Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Self-Portrait

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, link417 said:

I hope they are able to dive into the Russians before the end of the season, maybe create some cliffhanger that leads into Season 2. I feel like that plot would be infinitely more interesting, particularly what the matriarch is all about. I still don't get what she was trying to do when she told Desna that if what happened to Roller had happened to one of her own that she would hunt down the perpetrator(s).

Yes, I definitely want more on that. It really does seem like it's just hanging right now. I want to see it play out. Maybe Desna's new gynecologist boo who seems too good to be true is connected to it? And maybe Quiet Ann's new boo is connected to Uncle Daddy / Juanda to watch the crew?

6 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I'm disappointed in it too because it's pretty much the R-rated version of a controversial story arc from The Young and the Restless a couple of years ago. Some of the scenery is almost identical and there are scenes staged in the same ways. Stephen King's Misery aside, someone associated with this show likely is a fan of Y&R as well.

Roller does have a great body but I'm not a fan of watching someone get raped, especially repeatedly.

There was a similar story arc on The Bold and The Beautiful where crazy Quinn kept Liam locked up and repeatedly raped him.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I'm disappointed in it too because it's pretty much the R-rated version of a controversial story arc from The Young and the Restless a couple of years ago. Some of the scenery is almost identical and there are scenes staged in the same ways

Did I miss something, but isn't the house that  uncle daddy gave Bryce and Jenn..isn't that Rollers house? They were acting like it was new, but wouldn't Bryce and Jenn have known where roller lived? 

Also I need to share so please indulge me.I am sorry for sounding snooty, but I do enjoy this show and most of the characters but i am getting a little tired off all the gratuitous sex scenes. It's not that I am going to say "my poor children"...no I have the flipside..I am the caregiver of my 95 year old grandmother. I DVR the episodes and watch them after she goes to bed. Well, Sunday she got out of bed and came out with me. So she saw Quiet Ann, she saw Virginia and she saw roller!!! Now I love her dearly but I got the "what kind of filth r u watching lecture"  yet I was still amused she stayed and watched the whole episode.  She used to have the same problem with DALLAS in the 80's.  Compared to claws Dallas is like mr. Rogers. I just need 1 episode that is Grandma appropriate. 

Thanks for listening 

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Poohbear617 said:
52 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I'm disappointed in it too because it's pretty much the R-rated version of a controversial story arc from The Young and the Restless a couple of years ago. Some of the scenery is almost identical and there are scenes staged in the same ways

Did I miss something, but isn't the house that  uncle daddy gave Bryce and Jenn..isn't that Rollers house? They were acting like it was new, but wouldn't Bryce and Jenn have known where roller lived? 

Also I need to share so please indulge me.I am sorry for sounding snooty, but I do enjoy this show and most of the characters but i am getting a little tired off all the gratuitous sex scenes. It's not that I am going to say "my poor children"...no I have the flipside..I am the caregiver of my 95 year old grandmother. I DVR the episodes and watch them after she goes to bed. Well, Sunday she got out of bed and came out with me. So she saw Quiet Ann, she saw Virginia and she saw roller!!! Now I love her dearly but I got the "what kind of filth r u watching lecture"  yet I was still amused she stayed and watched the whole episode.  She used to have the same problem with DALLAS in the 80's.  Compared to claws Dallas is like mr. Rogers. I just need 1 episode that is Grandma appropriate. 

Thanks for listening 

Hi, this has happened before but that's not my quote.

25 minutes ago, Poohbear617 said:

i thought so at first but Roller's house was like right up on the water and Bryce/Jen's house seemed to have a big grass backyard in place of that. I think if it had been Roller's house they'd have said something about it, especially Uncle Daddy since he loved "his baby boy." But who knows?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

Thanks for listening 

I understand, my wife gave up in the first 15 minutes of the pilot when Roller went into the spa office with Desna.  I just figured she couldn't see the untold story in the promos that I surely saw coming. The house was just another big house, not Roller's but appropriate for a future leader of the local Dixie Mafia.

(edited)

Add me to the list of viewers who don't find the Chronicles of Roller and Crazy Rapey lady enjoyable television. I doubt that most viewers would find it enjoyable were the roles reversed.

Ass for the storyline itself, OLTL and Guiding Light did similar stories well about twenty years ago. It was cheap and crappy then and it's cheap and crappy now.

I too agree that something is up both with Quiet Anne's new chick and Desna's Haitian doctor.  As noted previously, if he goes miraculously turn out to be exactly who he appears to be, the return of Roller will crush Desna's chance at happy.

I can't wait for the fallout of Jen putting it together that Desna set up the Coombes'. Yes they were awful, and I will still argue that they got what they deserve, but Desna's role in the more likely than not inevitable downfall of Bryce cannot be ignored or excused.  Between Virginia's lies and Desna's schemes, Jen's family is facing serious issues.

Speaking of Virginia, the actress remains the weakest link on the show.  I guess she was hired based on her previous relationship because her talent certainly didn't gain her entry into the acting world. I stand by my belief that Virginia needs to go once this Roller storyline is over because the character is a liability; that much stupid should never be kept around.  Perhaps in the hands of a more capable actress I could develop an interest in the character, but as it stands, Virginia is little more than cannon fodder.

Forgot to add, I loved the show being willing to show the anti-black racism in the Asian community rather than acting as if we live in a world where unity in non white communities is a real thing.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 5
On 7/17/2017 at 1:05 AM, Raja said:

"Chinese" Virginia being part Vietnamese  in a world were the Koreans and not the Vietnamese have a lock on the local nail salon industry.

Maybe Teppi Hendren had a problem with them being Vietnamese...

On 7/17/2017 at 8:27 AM, peridot said:

I was laughing at the roller skate shoes, though.  I've only seen 13 year-olds wear those things.

Yes, and?  LOL

6 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

I just need 1 episode that is Grandma appropriate. 

Good luck with that!

I love this crazy show!

13 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

Desna's Haitian doctor.  As noted previously, if he goes miraculously turn out to be exactly who he appears to be, the return of Roller will crush Desna's chance at happy.

I also think not just because of what happened at the house that led to Roller being "killed" by Virginia but I don't think Desna's own feelings for Roller are so cut and dried.  As a friend said to me, seeing Roller from one episode and not taking into account that there is more than what we've been shown isn't the full story as it is clear there is more that was there through dialogue between other characters that will likely come in to play as most of what's been post pilot has been unsupported fanwank. I want to see the real deal and fallout, so I'm hoping it will be entertaining (unlike this terrible Mr. Emerson storyline). I am curious to see if the gynecologist really will be a stand up guy or if the too good to be true twist will happen. And what Desna will do either way. Definitely looking forward to seeing how this will play out. 

13 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

Speaking of Virginia, the actress remains the weakest link on the show.  I guess she was hired based on her previous relationship because her talent certainly didn't gain her entry into the acting world. I stand by my belief that Virginia needs to go once this Roller storyline is over because the character is a liability; that much stupid should never be kept around.  Perhaps in the hands of a more capable actress I could develop an interest in the character, but as it stands, Virginia is little more than cannon fodder.

Has Virginia shown any remorse for indirectly getting that guy killed with her crazy story to Uncle Daddy that she went with instead of sticking to Desna's plan? I'm hard on Virginia but more than her bad / dumb decisions that are problematic to me is her inability to admit remorse for her bad / selfish choices. I'm not sure if it's due to the actress being unable to show Virginia's remorse or the writing/directing of the character to be rapacious and shallow but I am not seeing any growth there since the pilot. If she's supposed to be a bad girl slowly growing up to be not so self-absorbed or even a grey mini-Desna, she's missing the mark wide. If the show can't give Virginia some layers in the next ep or two, including some self-awareness and remorse for those she has stepped on for "reasons," then I'm going to join your table that she can leave upon conclusion of this season. Polly going HAM on her wasn't enough, although it was a pleasure to watch. 

2 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

I also think not just because of what happened at the house that led to Roller being "killed" by Virginia but I don't think Desna's own feelings for Roller are so cut and dried.  As a friend said to me, seeing Roller from one episode and not taking into account that there is more than what we've been shown isn't the full story as it is clear there is more that was there through dialogue between other characters that will likely come in to play as most of what's been post pilot has been unsupported fanwank. I want to see the real deal and fallout, so I'm hoping it will be entertaining (unlike this terrible Mr. Emerson storyline). I am curious to see if the gynecologist really will be a stand up guy or if the too good to be true twist will happen. And what Desna will do either way. Definitely looking forward to seeing how this will play out. 

I think this is a good point about Desna and Roller's relationship. I think the the way people reacted to her at the funeral and finding out that he seemed to have presented her to others as his significant other was surprising to her. 

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

Has Virginia shown any remorse for indirectly getting that guy killed with her crazy story to Uncle Daddy that she went with instead of sticking to Desna's plan? I'm hard on Virginia but more than her bad / dumb decisions that are problematic to me is her inability to admit remorse for her bad / selfish choices. I'm not sure if it's due to the actress being unable to show Virginia's remorse or the writing/directing of the character to be rapacious and shallow but I am not seeing any growth there since the pilot. If she's supposed to be a bad girl slowly growing up to be not so self-absorbed or even a grey mini-Desna, she's missing the mark wide. If the show can't give Virginia some layers in the next ep or two, including some self-awareness and remorse for those she has stepped on for "reasons," then I'm going to join your table that she can leave upon conclusion of this season. Polly going HAM on her wasn't enough, although it was a pleasure to watch. 

I agree with your thoughts on Desna and Roller.  HE clearly had a relationship with Dean and we saw that even Desna was surprised to found that Roller claimed her as the woman in his life to to world, and while her visions/nightmares of Roller are undoubtedly linked to the fact that she was involved in the killing of someone, I also think that what was happening reflected that she felt more for Roller than she would for a mere sex partner.

You are also right in your assessment of Virginia.  She has shown no remorse for that man's death, because it is not in her wheelhouse to think of others. Don't forget that she dragged Polly into her murder plot once she figured things out, suggested her as the person to plant evidence on the Coombes and then was willing to throw Polly to the wolves the first chance she got.  Whether the failure of the character to come off as anything but the worst is script, director or actor based, I am unsure, but given the bunny scene no her crying for Desna to sleep in the bed with her because she was afraid, I suspect we are supposed to be starting to feel sympathy for the character.  However, the actress fails to convey anything but unlikable, nasty and stupid.

Just Saw that Callie Lee 29 literally had the same thought about the depth of Desna's relationship with Roller.

Edited by Happytobehere
Response to earlier reply.
  • Love 1
(edited)

Just watched the episode.  I have a different take on Roller and the Crazy Swamp Lady.  What bugs me isn't that she's raping Roller, but it's the tired trope of, of course it has to be a "mature", average looking woman.  The trope is that's the only way a woman like her can get a hot guy, or something like that.

I don't take anything on this show seriously because the show itself can be so silly at times.  I mean, how did Crazy Swamp Lady even get Roller into her home, chain him up like that?  She looked like she weighs 100 pounds.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3

Reading through the comments on this episode has me wondering if the other body on the boat was a Russian and Roller hadn't finished up his wet work yet. And perhaps the Russian matriarch is scoping out how far to slash and burn. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Just watched the episode.  I have a different take on Roller and the Crazy Swamp Lady.  What bugs me isn't that she's raping Roller, but it's the tired trope of, of course it has to be a "mature", average looking woman.  The trope is that's the only way a woman like her can get a hot guy, or something like that.

I don't take anything on this show seriously because the show itself can be so silly at times.  I mean, how did Crazy Swamp Lady even get Roller into her home, chain him up like that?  She looked like she weighed 100 pounds.  

I was thinking this also.

Regarding Jenn's new house - I thought it was the house where the Coombs were murdered.  

6 hours ago, Pallida said:

Reading through the comments on this episode has me wondering if the other body on the boat was a Russian and Roller hadn't finished up his wet work yet. And perhaps the Russian matriarch is scoping out how far to slash and burn. 

13 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I don't take anything on this show seriously because the show itself can be so silly at times.  I mean, how did Crazy Swamp Lady even get Roller into her home, chain him up like that?  She looked like she weighed 100 pounds.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Desna and Virginia set the boat on fire? Does Roller have any burns on his body? Are his clothes scorched?

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, topanga said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Desna and Virginia set the boat on fire? Does Roller have any burns on his body? Are his clothes scorched?

When they showed the nutter discovering him while she was boating, he was leaning against an uncharred section of the boat and out of his bag. Seemed like the back third of the boat was burned up but the rest was fine, it just had gotten stuck. So at some point he had regained consciousness to get out of the bag and away from the burned section of the boat. How he did it wasn't shown. 

14 hours ago, Neurochick said:

She isn't a bad looking woman. I don't think the issue at all is that she's unattractive as she isn't. She's attractive, IMO. The issue is that she's considerably mentally unstable. I think her brand of crazy would drive many men off much more than her age or looks. She easily could've have a wheelbarrow on hand to dump him in to move him to the house. It wouldn't have been that hard for her if she had the right tools to do it. Not to mention, considering she had a shock collar and bed shackles on hand, I suspect that this isn't the first time she's held a man captive in her imaginary "Mr. Emerson" world in order to force him to play her paramour. 

• Love 3

Has Virginia shown any remorse for indirectly getting that guy killed with her crazy story to Uncle Daddy that she went with instead of sticking to Desna's plan? I'm hard on Virginia but more than her bad / dumb decisions that are problematic to me is her inability to admit remorse for her bad / selfish choices. I'm not sure if it's due to the actress being unable to show Virginia's remorse or the writing/directing of the character to be rapacious and shallow but I am not seeing any growth there since the pilot.

As a character, I can buy that Virginia has no impulse control, and the desire to be center of attention, and not an iota of judgment (and no knowledge of cause/effect). She could be just that damaged/immature. But there's little or no subtlety to it (which may be the actor's lack of craft). Unless she turns out to have been very deep undercover, sometimes a mess is just a mess.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

She isn't a bad looking woman. I don't think the issue at all is that she's unattractive as she isn't. She's attractive, IMO. The issue is that she's considerably mentally unstable. I think her brand of crazy would drive many men off much more than her age or looks. She easily could've have a wheelbarrow on hand to dump him in to move him to the house. It wouldn't have been that hard for her if she had the right tools to do it. Not to mention, considering she had a shock collar and bed shackles on hand, I suspect that this isn't the first time she's held a man captive in her imaginary "Mr. Emerson" world in order to force him to play her paramour. 

Yes, she may be attractive, but not in the TV world.  She doesn't look like Desna or Jen.  She has grey hair and for a woman in most TV shows, that's a no.

Wheelbarrow?  Maybe, but the woman looks thinner than me and I don't think I could get a grown man into a wheelbarrow and move him anywhere.

BTW, I have a feeling that Roller is going to kill her, so I don't think we'll be seeing her for very long.

• Love 1

I don't care what she looks like or how old she is, she's got no business holding somebody as her sex slave.  Sure, we know Roller's a sleazeball, but all she knew was that a wounded hunk showed up in a burned out boat.  

It's going to be ugly what happens to her though.  

(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:41 AM, bilgistic said:

It was such a contrived plot device for Virginia to call Desna instead of the cops when she was hiding in the bathroom from the webcam guy. I'm still irritated about it.

I can see why she wouldn't call the police. Virginia (along with everyone else on this show) is a part of or on the periphery of the criminal underworld. Not to mention, she murdered someone (or so she thinks). She's probably wary of the police, and she should be given her propensity to say the wrong thing. The police might have shown up, taken one look at the scene and arrested them both. She'd be let go, but then she'd have to deal with possible court appearances due to being a crime victim. The police might have shown up at the house, and the guy could have downplayed the whole thing. So, it's better to call Desna. Ann can come and beat the shit out the guy, and everyone goes home. Done.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 8

So, it's better to call Desna. Ann can come and beat the shit out the guy, and everyone goes home. Done.

Not to mention that Uncle Daddy owns at LEAST one police officer.

• Love 1
(edited)

It was such a contrived plot device for Virginia to call Desna instead of the cops when she was hiding in the bathroom from the webcam guy. I'm still irritated about it.

These aren't the kind of folks who call the cops, they aren't. They deal outside the lines of the law, and even if they were law abiding, it's a reality that there are segments of our population who do not call on the cops when they need help because they are afraid of them. They'd call on anyone but a cop if they needed help.  So, a girl like Virginia not calling the cops, that I totally get, that definitely wasn't contrived IMO.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

These aren't the kind of folks who call the cops, they aren't. They deal outside the lines of the law, and even if they were law abiding, it's a reality that there are segments of our population who do not call on the cops when they need help because they are afraid of them.

Exactly.  Sometimes calling the cops just makes matters worse.

(edited)
On 7/21/2017 at 2:03 PM, sugarbaker design said:

Exactly.  Sometimes calling the cops just makes matters worse.

If she had, I don't see the cops believing her "I was only going to dance, not have sex with him" story as readily as Desna did, they'd probably arrest her for prostitution or something.

On 7/18/2017 at 3:55 PM, Chick2Chic said:

Yes, I definitely want more on that. It really does seem like it's just hanging right now. I want to see it play out. Maybe Desna's new gynecologist boo who seems too good to be true is connected to it? And maybe Quiet Ann's new boo is connected to Uncle Daddy / Juanda to watch the crew?

Juanda did say, "Those hussies [in re: Desna and Jen] know more about Roller's death than they're letting on." Now that Jen at least suspects Desna had something to do with it, and likely will find out the truth soon, I wonder if that will make the Dixie Mafia think she was in on it from the start if/when they find out? I'd like to think that Jen wouldn't rat Desna out to the DM but that might make her look like a guilty party as well.

Edited by link417

I get that the writers think that it's a hilariously dark joke for Roller, who likes getting choked during sex, to now be restrained by a shock collar around his neck. On the other hand: eww to the entire storyline.

I still hate the font they use for the opening credits.

Late to the party here.  I got hooked on the first 5 episodes On Demand, but this and the rest are $2.99 everywhere I look ($1.99 for SD).  I like this show a lot, but I think I might wait for them to be free somewhere legal.  Maybe before season 2 starts?  I don't know. 

Anyway, I am sick of this Roller storyline.  I kind of wish he had stayed dead.   I don't have anything to add to the awfulness of the storyline that hasn't already been discussed.  Even though it was predictable, I'm glad Desna won the nail competition.  I don't expect her good luck to last long, though, and I agree something's going to happen with too-good-to-be-true guy.  

• Love 2