Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
yeswedo

S07.E01: Skin in the Game

Recommended Posts

Quote

Mike returns to Pearson Specter Litt as Harvey takes the reins. Louis manages the new class of associates, while Donna and Rachel find their places in the new world order.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Ashand11 said:

As if a corporate secretary has $500,000. Also, since when is a secretary a partner?

She isn't.  And considering the lavishness of her apartment and wardrobe I can't think where she came by half a mil    I'm sure the show will explain it.

And frankly Donna doesn't do anything more at that firm than I've done at mine for 15 years.   I can just see me telling the partners I'm equal to them.  

I think I may be out.  

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, Carolina Girl said:

She isn't.  And considering the lavishness of her apartment and wardrobe I can't think where she came by half a mil    I'm sure the show will explain it.

And frankly Donna doesn't do anything more at that firm than I've done at mine for 15 years.   I can just see me telling the partners I'm equal to them.  

I think I may be out.  

No kidding lol.  She annoys me.  The way she talks to her bosses would never fly in a real workplace.  There is absolutely zero reason she should be a partner.  Its not like she's been at the firm 30 years,, its only been 10.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Ashand11 said:

No kidding lol.  She annoys me.  The way she talks to her bosses would never fly in a real workplace.  There is absolutely zero reason she should be a partner.  Its not like she's been at the firm 30 years,, its only been 10.

And then to equate herself with the CEO's of Dentons, Sidley & Austin or Graham & James?   They have advanced degrees and run national offices with hundreds even thousands of attorneys.  She's nothing more than a glorified office manager of a boutique firm.   She should be a partner because she had Harvey's back?   Geez girlfriend that comes with the job.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Ashand11 said:

As if a corporate secretary has $500,000. Also, since when is a secretary a partner?

Didn't they say in one of the episodes last season or the season before that Donna earns a *lot* more than the rest of the secretaries in the firm, and that Harvey was covering some of it from his pay?

I could understand if Donna got a promotion or new title or something, but... uhhhhh, partner? That's just a bit insane, even for this universe. I could even understand if she got to sit in on partner meetings as like... a support staff representative or something - but, uh, how, why did she become partner?

This episode, oh man, can whoever is writing Louis just.. stop? We need whoever has written the episodes that has had well written Louis to write more episodes.

At least we still have Gretchen?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I had planned on just stopping after GT left but don't have any new shows at the moment, so I caved and watched my recording of Suits.  I don't look for spoilers and don't really care one way or the other, but was wondering if the show was planning on killing off Rachel?  There were a couple of potentially anvil-y lines that made me think they might be. 

Donna buying in to the firm, it's dumb but no dumber than Mike, the felon and non-law school graduate being an attorney at Spector Litt, so whatever.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I agree with all the negative comments about Donna being made a partner ( a senior one, no less). I also don't understand Rachel's role. Is she an associate now? If so, why isn't she in the bullpen with the rest of the associates? Finally, writers, a brief is the end product of all the work done by the associates, not the starting point. I can't imagine why Louis needed eight associates working 24/7 on what he said was HIS brief. The opposition's brief, yes, but not your own.

Reality issues aside, I did like the dialogues between Mike and Harvey. Those were fun! And USA, either let them say "fuck" or use another word. Those half-hearted bleeps were really annoying.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I understand that "Suits" is really just a soap opera that happens to take place in a law firm, but seriously, it's just gotten too ridiculous at this point.  A secretary (even the secretary of the Managing Partner) would never, ever be made a partner, much less a senior partner.  And living in Manhattan, how would she have been able to accumulate half a million dollars as buy in.  And I agree with the previous poster that Rachel, as a first-year associate (didn't she just graduate from Columbia Law last season?) would never, ever be put in charge of anything, much less the associates program.  Ridiculous. 

 

I've got a fair amount of residual affection for Suits, but I'm on the verge, finally, of being out. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, OhTheHumanity said:

I understand that "Suits" is really just a soap opera that happens to take place in a law firm, but seriously, it's just gotten too ridiculous at this point.  A secretary (even the secretary of the Managing Partner) would never, ever be made a partner, much less a senior partner.  And living in Manhattan, how would she have been able to accumulate half a million dollars as buy in.  And I agree with the previous poster that Rachel, as a first-year associate (didn't she just graduate from Columbia Law last season?) would never, ever be put in charge of anything, much less the associates program.  Ridiculous. 

 

I've got a fair amount of residual affection for Suits, but I'm on the verge, finally, of being out. 

Sorry, but Rachel "leading" the associates is like the blind leading the blind - I don't care how many years you were a paralegal.  There's a big difference between doing research and having your name in the caption.  You'd be better off putting GRETCHEN in charge of them.  And since apparently in Pierson / Specter world, secretaries can become senior partners, it makes as much sense as anything else.  

At another site, it was said that her half mil buy-in came from her profits from "The Donna."  Which was another plot line I couldn't figure out.  Deleted from my DVR.  

Edited by Carolina Girl
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I, too, am disappointed in the plot choices made in this episode. But I shall watch to the bitter end. For fuck's sake, I'm still watching Grey's Anatomy.

Why do I do this to myself?

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm rationalizing some of the episode choices by assuming that after the firm almost went under, the survivors formed a bond that transcends the normal hierarchy.  Rachel taking over the associates to save the firm and Louis from himself seems almost normal in that context.  (Although I agree that even Gretchen would  have been a better choice.)         

The only thing this show gets right is Harvey and Mike. They bring out the best and the worst in each other. They are the OTP.

Oh - and the distillery scenes were kind of cool.  Not the acting, the equipment! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, OhTheHumanity said:

I understand that "Suits" is really just a soap opera that happens to take place in a law firm, but seriously, it's just gotten too ridiculous at this point.  A secretary (even the secretary of the Managing Partner) would never, ever be made a partner, much less a senior partner.  And living in Manhattan, how would she have been able to accumulate half a million dollars as buy in.  And I agree with the previous poster that Rachel, as a first-year associate (didn't she just graduate from Columbia Law last season?) would never, ever be put in charge of anything, much less the associates program.  Ridiculous. 

 

I've got a fair amount of residual affection for Suits, but I'm on the verge, finally, of being out. 

I agree.  It was one thing to ask me to "suspend my disbelief"; It's quite another to completely insult my intelligence.  

I had to laugh - another legal assistant came up to my desk this a.m. and said "did you SEE 'Suits' last night?  What a crock of absolute SHIT!!"  Then she laughed that maybe we should ask our Global CEO for "a seat at the table" since we'd been at the firm over 10 years.  

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, bros402 said:

At least we still have Gretchen?

You betcha!  I'd rather watch Gretchen.  The relationship she has with Louis is far closer to the reality of the relationship I have with MY lawyers than Donna has with anyone.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

As ridiculous as it may be, at least they're letting Donna and Rachel step up into more authority in Jessica's wake. I don't think it's going to be enough though. Harvey and Mike are going to turn that firm into a frat house in a skyscraper.

Last night's episode made me think the name of this show should be changed to "Another Stern Talking To" since every five minutes somebody was getting read the riot act. Then the last ten minutes is everybody kissing and making up. It really started to get silly to me.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Since when does a disteller pay for real estate in NYC or its environs?

Hate Donna.  Hate that the writers gave Gretchen that gross comment.  Loathe Mike's sappy girlfriend whose name I can't remember.

Followed a previous poster's lead and deleted this from my Tivo.  

Share this post


Link to post

Wow what a tough crowd. The premise of this show from day one was fantasyland. Believable of course not but there's enough interesting stuff for me to watch. Hey I use to watch Jerry Springer for my dose of reality.

Frankly 99% of TV commercial and cable is not based in the real world so enjoy it as entertainment. I will.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Comments:

1) I like the idea of Harvey and his therapist being a couple. They are a good match.

 

2) Mike is all grown up. The way he is carrying himself is more serious and mature than ever.

 

3) Gretchen’s hairstyle looked nice.

 

4) Differences I noticed with Patrick Adams (Mike) was that his face gained weight. And his hairstyle looks different, but not in a neat and nice way. It looked like he just come it straight across. And Meghan Markle (Rachael) face looks different and she looks pregnant. And I prefer her hairstyle being parted sideways as opposed to the middle.

 

5) Shout out to Imagine Dragons for their song Whatever it takes and Amy Winehouse Back to Black being featured on Wednesday ep!

 

6) Donna’s white fluffy looking dress was cute and pretty.

 

7)  Yea that was presumptuous of Rachael to even make a suggestion about taking over the associates, even if it was temporary. Louis had those associates first and they belong to him. And if Rachel wanted to talk to Louis about his behavior, she should have waited until he calmed down.

 

8) Mike and Oliver have a brother relationship. Mike is the older brother. And Oliver is the younger brother.

 

9) Donna telling Mike congrats was a tear jerking scene.

 

10) Why should Louis have to call Tara ?!! She did him dirty. He doesn’t owe her ANYTHING!

 

11) I am happy for Donna, but I am surprised that she is allowed to become partner without even being a lawyer.

 

12) Great acting and scenes during Wednesday’s episode!

LOL or\and Good lines:

 

1) Harvey to Mike: “Neil Steelman Jedi counselor.”

 

2) Harvey to Mike: “Besides I haven’t even told you the best part yet.”

Mike: What, you only have 2 weeks to live?

 

3) Louis to Gretchen: “But those associates have always been like children to me. My children.”

That was sweet of Louis to say. But he has an interesting way of treating his children. LOL!

 

4) Neil to Harvey: “Well that means you should have been here in 30 mins.”

Harvey: “Well I got news for you, I’m not Dominos.”

 

5) Rachel to Mike: When were you going to tell me?

Mike: If not before, then definitely after or never.

 

6) Gretchen to Rachel: You want to tell me what’s going on? Or do you want to keep firing your pistol in the wrong direction?


7) Harvey to Mike: You knew it the whole time didn’t you?

Mike: Who do you think you are talking to?

 

8) Neil to Harvey: Maybe you are as good as Jessica.

Harvey: Maybe I am, maybe I’m not. But the things we have in common are that were never going to be bullied by our clients.

 

9) Rachael to Louis: I think I know what you need.

Louis: If someone mentions Martha’s Vineyard

 

10) Donna to Mike: And from now on it’s Are you serious mama, have you got that pretty boy?

Mike: My god, Harvey’s created a monster, hasn’t he?

Donna: You have no idea.

Mike: Donna… it’s about time.

Share this post


Link to post

Last season's ending was a good one. and frankly i didn't see what more they could do. but i tuned in just to see. ok, donna's move opens up fresh possibilities. i'm dubious, but i'll stick around a bit longer.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/13/2017 at 9:05 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

I agree with all the negative comments about Donna being made a partner ( a senior one, no less). I also don't understand Rachel's role. Is she an associate now? If so, why isn't she in the bullpen with the rest of the associates? Finally, writers, a brief is the end product of all the work done by the associates, not the starting point. I can't imagine why Louis needed eight associates working 24/7 on what he said was HIS brief. The opposition's brief, yes, but not your own.

Reality issues aside, I did like the dialogues between Mike and Harvey. Those were fun! And USA, either let them say "fuck" or use another word. Those half-hearted bleeps were really annoying.

Here in good old PA, the USA Network actually let them air the word fucking. I was astounded.

Share this post


Link to post

I sincerely hope that this is the last season.  I even said it before; the sixth season finale would have been a perfect way to end the series.  But, I suppose the ratings say otherwise.

I'm a little sick of Donna myself.  Louis is back to being his normal, grouchy self.  Harvey is taking over as managing partner (saw that coming from a mile away).  Mike's finally a legitimate lawyer.  I honestly don't see how they can keep dragging it out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Funny that many of you are clearly people who work in law firms and are incredulous about Donna's partnership. Don't get me wrong, I am too. But I'm over here steaming over the therapist falls in love with her client and it's all okay for them to date trope. I'm a psychologist and everything about that storyline drives me insane. I agree with the poster above who said this has always just been a fun soap opera, but this is so far gone from the original fun, albeit ridiculous premise, that I just can't suspend my disbelief in any enjoyable way anymore. And every sentence uttered is. Just. So. Dramatic. 

Edited by suzyq8017
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, Utpe said:

I sincerely hope that this is the last season.  I even said it before; the sixth season finale would have been a perfect way to end the series.  But, I suppose the ratings say otherwise.

I'm a little sick of Donna myself.  Louis is back to being his normal, grouchy self.  Harvey is taking over as managing partner (saw that coming from a mile away).  Mike's finally a legitimate lawyer.  I honestly don't see how they can keep dragging it out.

I really hope this is the last season too.

Or that next season is the last one.

Or to put it in Suits-ese:
If this season isn't the last one, this better f---king end in some kind of apocalyptic shit for the firm and they goddamn better deal with it and the repercussions of it the the 8th season.

 

oh no are they going to kill Rachel and have it drive Mike the entire 8th season?

 

4 minutes ago, suzyq8017 said:

Funny that many of you are clearly people who work in law firms and are incredulous about Donna's partnership. Don't get me wrong, I am too. But I'm over here steaming over the therapist falls in love with her client and it's all okay for them to date trope. I'm a psychologist and everything about that storyline drives me insane. I agree with the poster above who said this has always just been a fun soap opera, but this is so far gone from the original fun, albeit ridiculous premise, that I just can't suspend my disbelief in any enjoyable way anymore. And every sentence uttered is. Just. So. Dramatic. 

I'm just a client of a therapist and all of the stuff with Harvey dating the therapist just gave me the heebie-jeebies. Like I could understand if they met like a few years down the road and decided to go out.

But 2 weeks after the time period stated in the ethics ends? Ew.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/12/2017 at 9:36 PM, Ashand11 said:

Also, since when is a secretary a partner?

 

On 7/12/2017 at 11:43 PM, Ashand11 said:

There is absolutely zero reason she should be a partner.  Its not like she's been at the firm 30 years,, its only been 10.

 

On 7/13/2017 at 0:10 AM, Carolina Girl said:

She should be a partner because she had Harvey's back?   Geez girlfriend that comes with the job.

 

On 7/13/2017 at 2:25 AM, bros402 said:

I could understand if Donna got a promotion or new title or something, but... uhhhhh, partner? That's just a bit insane, even for this universe. I could even understand if she got to sit in on partner meetings as like... a support staff representative or something - but, uh, how, why did she become partner?

 

On 7/13/2017 at 3:20 AM, tessaray said:

Donna buying in to the firm, it's dumb but no dumber than Mike, the felon and non-law school graduate being an attorney at Spector Litt, so whatever.  

 

On 7/13/2017 at 9:14 AM, OhTheHumanity said:

A secretary (even the secretary of the Managing Partner) would never, ever be made a partner, much less a senior partner. 

 

On 7/14/2017 at 2:33 AM, iheartET said:

I am happy for Donna, but I am surprised that she is allowed to become partner without even being a lawyer.

That's because in all 50 states it is forbidden for an attorney to partner with a non-attorney.  Only D.C. permits it, but "a New York attorney who is also licensed in the District of Columbia may not join a D.C. firm that has nonlawyer owners under arrangements that require him to either handle cases as a New York-based partner or manage a 'wholly-owned subsidiary law firm' in the state."  https://www.bna.com/ny-ban-nonlawyer-n17179922088/

In other words, except in DC, a  US lawyer cannot partner with non-lawyers. The CEO's Donna referred to were not in the US but the writers glided over that.  Non-lawyers are not subject to the same code of of ethics that lawyers are. A non-lawyer can't sign checks on escrow accounts.

On 7/15/2017 at 2:33 AM, suzyq8017 said:

Funny that many of you are clearly people who work in law firms and are incredulous about Donna's partnership. Don't get me wrong, I am too. But I'm over here steaming over the therapist falls in love with her client and it's all okay for them to date trope. I'm a psychologist and everything about that storyline drives me insane.

I completely agree. Mike can't be an attorney and Donna can't be a partner, since she isn't an attorney, either.  Donna actually has a better shot at becoming a lawyer than Mike, since she isn't a felon who faked being a lawyer!  The psychologist admitting that she fantasized about Harvey while treating him and yet continued to treat him demonstrates that she is not a good therapist.

On 7/15/2017 at 2:39 AM, bros402 said:

I'm just a client of a therapist and all of the stuff with Harvey dating the therapist just gave me the heebie-jeebies. Like I could understand if they met like a few years down the road and decided to go out.

But 2 weeks after the time period stated in the ethics ends? Ew.

She knows all his secrets. There remains very little for her to discover about him. It's almost as if she is his parent and he is a child who needs her guidance. "Ew" is right.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I've been waffling on this show the past few seasons.  It has gotten too ridiculous...I'm out.

I laugh and roll my eyes when they forcefully say "God Damn It" to each other.  So laughable!

Share this post


Link to post

Curious story lines and performances.  Some observations:
1) Apparently the administrative secretaries are the real experts in this law firm.   In fact, it appears the women are the only level-headed thinkers.  Yup...makes sense to me. 
2) Also, the leading men all need a woman to straighten them out.  Ok...that makes sense. 
3) Every lawyer (and new COO) has an office with a spectacular view.  Reminds me of the Customs House in downtown Boston.  (Of course, the views are faked with curtains...but so what?)
4)  How does Harvey drive that sports car through New York streets with absolutely no traffic?  Ah yes...willing suspension of disbelief.  I got it now.   Or, it is actually shot in Toronto...but same question. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 6:31 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:
On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 2:33 AM, iheartET said:

I am happy for Donna, but I am surprised that she is allowed to become partner without even being a lawyer.

That's because in all 50 states it is forbidden for an attorney to partner with a non-attorney.  Only D.C. permits it, but "a New York attorney who is also licensed in the District of Columbia may not join a D.C. firm that has nonlawyer owners under arrangements that require him to either handle cases as a New York-based partner or manage a 'wholly-owned subsidiary law firm' in the state."  https://www.bna.com/ny-ban-nonlawyer-n17179922088/

In other words, except in DC, a  US lawyer cannot partner with non-lawyers. The CEO's Donna referred to were not in the US but the writers glided over that.  Non-lawyers are not subject to the same code of of ethics that lawyers are. A non-lawyer can't sign checks on escrow accounts.

Oh ok thanks for the answer.

Share this post


Link to post

Hahahaha!

Harvey walks into the executive washroom. "You two better get your s#@$ together, because right now I've got some things to take care of." Then he proceeds to walk away, in the opposite direction of the bathroom entrance.

Either there are two ways into that bathroom, or else he just made a big dramatic exit on his way to #2. 

"Things to take care of" indeed.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎14‎.‎7‎.‎2017 at 9:33 AM, iheartET said:

Comments:

1) I like the idea of Harvey and his therapist being a couple. They are a good match.

I can understand that many women could fall for Harvey, but her therapist who has seen what a child he is - never! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎13‎.‎7‎.‎2017 at 6:39 PM, tessaray said:

I'm rationalizing some of the episode choices by assuming that after the firm almost went under, the survivors formed a bond that transcends the normal hierarchy.  Rachel taking over the associates to save the firm and Louis from himself seems almost normal in that context.  (Although I agree that even Gretchen would  have been a better choice.) 

Yes, they are constantly talking how they are "family". But that's not a good way to lead the firm. It's hard to evaluate objectively about family members' work, and even even if it succeeds, those who aren't considered "family", don't believe in objectivity.

We have also seen how envious Louis was of favor Jessica gave to Harvey.  

Edited by Roseanna · Reason: correcting grammar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size