. He can drop it after that (and he often does, he's 4) but he will start out with calling someone "miss/mr so and so"

• Love 1
19 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

So much this. I'm a southerner and we'd never do that. My older cousins who are in their 40s and were raised in California started calling my parents by their first names only in their 20s....and my parents' reactions were....interesting, to say the least.

I have family friends we call "Uncle so-and-so" because that's what they or my parents referred to them as when speaking to me as a kid.  Some are Mr and Mrs.  A coach I had growing up was a blood uncle to a girl who had played on the team years before. She called him Uncle Jack instead of Coach Jack, so the other girls jokingly called him Uncle Jack, too, and it stuck.  The younger girls who made the team the next year and played with some of the girls from the year before started calling him Uncle Jack, too, and it stuck....for years. Everyone liked him (he was a great coach and mentor) and it just got passed down to new girls on the team each year.  A decade after he coached his niece, the current team members were calling him Uncle Jack.  Today, "Uncle Jack" has probably a hundred faux-nieces in the town where I grew up. I ran into him a few years ago in my hometown and immediately was like "Uncle Jack is here!" and told all the girls I had played on the team with that I'm in contact with on facebook that I ran into "Uncle Jack" and he was doing well. 

It could be something that started as a joke or out of adoration/respect (although this is Jim Bob, so....maybe not) that led to JB being called Uncle.  Somehow I think he's not quite as likable as Uncle Jack.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 10

Having grown up speaking Polish, there was also the complication of having the formal "you" (Pan/Pani which is basically equivalent to Mr/Mrs, but not in a form which exactly translates into English) vs the informal "ty". Since I grew up in England where there were very few people other than my parents to speak Polish to, I never did learn to be comfortable with the formal "you" and probably caused my parents a lot of embarrassment when we visited Poland because of my tendency to use the informal form pretty indiscriminately. I do remember knowing a few people when I was young whom I called by a form of auntie or uncle, and an adopted "grandma", but I don't recall that I used their actual names along with the title.

• Love 4
On 3/14/2018 at 11:02 PM, Catfin said:

Will they invite Marjorie's family to the wedding? What is the protocol?

Delete you instagram and never speak of her again, apparently. 

I'd have her come to the ceremony and return the piece of his heart she stole.

• Love 19