Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Pluck Out the Heart of My Mystery

Rosaline and Benvolio work together to uncover the origins of the feud between the Montagues and Capulets; Lord Montague is forced to welcome an unannounced visit from his sister, who has a manipulative plan to deal with the Capulets.

(edited)

It's too bad this show has been virtually cancelled because things are finally getting interesting. 

So Lady Capulet is behind the war between the houses. SMH. What does she hope to accomplish with this? What is her end game? Because surely she knows that nothing good can come for her or anyone with what she's doing.

I knew Paris was shady. I'm disappointed that Livia is so wide eyed and naive. She buys everything Lady Capulet says hook line and sinker, same with Paris. He's well enough to go home yet he remains in the Capulet basement but she doesn't question it. He's a good looking guy who is showing her some interest and she's all in without thought.

I felt terrible for Benvolio. I knew the hooker was just playing him. Glad she finally ripped his heart out and showed him the truth about his delusions of them running off together. I loved his speech to Rosalind, very moving. And again, the chemistry was popping. It's too bad this show won't be on long enough for us to see their hate for each other turn to love. ?

I laughed aloud at Lord Montague offering to marry Rosalind since Benvolio was no longer an option and the subsequent horror on Rosalind and the Prince's faces at the offer. ?

Where was Lord Capulet this week? He was missed.

Good episode. But again, I'm disappointed that this show has been banished to a late Saturday night airing which means even less people will be watching.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 1

I am disappointed this show has been cancelled. Somewhat.  So far, they've given me every single trope I tend to adore.  If this show were to go on too long, they'd start giving me every trope I hate.

I loved this episode.  I knew the Count was shady and that he was perhaps a bit too close to Lady Capulet but I never considered he was the one in the streets.  Benvolio and Rosaline are way past the point of being able to convince me of their mutual hatred considering they keep looking out for one another.  And then tonight we get her as the only one who believes in his innocence, and they become [not quite] lovers on the run.

Oh and Escalus's judgment is way clouded by jealousy.  I'm sure he wants the handsome fiance of the woman he loves killed.  Lord Montague's willingness to step in as groom was hilarious to me. 

Ah well, I have the book checked out from the library.  I'm going try to keep renewing it so I can read it once this series wraps.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I am disappointed this show has been cancelled. Somewhat.  So far, they've given me every single trope I tend to adore.  If this show were to go on too long, they'd start giving me every trope I hate.

I loved this episode.  I knew the Count was shady and that he was perhaps a bit too close to Lady Capulet but I never considered he was the one in the streets.  Benvolio and Rosaline are way past the point of being able to convince me of their mutual hatred considering they keep looking out for one another.  And then tonight we get her as the only one who believes in his innocence, and they become [not quite] lovers on the run.

Oh and Escalus's judgment is way clouded by jealousy.  I'm sure he wants the handsome fiance of the woman he loves killed.  Lord Montague's willingness to step in as groom was hilarious to me. 

Ah well, I have the book checked out from the library.  I'm going try to keep renewing it so I can read it once this series wraps.

I think the reason that Benvolio and Rosalind insist on calling each other by last names instead of first names is because they are trying to remind themselves that they are supposed to hate each other.   They have formed a partnership where they trust and look out for each other but don't want to admit to themselves that a friendship is developing.  Benvolio's speech at the end is his acknowledgement of his belief in her and her going with him is her showing belief in him.  Going on the run with the world against them will just bring them closer and will probably force them to admit they don't hate each other.  I am loving their hate to love story.  When they finally start calling each other by first names it's going to be a nice moment.   I'm enjoying this ship so much and hate that we may not get to see the conclusion.  I'm glad there is a book which I will definitely read once the show ends.

I hate ABC screwing around with the show's schedule.  The low ratings won't improve with the lack of promotion, wide gaps between new episodes, and shuffling it around the prime time schedule.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Luckylyn said:

When they finally start calling each other by first names it's going to be a nice moment.   

They're already there. During his speech at the end of the episode at one point Benvolio called Rosalind by her name, and she did the same calling him Benvolio. 

It was a serious and emotional moment for both hence their guards were dropped and first names were uttered. 

It was and her leaving with him (and him asking her to go) was a turning point IMHO in their relationship. 

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Enero said:

They're already there. During his speech at the end of the episode at one point Benvolio called Rosalind by her name, and she did the same calling him Benvolio. 

It was a serious and emotional moment for both hence their guards were dropped and first names were uttered. 

It was and her leaving with him (and him asking her to go) was a turning point IMHO in their relationship. 

I can't believe I didn't catch that.  Now I have an excuse to watch that great scene again.

So what's the over/under on how long it takes Lady Capulet to do the math and realize that the Friar HAD to have been the one to put the fake suicide idea into Juliet's head, since he was the only one who could have performed the marriage ceremony for Juliet and Romeo?

And Lord Montague's sister is a hoot.  For someone who is supposed to be subordinate to him as the older sibling (and the patriarch of the House of Montague), she's got a lot of spunk.  I'd love to see more of her.

And yes, it's already obvious that Rosaline and Benvolio are warming to each other, even if neither is yet willing to recognize, much less admit, that they are starting to develop the same kind of attraction that their more famous cousins had.  I even flashed back to the Romeo and Juliet balcony scene during the Benvolio and Rosaline balcony scene in this episode.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

I even flashed back to the Romeo and Juliet balcony scene during the Benvolio and Rosaline balcony scene in this episode.

That was intentional, of course.

• Love 1

Well, then!  I figured Paris was untrustworthy, but I didn't predict that he was the hooded figure this entire time, and he was working with Lady Capulet to keep the Montagues and Capulets at each others' throats.  And poor Livia is none the wiser about any of this.  I hope she doesn't become collateral damage in all of this.

The Rosaline and Benvolio team-up was fun, and even if it's going through the "They hate each other on the surface, but clearly are attracted to each other underneath" plots, the actors are making it work.  Sucks that Benvolio got set-up, but he really should have known better then to think that Stella "loved" him bag. At least he got away, and now he and Rosaline are off to hunt down Friar Lawrence, who is wisely getting the hell out of dodge.

Escalus really doesn't have the temperament to be an effective king and lets his emotions get the better of him.  At least Isabella will hopefully calm down tensions between them and Venice.  She truly is the brain of this family, I think.

Tessa is somehow making Lord Montague seem almost like the nice sibling, which is really saying something.  But I do love whenever a new character shows up, and throws someone who is usually in charge off his or her game.  Curious to see how this plays out and if Lord Montague will be able to regain the upper hand.

Too bad this show was dumped to Saturdays and likely done for.  It's been pretty fun.

On 7/8/2017 at 11:11 PM, Enero said:

I laughed aloud at Lord Montague offering to marry Rosalind since Benvolio was no longer an option and the subsequent horror on Rosalind and the Prince's faces at the offer. ?

Yes.  LM is hilariously shady. He's a trip.........and so is his sister.  Even knowing that, my first reaction to his offer wasn't laughter though. He actually took me completely by surprise. I don't know why though.  Offering to marry a beautiful, young woman to advance his ambitions is right in his wheelhouse. He'd probably even expect to be lauded for his "sacrifice".  That's why I love his character.

I loved this episode overall.  It was very emotional.  I teared up when Roz told BV that the abandoned house that he found her in was her home.  Her speech about the victims of violence that no one ever accounts for really got to me. I also loved BV's plea to her at the end of the episode.

I hate that ABC didn't give this show a chance.

• Love 5
(edited)

I initially wasn't interested in this at all; but I caught part of episode 2, and I'm here for Lady Capulet's revenge against Friar Lawrence, and finding out who/what is behind perpetuating the feud between the families (and cities?).

(Although, I realize that getting a satisfying conclusion to either arc is slim with only 7 episodes.)

The part I thought was funny was when Rosalind is all "I'll get home fine, you should should watch your back, though; you in Crips territory."

Edited by Trini