Type keyword(s) to search

The Lonely Js Club: Jana, Jason, James, Jackson & Johannah

Message added by Scarlett45,

Discussing the charges against Jana is fine, but do not post any information that reveals her address/contact information- even if said documents are public (i.e. a part of court proceedings.)

Discussing charges against Jana is NOT a jumping off point to speculate on other instances abuse/neglect etc towards the M-children or to elaborate on Josh's conviction and potential victims.  

• Start Topic

James is a terrible narrator.  "Well, we're in uh Rome.  Rome right?  Now we're going to visit some square-ish uh thing.  We were just in a church uh cathedral uh thing.  We're going to get some pizza."  There's so much amazing food in Italy and all over Europe that eating nothing but pizza is sad.  At least some of them ate salads and pasta.

• Like 2
  • LOL 6
24 minutes ago, Meow Mix said:

We're going to get some pizza."  There's so much amazing food in Italy and all over Europe that eating nothing but pizza is sad.  At least some of them ate salads and pasta.

They wouldn't know real authentic food even if the food bit them in the ass.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
12 minutes ago, ChristmasCandy said:

They wouldn't know real authentic food even if the food bit them in the ass.

Good lord, they're in Italy!  Surely, they could manage to eat a plate of spaghetti.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 8

I live in a state with a Vienna and a Cairo...neither one pronounced the way it should be (Vie-anna and Karo (like the syrup) respectively). I guess mispronunciation is a fairly common phenomenon, not that I'm a fan of it.

Topic: I watched part of the Rome video. A few observations:
James walking around filming is every tourist that runs over someone else because they're too busy with their selfie stick instead of watching where they're going. Encountered several of those at Edinburgh Castle.
Most of the part I saw Jed! and Katey were taking care of the baby themselves. That was refreshing.
At a store window: "Oh look-clams! (they were oysters)
He complains at one point it's hard finding places to eat. I haven't been to Italy yet, but I would think there would be a overabundance of places to eat in Rome? Perhaps he meant something the whole group would agree on, and phrased it badly?

• Like 7
19 minutes ago, Turquoise said:

He complains at one point it's hard finding places to eat. I haven't been to Italy yet, but I would think there would be a overabundance of places to eat in Rome? Perhaps he meant something the whole group would agree on, and phrased it badly?

There is no shortage of restaurants in Rome, and close to the main tourist destinations tourist traps abound.  But he's in Italy and not Rome, Ga or Rome, NY.  Signage is more discreet and in Italian, so are the menus (also very few places have accompanying pictures).  I can see this group having difficulty choosing a place to eat.  They are not adventurous eaters, and will have to Google every word instead of taking a risk.    

I am also having a private laugh at the Duggars getting coffee in Italy.  Italian coffee culture is the anthesis of a Duggar Starbucks Run.  There's no to go cups, nor are there different sizes nor do the Italians ice their coffee.  You also either stand up and quickly drink your espresso or sit down and savor your coffee and accompanying pastry.   

• Like 9
1 hour ago, ChristmasCandy said:

I don't think that Italy has Chick-fil-A.

Imagine the Italian chicken is better too.  I'm not a fan of dark meat chicken, but I was surprised to find how tasty it was in Germany.

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

They  must really feel lost. 

Hey, I think they got their bearings when they saw a McD's.  They probably ate there too.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
6 hours ago, Notabug said:

Good lord, they're in Italy!  Surely, they could manage to eat a plate of spaghetti.  

That reminds me of a favorite episode-Sopranos when Tony and the boys go to Italy (I can't recall if it was Sicily or not), and were surprised by genuine Italian cuisine.  They were shocked Italians don't have "sunday gravy."  I also enjoyed how the local "boss" was a woman.

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

That reminds me of a favorite episode-Sopranos when Tony and the boys go to Italy (I can't recall if it was Sicily or not), and were surprised by genuine Italian cuisine.  They were shocked Italians don't have "sunday gravy."  I also enjoyed how the local "boss" was a woman.

The Duggars would probably also be shocked at the smaller portions and that there is less sauce on the pasta than in the US.  They'd no doubt complain about it and completely ignore the fact that the pasta and sauce are so perfectly matched and the seasoning blended in just the right proportions that even a small serving with less sauce is tastier than anything you can get in the US.

live in a state with a Vienna and a Cairo...neither one pronounced the way it should be (Vie-anna and Karo (like the syrup) respectively). I guess mispronunciation is a fairly common phenomenon, not that I'm a fan of i

It doesn't bother me because I figure the people who settled those US towns so long ago were naming them out of respect for important historical cities or to honor places where their ancestors lived.  They didn't have TV, radio or the internet, most of them never had a chance to travel. They'd never heard them pronounced aloud by a native of the original place. They'd probably read the names in a book or heard about them in family stories or history class and had no way to know the pronunciation was off.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 11
  • Applause 1
2 minutes ago, Notabug said:

The Duggars would probably also be shocked at the smaller portions and that there is less sauce on the pasta than in the US.  They'd no doubt complain about it and completely ignore the fact that the pasta and sauce are so perfectly matched and the seasoning blended in just the right proportions that even a small serving with less sauce is tastier than anything you can get in the US.

Well, pasta is a course in Italy.  It comes after the antipasti and before the meat course.  Then you have espresso and dessert.  Italians don't go to restaurants to eat a big bowl of pasta with salad and bread.  

The only time I went to Italy was before Michelle's laundry room breakdown, but I still remember the food.  Even as a tourist, I enjoyed multi-course lunches and wine. Lots and lots of wine as a 16 year old plus ordering my first beer at a bar no questions asked.  When in Rome, you eat like an Italian.  Let your waiter choose you courses, and sit back and enjoy.  

• Like 7
  • Useful 2

I am sad to have watched (on fast-forward mostly) that waste-o-time. When Katey(maybe) was unpacking a bag and Jed! (maybe) was playing with their kid, she commented that the carry-on was full of diapers and Hogan's Heroes. WTactualH? So, they travel with DVDs? So, they think they'll be able to play American DVDs in the EU? So, they like Hogan's Heroes?

Also, the dialogue was pretty muted and then the video would change back to INCIDENTAL MUSIC and blow out my eardrums. I expect they are trying to monetize this so maybe try at least a bit?

Edited by jcbrown
  • Useful 2
15 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I am sad to have watched (on fast-forward mostly) that waste-o-time. When Katey(maybe) was unpacking a bag and Jed! (maybe) was playing with their kid, she commented that the carry-on was full of diapers and Hogan's Heroes. WTactualH? So, they travel with DVDs? So, they think they'll be able to play American DVDs in the EU? So, they like Hogan's Heroes?

Also, the dialogue was pretty muted and then the video would change back to INCIDENTAL MUSIC and blow out my eardrums. I expect they are trying to monetize this so maybe try at least a bit?

Was this a video from Jed or James? 

42 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

When Katey(maybe) was unpacking a bag and Jed! (maybe) was playing with their kid, she commented that the carry-on was full of diapers and Hogan's Heroes. WTactualH? So, they travel with DVDs? So, they think they'll be able to play American DVDs in the EU? So, they like Hogan's Heroes?

I saw that.  And Jed was saying something like, "Yaaay!  Hogan's Heroes tonight!" 

On vacation?  And on vacation in one of the most beautiful and historical cities in the world?  Who does that?  Really?

• Like 7
  • LOL 5

9 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

I saw that.  And Jed was saying something like, "Yaaay!  Hogan's Heroes tonight!" 

On vacation?  And on vacation in one of the most beautiful and historical cities in the world?  Who does that?  Really?

Exactly. Criminy ann.

38 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Was this a video from Jed or James? 

I think it was James?

• LOL 2
9 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

They would shocked to learn all about Bob Crane 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Wink 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 12
7 hours ago, Turquoise said:

I live in a state with a Vienna and a Cairo...neither one pronounced the way it should be (Vie-anna and Karo (like the syrup) respectively). I guess mispronunciation is a fairly common phenomenon, not that I'm a fan of it.

The people who named those towns hundreds of years ago probably learned the names from books. They didn't have the opportunity to learn the correct pronunciation.

Anyway, the way a person pronounces their own name is considered to be the correct way so it should be the same with the way the residents of a town pronounce its name. I think those Americanized pronunciations are cute.

[Just saw that Notabug made the same point about the origins of the pronunciations.]

Edited by Dehumidifier
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, ozziemom said:

The Duggars served their soon to be son in law Jeremy Stouffers frozen lasagna, I guess that’s the ultimate Italian dish to them. So it’s not surprising they are mystified by the actual food in Italy.

They themselves didn't say they were mystified.  That is being said here. They were seen in restaurants looking at menus and eating various dishes. Only one said he was eating a lot of pizza.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Well, pasta is a course in Italy.  It comes after the antipasti and before the meat course.  Then you have espresso and dessert.  Italians don't go to restaurants to eat a big bowl of pasta with salad and bread.  

The only time I went to Italy was before Michelle's laundry room breakdown, but I still remember the food.  Even as a tourist, I enjoyed multi-course lunches and wine. Lots and lots of wine as a 16 year old plus ordering my first beer at a bar no questions asked.  When in Rome, you eat like an Italian.  Let your waiter choose you courses, and sit back and enjoy.  

Plenty of places also serve two pasta courses; one white, one red.  And salad after the main course.  Meals last for hours and usually include a different wine to complement each course and often singing and dancing.  You haven't eaten Italian food if you haven't experienced the delights of a real Italian meal in Italy.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

California has a Delhi pronounced Del-hi.  My aunt lived in Nevada, Iowa--pronounced Na-vey-da.  Oh, and Tripoli, Iowa--pronounced Tip-oh-lee.  I would assume the people that named these places had never heard them pronounced, but I bet they knew where in the word the places were, unlike much of the current generation.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, ozziemom said:

The Duggars served their soon to be son in law Jeremy Stouffers frozen lasagna, I guess that’s the ultimate Italian dish to them. So it’s not surprising they are mystified by the actual food in Italy.

You mean that Stouffer's frozen lasagna isn't really Italian?

• LOL 13
8 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

The couple with a one-year old baby who needs a lot of sleep no matter what country it is in? Might cut down a bit on the exploring time.

Edited by Dehumidifier

Mod Announcement: 

It is best to think twice, post once when making sweeping generalizations about groups of people (i.e. everyone from a specific state, region or certain background). 

Speaking about your own experiences is fine, as YOUR experiences & interactions, not facts about people that you’ve never met. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
On 1/30/2023 at 7:29 AM, charmed1 said:

Are these videos supposed to be some kind of courtship advertisement to all the Fundie Future Broodmares of America?

Imagine the advertising copy!

"Hook up with a beige, bland Duggar boy and you too can spend your weekends staring blankly at a table, shoveling brown food into your maw, and watching hubby's hairline recede in real time! No fun whatsoever and all the squalling blessings God sends you, whether you can handle them or not! Sign up now!"

Get it line, ladies, am I right?

Edited by the-grey-lady
  • Like 1
  • LOL 11

Why would someone think people being incinerated alive in Pompeii was funny?

[FYI -- On my post of the the video, not in the video. Since removed. Sorry to give the wrong impression to some readers.]

Edited by Dehumidifier
Clarification.
  • Like 3

I haven't watched any of the videos, but I have no problem with the Duggars going into their vacation a bit naïve of the culture and history, but I would judge them if they came home just as clueless.

With that said, I'm sure they'll remain just as clueless and all this running around is just for bragging rights.

Maybe next up they should do a road trip hitting up all the foreign named cities and towns in the US and learn a little about US history and culture along the way.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I haven't watched any of the videos, but I have no problem with the Duggars going into their vacation a bit naïve of the culture and history, but I would judge them if they came home just as clueless.

With that said, I'm sure they'll remain just as clueless and all this running around is just for bragging rights.

Maybe next up they should do a road trip hitting up all the foreign named cities and towns in the US and learn a little about US history and culture along the way.

They should do that, but without cameras. Spare anyone else the torture of viewing it!

Edited by AstridM
  • LOL 1

It does seem they got more out of the visit to Pompeii than other places at least once they got out of the McDonald's.  It does strike me that they seem so low-key about getting to do al of this traveling.  I would have been over the moon at their age if I had the money and vacation time to do this.

• Like 13
2 hours ago, AstridM said:

They ate at McDonald’s. And recorded it . . . 🤦‍♀️

Hahaha!!  Not gonna lie. If I was there I would absolutely have to see if the Diet Coke tastes the same as it does in the US. BUT...I wouldn't record it. And I would only share that info with one of my best friends who is just as addicted to their fountain Diet Cokes as I am. ;)

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Like 7
48 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

Hahaha!!  Not gonna lie. If I was there I would absolutely have to see if the Diet Coke tastes the same as it does in the US. BUT...I wouldn't record it. And I would only share that info with one of my best friends who is just as addicted to their fountain Diet Cokes as I am. ;)

And therein lies the difference 🤣.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Dehumidifier said:

The drive from Rome to Pompeii is 240 kilometers and takes about 2 hours 30 minutes. Clearly they should have wasted time getting a sit down cooked to order breakfast instead of grabbing a quick meal en-route at a McDonalds 🙄.

https://www.sightseeingtoursitaly.com/tips-articles/how-far-is-pompeii-from-rome/

They went to one McDonald’s, found it closed, then spent time finding yet another McDonald’s. And sat down and ate - pastries. Because you know there aren’t many other places to find pastries in Italy. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 5
  • LOL 11
1 hour ago, AstridM said:

They went to one McDonald’s, found it closed, then spent time finding yet another McDonald’s. And sat down and ate - pastries. Because you know there aren’t many other places to find pastries in Italy. 🤣

Something tells me that the McDonalds in Italy get their pastries from Italian bakeries.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

The only thing I have to say in McDonald's defense when it comes to European travel is that it is one of the only places where one can find a drink with the amount of ice we Americans tend to like in a beverage.  In the very hot summer, much of Europe is not air-conditioned, or not air-conditioned well anyway and a a cold beverage in most places means sort of cool, no ice.  But, find a trusty Miceky D's and you can get as much ice as you want although they look at you as though you are nuts for paying for frozen water.

Diet Coke tastes different in Europe, no matter where you buy it, fountain, can or bottle.  I think they use a different artificial sweetener.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 7
  • Useful 2
29 minutes ago, Notabug said:

The only thing I have to say in McDonald's defense when it comes to European travel is that it is one of the only places where one can find a drink with the amount of ice we Americans tend to like in a beverage.  In the very hot summer, much of Europe is not air-conditioned, or not air-conditioned well anyway and a a cold beverage in most places means sort of cool, no ice.  But, find a trusty Miceky D's and you can get as much ice as you want although they look at you as though you are nuts for paying for frozen water.

Diet Coke takes different in Europe, no matter where you buy it, fountain, can or bottle.  I think they use a different artificial sweetener.

I remember when I was quite young Diet Pepsi tasted almost the same as regular.  Then they outlawed cyclamate, and it's never tasted as good.  Guess what, they use cyclamate in Europe.

• Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, Notabug said:

Diet Coke takes different in Europe, no matter where you buy it, fountain, can or bottle.  I think they use a different artificial sweetener.

And you know you will find a clean bathroom.

• Like 11
38 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

And you know you will find a clean bathroom.

That too.  My father's job involved spending a lot of time in his car, traveling from customer to customer all over the area.  He was a big fan of the McDonald's restroom.

• Like 7